PDA

View Full Version : Riordan to Brora Rangers

KanyeWestLower
04-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Just heard he's signed on for next season...

Brora Rangers that is

Bostonhibby
04-05-2013, 09:48 AM
[QUOTE=Mckenzie1875;3587492]Just heard he's signed on for next season...

If it had to be Rangers better that its the more established and stable of the two that are in Scotland, you know where you are with clubs with a bit of history and half decent credit rating. Good luck Deek.

Keith_M
04-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Oh how the mighty have fallen

Golden Bear
04-05-2013, 10:06 AM
That seems so ridiculous that there might just be an element of truth in it.

KanyeWestLower
04-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Brora have a fair bit of money about them.

KanyeWestLower
04-05-2013, 10:11 AM
That seems so ridiculous that there might just be an element of truth in it.

Gospel

VickMackie
04-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Gospel

Made up lies?

Part/Time Supporter
04-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Still at the "audacious bid" stage

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/3225280/

Sir David Gray
04-05-2013, 02:39 PM
I don't know about anyone else but I find that story quite sad.

At 30 years of age, Derek Riordan should be near the top of his game at the moment and, considering how good he was 7 or 8 years ago, he should be playing for a big team in England at the moment and a regular in the Scottish national team.

Very sad that he might be playing in the Highland League.

Scouse Hibee
04-05-2013, 03:05 PM

At 30 years of age, Derek Riordan should be near the top of his game at the moment and, considering how good he was 7 or 8 years ago, he should be playing for a big team in England at the moment and a regular in the Scottish national team.

I wonder if Deek feels the same?

VickMackie
04-05-2013, 03:16 PM
I wonder if Deek feels the same?

You'd certainly hope he would but may not be the case.

marinello59
04-05-2013, 04:13 PM

He played for the club he loved and scored more than a few superb goals. His career may not have lasted as long as he would have wished but he has done something the rest of us can only dream about. It ain't that sad.

blackpoolhibs
04-05-2013, 04:41 PM
He played for the club he loved and scored more than a few superb goals. His career may not have lasted as long as he would have wished but he has done something the rest of us can only dream about. It ain't that sad.

:agree:

Anyone else remember a pre season friendly we had up in Brora mid 70s? I'm sure a Hibs fan ran onto the pitch and tackled one of our players?

I think we won 6 or 7 nil, but what i remember more clearly was the locals were not too friendly, and our twin room had about 9 of us in it. :greengrin

The police came and threw those that had not paid out, and drove them out of town in our mini bus, and parked up took the keys of them and told them to pick them up in the morning.

I think Riki Regina was the driver? :confused:

Hibernia Na Eir
04-05-2013, 04:52 PM
if true, what a laugh! the player is truly long finished. couldn't even warm st johnstone bench. Hahaha smelly, rotten huns

Sir David Gray
04-05-2013, 04:53 PM

When he was starting out in his professional career 12 or 13 years ago, I don't think many people would have predicted there would be talk of him signing for Brora Rangers in the Highland League by the time he was 30.

He should be much better than that.

The Harp
04-05-2013, 04:56 PM

No denying Deek has scored some vital goals for us and is part of Hibs folk lore. However, he was capable of doing so much more and could have been at his peak right now. His decision to live his life the way he wanted to is of course his decision - but what a waste of talent.

Baldy Foghorn
04-05-2013, 04:56 PM
if true, what a laugh! the player is truly long finished. couldn't even warm st johnstone bench. Hahaha smelly, rotten huns

I'm going to take a stab in the dark, and guess you have only read the title and not the thread:greengrin

wick hibby
04-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Well not 2 many PUBS in BRora :wink::wink:

Hibercelona
04-05-2013, 05:00 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3b/Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg/300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Seveno
04-05-2013, 05:11 PM
I had my best ever fish supper in Brora.

NOLA
04-05-2013, 05:18 PM
When he was starting out in his professional career 12 or 13 years ago, I don't think many people would have predicted there would be talk of him signing for Brora Rangers in the Highland League by the time he was 30.

He should be much better than that.
he's only got himself to blame, im just glad we saw him at his peak.

heretoday
04-05-2013, 05:29 PM
He'll have a job getting into mischief up there.

Nuitdelune
04-05-2013, 05:33 PM
I had my best ever fish supper in Brora.

