PDA

View Full Version : Should Sparky play on Sunday

Irish_Steve
10-05-2013, 08:40 PM
I`m kinda 50/50 on this one - I want him to score about 20 goals on Sunday but am also worried that the merricks will try to kick him off the park, putting him out of the Cup Final - any thoughts?

SMAXXA
10-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Yes

sleeping giant
10-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Yes

monktonharp
10-05-2013, 08:53 PM
definitely no.remembering the time Riordan was injured (or banned) from a semi against that mob. we lost, big style although other factors came into play

woodythehibee
10-05-2013, 08:54 PM
100% yes.

SteveHFC
10-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Nah play Kuqi instead :thumbsup:

thekaratekid
10-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Nah play Kuqi instead :thumbsup:

:agree:

He's going to need his match sharpness back so he can score the winner in the final.

FromTheCapital
10-05-2013, 09:01 PM
I'd at least start him and depending on how the game is going, maybe take him off after 60-70 minutes. We need our best possible eleven out their on Sunday to beat them but need to make sure that we have a full strength squad for the final. :agree:

Robinho08
10-05-2013, 09:05 PM
No, the knuckle draggers will do their upmost best to cripple him. Guaranteed!

monktonharp
10-05-2013, 09:09 PM
No, the knuckle draggers will do their upmost best to cripple him. Guaranteed! aye, on the instructions of that muppet Locke.

sleeping giant
10-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Bet you Leigh is gagging to play.

Waxy
10-05-2013, 09:16 PM
No.Play kuqi.Give Leigh the last 10 mins if we aren't winning.
all they seem to care about is our poor scottish cup record and they'll do anything to keep it going.
IF WE PLAY LEIGH FROM THE START THEY WILL CROCK HIM.

He can play them next year as a Scottish cup winner.

Hiber-nation
10-05-2013, 09:17 PM

Of course he is and he will play. We can't go there and not play our best team.

Sir David Gray
10-05-2013, 09:19 PM
I was initially of the opinion that he should be nowhere near Tynecastle on Sunday but I'm a bit undecided now.

I think he'll want to play and score against them at Tynecastle and to boost his chances of reaching 30 goals for the season so I would probably start him and see how the game's going and then take him off at around the hour mark.

I really dread seeing him leave on a stretcher though, 2 weeks before the final. :boo hoo:

Hibbyradge
10-05-2013, 09:31 PM
If you were a professional footballer, would you deliberately crock an opponent to stop them playing in a cup final?

hibsbollah
10-05-2013, 09:32 PM
I would love it if Kuqi scores. A big belly flop in front of the Roseburn end. Legend status for one Hibs goal.

I'm definitely in the 'save Leigh for Hampden' camp.

Sir David Gray
10-05-2013, 09:32 PM
If you were a professional footballer, would you deliberately crock an opponent to stop them playing in a cup final?

Most wouldn't but I believe that some might.

Hiber-nation
10-05-2013, 09:34 PM

When was a player last deliberately crocked in an SPL game? Neil Berry on Paul Wright was a long long time ago...

PeterboroHibee
10-05-2013, 09:40 PM
I cant see any Hearts player deliberately targeting Griffiths to stop him playing in the cup final. That isnt to say that he wont be on the end of some heavy challenges, its a derby and they will want to win it as much as us.

I think we need to take the risk and play him, we want him scoring and in form for the final.

Woody70x2
10-05-2013, 09:43 PM
100% he plays... Honest pros don't go out to maim other players. Tough tackling yes, but not to cause injury. Anyone Hearts player doing that would be reprimanded heavily anyway... and would be treated like a nonce in a high security prison by every Hibs fan out on the streets :greengrin

Stringer
10-05-2013, 09:46 PM
I would play him in the hearts and killie game. Rest him against Dundee

Robinho08
10-05-2013, 10:14 PM
aye, on the instructions of that muppet Locke.

Exactly my thoughts!

LioNeilMessi
10-05-2013, 10:17 PM
I have a feeling that the players of Hibs/Hearts don't hate each other like we, the fans, do. :wink:

Griffiths received two PFA nominations from his fellow pros, the Hearts players may not like him but they will surely respect him enough to not intentionally injure him. Keep him away from Ryan Stevenson though - just because that brainless bandit never thinks before he puts the foot(s) in.

