PDA

View Full Version : Ian Murray interview in the Scotsman - A good read

Prawn Sandwich
11-05-2013, 08:52 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/ian-murray-thriving-in-father-and-sons-role-1-2926231

Holmesdale Hibs
11-05-2013, 09:49 AM
A good read, cheers for posting. Lots of good stuff in there but the most suprising bit for me was that he didn't laugh off the Riordan and Whittaker for Bobby Mann deal. I always thought that was a myth. :confused:

Judas Iscariot
11-05-2013, 09:51 AM
Great read...

Interesting views on how we prepared for last seasons cup final, think his preparation would've been better

Hopefully Pat gets it right this time :aok:

Jones28
11-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Very good read, thanks for posting!

Elephant Stone
11-05-2013, 10:19 AM
“I don’t think they realised the importance of that final, which is incredible, really.” If he was manager – maybe stop reading now, Pat – he’d have gone for a different build-up. “I thought what we did, getting out of Edinburgh and everything, was too low-key. I’d have made it massive, opened up training to the fans with a gala night at Easter Road on the Thursday night and on the day of the final got the team to leave from the ground so the players would see the punters on the street-corners and be in no doubt who and what they were playing for.”

Sounds like a good idea.

tamig
11-05-2013, 10:26 AM
A good read, cheers for posting. Lots of good stuff in there but the most suprising bit for me was that he didn't laugh off the Riordan and Whittaker for Bobby Mann deal. I always thought that was a myth. :confused:

Did wee fat Robbo not confirm that as fact? Don't think it's ever been a myth.

Andy74
11-05-2013, 10:42 AM
I think Ian Murray should wait until he's had some ups and downs himself before commenting on other managers too much.

zlatan
11-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Did wee fat Robbo not confirm that as fact? Don't think it's ever been a myth.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2765263/Celts-hell-can-make-you-Deek.html

Leighonel
11-05-2013, 10:43 AM
“I don’t think they realised the importance of that final, which is incredible, really.” If he was manager – maybe stop reading now, Pat – he’d have gone for a different build-up. “I thought what we did, getting out of Edinburgh and everything, was too low-key. I’d have made it massive, opened up training to the fans with a gala night at Easter Road on the Thursday night and on the day of the final got the team to leave from the ground so the players would see the punters on the street-corners and be in no doubt who and what they were playing for.”

Sounds like a good idea.

Fenlon Out, Murray In ;)

In all seriousness I would like Murray to be our manager one day.

Treadstone
11-05-2013, 10:47 AM
I think Ian Murray should wait until he's had some ups and downs himself before commenting on other managers too much.

I think its fair comment from Nid and I hope that PF would have done things differently if he had his time again.

MichelleHibs
11-05-2013, 10:49 AM

Fantastic quote! Murray certainly talks a good game and happy to see him doing well in his management venture :flag:

WestEndHibee
11-05-2013, 10:59 AM

Yeh it really was true! John Robertson was manager at the time with Donald park. I remember him saying that Williamson was desperate to get bobby Mann and Robertson and Park just chose the two they fancied most. Thankfully riordan came in just in time and banged in a few goals and the move was scuppered.

WestEndHibee
11-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Out of interest, does anyone know whether the team will be heading away before this cup final?

Baader
11-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Hope he becomes a good manager. Would like to see him back at ER some day if that proves to be the case...

Holmesdale Hibs
11-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Yeh it really was true! John Robertson was manager at the time with Donald park. I remember him saying that Williamson was desperate to get bobby Mann and Robertson and Park just chose the two they fancied most. Thankfully riordan came in just in time and banged in a few goals and the move was scuppered.

Must have missed that. Unbelievable. It sounded so rediculous I never considered it could be true. Well done to Petrie or whoever vetoed it.

Andy74
11-05-2013, 11:08 AM
I think its fair comment from Nid and I hope that PF would have done things differently if he had his time again.

