PDA

View Full Version : hibs fan passing away at 1991 cup final?

Colinton Hibby
06-05-2013, 01:37 PM
can anyone remember a hibs fan collapsing at the 1991 cup final v dunfermline. i was speaking to a mate about yesterday's events at rugby park and he mentioned this but I can't recall it. like the killie fan, i heard the poor guy passed away.

martin63
06-05-2013, 01:40 PM
The guy you are talking about was called Alan and he took my dad to all the away games.He took a heart attack and died at half time. They tried to get a message to me over the tannoy but never heard it so luckily the lady mayoress was there and took my mum and dad home after the match.

Lofarl
06-05-2013, 01:42 PM
I remember that. I was in the south stand. I was 10 years old at the time and I remember being transfixed by the scene. The game just continued on, despite the fact there was a ambulance right on the touch line.

Bishop Hibee
06-05-2013, 02:01 PM
Shows the changing attitude to something like this over the years. I was at the game but can't remember the incident.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-05-2013, 02:04 PM
It was pre-Diana's death, public outpouring of grief wasnae so fashionable back then. Doesnae mean I dinnae feel sorry for those affected by yesterdays events though.

Ayrshire Hibee
06-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Shows the changing attitude to something like this over the years. I was at the game but can't remember the incident.

sure it was the semi v Rangers that this happened and was at the end of the game or half time

Keith_M
06-05-2013, 02:51 PM
As we're on this subject again....

I was working in a whisky distillery near Alloa many moons ago and one guy died in an accident in a warehouse. The whole workforce was sent home because of this. This was NOT some small workplace where everyone knew each other, it's the largest whisky warehouse in the world, with literally hundreds of people working there.

They felt, despite the tens of thousands of pounds lost by doing so, that is was the least they could do, as a mark of respect.

My point being that these things DO happen outside of football, oh and this was BEFORE Diana died.

monktonharp
06-05-2013, 02:58 PM

I was working in a whisky distillery near Alloa many moons ago and one guy died in an accident in a warehouse. The whole workforce was sent home because of this. This was NOT some small workplace where everyone knew each other, it's the largest whisky warehouse in the world, with literally hundreds of people working there.

They felt, despite the tens of thousands of pounds lost by doing so, that is was the least they could do, as a mark of respect.

My point being that these things DO happen outside of football, oh and this was BEFORE Diana died.I've seen much the same happening after bad accidents at the pit. the colliery stopped work in the event of a death and the following shifts never worked as a mark of respect. some might say, work and give your wage to the bereaved but it was the done thing then.

Keith_M
06-05-2013, 03:05 PM
I've seen much the same happening after bad accidents at the pit. the colliery stopped work in the event of a death and the following shifts never worked as a mark of respect. some might say, work and give your wage to the bereaved but it was the done thing then.

Going by your Username.... Monktonhall Colliery?

Pretty Boy
06-05-2013, 03:16 PM

My point being that these things DO happen outside of football, oh and this was BEFORE Diana died.

A few years ago I worked for a well known department store and was one of the trained first aiders.

One day when I wasn't the duty first aider I received a call asking for assistance with an incident in the in store cafe. A 17 year old girl had with an allergy had eaten a peanut and had very quickly gone into anaphylatic shock. She was having real troublebreatjinf.and didn't hav an epipen with her. There wasn't a lot we could do at that point apart from try to keep her comfortable until an ambulance arrived. After about 3 or 4 minutes she took a real turn for the worse, started to go blue around the lips, lost consciousness and her heart stopped. My colleague and I took it in turns to perform CPR for about 10 minutes until professional help arrived. Thankfully after treatment she survived. However neither of us or our other colleagues knew that at the time and we were told to go home and take the rest of the day off. The department was closed for the day with no complaints.

I was surprisingly ok about it but the other guy was quite traumatised and was given extended time off. I absolutely believe calling yesterdays game off, given how obvious the situation was to players and 'customers', and would back that decision if it happened again. Without sounding cold, had it been in a more discrete place I might feel differently but to expect players and fans to continue as if nothing had happened after witnessing that is just wrong.

And that opinion has got nothing to do with Dianas death.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-05-2013, 04:17 PM
The people referencing my Diana comment are completely missing the point, the comment was refering to the increasingly public nature of outpourings of grief and nothing to do with respecting someone who has died. Perhaps things like the internet are to blame, but, these things used to be a lot more private without people feeling the need to broadcast it to all and sundry.

Skol
06-05-2013, 04:39 PM
In can confirm this is true.

I was friends with the son of the Lord provost at the time and he shared the car home with the family of the deceased.

hibeelin
06-05-2013, 06:22 PM
can anyone remember a hibs fan collapsing at the 1991 cup final v dunfermline. i was speaking to a mate about yesterday's events at rugby park and he mentioned this but I can't recall it. like the killie fan, i heard the poor guy passed away.

