PDA

View Full Version : Supporting English teams

GlenrothesHibee
09-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Seems like more and more people now have an English team they support a long with Hibs or whoever. I can understand if they have relatives or have lived there but it how can someone just start supporting Man City etc. For me its Hibs and Hibs only. Is it because Scottish football is struggling? It just baffles me.

ChooseLife
09-05-2013, 05:02 PM
I appreciate the standard in England, but to hear people calling english teams "we" is a cringe.

marinello59
09-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Seems like more and more people now have an English team they support a long with Hibs or whoever. I can understand if they have relatives or have lived there but it how can someone just start supporting Man City etc. For me its Hibs and Hibs only. Is it because Scottish football is struggling? It just baffles me.

When I was a kid everybody had an English team as well as the Scottish one they supported. And I am old enough to remember when Scottish Fitba was great.:greengrin

Sir David Gray
09-05-2013, 05:08 PM

It's for a number of reasons. In my opinion, one of the main reasons is that there is so much coverage of English football up here and people are so familiar with the teams and the players that they feel as if they should be attached to some of the teams.

Some people go great lengths to support their English teams and others just have a passing interest in one. Personally, I'm in the latter camp and the only team I'm really interested in is Hibs.

adhibs
09-05-2013, 05:09 PM
I appreciate the standard in England, but to hear people calling english teams "we" is a cringe.

Most cringeworthy thing anyone can do. No idea how they build up these conections to teams, from citys theve never been to, while siting watching sky sports

Pretty Boy
09-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Everyone in my school had an English team.

However back then you supported your Scottish team and liked an English team. The number of guys/kids my age (mid 20s) or younger that only support and English team is worrying.

Baldy Foghorn
09-05-2013, 05:11 PM

Ditto

AngusHibby
09-05-2013, 05:12 PM
Makes for better watching when you support a team I guess. I wouldn't say I religiously follow a team down south, but I do have a soft spot for spurs... partly due to family connections.

Green Fish
09-05-2013, 05:15 PM
Not many folk up here support an english team, may be some, but most will follow a team. Only the hibees for me, why would anyone feel the need for anybody else????

Sylar
09-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Having recently moved to Surrey, I'm probably going to adopt an English team to maintain my fix.

It would be dead easy to make that Chelsea (as they train 10 minutes along the road from me) or any of the big London clubs which are a short hop away on the train.

It would be equally easy for me to support Reading who aren't too far up the road but I'm probably going to opt for going to watch Woking as I'm utterly disinterested in the Premiership/Championship.

Bristolhibby
09-05-2013, 05:21 PM
I keep an eye out for Spurs results as my inlaws and a number of my mates are all Yiddos.

Been to White Hart Lane a few times and went to Wembley for an FA Cup semi (the one they lost to Portsmouth). The brother in law is a season ticket holder and I go if any of his mates can't make the game (and I have approval to galavant down to London for the day).

J

Thecat23
09-05-2013, 05:22 PM

When West Ham play I always refer them as "we" when talking to mates. I have family down there going back years. Both them and Palace they followed.

Does your statement also cover English fans who say "we" when watching Hibs? It doesn't matter where you come from, if you have family connections and genuinely go watch a team down south then it's your team.

DAVE1875
09-05-2013, 05:23 PM
This again?

Dalkeith Hibee
09-05-2013, 05:30 PM
So if i go and watch an english team regularly which i do......can i refer to them as we?

Bishop Hibee
09-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Bumped into a Spurs fan who lives along the road from me yesterday. From London but now has Hibs leanings. Was telling me he had his son at the semi for the boys first ever Hibs game!

Point I'm trying to make is in an age where people move around a lot, many Hibs fans have the above kind of link in reverse.

lord bunberry
09-05-2013, 05:31 PM
I used to have an english team when I was at school but I don't now. I believe lots of english folk had a scottish team at one point but I'm not sure if they bother now

NOLA
09-05-2013, 05:33 PM
followed the mighty Arse since primary school, most of my friends latched onto liverpool/everton cos they were doing well at the time, bloody glory hunters :devil:

Greendub
09-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Not for me thanks. I like to watch English, Spanish and Dutch football, but none of them are 'my' team.

