PDA

View Full Version : Sad news - fan died in hospital

theonlywayisup
05-05-2013, 08:27 PM
Sky Sports news reporting that the fan that collapsed at today's match has died.

Sad news.

RIP

oramhibee
05-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Bad news about the guy who collapsed at the game today:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/spl-match-between-kilmarnock-hibs-1871353

R.I.P

JimBHibees
05-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Rip.

FranckSuzy
05-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Sad news. My thoughts go out to his friends and family. RIP.

davcar
05-05-2013, 08:35 PM
RIP to the fan and condolences to his family and friends from the Hibee Family!

essexhibee
05-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Absolutely terrible. May he rest in peace.

Sudds_1
05-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Awful thing to happen...........puts the game of football well in perspective. A family sees its father leave to cheer his team on..... and that goodbye is the last words they hear. I can't imagine the heartbreak........or the shock. Makes me think of my own family and how they would be if it was me.........

..ones own mortality versus a game of football. Makes you think.

Westie1875
05-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Very sad news, RIP.

Gus Fring
05-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Awful news. Sean Murdoch tweeted saying we should retire the match in his memory. I agree with this. Give each team a point and move on.

R'Albin
05-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Awful news, really tragic. R.I.P

3pm
05-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Sleep well Sir.

Rest in Peace. We're thinking of you.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
05-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Devistating news. RIP! Heart goes out to the family!

dp00
05-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Awful news. Sean Murdoch tweeted saying we should retire the match in his memory. I agree with this. Give each team a point and move on.

I agree.... tottaly the right decision

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

hibee_girl
Awful news.

R.I.P

Pete

Is that allowed?

vercol36
Really sad, thoughts are with the family.

frazeHFC
Terrible news, RIP.

Scouse Hibee
05-05-2013, 08:43 PM
RIP. Always sad when a member of the football family goes to the game and doesn't return.

R'Albin
05-05-2013, 08:45 PM

Totally agree with the sentiment but would go about it a different way. I think it would be better if they play the replay, with all proceeds going to the appropriate charity.

Vault Boy
05-05-2013, 08:49 PM
Awful news, condolences go to his friends and family, RIP.

TrinityHibs
05-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Is that allowed?

Does it really matter?

frazeHFC
From Killie forum

Fans around us all reacted really quickly to get stewards, medics, police over straight away, took us a few minutes of balling at the ref to stop the game before he finally paid attention.

Took the guy down track side and worked on him for 15-20 minutes, pumping his chest, defib, etc. Knew watching it that he was a goner, they spent all that time working away at him and there didn't seem to be any sign of recovery. Getting upset just thinking about it again actually. Guy just stood up, obviously knew something was wrong, and collapsed. Thud was horrible.

******* horrendous sitting there as a guy takes his last breaths, thousands of folk looking on helpless, in a massive venue where everyone pays money to come in and be entertained. You could hear a pin drop.

There's a bit of you that doesn't want to walk away and give up on the guy, but in hindsight now I wish I hadn't kept watching. Obviously had I known the outcome I wouldn't have watched, but you're just looking on in hope.

Horrendous thing to go to the football and see, never what you expect

Very sad. :(

hfc rd
Really sad news. My condolences go to his family and friends. I hope all the proceeds from the replay go to the appropriate charity.

R.I.P

Sudds_1

Agreed.....Dundee down so its a nothing game. Take a point each and move on.

Gus Fring
05-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Totally agree with the sentiment but would go about it a different way. I think it would be better if they play the replay, with all proceeds going to the appropriate charity.

I'd assume any replay will be free of charge for those who already attended ala the Motherwell replay recently

brythehibby
05-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Horrible scenes at the game. Thoughts and prayers to the family. Very sad indeed. Rest in peace

Leithenhibby
05-05-2013, 08:53 PM

:agree:

Or family.......

RIP Fella :(

R'Albin
05-05-2013, 08:54 PM
I'd assume any replay will be free of charge for those who already attended ala the Motherwell replay recently

Did they manage to sort out vouchers or anything like that? Again, you're gonna have trouble knowing who was there and who wasn't. I doubt people would object to paying a tenner if it were going straight to charity.

silverhibee
05-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Sad news.

RIP

FranckSuzy
05-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Terrible news. Must have been awful to witness as well.

