PDA

View Full Version : Players released by other clubs (merged)

Granton Stanton
07-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Scott Arfield released by Huddersfield. We were supposedly interested in him before he went south, anyone any idea how hes been playing since he went (although I can only guess poorly if he's been released)

yeezus.
07-05-2013, 11:54 AM
My Huddersfield-supporting mate Jamie says he's rubbish and he much prefer's Adam Clayton :agree:

Stevie Reid
07-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Scott Arfield released by Huddersfield. We were supposedly interested in him before he went south, anyone any idea how hes been playing since he went (although I can only guess poorly if he's been released)

Stats here, has played regularly enough: -

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=44433

The Sea-gull
07-05-2013, 12:08 PM
He'll go to Hartlepool as Yogi thinks he's a right good player with the boiler suit mentality.

If he wants to come back to the SPL his agent will phone round the clubs. I'm sure PF and the player recruitment team at ER will know who he is and what he can do. As will most other SPL managers.

I'm sure he'll get a SPL club if he wants one and his demands are not too high. Whether that will be/should be us I have no idea and I have no idea of how good he is these days. He was highly rated a few seasons back though.

We do need a creative type midfielder but I dunno if that is Arfield's game?

Looking at midfield options for next season. Taiwo, Robertson, Craig, Cairney and Harris are all signed. Think Done, Deegan and Wotherspoon will be away. That leaves maybe three more spaces in the squad. Would be good if we could resign Thomson and Claros along with a creative player who can play wide or in the centre. Whether Arfield fits that bill, I'm not sure.

I'm more and more starting to think that Ian Vigurs of Ross Co would be a good and realistic option as a creative player who can operate in the middle or out wide.

Big Sexy Dave
07-05-2013, 12:14 PM
My Huddersfield-supporting mate Jamie says he's rubbish and he much prefer's Adam Clayton :agree:

I prefer Bono.

Leishy1995
07-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Also released was Gomes, the ex Arab centre mid

gegs70
07-05-2013, 12:32 PM
He'll go to Hartlepool as Yogi thinks he's a right good player with the boiler suit mentality.

If he wants to come back to the SPL his agent will phone round the clubs. I'm sure PF and the player recruitment team at ER will know who he is and what he can do. As will most other SPL managers.

I'm sure he'll get a SPL club if he wants one and his demands are not too high. Whether that will be/should be us I have no idea and I have no idea of how good he is these days. He was highly rated a few seasons back though.

We do need a creative type midfielder but I dunno if that is Arfield's game?

Looking at midfield options for next season. Taiwo, Robertson, Craig, Cairney and Harris are all signed. Think Done, Deegan and Wotherspoon will be away. That leaves maybe three more spaces in the squad. Would be good if we could resign Thomson and Claros along with a creative player who can play wide or in the centre. Whether Arfield fits that bill, I'm not sure.

I'm more and more starting to think that Ian Vigurs of Ross Co would be a good and realistic option as a creative player who can operate in the middle or out wide.

We have stevenson too, if he is counted as a midfielder? Unless we sell a lot more season tickets we probably wont want to pay a fee for claros? Thompson may stretch our budget slightly? We would definately need a striker or 3 if we lose our only 2 striking options and a central defender.

gegs70
07-05-2013, 12:34 PM
It seems to me we are always 5 or 6 players short of having a better team. Does that mean we keep bringing in poor quality players or too many loanees?

JimBHibees
07-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Always like Arfield as a player however we are stowed with midfield players as it is.

frazeHFC
07-05-2013, 01:35 PM

Clayton looks a class player. :agree:

Arfield was good when i saw him for them in League 1, but maybe that's his level.

EdinMike
07-05-2013, 02:39 PM
I prefer Bono.

I see what you did there... :wink:

Hibeesmad
07-05-2013, 02:44 PM
I think he would be a great replacement for deegan and if league 1 is his standard then that's good enough for hibs, look at former spl players currently in league 1 such as donaldson, jones (who got promoted), rooney etc..

Elephant Stone
07-05-2013, 04:16 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11789/8687860/Transfer-news-Rangers-and-Aberdeen-are-tracking-Prince-Bauben-and-Morgaro-Gomis

We could do a lot, lot worse than either of these players. They were excellent at UTD if I remember correctly.

