PDA

View Full Version : Summer 2013 Transfer Window - Greater Reliance on Youth

BEEJ
01-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Thought this was an interesting article / PF interview in today's EEN.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/hibs-will-turn-to-youth-stars-next-term-1-2915506

ColintonHibs
01-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Great news. Always like to see the young players do well

matty_f
01-05-2013, 12:15 PM
I think it's a good way forward, we know these kids can play football so getting them into the first team and developing our own players is, IMHO, the way to go.

BEEJ
01-05-2013, 06:46 PM
I think it's a good way forward, we know these kids can play football so getting them into the first team and developing our own players is, IMHO, the way to go.
:agree:

It's also one of the key reasons that we developed East Mains.

1875Hibees
01-05-2013, 06:47 PM
We still need to make around 4-5 new signings though.

Gatecrasher
01-05-2013, 06:49 PM
no doubt we will see a few new signings but if Harris, Handling and Caldwell come through over the summer they will be like having new signings anyway. I'm looking forward to seeing them progress.

eastterrace
01-05-2013, 06:50 PM

yes its the way to go but if we are bottom or near the bottom of the league after a few months then mr fenlon will be on his way out, so he would still need to sign some players.

Heisenberg
01-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Looking forward to seeing the young lads get a chance. Need Harris on a longer contract though...I'd guess that we'll see maybe 4 new faces in the summer. Hopefully no more Kuqi like signings.

neil7908
01-05-2013, 07:37 PM
For me, we should be using the last 3 games of the season to give any of the young guys that look like they're close to making a break through a chance to shine. I'd rather they get some time now than the start of next season when 3 or 4 bad results can see u sitting at the bottom of the league.

This is definitely good news from Pat but if you look at the number of players who are out of contract or loans are ending in the summer they will all need to be replaced. Add that to the fact that we still need quality additions if we want to improve on this year, plus the fact that the squad has looked light at times and even with a few youngsters coming in we still need 5-6 players.

Golden Bear
01-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Brilliant - but actions speak louder than words so let's see where we stand this time next year.

West hamBERNIAN
01-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Great news, we've been bringing countless experienced highly paid numties for years, how much worse could the youth players do? Would like to see a couple of classy foreigners like paco Luna or even a Freddie arpinon. Shouldn't be too hard pat!:wink:

Borderhibbie76
01-05-2013, 08:33 PM
For those saying we need 5 and 6 new players, forget it...it ain't gonna happen! Not in the current climate nor with our attendances under 10k!! I reckon at best we will see maybe 3 or 4 plus Craig and the youngsters. The only sobering note is we are much better off financially than the rest of SPL bar the Smellies so everyone else will weaken once again :flag:

Kato
01-05-2013, 09:08 PM
yes its the way to go but if we are bottom or near the bottom of the league after a few months then mr fenlon will be on his way out, so he would still need to sign some players.

check cheery chops

jeffers
01-05-2013, 09:19 PM
I have to disagree with those that state this is great news. Of course the way forward for us is to have our youngsters progressing to the first team, but only if they are good enough. From what I've seen from Caldwell and Handling neither are ready yet. Harris is a different story, he looks like a real star.

It reads to me that Paddy knows he will lose a good number of players in the summer and will only be able to sign a few players to replace them. I take that to mean, despite reaching another cup final, his budget for next season is being cut and playing the youngsters is his only option.

jamieross
01-05-2013, 10:07 PM
For those saying we need 5 and 6 new players, forget it...it ain't gonna happen! Not in the current climate nor with our attendances under 10k!! I reckon at best we will see maybe 3 or 4 plus Craig and the youngsters. The only sobering note is we are much better off financially than the rest of SPL bar the Smellies so everyone else will weaken once again :flag:

Little bit contradictory. I agree with the point though that we wont get loads in this summer.

jodjam
01-05-2013, 10:11 PM
I have to disagree with those that state this is great news. Of course the way forward for us is to have our youngsters progressing to the first team, but only if they are good enough. From what I've seen from Caldwell and Handling neither are ready yet. Harris is a different story, he looks like a real star.

It reads to me that Paddy knows he will lose a good number of players in the summer and will only be able to sign a few players to replace them. I take that to mean, despite reaching another cup final, his budget for next season is being cut and playing the youngsters is his only option.

Cheeky wee bit about budget cuts mate ;)

BEEJ
01-05-2013, 10:12 PM
I have to disagree with those that state this is great news. Of course the way forward for us is to have our youngsters progressing to the first team, but only if they are good enough.

Or he's following the well-travelled path of club managers setting expectations for forthcoming contract negotiations with both existing and prospective new players. :wink:

It's all about achieving an appropriate squad balance. Here's my punt / personal guess at current players expected to move on in the summer:

Eoin Doyle
Calum Antell
Matt Done
Pa Kujabi
Shefki Kuqi
Gary Deegan
Alan Maybury
Martin Scott (if mutual terms can be agreed)

Compared to those new players who, so far, have either been confirmed or hinted at as being in the frame for signing this summer:

Liam Craig
Ryan O'Leary
Vaughn Miller (from Sweden(?), on trial at EM a couple of months ago)

In addition, again PF will be focussing on retaining the likes of:

Leigh Griffiths
Jorge Claros
Ryan McGivern
Kevin Thomson

any one or two of which will use up a fair bit of his 2013/14 player budget.
PF will also be looking to take a decision on whether Sean Murdoch continues as our No.2 keeper under a new contract.

So on top of that lot I would expect either new / extended or first professional contracts for the the likes of the following Hibs youngsters who have either been featuring on the fringes of the squad recently or mentioned in dispatches:

Jordon Foster
Alex Harris
Dean Horribine
Harry Monaghan
Bradley Donaldson
Paul Grant

So another busy summer window, regardless. :greengrin

jeffers
01-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Cheeky wee bit about budget cuts mate ;)

I have no idea what you could mean.......:wink:

GreenPJ
01-05-2013, 10:35 PM
Or he's following the well-travelled path of club managers setting expectations for forthcoming contract negotiations with both existing and prospective new players. :wink:

It's all about achieving an appropriate squad balance. Here's my punt / personal guess at current players expected to move on in the summer:

Eoin Doyle
Calum Antell
Matt Done
Pa Kujabi
Shefki Kuqi
Gary Deegan
Alan Maybury

Compared to those new players who, so far, have either been confirmed or rr at as being in the frame for signing this summer:

Liam Craig
Ryan O'Leary

Leigh Griffiths
Jorge Claros
Ryan McGivern
Kevin Thomson

PF will also be looking to take a decision on whether Sean Murdoch continues as our No.2 keeper under a new contract.

So on top of that lot I would expect either new / extended or first professional contracts for the the likes of the following Hibs youngsters who have either been featuring on the fringes of the squad recently or mentioned in dispatches:

Jordon Foster
Alex Harris
Dean Horribine
Harry Monaghan
Bradley Donaldson
Paul Grant

The reality is the 4 loans listed will go along with done and wotherspoon. I think we will see at least 10 away which means you need at least 5

jeffers
01-05-2013, 10:49 PM

Eoin Doyle
Calum Antell
Matt Done
Pa Kujabi
Shefki Kuqi
Gary Deegan
Alan Maybury

Compared to those new players who, so far, have either been confirmed or hinted at as being in the frame for signing this summer:

Liam Craig
Ryan O'Leary

Leigh Griffiths
Jorge Claros
Ryan McGivern
Kevin Thomson

Jordon Foster
Alex Harris
Dean Horribine
Harry Monaghan
Bradley Donaldson
Paul Grant

I wouldn't be sad if all the players you think will leave actually do so BEEJ, tho I have a sneaky feeling he might just offer Maybury another year as he is able to cover both full back positions. I also wonder where Wotherspoon fits into his plans.

Personally I would focus on trying to keep Sparky and KT, it would be great if Claros could stay, but we do have cover in central midfield. McGivern has gone off the boil (not the only one) latterly, I wouldn't be too disappointed if he left.

BEEJ
02-05-2013, 10:11 AM
I wouldn't be sad if all the players you think will leave actually do so BEEJ, tho I have a sneaky feeling he might just offer Maybury another year as he is able to cover both full back positions. I also wonder where Wotherspoon fits into his plans.

:agree: Hard to know just where Spoony sits in the scheme of things. But his current contract with us does run out in a few weeks time.

At the time he was mentioned, I got the impression that this guy, Miller, might be a suitable squad replacement for Maybury. But then I may also have read somewhere that he was a striker ..... so who knows??!! :greengrin

Godsahibby
02-05-2013, 10:19 AM
I saw no mention of Scott Smith, whats the script with him? Always understood him to be a decent player, looked excellent in the game at ER he played (a friendly last season?). With McGivern going I would have thought he'd be a perfect replacement.

Heisenberg
02-05-2013, 10:19 AM
I'd think Wotherspoon would have already had his contract offer by now? Would be a shame to see him leave having not fulfilled his potential but that's the way it goes, he's never been consistent enough.

greenpaper55
02-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Giving youth a chance is a great idea but they need experienced players alongside them , don't forget that young players lose their form quicker than older players also if they are played to much they can get burnt out . A few good experienced pro's need to add to the squad.

BEEJ
02-05-2013, 10:38 AM
I saw no mention of Scott Smith, whats the script with him? Always understood him to be a decent player, looked excellent in the game at ER he played (a friendly last season?). With McGivern going I would have thought he'd be a perfect replacement.
:agree: I'm a big fan of Scott's as well. I've always thought that he reads the game really well and that he's a good, natural leader on the park. A robust defender, midfielder with a good eye for a pass.

Since January he's being turning out regularly for Dumbarton where he's on loan under Ian Murray. Meantime, his contract with Hibs expires at the end of this season.

I hope he isn't overlooked; but with the next generation of Hibs youngsters now breaking through into the first team squad, Scott and his 'generation' need to be looking over their shoulders.

jdships
02-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Giving youth a chance is a great idea but they need experienced players alongside them , don't forget that young players lose their form quicker than older players also if they are played to much they can get burnt out . A few good experienced pro's need to add to the squad.

Was just getting ready to post on this very subject when I saw your note
:agree::thumbsup:
What we need now is another Suazee / Matty Jack type player to guide and help the younger lads over the next season or two
On the other hand where you find on of this type of player is anybody's guess :greengrin