PDA

View Full Version : Matt Done released by Barnsley

Winston Ingram
09-05-2013, 05:44 PM
http://mobile.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/article/barnsley-fc-retained-list-090513-814715.aspx?pd=635036868000000000

Bit of a shock. I would have thought his pace, trickery and pinpoint delivery would have been an asset to any club :confused:

LioNeilMessi
09-05-2013, 05:46 PM
So is he our player now? :cb

Winston Ingram
09-05-2013, 05:48 PM

Looks like he's nobodies:aok:

Purehibee_MYB
09-05-2013, 05:48 PM

We should be so lucky.. Just hope all the money isn't being put behind getting Griffiths, when this is clearly too good an opportunity to turn down

Aldo
09-05-2013, 05:50 PM

Bloody hope no.

TheFamous1875
09-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Thought he played well on Sunday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Billychaotic182
09-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Tbh we only got him in on loan as we missed out on Gregg Wylde

Aldo
09-05-2013, 06:36 PM
Tbh we only got him in on loan as we missed out on Gregg Wylde

Wonder if there is a chance we could get him in the summer (Wylde that is)

SaulGoodman
09-05-2013, 06:44 PM
The famous Hibs support getting right behind our players as usual..

Scouse Hibee
09-05-2013, 06:45 PM

Done is not our player :wink:

Eyrie
09-05-2013, 06:47 PM
Done hasn't shown enough for us to get a deal here, but this will give him an extra incentive to play well in the remaining three league games in case there is anyone looking at him. Good luck to him.

superfurryhibby
09-05-2013, 06:48 PM

Neither is Leigh.

Purehibee_MYB
09-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Neither is Leigh.
He's one of our own though :greengrin :flag:

Scouse Hibee
09-05-2013, 06:50 PM
Neither is Leigh.

I'll raise you McGivern & Claros :greengrin

superfurryhibby
09-05-2013, 06:53 PM
I'll raise you McGivern :greengrin

Claros, touche?

Scouse Hibee
Claros, touche?

Too slow :greengrin

superfurryhibby
I'll raise you McGivern & Claros :greengrin

Swift edit, lol

hibs4thecup1988
09-05-2013, 06:58 PM

Yup. Gets right on my nerves. Done is another being played out of position. A left winger being played on the right...

I think he has done well so far, scored a very important goal at Rugby Park too.

I'd keep him for his pace and wanting to get to the bye-line

SaulGoodman
09-05-2013, 07:00 PM

Neither am I but I get more support walking down the steps for my half time pie than Done gets on the pitch :wink:

Scouse Hibee
09-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Neither am I but I get more support walking down the steps for my half time pie than Done gets on the pitch :wink:

Perhaps that's because you are able slip past a couple of punters on your way to the pie stand and then deliver a perfectly placed pie into your gob once in a while. :greengrin

Winston Ingram
09-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Yup. Gets right on my nerves. Done is another being played out of position. A left winger being played on the right...

I think he has done well so far, scored a very important goal at Rugby Park too.

I'd keep him for his pace and wanting to get to the bye-line

Can I ask how you know he's playing out of position?

Winston Ingram
09-05-2013, 08:01 PM

Maybe you're showing some potential in the technique you are using when walking down the steps, the pace you are doing it at and also you are accurate enough in the delivery of the pie to merit some encouragement from the fans around you?

LaMotta
09-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Perhaps that's because you are able slip past a couple of punters on your way to the pie stand and then deliver a perfectly placed pie into your gob once in a while. :greengrin

:rotflmao:

rossi
09-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Don't rate the guy much, but can't see what he's done (sic) to deserve a whole thread slagging him off. People wonder why players aren't too keen on signing for us.

SaulGoodman
09-05-2013, 08:13 PM
I am glad people appreciate my efforts in eating my half time pie, I'm currently on my way down to Wolves to terminate my contract and will be hopefully signing a two year pie eating contract with Hibs.

lord bunberry
09-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Don't rate the guy much, but can't see what he's done (sic) to deserve a whole thread slagging him off. People wonder why players aren't too keen on signing for us.

I don't wonder why player's don't sign for us it's because someone offers them more money, to suggest that signing targets are knocking us back because of our supporters is silly

Winston Ingram
09-05-2013, 08:51 PM

Yes. You're right.

