PDA

View Full Version : Travel FAO Anyone Getting A Cup Final Bus From Easter Road/Hibs Shop..............

Mikey
11-05-2013, 12:01 PM
...or nearby!

This map shows the route of the Edinburgh Marathon.......

https://gsievents.r.worldssl.net/images/www.edinburgh-marathon.com/EMF12_maps/marathon-route-map2012.gif

It's safe to say that you won't be able to cross the red dotted line so if you live in Craigentinny, Portobello, Mountcastle, etc, you're going to have to get yourself to Leith Walk and then across to Easter Road. And remember it's a Sunday so you're going to have to go round Holyrood Park too as it'll be closed!

Give yourself plenty of time to get to your pick up point.

.Sean.
11-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Should be renamed 'The East Lothian Marathon'!

Viking
11-05-2013, 09:00 PM
...or nearby!

https://gsievents.r.worldssl.net/images/www.edinburgh-marathon.com/EMF12_maps/marathon-route-map2012.gif

It's safe to say that you won't be able to cross the red dotted line so if you live in Craigentinny, Portobello, Mountcastle, etc, you're going to have to get yourself to Leith Walk and then across to Easter Road. And remember it's a Sunday so you're going to have to go round Holyrood Park too as it'll be closed!

Give yourself plenty of time to get to your pick up point.

Any suggestions what route to take and where to get dropped off if im coming from the tranent area?!

Mikey
11-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Any suggestions what route to take and where to get dropped off if im coming from the tranent area?!

I'm going to pick up my lot at Mountcastle and the Jewel and head towards Cameron Toll, right at Kings Buildings, along to Bristo, over the Mound, down towards Leith Walk and across to Easter Road.

Not pretty!!

You might be better getting on at Kaimes as our bus is stopping there.

lord bunberry
11-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Does anyone know if you can cross the marathon route on foot

monktonharp
11-05-2013, 09:44 PM
...or nearby!

Give yourself plenty of time to get to your pick up point.ta for the map info Mikey, our buses are all leaving from the Milton area, will have to tell them no access via London rd, Regent rd at our departure times!:fuming:

Mikey
11-05-2013, 09:44 PM

I don't know for sure but I would expect not.

Mikey
11-05-2013, 09:46 PM
ta for the map info Mikey, our buses are all leaving from the Milton area, will have to tell them no access via London rd, Regent rd at our departure times!:fuming:

If you have no pick ups in town you could just go straight up to Straiton and onto the bypass from there.

lyonhibs
11-05-2013, 09:50 PM

If it's anything like the Paris marathon, then apart from the finishing straight, you will - in theory - be able to at certain points.

Best of luck though.

Viking
11-05-2013, 09:50 PM
I'm going to pick up my lot at Mountcastle and the Jewel and head towards Cameron Toll, right at Kings Buildings, along to Bristo, over the Mound, down towards Leith Walk and across to Easter Road.

Not pretty!!

You might be better getting on at Kaimes as our bus is stopping there.

good idea mate. I will let you know what we decide to do either way.

We shouldnt have this problem anyway as the game should be on the sat!!

monktonharp
11-05-2013, 10:09 PM
If you have no pick ups in town you could just go straight up to Straiton and onto the bypass from there.our 3 buses are Renfrew based and 2 came through town to get us last time. this time i'll tell them to go to the end o' the by-pass, split up at the Milton link and join up again down that route to hit the by-pass. 2 of the buses are filling at j.lodge so I'll wear my high viz vest and do banksman for them just before m/bank stadium, to get turned :greengrin I might get mistaken as a marathon steward!:greengrin

Mikey
11-05-2013, 10:09 PM
good idea mate. I will let you know what we decide to do either way.

We shouldnt have this problem anyway as the game should be on the sat!!

Let Paul know as he's borrowing BP's spreadsheet :greengrin

Makaveli
11-05-2013, 10:32 PM

When I ran it two years ago you could cross at certain points, but nowhere near the start. There were secure railings and with the heightened security at recent marathons I'd expect that to still be the case.