He should play, 100%.

#FromTheCapital
10-05-2013, 10:19 PM

I fully believe that **** such as Circus freak tattoo man would. He has proven time and time again that he is a dirty footballer and if it meant getting the jambos back on his side after his past exploits then he would without doubt.

monktonharp
10-05-2013, 10:19 PM
If you were a professional footballer, would you deliberately crock an opponent to stop them playing in a cup final?sorry, cant agree with or even understand your attitude. there has been bad blood between both teams for years and mainly comeing from there side in my opinion. that gorgie mob are smarting, because we emptied them from the cup, they as a man.... throughout the club/fans see themselves as a bigger club than us and they love to rub it in re- 111 years and want that to remain as such. the best way to achieve that would be to injure key players before the final. don't give me any tripe about professional players. what if some bugger decides to dish out a "professional foul" on Griffiths?. he is one of the main reasons that we have an outside chance of getting a few breaks,causing a few problems with the Celtic defence,having the guts ,drive and above all, determination to make things happen.why risk all that, when we don't need to??????????

Vault Boy
10-05-2013, 10:39 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/hibs-boss-won-t-rest-his-stars-for-derby-showdown-1-2925706

I think Leigh will play, but I'd like the inclusion of one or two other youngsters, could provide a bit of flair and vibrancy.

neilmartinrocks
10-05-2013, 10:48 PM
I would imagine that most of us , if we were living the dream, would be raging if we told "you're not playing in the derby".
Let him play sub him if we have to.

Up The Bracket
10-05-2013, 11:08 PM
I have a feeling that the players of Hibs/Hearts don't hate each other like we, the fans, do. :wink:

Griffiths received two PFA nominations from his fellow pros, the Hearts players may not like him but they will surely respect him enough to not intentionally injure him. Keep him away from Ryan Stevenson though - just because that brainless bandit never thinks before he puts the foot(s) in.

He should play, 100%.

This, they don't I remember Leigh Griffiths having banter with Templeton on twitter before the 1-1 derby and I see lots of the younger lads speaking to the likes of Holt and Walker too.

Apart from clowns like Stevenson and Zaliukas, there is, in the main, a mutual respect between the players. Although, I know for a fact that a certain Ryan McGivern absolutely despises them.

silverhibee
10-05-2013, 11:15 PM

Had a we discussion with someone about this Mr Radge, he said players just don't think like that before a game and the only thing on there minds will be to win on Sunday, and leqoc will just want the win, he will have them fired up for it but he certainly won't be telling his players to go out and deliberately do damage to a opponent, he doesn't want his players getting sent off in the game, his sole intention is 3 points.

The only worry in the game to pick up a injury will be a heat of the moment challenge from a player, it's a derby game and the hefty challenges will go in no doubt, hopefully everyone in green on the pitch comes through the game unscathed on Sunday.

So yes i would play Sparky and give him 65 minutes of the game then sub him to give him a rest.

cam75
10-05-2013, 11:30 PM
Most wouldn't but I believe that some might.

Greahme souness 86 game comes to mind,I'd keep LG on the bench and if we get a pen or free kick in the 89th min bring him on...

PeterboroHibee
11-05-2013, 06:49 AM
This, they don't I remember Leigh Griffiths having banter with Templeton on twitter before the 1-1 derby and I see lots of the younger lads speaking to the likes of Holt and Walker too.

Apart from clowns like Stevenson and Zaliukas, there is, in the main, a mutual respect between the players. Although, I know for a fact that a certain Ryan McGivern absolutely despises them.

Exactly, Im sure a lot of the players will know each other, especially from the various levels of the national team and possibly from youth football depending on where they are from. They are professionals and despite the rivalry, I really cant see them wanting to hurt another player.

Stevenson would be the only one Id really worry about, hes an animal and likely to put a bad challenge on any player of any team, let alone Griffiths.

Onceinawhile
11-05-2013, 07:02 AM

When was a player last deliberately crocked in an SPL game? Neil Berry on Paul Wright was a long long time ago...

Brellier breaking Scott Brown's leg wasn't quite so long ago.
Neither was Stevenson's challenge on mcpake.

