PDA

View Full Version : Fergie Out, Moyes In

Stringer
07-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Apparently could bow out in the summer, Moyes his replacement.

Imagine Moyes and Rooney :greengrin

alan1875
07-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Never gonna happen. They'll carry Fergie out of Old Trafford in a box I reckon. Utd would be in disarray if they let him go now.

Curly1875
07-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Never gonna happen. They'll carry Fergie out of Old Trafford in a box I reckon. Utd would be in disarray if they let him go now.

I think he'll eventually retire as a manager but I expect he'll still probably play role at the club for the rest of his years, say a director of football or something along those lines

CB_NO3
07-05-2013, 09:34 PM
The Special One to United rumours are going into overdrive on Twitter.

Hibercelona
07-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Fergie speaks of retiring every year.

Truth is, he's terrified at the idea of a manager one day over taking his record, so he want's to gain as much achievements as possible, all the way down to his last breath.

Fair play to him. He's a very arrogant person, but his stubbornness is also his greatest strength.

Zander
07-05-2013, 09:36 PM
They were discussing this on 5 live
The Observer or Telegraph is pushing the story, he could be gone by the weekend.
The bookies have made Moyes the favourite

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-05-2013, 09:37 PM
I would guess that he wants to win another European Cup before he finally hands his tin in.

alan1875
07-05-2013, 09:43 PM

Truth is, he's terrified at the idea of a manager one day over taking his record, so he want's to gain as much achievements as possible, all the way down to his last breath.

Fair play to him. He's a very arrogant person, but his stubbornness is also his greatest strength.

Is it not more that the media always ask Fergie if he's retiring rather than him brining it up. Apart from once about 10 years ago, I can't remember him really even entertaining it.
I don't think he's scared of someone beating his record because he'll be long dead before that probably happens. I think he's probably worried that if he packs it in his health could actually decline... It's probably keeping him fit both physically and mentally.

jgl07
07-05-2013, 09:50 PM
He will go out like Brian Clough when the red wine and whisky finally catches up with him.

I can't see United going for Moyes. He has won nothing in 11 years at Everton. Even Alex McLeish had some silverware with Birmingham as has Redknapp with Portsmouth and Dalglish with Liverpool.

OK he has done a decent job with limited resources but is that what Man United want? Maybe the Glazers's are looking for someone to finish in the top three every year and guarantee Champions' League football without spending the money needed to win trophies? It may be the way to ensure maximum financial returns (Wenger has been doing that for years with Arsenal) but it would not be acceptable for United. Certainly not with City around!

The brightest of the younger managers around in England is Roberto Martinez but he needs a spell with a bigger club before he will be ready for a top-four team.

I would think that United will dodge the issue by persuading the red nosed one to stay around for a season or two before going for an established name from Europe.

Stringer
07-05-2013, 09:53 PM
He will go out like Brian Clough when the red wine and whisky finally catches up with him.

I can't see United going for Moyes. He has won nothing in 11 years at Everton. Even Alex McLeish had some silverware with Birmingham as has Redknapp with Portsmouth and Dalglish with Liverpool.

OK he has done a decent job with limited resources but is that what Man United want? Maybe the Glazers's are looking for someone to finish in the top three every year and guarantee Champions' League football without spending the money needed to win trophies? It may be the way to ensure maximum financial returns (Wenger has been doing that for years with Arsenal) but it would not be acceptable for United. Certainly not with City around!

The brightest of the younger managers around in England is Roberto Martinez but he needs a spell with a bigger club before he will be ready for a top-four team.

I would think that United will dodge the issue by persuading the red nosed one to stay around for a season or two before going for an established name from Europe.

He will go to Everton.

And Fenlon in before anyone says it .

jgl07
07-05-2013, 09:57 PM
The Special One to United rumours are going into overdrive on Twitter.

His brand of football would not be stylish enough for United. I think he is a shoe-in for Chelsea.

The Interim One will be available however!

nonshinyfinish
07-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Fergie out, Fenlon in.

Stringer
07-05-2013, 10:01 PM
His brand of football would not be stylish enough for United. I think he is a shoe-in for Chelsea.

The Interim One will be available however!

United play pretty bland and defensive football. They just control the pace of the game very well.

Fergie hates rafa with a passion. You have heard the facts rant.

.Sean.
07-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Was his brother a coach at Hibs?

ScottB
07-05-2013, 10:07 PM
I don't see it, the side he's building is coming into its prime, I think he'll launch at least one last big push for the Champions League before he calls it quits.

Sir David Gray
07-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Can't see Sir Alex retiring any time soon to be honest.

He's still in good health and he's still winning major honours and he's got a free rein to do whatever he wants at one of the world's largest football clubs.

Health permitting, I wouldn't be surprised if he's still at Old Trafford when he's 80!

He certainly won't be forced out, that's for sure. The hierarchy at United must be dreading the day that they've got to finally find his replacement!

J-C
07-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Getting hip replacement done in the summer, 2 rumours are Moyes to be his no.2 for a season, then takes over.............Jose to take over with Fergie going upstairs, they're very good friends.

Stringer
07-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Can't see Sir Alex retiring any time soon to be honest.

He's still in good health and he's still winning major honours and he's got a free rein to do whatever he wants at one of the world's largest football clubs.

Health permitting, I wouldn't be surprised if he's still at Old Trafford when he's 80!

He certainly won't be forced out, that's for sure. The hierarchy at United must be dreading the day that they've got to finally find his replacement!

Some people are saying its a health problem. Hopefully not.

ScottB
07-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Getting hip replacement done in the summer, 2 rumours are Moyes to be his no.2 for a season, then takes over.............Jose to take over with Fergie going upstairs, they're very good friends.

Can't see Mourinho at United, his strategy of buying in talent at its peak is anathema to the Man Utd / Fergie way. He'll go back to Chelsea and their handy chequebook.

David_D
07-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Would be Shocked if he quit. Bookies have made Moyes odds on fav to take over.

silverhibee
07-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Was his brother a coach at Hibs?

He was a scout for Hibs Sean. :aok:

jgl07
07-05-2013, 10:38 PM

Hibs always seem to pick the wrong brother. Bob Shankly managed Hibs from 1965-69 not Bill. Martin Ferguson coached at Hibs before being sacked in 1997, not Alex.

The Green Goblin
08-05-2013, 12:33 AM
Would Guardiola be in the running? Proved himself trophy-wise at Barca. Mourinho made a comment recently about going back to where he was "loved". I wouldn't have thought he was referring to Old Trafford.

Haymaker
08-05-2013, 12:37 AM
Guardiola is going to Bayern TGG.

José is a master of the media but he is also very proud. Him going back to Chelsea without an apology from Abramovich isnt gonna happen.

The Green Goblin
08-05-2013, 02:14 AM
Guardiola is going to Bayern TGG.

José is a master of the media but he is also very proud. Him going back to Chelsea without an apology from Abramovich isnt gonna happen.

Cheers...I was a bit behind with news re Guardiola :greengrin. It will be interesting to see who takes it on, whenever he retires. Not too many standout candidates really. Wenger anyone? :greengrin Stranger things have happened.

