PDA

View Full Version : Gary Deegan

FromTheCapital
05-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Not heard any news as to the health of the fan but praying that he can pull through. But, away from that (no disrespect intended) I thought Gary Deegan was absolutely woeful. All he does is slow the game down and give away possession. His passing is poor and he can't run to save himself. Makes me wonder how he got played over Claros or even Taiwo who has been in great form recently. Common sense really... :rolleyes:

Andy74
05-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Not heard any news as to the health of the fan but praying that he can pull through. But, away from that (no disrespect intended) I thought Gary Deegan was absolutely woeful. All he does is slow the game down and give away possession. His passing is poor and he can't run to save himself. Makes me wonder how he got played over Claros or even Taiwo who has been in great form recently. Common sense really... :rolleyes:

Due to them getting a rest.

It is tricky to come in for a game and be at your best.

I feel sorry for Deegan and a bit disappointed he's not getting more support from us.

Before he got attacked he was probably our best midfielder and exactly what we needed. By all accounts a great influence on others as he demanded commitment and a winning attitude.

The guy has said he had mental issues to cope with after the attack, was eating purée food through a straw and lost a huge amount of weight.

Without a doubt its had a major effect on his fitness and his mental capacity to play and impose himself.

I reckon a bit of understanding and support would be good but not likely.

essexhibee
05-05-2013, 04:08 PM
I didnt actually think he was that bad today. Deegan situation saddens me and angers massively at the same time. Was playing great before some ****bag hits him unprovoked from the side like an absolute coward and he's never been the same player since.

blackpoolhibs
05-05-2013, 04:11 PM
He was ok today, he's been better and been worse. As Andy said about Done, once you are picked as one of the scapegoats, there's no way back for you with some.

I have been one of his fiercest critics recently, but today he was better and did ok.

500miles
05-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Kilmarnock never stop moving, so it was a tough shift for him and Thomson, two of our less mobile midifielders. They done OK, and it was probably a worthwhile experiment, if for no other reason than it underlines that Taiwo and Claros are our best partnership because they give us more mobility.

Stevie Reid
05-05-2013, 04:25 PM

I feel sorry for Deegan and a bit disappointed he's not getting more support from us.

Before he got attacked he was probably our best midfielder and exactly what we needed. By all accounts a great influence on others as he demanded commitment and a winning attitude.

The guy has said he had mental issues to cope with after the attack, was eating purée food through a straw and lost a huge amount of weight.

Without a doubt its had a major effect on his fitness and his mental capacity to play and impose himself.

Deegan has never been our best midfielder at any point, but was certainly our worst for a while. He was actually ok today, his passing was a bit better and he didn't give the ball away as much - overall he has been disappointing though, and I will be happy to see him go at the end of the season.

He wasn't as bad as the OP was making out, but he's never been as good as you believe he has, IMO. No doubt it's a massive shame that he was attacked, but he's at the end of his contract and offers us little.

Vault Boy
05-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Deegan has never been our best midfielder at any point, but was certainly our worst for a while. He was actually ok today, his passing was a bit better and he didn't give the ball away as much - overall he has been disappointing though, and I will be happy to see him go at the end of the season.

He wasn't as bad as the OP was making out, but he's never been as good as you believe he has, IMO. No doubt it's a massive shame that he was attacked, but he's at the end of his contract and offers us little.

:agree:

Billychaotic182
05-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Bit harsh

West hamBERNIAN
05-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Thought he looked okay today, seen much worse from him. We've had far worse midfielders at hibs recently as well. Kerr, de graff and the lad from Falkirk whose name I can't even remember. Things have been worse.

neil7908
05-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Not a bad player by any means but personally would not be offering him terms for next season. If thats the case he would go with my best wishes as he's looked decent at times this season (I initially thought he was miles ahead of Taiwo) but Taiwo, Claros and Thomson are all ahead of him and to be honest, although Robertson hasn't exactly had the best of starts I would still hope he can improve and come into the first team. Add Craig coming in the summer and I just cant see a lot of space for Deegan.

Onion
05-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Deegan was simply woeful. How come we never seem to play AGAINST players as bad as him ?

allmodcons
05-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Kilmarnock never stop moving, so it was a tough shift for him and Thomson, two of our less mobile midifielders. They done OK, and it was probably a worthwhile experiment, if for no other reason than it underlines that Taiwo and Claros are our best partnership because they give us more mobility.

Taiwo before Thomson? No contest. Thomson is miles ahead of him in almost every department.

Aldo
05-05-2013, 05:31 PM
If we play 3 in the middle, for me anyway it should be

Taiwo. Claros Thompson.

less and we are screwed. My opinion mind.

Northernhibee
05-05-2013, 05:37 PM
I kind of think he's become a bit obsolete since we've gotten in KT and Taiwo's come on leaps and bounds, both can break up play and create a little space for others, but the previous are more mobile with better distribution.

Would still wish him all the best for the future though.

SMAXXA
05-05-2013, 05:39 PM

Taiwo. Claros Thompson.

:agree:

blackpoolhibs
05-05-2013, 05:47 PM

Taiwo. Claros Thompson.

I'd agree, with Harris on the left and one of Doyle or Wotherspoon on the right.

Aldo
05-05-2013, 05:51 PM
I'd agree, with Harris on the left and one of Doyle or Wotherspoon on the right.

BH think it maybe Doyle. Tbh I don't trust Worherspoon after his recent performances.

blackpoolhibs
05-05-2013, 05:53 PM
BH think it maybe Doyle. Tbh I don't trust Worherspoon after his recent performances.

Doyle had a terrific game on the right when we beat them at easter road, i'm swaying towards him myself. :agree:

Stevie Reid
05-05-2013, 05:55 PM
The five subs for the bench will be the hardest choice for Pat in the SC final. Keeper will be one, that leaves four - I would have Maybury, Wotherspon, Stevenson and I'm not sure who else.

Want Doyle wide right in a 4-5-1, with the 3 central midfielders mentioned above, and Alex Harris.

neil7908
05-05-2013, 06:24 PM
The five subs for the bench will be the hardest choice for Pat in the SC final. Keeper will be one, that leaves four - I would have Maybury, Wotherspon, Stevenson and I'm not sure who else.

Want Doyle wide right in a 4-5-1, with the 3 central midfielders mentioned above, and Alex Harris.

Its a difficult one (I've no idea why there's only 5 subs allowed in the cup either) but it would have to be an attacker, someone to bring on if we were a goal down with 10 minutes to go. Handling or Caldwell would be the ones I would be looking at right now, wouldn't want to choose between the two of them though.

Its incredible when you think back to how well he was playing earlier in the season but I think theres very little chance of Cairney making the 16. No idea whats happened to him but I really hope that he can capture some of his form as he looked like a real find. Ditto Robertson who I felt would become an integral part of our midfield.

Vault Boy
05-05-2013, 06:35 PM

Personally would have Handling in place of Spoony and Caldwell occupying the other space. A big game for potentially 3 or more of our youngsters to be part of, but from what we've seen of them I'm sure they'll cope. No fear from them.

Northernhibee
05-05-2013, 06:36 PM
Would quite like to see:

Williams
Maybury McGivern Hanlon Stevenson
Doyle Taiwo Claros Harris
Caldwell Griffiths

Subs: Murdoch, McPake, Thomson, Wotherspoon, Handing

Think Caldwell would give the Celtic defence something to think about as they'd have done well to get much info on him. Doyle was good wide right vs Celtic and with Harris on the other wing offers attacking options from midfield. McGivern and Hanlon were excellent vs Hearts in the fourth round and we're keeping that Taiwo/Claros midfield pairing.

Stringer
05-05-2013, 06:38 PM
If it wasn't for Gary Deegan there wouldn't be a final.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p412Uo2paSI

JimBHibees
05-05-2013, 07:01 PM
He does seem to get a hard time from the Mourinho's in the crowd. Decent enough player and thought he was excellent v Celtc at ER however needs a run to get on the bench in the final IMO.

WeeCraigy
05-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Taiwo before Thomson? No contest. Thomson is miles ahead of him in almost every department.

But he can't work with claros at all

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Considering what this boy has gone through off the pitch I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to get as far away from Edinburgh as he can when his deal is up.

Holmesdale Hibs
05-05-2013, 09:16 PM

Agree with this. Deegan was playing well before he was injured although hasn't recaptured his form since returning.

I remember reading an interview with him after the attack and I hadn't initially realised how bad it was. It sounds like something most people would struggle to come to terms with.

Jonnyboy
05-05-2013, 09:17 PM

Mine too :agree:

Jonnyboy
05-05-2013, 09:19 PM
If it wasn't for Gary Deegan there wouldn't be a final.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p412Uo2paSI

Yes there would. We might not have been in it though :wink:

J-C
05-05-2013, 09:40 PM

If rumours about his bevvying and gambling are true, it's no wonder he's hardly played and when he does it's at a snails pace, no loss at all and another who's came here and lived a luxury lifestyle while doing nowt.

NorthNorfolkHFC
05-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Deegan completes our worst 11 midfield.

Deegan, Kerr, McBride, Chisholm.

essexhibee
05-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Deegan completes our worst 11 midfield.

Deegan, Kerr, McBride, Chisholm.

Utter pish. So Deegan is worse than Joe Keenan?!

Baffling.

Aldo
05-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Doyle had a terrific game on the right when we beat them at easter road, i'm swaying towards him myself. :agree:

I'm tending to agree. My team

Williams
Clancy McPake Hanlon McGivern
Taiwo. Claros. Thompson
Doyle. Harris
Griffiths

Depends on injuries but would think they would line up no far from that team.

Subs: Murdoch, Handling, Stevenson, Caldwell a n other.

Stringer
05-05-2013, 11:12 PM

Williams
Taiwo. Claros. Thompson
Doyle. Harris
Griffiths

My team - 4 2 3 1

Williams
Stevenson McPake Hanlon McGivern
Taiwo Thompson
Handling Doyle Harris
Griffiths

Plus Gary deegan is a world beater. :sofa:

Shrekko
05-05-2013, 11:37 PM

You stated well after his comeback that he was BY FAR our best midfielder and those who disagreed with your assessment were 'jokers'. You sound like you're back-tracking.

Pretty sure he's back to his normal weight and he's fine mentally to play football. I also think his level of performance has been steady before and after the attack. He's a decent enough player, but the fact is we have better midfielders.

Good luck to him wherever he ends up next season, but I'm pretty sure he won't be here.

The Sea-gull
06-05-2013, 08:15 AM

I agree with you in that perhaps he should be getting a bit more support than he has been and get cut a bit more slack if he has had issues following his attack.

I also agree that he did start the season quite well and was a presence in our midfield pre his attack. I do feel though he was treading a fine line between being a tough tackling midfielder and an out and out hatchet man who just isn't really that good a football player. There is room for players like that in any team but they have to be able to play a bit too.

You were quite vocal in your backing of Deegan and let everyone know how great you thought he was. Comments along the lines of "Deegan is first name on the teamsheet and the sooner we all realise it the better". While a few others maybe rated him a bit you seemed to think he was a top drawer player we were lucky to have and inferred that those of us who couldn't see it were of inferior footballing intellect.

He's well behind Thomson, Claros and Taiwo for a starting slot in midfield.

oneone73
06-05-2013, 08:30 AM

Williams
Taiwo. Claros. Thompson
Doyle. Harris
Griffiths

I'm ok with that, Spoony would be my final sub. If McGivern doesn't make it, Lewis to LB Maybury to the bench.

truehibernian
06-05-2013, 08:32 AM
Has fouling down to an art - also has not tracking runners and ball watching in his footballing armoury too.

More than happy if he's shown the door in summer. Players like him are keeping out real talent like Horribine and Stanton (if he stays).

Gary also needs to learn the art of passing forward as do the other midfielders - seems our midfield seem content playing the ball from side to side - the goals are at the other end of the pitch !! Yesterday Handling started off up top with Leigh, yet both lads had to drop deeper and deeper to get the ball from midfield - an absolute must that Pat gets creativity and width/pace in midfield area in summer window.

NorthNorfolkHFC
06-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Utter pish. So Deegan is worse than Joe Keenan?!

Baffling.

Probably have to play five in midfield then! Forgot about Joe Keenan.

Deegan still gets his game though. He really is a poor footballer. He has no defining attributes: very slow, poor passer, rarely scores goals, can't tackle (gives away stupid fouls in dangerous positions) and can't/won't go forward.

Sounds awfully like I'm slating him but I am just stating the obvious, he's probably a decent lad and has had a crap time up here getting a slap off a jambo which no doubt buggered his confidence. However I cannot see what Pat saw in him when signing him.