3pm
07-05-2013, 04:19 PM
I liked Gomis.

We need more goals from midfield though and I am not sure he got that many. If Thomson and Claros go then, aye.

SunshineOnLeith
07-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Would that be the same Dundee United team that Scott Robertson excelled in? Not saying they're both terrible as well now, but I'd hope we take a long hard look before signing anyone who 'used to be good' again.

davhibby
07-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Would that be the same Dundee United team that Scott Robertson excelled in? Not saying they're both terrible as well now, but I'd hope we take a long hard look before signing anyone who 'used to be good' again.

still think Robertson will be good once he gets a good pre season.

Hibspirational
07-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Not sure what the budget will be for next season, but surely we must sort out the strikers and wingers first then see what's left? I appreciate that they're free transfers, but what will the wages be?

frazeHFC
07-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Dundee Utd were great when they had Gomis and Bauben sitting and Conway and Swanson on the wings. Both of them good players.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
07-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Rangers and Aberdeen looking at then according to sky sports transfer centre. Both good players.

Hamish
07-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Another highly rated player in the past, Scott Arfield released by Huddersfield as well, realise he is another midfielder though.

Saw Morgaro at Cowdenbeath when Mixu was the boss. Good player, though again perhaps too similar to what we have already.

Purehibee_MYB
07-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Would definitely take Gomis, haven't got many memories of Buaben playing.. But as someone has rightly said, strikers are most likely going to be our priority

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Another highly rated player in the past, Scott Arfield released by Huddersfield as well, realise he is another midfielder though.

Saw Morgaro at Cowdenbeath when Mixu was the boss. Good player, though again perhaps too similar to what we have already.

Arfield may well end up at Hartlepools if they don't have a managerial change in the summer.

jodjam
07-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Dundee Utd were great when they had Gomis and Bauben sitting and Conway and Swanson on the wings. Both of them good players.

Totally agree. The wide men worked hard and this was a very good 4

yeezus.
07-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Clayton looks a class player. :agree:

Arfield was good when i saw him for them in League 1, but maybe that's his level.

Just wondering, how come you were watching Huddersfield? I'm genuinely interested in lower league football because of the fans I've met and become friends with in the past.

SteveHFC
07-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Yes please to both :greengrin

Andy74
07-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Arfield may well end up at Hartlepools if they don't have a managerial change in the summer.

Why would anyone choose to work again with a clueless bully?

Up The Bracket
07-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Robertson will come good :agree:

Ozyhibby
07-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Would definitely take Gomis, haven't got many memories of Buaben playing.. But as someone has rightly said, strikers are most likely going to be our priority

Hopefully shoring up our defence gets equal billing.

hfc rd
07-05-2013, 07:41 PM
I'd happily take those three players for next season.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
07-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Would take Gomis and Buaben to replace Claros and KT if were unable to keep them.

New RM Buaben Gomis Harris

Would be a decent MF depending who we sign for RM.

hfc rd
07-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Would take Gomis and Buaben to replace Claros and KT if were unable to keep them.

New RM Buaben Gomis Harris

Would be a decent MF depending who we sign for RM.

Harris on the right and Craig on the left?

Speedway
07-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Always like Arfield as a player however we are stowed with midfield players as it is.

Not really, we could in theory be without Claros, Deegan, Thomson, Wotherspoon, Scott and Done leaving us with Cairney, Robertson, Taiwo, Harris, Stevenson and Stanton.

Robertson is this season's Claros from last season.

He'll be important for us next year.

Auckland Hibs
07-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Why would anyone choose to work again with a clueless bully?

Posted a while back when we were supposed to be looking at Arfield whilst he was at Falkirk that he stated that he wouldn't work with Yogi ever again - The words "bully" were used in reference to Yogi's management style, heard this from a friend (who's close to one of Arfield's family).

Speedway
07-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Nish is on a free...

frazeHFC
07-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Just wondering, how come you were watching Huddersfield? I'm genuinely interested in lower league football because of the fans I've met and become friends with in the past.