Capt Mainwaring
05-05-2013, 08:58 PM
dreadful news. So very sad. RIP

dp00
05-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Did think retiring the game was a good idea however £10er entry with all money going to relevant charity would be a good gesture too

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

oconnors_strip
05-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Did they manage to sort out vouchers or anything like that? Again, you're gonna have trouble knowing who was there and who wasn't. I doubt people would object to paying a tenner if it were going straight to charity.

no vouchers when walking out, i also said something to people on my bus about money going to a heart charity or something like that

killie-hibby
05-05-2013, 09:00 PM

One point each and no replay is most appropriate. While watching CPR being administered I sensed the attitude of the crowd was that the medics attempts to save the supporters life was a much greater priority than the outcome of the match. Had the match resumed I would have been disgusted.
If the SPL demand a replay I hope the gate money is donated to the victims family.

Pete
05-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Does it really matter?

I can just see us both agreeing to share a point and some little man at the SPL come out with a rule book and tell us that it isn't allowed.

I was just wondering if there was a precedent. I would prefer to retire the match out of respect rather than have a replay.

Still fairly young and heart goes out to the family.

Cabbage
05-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Terrible news thoughts with his family.

RIP.

weedgiehibbie
05-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Very sad news indeed. RIP :boo hoo:

HibeeSince85
05-05-2013, 09:05 PM
Horrible news. Condolences to his family at this very sad time for them.

Reading the Killie fans account, it sounds very quick. Hopefully this is the case.

lord bunberry
05-05-2013, 09:06 PM

Maybe they should just have a collection for the guys family

Cabbage
05-05-2013, 09:06 PM
How about the game replayed but as a tribute to the guy who obviously loved his team the gate money being donated to a heart charity. Donations taken at turnstiles etc.

More of a testimonial feel to it than a league game.

Although this would need to be checked with the guys family they would need to approve.

R'Albin
05-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Maybe they should just have a collection for the guys family

I think you're setting a dangerous precedent there though. Would you not be a little annoyed, if a relative of yours died at a football game but it didn't interrupt the game, and you weren't given the money from the club?

Jonnyboy
05-05-2013, 09:10 PM
There but for the Grace of God

RIP

HibeeMG
05-05-2013, 09:13 PM
There but for the Grace of God

RIP

Indeed

RIP Fella

monktonharp
05-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Watched this game today in the pub and as we had virtually no sound, I pointed out to a few mates that there was something serious happening. a ref just disnae grab the ball and walk off the park. we initially thought that a fan/someone had attacked a player or something, but after a few minutes when the players went up the tunnel it was a bit more than that. very sad indeed, for the family involved and also for Kilmarnock football club who have had to deal with 2 similar incidents very recently. R.I.P

tetley
05-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Sad news thoughts go out to his family and friends RIP

lord bunberry
05-05-2013, 09:19 PM
I think you're setting a dangerous precedent there though. Would you not be a little annoyed, if a relative of yours died at a football game but it didn't interrupt the game, and you weren't given the money from the club?

I see what your saying but it's the first time I've seen a game being abandoned due to a spectator collapsing during a game and hopefully the last time

Pretty Boy
05-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Horrible news and horrible incident to witness.

Nothing more to add, what happens now is up the league and clubs.

RIP.

fatbloke
05-05-2013, 09:24 PM

Agree with this 100%. Free entry for all with a donation to the guy's family. I think that the game has to be played as unfortunately there are big financial implications on final league placings for the clubs and those around the 2 clubs in the league.

killie-hibby
05-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Why?

The deceased was a long standing ST holder and supporter of KFC. The gesture of donating the gate money to his family would be one of basic decency and appreciation of his support of the club. I do hope there is not a replay. There is no other reason for a replay than the supporters death. Surely his family should then benefit.

IWasThere2016
05-05-2013, 09:28 PM
So sad - RIP

TomoHFC
05-05-2013, 09:35 PM
R.i.p

trev the hat
05-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Condolences to family. Very sad news. RIP

500miles
05-05-2013, 09:45 PM
I don't want people to take this the wrong way, but this is my two cents, from my own experience.

I really don't agree with this whole "retiring the game" idea. We don't know this guy, he wasn't a well kent face at either club, or a club hero. He's just a guy. It is lamentable and tragic for the family and those who know him, but it's tacky for us, who don't even know his name to be organising methods of grieving and reverence. In the past year I've got messages of support regarding serious illness (which has now passed, thankfully) from people I had never met, and never will. To be honest, at the time, I didn't appreciate some of it, and even now, there are times when I wished some folk would shut up about it. Best wishes were one thing, but being overly flowery or gushing about stuff that didn't effect their day to day lives at all felt a bit intrusive in some cases, and superficial/ insincere in others.