MWHIBBIES
09-05-2013, 05:35 PM
Its only possible to support a team that you go and see every week but to follow another team is fine, I follow Arsenal and have since I was about 6 but I will always support Hibs and care much more for them.

Bristolhibby
09-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Simple question - if you had to chose your English team or Hibs to win the league, which would you choose? You have to choose one.

That is your team, and IMO the only you should refer to as "we". Everything else you just don't care about as much.

J

Bristolhibby
09-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Cont.

It's like me with the rugby. I support Bath, but I would see them relegated if it meant Hibs would win the Cup.

J

Purehibee_MYB
09-05-2013, 05:42 PM
There are teams in England and other countries I like to see win, but would never refer to them as we. Personally, it's emotionally draining enough to support the Hibees so would never bother to get enthusiastic for any other team

Stringer
09-05-2013, 05:43 PM

Hibs play like Brazil mate :wink:

DH1875
09-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Not really fussed about English football. Watched Blackpool as a kid and maybe had a soft spot for them but wouldn't call myself a fan or supporter. Anyhow, given the events of the last couple of days on here my new fav English team is anyone but Arsenal :wink:.

Haymaker
09-05-2013, 05:49 PM
I grew up in England and no one took a blind bit of notice to Scottish Football so I connected to some English Clubs so I could be involved. Used to have a season ticket to Fulham but tend to follow West Ham nowadays through friends. They dont come close to Hibs though.

Cabbage East
09-05-2013, 05:49 PM
I couldn't give a toss about English football. And I agree it is cringeworthy hearing Scottish people go on about supporting an English team.

eastterrace
09-05-2013, 05:52 PM
i followed man united way back in late 60 , but my team will alway be hibs ( oh and by the way man u were mince back then) not so much a man u fan now, prefer spurs to be honest they play some great football. :flag:

LeighLoyal
09-05-2013, 05:53 PM
Wouldn't call myself a supporter of any English side, but I did somewhat follow Man U mainly because of Ferguson, I'll probably keep liking them because Moyes is now there. Before that I liked Liverpool because of Dalglish, player and manger, when he went back I started backing them again, don't care too much about them now though.

CallumHibs07
09-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Wouldn't call myself a supporter of any English side, but I did somewhat follow Man U mainly because of Ferguson, I'll probably keep liking them because Moyes is now there. Before that I liked Liverpool because of Dalglish, player and manger, when he went back I started backing them again, don't care too much about them now though.

you're going to be gutted when no Scots are managing top teams

Ray_
09-05-2013, 06:09 PM

As a kid in the late sixties and early seventies all my friends had English teams and I was no different. For me it was Man U and the reason was George Best, who was the first footballing superstar I knew about. Make no mistake, compared to the superstars of today, Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard etc, he really was special.

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-05-2013, 06:10 PM
I was a glory hunter lol! Adopted West Ham when they last won The FA Cup as a 2nd Division side when Brooking scored the winner. Been to see them loads of times since I started working and could afford it. Was a bit gutted that last years Scottish Cup Final & Championship Play Off Final were on the same day as I had a ticket for both, I was only ever going to be at the game in Glasgow.

eastterrace
09-05-2013, 06:10 PM
you're going to be gutted when no Scots are managing top teams

he might start supporting everton when pat fenlon gets the job

StevieC
09-05-2013, 06:25 PM

That's a pretty big bucket you've thrown everyone into there. You have generalised everything from the MOTD supporter through to someone that goes every week, and I'm pretty sure that somewhere in that group you've created there will be someone fully entitled to use the "we" word.

I know die hard Hibs supporters spread all over the world that will stand on the terraces or sit in the stands running through every emotion they ever did at Easter Road and be quite entitled to refer to themselves and the supporters around them as "we".

Nothing cringeworthy about it at all.

Stringer
09-05-2013, 06:26 PM
People seem to forget Paul Lambert, guid hounest scotttttish laddie

WHAM
09-05-2013, 06:28 PM
A mate of mine's cousin refers to Real Madrid as "we".....

