PDA

View Full Version : Griffiths: "I could stay at Hibs next season"

R'Albin
03-05-2013, 05:08 PM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/hibernian/224007-leigh-griffiths-could-stay-at-hibs/

Hibernian goal machine Leigh Griffiths has revealed he could still be playing at Easter Road next season.
The on-loan Wolverhampton Wanderers hitman is a contender for Player of the Year after bagging 27 goals this term at Hibs.
Wolves boss Dean Saunders revealed last month that Griffiths' Molineux contract was being extended for a further year, and said he wanted to make the Scotland cap a first team player at the club.
That led to assumptions that Griffiths would be playing his last game for his boyhood club in the Scottish Cup final on May 26.
But in an interview with STV, the 22-year-old said that a return to Wolves is not a foregone conclusion.
He said: "There is [a chance I could stay at Hibs]. It's wide open just now.
"I think Hibs and Wolves are speaking but as of now the Scottish Cup final is my last game.
"Everybody knows how much I love the club and there will be none more happy than me if I'm told I'm staying."

I still reckon he's not gonna be here next season, but take this for what its worth.

hibbypostie
03-05-2013, 05:09 PM
STV News saying big news for Hibs fans re Sparky coming up

West hamBERNIAN
03-05-2013, 05:39 PM
would be amazed if he was here next season, i've supported hibs a long time and the talent always leaves at this point. amazed but absolutely delighted.:flag:

erin-go-bragh87
03-05-2013, 05:49 PM
http://m.stv.tv/sport/224007-leigh-griffiths-could-stay-at-hibs/

Video of interview in link.

LancashireHibby
03-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Not completely related to the thread, but I've spoken to Gary Teale a couple of times this week through work and he couldn't speak highly enough of Sparky's abilities, and reckoned it's only a matter of time before an EPL club takes a serious interest in him.

AgentDaleCooper
03-05-2013, 06:21 PM
i literally love him. he truly is one of our own. if i was a burd, i'd let him have his next twenty kids with me.

Sir David Gray
03-05-2013, 06:33 PM
I cannot express how much I would love him to stay and I would be absolutely delighted if we could agree terms with him over a permanent deal. :pray:

Not getting my hopes up though as similar things have happened with other players in the past and they've ended up leaving. There's a lot of clubs out there who could offer him a lot more money than we could.

Come on Sparky, you know it makes sense! :aok:

Dinkydoo
03-05-2013, 06:35 PM
"Family man, hard working, just want to do the best I can.".

Has Leigh Griffiths screwed the heed? Over the past 12 months he certainly has; really happy for him.

Westie1875
03-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Get it done Petrie, thank you!!

Dinkydoo
*cough* *splutter*

I mean, he's found his level, never a league 1 or championship player - or something like that.....

Scònaldò
i literally love him. he truly is one of our own. if i was a burd, i'd let him have his next twenty kids with me.

Too far :greengrin

God Petrie
03-05-2013, 06:38 PM
I'm a bloke and I'd let him have his next 20 kids with me (not gay). xx

Stringer
03-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Not completely related to the thread, but I've spoken to Gary Teale a couple of times this week through work and he couldn't speak highly enough of Sparky's abilities, and reckoned it's only a matter of time before an EPL club takes a serious interest in him.

Think Gary should keep aff the cooking sherry

WestStandhibee
03-05-2013, 06:41 PM
i'm remaining optimistic about Sparky being be here next season, just get the feeling he only wants to play for us :greengrin

green glory
03-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Why would any English club want him. A liability and more hassle than he's worth.

Ahem.

Cameron1875
03-05-2013, 06:50 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/22408009#asset

BBC interview with Leigh for anyone who is interested.

TomoHFC
03-05-2013, 06:53 PM
I think he should just stay. No point going to Oldham, Walsaw and Colchester

West hamBERNIAN
03-05-2013, 06:53 PM
think gary should keep aff the cooking sherry

i know a fair few west ham fans that would happily take him over ricardo. Might not seem like a big thing but he's a regular in the epl.

