PDA

View Full Version : Hampden Park Memories

Carheenlea
02-05-2013, 08:15 PM

This was what Hampden Park looked like when I first visited with my Dad for a Scotland international against Sweden in 1981. While the stadium has changed since then, it`s still Hampden, the venue for so many memorable occasions for both Hibs and Scotland. It`s a poor relation now quality wise to other national stadiums, but the history is still there and there is something special walking into Hampden and thinking of those great nights, many before my time, but I always try and imagine what it must have been like for those who saw The Tornadoes win the League Cup and Drybrough Cups, and the great International nights in Hampden. We have all suffered pain and heartbreak there of course, but hopefully the most memorable of all occasions is about to come..

Baldy Foghorn
02-05-2013, 08:24 PM

This was what Hampden Park looked like when I first visited with my Dad for a Scotland international against Sweden in 1981. While the stadium has changed since then, it`s still Hampden, the venue for so many memorable occasions for both Hibs and Scotland. It`s a poor relation now quality wise to other national stadiums, but the history is still there and there is something special walking into Hampden and thinking of those great nights, many before my time, but I always try and imagine what it must have been like for those who saw The Tornadoes win the League Cup and Drybrough Cups, and the great International nights in Hampden. We have all suffered pain and heartbreak there of course, but hopefully the most memorable of all occasions is about to come..

Seen us win two trophies there, I have been there many times for football and concerts. 3 months in a row, with Semi, Final and a gig in June, I get bored going to Hampdem all the time:greengrin

Billy Whizz
02-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Seen us win two trophies there, I have been there many times for football and concerts. 3 months in a row, with Semi, Final and a gig in June, I get bored going to Hampdem all the time:greengrin

Are you going to see Bruceeeeeee

Baldy Foghorn
02-05-2013, 08:28 PM

Yip, the Boss still has class......

Hermit Crab
02-05-2013, 08:31 PM

Nah I bet he's going to Robbie Williams there though :D

Billy Whizz
02-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Yip, the Boss still has class......

Not supposed to be on this thread but was in the 5th row at the Playhouse in 1981, for "The River Tour" I had a broken leg as well. Can still remember him coming onto "The Ties that Bind"

Been at Hampden many times for Hibs and Scotland games, apart from Hibs, a special night was when we beat Spain 3-1, when Dalglish was at his peak

Baldy Foghorn
02-05-2013, 08:35 PM

1D actually.......:greengrin Mind you I bet there are hunners o' burds at Robbie:cb

Billy Whizz
02-05-2013, 08:36 PM

You know him too........

Halmyre Hibee
02-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Played there May 1978 in the Scottish Secondary School cup final for Liberton (lost 0-2). Now 35 years later could the Hibs make my dream come true? Best other memory is Drybrough & League Cup Wins.

eastterrace
02-05-2013, 08:40 PM

ive had more miserable days through there than happy ones. seen us win league cup three times but scottish cup finals and loads o semi finals when ive had to troop home from that dump o a stadium

Jonnyboy
02-05-2013, 08:41 PM

Three if you count the U19's Scottish Cup?

If I include that one my total is six where cups were held high by Hibee captains :thumbsup:

Baldy Foghorn
02-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Not supposed to be on this thread but was in the 5th row at the Playhouse in 1981, for "The River Tour" I had a broken leg as well. Can still remember him coming onto "The Ties that Bind"

Been at Hampden many times for Hibs and Scotland games, apart from Hibs, a special night was when we beat Spain 3-1, when Dalglish was at his peak

He did nearly 3 hours at Hampden a few years back, what a performer.....Nearly touched Bono I was so close to him, when I saw U2.....

Don't really like Hampden, however a favourable result in May, and I might change my mind.....

Hibernia Na Eir
02-05-2013, 08:50 PM
f***** hate the absolute dump.

Billy Whizz
02-05-2013, 08:51 PM

I think it's our record there........

eastterrace
02-05-2013, 08:59 PM

agree always been dump, its a wee bit cleaner dump from when the terracing was mud, mind alan gordon scoring in cup final and you couldnae see for the dust,so we get a 60million pound upgrade and wales get big fancy stadium and dont get me started about wembley, nae wonder they have a hold over us down in westminster london.