Danderhall Hibs
08-05-2013, 05:49 AM
Can't see Mourinho at United, his strategy of buying in talent at its peak is anathema to the Man Utd / Fergie way. He'll go back to Chelsea and their handy chequebook.

Maybe the signing of Van Persie says ManU think it's the way forward.

sambajustice
08-05-2013, 06:26 AM
I got told a couple of months ago by a couple of folk who aren't exactly in the football industry but have businesses that deal with clubs and must have contacts, although I have no idea who, that Mourinho and Ronaldo were going to United.

They said that Nike were pissed their star asset played for "adidas" and were going to part fund the United deal.

Can't remember what they said exactly about Mourinho but said "watch this space"

I just passed them off as a couple of slavering bams but both these moves now look a possibility! :-O

Hibby Bairn
08-05-2013, 06:46 AM
Hibs always seem to pick the wrong brother. Bob Shankly managed Hibs from 1965-69 not Bill. Martin Ferguson coached at Hibs before being sacked in 1997, not Alex.

Does Fenlon have a brother? :-)

VickMackie
08-05-2013, 06:52 AM
Moyes number 2 for a season then take over would be my guess.

Billy Whizz
08-05-2013, 08:19 AM
Officially confirmed he's retiring

Tha Cabbage Kid
08-05-2013, 08:23 AM

aye. Clark Fenlon they based a superhero film on him

blackpoolhibs
Thats him gone, i personally think its the right time. They were discussing him a few weeks ago on the sunday suppliment, and he does have some health issues. Time to go and enjoy what he has left with his family.

He was like marmite, but nobody can have a go at what he's done with his career. The best manager this country has produced by a country mile. :top marks

greenteam
he has retired and rooney wants to go to bayern munich. funny day for man utd

alan1875
08-05-2013, 08:27 AM
Wow.... I eat my hat.

blackpoolhibs
08-05-2013, 08:29 AM

I cant imagine Bayern would want, need or think he'd be good enough for their team?

lord bunberry
08-05-2013, 08:32 AM
I cant imagine Bayern would want, need or think he'd be good enough for their team?

Agreed, he is a good player but I can't see him going to bayern, he will probably end up at psg

Scouse Hibee
08-05-2013, 08:37 AM
Glad to se the back of him in a football sense :greengrin

Without a doubt IMO the greatest manager the game has ever produced. I wonder if the Man Utd slump will be immediate or gradual over a few seasons, surely no-one can come in and continue the success story can they?

Not too sure about it being David Moyes who has won diddly at Everton, no doubt he has done a decent job with the resources he has available but does that mean he can manage an enourmous club like Utd to success, would like to see him get the opportunity but not so sure he will.

Haymaker
08-05-2013, 08:45 AM

Im sure every player wants to go to Bayern now!

Sylar
08-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Wow - I was the same as a lot of people in thinking that they'd carry him out of Old Trafford - no surprise he stays on as a director and club ambassador though I guess.

Far from his biggest fan but he's undoubtedly the most successful manager in the history of world football surely?

Wonder how quickly the bookies will stop talking bets on Mourinho's appointment...

jodjam
08-05-2013, 08:58 AM

Wrong again :)

Speedway
08-05-2013, 08:59 AM

Just a Charlie Estevez changed his name to Sheen for career purposes, Rafa Fenlon has gone the opposite way for the same reason.

HIBERNIAN-0762
08-05-2013, 09:17 AM
Interesting one about his replacement, Moyes has already told Everton he is leaving at the end of the season but really don't know if he is big enough to take over such an illustrious job, a very level headed man of course and I like him.

Mourinho? his ego is his problem I think, he is in a sulk that RM never won La Liga or the Champions League and seems to be in the huff there.

Be an interesting few days and I wouldn't hold my breath to see who takes over.

J-C
08-05-2013, 09:28 AM

I've never read so much nonsense in my life, the man was a winner through and through, proved it at Aberdeen and then Man U.

If you were so good at doing a job you loved, would you want to retire from it ? He's in his 70's and getting a hip replacement, he knows he can't go on forever and he said himself, he's left the squad in a very healthy position.

J-C
08-05-2013, 09:30 AM
Interesting one about his replacement, Moyes has already told Everton he is leaving at the end of the season but really don't know if he is big enough to take over such an illustrious job, a very level headed man of course and I like him.

Mourinho? his ego is his problem I think, he is in a sulk that RM never won La Liga or the Champions League and seems to be in the huff there.

Moyes knows how to get 100% from players, akin to Fergie, only downside is he hasn't got European experience, Fergie will be there to guide him through his 1st season in Europe and I'm sure Moyes will be glad of the help and experience from him.

GordonHFC
08-05-2013, 09:31 AM

Thought they won it last year did they not.

J-C
08-05-2013, 09:33 AM
Thought they won it last year did they not.

They did, his remit this year was to win the Champions league, which they failed, so he's going before being pushed.

hibsmad
08-05-2013, 09:36 AM
Gutted at the news to be honest. I have enjoyed watching many of the amazing sides he has produced. I have also enjoyed, for the majority of the time, watching the way that he deals with the press - a real master in every sense which has to make him the greatest ever.

As far as what's next for Man Utd is concerned, it would seem that it is either Mourinho or Moyes. Guaranteed early success or someone who has proven that they like to really build something at a club and give youth a chance. I'm not sure but I think that they will go with the later.

A third option might be Pellegrini at Malaga. He has done a great job recently and is very good friends with Ferguson.

MWHIBBIES
08-05-2013, 09:37 AM

Be an interesting few days and I wouldn't hold my breath to see who takes over.Has he? Apparently had meetings all week to discuss transfer targets and plans for next season.

jodjam
08-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Lots of ex players giving interviews on tv now. Wonder if Ralph Milne is waiting by his phone.

LeighLoyal
08-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Moyes I hope for the Scottish continuity. Fergie, absolute legend though. Going to be missed.

Sylar
08-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Wonder how quickly the bookies will stop talking bets on Mourinho's appointment...

Hmmm, might I retract the certainty in this - it seems there's a £20 million release clause for Mourinho which even has Abramovich baulking...

Haymaker
08-05-2013, 09:46 AM
Hmmm, might I retract the certainty in this - it seems there's a £20 million release clause for Mourinho which even has Abramovich baulking...

Unless he resigns.

Andy74
08-05-2013, 09:51 AM
I'm sure i read our Liam O'Brien was his first signing as Man U manager?

Edit: BBC reporting that but Wiki says Atkinson signed him!

lapsedhibee
08-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Unless he resigns.

If he resigns he allegedly has to pay RM £10m; if he is sacked RM allegedly have to pay him £10m.

khib70
08-05-2013, 09:54 AM
As a City fan, there are many things he's said and done that I dislike. However, his achievements as a manager with Aberdeen and Man U are unparalleled in the history of the game, and he has earned a happy and healthy retirement.

He was the last Scottish manager to comprehensively put the bigot brothers in their place, and the only non-OF manager to bring a European trophy to Scotland. That alone deserves respect, even before his achievements with Man U.

May he enjoy his grandchildren and his horse racing for many years to come

Haymaker
08-05-2013, 09:57 AM
If he resigns he allegedly has to pay RM £10m; if he is sacked RM allegedly have to pay him £10m.

Interesting... He's up for the sack no doubts.

Pretty Boy
08-05-2013, 09:58 AM

Mourinho and Ferguson definitely aren't good friends.

Respect yes but friends is really pushing it. Bobby Charlton let that slip when he was harassed by a journo. 'He doesn't like him very much at all' when asked what Fergie thought of Mourinho. The best buddies thing seems to be a press creation.

oramhibee
08-05-2013, 10:04 AM
He's confirmed his retirement...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22447018

carnoustiehibee
08-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Moyes will be manager. He will bring Fellaini, buy Benteke and maybe Cabaye or Dembele. Jobs a goodun!

DH1875
08-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Mourinho and Ferguson definitely aren't good friends.

Respect yes but friends is really pushing it. Bobby Charlton let that slip when he was harassed by a journo. 'He doesn't like him very much at all' when asked what Fergie thought of Mourinho. The best buddies thing seems to be a press creation.

When did Carlton say this though? Since Jose went to Real they have indeed become very good friends. They spend a lot of time in each others company and talk a lot. Look at the recent tv interviews fro there CL match and it's like a love in.
Doesn't really matter as Jose is 100% going back to Chelsea. Source, Rafa Benitez :wink:.

Will be interesting what happens all around though as Man U, Chelsea and Real will all be without a manager.

Stevie Reid
08-05-2013, 10:20 AM
An amazing manager and a huge loss to the Premiership. Think Moyes will be the man, I remember reading an interview with Bobby Charlton a few years ago in which he said that he didn't think Mourinho was the right kind of character for Man U.

Hope Jose goes back to Chelsea though, a great character to have in the Premiership.

JimBHibees
08-05-2013, 10:23 AM

Not always about winning trophies though is it. They are regular top 6 team in the EPL and he has improved the team and squad over the years. Bizarre to compare him unfavorably with GJP who fluked a win in the League cup and then got them relegated and has failed at all clubs since. Moyes would do well at Old Trafford IMO.

Sylar
08-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Jurgen Klopp might also be an outstanding young replacement.

His Dortmund side are being ripped apart by Bayern and rumours that Barcelona are after a couple of the Borussia players in the summer.

He's done outstanding things with some young talent and might fancy a new challenge?

I hope it doesn't happen as he'd be a huge loss to Borussia!

DH1875
08-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Not always about winning trophies though is it. They are regular top 6 team in the EPL and he has improved the team and squad over the years. Bizarre to compare him unfavorably with GJP who fluked a win in the League cup and then got them relegated and has failed at all clubs since. Moyes would do well at Old Trafford IMO.

:agree::agree::agree:.
If it were about winning trophies, why's Wenger still in a job?

Sir David Gray
08-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Absolutely shocked by this news.

Sir Alex is a legend of the game, in my opinion he's the greatest football manager of all time.

The legacy he'll leave behind is unprecedented, he really is irreplaceable and whoever takes over from him will have, in many ways, the hardest job in football.

United have had one manager in 26 years, it'll be interesting to see how many managers they have over the next 26 years!

MWHIBBIES
08-05-2013, 10:36 AM
:agree::agree::agree:.
If it were about winning trophies, why's Wenger still in a job?Because he won plenty and board/Arsenal fans still have faith he might again?

lapsedhibee
08-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Jose is 100% going back to Chelsea. Source, Rafa Benitez :wink:.

:agree: Issafacht.

DH1875
08-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Because he won plenty and board/Arsenal fans still have faith he might again?

Remind me, when was the last one?

MWHIBBIES
08-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Remind me, when was the last one?If you want this discussion go and have it with the Arsenal board, I was merely offering a point of view and to be perfectly honest I don't really care what you have to say.

EdinMike
08-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Absolutely shocked by this news.

Sir Alex is a legend of the game, in my opinion he's the greatest football manager of all time.

The legacy he'll leave behind is unprecedented, he really is irreplaceable and whoever takes over from him will have, in many ways, the hardest job in football.

United have had one manager in 26 years, it'll be interesting to see how many managers they have over the next 26 years!

Shocked ?! Really ? He's 71, and was assumed to be retiring years ago.

It's sad, but it'll add a bit of spice !

Stringer
08-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Moyes will come in. He has told Everton he is leaving. Rooney will go, Moyes might bring felliani along with him.

SAF greatest of all time.

heretoday
08-05-2013, 11:14 AM
I hope not Moyes. He is on the threshold of something huge at Goodison and without him it will wither.

blackpoolhibs
08-05-2013, 11:29 AM
All EPL games this weekend will have 7 minutes injury time, in honour of Sir Alex.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-05-2013, 11:37 AM
All EPL games this weekend will have 7 minutes injury time, in honour of Sir Alex.

They've already changed the last day of The EPL Season to Red Nose Day!

LeighLoyal
08-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Moyes will be manager. He will bring Fellaini, buy Benteke and maybe Cabaye or Dembele. Jobs a goodun!

Surely he should be aiming much higher than that? Hijack Chelseas Falcoa bid or City's efforts to get Cavani. He should also sign Bale.

Aldo
08-05-2013, 11:51 AM

Ha ha. Good one

carnoustiehibee
08-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Surely he should be aiming much higher than that? Hijack Chelseas Falcoa bid or City's efforts to get Cavani. He should also sign Bale.

Benteke would be ideal with van persie, no need it paying 40-50m for cavani or falcao. Bale, if he leaves will be abroad I think. The other 2 were off the top of my head. I'm sure there's loads others that could do a better job than cleverley and replace scholes and giggs.

blackpoolhibs
08-05-2013, 11:54 AM
They've already changed the last day of The EPL Season to Red Nose Day!

I nearly fell off my dinosaur when i heard that the first time. :wink:

DH1875
08-05-2013, 12:00 PM
If you want this discussion go and have it with the Arsenal board, I was merely offering a point of view and to be perfectly honest I don't really care what you have to say.

:faf::faf::faf: Very good. Why jump on my post then when all I was genuinely asking was a genuine question. Read the thread, guy was saying Moyes record wasn't good enough for Old Trafford as he hadn't won any trophies and I was only asking if that ment Wenger wouldn't be good enough either ya trumpet :idiot:.

TomoHFC
08-05-2013, 12:01 PM
You can't complain he is and will always be the greatest manager in history

blackpoolhibs
08-05-2013, 12:02 PM
First Maggie dies, then Fergie retires. Somewhere out there is a scouser rubbing a lamp and thinking really hard about his last wish!!

sambajustice
08-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Who will all the Man United fans on here start supporting once things start going pear shaped?? Arsenal??

The usual suspects will be out in force, "only liked Man U because of the Fergie/Scottish connection...", or "me 'ole family is from Norff Lahndan guv, honest!"

Sir David Gray
08-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Shocked ?! Really ? He's 71, and was assumed to be retiring years ago.

It's sad, but it'll add a bit of spice !

Perhaps “shocked” was a bit strong but I am very surprised by the timing of this announcement.

As I said in my first post on this thread before the news was announced, he's still in good health. I know he's due to get hip surgery shortly but that is pretty routine for someone of his age.

Also, considering the way in which Manchester Utd exited the Champions League this year, I really expected Ferguson to stay around for a bit longer to see if he could win it one more time.

It's his decision though and it's refreshing to see a football manager leaving a club on their own terms, given today's climate where managers are sacked after a few months.

I don't think you'll see too many managers being able to manage a club and having the same kind of autonomy that Ferguson has had during his career.

It's the end of era in many different ways.

Stringer
08-05-2013, 12:51 PM
He isn't truly leaving though. He will be attaching the puppet strings to david moyes now. Obviously he has gifted him a new watch aswell.

Leishy1995
08-05-2013, 01:04 PM
How many managers have we had since Fergie joined united..

lapsedhibee
08-05-2013, 01:05 PM
You can't complain he is and will always be the greatest manager in history

Is that will always be in the same sense as we will always be in the yams' shadow, or in some other sense? :dunno:

lord bunberry
08-05-2013, 01:18 PM

I'm not sure but I would guess we have had more manager's since he joined man utd than we had in our whole history prior to that

Diclonius
08-05-2013, 01:19 PM

Probably as many as they will have in the next five years.

Leishy1995
Probably as many as they will have in the next five years.

Wouldn't count on it

lapsedhibee
I hope not Moyes. He is on the threshold of something huge at Goodison and without him it will wither.

Do we all like Moyes on here? Didn't he break someone's leg when he was a player? Can't remember the details, might have been purely accidental.

Sir Fergie broke Alex Cropley's ankle and Eddie Tumbril didn't like him for that.

jgl07
08-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Moyes knows how to get 100% from players, akin to Fergie, only downside is he hasn't got European experience, Fergie will be there to guide him through his 1st season in Europe and I'm sure Moyes will be glad of the help and experience from him.

If Ferguson hangs around Old Trafford like a bad smell that will be the kiss of death for Moyes or any new manager. I can't see Mourinho or any credible international manager accepting 'advice'.

When Matt Busby retired he stalked the corridors for years as a director and as a result the likes of Wilf McGuinness, Dave Sexton, Frank O'Farrell, etc were constantly undermined and never got a chance to prove themselves.

Stringer
08-05-2013, 01:42 PM
David Moyes confirmed manager :greengrin

Peevemor
08-05-2013, 01:50 PM

Martin Ferguson was definitely a coach during the Miller years. He was often involved in the pre match and half time (subs) warm ups.

jgl07
08-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Martin Ferguson was definitely a coach during the Miller years. He was often involved in the pre match and half time (subs) warm ups.

He was there until he was sacked in 1997. Presumably that was when Duffy came in?

J-C
08-05-2013, 01:59 PM
If Ferguson hangs around Old Trafford like a bad smell that will be the kiss of death for Moyes or any new manager. I can't see Mourinho or any credible international manager accepting 'advice'.

When Matt Busby retired he stalked the corridors for years as a director and as a result the likes of Wilf McGuinness, Dave Sexton, Frank O'Farrell, etc were constantly undermined and never got a chance to prove themselves.
Ferguson has stated on many an occasion that he was indebted to having Matt Busby there to help him through those initial years, Fergie would do the same for Moyes, not get involved but give advice when needed.

J-C
08-05-2013, 02:00 PM
David Moyes confirmed manager :greengrin

No he aint :confused:

CallumLaidlaw
08-05-2013, 02:05 PM
No he aint :confused:

Not confirmed but most papers saying moyes to be announced within 48hrs

southsider
08-05-2013, 02:12 PM
First thatcher dies and now Fergies packed it in. There is a scouser with a lamp with one wish left.

SteveHFC
08-05-2013, 02:13 PM
First thatcher dies and now Fergies packed it in. There is a scouser with a lamp with one wish left.

Stole that from twitter :greengrin

Ray_

Matt Busby was still around when Fergie arrived from north of the border with no experience of the English leagues, it never did him any harm.

Sir David Gray

Alex Miller was appointed our manager a couple of weeks after Ferguson went to United.

Pat Fenlon is our 11th permanent manager since Miller was appointed in November 1986.

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-05-2013, 02:42 PM

Bill Shankly did something like that, and left the players confused.

Scouse Hibee
08-05-2013, 02:45 PM

Jimmy Tarbuck better hurry and use it then.

Pete
08-05-2013, 03:25 PM
I wonder if all the fans that have made united the force they are will stick by them after the inevitable decade or two of winning nothing. Their local teams in Bangkok or Delhi might benefit...or they might just keep the same scarf and start liking Liverpool.

The blue 3/4 of Manchester will be raising a glass tonight as they look forward to years of domination.

lucky
08-05-2013, 03:35 PM
SAF will go down as the greatest football manager of all time. 38 trophies with Manchester United and great success in Scotland and in Europe with Aberdeen. Like him or hate him you cant help but admire his incredible successful record over such a sustained period of time.

Pete
08-05-2013, 03:36 PM
SAF will go down as the greatest football manager of all time. 38 trophies with Manchester United and great success in Scotland and in Europe with Aberdeen. Like him or hate him you cant help but admire his incredible successful record over such a sustained period of time.

Have to agree. No matter who you support, you have to recognise his achievements and it truly is the end of an era.

jgl07
08-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Bill Shankly did something like that, and left the players confused.

The difference is that Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan who followed Shankly were all of a similar mindset and from the same bootroom. Liverpool carried on winning championships and European Cups.

United won very little (three FA Cups?) before Ferguson came (and nothing for a few years after) and were relegated in 1974. United went from 1966-67 till 1992-93 without a Championship win.

Busby was no longer a director when Ferguson arrived and became Club President. He was 75 and less interventionist by then.

Stringer
08-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Away to West Brom isn't really a fitting finale is it.

Treadstone
08-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Not confirmed but most papers saying moyes to be announced within 48hrs

Moyes cut from the same cloth as Fergie. Both tried to maim Hibs players in their own playing days. Moyes succeeded.

Billy Whizz
08-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Moyes cut from the same cloth as Fergie. Both tried to maim Hibs players in their own playing days. Moyes succeeded.

Fergie tried to maim players from every side if I can remember correctly

MWHIBBIES
08-05-2013, 05:06 PM
:faf::faf::faf: Very good. Why jump on my post then when all I was genuinely asking was a genuine question. Read the thread, guy was saying Moyes record wasn't good enough for Old Trafford as he hadn't won any trophies and I was only asking if that ment Wenger wouldn't be good enough either ya trumpet :idiot:.I didn't jump on anything, I replied with a logical opinion and I didn't really want some kind of disscussion as you dont really seem the smartest or you wouldn't ask such a stupid original question. Sorry but anything about Wenger to United is stupid and its really not that hard to figure out why he is still at Arsenal despite not winning anything for a while.

Calling me a trumpet really hurt btw, you win.

ancient hibee
08-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Fergie's no fool -he knows this United team needs a lot of work to be a force in Europe and he's just been landed with a new Chief Executive who thinks there is no need for any major signings.

heretoday
08-05-2013, 06:10 PM
There will be a lot of water under the bridge before Moyesie is appointed manager of Manchester United.

He doesn't have a lot of Euro experience plus his style of play is very basic. Up the wing and Route One sometimes.

Praise God it does not happen.

Always Everton....................

Harpandcastle
08-05-2013, 06:48 PM
I wonder if all the fans that have made united the force they are will stick by them after the inevitable decade or two of winning nothing. Their local teams in Bangkok or Delhi might benefit...or they might just keep the same scarf and start liking Liverpool.