The Harp
11-05-2013, 07:06 AM
Maybe it's just the worrier in me but I wish he wasn't involved in this one. The presence of 'tattoo man' on the park is reason enough to keep Sparky off it.
Playing him is a gamble, and one not worth taking IMO.

greenpaper55
11-05-2013, 07:28 AM
I think he should play, Griffiths is seen in the same light as Riorden by the cheats , i think they will be nervous every time he gets the ball so for that reason alone he should be in the team. Beating them is as good as a cup final for me any day.

TornadoHibby
11-05-2013, 07:29 AM
I would imagine that most of us , if we were living the dream, would be raging if we told "you're not playing in the derby".
Let him play sub him if we have to.

What do you think about Joe Hart not starting in today's FA Cup Final then? :dunno: :confused:

SMAXXA
11-05-2013, 07:40 AM
What do you think about Joe Hart not starting in today's FA Cup Final then? :dunno: :confused:

Decision made at start of the season that the other keeper would be the cup keeper

Baader
11-05-2013, 07:42 AM
No. I wouldn't trust that lot one bit. Save him for the final.

PeterboroHibee
11-05-2013, 08:27 AM
No. I wouldn't trust that lot one bit. Save him for the final.

Youd have him go around 3 weeks without playing a game of football?

I could understand maybe not playing him midweek against Killie or only around a half against Dundee, but we need our best players match sharp and hopefully on form.

MrRobot
11-05-2013, 08:39 AM

There's nothing professional about hearts mate.

Hibbyradge
11-05-2013, 08:39 AM
sorry, cant agree with or even understand your attitude. there has been bad blood between both teams for years and mainly comeing from there side in my opinion. that gorgie mob are smarting, because we emptied them from the cup, they as a man.... throughout the club/fans see themselves as a bigger club than us and they love to rub it in re- 111 years and want that to remain as such. the best way to achieve that would be to injure key players before the final. don't give me any tripe about professional players. what if some bugger decides to dish out a "professional foul" on Griffiths?. he is one of the main reasons that we have an outside chance of getting a few breaks,causing a few problems with the Celtic defence,having the guts ,drive and above all, determination to make things happen.why risk all that, when we don't need to??????????

:hilarious

What attitude? What tripe?

I asked a question. I didn't give my opinion.

Baader
11-05-2013, 08:54 AM
Youd have him go around 3 weeks without playing a game of football?

I could understand maybe not playing him midweek against Killie or only around a half against Dundee, but we need our best players match sharp and hopefully on form.

Not three weeks. Just against that manky mob

duffers
11-05-2013, 11:56 AM
I'm torn. If that wee scrote Stevenson is playing, he will try and half Griffiths. But he is also the only one that could potentially get us a result

superfurryhibby
11-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Recent atrocities like tatoo coward on McPake and McHattie on Done make me concerned about Leigh being crocked. I say no way.

Keith_M
11-05-2013, 02:26 PM
He HAS to play tomorrow. This is Hearts, remember?

I want us to beat that lot in the league and it actually be in the record books as a win!

superfurryhibby
11-05-2013, 02:57 PM

I want us to beat that lot in the league and it actually be in the record books as a win!
At this stage of the season Hesrts mean nothing.

heretoday
11-05-2013, 03:00 PM
He should definitely play. I don't think we've much chance in the final anyway.

Keith_M
11-05-2013, 03:10 PM
At this stage of the season Hesrts mean nothing.

I couldn't disagree more. I personally think we have a slim to no chance of winning the final and this at least would be a worthwhile achievement

Diclonius
11-05-2013, 03:14 PM
I've had some time to think about whether or not we should play a weakened team and my answer is no.

Regardless of what our game is in two weeks time, tomorrow is an Edinburgh derby. And like it or not, EVERY competitive derby is important, whether it is all or nothing to play for. If they beat us on Sunday then we'll all be on a downer and they'll be on top of the world, regardless of whether we play a full strength or weakened team.

I'll be there tomorrow and if I see a lack of fight or passion in our team then I'll be extremely disappointed - one of Pat's main objectives after last season was to improve our derby record and the sheer volume of posts regarding "oh who cares" and "it's their cup final" will be of absolutely no comfort should we just surrender that - oh, and by the way, I bet you that we'll be seeing "not good enough, Fenlon GTF" or "should have played a full strength team" posts out in abundance if we get hammered.