Can see it now. Rod in negotiations with an agent...

RP: so, he's spoken tae PF & he's happy with his proposed role in the team?
Agent: Aye
RP: So we're agreed on the money & length of contract?
RP: Is the club a high enough standard for him?
RP: He likes the city?
RP: What's the problem then?
Agent: Well he's decided not tae come because of a thread on 1 of yer fans forums.:bye:

blackpoolhibs
09-05-2013, 08:54 PM
I am glad people appreciate my efforts in eating my half time pie, I'm currently on my way down to Wolves to terminate my contract and will be hopefully signing a two year pie eating contract with Hibs.

I hate these short term contracts, i'm into my 50th year. Should be due a piestimonial soon.

SaulGoodman
09-05-2013, 08:59 PM
I hate these short term contracts, i'm into my 50th year. Should be due a piestimonial soon.

Time for you to step down and let the younger pie eaters with the faster metabolisms into the team :wink:

hibs4thecup1988
09-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Can I ask how you know he's playing out of position?

Possibly due to the fact he is left footed, played left wing at previous clubs, comes here and sir pat plays him right wing...

cabbageandribs1875
09-05-2013, 09:10 PM

any examples ? :)

Winston Ingram
09-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Possibly due to the fact he is left footed, played left wing at previous clubs, comes here and sir pat plays him right wing...

David Silva, Juan Mata, James McFadden, Chris Waddle, Jason Punchoen, Arvidas Novikovas are all left footed have played left wing at prev clubs and play on the right.

On the flip side, Cristiano Ronaldo, David Ginola, Nani, Robert Pires, Zinedine Zidane, Alex Harris all played on the left, are right footed & have played on the right.

What's yer point?

superfurryhibby
09-05-2013, 09:48 PM
David Silva, Juan Mata, James McFadden, Chris Waddle, Jason Punchoen, Arvidas Novikovas are all left footed have played left wing at prev clubs and play on the right.

On the flip side, Cristiano Ronaldo, David Ginola, Nani, Robert Pires, Zinedine Zidane, Alex Harris all played on the left, are right footed & have played on the right.

What's yer point?

Like these are helpful comparisons right enough.

Scouse Hibee
09-05-2013, 09:55 PM

What's yer point?

My Skoda just doesn't handle like my Ferrari yet they are both cars how can that be?

Winston Ingram
09-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Like these are helpful comparisons right enough.

What do you mean by 'helpful'?

I asked how someone who claimed Done was playing out of position, how he knew he was playing out of position.

The response given was, he is left footed and has played LW before. I provided a generous amount of examples over a range of generations & abilities of players who have successfully played in the position under the criteria provided.

More than helpful I think

Vault Boy
09-05-2013, 10:36 PM

What's yer point?

To be fair, it's relative to the players themselves whether they are comfortable on the opposite flank or not. Although there a number of good examples here of players who are comfortable on their opposing side, it isn't applicable to every wide player. Some players are massively more effective when given the freedom to cut inside on their stronger foot (Ronaldo, for example) so playing on the opposite flank is their strength. On the other hand, there are plenty of players who are at their best on playing on the same side as their strongest foot, it all depends on the style of their play and what their strongest points are.

On Done, he has had a couple of very poor games, a couple of decent games and a couple of fairly good games. I don't think he is quite as bad as some may suggest but I feel that Harris is already a much better player. If he was going to inhibit the wage bill and prevent another signing he can keep away, if not, then he may yet improve his game and become a decent 2nd option on the wing. (An area in which we are massively lacking depth).

stoneyburn hibs
10-05-2013, 06:45 AM
[QUOTE=hibs4thecup1988;3593602]Yup. Gets right on my nerves. Done is another being played out of position. A left winger being played on the right...

I'd keep him for his pace and wanting to get to the bye-line[/QUOTE

Done and Harris were like chalk and cheese on Sunday, Done was scared to take on a player with the ball at his feet. Delighted he is only on loan.

Winston Ingram
10-05-2013, 06:48 AM
[QUOTE=hibs4thecup1988;3593602]Yup. Gets right on my nerves. Done is another being played out of position. A left winger being played on the right...

Done and Harris were like chalk and cheese on Sunday, Done was scared to take on a player with the ball at his feet. Delighted he is only on loan.

Done has played 9 games for us and hasn't beaten a man once

hibs4thecup1988
10-05-2013, 07:30 AM
[QUOTE=stoneyburn hibs;3594061]

Done has played 9 games for us and hasn't beaten a man once

Don't talk nonsense. Probably the same guy that bashes everything green in front of me on a saturday

As for your earlier examples. What a load of mince. He PREFERS to play LEFT WING it is is FAVOURED position. Happy?

Not beat a man...haha. Heard it all now.

superfurryhibby
10-05-2013, 07:31 AM
What do you mean by 'helpful'?

I asked how someone who claimed Done was playing out of position, how he knew he was playing out of position.

The response given was, he is left footed and has played LW before. I provided a generous amount of examples over a range of generations & abilities of players who have successfully played in the position under the criteria provided.

More than helpful I think

Well you may think and I may think not, is that ok? It would be more valid if you were to provide more examples of SPL level players rather than a list that included some of the greatest players to have kicked a ball.

hibs4thecup1988
10-05-2013, 07:31 AM

Fair enough, and I agree. Harris looks up for it. But to say done is scared is wrong.

stoneyburn hibs
10-05-2013, 07:35 AM
[QUOTE=stoneyburn hibs;3594061]

Fair enough, and I agree. Harris looks up for it. But to say done is scared is wrong.

Incapable then, countless times during his appearances he has cut back inside and looked to make the pass rather than trying to beat the man

SaulGoodman
10-05-2013, 07:48 AM
People have had it in for Done since he joined, it doesn't matter what he does now he'll never be good enough.

See: Donaldson, Vaz Te etc.

Winston Ingram
10-05-2013, 07:49 AM
[QUOTE=Winston Ingram;3594064]

Don't talk nonsense. Probably the same guy that bashes everything green in front of me on a saturday

As for your earlier examples. What a load of mince. He PREFERS to play LEFT WING it is is FAVOURED position. Happy?

Not beat a man...haha. Heard it all now.

Ok, again, how do you know he prefers left wing?

As for my examples of being mince, they are players that fall into the criteria YOU provided so why is that mince?

As for not beat a man, i've had the misfortune to watch every minute of this guy's time with us and no he hasn't as yet beat a man

When replying, can you consider giving some evidence rather than unsubstantiated opinion. Ta

Treadstone
10-05-2013, 07:51 AM
People have had it in for Done since he joined, it doesn't matter what he does now he'll never be good enough.

Have you ever considered the premise that he isn't good enough ? Personally I think there is better out there to improve us and possibly in the youth ranks too.

SaulGoodman
10-05-2013, 07:53 AM
Have you ever considered the premise that he isn't good enough ? Personally I think there is better out there to improve us and possibly in the youth ranks too.

Personally I think he was better than Harris against Killie (barring the goal of course) He certainly kept the ball better, of course no one would admit that.

Treadstone
10-05-2013, 07:55 AM
Personally I think he was better than Harris against Killie (barring the goal of course) He certainly kept the ball better, of course no one would admit that.

Who is the better option for us Done or Harris ?

hibs4thecup1988
10-05-2013, 07:57 AM
[QUOTE=hibs4thecup1988;3594090]

Ok, again, how do you know he prefers left wing?

As for my examples of being mince, they are players that fall into the criteria YOU provided so why is that mince?

As for not beat a man, i've had the misfortune to watch every minute of this guy's time with us and no he hasn't as yet beat a man

When replying, can you consider giving some evidence rather than unsubstantiated opinion. Ta

Exactly why I didn't want to post about players.

I KNOW HE PREFERS LEFT WING BECAUSE HE PLAYED THAT AT BARNSLEY. Comprendi??? I'm sure he said it enough times.

Again as regards never beating a man I find it hilarious. If he had never beaten a man he wouldn't be starting for us.

The other players are world class. That's why it was rubbish.

I agree with "Meh". Almost as if it doesn't matter what players do people form an opinion before they even join and won't back them. Sad really.

Winston Ingram
10-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Well you may think and I may think not, is that ok? It would be more valid if you were to provide more examples of SPL level players rather than a list that included some of the greatest players to have kicked a ball.

That's fine. I asked a simple question and when people are expressing different views it's usual to provide evidence to support your argument. Without it, it's nothing more than 'just cos i say so'.

Rather than me providing more examples maybe it'd be a better idea that perhaps he provided better reasoning behind the claim that he's left footed and played left wing before?

As for players who have who have played on their the opposite side of their natural foot that have played in the SPL you can have as many as you want - Johnny Hayes, Kris Commons, James McFadden, Derek Riordan, Aiden McGeady, Arvidas Novikovas, Jamie Walker, Alex Harris, James Dayton, David Templeton, Paddy McCourt...

Winston Ingram
10-05-2013, 08:10 AM
[QUOTE=Winston Ingram;3594105]

Exactly why I didn't want to post about players.

I KNOW HE PREFERS LEFT WING BECAUSE HE PLAYED THAT AT BARNSLEY. Comprendi??? I'm sure he said it enough times.

Again as regards never beating a man I find it hilarious. If he had never beaten a man he wouldn't be starting for us.

The other players are world class. That's why it was rubbish.

I agree with "Meh". Almost as if it doesn't matter what players do people form an opinion before they even join and won't back them. Sad really.

So just the unsubstantiated 'I KNOW' again then eh?

As for 'he said' did he tell you or is this something else you can't back up?

HibeeMG
10-05-2013, 08:13 AM
Done hasn't shown enough for us to get a deal here, but this will give him an extra incentive to play well in the remaining three league games in case there is anyone looking at him. Good luck to him.

Or he could go into hiding to try to prevent an injury that would stop him getting a contract somewhere.

Winston Ingram
10-05-2013, 08:19 AM
Or he could go into hiding to try to prevent an injury that would stop him getting a contract somewhere.

...since January?

RoscoHibby
10-05-2013, 08:25 AM
I'll be disappointed if this boy is in a hibs shirt next season, shown next to nowt for me. And I totally agree with Winston, not once have I seen this guy beat a man, seen him try it once, just kicked it off the fullbacks heel n out for a throw, rest of the time its just indecision, slowing down attacks that 99% of the time results in a square or backwards pass, wee Louie could do this better, plus he can tackle as well. Done.

Stevie Reid
10-05-2013, 08:27 AM
He has been a disappointment so far, but nowhere near as bad as many have made out. He has one of the attributes that we were crying out for in January (pace), but didn't seem to have much of an appetite for a few of the games that he's played in, which is unusual for someone going out on loan to get games, and as such, hasn't shown the kind of desire to beat a man that pacey wide men normally have. The emergence of Harris has further compounded the belief that Done doesn't have what it takes to make a significant impact in his remaining time with us, though we was pretty good on Sunday.

Whilst it was unfortunate that we missed out on Wylde at the last minute, if we had got him, we may not have seen the rise of Harris this season, which has been one of the highlights.

Andy74
10-05-2013, 08:30 AM
Don't really get the stick he gets. Put two cracking balls in v Killie at the weekend and I think he keeps the ball pretty well. Makes no odds what side he plays on, it's pretty common depending on style of play for wingers to be on the side of their weaker foot.

I'm pretty sure we could get better but that doesn't mean we have to give the guy so much abuse.

JimBHibees
10-05-2013, 08:36 AM
Don't really get the stick he gets. Put two cracking balls in v Killie at the weekend and I think he keeps the ball pretty well. Makes no odds what side he plays on, it's pretty common depending on style of play for wingers to be on the side of their weaker foot.

I'm pretty sure we could get better but that doesn't mean we have to give the guy so much abuse.

Agree I dont think he is the best and can be frustrating at times however he has done ok in some of the games we have played well in at United in the league and Killie in the cup and and who knows he may do a job against Celtc in the final.

blackpoolhibs
10-05-2013, 08:37 AM
Agree I dont think he is the best and can be frustrating at times however he has done ok in some of the games we have played well in at United in the league and Killie in the cup and and who knows he may do a job against Celtc in the final.

