PDA

View Full Version : Summer football

PatHead
05-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Good balanced article on BBC about summer football. Must admit I am in favour of it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/22337539

Stevie Reid
05-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Good balanced article on BBC about summer football. Must admit I am in favour of it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/22337539

There's certainly a number of positives that could come from it, not least going to games in better weather, and playing on much better pitches.

HFC07
05-05-2013, 04:40 PM
I would prefer summer football, I think a lot more fans would go if there weren't sitting shivering in the stands.

eastterrace
05-05-2013, 04:42 PM
summer football would be a bonus for us as sky would want to show our games as there would be no other football in june and july so we could benefit from that and crowds would surely be bigger if weather was better , okay we lose the x-mas tradition but its the way forward

Haymaker
05-05-2013, 04:48 PM
I dont believe we would get a better tv deal than currently by switching to summer. Two months at most? Every other year the Euros and Worlds would take away the audience. Also, who would we sell it too? The English wouldnt give a **** anymore than they do now.

Andy74
05-05-2013, 04:51 PM
Summer is for other stuff.

Anyway, every game I recall being off for weather has been for rain in the summer!

PatHead
05-05-2013, 04:51 PM
I dont believe we would get a better tv deal than currently by switching to summer. Two months at most? Every other year the Euros and Worlds would take away the audience. Also, who would we sell it too? The English wouldnt give a **** anymore than they do now.

As the league would be settled in October it would mean more meaningful games at a time of the year there isn't much happening in the English leagues so might be more attractive to Sky/BT/BBC

Ryan91
05-05-2013, 04:53 PM
I think that summer football is a fantastic idea. It would likely result in a much higher quality of pitch although the way in which pitches are maintained would likely have to change slightly..

So yes, I'm all for summer football, I think most of the fans would be for it too, although what are the chances of the powers that be ever listening to the fans?

neilmartinrocks
05-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Summer is for other stuff.

Anyway, every game I recall being off for weather has been for rain in the summer!

Aye it wuild get in the way of my flyfishing.:fishin:

Haymaker
05-05-2013, 04:57 PM
As the league would be settled in October it would mean more meaningful games at a time of the year there isn't much happening in the English leagues so might be more attractive to Sky/BT/BBC

More meaningful games for what extended market? We wont get a bigger deal unless we get a huge increase in viewing figures which we eont do.

Alfred E Newman
05-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Can't believe folk are still coming out with this rubbish. The arguments against have been well stated and proved so just forget it.

West hamBERNIAN
05-05-2013, 05:00 PM
I'm all for it, much better going to games when it's not Baltic, the pitches turn to muck in the winter and we are useless during the winter months. Every year it seems we get to winter and give up. :rolleyes:

PatHead
05-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Can't believe folk are still coming out with this rubbish. The arguments against have been well stated and proved so just forget it.

SFA must be considering it if they are looking at a report. I can't think of reasons against it with the exception of international tournaments. With a possible World Cup Finals being in the winter it gives the perfect opportunity to change things around. If the games was being set up now rather than 150 years ago common sense would dictate a summer game. Just because it has always been that way is no reason to keep the status quo.

Golden Bear
05-05-2013, 05:12 PM
So when is summer exactly?

neilmartinrocks
05-05-2013, 05:13 PM
SFA must be considering it if they are looking at a report. I can't think of reasons against it with the exception of international tournaments. With a possible World Cup Finals being in the winter it gives the perfect opportunity to change things around. If the games was being set up now rather than 150 years ago common sense would dictate a summer game. Just because it has always been that way is no reason to keep the status quo.

Was it no the case that most of the earlier teams were made up of cricket players trying to keep fit in the winter.

PatHead
05-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Was it no the case that most of the earlier teams were made up of cricket players trying to keep fit in the winter.

Still doesn't change the fact that if the game was now being instigated you would go for the best conditions. Think one club was set up by a dance troupe trying to keep fit though........

PatHead
05-05-2013, 05:20 PM
So when is summer exactly?

Good question but surely a season between March-October

greenpaper55
05-05-2013, 05:24 PM
I think the Irish league is played in the summer and Certainly Sweden do as well, it's not done the Swede's any harm has it ?. Might be alright if you could sip a cool lager or two while watching the game-better than bovril any day !.

Andy74
05-05-2013, 05:25 PM
I think the Irish league is played in the summer and Certainly Sweden do as well, it's not done the Swede's any harm has it ?. Might be alright if you could sip a cool lager or two while watching the game-better than bovril any day !.

The same Irish league that it regularly derided on here?

neilmartinrocks
05-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Still doesn't change the fact that if the game was now being instigated you would go for the best conditions. Think one club was set up by a dance troupe trying to keep fit though........

Was looking up on tinternet and came across this peach...
However, a decade before the Spiders converted them to the beautiful game, a Heart of Midlothion cricket team was mentioned in The Scotsman from 1864 onwards. The fact this club frequently complained about the umpire's decisions also adds to the evidence they were the same as the soccer club of today.

PatHead
05-05-2013, 05:36 PM
:faf::faf:
Was looking up on tinternet and came across this peach...
However, a decade before the Spiders converted them to the beautiful game, a Heart of Midlothion cricket team was mentioned in The Scotsman from 1864 onwards. The fact this club frequently complained about the umpire's decisions also adds to the evidence they were the same as the soccer club of today.

southern hibby
05-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Aye it wuild get in the way of my flyfishing.:fishin:

Mine too, however there's Sunday for flyfishing and knowing our luck for saturday football you'd probably be able to fish then too.

Ozyhibby
05-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Summer football is a great idea so it's doubtful the SFA will go for it.

Gatecrasher
05-05-2013, 08:07 PM
IMO summer football is the way to go.

frazeHFC
05-05-2013, 08:09 PM
The weather in the summer is often worse, our wettest months occur around that time. And if it was summer football doubt i would go for a season ticket as summer is golf time.

Hibs Class
05-05-2013, 08:10 PM
My summer holidays usually cover 3 Saturdays so I'd be inclined to disregard a season ticket, in which case I'd probably then miss more games at walk up rates. Summer football isn't for me.

marinello59
05-05-2013, 08:47 PM

Proved?
Summer football is the way forward for Scottish football. It has worked in Ireland, no reason why it shouldn't here .

jonty
05-05-2013, 08:50 PM
I'd rather sit in the warm pissing rain than the freezing cold pissing rain.

weecounty hibby
05-05-2013, 08:51 PM
It is definitely the way forward. As for the suggestion that the weather is worse in summer, WTF we had temps of -20 two winters ago! Granted the last couple haven't been great and we may not have the sunniest summers but that was just a ridiculous statement

greenpaper55
05-05-2013, 08:55 PM
The same Irish league that it regularly derided on here?

Fair enough but what about sweden Norway and Finland . All these countries have a summer season and i think you will find that they are higher in the rankings than Scotland ?.

PatHead
05-05-2013, 11:12 PM
Fair enough but what about sweden Norway and Finland . All these countries have a summer season and i think you will find that they are higher in the rankings than Scotland ?.

The same Irish league whose clubs are doing better in Europe than they have ever done before.....................

Haymaker
05-05-2013, 11:32 PM

So playing in the Summer will make Scotland great again?!

That doesnt fly. Add this to the bigger tv deal bull****.

cabbageandribs1875
05-05-2013, 11:51 PM
I'd rather sit in the warm pissing rain than the freezing cold pissing rain.

this :agree:

Jones28
06-05-2013, 12:09 AM
I love the idea of summer football. Night time games in July where you can still go in your tshirts. That's this way to do it. Have summer football with 5pm Saturday kick offs. Gives people time to do stuff (golf, days out with kids etc) during the day and back in time for the football.