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-05-2013, 06:29 PM
People seem to forget Paul Lambert, guid hounest scotttttish laddie

Eh?!!

Scouse Hibee
09-05-2013, 06:30 PM
To be clear I refer to Hibs as "we" in conversations, I do that as having lived here for 21 years and attended Hibs games since 92 I feel part of it and have absolutely no qualms about using that term.

If Liverpool were ever to play Hibs again in the Europa League, I would support Liverpool and try to ensure that I had a ticket in the Liverpool end at Easter Road and would be gutted if they were to lose to Hibs.

Hibs are in my life but Liverpool are in my heart and that will never change, I don't really care what anyone makes of that or whether they think it's right or wrong that's just the way it is.

WHAM
09-05-2013, 06:33 PM
To be clear I refer to Hibs as "we" in conversations, I do that as having lived here for 21 years and attended Hibs games since 92 I feel part of it and have absolutely no qualms about using that term.

If Liverpool were ever to play Hibs again in the Europa League, I would support Liverpool and try to ensure that I had a ticket in the Liverpool end at Easter Road and would be gutted if they were to lose to Hibs.

Hibs are in my life but Liverpool are in my heart and that will never change, I don't really care what anyone makes of that or whether they think it's right or wrong that's just the way it is.

I can agree with that mate...if roles were reversed and I moved down to Merseyside I would be the exact same. Hibs over anyone everytime!

Stringer
09-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Eh?!!

People seem to forget about Lambert being a scottish manager in the EPL. We produce the best coaches alongside portugal.

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-05-2013, 06:44 PM
People seem to forget about Lambert being a scottish manager in the EPL. We produce the best coaches alongside portugal.

Still eh?!! I'm afraid to say!

LancashireHibby
09-05-2013, 06:46 PM

I really don't know how I'd cope if Hibs played Bolton in a competitive. I was in the Hibs end at the Reebok for Jussi's testimonial so I guess I could go in the away end for each game if it was two-legged?!

For what it's worth, I refer to both Hibs and Bolton as "we". In fact, this season is the first in 4-5 years where I've actually attended more Bolton games than Hibs, and even then the 15 Hibs games I've been to so far are probably the most I've ever attended in a single season for obvious reasons.

Will also add that quite a few folk still 'have' a Scottish team to varying degrees. Got four mates from Leigh who are all Hibs fans now and occasionally come up to games with me (including the final if we can get hold of tickets), a few mates are armchair Sevtic fans and I know a couple of blokes who frequently go to watch Hamilton and Partick respectively.

Stringer
09-05-2013, 06:53 PM
Still eh?!! I'm afraid to say!

FFS! Some people on here think that the scottish representation in the EPL is dwindling. (Fergie panic) There won't be another fergie but we do produce good managers who will be coaching top teams.

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-05-2013, 07:07 PM
FFS! Some people on here think that the scottish representation in the EPL is dwindling. (Fergie panic) There won't be another fergie but we do produce good managers who will be coaching top teams.

Whats your point got to do with folk following an English team tho? FFS

hibs4thecup1988
09-05-2013, 07:07 PM
I have liked Manchester united since early nineties. I went on a stadium tour and not looked back. Been down to a few games this season.

I would never say united over hibs. Don't understand people that would tbh. Hibs were my first true love and will probably be my last haha

Sergey
09-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Having recently moved to Surrey, I'm probably going to adopt an English team to maintain my fix.

It would be dead easy to make that Chelsea (as they train 10 minutes along the road from me) or any of the big London clubs which are a short hop away on the train.

It would be equally easy for me to support Reading who aren't too far up the road but I'm probably going to opt for going to watch Woking as I'm utterly disinterested in the Premiership/Championship.

Get yourself along to the Ryman Premier League. You've got a few nice clubs close to you - Kingstonian play at AFC Wimbledons ground (it's actually the other way around) and Hampton & Richmond is in a nice environ.

£10 to get in and you can have a drink while watching the match.