Nowhere near as bad as some are making out. :agree:

superfurryhibby
10-05-2013, 08:58 AM
That's fine. I asked a simple question and when people are expressing different views it's usual to provide evidence to support your argument. Without it, it's nothing more than 'just cos i say so'.

Rather than me providing more examples maybe it'd be a better idea that perhaps he provided better reasoning behind the claim that he's left footed and played left wing before?

As for players who have who have played on their the opposite side of their natural foot that have played in the SPL you can have as many as you want - Johnny Hayes, Kris Commons, James McFadden, Derek Riordan, Aiden McGeady, Arvidas Novikovas, Jamie Walker, Alex Harris, James Dayton, David Templeton, Paddy McCourt...

Winston, you never read my previous posts properly. Someone else said he was left footed and played left wing before, My point was that I favour players playing on their natural side. One of the reasons is that they are able to put in a cross without the need to cut inside onto the favoured foot. It is widely recognised in football and has been, I would imagine, since the game began?

I have to laugh at your "cos I said so" stuff. Is that not the pot calling the kettle?

Craig_in_Prague
10-05-2013, 09:03 AM
We are meant to have changed our signing policy and try get 'quality over quantity'
IMHO - We shouldn't sign him and instead give Harris a good deal,
He isn't that bad, but just don't think he is particuarly good either - many other sides have better wingers and in Harris anyway, we have already better.

I would prefer if we can find a right footed player to play RW.
Chris Humphrey doesn't fancy a wee move to Edinburgh does he :-)

--------
10-05-2013, 09:05 AM

What sort of season has Clayton had this year, btw?

Possibly both?

Careful now, Andy - that's too much like moderation and common sense for this forum.

Seems to me that the sensible thing to do would be to see how he does till the end of the season, and if we aren't sure of getting someone better, offer him a contract?

I suppose it's one way of silencing the visiting support - give our own players so much stick that they don't have to bother.

SunshineOnLeith
10-05-2013, 09:11 AM
I think one thing we can agree on, is that posting in BLOCK CAPITALS is the best way to win an internet argument.

Leishy1995
10-05-2013, 09:19 AM
I've never seen him beat a man, Harris is playing on his "weaker" side and can excite us all so I'm sure done can do the same, yet he still rarely gets past a full back if ever.

Scored a tap in vs killie but other than that I can't remember him doing well.

I was excited when people i know down south described him to me, gave him a chance but he at no point performed, it to me is like McGivern who has gave away multiple pens all year yet fans are desperate to keep him.

In 5 years time will I be begging us to sign another McGivern or a Done? No.

--------
10-05-2013, 09:21 AM
i think one thing we can agree on, is that posting in block capitals is the best way to win an internet argument.

oh no it isn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Treadstone
10-05-2013, 09:52 AM

Possibly both?

Seems to me that the sensible thing to do would be to see how he does till the end of the season, and if we aren't sure of getting someone better, offer him a contract?

Not for me. Harris is already a far better player. Fenlon unlikely to play two wingers on a consistent basis, there would be no point keeping a player who has shown little to be understudy and on half decent money. If you can't get better use the money on other areas of the team not just on someone by default.

AJWisme
10-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Personally I don't really think he's got it as a footballer. Would be disappointed if we gave him a contract.

Don't really understand why everyone is getting so upset about it, it's just opinions....

Winston Ingram
10-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Winston, you never read my previous posts properly. Someone else said he was left footed and played left wing before, My point was that I favour players playing on their natural side. One of the reasons is that they are able to put in a cross without the need to cut inside onto the favoured foot. It is widely recognised in football and has been, I would imagine, since the game began?

I have to laugh at your "cos I said so" stuff. Is that not the pot calling the kettle?

I hadn't read your previous post no as I was replying to your post on an answer I had given on someone else's question. All I'm looking to establish was how he knew Done was out of position.

As for pot/kettle...how so?

JohnStephens91
10-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Obviously Done is not the greatest player we've ever had at Hibs, but all the talk of him never beating a man are wide of the mark. I seem to recall him doing it against Aberdeen in the cup when he came on and he held the ball up well in that game. He was one of our better performers in the 3-1 defeat against St Johnstone and beat men in that game. At Kilmarnock in the cup he scored and played well too I think. I've seen every minute of him at Hibs and he is a decent player I think, but nothing more than that. He was having a good game against Kilmarnock on Sunday too even if he did fluff his lines once or twice.

