PDA

View Full Version : Alex Harris contract

AngusHibby
05-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Anyone know how long his contract is with us? One we'll be wanting to keep a hold of for years to come I reckon.

Heisenberg
05-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Looks a top talent. Hope he signs on as he's only got a year left IIRC?

Stevie Reid
05-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Seems like a level headed lad so will hopefully commit to a few years. Best prospect that we've had in many years, and a guy that people will pay to watch.

neil7908
05-05-2013, 05:22 PM
The most promising youngster to come out of ER in years. We have to be careful not to get carried away with him as like all young players, he will have a bad patch of form but looks a great prospect.

I love his directness, Wotherspoon was doing similar things earlier this season and we looked a much better team with someone from midfield that can run at the opposition and pitch in with a goal or 2. Put him in a settled midfield next season with Craig and Taiwo alongside him and a couple of decent forwards to link up with and I think we'll see him really start to shine.

Need to offer him a 3-4 year deal ASAP.

Northernhibee
05-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Think we should be looking at a two year deal with a two year option on top of that; we just have to look at Callum Booth who had a similarly very promising start to only drop right off the boil.

The lad has a lot of talent but we need to keep our feet on the ground here and not take too many risks.

Stevie Reid
05-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Think we should be looking at a two year deal with a two year option on top of that; we just have to look at Callum Booth who had a similarly very promising start to only drop right off the boil.

The lad has a lot of talent but we need to keep our feet on the ground here and not take too many risks.

I understand that there are lessons in the past from giving youngsters long contracts, but Harris looks miles better than Booth ever did, IMO. Booth looked accomplished at LB until he had to deal with players running and him and any aerial threats, then it all went wrong. Hopefully he still has a future with us but I can't see it.

I hope we get Harris on lengthy contract. He looks the real deal.

SMAXXA
05-05-2013, 06:06 PM
I understand that there are lessons in the past from giving youngsters long contracts, but Harris looks miles better than Booth ever did, IMO. Booth looked accomplished at LB until he had to deal with players running and him and any aerial threats, then it all went wrong. Hopefully he still has a future with us but I can't see it.

He has all the attributes for a player in his position, quick, direct, can play a pass and as you say a real level headed guy. For me he is the most exciting prospect we have had for years, 4 year deal for me. Booth will be back next year also.

weecounty hibby
05-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Chick Hun on the radio today already trying to sell him. Said he knew of clubs keeping tabs on Harris. Expect more of this as we build up to 26th May

blaikie
05-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Chick Hun on the radio today already trying to sell him. Said he knew of clubs keeping tabs on Harris. Expect more of this as we build up to 26th May

Same Chick Dung that was touting Thommo to the Arabs! Utter cretin :)

Jonnyboy
05-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Boozy has it all in front of him. I hope a fair portion of that is with Hibs.

As an aside, is it a sign of the times that a thread rightly praising a youngster has only nine posts while one calling the abilities of another into question is heading towards thirty?

marinello59
05-05-2013, 09:33 PM
He is an absolute joy to watch. It is inevitable that other clubs will be looking at him. Leys hope he continues to attract attention because it will mean he is doing the business for us.

GreenCastle
05-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Good segment before the game on Sky Sports about Harris. Can anyone post it up here please?

Hibs need to get a deal for him sorted ASAP - even if he does leave soon means we will get some money for him - hopefully he can stay and learn for a while then he will rightly get a decent move down south.

LeighLoyal
05-05-2013, 09:44 PM
My worry would be another scenario like the Aberdeen kid Ryan Fraser, he's went down there for quick money and done his career no good at all. Petrie sort it!

Jones28
06-05-2013, 12:12 AM
Here's hoping he signs an extension! Very exciting prospect, the most exciting player we've brought through for many a year.

Sprouleflyer
06-05-2013, 07:36 AM
Boozy has it all in front of him. I hope a fair portion of that is with Hibs.

As an aside, is it a sign of the times that a thread rightly praising a youngster has only nine posts while one calling the abilities of another into question is heading towards thirty?

Boozy? How did Harris get this nickname?

Billy Whizz
06-05-2013, 07:40 AM
Boozy? How did Harris get this nickname?

His hairstyle is similar to the original "Boozy"

KWJ
06-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Did I hear him say somewhere that he was a Celtic fan when very young but after signing for Hibs his dad took him along to all the Hibs games and we're now his team? Hopefully helps if they case. Gets you inching forward on your seat when he's in possession, exciting!

:cb

WestEndHibee
06-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Did I hear him say somewhere that he was a Celtic fan when very young but after signing for Hibs his dad took him along to all the Hibs games and we're now his team? Hopefully helps if they case. Gets you inching forward on your seat when he's in possession, exciting!

:cb

His dad took him to the Celtic games when he was younger but as soon as he joined Hibs he became a Hibby. Really enjoys the club and is a clever level headed guy which he's been showing on the pitch. Hopefully he can keep doing it for the Hibs for a while yet!

R'Albin
06-05-2013, 11:36 AM
My worry would be another scenario like the Aberdeen kid Ryan Fraser, he's went down there for quick money and done his career no good at all. Petrie sort it!

I honestly have a feeling he'll show more sense than that and stay with us for a while. Really hope he stays on for at least another year or so, even if we do lose him for not much cash, it's just a breath of fresh air watching a guy actually take on players. :agree:

WestEndHibee
06-05-2013, 11:37 AM
I honestly have a feeling he'll show more sense than that and stay with us for a while. Really hope he stays on for at least another year or so, even if we do lose him for not much cash, it's just a breath of fresh air watching a guy actually take on players. :agree:

:agree:

blackpoolhibs
06-05-2013, 11:45 AM

To see someone who takes players on, then actually beat them with a turn of pace and skill is such a pleasure. :agree:

I hope with him being so young, someone is talking to him about stability and his career. He has the world at his feet, and seems to be a level headed young man.

He should spend a few years learning his trade at Hibs, growing as a player and helping the club as we help him progress. Bearing in mind yesterday was his 7th appearance, we shouldn't be putting too much pressure on the lad, but still telling him he has a long way to go but he has a good chance of making a decent future out the game.

Its a long time since i felt so good about a winger at the club, and for him to have come through the ranks makes it all so much better. :top marks

Bristolhibby
06-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Scores a try at Murrayfield (for Edinburgh Academy) then scores at Hampden.

Not many people have done that at any level.

J

PatHead
06-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Will his goal yesterday now be removed from the records with the game being abandoned? If so, shame as it was a very cool finish. He will just need to score 2 like that next weekend to make up for it.

Treadstone
06-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Will his goal yesterday now be removed from the records with the game being abandoned? If so, shame as it was a very cool finish. He will just need to score 2 like that next weekend to make up for it.

Aye. Goals out, yellow cards in.

The Sea-gull
06-05-2013, 12:53 PM

This is probaly true but whether Young knows this or is just reading between the lines is another matter.

Aberdeen, Killie and Dundee United have all lost young players recently even though they have not played much first team football. Six figure transfer fees are very hard to turn down for SPL clubs, Hibs are no different. As clubs down south are clearly looking to plunder young talent at knock down prices, Harris will not have gone unnoticed and many big clubs will have been aware of him long before we, as fans, were.

There seems to be a trend now of English clubs signing the young Scotttish players up when they are really young rather than wait until they have played a couple of seasons for the first team, signed better contracts and then have to fork out relatively big fees for them ala Goodwillie, Fletcher etc. It means they may end up with a gem on the cheap and if they don't then 200k is not a lot of moneyt for them to risk.

From the Scottish team perspective it is difficult. Do you turn down the money in the hope they might net you £2.5m rather than 250k further down the line? Do you sign your players on an improved, long term contract only to be "stuck" with the player if he doesn't fulfil potential.

Then of course there is the small matter of the player himself. He may just simply refuse to sign a contract if his head is being turned by agents etc. Harris seems sensible enough but money talks and you often can't blame them for taking a good deal if it is offered to them. They may think that they might not get offered it again.

VickMackie
06-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Hopefully we don't bulk him up like usually happens to young players in Scotland.

Wotherspiniesta
06-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Hopefully we don't bulk him up like usually happens to young players in Scotland.

:aok:

In this country, far too much emphasis gets put on players being tough enough or big enough to play in the SPL.

When Spoony broke through he was a little gem, but very slight. He's put on weight and lost a yard or two of pace because of it.

Harris should concentrate on improving the footballing side of his game more. His technique, trickery and directness are what make him an affective player.

I've been very impressed by him in that respect. Also, he's shown a lot of composure in the final 3rd. His ball to Sparky in the semi and his goal yesterday in particular. Certainly looks a great prospect

nonshinyfinish
His dad took him to the Celtic games when he was younger but as soon as he joined Hibs he became a Hibby. Really enjoys the club and is a clever level headed guy which he's been showing on the pitch. Hopefully he can keep doing it for the Hibs for a while yet!

I really hope he's not mixed up with the Mayfield Young Boys, that's the last thing we need. :bitchy:

Sprouleflyer
His hairstyle is similar to the original "Boozy"

:aok:

06-05-2013, 03:26 PM

Thats the problem and we have seen it happen with youngsters at hibs aswell when they have a good run in the team, they start to get a bit too big for their boots and feel they are too big and deserev to be playing at a higher level. They end up leaving too soon and ultimatly damaging their careers, instead of staying at clubs like Aberdeen and Hibs for a bit longer and developing and maturing as players. Look at Fletcher for example, he stayed on at hibs and developed his game and ultimatly ends up being a very successfull player having a successful time down in the English premier league. Where as the likes of Thompson and co were quick to run off to the old firm.

I think Harris seems like quite a level headed laddie. Even through his recent success in the team and coming into the spotlight he seems to have remained quite modest and mature so hopefully he realises that by staying at hibs for a few more years he can really develop himself as a player and do himself a lot of good. You see so many times when young players start to come into the spotlight they get far to over cocky and think they are better than they are.

WestEndHibee
06-05-2013, 03:51 PM
I really hope he's not mixed up with the Mayfield Young Boys, that's the last thing we need. :bitchy:

:greengrin

s.a.m
06-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Good segment before the game on Sky Sports about Harris. Can anyone post it up here please?

Hibs need to get a deal for him sorted ASAP - even if he does leave soon means we will get some money for him - hopefully he can stay and learn for a while then he will rightly get a decent move down south.

Is this it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShpjN09UQsI&feature=youtu.be

offshorehibby
06-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Is this it?

Did anybody notice the the wee hob and skip by Cairney as he came on to the park about 2.45 in. Did Benji not do a similar thing.

hibsbollah
06-05-2013, 05:53 PM
I heard Chick Young trying to sell Harris on the radio like a nasty little baldy pimp. He did the same with Kevin Thomson a while back, suggesting that Houston was watching him for the Arabs. I didn't believe the Thomson rumour, and I'm guessing Young is just spraffing nonsense again this time. He probably thinks gossiping makes him sound informed and important. But he's neither.

3pm
06-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Is this it?

Who are the 2 young guys he's talking to with rhe Hibs tracksuits on?!

oconnors_strip
06-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Who are the 2 young guys he's talking to with rhe Hibs tracksuits on?!

David gold on the left and jamie Beaton on the right

3pm
06-05-2013, 06:23 PM
David gold on the left and jamie Beaton on the right

Where does the boy Beaton come from?! I am sure there is a guy who gets on the bus in the morning who plays for Hibs. Looks like that guy.

Pretty Boy
06-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Great wee player.

Direct, confident, deceptively quick and tricky.

The kind of player I don't grudge paying money to watch.

Hopefully we can get a deal sorted for him asap.

Up The Bracket
06-05-2013, 06:58 PM

He went to Edinburgh Academy mate, I've spoken to him a few times and he's the complete opposite of the likes of Riordan and O'Connor in that respect.

nonshinyfinish
06-05-2013, 07:04 PM
He went to Edinburgh Academy mate, I've spoken to him a few times and he's the complete opposite of the likes of Riordan and O'Connor in that respect.

Tongue in cheek...I think you're unaware of the proud history of the Mayfield Young Boys.

Up The Bracket
06-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Where does the boy Beaton come from?! I am sure there is a guy who gets on the bus in the morning who plays for Hibs. Looks like that guy.

He lives in Gilmerton mate

Up The Bracket
06-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Tongue in cheek...I think you're unaware of the proud history of the Mayfield Young Boys.

Probably a bit young, the joke was obviously lost on me

Purehibee_MYB
06-05-2013, 07:24 PM

The MYB is a proud institution not involved in trouble but supporting the Hibees! :thumbsup:

3pm
06-05-2013, 07:24 PM
He lives in Gilmerton mate

Most likely him then. Cheers felly.

SaulGoodman
06-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Probably a bit young, the joke was obviously lost on me

You won't have heard of them, they are never involved in anything.

WestEndHibee
06-05-2013, 07:37 PM

Established during one of Mayfield's most troubled eras (the infamous bagel shortage of early 2013) the MYB became an outlet for the disillusioned youth through which they could channel all anger towards constructive support of our boys in green. Sometimes known as the real singing section, the MYB proudly own 2 flags (pending amazon delivery) and membership is rumoured to be as high as 5.

Purehibee_MYB
06-05-2013, 07:43 PM

Big plans for the Cup Final :aok:

LioNeilMessi
06-05-2013, 08:05 PM

Shamelessly mentioning this but.. March saw two members raise nearly £150 for a local kids charity (£120 excluding Gift aid) by running the Meadows Half Marathon; and finish in time to get to the pub and watch Leigh get a hat-trick:thumbsup:

Ambitious full marathon planned for next year :cb

Scouse Hibee
06-05-2013, 08:19 PM

Sound like a Morris dancing troup.

Purehibee_MYB
06-05-2013, 08:27 PM
Sound like a Morris dancing troup.

Only the first Sunday of every month :cb

Scouse Hibee
06-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Only the first Sunday of every month :cb

:greengrin

superfurryhibby
07-05-2013, 03:43 PM

Agreed about the contract, should be signed up on a long one.

Disagree about Booth, if Stevenson can manage the lengthy career he has had with us then there must be hope for Booth. More of a footballer than Stevenson will ever be.

Up The Bracket
07-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Agreed about the contract, should be signed up on a long one.

Disagree about Booth, if Stevenson can manage the lengthy career he has had with us then there must be hope for Booth. More of a footballer than Stevenson will ever be.

It's all about attitudes though, if Booth had the same attitude as Stevenson, then he'd probably have earned a mega bucks move down south already, like so many, Boothy has the talent, but his attitude leaves alot to be desired.

Lewis isn't perfect but he works hard, tries his heart out every game and I think he's a very good full back at SPL level, I'd play him in the final over Clancy.

LioNeilMessi
07-05-2013, 04:33 PM
It's all about attitudes though, if Booth had the same attitude as Stevenson, then he'd probably have earned a mega bucks move down south already, like so many, Boothy has the talent, but his attitude leaves alot to be desired.

Lewis isn't perfect but he works hard, tries his heart out every game and I think he's a very good full back at SPL level, I'd play him in the final over Clancy.

Does booth really have an attitude problem? Or are you basing that on things you have read on here? Not having a go, just curious.

Regardless of whether Harris makes it or not, he's definitely worth the punt of a long term deal based on his impact this season. This thread is about Harris isn't it :greengrin:

Up The Bracket
07-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Does booth really have an attitude problem? Or are you basing that on things you have read on here? Not having a go, just curious.

Regardless of whether Harris makes it or not, he's definitely worth the punt of a long term deal based on his impact this season. This thread is about Harris isn't it :greengrin:

I know a few of the lads who play for the U20's, I'm far from being in the know, but I asked what happened with him and the answer was that they knew as much as me, his effort in training was very poor in the summer apparantly.

Speedway
07-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Yams are taking an interest in him.

Aldo
07-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Yams are taking an interest in him.

Farf farf.... You trolling mate?? ;-)

Speedway
07-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Farf farf.... You trolling mate?? ;-)

No, they need a replacement for 'Screwy' in the summer.

Aldo
07-05-2013, 08:26 PM
No, they need a replacement for 'Screwy' in the summer.

Am I being stupid the nite 'Screwy' ??

No get it now (AD)

superfurryhibby
07-05-2013, 08:27 PM

Lewis isn't perfect but he works hard, tries his heart out every game and I think he's a very good full back at SPL level, I'd play him in the final over Clancy. I find the idea of Lewis at right back terrifying. Do agree that he gives us all he's got but It's not enough. Clancy was good until his even longer injury. He's not been great since his return but he's the best option at right back . Booth willget a chance pre season and if he cannae make it then he's done in top flight football. Left mid is his if he wants it.

Eyrie
07-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Stevenson has no right foot, which rules him out as anything other than an emergency RB.

As regards Booth - how well is he playing for Livingston? Because if he isn't a star in Division One what makes people think he will be good enough for next year's Hibs squad?

HibeeN
07-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Booth willget a chance pre season and if he cannae make it then he's done in top flight football. Left mid is his if he wants it.

Ahead of Harris? Not for me.

Jonnyboy
07-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Stevenson has no right foot, which rules him out as anything other than an emergency RB.

As regards Booth - how well is he playing for Livingston? Because if he isn't a star in Division One what makes people think he will be good enough for next year's Hibs squad?

He's not - they've sent him back to us

superfurryhibby
08-05-2013, 08:14 AM
Ahead of Harris? Not for me.

Harris is right footed?

J-C
08-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Harris is right footed?

:agree: Fenlon has been playing him on the left to accommodate Handling or Doyle, plus Fenlon for some reason likes playing wingers on the opposite side, did the same with Sproule.

TheFamous1875
08-05-2013, 09:13 AM
:agree: Fenlon has been playing him on the left to accommodate Handling or Doyle, plus Fenlon for some reason likes playing wingers on the opposite side, did the same with Sproule.

I can see why he would do it with Harris, can cut in, etc, but not with Sproule. Sproule's game is getting forward to the by-line, (hopefully) with the ball still at his feet, and the only way he could do that was using his right foot. Has anyone been keeping tabs on how Sproule's getting on up north? I seem to recall him getting more freedom on the park up there.
I'd love to see Harris on the right to see how he does, but with what he can do on the left it might not be as rewarding putting him there. Only time will tell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Eyrie
08-05-2013, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the update. Unless he was injured, that would indicate that he wasn't playing well enough for a First Division club.

ian cruise
08-05-2013, 10:18 AM
I can see why he would do it with Harris, can cut in, etc, but not with Sproule. Sproule's game is getting forward to the by-line, (hopefully) with the ball still at his feet, and the only way he could do that was using his right foot. Has anyone been keeping tabs on how Sproule's getting on up north? I seem to recall him getting more freedom on the park up there.

From press reports he seems to be enjoying his time up there. When he's played he's had decent rating in press and scored a fair few times. I try keep an eye out for his name as he will always be a favourite if mine. Was sad it didn't work out second time around (I agree with your assessment of why) so glad to see he's having a decent time up north.

lord bunberry
08-05-2013, 10:21 AM

Is that not because his loan period is up

BEEJ
08-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Only in the last few days then. :confused:

He turned out for Livingston FC on Saturday. :wink:

scoopyboy
08-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the update. Unless he was injured, that would indicate that he wasn't playing well enough for a First Division club.

Simply a case of Livingston's season being finished.

Johnnyboy mischief making I suspect.

Eyrie
08-05-2013, 06:23 PM

Note to self - never trust a centenarian :grr:

Jonnyboy
08-05-2013, 08:20 PM

:na na:

I read it on teletext so it must be true :greengrin

To be fair the article spoke of a number of players being released and that CB was returning to his parent club.

What now for CB? Such promise when he first broke through. Will we keep him?

HibeeN
08-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Harris is right footed?

I know, but he's been playing particularly well on the left. Can't see why Booth would dislodge him.

O'Rourke3
08-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Since i was on Boozy's table tonight ....Claimed he'd heard nothing. we didn't necessarily believe it. Kuqi at same table and admitted trying to gettini the young uns to screw the nut. Harris seems to be one that listened and had nothing but praise for the big guy

superfurryhibby
09-05-2013, 11:09 AM
I know, but he's been playing particularly well on the left. Can't see why Booth would dislodge him.

It's about natural balance. Unless Harris is particularly good with his left then he's disadvantaged when trying to whip in an early ball. Who will be playing wide right next season?

I also think Harris has enough about him to play central mid. We have been desperate for an attacking option there for several years.

superfurryhibby
09-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Since i was on Boozy's table tonight ....Claimed he'd heard nothing. we didn't necessarily believe it. Kuqi at same table and admitted trying to gettini the young uns to screw the nut. Harris seems to be one that listened and had nothing but praise for the big guy

Care to elaborate? Not sure what you're referring to.

As for Kuqi, I'll take half his wages and offer my man of the world experience to the young team.

O'Rourke3
09-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Care to elaborate? Not sure what you're referring to.

As for Kuqi, I'll take half his wages and offer my man of the world experience to the young team.

The pitfalls of mobile phone, train and alcohol. I was at the sponsor's event to collect Harris's signed shirt. I was seated at the same table as him all night. He was asked directly what his contract situation was. One year to run but so far, no attempt from the club to speak to him. It was this last bit we didn't think was quite true.
Kuqi, same table, talked about how he tries to get the younger players to buckle down and look after themselves in order to a) have a career, a) prolong same. Boozy appears to be one of the ones at ER who paid attention and obviously has a lot of time for him. He came over as a sensible decent bloke who in this occasion, it didn't work out. He coaches the youngsters and is very popular.

The conclusion I didn't get to was that if there's a player we should be taking a punt on, then Harris is one. Adulation and celebrity doesn't seem to have got to him yet. Part of his job still is to clean the boots, a task he does happily because it's part of his job.

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Exciting talent. Great performance by Hibs against "the best set of youngsters in Scotland" LOL! I've had numerous pints, i'm going for more, I'll look in again tomorrow. PS The 4 in hand has been braw so far!

Tynie01011973
12-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Exciting talent. Great performance by Hibs against "the best set of youngsters in Scotland" LOL! I've had numerous pints, i'm going for more, I'll look in again tomorrow. PS The 4 in hand has been braw so far!

Boozy is looking better each game and it seems as though our players are recognising it as well - he seems to be the first outlet that they look for.

Harris and Forster (considering it was his debut) were immense today - McHattie had a new one ripped everytime Harris ran at him.

That Carrick looks a bit of a player though :faf:

hfc rd
15-05-2013, 08:57 PM
When does it expire? The young lad has been a revelation in this Hibs team. The wide player we have been crying out for, for a very long time. He reminds me so much like a youthful Ryan Giggs. Energy, pace, trickery, direct. What a player the young lad is and what a player he is going to develop into when he hits his peak.

FromTheCapital
15-05-2013, 09:33 PM
A guy just sent a tweet to Hibs on Twitter saying "On behalf of every Hibs fan, I request that Alex Harris is offered a new long-term deal" and Alex Harris retweeted it. Probably just a small thing but a bit of hope?

:thumbsup:

LioNeilMessi
15-05-2013, 09:43 PM
A guy just sent a tweet to Hibs on Twitter saying "On behalf of every Hibs fan, I request that Alex Harris is offered a new long-term deal" and Alex Harris retweeted it. Probably just a small thing but a bit of hope?

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Hopefully he'll have the right people around him to encourage him towards staying here and developing further.