The blue 3/4 of Stockport will be raising a glass tonight as they look forward to years of domination.

:na na:

Sir David Gray
08-05-2013, 06:58 PM
There will be a lot of water under the bridge before Moyesie is appointed manager of Manchester United.

He doesn't have a lot of Euro experience plus his style of play is very basic. Up the wing and Route One sometimes.

Praise God it does not happen.

Always Everton....................

Based on the quotes from David Gill earlier, I have a feeling it won't be David Moyes who's taking over.

I know Gill is leaving soon but he was talking about how the new manager would need to live up to certain criteria and, amongst other things, he would need to have experience at European level which Moyes does not really have.

I know he got Everton to the Champions League qualifiers a few years ago but that's not really any use to Manchester Utd, when the expectation will be that they actually look to win the trophy every year.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's Mourinho.

3pm
08-05-2013, 07:17 PM
No chance it'll be Jose IMO.

I know he is kicking on but I am surprised Jupp Heynckes hasn't been quoted.

Wembley67
08-05-2013, 07:29 PM
BBC confirmed it is Moyes, will be official tomorrow.

Miguel
08-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Who will all the Man United fans on here start supporting once things start going pear shaped?? Arsenal??

The usual suspects will be out in force, "only liked Man U because of the Fergie/Scottish connection...", or "me 'ole family is from Norff Lahndan guv, honest!"

Well, they more or less went pear shaped between 69-93 and it didn't stop me!

NOLA
08-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Do we all like Moyes on here? Didn't he break someone's leg when he was a player? Can't remember the details, might have been purely accidental.

Sir Fergie broke Alex Cropley's ankle and Eddie Tumbril didn't like him for that.
i thought it was moyes who had his leg broken and forced him to retire early? might be thinking of someone else though:dunno: cant have been moyes i was thinking about, oops

Treadstone
08-05-2013, 08:56 PM
i thought it was moyes who had his leg broken and forced him to retire early? might be thinking of someone else though:dunno: cant have been moyes i was thinking about, oops

Davie Fellingers leg at East End Park, it was a shocker.

lapsedhibee
08-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Davie Fellingers leg at East End Park, it was a shocker.

Did he hurt Mark McGraw as well?

jdships
08-05-2013, 09:07 PM

Correct !!
Often used to pick up his ' company car' for servicing/repair and return it to his house at Eskbank

JimBHibees
08-05-2013, 09:13 PM

The blue 3/4 of Manchester will be raising a glass tonight as they look forward to years of domination.

Why would that be? We were told that was the case after City won the league and it didnt happen.

Treadstone
08-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Did he hurt Mark McGraw as well?

That was Raymond Sharp, he got his karma at Hampden a few weeks later giving away the penalty as we won the Skol cup.

CallumLaidlaw
08-05-2013, 09:49 PM
Great. Flick over to SS1 to watch a bit of the Fergie tribute to catch goals from Aberdeen beating us 5-0 :rolleyes:

DH1875
08-05-2013, 10:04 PM
I didn't jump on anything, I replied with a logical opinion and I didn't really want some kind of disscussion as you dont really seem the smartest or you wouldn't ask such a stupid original question. Sorry but anything about Wenger to United is stupid and its really not that hard to figure out why he is still at Arsenal despite not winning anything for a while.

Calling me a trumpet really hurt btw, you win.

I must be as thick as **** as I've no idea what your going on about. When did I say Wenger was going to UTD? Everyone knows he's off to PSG. My point was that if Moyes isnt good enough then how come Wenger is seen to be a good manager when his record is kite.

Treadstone
08-05-2013, 10:08 PM
I must be as thick as **** as I've no idea what your going on about. When did I say Wenger was going to UTD? Everyone knows he's off to PSG. My point was that if Moyes isnt good enough then how come Wenger is seen to be a good manager when his record is kite.

I didn't know that. Was it in The Sun ?:rolleyes:

DH1875
08-05-2013, 10:23 PM

I dont read the sun. Jose is going to Chelsea, PSG manager is going to Real, Wenger is going to PSG and Moyes is going to UTD. That leaves Arsenal and Everton looking for managers. Will tell you once know who their going to be ;)

Treadstone
08-05-2013, 10:30 PM
I dont read the sun. Jose is going to Chelsea, PSG manager is going to Real, Wenger is going to PSG and Moyes is going to UTD. That leaves Arsenal and Everton looking for managers. Will tell you once know who their going to be ;)

I'll get doon the bookies and put all that on.

Stringer
08-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Wayne Rooney's autobiography, p131. "'You've been eating too many f****** McDonald's!' Moyes screamed at me. I protested it wasn't true"

Rooney has filed a transfer request. Bayern and Chelsea want him.

Ronaldo is coming back though. :aok:

DH1875
08-05-2013, 10:57 PM

Watch and see. Thats how it' ll happen.

Scouse Hibee
08-05-2013, 10:58 PM
David Moyes has won **** all and has no European experience :faf: I'd love him to get the managers job, mind you so would a few Evertonians.

DH1875
08-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Wayne Rooney's autobiography, p131. "'You've been eating too many f****** McDonald's!' Moyes screamed at me. I protested it wasn't true"

Rooney and Moyes made up ages ago. In fact Rooney takes his boy to Everton when their playing at home and he's not got a game at Utd.

Treadstone
08-05-2013, 11:19 PM
Watch and see. Thats how it' ll happen.

Don't think so. No chance of Wenger going to PSG. Total non starter.

heretoday
08-05-2013, 11:46 PM
David Moyes has won **** all and has no European experience :faf: I'd love him to get the managers job, mind you so would a few Evertonians.

That is nonsense. Moyes must stay at Goodison or Everton are doomed. I don't know any Evertonians who want him to go.

MWHIBBIES
09-05-2013, 12:00 AM
I must be as thick as **** as I've no idea what your going on about. When did I say Wenger was going to UTD? Everyone knows he's off to PSG. My point was that if Moyes isnt good enough then how come Wenger is seen to be a good manager when his record is kite.Yep, you are thick as ****. 3 titles, 4 FA cups and the unbeaten season. Honestly, I despair sometimes. To insult Wenger for no trophies in 8 years is one thing but to call his record kite just makes you look like a complete tit tbh.

Stringer
09-05-2013, 12:25 AM
Yep, you are thick as ****. 3 titles, 4 FA cups and the unbeaten season. Honestly, I despair sometimes. To insult Wenger for no trophies in 8 years is one thing but to call his record kite just makes you look like a complete tit tbh.

Your biting quite hard on his trolling, mate. Wenger has clearly lost his way though. RVP didn't leave just because of money. He wrote a letter to the board and wenger saying that the squad wasn't good enough and that wenger needed to delegate more tasks to other coaches. Obviously wenger's record is good.

NOLA
09-05-2013, 01:32 AM
You making friends ;)

EdinMike
09-05-2013, 01:43 AM
Pretty much confirmed it's Moyes with a press conference today. Hope they are patient with him, I like the guy !

Scouse Hibee
09-05-2013, 07:28 AM
That is nonsense. Moyes must stay at Goodison or Everton are doomed. I don't know any Evertonians who want him to go.