I'd seriously try to avoid the vicinity of the starting area if possible: you're talking 25,000 runners plus a fair crowd if it's sunny. The 9.50am London Road and 10am Regent Road starts are about as inconvenient as it could be. The Regent Road start was/is staggered, too (unsure about the other), so the initial volume of people takes a while to pass.

green&left
11-05-2013, 10:37 PM
Anyone know when the fences are erected? Struggling to see how I can get from Loganlea Terrace to the foot of the walk without a mental 5 mile detour!

Cheers for the heads up.

PerfectlyFranck
12-05-2013, 12:17 AM
We'll either be coming from the coach station or train station either 7-8.30

Does anyone know if the route will be walkable from either? I usually go the Canongate/Parliament way to Easter Road. :confused:

lord bunberry
12-05-2013, 04:47 AM
When I ran it two years ago you could cross at certain points, but nowhere near the start. There were secure railings and with the heightened security at recent marathons I'd expect that to still be the case.

I'd seriously try to avoid the vicinity of the starting area if possible: you're talking 25,000 runners plus a fair crowd if it's sunny. The 9.50am London Road and 10am Regent Road starts are about as inconvenient as it could be. The Regent Road start was/is staggered, too (unsure about the other), so the initial volume of people takes a while to pass.

I'm needing to get from portobello to leith walk so its looking like I'm going to have to drive miles round edinburgh to get there

hibbymac
12-05-2013, 05:14 AM
Anyone know when the fences are erected? Struggling to see how I can get from Loganlea Terrace to the foot of the walk without a mental 5 mile detour!

Cheers for the heads up.

If you are walking, you could walk to Lochend road just down from the Loch inn, then there is a walkway/cyclepath that runs under lochend road that would take you out near the stadium or continue on it and it comes out near the bottom of Easter Road.

lord bunberry
12-05-2013, 05:39 AM
If you are walking, you could walk to Lochend road just down from the Loch inn, then there is a walkway/cyclepath that runs under lochend road that would take you out near the stadium or continue on it and it comes out near the bottom of Easter Road.

I had forgotten about that, I will be able to park up round about restalrig road and walk along the walkway from there.

Jamesie
12-05-2013, 09:32 AM

10/10 for that man, had completely forgotten the walkway!:thumbsup:

hibee_girl
12-05-2013, 09:50 AM

Good shout! Didn't even think of the walkway and I use it everyday!

Mikey
12-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Looks like we've got a get out clause :thumbsup:

dp00
20-05-2013, 06:51 AM
Are these things not normally fibished by 9/10... its never caused me any issues before

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

oconnors_strip
20-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Are these things not normally fibished by 9/10... its never caused me any issues before

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Doesn't start til 9.50 on London road for the non professional runners

Mikey
22-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Is there anyrhing out there that shows which roads are closed?

hibee_girl
22-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Is there anyrhing out there that shows which roads are closed?

This is on council website

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/10468/edinburgh_marathon_traffic_restrictions_25-26_05_13

Hiber-nation
22-05-2013, 06:21 PM
This is on council website

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/10468/edinburgh_marathon_traffic_restrictions_25-26_05_13

And this on polis website...

http://www.scotland.police.uk/assets/pdf/keep_safe/ScottishCupTraffic2013

Mikey
22-05-2013, 07:03 PM
From that I'm thinking that buses can go up Easter Road, right onto London Road and up Leith Street.

The map in post 1 shows that London Road is part of the marathon route but I don't see it mentioned in the council's list of closed roads.

Hiber-nation
22-05-2013, 09:43 PM
The map in post 1 shows that London Road is part of the marathon route but I don't see it mentioned in the council's list of closed roads.

That's what I was wondering and according to the map the route goes down Lochend Road but its not listed as closed either. Might be worth checking.

Mikey
23-05-2013, 06:53 AM
That's what I was wondering and according to the map the route goes down Lochend Road but its not listed as closed either. Might be worth checking.

Our LRT insider is on the case :greengrin

Mikey
23-05-2013, 09:05 AM
I've got a wee bit more info about this. Buses can go down Easter Road, along Duke Street (or Albert Street if you don't mind speedbumps :greengrin ) and up Leith Walk. Then onto Leith Street and onto Princes Street or up the Bridges.

Princes Street isn't open to cars so that route is only good for buses.

Mikey
25-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Just bumping this as a final reminder to anyone heading to Easter Road tomorrow morning!!