Billy Whizz
02-05-2013, 09:01 PM
It will be interesting to see what improvements they have moved to the North Stand catering/toilets, because this area of the ground is like a 3rd world stadium

sbell1875
02-05-2013, 09:01 PM
League Cup Semi-Final versus Rangers in 2004...during the penalty shoot out some random boy grabs me and screams in my ear "Colin Murdoch is going to be our hero tonight" and he rocks up slots the penalty away and we all go absolutely mental!

The Semi-Final this year was pretty special as well. Never has a game summed up the emotions of supporting Hibs so well!

wazoo1875
02-05-2013, 09:02 PM

That is an absolutely brilliant picture. Hampden back in the day was an awe inspiring place. My first visit was in '84 with my dad for a game against Iceland. I remember walking up the steps to what is now the corner of the east and north stands nervously, not knowing what to expect and the sight at the top of the stairs almost taking my breath away. We won 3-0 in that game and I've had many mixed visits to the national stadium since then. Many emotions have been spilled in there and I've shed more than one tear !!
I'll be back again on the 26th hoping for my greatest ever day there.

eastterrace
02-05-2013, 09:05 PM
That is an absolutely brilliant picture. Hampden back in the day was an awe inspiring place. My first visit was in '84 with my dad for a game against Iceland. I remember walking up the steps to what is now the corner of the east and north stands nervously, not knowing what to expect and the sight at the top of the stairs almost taking my breath away. We won 3-0 in that game and I've had many mixed visits to the national stadium since then. Many emotions have been spilled in there and I've shed more than one tear !!

you must be easy pleased with some stadiums, i remember going there on a wednesday night about 1985 we played wales and got beat 1-0 and the car i was in broke down, hampden yea can stick it were the sun dont shine.

Hibernia Na Eir
02-05-2013, 09:08 PM
nah, we were always told as youngsters about how great hampden was, "the hampden roar" etc etc. sorry, but it totally lacks everthing a great stadium should be. I was at an Sco v Eng game at the old place and my thoughts back then were not good! the surrounding area, the policing, stewarding, atmosphere, everthing. It's awful.
The new Wembley is the dogs d's however!

wazoo1875
02-05-2013, 09:13 PM
you must be easy pleased with some stadiums, i remember going there on a wednesday night about 1985 we played wales and got beat 1-0 and the car i was in broke down, hampden yea can stick it were the sun dont shine.
I'm not that easily pleased mate, at the time it was my first trip to the national stadium, everywhere was a dump at that time too. I was 10 and there were about 60,000 people in one place. I can tell you I was dumbstruck. Some folk just dinnae appreciate the simple things in life :na na:

Ps. It was a coup and still is :greengrin

.Sean.
02-05-2013, 09:18 PM

Are the East, North and West stands not just the old terracing surfaced in concrete, seated and roofed? AFAIK only the South was totally rebuilt?

JohnStephens91
02-05-2013, 09:33 PM
nah, we were always told as youngsters about how great hampden was, "the hampden roar" etc etc. sorry, but it totally lacks everthing a great stadium should be. I was at an Sco v Eng game at the old place and my thoughts back then were not good! the surrounding area, the policing, stewarding, atmosphere, everthing. It's awful.
The new Wembley is the dogs d's however!

You have to walk about 15 minutes to the nearest area with bars and cafes in it up by Wembley. The tube service there is horrid too. I was at Wembley Arena for a gig and the walk round to it (it is literally right next to the stadium) you realise how far away it is from other services. Most of the time the main tube station to the stadium is closed and you have to get off the one which is where the 15 minutes comes from. I reckon there are a similar number of bars 15 minutes in any direction to Hampden so no idea where the surrounding area aspect comes in from.

I've never experienced harsh stewarding at Hampden either and the atmosphere is usually good as long as the fans create it. Before the 2012 final was cracking. Does Wembley not have a problem of creating an atmosphere due to the large amount of corporate tickets given out for each match? Policing is straightforward - don't act like a tool and you'll be treated accordingly and don't do anything like running onto the pitch or drinking and everything is alright.

In terms of the look of the stadiums, obviously Wembley wins hands down.