A few years ago I watched Huddersfield versus Wycombe on Sky Sports which was 6-0 Huddersfield. They were simply brilliant and could ave had 10, they played fantastic football. After that was speaking on twitter to Huddersfield fans and then after that had a small soft spot for them. Watched a few more League 1 games over the next few years and found it really interesting, including Huddersfield again thumping Wycombe 6-0 this time away from home! Rhodes was immense.

Aldo
07-05-2013, 08:07 PM
I think once he gets a good pre season we will start seeing the best of Robertson.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
07-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Harris on the right and Craig on the left?

Yep! Or New Rm Gomis Craig Harris

Aldo
07-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Yep! Or New Rm Gomis Craig Harris

What bout KT and Jorge when they sign new contracts??

BOB MARLEYS DUG
07-05-2013, 08:40 PM
What bout KT and Jorge when they sign new contracts??

I said in a previous post this would be my MF if KT n Claros didnt sign with us.

Bishop Hibee
07-05-2013, 08:41 PM
It probably depends whose willing to take the wages Hibs can offer.

Gomis would be good if we lose Claros if he can replicate his form with Utd.

Aldo
07-05-2013, 08:44 PM
I said in a previous post this would be my MF if KT n Claros didnt sign with us.

Sorry BMD. Hadn't read all the posts (lazy the nite). Cheers for that

patch1875
07-05-2013, 08:45 PM
Gomis, bring it on he'd play out his liquid skin.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
07-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Sorry BMD. Hadn't read all the posts (lazy the nite). Cheers for that

No bother mate!

brog
07-05-2013, 09:14 PM

Saw Clayton at Brighton this year & he was class. Airfield came on as sub but didn't have much opportunity to impress.

Up The Bracket
07-05-2013, 10:23 PM
I think it will be a midfield 4 of Harris Claros Robertson Craig will be our choice next season, pretty sure Claros will stay.

1987green
07-05-2013, 11:12 PM
Paul Watson from Livingston a player we were linked with a couple of seasons ago has turned down a new deal good strong centre half streets ahead of Hanlon imo also his side kick Craig Barr also away from Livi both would improve our defence

DH1875
07-05-2013, 11:48 PM
Quick question for everyone wanting Gomis and Bauben in our team. What about Tom Taiwo? He's been really good recently. IF we managed to keep Taiwo, Claros and KT next season I'd be more than happy and would focus on the defence and the strikers for next season. In fact, when you look at the squad without Claros and KT we'd still have a load of midfielders and NO strikers IF Leigh goes.

jgl07
07-05-2013, 11:59 PM

Not as good as Clayton Donaldson!

He was pure class for Brentford in the play-off semi-final on Monday.

jeffers
08-05-2013, 04:23 AM
Quick question for everyone wanting Gomis and Bauben in our team. What about Tom Taiwo? He's been really good recently. IF we managed to keep Taiwo, Claros and KT next season I'd be more than happy and would focus on the defence and the strikers for next season. In fact, when you look at the squad without Claros and KT we'd still have a load of midfielders and NO strikers IF Leigh goes.

Totally agree with that. I think Taiwo has been an excellent signing and doesn't get the credit his performances deserve. I'd love Claros and Thomson to stay but I wouldn't be unhappy if Taiwo was one of our starting midfielders next season.

Aldo
08-05-2013, 06:20 AM
Totally agree with that. I think Taiwo has been an excellent signing and doesn't get the credit his performances deserve. I'd love Claros and Thomson to stay but I wouldn't be unhappy if Taiwo was one of our starting midfielders next season.

This. TT is an excellent player IMHO. Gets stuck in, harries the opposition and never stops. Personally believe he should start the Final

matty_f
08-05-2013, 09:36 AM

I got that. :wink:

Broken Gnome
08-05-2013, 09:51 AM
I got that. :wink:

A substantial Gomez pun thread is beyond even Hibs.net.

Broken Gnome
08-05-2013, 09:54 AM
This. TT is an excellent player IMHO. Gets stuck in, harries the opposition and never stops. Personally believe he should start the Final

Taiwo's the type of guy that would play in top six SPL sides, barring the obvious, and do really well. And a player we should probably learn to appreciate and persevere with rather than demand he must be able to do everything.

ian cruise
08-05-2013, 09:58 AM

Knowing Hibs his first thought after signing will be "now I'll get myself arrested"

Aldo
08-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Taiwo's the type of guy that would play in top six SPL sides, barring the obvious, and do really well. And a player we should probably learn to appreciate and persevere with rather than demand he must be able to do everything.

Richey I think this guy does a lot of unseen work and will be a very important player come the final.

Your right he can't do everything but what he does do he does it very well. If we do go 3 in the middle for the final then PF has an easy job (posted before)

Taiwo. Claros. Thompson

Wanyama missing is a big plus so those 3 need to be in their game and get us on the front foot (sure they will)

LioNeilMessi
08-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Not really, we could in theory be without Claros, Deegan, Thomson, Wotherspoon, Scott and Done leaving us with Cairney, Robertson, Taiwo, Harris, Stevenson and Stanton.

Robertson is this season's Claros from last season.

He'll be important for us next year.

Let's hope. It hurt how badly he played in the SF given all the hype towards having him in the side. Let's hope he puts that behind him and starts to push for a starting place next season. I remain optimistic that he will be a good player for us. :agree:

neil7908
08-05-2013, 06:50 PM

Spot on. For me, the midfield is the least of my concerns going into next season. Even if Claros and Thomson go as I would expect, we'd still be left with a decent set of options: Taiwo, Harris, Craig, Robertson, Cairney, Stevenson. The first 3 in particular seem like a really promising combination.

If Claros stays I would be delighted. Thomson would be a great addition aswell but I must admitt that I think him and Claros are not necessarily the best pairing in the middle so I dont think we really need Taiwo, Claros and Thomson.

I still think we need a bit more creativity and goal threat from midfield but it appears Harris is beginning to offer this, Craig should do the same and I hope Robertson and Cairney can recapture their form.

For me, even if by some miracle Leigh stays we will still need to get a couple more forwards and the defence has looked shakey all season.

michael_wilson1
10-05-2013, 09:32 AM
just been released by huddersfield, was good for falkirk, worth a punt this summer?

jonny
10-05-2013, 09:48 AM
So was Duffy.... If Pat got him up for a couple of weeks training to make an assessment then fair enough but I wouldn't be for giving a contract to someone who in recent times we know nothing about except Huddersfield don't want him.

NAE NOOKIE
12-05-2013, 09:51 AM

Seem to remember a few years back that Utd team tearing us a new one at ER .... we were chasing shadows all night and were lucky to get away with less of a battering than we should have.

I dont know what they are like now, but if Gomis & Bauben are anywhere near the players they were then I would take them in a heartbeat.

Agree with what folk are saying about Taiwo ... he was outstanding in the last game at ER and should have been MOM. If he can play like that every week he will be first midfield pick no matter who we have in the squad.

number9dream
12-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Simon Ferry let go by Swindon, Paul McGowan leaving St Mirren - yet more central options. Aaron Doran still not signed offer from ICT - really good player, could work the wings with Harris...

Stevie Reid
14-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Just read an article about Chris Humphrey in The Herald - says he has a tough choice to make as he has enjoyed Motherwell and his kids are settled in nursery there. Maybe he could be tempted to us - if we do similar to what we did with Clancy, he'll get a lot more money here and his kids could stay where they are (though surely his burd would want to live here!)

DH1875
14-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Just read an article about Chris Humphrey in The Herald - says he has a tough choice to make as he has enjoyed Motherwell and his kids are settled in nursery there. Maybe he could be tempted to us - if we do similar to what we did with Clancy, he'll get a lot more money here and his kids could stay where they are (though surely his burd would want to live here!)

Chris Humphrey would be an excellent signing and is just what we need. Him on one side and Harris on the other :aok:.

ColintonHibs
14-05-2013, 05:09 PM

Been wanting Hibs to sign him for a while. Great player at this level :cb

Stevie Reid
16-05-2013, 01:54 PM
A familiar face released by MK Dons: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22555437

eebsie
17-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Released by MK Dons.
Liked him 1st time round.
Would he strengthen what we've got?

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2013, 07:44 AM
No idea, not seen anything of him since he left Plymouth? He must be getting on a bit now, i'd rather we went with young Forster, he looks a real prospect.

The Sea-gull
17-05-2013, 07:50 AM
No idea what he is like now but he was ok for us.