In my opinion, we should be respectful in our silence, get involved in a fundraising effort if we are asked, and allow the involved parties - the family and, to an extent, Killie, to grieve.

LeighLoyal
05-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Sad news, RIP.

davhibby
05-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Just seen a Killie fan on twitter suggest a 54th minute applause in the replay which would be a nice touch I think

monktonharp
05-05-2013, 09:59 PM
I don't want people to take this the wrong way, but this is my two cents, from my own experience.

I really don't agree with this whole "retiring the game" idea. We don't know this guy, he wasn't a well kent face at either club, or a club hero. He's just a guy. It is lamentable and tragic for the family and those who know him, but it's tacky for us, who don't even know his name to be organising methods of grieving and reverence. In the past year I've got messages of support regarding serious illness (which has now passed, thankfully) from people I had never met, and never will. To be honest, at the time, I didn't appreciate some of it, and even now, there are times when I wished some folk would shut up about it. Best wishes were one thing, but being overly flowery or gushing about stuff that didn't effect their day to day lives at all felt a bit intrusive in some cases, and superficial/ insincere in others.

In my opinion, we should be respectful in our silence, get involved in a fundraising effort if we are asked, and allow the involved parties - the family and, to an extent, Killie, to grieve. well, you've got me on that one:rolleyes:

Viva_Palmeiras
05-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Rip. Today is not the time for looking at replays where's and why fors collections retirals IMO.

Glorious
05-05-2013, 10:07 PM
Condolences to the family. RIP.

Sir David Gray
05-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Sad to hear of his death. Thoughts should be with his family and friends, first and foremost.

As for the match itself, I don't agree that the game should just be forgotten about.

The game was abandoned and the rule for all abandoned games is that they are replayed. There's no grey areas with it at all and I'm not aware of an abandoned game ever not being replayed.

Perhaps some of the proceeds of the gate receipts could go to the British Heart Foundation or something like that.

Green Lady
05-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Was an awful thing to witness. My thoughts are with the guys family and friends. RIP.

Scottie
05-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Hopefully the SPL will get together with Killie & Hibs and rearrange this match for the week after the cup final as some sort of tribute to the poor man and his family. To hell with protocall.

This giving the family and Killie time to come to terms with what happened today.

With a cash gate with the procedes going to the right causes concerned. I'm sure the game would be a sell out as a mark of respect.

Finally like many have said before my thought's and prayers go out to the family and friends of a fellow football fan.

RIP from the Hibs Football family.

markom127
05-05-2013, 10:35 PM
I think everyone at the derby next week should have a minutes applause in the 54th minute as a tribute to him

RIP

EdinMike
05-05-2013, 10:46 PM
Awful news, really tragic. R.I.P

Scuse me, but weren't you one that said the game should have continued ?

lord bunberry
05-05-2013, 10:57 PM

Does that mean he can't express his sadness at the guys passing

R'Albin
05-05-2013, 11:13 PM

Yep.

Does that mean I think it's good news?

Green Blood
05-05-2013, 11:17 PM
Sad News! RIP and my thoughts are with your family.

JohnStephens91
05-05-2013, 11:39 PM

In my opinion, we should be respectful in our silence, get involved in a fundraising effort if we are asked, and allow the involved parties - the family and, to an extent, Killie, to grieve.

I was there today and stood and watched another human being die. For the Hibs fans that travelled through it was a horrific experience as we watched someone fight for their life and the silence was deafening. I don't think it is tacky for the fans who witnessed another person in a stadium to cheer on his team dying to arrange to send wreaths or cards to Kilmarnock to pass on to the family. I think your criticism is unfair, watching someone die is not a nice experience and will undoubtedly have had an impact on the fans at the stadium today.

JohnStephens91
05-05-2013, 11:46 PM
Condolences go to the family and friends of the Kilmarnock fan. It was a galling experience for all. From the moment the game was stopped it never looked good at all. It's not something I expected to see at a football match in my life and unfortunately it happened today, it was very upsetting to have viewed.

Jones28
05-05-2013, 11:57 PM
Puts football into perspective. RIP

SmallvilleHibee
06-05-2013, 12:50 AM
Very sad news. No one should ever go to a football match and not return home and after witnessing it first hand I would have been disgusted if the game had been continued. Football NEVER goes above someone's life

500miles
06-05-2013, 06:25 AM
I was there today and stood and watched another human being die. For the Hibs fans that travelled through it was a horrific experience as we watched someone fight for their life and the silence was deafening. I don't think it is tacky for the fans who witnessed another person in a stadium to cheer on his team dying to arrange to send wreaths or cards to Kilmarnock to pass on to the family. I think your criticism is unfair, watching someone die is not a nice experience and will undoubtedly have had an impact on the fans at the stadium today.