I'm addicted to this league.

.Sean.
09-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Couldn't give a ***** about english football. Baws. Hibs or nothing.

I know of a Man u 'fan', never been to OT in his life, declaring to facebook yesterday he was crying about Fergie. He's in his late 20s. Nonsense.

Ram the EPL up yer arse. How can you get so into a team you never see in the flesh and have to affiliation with? As for calling them 'we', cringeworthy. Following a big English side is no better than the hundreds of thousands armchair Old Firm diehards.

iwasthere1972
09-05-2013, 07:18 PM

A guy in a pub that I probably pop into once a week always has his Man City colours on when I see him. Although I overheard him saying that he supports Hearts he clearly loves his English team by his constant rabbling on about them and his reactions when watching them on telly. Makes me want to puke as he probably wouldn't be able to find Manchester on a map. Definitely a glory hunter as far as I'm concerned.

God Petrie
09-05-2013, 07:23 PM
The EPL epitomises everything wrong with modern football. People "supporting" these clubs is nauseating.

iwasthere1972
09-05-2013, 07:23 PM

I fully understand that. It's the ones who have no association with the English clubs that they support and have only ever seen their beloved City or United on the tellybox.

Sylar
09-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Get yourself along to the Ryman Premier League. You've got a few nice clubs close to you - Kingstonian play at AFC Wimbledons ground (it's actually the other way around) and Hampton & Richmond is in a nice environ.

£10 to get in and you can have a drink while watching the match.

I'm addicted to this league.

I noticed Carshalton aren't too far away from me either but after some of the things you pointed out about them this season, I'm not sure it's the way forward :greengrin

Woking only being 10 minutes up the road on the train is certainly appealing but I'll probably try and watch a few teams around here including the RPL - give me a shout if you fancy taking in any games next season :agree:

Stringer
09-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Whats your point got to do with folk following an English team tho? FFS

Supporting a team just because their manager is scottish is stupid IMO.

tartanhibee
09-05-2013, 07:33 PM
I follow Hartlepool down south as my brother in law is from there and have been to watch them on many occasions.

Nothing compared to the hibees though hibs always have and always will be in my heart.

yeezus.
09-05-2013, 07:46 PM
I sympathise with Huddersfield Town but that's because of a mate. I don't have any reason to support an English team - although my mum is from Manchester. So I could wear a United top tomorrow and say "well I support them because my mum's from there" like most so called fans do.
I am sick fed up of people "supporting" English Premiership clubs and then complaining about how bad Scottish football is!

DH1875
09-05-2013, 07:53 PM
I fully understand that. It's the ones who have no association with the English clubs that they support and have only ever seen their beloved City or United on the tellybox.

You could say the same for about 80% of the Barca fans on here and no-one bats an eye lid.

Hibernia Na Eir
09-05-2013, 07:56 PM

some folk even like Barcelona. what next?!!!

MWHIBBIES
09-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Couldn't give a ***** about english football. Baws. Hibs or nothing.

I know of a Man u 'fan', never been to OT in his life, declaring to facebook yesterday he was crying about Fergie. He's in his late 20s. Nonsense.

Ram the EPL up yer arse. How can you get so into a team you never see in the flesh and have to affiliation with? As for calling them 'we', cringeworthy. Following a big English side is no better than the hundreds of thousands armchair Old Firm diehards.So if support Hibs and go every week but also follow an English team, want them to win and watch them when they are on TV you are as bad as the armchair OF fans?

Dashing Bob S
09-05-2013, 08:06 PM
I always think there's a bit of a fantasy football/video game element of a lot of the 'we' brigade who follow the EPL clubs. It always starts of as nauseating, then quickly becomes ridiculous and amusing.

DH1875
09-05-2013, 08:08 PM
So if support Hibs and go every week but also follow an English team, want them to win and watch them when they are on TV you are as bad as the armchair OF fans?

Don't get him started on Arsenal :lips seal.