It'll be fair comment when he's been there himself.

superfurryhibby
11-05-2013, 11:40 AM
It'll be fair comment when he's been there himself. Nonsense, given how wrong Fenlon got it last yearI think someone who was involved has a bir more insight than the likes of you or me. Nothing wrong with having an opinion.

Aldo
11-05-2013, 11:45 AM
The importance of the Cup Final is massive for the club IMHO. And last year in particular against your local rival.

Sorry if a player cannot get motivated for a cup final then they shouldn't be playing.

KeithTheHibby
11-05-2013, 11:46 AM

Ian Murray makes some pretty valid points especially the loan players who were at the club last year.

WestEndHibee
11-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Nonsense, given how wrong Fenlon got it last yearI think someone who was involved has a bir more insight than the likes of you or me. Nothing wrong with having an opinion.

To me and a few others on here it seemed like a good strategy at the time and Fenlon has a good cup pedigree behind him so I backed his decision. It really really didn't work but it's only too easy to comment on it after the event as Murray has. I admire the way Murray answers questions with honesty but his opinion may well change if he ever manages in a cup final.

--------
11-05-2013, 12:09 PM
The more I see and hear of Murray the better he comes over and the more respect I have for him. He's not afraid to court controversy and at times he can appear to be out of order, but that doesn't mean he's not right.

When he took over the Sons they had a total of 4 points, 2 draws and a win, from almost the first half of the season. After he took over they took 39 points from 12 wins and 3 draws - quite a turnaround. If Yogi had managed the same at Hartlepool, he'd still be in a job.

It's early days yet, but so far Ian seems to have what it takes to manage a football team. Next season will be a big challenge, in my opinion - he won't have any excuses as the team will be his team, and the training regime will be his too, right from the off.

And his assessment of the Final last year? 100% accurate. 5-1 going on 8 or 9 or more, and a lot of players who obviously had no clue what it meant to be there representing Hibernian. Football-wise, one of the worst days of my life.

superfurryhibby
11-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Sure, hindsight is a great thing. Not so sure what him and managing in a cup final has to do with his view as a player and a Hibee in relation to last years farce? He felt it could have been done differently and that's his insight. Too many people afraid to offer opinions in Scottish fitba In general. It's like a closed shop when it comes to not rocking the boat.

Andy74
11-05-2013, 12:10 PM
To me and a few others on here it seemed like a good strategy at the time and Fenlon has a good cup pedigree behind him so I backed his decision. It really really didn't work but it's only too easy to comment on it after the event as Murray has. I admire the way Murray answers questions with honesty but his opinion may well change if he ever manages in a cup final.

Exactly. Fenlon has won titles and cups. Murray is now a manager and should consider that when asked to comment on someone else in his profession. As noted its easy now for Murray to have a view of what should have been done. He has commented on Hughes previously too. He will have his own hard times in management Im sure and I think at this early stage he should concentrate on his own role.

superfurryhibby
11-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Exactly. Fenlon has won titles and cups. Murray is now a manager and should consider that when asked to comment on someone else in his profession. As noted its easy now for Murray to have a view of what should have been done. He has commented on Hughes previously too. He will have his own hard times in management Im sure and I think at this early stage he should concentrate on his own role.
See my post above. So, it's wrong to comment even when what you say is right? Reasonable comment is fine by me.

Billy Whizz
11-05-2013, 12:23 PM

Sounds like a good idea.
Ally Macleod did this before Argentina 78, and look want happened then

Andy74
11-05-2013, 12:24 PM
See my post above. So, it's wrong to comment even when what you say is right? Reasonable comment is fine by me.

Until he proves he would have got it right in the same situation no it's not really fair comment from another manager.

Scouse Hibee
11-05-2013, 12:26 PM

Tend to agree with this, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Maybe if the preparations had been as Murray preferred last year, we could all sit here now and say we put too much pressure on the players and should have taken them somewhere away from it all!

I would expect most managers to say it's up to PF how he prepares his cup final team after all he got them to the final.