They are the best still

Glory Lurker
04-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Even if they get Deek, Brora will still be forever in Wick Academy's shadow. Come on 'e Scorries!

essexhibee
04-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Dunno why he ever turned down Dumbarton with Ian murray!? Seemed like a great opportunity to restart his career.

Scouse Hibee
04-05-2013, 05:56 PM
if true, what a laugh! the player is truly long finished. couldn't even warm st johnstone bench. Hahaha smelly, rotten
huns

:applause: Made me smile thanks. Now read the thread. :greengrin

cad
04-05-2013, 06:15 PM
He'll have a job getting into mischief up there.

True but he is only 40 miles from downtown Alness ,the Beirut of the Highlands

silverhibee
04-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Just heard he's signed on for next season...

Brora Rangers that is

Not true.

Scouse Hibee
04-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Not true.

So it's a longer contract then? :wink: :greengrin

silverhibee
04-05-2013, 07:07 PM
So it's a longer contract then? :wink: :greengrin

And a caravan. :greengrin

Jonnyboy
04-05-2013, 07:11 PM

Pishy slaverings

Scouse Hibee
04-05-2013, 07:20 PM
And a caravan. :greengrin

Is it the same one that Kuqi has been towing around the pitch with him :greengrin

Big Sexy Dave
04-05-2013, 08:32 PM
He and Andy Mclearn should be going round schools trying to stop kids from making the same mistakes as them.

marinello59
04-05-2013, 08:38 PM
He and Andy Mclearn should be going round schools trying to stop kids from making the same mistakes as them.

Garbage. Different situations. Why the rush to invent crap about Deeks. One of the best finishers seen at ER, let's just keep it at that.

shagpile
04-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Garbage. Different situations. Why the rush to invent crap about Deeks. One of the best finishers seen at ER, let's just keep it at that.

True. And he could do worse than Brora rangers. Elgin City for instance.:wink:

marinello59
04-05-2013, 08:53 PM
True. And he could do worse than Brora rangers. Elgin City for instance.:wink:

Or Peterheid.

silverhibee
04-05-2013, 08:57 PM

Behave. :aok:

Hibernia Na Eir
04-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Brora? surely they are too good for a numpty like Riordim??

Jonnyboy
04-05-2013, 09:08 PM

Aye right. Stay off the sauce ya wind up merchant

silverhibee
04-05-2013, 09:08 PM

wit

:faf:

marinello59
04-05-2013, 09:24 PM

Theory One. Somebody has nicked your log in.
Theory Two. You are really really really pished.
Theory Three. You are a total ****.

My money is on One . If its Two hope the head is OK in the morning. :greengrin

hfc rd
04-05-2013, 09:53 PM
I'm pretty shocked! One of the best finishers not only at Hibs but the SPL, plying his trade for Brora Rangers! Who would have thought 6-7 years ago that Deek would be playing in the highland league? I thought he was destined for the EPL/Championship when he was banging the goals in left, right and centre as a youngster. 10 yards or 35 yards, you knew where that ball was heading once it left his foot. Just shows that you can have all the talent in the world but if you don't have the right professional attitude, your bound to fall down the ladder and regret what could have been.

silverhibee
04-05-2013, 09:59 PM
I'm pretty shocked! One of the best finishers not only at Hibs but the SPL, plying his trade for Brora Rangers! Who would have thought 6-7 years ago that Deek would be playing in the highland league? I thought he was destined for the EPL/Championship when he was banging the goals in left, right and centre as a youngster. 10 yards or 35 yards, you knew where that ball was heading once it left his foot. Just shows that you can have all the talent in the world but if you don't have the right professional attitude, your bound to fall down the ladder and regret what could have been.

:confused:

Jonnyboy
04-05-2013, 10:15 PM

When did he sign for Brora?

hfc rd
04-05-2013, 10:19 PM
When did he sign for Brora?

Is that not who he is signing for or have I missed something?

Jonnyboy
04-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Is that not who he is signing for or have I missed something?