YehButNoBut
02-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Some of the crowds that packed into Hampden in the 60's & 70's were amazing and had some great times there with Hibs in 1972, 1991 & 2007. Always thought that little stand over the North terracing never looked safe and would not have risked my life sitting there. Most memorable nights with Scotland were against France & Spain when we beat both, can't remember the years but was in the 80's. Also had great memories of the Boss gig 4 years ago and will be there to see him again next month. Have some great memories of the stadium, but it was & still is a nightmare to get to & get parked & a sh*thole round about it.http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/6609/fil2883copie.jpg (http://www.hibs.net/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=pictures+of+hampden+park+glasgow&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=E76kdTtDNNu5UM&tbnid=3xSS2JVSyHMR7M:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.skyscrapercity.com%2Fshowthre ad.php%3Ft%3D839610%26page%3D11&ei=79mCUdyxIYWs0QWaioHQCw&bvm=bv.45960087,d.d2k&psig=AFQjCNGCAPfzB4JAyklLhU0QqOCJKJ7LeQ&ust=1367616216338685)

JohnStephens91
02-05-2013, 09:40 PM
When Sparky netted the winner against Aberdeen in 2012 I was sitting apart from my dad so the random older guy I had never met before was part of my celebrations as we hugged and bounced about. Can't remember doing that before so that was pretty memorable. If you're reading this sorry if it was too boisterous :greengrin

When John O'Neil scored in the opening moments of the 2001 semi, my first trip to Hampden, was also a cracking experience. A lot of good memories have been had, but had loads of bad ones too. Hopefully in 24 days time I will have another good memory to add to the ones already gained.

BroxburnHibee
02-05-2013, 09:49 PM
One of my favourites was actually this game...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OZWRfo0e5o

Went with a bunch of guys from the beastie bus and we stood in the pouring rain (pished obviously :greengrin) and sang our hearts out the whole game. Seem to remember Andy Roxburgh said the support that night was unbelievable.

Great night :thumbsup:

KWJ
03-05-2013, 02:24 AM
My first trip to Hampden was the KEITH KEITH KEITH Rangers Semi with the Budgie save. Was in the family stand relatively near the pitch with my dad surrounded by disgusting huns.

My memories of the final are like in the OP's picture.

:flag:

ChilliEater
03-05-2013, 03:03 AM
I was at this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5KkVQjikHI

soaked to the skin and sick for days afterwards with an evil cold, but worth it :greengrin

lord bunberry
03-05-2013, 03:08 AM
Are the East, North and West stands not just the old terracing surfaced in concrete, seated and roofed? AFAIK only the South was totally rebuilt?

That's correct, they should have demolished the whole thing and built a new stadium

Pete
03-05-2013, 05:27 AM
The Falkirk game has wiped out lots of recent, bad memories.

I love the old bird and wouldn't change her. If you look at pictures of the new ground compared with the old it's amazing. It looks so much bigger in the eighties than it does today but it's one of those optical illusions.

It should stay to serve as a reminder. We're spoilt nowadays :-D

marinello59
03-05-2013, 06:07 AM
It really was a crumbling wreck before they redeveloped it. The dust cloud generated during goal celebrations could make the pitch impossible to see for a while .
Somebody mentioned the old North Stand. I only went in there once. They should have offered you a tetanus injection on the way in. It was truly horrible. Half the light bulbs didn't work but that was possibly to stop you seeing just how bad the place was.

Bristolhibby
03-05-2013, 07:09 AM
It's always a hoor of a journey back into Glasgow if you haven't got a bus to take you back through to Edinburgh.

J

JeMeSouviens
03-05-2013, 07:35 AM
The Falkirk game has wiped out lots of recent, bad memories.

I love the old bird and wouldn't change her. If you look at pictures of the new ground compared with the old it's amazing. It looks so much bigger in the eighties than it does today but it's one of those optical illusions.

It should stay to serve as a reminder. We're spoilt nowadays :-D

It's not totally an optical illusion, they knocked a large chunk of the east end and the north also lost quite a bit of the terrace that ran up under the old stand after it was pulled down.

This is what it was like on my first visit when we played the Hun in 79:

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/6609/fil2883copie.jpg

This is what it was like when we won the Skol cup in 91:

http://www.speedwayplus.com/images/Hampden2.jpg

Hampden kind of sums Scottish football up. Proud history, groundbreaking, even world class in its day. Now a creaking, patched up relic with lovely plush offices for the suits and a terrible view for the punters. :rolleyes:

Phil MaGlass
03-05-2013, 07:42 AM

It certainly was, a PACKED Hampden, the dust rising when a goal was scored, the noise,the atmosphere all brilliant , imagne the noise it would have generated if it had a roof back then. Hampden back then was amazing.