Personally I think white designer suits is the way forward :wink:

superfurryhibby
11-05-2013, 12:34 PM
That's a tad restrictive in criteria. I thought you said it was better to wait until he had managerial up's n downs. Now he has to win a cup final before offeringhis views on one of the biggest farces in ourhistory, a game in which he was part of the squad. No probs with Murray's views whatsoever from me.

Hibs07p
11-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Out of interest, does anyone know whether the team will be heading away before this cup final?

Aye, I heard they've got a week away at the Cullane Hotel on the front of Leith Links. :wink:
GGTTH

Beefster
11-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Until he proves he would have got it right in the same situation no it's not really fair comment from another manager.

No-one can comment on something until they've been in the same situation and had a successful outcome?

blackpoolhibs
11-05-2013, 01:10 PM
No-one can comment on something until they've been in the same situation and had a successful outcome?

Murray can say what he wants, but because of the result, whatever he says folk will jump on it and agree.

If we'd had done what he said he'd have done, Fenlon would have been slaughtered for putting too much pressure on the team.

3pm
11-05-2013, 01:14 PM
The more I see and hear of Murray the better he comes over and the more respect I have for him. He's not afraid to court controversy and at times he can appear to be out of order, but that doesn't mean he's not right.

When he took over the Sons they had a total of 4 points, 2 draws and a win, from almost the first half of the season. After he took over they took 39 points from 12 wins and 3 draws - quite a turnaround. If Yogi had managed the same at Hartlepool, he'd still be in a job.

It's early days yet, but so far Ian seems to have what it takes to manage a football team. Next season will be a big challenge, in my opinion - he won't have any excuses as the team will be his team, and the training regime will be his too, right from the off.

And his assessment of the Final last year? 100% accurate. 5-1 going on 8 or 9 or more, and a lot of players who obviously had no clue what it meant to be there representing Hibernian. Football-wise, one of the worst days of my life.

I keep on hearing this 'could have been 8 or 9' crap. It could easily have been 1 or 2 if you take out massive deflections and penalties that never were.

I mind the waiter getting one kicked off the line but I can't recall Brown making too many saves either.

Well beaten but it's a myth about '8 or 9'.

superfurryhibby
11-05-2013, 01:19 PM
I keep on hearing this 'could have been 8 or 9' crap. It could easily have been 1 or 2 if you take out massive deflections and penalties that never were.

I mind the waiter getting one kicked off the line but I can't recall Brown making too many saves either.
We were diabolical and it could easilly have been much, much worse
. Ten men and 5-1 down with 20 to play. The worst day of my 40 odd years of supporting Hibs.

rcarter1
11-05-2013, 01:19 PM

Hear Hear.

Most games could easily finish 8-8 if you take all chances into consideration. And for that matter 6-2 could have been about 12-5.
What out of interest could 7-0 have been?

3pm
11-05-2013, 01:24 PM
We were diabolical and it could easilly have been much, much worse
. Ten men and 5-1 down with 20 to play. The worst day of my 40 odd years of supporting Hibs.

Don't dispute the diabolical bit.....the '8 or 9' is well OTT though.

WestEndHibee
11-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Don't dispute the diabolical bit.....the '8 or 9' is well OTT though.

I don't agree with this. Sitting there at 5-1 down, hearts looked like they could score with every attack. They were flooding us in midfield and up front and all we could do was boot it away and hope it didn't come back quickly. Then they just turned off the pressure I remember thinking "why have they done this" they could have easily gone for 7 or 8 and got rid of all our bragging rights. They switched off and still posed more of a threat than us. Darkest day of my football supporting life.

Danderhall Hibs
11-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Must have missed that. Unbelievable. It sounded so rediculous I never considered it could be true. Well done to Petrie or whoever vetoed it.

I'm sure we had a lucky escape by finishing bottom 6. If we had been top 6 the deal would've gone ahead but because bottom 6 he went with the kids.