Might do a job still. Even with the emergence of Forster we will still need another centre half for next season's squad assuming we'll have McPake, Hanlon and Forster.

hibsbollah
17-05-2013, 08:09 AM
Always liked him first time round. Our signing priorities should be striker and creative midfielder though.

Stevie Reid
17-05-2013, 08:39 AM
I posted a link to this yesterday. At 33 he could add decent experience as back up, and has played a lot this year - but as BH has said, we've no idea how good he is now. The last defender we got from MK Dons wasn't that great...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22555437

MK Dons have released Mathias Doumbe but triggered one-year extensions on the contracts of fellow defenders Gary MacKenzie and Jon Otsemobor.
Adam Chicksen, Dean Lewington and Ian McLoughlin have been offered new deals.
Frenchman Doumbe, 33, played 28 times this season and is now a free agent after four years in Milton Keynes.
"Mathias has been an excellent servant to this football club and has proven to be a tremendous professional," boss Karl Robinson told the club website.
"He is a strong character who has played a large part in our recent history and it was a hard decision to release him this year.
"However, with the Financial Fair Play regulations becoming even stricter this season we have to be prudent with our recruitment policy and along the way we will have to make tough decisions."

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-05-2013, 09:11 AM
Didn't we sign another defender from MK Dons who was also a magnificent servant for them and equally hard for them to let go?

jacomo
17-05-2013, 02:41 PM
I thought Matty Doumbe was a class act, but as others have said I don't know if he's still got it.

Part/Time Supporter
17-05-2013, 09:34 PM
IIRC Hibs have been previously linked with some of the players (Danny Livesey? Peter Murphy?) who are out of contract with Carlisle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22339835

Killie seem confident of signing Murphy, who is 32 now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22573624

Big Sexy Dave
18-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Graham Carey's been released by St Midden, he's always impressed me when I see him live or on tv and his goal against the **** won "Goal Of The Season"

leithsansiro
22-05-2013, 05:42 PM
This guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adebayo_Akinfenwa has just been released by Northampton in League Two - scoring record of 30ish in the 80 games, built like an absolute tank and would most likely score for fun in the SPL. He is 31, but I think his ball holding skills could help some of our youngsters in the attacking areas of the pitch. Plus, for any readers of FourFourTwo, his professional approach to his fitness regime is mind boggling and a decent example.

Macaroon
22-05-2013, 05:48 PM
http://p.twimg.com/AzpweScCEAAkmRb.jpg:large

The man is an absolute machine

SteveHFC
22-05-2013, 05:49 PM
http://p.twimg.com/AzpweScCEAAkmRb.jpg:large

The man is an absolute machine

The next Kuqi? :greengrin

Devilstorment
22-05-2013, 05:52 PM
If i were PF i would be taking a serious look. wonder why he was let go? wages too high?

Looks like he would be a good target man for us

MSK
The next Kuqi? :greengrinBet ye wouldnae say that tae his face ..:take that

NORTHERNHIBBY
New Improved Nade??

Yuillsy
22-05-2013, 05:53 PM
Did you see this guy come on as a sub in the play off final at the weekend? He was an absolute embarrassment. Totally overweight, I thought he was a fan who had won a competition to play!!! Try and get a look at the highlights and you'll see what I mean.

Macaroon
22-05-2013, 05:53 PM
New Improved Nade??

This would be the result if Nade ate Nade

Vault Boy
22-05-2013, 05:55 PM
This guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adebayo_Akinfenwa has just been released by Northampton in League Two - scoring record of 30ish in the 80 games, built like an absolute tank and would most likely score for fun in the SPL. He is 31, but I think his ball holding skills could help some of our youngsters in the attacking areas of the pitch. Plus, for any readers of FourFourTwo, his professional approach to his fitness regime is mind boggling and a decent example.

We have actually been linked with him (just rumours) for the last couple of seasons. Given the opportunity to sign a player who can bench press a tiger, we surely can't turn it down! :greengrin

Mister P
22-05-2013, 05:56 PM
To the tune of 'he's one of our own'

You's lot got Nade - we got Adebayo

eastmainsmsh
22-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Michael Gardyne training at east mains meant to be couple of midfielders on trial :confused: