Sacked by Wolves this morning

J-C
07-05-2013, 08:36 AM
Sacked by Wolves this morning

Yep on SSN now.:greengrin

Took them from mid table to relegation.

Deek01
07-05-2013, 08:36 AM
Potentially excellent news re sparky. Lets hope they reappoint Solbakken(sp?) and a deal might be as good as done :wink:

Prawn Sandwich
07-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Potentially excellent news re sparky. Lets hope they reappoint Solbakken(sp?) and a deal might be as good as done :wink:

And potentially not good news....... Who knows?

Beefster
07-05-2013, 08:40 AM
Absolute shambles of a club.

Aldo
07-05-2013, 08:43 AM
No meeting this week for Leigh with Saunders then.

macca70
07-05-2013, 08:45 AM
I would say this is not good for us, unless the new manager wants a full clear out to bring in his own players.

If the new guy see's he has SPL young player of the year on the books and if he sees any videos of his goals this season, I would expect he would want Leigh back to at least have a look at him.

Depends on Leigh's attitude aswell, he might make it clear that he wants to stay up here for his 'family' etc. wolves might respect this and let us keep him.

SMAXXA
07-05-2013, 08:48 AM
I would say this is not good for us, unless the new manager wants a full clear out to bring in his own players.

If the new guy see's he has SPL young player of the year on the books and if he sees any videos of his goals this season, I would expect he would want Leigh back to at least have a look at him.

Depends on Leigh's attitude aswell, he might make it clear that he wants to stay up here for his 'family' etc. wolves might respect this and let us keep him.

Harry Potter for the job, would give us a chance of keeping Leigh :greengrin. In all seriousness, what a shambles of an owner that Morgan is proving to be. He is paying the price for all his panic appointments. Cant help feel he know as much about football as oor Rodney :wink:

1875HFC
07-05-2013, 09:01 AM
Cant decide if this is good or bad for us. I would say its not good as any Manager in their right mind, knowing the talent Leigh has, would take him back in their squad to re-build for next season.

All Leigh needs to do is wind up the new Manager when they are appointed like he did with Saunders:aok: (although nothing illegal like his Twittergate scandal involving racism!)

jdships
07-05-2013, 09:03 AM

:agree::thumbsup:
Looks very much a case of " Watch this space" !
Anything could happen now :rolleyes:

Deek01
07-05-2013, 09:04 AM
Would there be a date in LG's contract for the years option to be taken up by?

yeezus.
07-05-2013, 09:04 AM
I wonder if he was sacked for Wolves' relegation or because he kept getting his own players names wrong :confused:

Sir David Gray
07-05-2013, 09:05 AM

Whatever date his original contract expires, I would imagine.

No idea when that is though.

DaveF
07-05-2013, 09:19 AM

Yep, that's a fair summary of things as it really could go either way. The new guy (say it's a Neil Warnock type) might want tried and test pro's who can be relied upon to get out of a tough division, or every player might get a chance to show what they can do. 50/50 I'd say.

Onion
07-05-2013, 09:35 AM
As someone earlier suggested, why would Leigh not have an escape clause in his contract if Wolves were relegated. After dropping two divisions, if Wolves still have an option to extend, LG's agent should be shot.

Beefster
07-05-2013, 09:38 AM
As someone earlier suggested, why would Leigh not have an escape clause in his contract if Wolves were relegated. After dropping two divisions, if Wolves still have an option to extend, LG's agent should be shot.

Moving from a SFL1 club to a Premiership club, I'm pretty sure that relegation wouldn't have been a big issue when Wolves were offering to give him a pay rise of x multiples or that Griffiths would be in that strong a position to start demanding release clauses.

J-C
07-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Depends if Wolves want to make money out of Leigh, so they take up option and sell to us, or someone else.

Leigh tells them he signed with them as an EPL club and not willing to rejoin as a Div 1 team, plus he's settled here with his family.

Onion
07-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Moving from a SFL1 club to a Premiership club, I'm pretty sure that relegation wouldn't have been a big issue when Wolves were offering to give him a pay rise of x multiples or that Griffiths would be in that strong a position to start demanding release clauses.

I guess you're right, but still embarrassing for the agent if Leigh is forced to sign an extension for a third tier English Club with no opt out!

jacomo
07-05-2013, 09:47 AM

On the other side, there may be relegation clauses in his contract that mean a wage cut for next season.

Speculation aside, League One is a less attractive alternative for LG, and footballing-wise staying with Hibs is surely the more attractive option?

Keith_M
07-05-2013, 09:48 AM
Whoever the Wolves manager is, the sensible thing for them to do (whether we like it or not) would be to ensure they activate the extra year option. LG is a proven goalscorer, so they either get to keep him or ensure they make money from his transfer. If they do decide to keep him, he'd score a barrowload in the 3rd tier of English Football.

Surely for them it's a win-win situation.

TheFamous1875
07-05-2013, 09:48 AM
I guess you're right, but still embarrassing for the agent if Leigh is forced to sign an extension for a third tier English Club with no opt out!

Was his agent not Dundee Utd assistant manager/Hibs legend Darren Jackson?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

khib70
07-05-2013, 09:50 AM
:agree:Absolutely - several times

However, even if for whatever reason, Wolves and Leigh part company, that would simply open the door for any other club, not automatically send him in our direction, no? I don't think this alters our situation in any way. He's bound to be on the radar of God knows how many clubs with more money to wave around than us.

Had we a board with a level of ambition higher than our present status, or indeed any level of ambition at all, I'd feel a lot more confident about Leigh staying with us - which is absolutely vital IMO.

Onion
07-05-2013, 10:07 AM
:agree:Absolutely - several times

However, even if for whatever reason, Wolves and Leigh part company, that would simply open the door for any other club, not automatically send him in our direction, no? I don't think this alters our situation in any way. He's bound to be on the radar of God knows how many clubs with more money to wave around than us.

Had we a board with a level of ambition higher than our present status, or indeed any level of ambition at all, I'd feel a lot more confident about Leigh staying with us - which is absolutely vital IMO.

It's the extension option that kills our chances. If LG was a free agent, we might have been able to agree something with him for a year or so but Wolves are in control and will want decent money.

greenlex
07-05-2013, 10:15 AM
If Wolves want to take up their option you would assume its on "at least " the wage he was signed on. Can they now afford this the have fallen two divisions? I would argue any extension should be on an increased wage.

lord bunberry
07-05-2013, 10:21 AM
If Wolves want to take up their option you would assume its on "at least " the wage he was signed on. Can they now afford this the have fallen two divisions? I would argue any extension should be on an increased wage.

They still have the parachute payments from the premier league so they will still have some money kicking about

Brightside
07-05-2013, 10:33 AM
He is under contract to Wolves. It makes no difference what league they are in or if his family live in Texas. He does what he is told until THEY decide to sell him or rip up his contract. People need to stop thinking that Leigh has a say in this matter. IF Hibs keep him it will only be because Wolves want rid.

Jim44
07-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Assuming the problems of actually getting an option to buy/ secure Griffiths signature, the cash on offer will be a major problem. He says he is happy at ER and would like to stay but without the present financial input of Wolves and the reality of the wages we can afford, his enthusiasm for staying might very well wane a wee bit.

Elephant Stone
07-05-2013, 10:58 AM
He is under contract to Wolves. It makes no difference what league they are in or if his family live in Texas. He does what he is told until THEY decide to sell him or rip up his contract. People need to stop thinking that Leigh has a say in this matter. IF Hibs keep him it will only be because Wolves want rid.

He does. If he speaks to the new manager and says that he has absolutely no desire to play in league 1 then it's going to influence the manager's thinking. He's hardly going to want an unhappy/unmotivated player.

Whether or not Leigh does say that is obviously another matter.

Eyrie
07-05-2013, 11:06 AM
He does. If he speaks to the new manager and says that he has absolutely no desire to play in league 1 then it's going to influence the manager's thinking. He's hardly going to want an unhappy/unmotivated player.

Whether or not Leigh does say that is obviously another matter.

That wouldn't stop Wolves activating the extra year and seeking a fee for Griffiths from us or anyone else. The contract buyout is our best hope.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Whoever the Wolves manager is, the sensible thing for them to do (whether we like it or not) would be to ensure they activate the extra year option. LG is a proven goalscorer, so they either get to keep him or ensure they make money from his transfer. If they do decide to keep him, he'd score a barrowload in the 3rd tier of English Football.

Surely for them it's a win-win situation.

This has been blatantly obvious all along, some either can't or don't want to see it.

Up The Bracket
07-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Could Hibs not just offer him a Pre-Contract Agreement now, while they have no manager, as there is no one there to activate the option and stop us?

TheFamous1875
07-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Could Hibs not just offer him a Pre-Contract Agreement now, while they have no manager, as there is no one there to activate the option and stop us?

Exactly! As in, right now, Petrie!!

Surely Leigh's not going to want to a club with as many problems as they face? It can't benefit him at all. He's young, he's playing for his club in his home town and his young family are with him. What more could he want? Push the boat out as much as we can as an incentive, and hopefully we'll have a happy and ever-improving player within our ranks, it's win win for Leigh! He's more of a chance of making it down in England if he stays up here and works on his game.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Saunders out, Fenlon in

lord bunberry
07-05-2013, 11:41 AM
If the situation was reversed and one of our players was out on loan, say martin scott for example and he was doing well would we be happy if the club just let him walk away for nothing. I will absolutely amazes if wolves don't trigger the extra year on his contract, if they don't play him in league 1 they will sell him to the highest bidder

3pm
07-05-2013, 11:45 AM
There must be a date. I'd take a guess that a decision would need to be made by the end of March.

There is no way that Wolves can leave him (Griffiths) hanging about without giving him a decision. I reckon he knows already where he'll be.

Up The Bracket
07-05-2013, 11:48 AM
If the situation was reversed and one of our players was out on loan, say martin scott for example and he was doing well would we be happy if the club just let him walk away for nothing. I will absolutely amazes if wolves don't trigger the extra year on his contract, if they don't play him in league 1 they will sell him to the highest bidder

Jimmy's got another year on his contract.

To be fair, Leigh's case is different, he's been with us for two seasons and Wolves didn't want him until now, he's got a family here, he's playing for the club he loves, he's only 22 and he wants to stay.

I think something will be worked out and he'll be at Hibs by the 31st of August, whether he goes back to Wolves first or not, I'd expect him to be at Hibs next season.

Up The Bracket
07-05-2013, 11:48 AM
There must be a date. I'd take a guess that a decision would need to be made by the end of March.

There is no way that Wolves can leave him (Griffiths) hanging about without giving him a decision. I reckon he knows already where he'll be.

This will all have changed now with the manager gone

HIBERNIAN-0762
07-05-2013, 11:52 AM
All over the papers that he want's to go back to England :rolleyes:

3pm
07-05-2013, 11:52 AM
This will all have changed now with the manager gone

I don't think the manager will matter mate.

I think Wolves as a club will have been duty bound to have given him an answer before now. I think he will know if he has had that option taken up or not.

I can't think of too many examples but this was the most high profile contract take up I can recall.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/596/exclusive/2012/03/20/2979014/manchester-united-to-extend-berbatovs-contract-could-offer

Edit - I repeat, I reckon he knows where he is going.

rubber mal
07-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Am I the only one who thinks it doesn't make a blind bit of difference who the Wolves manager is?

I'd love to be proved wrong but I would think there will be a queue of clubs looking to sign LG in the summer, given his form for us this season. As soon as there's any sort of competition for his signature we won't stand a chance.

TheFamous1875
07-05-2013, 11:54 AM

Regardless, there's not been any decisions made at all (as far as we know), and the manager at the helm of it has just been heaved oot the door. Therefore, if no contract extension sits, surely we can just get him lined up with us for next season on a free right now??

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Jimmy's got another year on his contract.

To be fair, Leigh's case is different, he's been with us for two seasons and Wolves didn't want him until now, he's got a family here, he's playing for the club he loves, he's only 22 and he wants to stay.

I think something will be worked out and he'll be at Hibs by the 31st of August, whether he goes back to Wolves first or not, I'd expect him to be at Hibs next season.

It isnae different, If Wolves think they can make some dough out of triggering the extension then thats exactly what they'll do regardless of a manager being in situ or not, football clubs arnae charities, they won't give two flying ones what Leighs situation is.

DH1875
07-05-2013, 12:30 PM

Leigh signed on the 27th of January so Wolves have until the 27th of JUNE to take up the option. If they don't take it up he is free to walk and go wherever he wants from the 28th. This in my opinion is bad news for us as had it been the 27th May Wolves would be pushing it. They have plenty of time to decide what they plan to do with him.

Brightside
07-05-2013, 03:06 PM
it does not matter who the manager of wolves is... He doesnt actually sign the players you know! :confused:

Beefster
07-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Leigh signed on the 27th of January so Wolves have until the 27th of JUNE to take up the option. If they don't take it up he is free to walk and go wherever he wants from the 28th. This in my opinion is bad news for us as had it been the 27th May Wolves would be pushing it. They have plenty of time to decide what they plan to do with him.

Where are you getting the dates from? If you're guessing, contracts don't necessarily have to run for full months.

silverhibee
07-05-2013, 03:42 PM

What papers :aok:

KeithTheHibby
07-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Saunders is a fanny, why he didn't recall Leigh in January is beyond me. Anyways it was to our advantage and hopefully with a change in manager will see Sparky remain in gods country.

greenlex
07-05-2013, 05:12 PM
They still have the parachute payments from the premier league so they will still have some money kicking about
Its not huge tho. I dont know what it is at the moment but last month the EPL wanted to up it in the second year to 18 Million IIRC. That seems a lot but if there are other players in Leighs positiion and may indeed still be on an "EPL" type contract next season it wont go that far to be honest.

weecounty hibby
07-05-2013, 05:23 PM

No surprise really. Cup final round the corner against one of the twisted sisters, weedgie meedja will go into overdrive with bull**** stories about Hibs and our players

ancient hibee
07-05-2013, 05:38 PM
Griffiths rightly wants to go to England to play at a higher level and get more money.If Wolves can provide it and want him he'll obviously stay there.If they don't want him a club like Doncaster or someone else in the Championship might take a punt.The clubs down south aren't daft-they know that the standard up here is mince but they'll still be interested in a goal scorer though his poor physique will go against him.

eastterrace
07-05-2013, 05:43 PM
if the boot was on the other foot and we had loaned lee out to wolves, would you not want him back to take up the year option

Stringer
07-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Ben Williams chose Hibs over english league 1 football. Leigh should be playing in the championship/ EPL or for his boyhood club.

Hibs07p
07-05-2013, 06:13 PM

Could there be a possible get out for Leigh in this section on Football League registration rules?

64 Transfers After Expiry of Contract

64.1 Subject to the provisions of these Regulations, (and, in particular, Regulation 41), a Player shall be free to seek registration with any Club of his choice, on the expiry of his contract of employment.

64.2 Any Club wishing to re-engage a Contract Player whose contract is due to expire on 30 June must, save as mentioned in Regulations 64.2.1 to 64.2.4 below, notify him in writing by the third Saturday in May in the final year of his contract whether or not they offer him terms of re-engagement specifying (where applicable) such terms. Notification of the terms offered may only be deferred:

64.2.1 in the event of a Club not having completed its League programme by the third Saturday in May, and then only if any outstanding fixture or fixtures could have some bearing on the issues described in Regulation 10 or on possible qualification for other competitions; or

64.2.2 in the event of a Club being involved in the end of Season Play-Off competition as described in Regulation 10; or

64.2.3 in the event of a Club still being involved in a Football Association Cup Match on or after the third Saturday in May; or

64.2.4 in the event of a Club still being involved on or after the third Saturday in May in a competition arranged under the auspices of The League. In these circumstances Players must be notified of the terms offered within four days of the Club's last such match.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/regulations/20110629/section-6-players_2293633_2125731#41

There doesn't seem to be a section covering 1 year options to existing deals, but it could be covered in the section above. If this is the case, they need to offer Leigh a contract by Saturday 18th May. Sparky might have already been offered one, who knows?
GGTTH

DH1875
07-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Where are you getting the dates from? If you're guessing, contracts don't necessarily have to run for full months.

He signed the contract on the 27th of January. 2 and a half years would take you to 27th of June. I'd be pretty amazed if it didn't run till then as why would it end in the middle or the start? They'd be as well given him a 2 year 5 month contract if that were the case.