Golden Bear
03-05-2013, 09:05 AM
I was persuaded by a Celtic supporting mate to attend a European Cup semi final tie v Leeds at Hampden Park when the official attendance was recorded as 136,505 but I swear there were far more in the ground than that! So for the size of the attendance alone, it's a Hampden Park memory I'll never forget.

Keith_M
03-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Different eras had different standards on what was thought acceptable.

When Hampden was built, around a hundred years ago, ash terracing, sh*tty facilities and a cr*p view of the pitch were maybe acceptable. However, it was still exactly the same in the early eighties, even though the rest of the world had moved on.

Whoever decided on the current design needs to be shot. A previous poster commented that the South stand is perfect for the suits but that the rest of it is an 'on-the-cheap' botchup. That is exactly the problem and it shows their priorities. It's an embarassment compared to modern National Stadiums in similar sized countries

....and breathe :wink:

hibs4thecup1988
03-05-2013, 10:18 AM
My first trip to hampden was 2001 when we beat livi in the semi final. Great day...

Its weird to think my laddie is 8 and this will be his 4th trip to hampden. Hopefully his record will read 3 wins and 1 defeat rather than 2-2.

hibs4thecup1988
03-05-2013, 10:20 AM
It is rather annoyig it is only a 50k stadium. You would think that with celtic park being 60, and all the previous finals etc they would have opted for a larger capacity. I seriously do think for certain games the place would be filled if it was 80,000.

Just a bug bear of mines.

Baker9
03-05-2013, 11:16 AM
When Sparky netted the winner against Aberdeen in 2012 I was sitting apart from my dad so the random older guy I had never met before was part of my celebrations as we hugged and bounced about. Can't remember doing that before so that was pretty memorable. If you're reading this sorry if it was too boisterous :greengrin

When John O'Neil scored in the opening moments of the 2001 semi, my first trip to Hampden, was also a cracking experience. A lot of good memories have been had, but had loads of bad ones too. Hopefully in 24 days time I will have another good memory to add to the ones already gained.

Re 2012 I could have been that older guy. If you look like a muscle-bound skinhead and were very sweaty, yes you were very boisterous but in that moment I really loved you.

.Sean.
03-05-2013, 12:45 PM
what exactly was an 'ash terracing'? any pictures?

12AlbionPlace
03-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Played there May 1978 in the Scottish Secondary School cup final for Liberton (lost 0-2). Now 35 years later could the Hibs make my dream come true? Best other memory is Drybrough & League Cup Wins.

Halmyre, can you remember the line up for Liberton, I was at Liberton in 1978 (2nd year), see if I can remember any names:greengrin

JeMeSouviens
03-05-2013, 02:07 PM
what exactly was an 'ash terracing'? any pictures?

Instead of being a concrete terrace, it had big lumps of wood like railway sleepers with compacted ash ("blaes" like crap football pitches) between them. Most of it was concreted sometime in the 80s I think, and it was all eventually seated and covered but the N, E and W stands are still the same old terracing underneath. Hence the way too shallow slope for a seated stadium and abysmal miles behind the goal ends.

JimBHibees
03-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Different eras had different standards on what was thought acceptable.

When Hampden was built, around a hundred years ago, ash terracing, sh*tty facilities and a cr*p view of the pitch were maybe acceptable. However, it was still exactly the same in the early eighties, even though the rest of the world had moved on.

Whoever decided on the current design needs to be shot. A previous poster commented that the South stand is perfect for the suits but that the rest of it is an 'on-the-cheap' botchup. That is exactly the problem and it shows their priorities. It's an embarassment compared to modern National Stadiums in similar sized countries

....and breathe :wink:

Completely agree an absolute disgrace of a stadium especially when comparing it to the Millenium stadium, Murrayfield, Aviva and Wembley etc. The terraces are too shallow and the stands behind the goals are miles from the pitch.

.Sean.
03-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Instead of being a concrete terrace, it had big lumps of wood like railway sleepers with compacted ash ("blaes" like crap football pitches) between them. Most of it was concreted sometime in the 80s I think, and it was all eventually seated and covered but the N, E and W stands are still the same old terracing underneath. Hence the way too shallow slope for a seated stadium and abysmal miles behind the goal ends.:aok:

superfurryhibby
03-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Instead of being a concrete terrace, it had big lumps of wood like railway sleepers with compacted ash ("blaes" like crap football pitches) between them. Most of it was concreted sometime in the 80s I think, and it was all eventually seated and covered but the N, E and W stands are still the same old terracing underneath. Hence the way too shallow slope for a seated stadium and abysmal miles behind the goal ends.

Are you thinking of the 1880's? I think Hampden was concreted a long, long time ago.

My first memory was the League Cup final of 1974. I like telling this story so let me indulge myself (ahem). Day of the match my radge step faither said I'm not going. Since he was psycho there was no arguing. I went to the bedroom and skulked for a wee bit then took myself offsky. Got the bus from Leith up to Fountainbridge, having gone to a different bus stop to prvent any possible interception from the bam. Went to my auld Nana's and was picked up by the auld man. Met my Uncle and Grandad at the Austin social club in Polworth and off to the game.

Hampden was awesome to the ten year old me. Rammed with folk and it seemed enormous. If I remember rightly it was 2-1 at half time, with the wee fat man scoring just before the interval. Sadly, Dixie Deans ripped us second half. FInal score 6-3.

I never said a word to any of my family about what awaited me when I got back home. I got a good hiding, although the psycho seemed fairly half hearted about it.

Since then Hampden record has continued in a fairly diabolical vein, it's a played 13, won 4 record for me.

Peevemor
03-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Are you thinking of the 1880's? I think Hampden was concreted a long, long time ago.

My first memory was the League Cup final of 1974. I like telling this story so let me indulge myself (ahem). Day of the match my radge step faither said I'm not going. Since he was psycho there was no arguing. I went to the bedroom and skulked for a wee bit then took myself offsky. Got the bus from Leith up to Fountainbridge, having gone to a different bus stop to prvent any possible interception from the bam. Went to my auld Nana's and was picked up by the auld man. Met my Uncle and Grandad at the Austin social club in Polworth and off to the game.

Hampden was awesome to the ten year old me. Rammed with folk and it seemed enormous. If I remember rightly it was 2-1 at half time, with the wee fat man scoring just before the interval. Sadly, Dixie Deans ripped us second half. FInal score 6-3.

I never said a word to any of my family about what awaited me when I got back home. I got a good hiding, although the psycho seemed fairly half hearted about it.

Since then Hampden record has continued in a fairly diabolical vein, it's a played 13, won 4 record for me.

The concreting was done in the 80s

The first phase of the redevelopment involved the demolition of the North Stand, the concreting of all terraces and the building a block of turnstiles around the upper section of the East Terrace.[52] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hampden_Park#cite_note-Inglis463-52) This work, begun in October 1981 and completed in 1986, reduced the capacity to 74,370 and cost £3 million

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hampden_Park

clerriehibs
03-05-2013, 03:21 PM
It is rather annoyig it is only a 50k stadium. You would think that with celtic park being 60, and all the previous finals etc they would have opted for a larger capacity. I seriously do think for certain games the place would be filled if it was 80,000.

Just a bug bear of mines.

Blame rangers; we were all set for a complete rebuild, but then they pipwd up that there was no need as ibrox was being redeveloped and could be used instead. There was a review, and the pig's ear we now have was the ugly compromise.

Sanger
03-05-2013, 03:45 PM
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/scotland-v-england-1

First visit with my mum. Won two tickets in spot the ball as had picture in my Scottish footbal annual. Best was 2007 winning League Cup. 2012?

Halmyre Hibee
03-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Halmyre, can you remember the line up for Liberton, I was at Liberton in 1978 (2nd year), see if I can remember any names:greengrin
Barry Kinnear, Keith Paterson, Kenny Waugh (the ex Hibs owners son), Stevie Richardson, Paul Jeromson, John Saunderson, Gary Meikle, Rob Allan, Garham Naysmith, Terry Malone, Me (Davie Grant) and a few names I've forgot for the moment but will come back to me later. Guys we played against were John McDonald & Gordon Dalziel both ex Rangers on our way to the final. Good old Libby.

