PDA

View Full Version : Since the split have we learnt anything new?

The Sea-gull
29-04-2013, 10:10 AM
In terms of how we can set up for the final?

Ben Williams is a given in goal but consistency of performance in the defence continues to be a problem. At RB, there's not much in it between Clancy and Maybury. Personally I don't really rate either of them. In the middle, McPake and Hanlon continue to worry me the former just does not look himself and the latter can be decent one game and dreadful the next. McGivern seems to be the best option at LB but he doesn't always convince.

Could it be a good idea to try playing McGivern and Hanlon in centre of defence for a few games? For me, Stevenson has never really put a foot wrong when he has played at LB this season. We are a bit short of options at the back down to Fenlon's policy of not having a big enough pool of defenders yet constantly signing midfielders who are all in the same mould (Claros, Taiwo, Deegan, Thomson).

The big debate is what formation we play. 4-4-2 which actually worked earlier in the season or some sort of 4-5-1 which has rarely worked. I would concede that the players making 4-4-2 work (Spoony and Cairney) are now well off form and while Harris and Hanling have been great, I'm not sure if they are up to playing the wide roles in a 4-4-2 just yet.

I do feel we have the players to make a 4-2-3-1 an option. Two from Thomson, Claros and Taiwo could be the two sitters and then Handling and Harris wide in the three with Griffiths up top on his own.

The problem position is the central one of the three. Scott Robertson is the player at the club who I think would be the best natural fit but he looks short of form to play there. So if we did play this formation, who could we play there:-

Taiwo - maybe but not sure if he is physical or attacking enough.

Doyle - again not sure about the physical side. He has played a bit better lately but has still not done enough to make me gutted he is leaving.

Handling - maybe try him there and play Cairney or Wotherspoon wide but those two are off their games right now.

Wotherspoon - not really sure it is his best position and he is off his game just now.

Cairney - as Wotherspoon but similar to where he played for Thistle?

Caldwell - worth a try in the coming league games?

Would be interested to hear views.

Treadstone
29-04-2013, 10:15 AM
On their form for Hibs, Taiwo over Robertson every day and twice on Sunday. Shown more attacking wise which was meant to be Robertsons speciality.

JimBHibees
29-04-2013, 10:16 AM

Ben Williams is a given in goal but consistency of performance in the defence continues to be a problem. At RB, there's not much in it between Clancy and Maybury. Personally I don't really rate either of them. In the middle, McPake and Hanlon continue to worry me the former just does not look himself and the latter can be decent one game and dreadful the next. McGivern seems to be the best option at LB but he doesn't always convince.

Could it be a good idea to try playing McGivern and Hanlon in centre of defence for a few games? For me, Stevenson has never really put a foot wrong when he has played at LB this season. We are a bit short of options at the back down to Fenlon's policy of not having a big enough pool of defenders yet constantly signing midfielders who are all in the same mould (Claros, Taiwo, Deegan, Thomson).

The big debate is what formation we play. 4-4-2 which actually worked earlier in the season or some sort of 4-5-1 which has rarely worked. I would concede that the players making 4-4-2 work (Spoony and Cairney) are now well off form and while Harris and Hanling have been great, I'm not sure if they are up to playing the wide roles in a 4-4-2 just yet.

I do feel we have the players to make a 4-2-3-1 an option. Two from Thomson, Claros and Taiwo could be the two sitters and then Handling and Harris wide in the three with Griffiths up top on his own.

The problem position is the central one of the three. Scott Robertson is the player at the club who I think would be the best natural fit but he looks short of form to play there. So if we did play this formation, who could we play there:-

Doyle - again not sure about the physical side. He has played a bit better lately but has still not done enough to make me gutted he is leaving.

Handling - maybe try him there and play Cairney or Wotherspoon wide but those two are off their games right now.

Wotherspoon - not really sure it is his best position and he is off his game just now.

I think the team is pretty much picked adn will be:

Williams

Clancy
McPake
Hanlon
McGivern

Doyle
Claros
Taiwo
Thomson
Harris

Sparky

Taiwo to me has been a revelation in the last games particularly Saturday. I thought Clancy looked better against Dons. Only unless a severe drop in form such as Doyle/McPake or injury will the team change I think.

It is amazing how a final can suddenly see guys you didnt consider playing out of their skins which is a good thing and hope PF continues to give guys a chance to push into squad. Really dont understand why only 5 subs it seems random and unfair to me.

Speedway
29-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Celtic don't like it up 'em and if we afford them respect, we'll lose by cricket score.

Therefore we have to come roaring out of the blocks and put them on the back foot from the off. This means an attacking policy of quick breaks and strong finishing.

No combo of defenders are any good in what we've got so I'd go:

Williams

Clancy
McPake
McGivern
Hanlon

Handling
Thomson
Claros
Harris

Kuqi
Griffiths

29-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Celtic don't like it up 'em and if we afford them respect, we'll lose by cricket score.

Therefore we have to come roaring out of the blocks and put them on the back foot from the off. This means an attacking policy of quick breaks and strong finishing.

No combo of defenders are any good in what we've got so I'd go:

Williams

Clancy
McPake
McGivern
Hanlon

Handling
Thomson
Claros
Harris

Kuqi
Griffiths

Please god no !

Keith_M
29-04-2013, 10:28 AM
Yeah, we're just as cr*p no matter WHAT formation we play.

Speedway
29-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Please god no !

Tons of experience, provides an aerial threat in the box (which no-one else does) when Leigh is out taking set pieces but most of all, the ball can stick up top when played to him and he now has three runners in Boozy, Handling and Spanky who can feed off his monolithic and immobile lay offs and flick ons.

Bring Doyle on after the hour once he's knackered.

Hibercelona
29-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Tons of experience, provides an aerial threat in the box (which no-one else does) when Leigh is out taking set pieces but most of all, the ball can stick up top when played to him and he now has three runners in Boozy, Handling and Spanky who can feed off his monolithic and immobile lay offs and flick ons.

Bring Doyle on after 5 minutes once he's knackered.

Fixed that for you.

The Sea-gull
29-04-2013, 10:35 AM
I think the team is pretty much picked adn will be:

Williams

Clancy
McPake
Hanlon
McGivern

Doyle
Claros
Taiwo
Thomson
Harris

Sparky

Taiwo to me has been a revelation in the last games particularly Saturday. I thought Clancy looked better against Dons. Only unless a severe drop in form such as Doyle/McPake or injury will the team change I think.

It is amazing how a final can suddenly see guys you didnt consider playing out of their skins which is a good thing and hope PF continues to give guys a chance to push into squad. Really dont understand why only 5 subs it seems random and unfair to me.

Yeah, think your team could be right. The only thing about it is that it looks as though it is designed at accomodating Thomson, Taiwo and Claros which is fine but I do feel they are all very similar players. I'm really dissappointed that Scott Robertson has not been at the races as when he is on form he'd give us something different to the other midfielders.

I believe Cairney also has it in him to play in an advanced central role but barring him showing some great form in the next three games, I can't see him in there either.

I have been impressed with Handling in recent weeks but can't see him, Harris and Doyle all starting. Harris for me has to start so it would leave a place for Handling or Doyle. Good to keep one of them as an option for coming of the bench anyway.

Don't see why the whole squad can't be on the bench ike in a lot of tournament football but the 16 should probably be:-

Williams, Murdoch, Maybury, Clancy, McGivern, Stevenson, McPake, Hanlon, Taiwo, Claros, Thomson, Harris, Handling, Doyle, Griffiths and Wotherspoon.

If that's the case then Cairney and Caldwell will rightly feel a wee bit dissappointed. There may be scope to include one of them at Maybury's expense.

Robertson, Kuqi, Kujabi, Done and Deegan will be dissappointed but can have no real complaints.

SMAXXA
29-04-2013, 10:40 AM

Whens he gona do his preseason before the final to get upto fitness? :wink:

29-04-2013, 10:43 AM

Sorry but don't see him offering us anything at all, a carthorse who would give far too much away. Doyle offers a lot more so I would start him along side sparky.

Speedway
29-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Whens he gona do his preseason before the final to get upto fitness? :wink:

In the words of the lucky genius Pat Fenlon:

"We pinpointed the forward department as an area that urgently needed strengthening, but it was crucial that we made the right signing.

"With Shefki, what you see is what you get - he is an old fashioned target man, who can hold the ball up and get his head on the end of corners.

"He offers us something totally different to what we had before and his wealth of knowledge will not only help the team right away, but also help the development of our young strikers such as Ross Caldwell and Danny Handling.

"He is yet another strong-minded player and a good character, who will have a massive part to play for us this season."

number9dream
29-04-2013, 10:54 AM
It's a real head-scratcher and the answer to the original question would have to be not much.
Most contributors are agreed on eight or nine names for starting XI at Hampden and I'm sure it's the same for the manager.
I'd like to see Handling played up front beside Griffiths at Killie because Doyle has not impressed in the last two games.
Or does wee Pat stick with Doyler in the hope of him finding some sort of form or even give Spoony or Cairney a chance in a central role behind Leigh?
The defence is a real worry - full-backs simply hoofing the ball up the park - rarely getting beyond wide midfielders - McPake appears to have lost all focus.
Taiwo, Claros, Thomson are our best ball players in midfield but if we play all three Griffiths will be completely isolated.
Robertson needs to be sent on holiday early and hopefully he can start afresh next season...

Bristolhibby
29-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Sorry but don't see him offering us anything at all, a carthorse who would give far too much away. Doyle offers a lot more so I would start him along side sparky.

This.

Slow as a week in gaol, and gets as knackered as if it were me playing professional football for the first time (ie very).

J

Wotherspiniesta
29-04-2013, 12:39 PM
UFG: Up for grabs.

Williams

UFG UFG Hanlon McGivern

UFG Claros UFG Harris

UFG Griffiths

IMO.

We shouldn't be scared of going 4-4-2. We need support up there for Sparky.

RB: Maybury/Clancy/Forster(?) Neither of them are brilliant, Clancy would scrape my vote by a bawhair.
RCB: McPake's lucky we dont have many options in that position. On his day, he can be solid though. I'd probably rest him for a week or two and let him recharge the batteries.
RM: Handling/Wotherspoon. I would say Cairney aswell, but I don't think the big Hampden pitch suits his abilities. Clever footballer, but doesn't have the energy or pace to play that role.
CM: Thomson/Taiwo. A good problem to have. Claros can be instrumental in the final, and I think he plays better with Taiwo. I'd go for him on that basis.
CF: Doyle/Caldwell/Handling. Would be interested to see Handling up top before the final. Caldwell should start V Killie. Can't argue with Doyle's commitment, given that he's already on the move. Tricky one.

J-C
29-04-2013, 12:54 PM
I'd go with

Williams

Clancy
McPake
Hanlon
McGivern

Doyle
Claros
Thompson
Harris

Handling/Caldwell
Griffiths

We need the 2 wide men to put a shift in and help out the full backs, Celtic have plenty pace about them and that's the worry with 3 out of the back 4, very slow indeed.

Hibby Kay-Yay
29-04-2013, 01:15 PM
***************Williams***************

Clancy*****McPake*****Hanlon*****McGivern

**********Claros*****Thomson***********

Handling*********Tom**************Harris

************Super Leigh*****************

Switch Handling and Harris around, make Tom an attacking midfielder and destroy them from the start. Under no circumstances should we defend deep, that get's us in a right mess

Stringer
29-04-2013, 03:27 PM
***************Williams***************

Clancy*****McPake*****Hanlon*****McGivern

**********Claros*****Thomson***********

Handling*********Tom**************Harris

************Super Leigh*****************

Switch Handling and Harris around, make Tom an attacking midfielder and destroy them from the start. Under no circumstances should we defend deep, that get's us in a right mess

I like this team but would give spoony a chance through the middle. Tom would come on for him at 60

superfurryhibby
29-04-2013, 03:38 PM

Before his injury issues Clancy was miles ahead of Maybury. I'm not convinced that Handling offers too much.

yekimevol
29-04-2013, 07:42 PM
williams

Stevenson Mcpake Hanlon McGivern

Wortherspoon Thomo Tawio Harris

Handling

Super Leigh

The teams issue is that they cannot keep hold of the ball, this puts more pressure on the defense and we lose goals i.e. if we have the ball they cant bloody score. Against St Mirren we had 45% possession at home, thats unbelievable. I thought when Fenlon went to a five in the middle of the park we would have more of the ball but we don't its maddening to be honest and i put it down to the long balls we play with no targetman.

One of our main issues is goal kicks, Leigh or Doyle are not targetmen we automatically lose the ball and it comes straight back at us. Treat it like any other set piece and have mcpake or hanlon (or both) up for it to win the ball, with tawio covering them at the back. This will help the possession if we dont lose it over and over again from the goal kick, which we do every time.

number9dream
30-04-2013, 09:27 AM
I'd like to see yekimevol's team line up at Rugby Park - give Handling a shot through the middle and Spoony some game time. Stevenson did well at right-back earlier in the season. Rest key players for final two league games - Caldwell, Horribine and Forster should be given a run.

I suspect wee Pat will go for Clancy at Hampden, given Celtic's threat in the air - Lustig will be coming in on the right and Samaras / Mulgrew on the left.
Also think caution will get the better of our boss for the big day and we'll see Claros, Taiwo and Thomson in the middle of the park, which is sure to leave Griffiths isolated.
Celtic simply ran over the top of us last time in Glasgow, with no one picking up Commons and Ledley and Wanyama overpowering our middle three with ease, although the latter is suspended and Deegan probably won't be involved.