Donald Park must've been rubbing his hands together.

silverhibee
11-05-2013, 02:53 PM
I'm sure we had a lucky escape by finishing bottom 6. If we had been top 6 the deal would've gone ahead but because bottom 6 he went with the kids.

Donald Park must've been rubbing his hands together.

Riordan and Whittaker would have had a say in this surely for it to happen, don't think they were ever asked and i know that Riordan would have turned it down anyway.

Beefster
11-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Murray can say what he wants, but because of the result, whatever he says folk will jump on it and agree.

If we'd had done what he said he'd have done, Fenlon would have been slaughtered for putting too much pressure on the team.

I'm not saying that I place that much importance in what Murray says. I was just questioning the point that he shouldn't be commenting because he hasn't managed a cup winning team. If that's the case, shut down Hibs.net, most football programmes on TV and radio, football journalism etc etc.

Danderhall Hibs
11-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Riordan and Whittaker would have had a say in this surely for it to happen, don't think they were ever asked and i know that Riordan would have turned it down anyway.

Just repeating what was printed a few years back mate.

JohnStephens91
11-05-2013, 03:25 PM
I don't agree with this. Sitting there at 5-1 down, hearts looked like they could score with every attack. They were flooding us in midfield and up front and all we could do was boot it away and hope it didn't come back quickly. Then they just turned off the pressure I remember thinking "why have they done this" they could have easily gone for 7 or 8 and got rid of all our bragging rights. They switched off and still posed more of a threat than us. Darkest day of my football supporting life.

Completely agree with this. It was horrible, Hearts really could have gone for the jugular and ended up with a scoreline that was 9-1 and it wouldn't have flattered them. Their defence just knocked the ball about amongst themselves as Doyle chased them down and couldn't do much else. It was pitiful to watch and for anyone denying the 8 or 9 they need to sit down and watch the match again. Sergio told Hearts to show respect and they did by not scoring again.

Danderhall Hibs
11-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Completely agree with this. It was horrible, Hearts really could have gone for the jugular and ended up with a scoreline that was 9-1 and it wouldn't have flattered them. Their defence just knocked the ball about amongst themselves as Doyle chased them down and couldn't do much else. It was pitiful to watch and for anyone denying the 8 or 9 they need to sit down and watch the match again. Sergio told Hearts to show respect and they did by not scoring again.

You're just repeating a myth started by Hearts fans.

silverhibee
11-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Just repeating what was printed a few years back mate.

No probs mate.

Dashing Bob S
11-05-2013, 03:46 PM
I like PF, but Murray is a shoe-in at ER if, in 12 months time, we are sitting anywhere near to where we are now in the table.

3pm
11-05-2013, 03:55 PM

So they would scored another 4?! No chance. Everytime they piled forward they'd have scored? Nope.

They needed help to get 5, bar Santana's chance I struggle to recall a really good chance they created of their own accord.

Well beaten and deservedly so but some of the 'could have been 8 or 9' comments are wide of the mark IMO.

WestEndHibee
11-05-2013, 03:55 PM
You're just repeating a myth started by Hearts fans.

Those were my real-time thoughts when I sat there towards the end of the game. the jambos have a habit of putting an horrendous amount of spin on things but not this time.

offshorehibby
11-05-2013, 04:29 PM
So everybody on here can have an opinion about last years final but not a Hibs supporter who just happens to be a manager.

--------
11-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Sure, hindsight is a great thing. Not so sure what him and managing in a cup final has to do with his view as a player and a Hibee in relation to last years farce? He felt it could have been done differently and that's his insight. Too many people afraid to offer opinions in Scottish fitba In general. It's like a closed shop when it comes to not rocking the boat.

That's my thought.

Not a lot of intelligent comment goes around in the game up here. Or even interesting comment.

--------
11-05-2013, 04:35 PM

:agree: That's exactly how I saw the game - we had a quarter of the game to go and to all intents and purposes had ceased to function as any sort of a cohesive team. Hearts (for a reason I'll never fathom) took their foot off the gas completely in the last 20 minutes.

chrisski33
11-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Interesting read but not impressed with comments made about clownwood -
These same fans might be surprised to hear ex-Hibee captain Murray enthuse about Colin Calderwood, too. “I liked the way Colin did things. He was like Tony in that he didn’t shout, and at Dumbarton I’m trying to be like them. If we lost on the Saturday under Alex he’d sometimes send us out running on the Monday, but my view is the game’s gone by then.”

God Petrie
11-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Aidan Smith's writing really irritates me. He talks as a Hibs fan but not like one.

Hibby Bairn
11-05-2013, 07:38 PM
I like PF, but Murray is a shoe-in at ER if, in 12 months time, we are sitting anywhere near to where we are now in the table.

I don't particularly like Fenlon's football and I wish we were looking at someone like IM now.

Andy74
11-05-2013, 07:41 PM
I don't particularly like Fenlon's football and I wish we were looking at someone like IM now.

Behave. What's Murray done? It's fine for him to give it the talk when he hasn't been in that position.

overdrive
11-05-2013, 07:50 PM
I got the impression from that article that he would be reluctant to take the hibs job if he was offered it with what he said about Mixu's experience as manager.

Billy Whizz
11-05-2013, 07:53 PM
I got the impression from that article that he would be reluctant to take the hibs job if he was offered it with what he said about Mixu's experience as manager.

I think he's a fair bit away from being Hibs manager. Let him get experience at part-time Dumbarton, next season will be a big challenge for him, then he can manage a full/time team for a bit, before possibly getting a crack at Hibs.

Andy74
11-05-2013, 07:56 PM

Yeah good one.

shamo9
11-05-2013, 08:00 PM

Why not? He's seen first hand what it did to Hibs heroes like Frank Suazee, Mixu and John Hughes. One of them was so humiliated that he's refused any contact with the club for a decade. One of them was called 'Mixup' by many on here and pressured out of the club even though he beat Hearts twice and finished top six. The last still gets the piss taken out of him to this day.

John Collin's tenure didn't exactly end well either. It's a bit of a poisoned chalice going back. It tends to only sour your legacy more than anything. Even Turnbull left on bad terms and wasn't too happy with Hibs for a wee while.

Andy74
11-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Why not? He's seen first hand what it did to Hibs heroes like Frank Suazee, Mixu and John Hughes. One of them was so humiliated that he's refused any contact with the club for a decade. One of them was called 'Mixup' by many on here and pressured out of the club even though he beat Hearts twice and finished top six. The last still gets the piss taken out of him to this day.

John Collin's tenure didn't exactly end well either. It's a bit of a poisoned chalice going back. It tends to only sour your legacy more than anything. Even Turnbull left on bad terms and wasn't too happy with Hibs for a wee while.

That's all great if he'd got himself into a position of being offered it. To say just now he'd turn down the Hibs job is frankly ridiculous.

jgl07
11-05-2013, 08:13 PM

Exactly. If there was any agreement it was a theoretical one.

Nothing ever appeared in the press about this until Blobbo raised it several years later in the EEN.

What exactly would have been the attractions of a move to Inverness and a drop down to the First Division for Whittaker or Riordan?

It remains an urban myth.

shamo9
11-05-2013, 08:20 PM
That's all great if he'd got himself into a position of being offered it. To say just now he'd turn down the Hibs job is frankly ridiculous.

I don't think he would turn it down unless he thought he wasn't ready. I'm just saying he is well aware that if things didn't work out we would turn on him on quite quickly. That's the way of modern football and it must be quite hard for people who are fond of the club to be vilified by the most important part of it, the fans.

That said, he's already been through it by going to Rangers so it probably wouldn't phase him. Might be difficult for his family though.

Hibby Bairn
11-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Behave. What's Murray done? It's fine for him to give it the talk when he hasn't been in that position.

Well I think he has made much more progress in 6 months at Dumbarton than I have seen at ER in the past 18 months. They seem to be an attacking side that scores lots of goals. Just the sort of football I want to watch.