Sir David Gray
03-05-2013, 06:56 PM

Comes across really well.

Sir David Gray
03-05-2013, 06:56 PM
I think he should just stay. No point going to Oldham, Walsaw and Colchester

Is that half way between Walsall and Poland? :greengrin

Stringer
03-05-2013, 07:09 PM
i know a fair few west ham fans that would happily take him over ricardo. Might not seem like a big thing but he's a regular in the epl.

Vaz Te isn't a striker though, he plays RW. There is a lot of competition at CF, plus Leigh has never played consistently well with a striking partner. He plays better with wingers coming into support him.

IMO he would struggle to start in the EPL. Hope he stays.

Elephant Stone
03-05-2013, 07:11 PM
:pray:

jdships
03-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Met up with , at the weekend , two ex hibs players from the 1980's and both agreed there are three possible scenarios
1. Saunders getting the sack when/if Wolves are relegated and the new boss might see things differently.
2. It is not unknown for a player to ' buy out ' his one year option using the signing on fee from his new club .
3 . Does LG have a clause in his contract that he stipulates he doesn't want to play at L1 level ?

All supposition I know but interesting all the same especially coming from to ex Pro's

:greengrin

LioNeilMessi
03-05-2013, 07:23 PM

It's quite odd that he hasn't spoken to Sanders since January. I would of thought the first person Saunders tells that Griffiths is doing well and is having his contract extended would be Leigh rather than the papers.. Would seem a good move to keep one of your players happy? :confused:

hibsbollah
03-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Why would any English club want him. A liability and more hassle than he's worth.

Ahem.

Hes ******. Overrated. Any fans of div1 or championship sides looking in should be aware that he'd be a terrible buy :agree:

MyJo
03-05-2013, 08:06 PM
It's quite odd that he hasn't spoken to Sanders since January. I would of thought the first person Saunders tells that Griffiths is doing well and is having his contract extended would be Leigh rather than the papers.. Would seem a good move to keep one of your players happy? :confused:

It'll be a tactic to try and get Hibs or anyone else interested to shell out a fee for him because of the 1 year option rather than just not taking it up and allowing him to go for free which is what would have happened had he not had such a successful season with us.

Schoolboy error as that is like a red rag to a bull with oor Rod...:greengrin

1875HFC
03-05-2013, 08:11 PM
This boy could go down as a legend at this club depending on the outcome of 26th May and his performance. After the season he has had, what an opportunity he has!

Need to do all we can to keep him its a no brainer

Stringer
03-05-2013, 08:18 PM
This boy could go down as a legend at this club depending on the outcome of 26th May and his performance. After the season he has had, what an opportunity he has!

The Leigh Griffiths Stand :big grin:

MyJo
03-05-2013, 08:28 PM

That'll be needed just for his bairns :greengrin

Sir David Gray
03-05-2013, 08:29 PM

I was thinking we could do what Manchester Utd have done for Sir Matt Busby and name a nearby road after the person who scores the winning goal.

St Clair Street could be renamed Leigh Griffiths Way. :greengrin

neilmartinrocks
03-05-2013, 08:33 PM
All depends on wuild he rather be rich......
or a ****ing GOD!!:greengrin

1875HFC
03-05-2013, 08:52 PM
I was thinking we could do what Manchester Utd have done for Sir Matt Busby and name a nearby road after the person who scores the winning goal.

or 'Griffiths Wynd' has a good ring to it

West hamBERNIAN
03-05-2013, 09:15 PM
or 'Griffiths Wynd' has a good ring to it

SURELY IN THIS INSTANCE IT WOULD HAVE TO BE ST. GRIFFITHS STREET:agree:

Mr White
03-05-2013, 09:19 PM
If sparky scores the winner leith should be renamed leighth.

West hamBERNIAN
03-05-2013, 09:34 PM
If sparky scores the winner leith should be renamed leighth.

:greengrin INDEED

Chibs
03-05-2013, 09:42 PM

Correct.

IWasThere2016
03-05-2013, 09:56 PM
He'll be at ER next season IMHO.

Seveno
03-05-2013, 09:57 PM

Why just a street. We should rename Leith to Leighth.

LancashireHibby
03-05-2013, 10:00 PM

Should I expect an influx of Hibs fans moving to my home town?!

West hamBERNIAN
03-05-2013, 10:00 PM

STEALING JOKES IS JUST PLAIN WRONG, ESPECIALLY WHEN ITS 3 POSTS ABOVE. HANG YOUR HEAD IN SHAME IMMEDIATELY.:greengrin

Sir David Gray
03-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Should I expect an influx of Hibs fans moving to my home town?!

You don't happen to know of a Griffiths Street in Leigh, by any chance? :confused:

:wink:

Seveno
03-05-2013, 10:14 PM
STEALING JOKES IS JUST PLAIN WRONG, ESPECIALLY WHEN ITS 3 POSTS ABOVE. HANG YOUR HEAD IN SHAME IMMEDIATELY.:greengrin

Oops !

crieffhibee
04-05-2013, 07:19 AM
If rod was to strike up a deal it would finally show some real desiere to take this club onward and upward

Holmesdale Hibs
04-05-2013, 08:12 AM

Good interview, cheers for posting. Saying all the right things and comes across well.

Good to hear Hibs are working in keeping him and we should so everything possible to make it happen. If we did sign him then I could see him leaving after a season for a decent transfer few.

If he keeps improving at the same rate I think he'll be good enough for the EPL. He's probably close at the moment.

Heisenberg
06-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Looks like Leigh will be finding out about his future this week, lifted from the Scotsman;

Leigh Griffiths will meet with Wolves manager Dean Saunders next Thursday to see where his future lies.

The Hibernian striker, on loan from the midlands club, has scored 27 goals this season to win the PFA Scotland Young Player of the Year award, while his parent club suffered a second straight relegation, sealed with a 2-0 final-day defeat at Brighton on Saturday.

Griffiths was nominated for the Player of the Year award but that was won by Motherwell’s Michael Higdon while Queen of the South boss Allan Johnston was named Manager of the Year.

Saunders claimed he has already started planning for next season and will make “make drastic changes” to his squad, and Griffiths will soon discover if that involves him returning from Easter Road.

Plans

The 22-year-old said: “I go to speak to the Wolves manager next Thursday and see what his plans are for next season.

“I don’t know what those talks hold but I know I will go down there and return in high spirits.

“The manager will want to bring in his own players and if I am part of his plans then great but if not then obviously I will need to see what happens.

“I will come back up here and I will have some important games to play for Hibs.”

The boyhood Hibees fan is looking to reach the 30-mark and finish off the season with a William Hill Scottish Cup final win over Celtic at Hampden later in the month.

“I am absolutely delighted,” he added. “It has capped off a dream season for me.

“I was very nervous listening to the nominations and when my name got called out my stomach kind of fell out of me but I am delighted to get the award.

“I was handed the number nine shirt, something I had been dreaming about since I was a little boy and I have scored 27 goals and now I want to get 30 and try to win the Scottish Cup.

“It is going to be a hard game. Celtic aren’t the champions for no reason, they don’t go and beat the world’s best team (Barcelona) if you are not a good team yourself but we are capable of beating them.

“We have proved that this season already and hopefully we can do that on the day.”

Hibby_G
06-05-2013, 09:35 AM
I hope the machine /Griffiths/ stays at the hibees so does any one know
if he will:giruy::giruy:

Greendub
06-05-2013, 09:39 AM
Unknown but he has a meeting with Dean Saunders on Thursday

06-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Would be absolutely delighted if Leigh stayed on at hibs but unfortunatly can't see it happening TBH. He has had an amazing season, not just the amount of goals hes scored but the sheer quality of them aswell, many of his goals a top Premiership striker would be proud of!

jdships
06-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Unknown but he has a meeting with Dean Saunders on Thursday

