PDA

View Full Version : Corner Kicks

vercol36
28-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Why are we so poor at these? I can't remember the last time I felt that a corner kick was an advantageous situation for us. None of the players seem capable of connecting with the incoming ball...either that, or the delivery is poor. Last goal I remember from a CK was the Griffiths goal directly from the corner flag. Is this a lack of practice in training, a sign of the team's nervousness, small height of players?.....

Apologies if this is nonsense, and I'm just being selectively pessimistic. But I'm fairly sure we are gash at corners.

scuttle
28-04-2013, 11:22 AM
Why are we so poor at these? I can't remember the last time I felt that a corner kick was an advantageous situation for us. None of the players seem capable of connecting with the incoming ball...either that, or the delivery is poor. Last goal I remember from a CK was the Griffiths goal directly from the corner flag. Is this a lack of practice in training, a sign of the team's nervousness, small height of players?.....

Apologies if this is nonsense, and I'm just being selectively pessimistic. But I'm fairly sure we are gash at corners.

We must be one of the smallest teams in the league, so agree that we should be trying something different

silverhibee
28-04-2013, 11:36 AM

Wish our top goal scorer was in the box to get on the end of things.

Scouse Hibee
28-04-2013, 11:38 AM
Wish our top goal scorer was in the box to get on the end of things.

I say this every game, there can't be many strikers with the amount of goals that Leigh has scored that always take the corners instead of being in the box waiting to pounce.

#FromTheCapital
28-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Was discussing this with a mate at the Aberdeen game on Monday. Our corners are terrible, all that ever happens is it either gets cleared by the opposition or it goes out for another corner which subsequently gets cleared by the opposition. Someone else should take them so that griffiths is in the danger zone. I know he's not the biggest most physical player but surely it makes sense to have your top goalscorer in with a chance of scoring at corners (and I know he scored directly from a corner vs killie this season but the chances of that happening again are very slim)

alnewhaven
28-04-2013, 11:48 AM
We were talking about this yesterday. Other team gets a corner, we dont seem to be able to defend against it and your hearts in your mouth expecting the worst.
Conversely, we get a corner, you dont expect us to score

WestEndHibee
28-04-2013, 11:50 AM
When zambia won the African Cup of Nations they realised that they were smaller than all the other teams and worked pass and move plays from corners. They had different routines for each one and iirc they were successful off a couple of them. I think Hibs should look into doing something like this. It can't be any less successful than what we have at the moment.

Steve-O
28-04-2013, 11:53 AM
I've just finished watching a season where my NZ team had approximately 160 corners in 27 games and did not score from a single one of them.

So, cheer up, it could be worse!!

Andy74
28-04-2013, 12:32 PM
I say this every game, there can't be many strikers with the amount of goals that Leigh has scored that always take the corners instead of being in the box waiting to pounce.

Getting on the end of things in the box isn't really his game. We get more from his delivery than we would him trying to get on the end of some ball from the likes of Wotherspoon. The likes of Henry, Bergkamp and Van Persie do or did similar.

Makaveli
28-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Thomson should be taking the corners when he's playing - far more reliable delivery than Griffiths (who should be sniffing around the 18-yard line for second balls).

#FromTheCapital
28-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Thomson should be taking the corners when he's playing - far more reliable delivery than Griffiths (who should be sniffing around the 18-yard line for second balls).

:agree:

If nothing else, it would give the opposition much more to think about as most teams usually double up on Griffiths anyway. This could free up space in the box for other players to hopefully grab a goal.

JMac
28-04-2013, 01:06 PM
I've thought this for weeks, I think the height of our players (Or lack of) is a huge disadvantage but my main concern is the delivery. It either hits their first man, or it clears everyone in the box. Maybe time to start playing shortys and try to work the ball in the box instead.

Scouse Hibee
28-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Getting on the end of things in the box isn't really his game. We get more from his delivery than we would him trying to get on the end of some ball from the likes of Wotherspoon. The likes of Henry, Bergkamp and Van Persie do or did similar.

When you can finish like Griffiths, being in the box or on the edge of it looking for the knockdown from a corner is certainly your game!

Devilstorment
28-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Corners at the other end fill me with terror every time!

Mikey
28-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Why are we so poor at these?

They spend too much time practicing throw ins :agree:

heretoday
28-04-2013, 03:46 PM

I keep saying this. It's the same with Van Persie. Why waste him taking corners?

hibee_girl
28-04-2013, 03:51 PM
I keep saying this. It's the same with Van Persie. Why waste him taking corners?

I said it too then my grandad pointed out that actually with him taking corners he's in the best place to get any balls coming out the box, like the winner against Falkirk.

vercol36
28-04-2013, 07:10 PM
I said it too then my grandad pointed out that actually with him taking corners he's in the best place to get any balls coming out the box, like the winner against Falkirk.

Yeh but only if the ball happens to end up returning in the direction of the original kick!

hibee_girl
28-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Yeh but only if the ball happens to end up returning in the direction of the original kick!

True!