Trust me, I watched plenty of folk dying for the better part of 5 months. I woke up on more than one occasion to guys names getting wiped off the door, having only just shared brief encounters with them in the hall the day before. I understand that it isn't nice - haunting is the word i associate with it - but unlike the family, we'll probably find ourselves forgetting about the incident this week, even as early as today and getting on with our day. It won't hang over us constantly, like it will the family.

All I'm trying to say is, space and time should be given to the family. If they wish to grieve entirely privately, that's fine. If at any time they have a request to make of the clubs, then we should listen, and do our utmost to accommodate them. Right now, however, I feel that a collection at the ground on the day of the replay, or even collections SPL wide this weekend, should be quietly organised and handed over to Killie for them to give the family, who may well have lost their main breadwinner, which will become another stress upon the family who is already under so much pressure.

I've just got an awful vision of the Record or STV Scotland turning up at the door and bothering his wife if we make it a football-wide issue.

Milandinho
06-05-2013, 07:36 AM
Rip.

Billy Whizz
06-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Only in his late 40's as well. Sad news

EdinMike
06-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Yep.

Does that mean I think it's good news?

Nope, you in my eyes didn't cherish a life. And your ignorance protrude you didn't care, you wanted your "Fitbaw Game" to carry on, others were in shock. Gotta a lot of growing up to do laddie.

NAE NOOKIE
06-05-2013, 09:32 AM
RIP to a fellow fitba fan.

I think thats the deal here. Football is a common bond you share with folk you have never met and you know that they love their clubs as much as you love yours. Because of that there is no harm in expressing sympathy to the family of someone you didnt know, but shared a passion with.

Also no harm in Killie sending a sympathy card with a wee note saying let us know if there is anything we can do. That would give the family a chance to reach out knowing that asking is OK.

R'Albin
06-05-2013, 09:53 AM
Nope, you in my eyes didn't cherish a life. And your ignorance protrude you didn't care, you wanted your "Fitbaw Game" to carry on, others were in shock. Gotta a lot of growing up to do laddie.

I don't really think this thread should be turning into a debate, but nonetheless...

First off, you posted on the other thread: "Probably not, but clearly you've never witness some die or struggle for their life infront of you". A couple of years ago I witnessed a 12 year old lay motionless after being hit by a car. At the time I was terrified for him, because for all I knew he could have been dying, but after the incident I still went to school and got on with my day. The road wasn't closed in respect for him, people were obviously shaken up, but we all just got on with our lives.

I know I'm making assumptions here (you'd know all about that), but I think had this been a bigger game it would have continued. If this game gets called off in 'respect' for the man, then a game at absolutely any level should be treated the exact same way. If a fan dies in the crowd of a World cup final, or a Champions League final then the game should be stopped as well - and I'm almost certain that wouldn't be the case.

Edit - We can PM if you want to discuss it anymore, just wanted to clarify that I'm not angry at the decision to call it off in anyway, just would have dealt with it differently.

Phil MaGlass
06-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Such a pity that this, a thread about a sad loss of life has turned into this, why not just PM each other and leave the rest of us to put up our condolances.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-05-2013, 10:09 AM
One thread that was heading in the same direction was closed yesterday.

sbell1875
06-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Sky Sports news reporting that the fan that collapsed at today's match has died.

Sad news.

RIP

Extremely sad news. It seems Kilmarnock have suffered an unusually high volume of tragic events during / after matches in the last couple of years.

I fully expect a minutes silence when the game is rearranged.

vanNISHtelroy
06-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Didn't know Jim but just wanted to post "RIP", felt really weird sitting in the stand with that going on opposite (with the game stopped, and for the few minutes before the game was stopped). Having seen some of the looks on the players faces on SKY when I got home, you don't know what frame of mind they were in.

Your fans have been a credit with both the reaction at the game and on here.

Nothing has been sorted yet but people have suggested either a minutes silence from the fans in the minute the game was stopped or singing paper roses (which would kinda leave you lot out a wee bit).

Will post if hear anything else about it.

blackpoolhibs
06-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Very sad news, RIP.