12AlbionPlace
03-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Barry Kinnear, Keith Paterson, Kenny Waugh (the ex Hibs owners son), Stevie Richardson, Paul Jeromson, John Saunderson, Gary Meikle, Rob Allan, Garham Naysmith, Terry Malone, Me (Davie Grant) and a few names I've forgot for the moment but will come back to me later. Guys we played against were John McDonald & Gordon Dalziel both ex Rangers on our way to the final. Good old Libby.

I know John Saunderson (kids go to school together, Libby:greengrin) and I'm playing golf with Stevie Richardson next week, I'll mention you were asking for him:thumbsup:

superfurryhibby
04-05-2013, 09:17 AM
The concreting was done in the 80s

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hampden_Park

Mmmm, suggests there were areas of ancient style terracing that were concreted. I have no memories of the railway sleeper style. Older Hibees, can you shed any light?

Keith_M
04-05-2013, 09:39 AM
Mmmm, suggests there were areas of ancient style terracing that were concreted. I have no memories of the railway sleeper style. Older Hibees, can you shed any light?

I attended the Scotland v England game in May 1982 and it was still ash terracing. League Cup Final October 1985 the terracing had been already concreted over.

So, the terracing was concreted sometime between those two dates.

Halmyre Hibee
04-05-2013, 09:46 AM
I know John Saunderson (kids go to school together, Libby:greengrin) and I'm playing golf with Stevie Richardson next week, I'll mention you were asking for him:thumbsup:
Yes do that. I hope they are ageing well. 2 good strong players in their day.

Glory Lurker
04-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Just looked up my first game at Hampden - against England in 1984. I see it was on 26 May. The good news then, folks, is that I have never seen my team lose at Hampden when the game's on 26 May. Never seen them win either, right enough, but the signs are good!

weecounty hibby
04-05-2013, 08:10 PM
My first memory is of the semi final in 79 when both Hibs and Aberdeen fans were under over in the Rangers end. Think it was really poor crowd. Most memories are of a huge build up with massive expectations only to be kicked right in the spuds when the day comes. Never missed a Hibs game at Hampden since the semi in 79 but have only a few good times. May 26th will be another to add to the good memory bank hopefully. Hampden was a dump then and still is now. An embarrassment as a national stadium.

Carheenlea
04-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Here`s a great picture capturing the scenes prior to the fabled European Cup Final in 1960 between Real Madrid and Eintracht Frankfurt. Official attendance was 127,621. (click picture to enlarge)

hibs0666
04-05-2013, 09:03 PM
League Cup Semi-Final versus Rangers in 2004...during the penalty shoot out some random boy grabs me and screams in my ear "Colin Murdoch is going to be our hero tonight" and he rocks up slots the penalty away and we all go absolutely mental!

The Semi-Final this year was pretty special as well. Never has a game summed up the emotions of supporting Hibs so well!

These ones? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVnigShdkZ4) :wink:

ronaldo7
04-05-2013, 10:13 PM
I've seen the Hibees lift the cup 6 times at Hampden, but the best for me was the first in 1972. My first appearance at Hampden was in 1969 when I was 12, with 74,240, I watched Celtc gubb us 6-2. I remember standing up at the top of the west stand watching Eric Stevenson scoring the second hibs goal near the end of the game and thinking we need to get back here and win something. I went to see us get beaten against Celtc with over 106,000 at the game in May 1972, but then we got a chance for redemption...

1972 and we went to the game with the Tartan club bus. We were up in the gods in the main stand nearest to the west, and the chants of Hibees, Hibees were started up there. When the game ended, nobody could see the area where the cup was to be presented so my Dad hoisted me up on his shoulders and I was able to see Paddy on his way up to lift the cup. All around us people were shouting "has he got it yet". When I saw Pat lift the cup I shouted, "He's got it", and a loud cry went up from all the Hibees around us. Magical moments for me.

In 72 the League cup was started with groups with the top 2 teams going through to the next round. We were in a group with Aberdeen, QOS, and Queens Park. We ended going through with the Dons. Our lesser neighbors were in a group with Airdrie, Dumbarton, and Berwick Rangers. Hearts ended up third in their group and decided to give it up trying to win the League cup:wink:

A special International moment for me at Hampden was against Spain when Mo Johnston scored 2, and then King Kenny smashed one into the top corner to make it 3-1 in a World Cup Qualifier.