I was talking about this poor guy last night, remember we were standing right opposite and everybody was half watching the game and half watching the paramedics working on the fan. Looking back now, cant believe everybody just carried on as nothing happened.

scuttle
06-05-2013, 06:36 PM
sure it was the semi v Rangers that this happened and was at the end of the game or half time

It was deffo the final was right behind it in the East terracing behind the goals and just in front of the big Lorimo [i think ] flag

ronaldo7
06-05-2013, 06:47 PM

:agree: We were sitting 3 rows in front of him. My mate (a fireman) went up to give him CPR whilst we waited for the medics to attend. It seemed an age before anyone got to him and they worked on him at the seats and then on a trolley before taking him to the ambulance.

basehibby
06-05-2013, 07:07 PM
I was talking about this poor guy last night, remember we were standing right opposite and everybody was half watching the game and half watching the paramedics working on the fan. Looking back now, cant believe everybody just carried on as nothing happened.

But wasn't that the right thing to do in the circumstances? Not trying to belittle the death of the guy yesterday or of the guy back in 91 at Hampden, BUT people die every day - it is about the only thing that we can all be certain of in life in fact!

A cup final is a one off occasion, massively attended - including people travelling from around the world - and I would have thought that it should be allowed to proceed if at all possible.

KdyHby
06-05-2013, 07:46 PM
BUT people die every day - it is about the only thing that we can all be certain of in life in .

On average 4470 a day last year in Scotland.

Billy Whizz
06-05-2013, 08:07 PM
On average 4470 a day last year in Scotland.

1.5 million a year, think your numbers are wrong

KdyHby
07-05-2013, 06:28 AM
1.5 million a year, think your numbers are wrong

http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/press/news2012/deaths-lowest-since-1855.html

StevieT
07-05-2013, 06:55 AM
The guy at the 1991 cup final was Alan Fraser. As martin63 said he used to take us and our dad to away games when we were younger. He took both my parents to the game that day but he never made it home.

nribs
07-05-2013, 07:03 AM
As Martin63 and StevieT said Alan was a big hibbt. I remember being atte game and seeing the paramedics not knowing it was Alan and not knowing my parents were caught up in the events. Sad day

Hibercelona
07-05-2013, 07:27 AM
http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/press/news2012/deaths-lowest-since-1855.html

The article doesn't say that.

The first thing it says is that 53,661 died in Scotland in 2011 (for the whole year).

If 4470 people died in Scotland on a daily basis, Over 25% of Scotland's population would die each year! :wink:

KdyHby
07-05-2013, 08:58 AM
The article doesn't say that.

The first thing it says is that 53,661 died in Scotland in 2011 (for the whole year).

If 4470 people died in Scotland on a daily basis, Over 25% of Scotland's population would die each year! :wink:

Ooops, been reading too much Yamamatics

Hibercelona
07-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Ooops, been reading too much Yamamatics

Being the nation of chippy munchers and beer guzzlers that we are, we're probably not too far off that statistic now that I think of it. :greengrin

18/03/07
07-05-2013, 10:08 AM

Was that the incident with the whisky barrel at blackgrange?

Keith_M
07-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Was that the incident with the whisky barrel at blackgrange?

It was indeed. Did you used to work there?

Bristolhibby
07-05-2013, 11:29 AM
A few years ago I worked for a well known department store and was one of the trained first aiders.

One day when I wasn't the duty first aider I received a call asking for assistance with an incident in the in store cafe. A 17 year old girl had with an allergy had eaten a peanut and had very quickly gone into anaphylatic shock. She was having real troublebreatjinf.and didn't hav an epipen with her. There wasn't a lot we could do at that point apart from try to keep her comfortable until an ambulance arrived. After about 3 or 4 minutes she took a real turn for the worse, started to go blue around the lips, lost consciousness and her heart stopped. My colleague and I took it in turns to perform CPR for about 10 minutes until professional help arrived. Thankfully after treatment she survived. However neither of us or our other colleagues knew that at the time and we were told to go home and take the rest of the day off. The department was closed for the day with no complaints.

I was surprisingly ok about it but the other guy was quite traumatised and was given extended time off. I absolutely believe calling yesterdays game off, given how obvious the situation was to players and 'customers', and would back that decision if it happened again. Without sounding cold, had it been in a more discrete place I might feel differently but to expect players and fans to continue as if nothing had happened after witnessing that is just wrong.

And that opinion has got nothing to do with Dianas death.

Remember a couple of friends of mine came into school white as sheets. They had just seen a guy melted by the school bus they were on. At 17 we had all done a first aid course. The two of them went out and treated the guy the best they could.

After the ambulance took him away, just being kids they got on the next bus and went to school. They looked well shook up, cant remember if they went home or not. Sadly the guy passed away later in hospital, but they were praised for helping.

Just outlines for me why all companies should be mandated in giving first aid courses. My company does, however it has been years since I went on one. Myst book myself on one, perhaps in the Summer when its less busy. Also having two small children, I feel I should know the basics.

J

Colinton Hibby
17-05-2013, 01:30 PM
still trying to get info on this,
or hopefully contact the family.
anyone got any leads?