Sudds_1
06-05-2013, 11:51 AM
One thread that was heading in the same direction was closed yesterday.

if this goes the same way it too should be closed.

heretoday
06-05-2013, 01:35 PM
[QUOTE=peter douglas;3589525]I can just see us both agreeing to share a point and some little man at the SPL come out with a rule book and tell us that it isn't allowed.

I was just wondering if there was a precedent. I would prefer to retire the match out of respect rather than have a replay.

REPLY : Once you atart doing that sort of thing you're on a slippery slope I reckon. You have to follow the rules - even those belonging to your "little man" at the SPL!

I can think of a few games at ER I wouldn't have minded "retiring" at half-time. Take a point and eff off to the boozer!

vanNISHtelroy
06-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Killie Statement:

Kilmarnock Football Club (https://www.facebook.com/OfficialKilmarnockFootballClub?ref=stream&hc_location=stream)Message of condolence to the family of James Haswell

Everyone at Kilmarnock Football Club extends their sincere condolences to the family and friends of the late James Haswell, who tragically passed away on Sunday 5th May after taking ill at Rugby Park during our match against Hibernian FC.

In particular, our thoughts and prayers are with his widow Aileen and daughters Nicola and Stephanie.
Aged 48, Jim had been a life long supporter of "Killie" and a season ticket holder for many years. His love of Kilmarnock FC was deep rooted and it is a tragedy for all who share his passion for the Club that we have lost a truly devoted supporter.

Mrs Aileen Haswell said: "Jim lived for Killie and his family. He only missed one game in 17 years. He was the biggest Killie fan you could know.

"On behalf of our daughters, Nicola and Stephanie, Stephanie's boyfriend, Martin Rae, and Jim's best friend, Gordon Law, I would like to thank fans, family, colleagues and neighbours for their support.

"I would also like to thank everyone who worked so hard to help Jim yesterday, to the staff at Killie and A&E at Crosshouse, and to both sets of fans for their tributes.

"We would be very grateful if the media would now respect our privacy and that of our friends, neighbours and Jim's colleagues, and allow us to grieve."

The Club's arrangements to mark Jims' passing will be announced following discussions with his close family. Meantime, the Club requests that the media respect the privacy of the family at this sad time.

06-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Terrible to hear that this poor guy sadly never pulled through. Puts everything into perspective. Deepest thoughts and sympathy go to his family and friends.

RIP

Billy Whizz
06-05-2013, 03:06 PM
What a great fan of his club, missed one game in 17 years.

Iggy Pope
06-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Hopefully the SPL will get together with Killie & Hibs and rearrange this match for the week after the cup final as some sort of tribute to the poor man and his family. To hell with protocall.

This giving the family and Killie time to come to terms with what happened today.

With a cash gate with the procedes going to the right causes concerned. I'm sure the game would be a sell out as a mark of respect.

Finally like many have said before my thought's and prayers go out to the family and friends of a fellow football fan.

RIP from the Hibs Football family.

Hear hear.
Take a meaningless 90mins and turn it into a celebration of the common punter who died at the game he loved, whilst watching the club he obviously loved.
What's not to love????

A chance for both clubs and both sets of supporters to do something genuinely worthwhile. Might also help focus an effort to divert away from the pointless bitching and point scoring on this and the previous match thread.

Billy Whizz
06-05-2013, 03:50 PM
The difficulty may be with having the game after the cup final, is the players may be away on holiday. Killie's players I presume will go on hols a week earlier than Hibs, at the end of the SPL season

Baldy Foghorn
06-05-2013, 03:57 PM
The difficulty may be with having the game after the cup final, is the players may be away on holiday. Killie's players I presume will go on hols a week earlier than Hibs, at the end of the SPL season

I think the match will be played next Wednesday. Would be nice for both sets of supporter's to show a mark of respect to the Man, who was a true football fan, and clearly loved his Club....

Pretty Boy
06-05-2013, 04:03 PM
I wonder if Kilmarnock could work out the minimum they could charge to cover costs based on a crowd of say 5000 and charge that and then allow fans to make a discretionary donation to the British Heart Foundation or similar charity at the turnstiles.

Would be a nice tribute and a worthwhile gesture imo.

FranckSuzy
06-05-2013, 04:16 PM
Just my tuppence worth, why not get The British Heart Foundation to have a collection outside the ground? That way the occasion is marked but also fans have a choice whether they want to donate as well. RIP Jim.

Bostonhibby
06-05-2013, 04:34 PM
What sounds like a real fan went too early whilst watching his club, thoughts are with his family and friends. What happens with the game is irrelevant to me, whatever happens is fine.