I think people see him as an easy target as he has played a couple of shocking matches up here for us so he won't get as much backing as someone slating Griffiths or Harris. He likes to get stuck in and isn't afraid of putting in a challenge and is relatively good at supporting the right-back when he plays on the right-wing too and as I've already said he has beaten players in his time at Hibs so the people saying he hasn't are just making up facts to suit their arguments. He may not be the best player at the club or the best to have ever played for the club, but he is far from what people are saying about him.

hibs4thecup1988
10-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Obviously Done is not the greatest player we've ever had at Hibs, but all the talk of him never beating a man are wide of the mark. I seem to recall him doing it against Aberdeen in the cup when he came on and he held the ball up well in that game. He was one of our better performers in the 3-1 defeat against St Johnstone and beat men in that game. At Kilmarnock in the cup he scored and played well too I think. I've seen every minute of him at Hibs and he is a decent player I think, but nothing more than that. He was having a good game against Kilmarnock on Sunday too even if he did fluff his lines once or twice.

I think people see him as an easy target as he has played a couple of shocking matches up here for us so he won't get as much backing as someone slating Griffiths or Harris. He likes to get stuck in and isn't afraid of putting in a challenge and is relatively good at supporting the right-back when he plays on the right-wing too and as I've already said he has beaten players in his time at Hibs so the people saying he hasn't are just making up facts to suit their arguments. He may not be the best player at the club or the best to have ever played for the club, but he is far from what people are saying about him.

Agreed

Godsahibby
10-05-2013, 11:23 AM
oh no it isn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless it's in capitals with FACT act the end!

Up The Bracket
10-05-2013, 11:27 AM

This, I still back him as much as I back every other player at a game, but we have far better in our youth team and in our squad. I'd have Done behind Harris, Spoony, Cairney, Handling, David Paul and Jamie Beaton.

And yes, I go to U20 games regularly.

Hibee87
10-05-2013, 11:29 AM

Can I add that he has just come back from an injury and is prob still getting back to fitness....you only need to look at Claros to see what a full pre season can do for you.

I think Done has played a good couple of games for us, and wasnt barsnleys player of the year a year or 2 back for no reason.
If were getting rid of spoony I would be tempted to offer him a year deal to see what he can really do. he might be good cover as well if need be.

jury is defo still out on him, but ive sene glimpses to suggest he has somthing.

Againt killie at the weekend he was one of our better players imo

Hibee87
10-05-2013, 11:30 AM
p.s i fully expect him and harris to start on the wings on Sunday :agree:

Treadstone
10-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Can I add that he has just come back from an injury and is prob still getting back to fitness....you only need to look at Claros to see what a full pre season can do for you.

As he started the season for Barnsley in the first team, I am assuming he had a full pre-season.

Hibee87
10-05-2013, 11:37 AM
As he started the season for Barnsley in the first team, I am assuming he had a full pre-season.

I never said he didnt with barnsley :confused:, but he got a bad inury (leg or knee or somthing) early this season, so when he came to us I think he had just returned from said injury and is maybe still gettin back to full match fitness.........he's played what 5 or 6 games for us, gie the boy a chance :wink:

Treadstone
10-05-2013, 11:49 AM
I never said he didnt with barnsley :confused:, but he got a bad inury (leg or knee or somthing) early this season, so when he came to us I think he had just returned from said injury and is maybe still gettin back to full match fitness.........he's played what 5 or 6 games for us, gie the boy a chance :wink:

Apologies, I thought you were implying that by your reference to Claros. From the evidence so far to my eyes he hasn't improved us nor looks likely to. Harris has offered so much more in similar game time to Done and was inexperienced to boot. I would be disappointed if PF thought he was worthy of a new contract. All my opinion.

SaulGoodman
10-05-2013, 11:58 AM
What sort of season has Clayton had this year btw?.

Last time I seem him on SSN he was man of the match, but that was longer than a month ago..

Anyone that used to play for a team that played their home games at the 'KitKat Crescent' is a winner in my books :greengrin: