PDA

View Full Version : Being Green

HibernianJK
28-04-2013, 06:03 PM
I have been thinking about this for a while now. Is it just me that at hibs, and in particular scottish football, there is a lot less fans wearing team colours to games. When im at easter road I always wear my hibs strip and a scarf but when I look at the FF and the West it looks like a sea of black and grey, and green.....seats. Would be nice if we could create scenes, not to the same scale, as Dortmund etc who plough all sort of yellow things into the club on gameday.

Devilstorment
28-04-2013, 06:14 PM
I liked when we had the banners in the top section of the south stand for a few games, could do the same with the upper left and right sections of the West

I always have my hibs top on display. I think weather plays a part though, it was nice on Saturday to be sitting with my hibs shirt on and the sun beating down (actually got a wee bit sun burnt!) cant really do that if its pissing down and hibs dont to a massive trade on macs

bingo70
28-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Is it not a bit cold to wear your hibs top on display for most of the season? Not sure what difference wearing a strip under a jacket would make?!

s.a.m
28-04-2013, 06:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ZxxHbJGbY

fat freddy
28-04-2013, 06:40 PM
a lot of people move on to the pubs and clubs after matches and its understandable that they might not want to be burdened with a football scarf on a night out...on the whole i think a lot of people in the 20 - 40 age bracket find scarves a bit old school and unfashionable.

me?...i still wear one around both wrists as well as two tied around my waist band and a flag draped down my back.

.Sean.
28-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Usually try and wear a bit of green, maybe suede trainers or a zippy top or a polo, wouldn't wear a replica top anymore though. Bit old for that game!

hibbytam
28-04-2013, 06:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ZxxHbJGbY

Kermit is a hibby.

Brightside
28-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Football strips are for players and kids. HTH. :wink:

woodythehibee
28-04-2013, 06:59 PM
I always wear my hibs shirt and scarf to the matches. Just a tradition. Agree with the opening post though, would love to see more green and white in the stands at Easter Road.

LancashireHibby
28-04-2013, 07:02 PM
Don't often wear a replica top (though I may for the final) but pretty much always wear a green polo and/or jacket, and usually have a Hibs scarf as well.

The evidence at Hampden would suggest scarves are still more than common!

lord bunberry
28-04-2013, 07:03 PM
I always wear the colours, I got a famous 5 replica top for christmas which I've been wearing a lot

Brizo
28-04-2013, 07:14 PM
i think theres a lot of people who think strips and scarfs are a bit naff especially when worn by men of a certain age and weight :greengrin. The 80s casual era def had an influence making wearing club colours unfashionable even for the vast majority of that age group who werent involved in such goings on.

Some clubs seem to have a big scarf and replica strip contingent ie Newcastle and Celtc. We dont and for that im quite happy. Stands full of acrylic static electricity inducing club leesurewear wouldnt be Hibs class.

erin go bragh
28-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Yesterday was my first game without a scarf in 30 years , went straight to the game from my Karate class ,kids were at a birthday party , so met a mate up the toon and had a pre match pint .
Had a green top on tho ,everyone should wear a bit green imo

ggtth

JollyGreenGiant
28-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Always try and wear a Hibs top to games, but put my jacket on after I left the pub.

In my opinion hibs replica top should only be worn at hibs games or playing 5s.

Carheenlea
28-04-2013, 07:19 PM
I would say a decent number wear the strips or green items to games, certainly round where I sit anyway. Think it`s more a young mans game the strip wearing anyway, or for the more slender build of fan!
It does look quite something when you see stands filled with supporters wearing matching tops, but it`s never really been in our culture to do so. Then again I suppose the Tartan Army have a kind of "uniform" as such, with large numbers sporting kilts and Scotland shirts to games, something that has developed over time from when I used to go and watch Scotland in the 1980`s when it was not really as popular.
A lot of fans don`t specifically leave the house to go to the game then return home, a lot of fans are out for the day with the football being part of it, with strip wearing probably being inappropriate for other activities. I`m sure for the Cup Final though fans will be more inclined to sport Hibernian themed attire for the occasion!

Scouse Hibee
28-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Stopped wearing a scarf years ago and don't own any clothing that is green, had a maroon tee shirt on yesterday under my jacket as never bothered about wearing local rivals colours, think it's nonsense to be honest. And before anyone says, no I'm not fishing!

Devilstorment
28-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Usually try and wear a bit of green, maybe suede trainers or a zippy top or a polo, wouldn't wear a replica top anymore though. Bit old for that game!

your profile says that you are 22!?!

Carheenlea
28-04-2013, 07:28 PM
your profile says that you are 22!?!

Aye, seven years too old for it...:greengrin

Sir David Gray
28-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Stopped wearing a scarf years ago and don't own any clothing that is green, had a maroon tee shirt on yesterday under my jacket as never bothered about wearing local rivals colours, think it's nonsense to be honest. And before anyone says, no I'm not fishing!

Personally, I would hand out a banning order for that.

Pete
28-04-2013, 07:39 PM
I can take or leave replica tops but I feel there is something missing if I don't have a scarf at the match. I've tried wearing ones with writing and that college type one but it has to be a bar scarf.

I've got about five of them and I spend ages deciding what one to wear. I sometimes have to take them all in the car with me and decide at the last minute.

Going without a bar scarf would be unthinkable. You're all mental!

HibeeN
28-04-2013, 10:15 PM
I always wear my scarf, but don't bother with a replica shirt or Hibs top seeing as I always have a jacket on and zipped up anyway!

Got a pair of green jeans recently which I like to wear to the games :greengrin

Hibercelona
28-04-2013, 11:05 PM
Have been guilty of forgetting to bring a scarf over to Edinburgh from time to time, but there's no real excuse for purposely avoiding wearing a Hibs top or scarf.

Teapot
29-04-2013, 05:19 AM
I think replica shirts are fine for going to games and playing 5s in but I can understand why people might not like it. Wearing a scarf on game day is a must for me. Gives me a sense of pride walking to games with my scarf on.

RIP
29-04-2013, 05:58 AM
Stylish black jackets with green would be popular.

Get Pat O'Flaherty oan the case

Treadstone
29-04-2013, 06:17 AM
I think replica shirts are fine for going to games and playing 5s in but I can understand why people might not like it. Wearing a scarf on game day is a must for me. Gives me a sense of pride walking to games with my scarf on.

The Hibs tartan scarf is a thing of beauty.

offshorehibby
29-04-2013, 07:21 AM
I've got a nice green tartan/check Ted Baker scarf that i tend to ware in the winter. My old 70's Hibs scarf gets dragged out for the odd cup final. Other wise not worn Hibs scarf to games for years.

Pretty Boy
29-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Own about 30 Hibs strips but only really wear them to semis or finals or to play 5s in.

Still wear a scarf quite often, usually with jeans and a polo shirt

Think it's each to their own but wearing a strip to an average game just isn't for me.

NOLA
29-04-2013, 08:04 AM

I could never wear anything maroon, never have and never will, just such a horrible colour for clothing.

Steve-O
29-04-2013, 08:34 AM
Hibs need to bring out better casualwear, that is actually green, and then at least people wouldn't be wearing the strip if they didn't want to. Most of the jackets with a massive Hibs badge on them are a bit naff and I would still never wear it anywhere else but a Hibs game if I had one.

Maybe they should make some scarves that are less like football scarves, and more like the type of scarves that are 'fashionable' that folk wear.

Scouse Hibee
29-04-2013, 08:39 AM
I could never wear anything maroon, never have and never will, just such a horrible colour for clothing.

Only because you associate it with Hearts!

Steve-O
29-04-2013, 08:52 AM

That's enough. I will never own a maroon item of clothing.

Scouse Hibee
29-04-2013, 09:33 AM

Some folk eh!

Treadstone
29-04-2013, 09:56 AM
I had a car that my brother-in-law said was maroon , he was wrong it was burgundy.

Keith_M
29-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Maybe everyone could turn up dressed as kermit

joe breezy
29-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Burgundy and maroon are terrible colours. Remember burgundy was 'in' for the two tone / skinhead scene. The Jambos embraced it with glee.

I've never worn a Hibs scarf in my life and never will. A small pin badge will suffice and garish replica tops aren't happening for me either - although I would have worn our latest and best yet on holiday.

I've got an Albert Kidd t-shirt, Hibsbollah and Bill Shankly 'I've heard of the mental Hibees' T shirts.

I remember when it seemed almost the whole Liverpool support were casuals an there were no scarves or tops at all. Just a few Liverpool ski hats - I thought it looked really smart.