Let's face it, Griffiths or not we still only have a 10-20% chance of winning a game against a team with a transfer budget and player quality over ten times of what we have. If we beat Celtic, we'll need a whole lot more going for us than just our best player playing.

I think both games are important, and I don't want us handing over an Edinburgh derby - and with it, our unbeaten run - to increase our chances of success a tiny wee bit in the other. If we win it, we'll win it.

Craig_in_Prague
11-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Fenlon says he wants to win last 3 league games. To stand any chance of that, Sparky must play.
We haven't beat them in the league for a long time.
Pat tries to earn 0-0 against them at Tynecastle.

I envisage Sparky playing and also a full team, but also think we will lose.

NOLA
11-05-2013, 03:37 PM
should ask sparky if he wants to play :greengrin guessing the answer would be YES

Iggy Pope
11-05-2013, 04:27 PM

Yes. And I am certain they are out there.

Diclonius
11-05-2013, 06:59 PM

How come? Prior to arriving here he had no ties to the club.

monktonharp
11-05-2013, 07:24 PM
I've had some time to think about whether or not we should play a weakened team and my answer is no.

Regardless of what our game is in two weeks time, tomorrow is an Edinburgh derby. And like it or not, EVERY competitive derby is important, whether it is all or nothing to play for. If they beat us on Sunday then we'll all be on a downer and they'll be on top of the world, regardless of whether we play a full strength or weakened team.

I'll be there tomorrow and if I see a lack of fight or passion in our team then I'll be extremely disappointed - one of Pat's main objectives after last season was to improve our derby record and the sheer volume of posts regarding "oh who cares" and "it's their cup final" will be of absolutely no comfort should we just surrender that - oh, and by the way, I bet you that we'll be seeing "not good enough, Fenlon GTF" or "should have played a full strength team" posts out in abundance if we get hammered.

Let's face it, Griffiths or not we still only have a 10-20% chance of winning a game against a team with a transfer budget and player quality over ten times of what we have. If we beat Celtic, we'll need a whole lot more going for us than just our best player playing.

I think both games are important, and I don't want us handing over an Edinburgh derby - and with it, our unbeaten run - to increase our chances of success a tiny wee bit in the other. If we win it, we'll win it.Ok, your points are valid and noted but do take this as fact. without Griffiths in the final we have no chance! take it you're going just for a day oot?

Mon Dieu4
12-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Id rest him haha

Jones28
12-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Definitely safer to not risk him

:greengrin:

hibby rae
12-05-2013, 12:54 PM
I wish I was female so I could have Sparky's babies.

chrisski33
12-05-2013, 01:01 PM
well im glad sparky played! well worth the risk

Nailrod
12-05-2013, 03:14 PM
I wish I was female so I could have Sparky's babies.Yeah. Well, if I meet him out on the town tonight, I'm going to get him to give me one up the butcher's entrance, just on the off-chance...

JIm
12-05-2013, 03:16 PM
I wouldn't play him, not worth risking it :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
12-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Sparky now has 3 matches to try and reach 30 goals, I really hope he achieves it, he has been superb for us....

ano hibby
12-05-2013, 04:01 PM
He was p*ss poor. Did nothing all game then hits a lucky free kick.
Riordan like.

:)

Sprouleflyer
12-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Sparky now has 3 matches to try and reach 30 goals, I really hope he achieves it, he has been superb for us....

That would be fantastic, however I would rest him and some of the other certain starters for the final for the Killie game, but would play pretty much the main team against Dundee on Saturday.

Keith_M
12-05-2013, 04:11 PM

Thank You :thumbsup:

Robinho08
12-05-2013, 07:02 PM
No, the knuckle draggers will do their upmost best to cripple him. Guaranteed!

I take it back now. :agree:

monktonharp
12-05-2013, 10:55 PM
definitely no.remembering the time Riordan was injured (or banned) from a semi against that mob. we lost, big style although other factors came into play I am sitting here with a huge slice of humble pie on my lap, and it feels so good. already eaten half of it, in the boozer. well done Leigh and all the lads today, also a special mention to the fans that turned up in person, and turned up the volume throughout the game