Let's hope the lads can make some more History on Sunday 26th May:not worth

O'Rourke3
05-05-2013, 12:08 AM
]http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/6609/fil2883copie.jpg (http://www.hibs.net/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=pictures+of+hampden+park+glasgow&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=E76kdTtDNNu5UM&tbnid=3xSS2JVSyHMR7M:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.skyscrapercity.com%2Fshowthre ad.php%3Ft%3D839610%26page%3D11&ei=79mCUdyxIYWs0QWaioHQCw&bvm=bv.45960087,d.d2k&psig=AFQjCNGCAPfzB4JAyklLhU0QqOCJKJ7LeQ&ust=1367616216338685)[/QUOTE]
This. 1972 SC semi versus Rangers. Call in morning from my Dad, be at the Legion for 11 and ask for Eddie. Next thing I know I'm on the Legion bus from Porty to HP for the semi against Rangers. First time vs Rangers and first time Hampden. Last row of the old North Stand quite near the Rangers end. First impressions Why did I have to wade through so much P155? Why were everyone's backs turned to the ground and were there no toilets? What exactly were spearmint macaroon bars? How many stairs did I have to climb and how easy is it for me to fall about a mile and a half back to the ground? Hu -Gers score first and Pat Stanton gets injured. After the trainer, he seems to be wearing a stookie but plays on :top marks. We get an equalizer :flag: No clue who but all thoughts of falling lost as I celebrate with the rest of the north stand. Fights break out below and to my left right and no-one seems to give a toss. I'm in the back row so at least nothing's going to hit me from behind..... And then the final whistle goes.Vague feeling we've been hard done, but no more. Can't think if I've ever been in a bigger crowd or not. Few Scotland games in the 80's maybe. But that ground was proper heaving and seemed to be green and white in the majority.

hibee_nation
05-05-2013, 12:21 AM
]I've seen the Hibees lift the cup 6 times at Hampden[/B], but the best for me was the first in 1972. My first appearance at Hampden was in 1969 when I was 12, with 74,240, I watched Celtc gubb us 6-2. I remember standing up at the top of the west stand watching Eric Stevenson scoring the second hibs goal near the end of the game and thinking we need to get back here and win something. I went to see us get beaten against Celtc with over 106,000 at the game in May 1972, but then we got a chance for redemption...

1972 and we went to the game with the Tartan club bus. We were up in the gods in the main stand nearest to the west, and the chants of Hibees, Hibees were started up there. When the game ended, nobody could see the area where the cup was to be presented so my Dad hoisted me up on his shoulders and I was able to see Paddy on his way up to lift the cup. All around us people were shouting "has he got it yet". When I saw Pat lift the cup I shouted, "He's got it", and a loud cry went up from all the Hibees around us. Magical moments for me.

In 72 the League cup was started with groups with the top 2 teams going through to the next round. We were in a group with Aberdeen, QOS, and Queens Park. We ended going through with the Dons. Our lesser neighbors were in a group with Airdrie, Dumbarton, and Berwick Rangers. Hearts ended up third in their group and decided to give it up trying to win the League cup:wink:

A special International moment for me at Hampden was against Spain when Mo Johnston scored 2, and then King Kenny smashed one into the top corner to make it 3-1 in a World Cup Qualifier.

Let's hope the lads can make some more History on Sunday 26th May:not worth

I've seen us win the League Cup 3 times and we won the Dryburgh Cup twice. What other cup did we win :confused:

Miguel
05-05-2013, 12:34 AM
First went there in 1969, in what was then the main stand (now the south). Got pumped 6-2 by Celtic. What shocked me at the time, as an eight year old kid was the grinding poverty of Glasgow. Been there for a few Scotland and most Hibs games since.
At the first semi against Dunfermline in 2008, got caught up in traffic jam near Gorbals. Nearly 30 years on, place was still a poverty stricken hole. The stadium isn't as bad as some people make out, but it's not the greatest either.
The national stadium should be in Edinburgh. Would any other country have it in its second city? Hampden = ugly sisters. Sell it off for housing and have national stadium at Murrayfield.