Winston Ingram
09-05-2013, 08:08 PM
My Dad's from London & it's his fault I follow Spurs.:agree:

Winston Ingram
09-05-2013, 08:10 PM

They're now Bayern I believe :wink:

Winston Ingram
09-05-2013, 08:16 PM
followed the mighty Arse since primary school, most of my friends latched onto liverpool/everton cos they were doing well at the time, bloody glory hunters :devil:

Keep we keep this football related, it's a family board.

pontius pilate
09-05-2013, 08:16 PM
I follow spurs after living in Essex for 7 years doing alternate weekends between Edinburgh for the cabbage and the lane for spurs. But as I'm back in Edinburgh now Hibs have been and continue to be my first love. Hopefully never the two shall meet tho.

MrRobot
09-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Hibs are my team first and foremost. They always come first. I do however consider Man United to be my English team and always like to see Spurs and Everton do well.

iwasthere1972
09-05-2013, 08:33 PM
You could say the same for about 80% of the Barca fans on here and no-one bats an eye lid.

Oh I do believe me. Nothing worse that some guy/burd walking around town with a Barca top on and a Farmfoods bag in each hand. No class. :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
09-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Don't get him started on Arsenal :lips seal.It wouldn't matter if I liked Arsenal or not, what you were posting was simply pish

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-05-2013, 08:35 PM

Thats bad enough, dinnae even get me started on Carlisle! ;-)

Scouse Hibee
09-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Oh I do believe me. Nothing worse that some guy/burd walking around town with a Barca top on and a Farmfoods bag in each hand. No class. :greengrin

Aye the folk that take their Sainsnbury/M&S carrier bags to use at farmfoods are much classier.:greengrin

iwasthere1972
09-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Aye the folk that take their Sainsnbury/M&S carrier bags to use at farmfoods are much classier.:greengrin

I had a bag for life but she left me a few years back. :greengrin

Ray_
09-05-2013, 08:46 PM

I have met a lot of English people down the years who have the same liking for Hibs that a lot of folk north of the border have for English teams and the only reason they have made trips to Edinburgh was to see their [second] team play. Two such lads [Leyton Orient Supporters] will be at the derby on Sunday.

I have a lot of mates who follow Hibs by association [me], as does my 17 year old son, who has only ever seen Edinburgh/Scotland on Hibs related visits, yet his friends in school follow hibs, as well as their English team.

I really don't get this hang up about liking an English team, when I stayed in Edinburgh, having a soft spot for Man U didn't prevent me from going to every game Hibs played or from going to the reserve game if the "big" team wasn't playing.

Holmesdale Hibs
09-05-2013, 08:49 PM
Hibs first
Scotland second

Way way below both of them I follow an English team but didn't before I moved down south 7 years ago. Millwall was my local team until last year when I moved closer to Crystal Palace. Now I support them both, probably with a preference for Palace. But watching either of those teams is more like going to the cinema or something - it's entertaining but I really couldn't care care about the result.

NadeAteMyLunch!
09-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Villa are my English team so certainly no glory hunter! Got family down in Brum so followed them since the age of 4. Try to get down each season, was last down in January. Don't think it's cringy at all to have affiliation with an English team if you take the time and effort to actually support them ie. attend games. Obviously if they were to ever play Hibs I would 100% want Hibs to win. I've got a mate who 'supports' Man City-two years ago he 'supported' Chelsea. Now that is a major cringe. Equally one of my best mates from school has had a season ticket at Old Trafford for the past 5 years and drives down every second Saturday. He has every right to say "we" when referring to them.

iwasthere1972
09-05-2013, 08:57 PM
I have met a lot of English people down the years who have the same liking for Hibs that a lot of folk north of the border have for English teams and the only reason they have made trips to Edinburgh was to see their [second] team play. Two such lads [Leyton Orient Supporters] will be at the derby on Sunday.

I have a lot of mates who follow Hibs by association [me], as does my 17 year old son, who has only ever seen Edinburgh/Scotland on Hibs related visits, yet his friends in school follow hibs, as well as their English team.

I really don't get this hang up about liking an English team, when I stayed in Edinburgh, having a soft spot for Man U didn't prevent me from going to every game Hibs played or from going to the reserve game if the "big" team wasn't playing.