Well I do and maybe just maybe I know more Evertonians than you! Some of them are not happy with Everton just being a steady club without ever winning anything and think that maybe Moyes has taken the club as far as he can. It's not all about the money either, he has signed some decent players in his time and spent reasonably big on some of them and yet not managed any silverware at all which frustrates many an Evertonian that I know.

Baader
09-05-2013, 08:16 AM

Wengers record? He's the 2nd most successful manager in the premier league era!!!

J-C
09-05-2013, 09:33 AM

All over SSN that he handed one in 2 weeks ago, being played out of position and nose out of joint by Van Persie doing his job well, Bayern reported to be interested.

TBH not the most professional of players, off field problems and continual fitness issues, looks past his best already and rumours of a return for Ronaldo, Rooney out Ronaldo in.

Ryan69
09-05-2013, 11:16 AM
for anyone that fancies a punt. Get on Lampard togo to Man Utd at 16/1!
If Mourinho goes to Old Trafford,Lampard will be a cert to join!

southsider
09-05-2013, 11:26 AM
I think, when he played against Hibs for either Falkirk or Dunfermline, he broke Alex Cropley's leg with a dreadful 'tackle'.Can anyone with a better memory than mine confirm. He was not much of a player.....a bit of a thug really.

lapsedhibee
09-05-2013, 11:28 AM
for anyone that fancies a punt. Get on Lampard togo to Man Utd at 16/1!
If Mourinho goes to Old Trafford,Lampard will be a cert to join!

Though he was once assistant to Bobby Robson, don't think he'll be willing to do that job for Moyes.

lapsedhibee
09-05-2013, 11:30 AM
I think, when he played against Hibs for either Falkirk or Dunfermline, he broke Alex Cropley's leg with a dreadful 'tackle'.Can anyone with a better memory than mine confirm. He was not much of a player.....a bit of a thug really.

Ankle I think, at Brockville?

Beefster
09-05-2013, 11:34 AM

Everyone except Wenger, it would appear. He's already said that he'll honour his Arsenal contract.

hibsmad
09-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Well I do and maybe just maybe I know more Evertonians than you! Some of them are not happy with Everton just being a steady club without ever winning anything and think that maybe Moyes has taken the club as far as he can. It's not all about the money either, he has signed some decent players in his time and spent reasonably big on some of them and yet not managed any silverware at all which frustrates many an Evertonian that I know.

You're correct, there are indeed more than a few Evertonians who would like to see Moyes go for the reasons you highlight. However this is the kind of attitude that pisses me off about football fans at times. Seriously, if these fans can't see the unbelievable job he has done and appreciate it then they don't deserve success. He is finishing between 5th and 8th pretty much every season. Given the vast amounts of money being spent by the top clubs, it is totally unrealistic to say that he should be doing better. He is basically up there as the "best of the rest" every year. You could point at Newcastle last year, or Villa a few seasons ago who have both finished fifth, but then what have they done afterwards. Both are now fighting relegation.

Andy74
09-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Moyes appointed. 6 year deal.

Stringer
09-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Moyes appointed. 6 year deal.

Yeah. Here is the link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22453802

Scouse Hibee
09-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Is that why Phil Neville announced he was leaving Everton at the end of the season, back to Old Trafford in a coaching role alongside Moyes?

JimBHibees
09-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Is that why Phil Neville announced he was leaving Everton at the end of the season, back to Old Trafford in a coaching role alongside Moyes?

May be but why would be need to announce that. Seems a strange one to me. Will be interesting to see who he takes with him would assume Steve Round his assistant and possibly one or two others.

Scouse Hibee
09-05-2013, 03:31 PM
May be but why would be need to announce that. Seems a strange one to me. Will be interesting to see who he takes with him would assume Steve Round his assistant and possibly one or two others.

Fellaini?

Pretty Boy
09-05-2013, 03:45 PM

Reckon Leighton Baines is a NAP.

Very good player and United have been after him or ages.

goosefat
09-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Has 'rent a quote Redknapp' died?

'Arry is usually the go to guy for SSN and the BBC for a witty sound bite on something that has utterly nothing to do with him whatsoever...

leither17
09-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Has 'rent a quote Redknapp' died?

'Arry is usually the go to guy for SSN and the BBC for a witty sound bite on something that has utterly nothing to do with him whatsoever...

Just on haha

goosefat
09-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Just on haha

Only a matter of time I guess.

What were his comments on the Cleveland Kidnapping, Interest rates and childcare ratio plans?

Presumably his loyal media subjects asked him for his views on this as well.

LeighLoyal
09-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Not sure any of this Everton side are United class. Fellaini and Baines maybe. Moyes will have to build his own team soon enough and he won't have mega bucks to buy the absolute cream thanks to the Glazer family.

Allant1981
09-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Not sure any of this Everton side are United class. Fellaini and Baines maybe. Moyes will have to build his own team soon enough and he won't have mega bucks to buy the absolute cream thanks to the Glazer family.

The everton full back is a cracking player(baines) i reckon fellaini would be acracking player at utd

Stringer
09-05-2013, 04:10 PM

Jagielka could do a job

DH1875
09-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Yep, you are thick as ****. 3 titles, 4 FA cups and the unbeaten season. Honestly, I despair sometimes. To insult Wenger for no trophies in 8 years is one thing but to call his record kite just makes you look like a complete tit tbh.

I thought you weren't talking to me? Look, I'm really sorry for doing your Mrs but she told me she was single and I wouldn't have gone near her if I knew other wise. Your gonna have to just except it was a genuine mistake and get over it.
And by the way, Wenger is a joke, Arsenal are a joke and if the fans think it's acceptable for a club their size to go trophyless for so long and that finishing 4th in the league every year then their a joke. 8 years, you really need to stop living in the past.

MWHIBBIES
09-05-2013, 06:05 PM
I thought you weren't talking to me? Look, I'm really sorry for doing your Mrs but she told me she was single and I wouldn't have gone near her if I knew other wise. Your gonna have to just except it was a genuine mistake and get over it.
And by the way, Wenger is a joke, Arsenal are a joke and if the fans think it's acceptable for a club their size to go trophyless for so long and that finishing 4th in the league every year then their a joke. 8 years, you really need to stop living in the past.:faf:

The first part is just utterly pathetic and childish, even for Hibs.net. Try actually responding with something relevant instead of some crap about ''doing my mrs'', I think even you can muster better than that, at least try.

As already explained Wenger has the second best record in the premier league era and the only manager to lead a team to an unbeaten season in it. He also has more football knowledge than your obviously small brain could process. For someone like you to call him a joke on the internet is extremely ironic, sorry but you are the joke. Guys like Calderwood and Yogi are joke managers, not Arsene Wenger ffs.

Arsenal are one of the biggest clubs in the world, they have been in the champions league for 16 years in a row now I think, they have won 13 league titles and 10 FA cups, again to call them a joke just makes you look like a twat. No team that consistently finishes high in one of the worlds best leagues, is always in Europe, has a great history of consistently winning things and has in only recent years beaten Barcelona, Bayern and Milan cannot be reffered to as a joke, especially not by a Hibs fan (sorry guys but its true)

Not 1 Arsenal fan thinks finishing 4th is acceptable, they are just able to see a bigger picture that they currently cannot compete with United and City financially. Someone which you are obviously incapable of even comprehending.

''Living in the past'' :faf:, I am not living in the past, again I am just able to look beyond what is currently happening at Arsenal.

Please don't reply, I can actually feel myself getting stupider having this conversation.

Stringer
09-05-2013, 06:16 PM
:faf:

The first part is just utterly pathetic and childish, even for Hibs.net. Try actually responding with something relevant instead of some crap about ''doing my mrs'', I think even you can muster better than that, at least try.

As already explained Wenger has the second best record in the premier league era and the only manager to lead a team to an unbeaten season in it. He also has more football knowledge than your obviously small brain could process. For someone like you to call him a joke on the internet is extremely ironic, sorry but you are the joke. Guys like Calderwood and Yogi are joke managers, not Arsene Wenger ffs.

Arsenal are one of the biggest clubs in the world, they have been in the champions league for 16 years in a row now I think, they have won 13 league titles and 10 FA cups, again to call them a joke just makes you look like a twat. No team that consistently finishes high in one of the worlds best leagues, is always in Europe, has a great history of consistently winning things and has in only recent years beaten Barcelona, Bayern and Milan cannot be reffered to as a joke, especially not by a Hibs fan (sorry guys but its true)

Not 1 Arsenal fan thinks finishing 4th is acceptable, they are just able to see a bigger picture that they currently cannot compete with United and City financially. Someone which you are obviously incapable of even comprehending.

''Living in the past'' :faf:, I am not living in the past, again I am just able to look beyond what is currently happening at Arsenal.

Please don't reply, I can actually feel myself getting stupider having this conversation.

Handbags away boys.

DH1875
09-05-2013, 06:16 PM
You making friends ;)

As always :aok:.

DH1875
09-05-2013, 06:20 PM
:faf:

FFS, make your mind up :confused:.

Treadstone
09-05-2013, 06:27 PM
As always :aok:.

Keyboard warrior.

marinello59
09-05-2013, 06:30 PM
If the personal stuff doesn't stop then the thread will be closed.

HH81
09-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Moyes out, Fergie in

2 years time, bottom 10 in front of 50,000. :cb

Sir David Gray
09-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Moyes out, Fergie in

2 years time, bottom 10 in front of 50,000. :cb

Doubt it.

They may not be as dominant as they have been under Ferguson but I can't see Manchester Utd going from being title winners and contenders for Champions League success to being Premiership also-rans in the space of two years.

I just don't see that happening.

Scouse Hibee
09-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Doubt it.

They may not be as dominant as they have been under Ferguson but I can't see Manchester Utd going from being title winners and contenders for Champions League success to being Premiership also-rans in the space of two years.

I agree more likely to happen to City than United IMO

Dashing Bob S
09-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Doubt it.

I tend to agree. Moyes has shown himself to be the best-for-pound manager in England. The question mark over him has always related to his ability to step up and win big one-off games. Everton's record against the clubs habitually above them, particularly the away record, is pretty poor. Will be be able to work with bigger egos?

I think that having Ferguson there will help him in this respect. People make the comparison with Busby, but Busby had started to fail badly before he was kicked upstairs, while Ferguson has gone out at the top, and is therefore psychologically able to let go easier, and be a sounding board, rather than back seat driver.

I think Moyes needs a big season though, or the pressure will be on. City and Chelsea will scent vulnerability and try hard to dethrone them. The others haven't a snowball's chance in hell.

ScottB
09-05-2013, 08:22 PM
He will inherit probably the best squad in the division, if they manage to lure back Ronaldo or one or two other top class players they'll be solid favourites to win again next year.

Chelsea will need a big rebuild this summer, City will presumably have a rebuild after punting Mancini, so it's not like either of those are stick ons to be 'better' for sure next season. Ferguson has obviously earmarked Moyes as his successor for sometime now, plus with him still being around and presumably some consistency on the coaching side will probably help keep things ticking over. A squad of top class players aren't going to become mince overnight because of a change in manager, regardless of who that manager is.

Iggy Pope
09-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Doubt it.

Maybe 50,002 if the Hibs.net Reds ever get around to actually attending in a while. Have you eaten that City humble pie yet? Bath of beans outside the Omni Centre as I recall.......

Iggy Pope
09-05-2013, 08:45 PM
I agree more likely to happen to City than United IMO

I agree too.
Not without precedent though, is it? Sir Matt, 1974 and all that, ushering in new eras? You might recall...........

AngusHibby
10-05-2013, 11:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFFPxjvx5sY stumbled upon this tribute by an Arsenal fan. Moving.

Hibee87
10-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Fellani and RVP upfront would be fantastic partnership IMO, leighton baines would also add to the utd team. if the rumours (I very very very much doutn they are) of ronaldo returning, utd would have a VERY capable team of winning the CL under moyes :devil:

Brightside
10-05-2013, 12:04 PM
He will inherit probably the best squad in the division, if they manage to lure back Ronaldo or one or two other top class players they'll be solid favourites to win again next year.

Chelsea will need a big rebuild this summer, City will presumably have a rebuild after punting Mancini, so it's not like either of those are stick ons to be 'better' for sure next season. Ferguson has obviously earmarked Moyes as his successor for sometime now, plus with him still being around and presumably some consistency on the coaching side will probably help keep things ticking over. A squad of top class players aren't going to become mince overnight because of a change in manager, regardless of who that manager is.

You must be a season behind... Man U have an ageing squad and won the league by default. Chelsea will only buy one or two as they have already got the main players they wanted in Mata, Hazard, and Oscar, but they have needed this season to gel. Man City will go mad and try and buy the league again. But for me Chelsea will be solid favs.

Beefster
10-05-2013, 12:23 PM
You must be a season behind... Man U have an ageing squad and won the league by default. Chelsea will only buy one or two as they have already got the main players they wanted in Mata, Hazard, and Oscar, but they have needed this season to gel. Man City will go mad and try and buy the league again. But for me Chelsea will be solid favs.

The bookies have Chelsea third favourites for next season and Man Utd as favourites.

Steve20
10-05-2013, 12:23 PM

Man Utd won the league because they're the best team, not by default.

Brightside
10-05-2013, 12:33 PM
They won the league becuase other teams did not perform. They do not have the best team. IMHO ofcourse....:greengrin

hstn747
10-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Interesting article on Moyes & his approach.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/2fa7ef1e-b2c0-11e2-8540-00144feabdc0.html#slide0

lapsedhibee
10-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Interesting article on Moyes & his approach.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/2fa7ef1e-b2c0-11e2-8540-00144feabdc0.html#slide0

Was interesting, thanks for linking. Wonder how his philosophy of fitba - stop the other team playing - will go down at Manchester U ...

ScottB
10-05-2013, 06:07 PM

What complete and total nonsense!

Sir David Gray
10-05-2013, 08:01 PM
They won the league becuase other teams did not perform. They do not have the best team. IMHO ofcourse....:greengrin

You don't win a league title by 10+ points, after playing 38 matches over 9 months, if you're not the best team in that league.

United did perform and teams like City and Chelsea didn't perform (as you've already said yourself) so that means to me that United have been the best team this season.

You might not like Manchester Utd but to try and suggest that they're not the best team in the league and that they've somehow won the league by default is utter garbage.

silverhibee
10-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Another great servant from Man Utd to retire.

http://www.thebusbybabe.com/2013/5/10/4320038/twitter-reports-suggest-paul-scholes-set-to-confirm-retirement

Stringer
10-05-2013, 11:22 PM

http://www.thebusbybabe.com/2013/5/10/4320038/twitter-reports-suggest-paul-scholes-set-to-confirm-retirement

Re - retire you mean.

Best midfielder in the EPL for the last 15 years. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzg6cR0lONw

Sean1875
10-05-2013, 11:24 PM
Apparantly Lennon now odds-on for the Everton job after a 'string of bets' according to Sky Bet :agree:

silverhibee
10-05-2013, 11:55 PM
Re - retire you mean.

Best midfielder in the EPL for the last 15 years. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzg6cR0lONw

My English teacher is getting it.

Sir David Gray
11-05-2013, 12:11 AM

If that's true then what a privilege it has been to watch him playing over the past 20 years. He could easily carry on for the next couple of years, if he wanted, he is that good and he will surely be remembered as one of the greatest midfielders of his generation.

As someone who is of the age where I've known nothing else other than having Sir Alex Ferguson as the Manchester Utd manager and having Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes in their midfield, next season is going to be really strange for me.

jgl07
11-05-2013, 12:16 AM
Phil Jones doesn't seem too pleased with the appointment:

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x411/JGL07/article-0-19309729000005DC-235_306x423_zps884acac0.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/JGL07/media/article-0-19309729000005DC-235_306x423_zps884acac0.jpg.html)

poolman
11-05-2013, 12:21 PM

Oh Dear !

poolman
11-05-2013, 12:24 PM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/4923237/John-Hartson-This-jobs-too-big-for-Moyes.html

More ramblings from the fat Welsh tosser

What a load o' keek

poolman
11-05-2013, 12:35 PM

De Gea......22 years old

Rafael.......22 years old

Jones........21 years old

Evans.........25 years old

valencia......27 years old

Anderson......25 years old

Smalling........24 years old

Chico...........25 years old

Welbeck........22 years old

Zaha ( coming from Crystal Palace )....20 years old

Need i go on

Scouse Hibee
11-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Average age of Man Utd squad is currently 26.7 according to my maths

DH1875
11-05-2013, 12:55 PM
De Gea......22 years old

Need i go on

:agree::agree::agree:. Think Rooney is only 27 as well. Should have put Cleverly and Kagawa on your list ahead of Anderson and Valencia to prove your point though :wink:.

DH1875
11-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Apparantly Lennon now odds-on for the Everton job after a 'string of bets' according to Sky Bet :agree:

Job is Martinez if he wants it.

jgl07
11-05-2013, 03:56 PM
De Gea......22 years old

Need i go on

Well you might have mentioned RVP, Rooney, Ferdinand, Vidic, Giggs, Scholes, etc. instead of one player who has never made an appearance and a number of reserves and bench warmers (several of who are likely to be on their way out).

Iggy Pope
11-05-2013, 04:07 PM
If that's true then what a privilege it has been to watch him playing over the past 20 years. He could easily carry on for the next couple of years, if he wanted, he is that good and he will surely be remembered as one of the greatest midfielders of his generation.

As someone who is of the age where I've known nothing else other than having Sir Alex Ferguson as the Manchester Utd manager and having Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes in their midfield, next season is going to be really strange for me.

Maybe get along to Old Trafford? Make it really strange?

poolman
11-05-2013, 04:35 PM
Well you might have mentioned RVP, Rooney, Ferdinand, Vidic, Giggs, Scholes, etc. instead of one player who has never made an appearance and a number of reserves and bench warmers (several of who are likely to be on their way out).

Deary me, what a load of nonsense

Bench warmers.....WTF

marinello59
11-05-2013, 05:11 PM

They may not have been able to field the best team. But they did have the best squad and that is why they deservedly won the title.

Sir David Gray
11-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Maybe get along to Old Trafford? Make it really strange?

You never know, I might just do that. :wink:

Hibernia&Alba
11-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Such a sad day tomorrow as the greatest manager of all time plays his last home game, but Moyes will do the job and United aren't going anywhere. Indeed Ronaldo is on the cusp of re-joining, so add a world class central midfielder to the squad and it could all work out great. Whatever happens in transfer market, Davie will have Britain's biggest club punching is weight. Trust him.

HH81
12-05-2013, 03:42 AM
I am sure there will be a few tears today over the tv pictures of Fergie standing on the half way line. Such a shame I can't join you on this thread to cry along too.

I will be out watching live sport, you know turning up at the ground and watching my team. Much bigger game full of true fans.

Alex out.

DH1875
17-05-2013, 12:16 PM

Real just had their first approach for the PSG manager turned down and are due to go back in with an improved offer in the next day or two. Moyes has gone to UTD, Jose is a cert for Chelsea. Hope you took the advice and hit the bookies :greengrin

Everyone except Wenger, it would appear. He's already said that he'll honour his Arsenal contract.

Oh.....and Wenger is out of contract in the summer :wink:.

ScottB
17-05-2013, 12:19 PM
Real just had their first approach for the PSG manager turned down and are due to go back in with an improved offer in the next day or two. Moyes has gone to UTD, Jose is a cert for Chelsea. Hope you took the advice and hit the bookies :greengrin

I believe it's next summer?

Phil MaGlass
17-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Great to see another Scotsman carrying on the great traditions of Scottish managers at the top of the game. Im no ManU fan but bloody good luck tae the guy, and any Scots managers doon in engurland.

YehButNoBut
17-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Fergie leaving Old Trafford

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKSmdJOCUAAJQ_t.jpg

Treadstone
17-05-2013, 12:45 PM

Don't think so. No chance of Wenger going to PSG. Total non starter.

Nice bit of revisionism there but the point I highlighted in the original post I have highlighted again as it was the only part I had a problem with. Especially as Moyes was all but confirmed and Jose rumours at Chelsea were everywhere. Kudos on the Ancelotti move, not done yet, but looking more likely.

No he is not.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/ars-ne-wenger-signs-contract-extension

DH1875
17-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Nice bit of revisionism there but the point I highlighted in the original post I have highlighted again as it was the only part I had a problem with. Especially as Moyes was all but confirmed and Jose rumours at Chelsea were everywhere. Kudos on the Ancelotti move, not done yet, but looking more likely.

No he is not.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/ars-ne-wenger-signs-contract-extension

My bad :tee hee:.

Anyhow, once Ancelotti goes to Real PSG will go for Wenger, promise him the world and more and he'll be off :greengrin.

Treadstone
17-05-2013, 01:04 PM
My bad :tee hee:.

Anyhow, once Ancelotti goes to Real PSG will go for Wenger, promise him the world and more and he'll be off :greengrin.

Nae chance mate. Cushiest job in fitba. Get top 4 and there is no pressure on him. Unlikely to go to a basket case of a club. Writes his own contracts at Arsenal and even had a say in appointing the chief exec.:aok:

Scouse Hibee
28-05-2013, 11:16 AM

You heard it here first :greengrin