No it's a rumour started by the OP after reading something in a newspaper that suggested Brora were chasing Deeks. It's like reading in the EEN that Hibs are after Ronaldo :greengrin

beensaidbefore
04-05-2013, 10:49 PM
regardless whether he signs for brora or not, it is a sin that someone with his talent isnt playing at a high level as others have commented. But lets be honest its not really a surprise, he seemed more bothered about being the big man off the pitch, strolling round being mr arrogant. If he displayed even half the attitude i have witnessed, i cannot see many people warming to him whether its here or the highlands. would love to see him get it back together though...if he was offerd dumbarton, imo he's missed an opportunity to get his feet back under the table.

LeighLoyal
04-05-2013, 11:07 PM
We're going to need two strikers in the summer. Deek and GOC homecoming :greengrin

KanyeWestLower
05-05-2013, 12:45 AM
No it's a rumour started by the OP after reading something in a newspaper that suggested Brora were chasing Deeks. It's like reading in the EEN that Hibs are after Ronaldo :greengrin

Wasn't a newspaper, direct from Brora.

frazeHFC
05-05-2013, 02:01 AM
Silver tell him to scrap any deal of Brora and come join Nairn County, he could get us a complimentary spot on the hill behind the goal. :greengrin

JohnStephens91
05-05-2013, 02:03 AM
Derek came into the bar I work in a fair few months ago, he was with a group of friends, if I am being honest he was perfectly well behaved. He was telling his friends to calm down and be respectful as they were being a bit rowdy and he himself didn't do a thing wrong. We read about all of this bad behaviour, but some people do stupid things when they have had a few drinks, and Derek is human after all - well he was a demigod whenever he scored against the Yams.

I think a lot of people are too quick to get on his back and kick him when he is down, Hibs fans are included in this, it has gone through the wringer about him wasting his talent and various other topics but it all comes back to the negative stories used. Derek, in my opinion, was used as the poster boy of bad behaviour by unite. I can say that through almost 4 years working in bars that never once have unite done a thing, they are a faceless organisation and they have a motive but no action. All they do is make an example of footballers or Edinburgh celebrities.

Victor Palsson having a piss inside a nightclub? Nope - he was outside the nightclub and not on their premises and the bouncer took his details. He could have legged it and been off scot free, but he waited like a normal person would do and was collared by this unite group and lambasted. Yes public urination is not smart, but how many people have been led to believe he actually did it inside the club? Lots I would imagine.

Unite and the local press are good at making a big song and dance and exaggerating incidents to do with footballers and misconstruing the truth and from my first hand experience with Derek I would argue that this has happened here. I have heard multiple accounts from people that he is not a bad guy and this linked in with what I have seen is what I believe. Yes he may have made mistakes, I have made a big mistake once, so too have most of the people reading this. Get off the high horse and get in tune with the way in which the local press report these incidents involving footballers and how they are dealt with.

Also irrespective of where he ends up, I personally wish Derek all the very best, he is by far and away one of the better players I have seen play for Hibs and he has given me a lot of memories.

Jones28
05-05-2013, 02:42 AM
He's not a bad guy, he is a Hibs legend and I think it's sad that so many people are taking the piss. Yes he could have helped himself a wee bit more but the way he is being slated after the goals he scored for us is too much now.

Barman Stanton
05-05-2013, 03:19 AM
Derek came into the bar I work in a fair few months ago, he was with a group of friends, if I am being honest he was perfectly well behaved. He was telling his friends to calm down and be respectful as they were being a bit rowdy and he himself didn't do a thing wrong. We read about all of this bad behaviour, but some people do stupid things when they have had a few drinks, and Derek is human after all - well he was a demigod whenever he scored against the Yams.

I think a lot of people are too quick to get on his back and kick him when he is down, Hibs fans are included in this, it has gone through the wringer about him wasting his talent and various other topics but it all comes back to the negative stories used. Derek, in my opinion, was used as the poster boy of bad behaviour by unite. I can say that through almost 4 years working in bars that never once have unite done a thing, they are a faceless organisation and they have a motive but no action. All they do is make an example of footballers or Edinburgh celebrities.

Victor Palsson having a piss inside a nightclub? Nope - he was outside the nightclub and not on their premises and the bouncer took his details. He could have legged it and been off scot free, but he waited like a normal person would do and was collared by this unite group and lambasted. Yes public urination is not smart, but how many people have been led to believe he actually did it inside the club? Lots I would imagine.

Unite and the local press are good at making a big song and dance and exaggerating incidents to do with footballers and misconstruing the truth and from my first hand experience with Derek I would argue that this has happened here. I have heard multiple accounts from people that he is not a bad guy and this linked in with what I have seen is what I believe. Yes he may have made mistakes, I have made a big mistake once, so too have most of the people reading this. Get off the high horse and get in tune with the way in which the local press report these incidents involving footballers and how they are dealt with.

Also irrespective of where he ends up, I personally wish Derek all the very best, he is by far and away one of the better players I have seen play for Hibs and he has given me a lot of memories.

Yes, I'm involved in clubs in Edinburgh and I couldn't agree more.

Have seen Deeks loads in clubs and usually, its his hangers on that are an issue not him. He comes across as a quiet Lad actually.

I hope he ends up at a far higher level than is suggested on this thread. A living Hibs legend.

Booked4Being-Ugly
05-05-2013, 06:03 AM

Have seen Deeks loads in clubs and usually, its his hangers on that are an issue not him. He comes across as a quiet Lad actually.

I hope he ends up at a far higher level than is suggested on this thread. A living Hibs legend.:top marksBoth post are too sensible for this place.

shagpile
05-05-2013, 08:02 AM
Or Peterheid.

Nah. Doubt if Riordan could stand the 3rd division, never mind the 2nd........:greengrin

nairn hibee
05-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Silver tell him to scrap any deal of Brora and come join Nairn County, he could get us a complimentary spot on the hill behind the goal. :greengrin

could be a replacement for conor gethins who brora have offered
a £15000 signing on fee, to join the nairn players they poached last season.not that i'm bitter:fuming:

Big Sexy Dave
05-05-2013, 09:27 AM

So Riordan gave 100% in his profession? I love Deeks and I'm not saying he took drugs like McLaren but for a team in the SPL not to take a chance on him(remember he was on trial at Ross County and Kilmarnock this season.) shows the manger and the club don't want the bad press. I'd also advice Scott Harrison to do the same if he can stay out of jail. Scotland's plighted by the binge drinking and drug taking culture. My best mate set a new British sprinting record for a 13 year old. He's now 25, hooked on heroin and in and out of jail constantly.

Forza Fred
05-05-2013, 09:54 AM

I hope he ends up at a far higher level than is suggested on this thread. A living Hibs legend.

I'm not involved in anything to do with pubs/clubs in Edinburgh, (well I'll be pissed in a few from next Thursday!) but HAVE met Deeks - in his house as a matter of fact, a few years ago, and he came across as nothing less than a respectful, polite young man, who willingly gave his time to meet a visitor from Australia.

He's obviously no angel, nor candidate for the diplomatic service, but neither am I come to that - and I can't help but think that a fair bit of hyperbole is used when it comes to his alleged behaviour at times.

As I said, I met Deeks and formed my opinion on a face to face basis, not on second hand stories.

blackpoolhibs
05-05-2013, 11:19 AM
So Riordan gave 100% in his profession? I love Deeks and I'm not saying he took drugs like McLaren but for a team in the SPL not to take a chance on him(remember he was on trial at Ross County and Kilmarnock this season.) shows the manger and the club don't want the bad press. I'd also advice Scott Harrison to do the same if he can stay out of jail. Scotland's plighted by the binge drinking and drug taking culture. My best mate set a new British sprinting record for a 13 year old. He's now 25, hooked on heroin and in and out of jail constantly.

Riordan was never a run all over the place give 100% type british bulldog, he was a skilful predator with a very good eye for a pass and a goal.

It takes all types to make a team, we were screaming for him to do more work, and turn himself into a John Rankin, when a team on Rankins give you just that. A team with little ability, creativity but plenty of work rate.

If Riordan had that work rate and the ability he undoubtedly had, he'd have played for Man United. He never had that, he always laboured with stamina, and was a miserable git at times, but he was a bloody star for us.

He cost us nowt, he gave so much back in goals and assists, but that does not seem to be enough for some. He is now a hate figure for some, who cant wait to stick the boot into one of the best players we have produced in years. :confused:

I remember a quality player, who more than paid his way at Hibs. The abuse he gets on here sometimes makes me wonder if there's not more yam infiltrators than we think. :rolleyes:

Onceinawhile
05-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Riordan was never a run all over the place give 100% type british bulldog, he was a skilful predator with a very good eye for a pass and a goal.

It takes all types to make a team, we were screaming for him to do more work, and turn himself into a John Rankin, when a team on Rankins give you just that. A team with little ability, creativity but plenty of work rate.

If Riordan had that work rate and the ability he undoubtedly had, he'd have played for Man United. He never had that, he always laboured with stamina, and was a miserable git at times, but he was a bloody star for us.

He cost us nowt, he gave so much back in goals and assists, but that does not seem to be enough for some. He is now a hate figure for some, who cant wait to stick the boot into one of the best players we have produced in years. :confused:

I remember a quality player, who more than paid his way at Hibs. The abuse he gets on here sometimes makes me wonder if there's not more yam infiltrators than we think. :rolleyes:

I agree with the above, but he didn't cost us nothing. We had to pay Celtic to sign him I'm sure.

Big Sexy Dave
05-05-2013, 11:57 AM

Where did I say I hated him?

SMAXXA
05-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Really sad how things have worked out for him, I will always feel he didn't fulfil the promise in a lot of respects, both as a Hibs fan and from a Scotland perspective. There's very few Scottish players with the talent he had, how he didn't go on and become one of our greatest produces in the last few decades is a real shame. Obviously this is down to him as a person, just shows you can have all the talent in the world but if you don't have the desire to focus your life 100% on being a professional footballer and maximise your opportunity then, there will always be guys like him. Young players should take note IMO.

blackpoolhibs
05-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Where did I say I hated him?

I never said you did? :confused:

frazeHFC
05-05-2013, 12:30 PM
could be a replacement for conor gethins who brora have offered
a £15000 signing on fee, to join the nairn players they poached last season.not that i'm bitter:fuming:

:eek: That's ridiculous money for that league, but can't say i wouldn't take up the offer too if i was the player!

When is their next home game will head up to the ground and watch it. :thumbsup:

Btw you don't happen to live in the fishertown do you? Saw a car with a Hibs sticker in the street next to mine. :na na:

nairn hibee
05-05-2013, 01:19 PM
:eek: That's ridiculous money for that league, but can't say i wouldn't take up the offer too if i was the player!

When is their next home game will head up to the ground and watch it. :thumbsup:

Btw you don't happen to live in the fishertown do you? Saw a car with a Hibs sticker in the street next to mine. :na na:

last home game was yesterday,three away games left,prob will have to win two of them,to get 3rd place and into the ramsdens cup ,don't live in fishertown live in broadhill,

Glory Lurker
05-05-2013, 01:31 PM
last home game was yesterday,three away games left,prob will have to win two of them,to get 3rd place and into the ramsdens cup ,don't live in fishertown live in broadhill,

But considering that the one you will lose is to Wick on Wednesday then it's pretty much curtains for that, is it not?:cb:greengrin

Back o/t if Deek does go to Brora it will hopefully bring a bit more attention to the Highland League.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-05-2013, 02:43 PM
The bitterness some folk on here show towards a guy who will go down as a Hibs legend is certainly a bit OTT.

Squealing pig
05-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Hope he signs for Bo'ness ill be in fisons with him.

nairn hibee
06-05-2013, 10:44 AM
But considering that the one you will lose is to Wick on Wednesday then it's pretty much curtains for that, is it not?:cb:greengrin

Back o/t if Deek does go to Brora it will hopefully bring a bit more attention to the Highland League.

probably but i'll wait and see

Holmesdale Hibs
06-05-2013, 10:49 AM
There's something not right about a Hibs legend wearing a Huns top. Hope this isn't true.

Captain Trips
06-05-2013, 10:56 AM
At 30 IMO there is still a player in there somewhere I think the right team or manager coukd find it again. Who that is though I do not know.

NAE NOOKIE
06-05-2013, 11:02 AM
A great finisher who never reached the hights he should have. Why for instance he chose to go to China when he had offers from the USA is a mystery.

With his natural talent he should be a millionaire by now ... perhaps he is .... but I cant help thinking he will look back when its all over and wish he had done some things differently.

Good luck to him anyway.

macca70
06-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Ruined his career by moving to Celtic to barely make the bench and mostly sit in the stand.

Take note Leigh Griffiths, stay at Hibs. Might be less cash in the short term but will work out for the best long term.