Sunshine in Leith with the scarves aloft looks great too though.
Each to his own although I do get the argument - its nice to see a lot of green.

I might wear my Nigel Cabourn green camouflage jacket for the final, depending on the weather.

Islington Hibs
29-04-2013, 11:18 AM
I always wear my green and white scarf and the same one that I bought in the early 80's. It may be naff but it is a semi religious relic.

3pm
29-04-2013, 11:37 AM

I'll own up. I am that petty. :agree:

It's disgusting as well though. :aok:

Albanian Hibs
29-04-2013, 11:49 AM

Correct. I dont own anything that minging colour. I have made sure my son does not have anything too. If he gets any maroon clothing as presents I come up with the "its too small/big" excuse and exchange for something less minging.

Back to the main point, I always wear my scarf to matches. I dont own any replica strips these days due to being a bigger girl and puma sizing being a bit on the neat side! I would still buy and wear a strip if the sizing was better though.

HibeeSince85
29-04-2013, 12:09 PM
I almost always have a scarf but rarely wear the top nowadays.

silverhibee
29-04-2013, 12:12 PM
I'll own up. I am that petty. :agree:

It's disgusting as well though. :aok:

Why can't you get green roof tiles. :grr:

Just gives the boak when you see that disgusting colour, can't even mention it. :jamboak:

c31
29-04-2013, 12:15 PM

I still feel like puking when i get on a edinburgh bus. Never had or ever will have anything maroon.

Wembley67
29-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Hibs need to bring out better casualwear, that is actually green, and then at least people wouldn't be wearing the strip if they didn't want to. Most of the jackets with a massive Hibs badge on them are a bit naff and I would still never wear it anywhere else but a Hibs game if I had one.

Maybe they should make some scarves that are less like football scarves, and more like the type of scarves that are 'fashionable' that folk wear.

Casual clothing branded by a football club is just absolutely atrocious, it looks naff, the wearer looks naff and it will never ever ever be fashionable.

Scouse Hibee
29-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Why can't you get green roof tiles. :grr:

Just gives the boak when you see that disgusting colour, can't even mention it. :jamboak:

Get your roof tiles painted/sealed, seen plenty of green roofs.

silverhibee
29-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Get your roof tiles painted/sealed, seen plenty of green roofs.

As a ST holder i would expect Hibs to do that for me.

Free of course.

JohnStephens91
29-04-2013, 06:01 PM
I always wear the scarf my late granddad gave to me when I was born and a replica top. For me wearing green or any of the club's replica shirts is a must, it is up to us to create the colour in the stadium and I always like to feel I do my part. I don't think I have ever been to a Hibs game without a shirt or my scarf, it's part of a tradition for me.

Also to those who say 'only at 5's or a Hibs match' for wearing a replica top, am I allowed to wear one when going out for a run? :greengrin

Oh and the colour maroon, never in a million years will I wear an item of that hideous colour. I have various maroon items in a portfolio from whenever I have been to Swiney to do match reports, but that's it. I refused to wear maroon as part of a new work uniform and instead the ties were changed to purple. Call it petty or whatever you want, but I will not wear that colour. It's horrible for a start, looks like a bloodied turd and is the colour of the vermin across the city.

Billy Whizz
29-04-2013, 06:08 PM
Wear a Hibs scarf to every game, and a Hibs strip to semi/ finals

JollyGreenGiant
29-04-2013, 06:39 PM
[QUOTE=Albanian Hibs;3581714]Correct. I dont own anything that minging colour. I have made sure my son does not have anything too. If he gets any maroon clothing as presents I come up with the "its too small/big" excuse and exchange for something less minging.

Haha, had many a childish argument with the wife:

Her - what do you think of the laddies new top

Me - its maroon, he's not wearing that

Her - its not maroon, its red!

Me - still too close to maroon, you will need to take it back!

NAE NOOKIE
29-04-2013, 07:26 PM
I'm Fiddy Tree and swore I would never get another replica strip ... but the bottle Green one was so good I couldnt resist it, stupid auld bugger.

I really hope Hibs stick with the darker Green, its class.

Most of the jackets in the shop over the years have been dark Blue or Black with a Hibs badge on them, but this new darker Green could lead the way to some smart new coats and jackets in dark Green ... could be really good for us aulder caulder folk :greengrin

Whatever your choice for wearing to games ............... If you dont turn up at Hampden on the 26th with something Green on you need shooting.

IMO.