Heard yet again , at lunch time , from an ex Hibs player ( four different lads ) that a move is afoot to buy out LG's one year option
contract .
This has been done before with the player using the signing on fee from his new club to fund it .
Other issues were mentioned which could keep him in Edinburgh but this is neither the time nor the place to discuss LG's private life

:flag:

Jamie
06-05-2013, 07:02 PM

be all accounts he's getting there anyway :greengrin #5 on way :rolleyes:

ekhibee
06-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Much as I want him to stay, and I think he has the potential to be one of the very best Hibs players ever, I'm struggling to see how Hibs could afford him. The deficiencies in the team do need to be addressed, and that will very probably cost money, so with the money that's left, just how much could we afford to spend on Griffiths? Hope I'm totally wrong but I just can't see how he can stay, other than he's a Hibs fan.

Pedantic_Hibee
06-05-2013, 07:42 PM

He needs to change his approach. Greek folk ken whit's gaun oan.

Pretty Boy
06-05-2013, 07:46 PM

Really?

Someone really wants to buy him a few packs of johnnies.

3pm
06-05-2013, 08:06 PM
So he's actually scored 28 this season if you include the burd?

Onion
06-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Much as I want him to stay, and I think he has the potential to be one of the very best Hibs players ever, I'm struggling to see how Hibs could afford him. The deficiencies in the team do need to be addressed, and that will very probably cost money, so with the money that's left, just how much could we afford to spend on Griffiths? Hope I'm totally wrong but I just can't see how he can stay, other than he's a Hibs fan.

:agree: this. LG is a special player playing in a very average team and I would not begrudge him his big money move. Fenlon and Hibs have been amazingly fortunate to have had Leigh this season - god knows where we'd have ended up without him - and it would be a major coup to keep him for another season. But if he bags us the winner on the 26th, I'd happily see him leave Hibs a Legend and earn a fortune elsewhere.

The Harp
06-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Heard yet again , at lunch time , from an ex Hibs player ( four different lads ) that a move is afoot to buy out LG's one year option
contract .
This has been done before with the player using the signing on fee from his new club to fund it .
Other issues were mentioned which could keep him in Edinburgh but this is neither the time nor the place to discuss LG's private life

:flag:

Please, let this be true.:pray:

cabbageandribs1875
07-05-2013, 12:27 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4917468/Sparky-is-out-to-stay.html

LEIGH GRIFFITHS will meet Dean Saunders this week in the hope he can come back to Hibs.But the striker — who was voted PFA Young Player of the Year — insists he still wants another shot at making it in England.

Vini1875
07-05-2013, 12:44 AM
His future must lie in England, but surely not with wolves. It seems to me that another solid season at Hibs might tempt someone to make a bid for him. Hibs surely can sort something out that would have him at Hibs for at least a year and earn the club and Leigh money when he gets a move. The wolves move was too early for him and he clearly had some growing up to do, PF seems to have helped him with this at least a bit, another year and he could have some career.

Jones28
07-05-2013, 12:47 AM
So we buy out his deal with wolves, get him on a 5 year deal and after 3 years he gets his move to the premiership for a record transfer fee. C'mon rod, work your magic!

Broken Gnome
07-05-2013, 06:44 AM
Any player signing for a then-Premiership team and putting in a clause for a release in the event of relegation to League One would be told to do one I'd imagine...

YehButNoBut
07-05-2013, 08:37 AM
Dean Saunders just been sacked by Wolves, not sure if this is a good or bad thing for Sparky remaining at Hibs, but hopefully good news for us.

Deek01
07-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Guessing Sparkys meeting with him on Thursday will have been cancelled then:thumbsup:

Heisenberg
07-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Guessing Sparkys meeting with him on Thursday will have been cancelled then:thumbsup:

Hopefully he still goes down, tells the chairman he's wanting a bit of security and as such will be paying out of the year extension that's on his contract (with help from Hibs clearly) so he can sign on with a team that loves him.

He can then deliver a few of these:giruy: in the direction of Matt Doherty before he heads back up the road.