My daughter who is Guernsey born (their team play in some diddy English league and wear strips very similar to Hibs) flies the :flag: for Hibs over there but at least she has an association with Hibs :wink: and has been to Easter Road and Hampden on many occasions.

Guernsey FC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDbEWf-YiKg

Must have plenty money. Can't see Hibs drying the pitch with a helicoptor.

monktonharp
09-05-2013, 09:01 PM

I really don't get this hang up about liking an English team, when I stayed in Edinburgh, having a soft spot for Man U didn't prevent me from going to every game Hibs played or from going to the reserve game if the "big" team wasn't playing.spot on mate. Iworked for a few months directly opposite W.B.ALBION'S ground, and became a regular for a few weeks ,still like to see the baggies doing well. likewise with Sunderland, and the boys I worked with in both depots suddenly took an Interest in Hibernian. 2 months ago I went to a Brentford game with some mates on a stag, when we could have went to a bigger match. we are all delighted to see the "bees" (BRENTFORD) in the play off final. I'm Hibs through and through but as a young lad, you look at teams on top all the time. the village we were brought up in was mainly Rangers, and you go with the flow but until I was 14yrs old I'd never been to a game anywhere. went to ER with schoolmates, watched them beat the huns and I was on a train to Dundee the next week to follow the Hibees. been doin that for a while now.

marinello59
09-05-2013, 09:02 PM
My daughter who is Guernsey born (their team play in some diddy English league and wear strips very similar to Hibs) flies the :flag: for Hibs over there but at least she has an association with Hibs :wink: and has been to Easter Road and Hampden on many occasions.

Guernsey FC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDbEWf-YiKg

Must have plenty money. Can't see Hibs drying the pitch with a helicoptor.

Is that the team Le Tissier's brother chairs? I did wonder if a Hibby was involved in their formation.

iwasthere1972
09-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Is that the team Le Tissier's brother chairs? I did wonder if a Hibby was involved in their formation.

That's the one. Only went to see them once in Guernsey. It was about 1996 against Everton and it was something like 9-0 or thereabouts. Met Matt Le Tissier on a ferry between UK and Guernsey on my way back from Euro 96 half pashed (me not Matt) and managed to get his autograph. Nice guy. :aok:

Jonnyboy
09-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Oh dear we've got the Hibs and nothing else brigade out in numbers I see.

I'm Hibs, end of but there are a number of other teams whose results I follow and if they happen to be on telly and I'm not away watching Hibs I'll watch them.

I'm a football fan so enjoy watching a few other teams. Sorry if that offends the 'Hibs only' brigade but tough

weecounty hibby
09-05-2013, 09:42 PM
I love Hibs but also want to see alloa, everton, villa, crystal palace, chester city, spurs, anderlecht, fiorentina, juventus, st ettiene win for a variety of reasons. I also like other sports and like teams from these sports. But none of them mean anything compared to Hibs.

givescotlandfreedom
09-05-2013, 10:09 PM
I know a bloke who used to be a Hibee and now 'supports' arsenal and is one of the 'we' brigade and constantly running down Scottish football as if by 'supporting' them he's somehow better than us. Plays down his previous loyalties too which I find a bit cringeworthy.
I got to watch FC Cologne having lived near there and been to quite a few games and buy merchandise (I'm wearing a Köln hoodie right now) etc and am in the process of getting membership. I see a lot of similarities between them and us and it feels right but despite my loyalties it's Hibs that matter the most by a long way. Find using 'we' a bit uncomfortable despite them meaning a lot to me.

neilmartinrocks
09-05-2013, 10:47 PM
Hibs supporter go to most games but dont go west. Refer to Hibs as we.
Man City fan I only see them 2-3 times a season. And I refer to them as city.

DH1875
09-05-2013, 10:56 PM
It wouldn't matter if I liked Arsenal or not, what you were posting was simply pish

Aye, aye, very good. All about opinions and all that eh :rolleyes:. Your teams kite bye the way :aok:.

monktonharp
09-05-2013, 10:58 PM
I know a bloke who used to be a Hibee and now 'supports' arsenal and is one of the 'we' brigade and constantly running down Scottish football as if by 'supporting' them he's somehow better than us. Plays down his previous loyalties too which I find a bit cringeworthy.
I got to watch FC Cologne having lived near there and been to quite a few games and buy merchandise (I'm wearing a Köln hoodie right now) etc and am in the process of getting membership. I see a lot of similarities between them and us and it feels right but despite my loyalties it's Hibs that matter the most by a long way. Find using 'we' a bit uncomfortable despite them meaning a lot to me.

this guy that plays down his loyalties, does he play football his self/ east edin. based. always on about gooners? out of interest

Miguel
09-05-2013, 10:58 PM
My family have been die hard Hibs since time began. From whenever I can remember - I'm in my 50s - my Dad and older brother were always Manchester United, I would say sympathisers, rather than fans. I suspect this was because of Munich, Denis Law and, crucially, the fact that a dyed in the wool Mancunian Red was a very close family friend. My late Dad and still living brother never saw United in the flesh, but I can recall matches, from the '68 European Cup Final onwards where they were glued to the telly if United were playing a big match. In the early 1990s, one of my mates moved to Manchester and married a United fan. I started going to the odd match with them, and in recent years, I've taken my sons down for the odd game. One of my work mates is also a Mancunian United fan and, when we first met and he said 'glory hunter', I was able to show him a picture of me in full United kit in 1969, before he was born!
Whose the more real United fan? I'd say him, as he went week in, week out since he was a laddie. But, throughout school, when Liverpool were in their pomp and they had loads of 'fans', I stuck with United, who for most of that period were utterly gash. Do United mean as much to me as Hibs? No. When they lost the league to City, I was gutted: when we lost to Hearts I was devastated. But not ashamed of taking strong interest in United (although I NEVER wear a scarf at Old Trafford, as it just wouldn't be right).

givescotlandfreedom
09-05-2013, 11:05 PM
this guy that plays down his loyalties, does he play football his self/ east edin. based. always on about gooners? out of interest

I think he's from Edinburgh but doesn't live here now and don't think he plays football. Plenty of Gooner chat though.

LeighLoyal
09-05-2013, 11:07 PM
one thing about the old days when I was a lad all the English sides had Scots so it was easy to follow Leeds, Forest, Liverpool, Man U ... today even English players are thin on the ground at the top sides. The money has also got out of hand, clubs like qpr are a disgrace.

MWHIBBIES
10-05-2013, 01:10 AM
Aye, aye, very good. All about opinions and all that eh :rolleyes:. Your teams kite bye the way :aok:.My team is Hibs by the way

Jones28
10-05-2013, 01:15 AM
What irks me is people who are fully scottish, have lived here all their lives and never travelled to see their English team. I know one such person who says he "supports" arsenal...ever been to a game? Nope. Will you ever? Nope.

JohnStephens91
10-05-2013, 01:56 AM
I love Hibs first and foremost, they are the team I support emotionally, financially and verbally. I even do media work there. They have been in my family for generations and being a Hibs fan feels like it comes naturally and it flows in the blood. I do have leanings towards Liverpool in England, but I don't go out of my way to invest any emotion in them, I just enjoy watching them play and prefer them over most other English clubs. I have been to a couple of games but never refer to them as 'we' as that is reserved for Hibs.

I also keep an eye out of for Houston Dynamo as I interviewed Adam Moffat and the media staff at the club were very helpful in arranging times and photos to send to me for using. Shame that Andy Driver signed for them though :bitchy:

Geo_1875
10-05-2013, 02:59 AM

Surely living in Surrey qualifies you for a Man U season ticket?

Get yourself down to West Ham.

SJNB Hibby
10-05-2013, 04:59 AM
Lived in Croydon from'67-74 and could walk to Selhurst Park in about 45 minutes, so been a huge Palace fan. Flying into Gatwick then heading to a Heathrow hotel, flying out in the morning, so main goal today is to get to the hotel in time to see the match tonight