PDA

View Full Version : Leigh Griffiths

DH1875
27-04-2013, 10:36 PM
I see that Celtic have given half their first team a week off and are planning on letting the rest go on a weeks holiday next week. Anyone else think it's time we wrapped Griffiths up in cotton wool, rest him for a couple of weeks or even follow suit and send Leigh of for a short break to recharge his batteries. If anything happens to him between now and the final then we really will have no chance.

KeithTheHibby
28-04-2013, 06:46 PM
I see that Celtic have given half their first team a week off and are planning on letting the rest go on a weeks holiday next week. Anyone else think it's time we wrapped Griffiths up in cotton wool, rest him for a couple of weeks or even follow suit and send Leigh of for a short break to recharge his batteries. If anything happens to him between now and the final then we really will have no chance.

Nope, what makes you think whatever Lennon does will work?

Look what happened today, they dropped a few players and got pumped.

I want us to keep playing our first team and game time given to the likes of Hanlon, Clancy, Harris and Handling.

howdenthehibby
28-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Hopefully they come back for the final still in holiday mode ,while the Hibees stay match fit and ready to go. GGTTH.

Jonnyboy
28-04-2013, 07:23 PM
No, and here's why. At the moment Leigh gets off from doing the hundreds of things expected of a new Dad x 3 currently AFAIK. If Pat gives him time off the bairns will run him ragged and he'll be knackered for the CF

Simples

Scouse Hibee
28-04-2013, 07:27 PM
Lennon trying to impress with his "look at how a big team does it" let them get on with their preparations and we'll get on with ours.

Sir David Gray
28-04-2013, 07:27 PM
Nope, what makes you think whatever Lennon does will work?

Look what happened today, they dropped a few players and got pumped.

I want us to keep playing our first team and game time given to the likes of Hanlon, Clancy, Harris and Handling.

Yep.

Fair enough, it stops you from being injured in a match leading up to the final but it can be hard to be on holiday mode and then suddenly come back in for one match, particularly one as important as a cup final.

I would play Griffiths in every match between now and the cup final, except for the derby. I would be tempted to keep him out of that one as I wouldn't put it past them to target him from the beginning to try and put him out of the final.

GlenrothesHibee
28-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Leigh is on fire just now. Its a tough one. Play him and risk an injury or burnout or rest him and risk him losing sharpnes or form. He is in the zone so to speak so id play him

leggeto
28-04-2013, 07:43 PM
Yep.

Fair enough, it stops you from being injured in a match leading up to the final but it can be hard to be on holiday mode and then suddenly come back in for one match, particularly one as important as a cup final

I would play Griffiths in every match between now and the cup final, except for the derby. I would be tempted to keep him out of that one as I wouldn't put it past them to target him from the beginning to try and put him out of the final.

cant see them doing that they are professional footallers

Sir David Gray
28-04-2013, 07:45 PM

I'm not saying they'll do it deliberately but it can happen subconsciously.

The ones that are away on holiday over the next few weeks will be away enjoying themselves with friends and family and will possibly even be sunning themselves abroad somewhere.

For them to come in from the cold for one game, having not played at all for 3-4 weeks, could be difficult, regardless of how much they might want to win the cup.

leggeto
28-04-2013, 07:56 PM

The ones that are away on holiday over the next few weeks will be away enjoying themselves with friends and family and will possibly even be sunning themselves abroad somewhere.

For them to come in from the cold for one game, having not played at all for 3-4 weeks, could be difficult, regardless of how much they might want to win the cup.

they are just cocky , lennon is a jobbie of a man,:flag: griff will defo score im thinking it might be a penalty that seals it

Viva_Palmeiras
28-04-2013, 08:13 PM

I think there was a smiley missing re professionalism ...

offshorehibby
28-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Na, Leigh's buzzing at the moment, determined to hit the 30 goal mark. Although i'd be tempted to keep him out of the derby.

3pm
28-04-2013, 08:53 PM
Nae need to copy Lennon. Griffiths could run a marathon the day before and still be ready on 26 May. Lennon done himself no favours saying the player of the year nominees won't get a game for Celtic.

No rests, no crap trips to Dublin.

Just ****in do it.

Hibercelona
28-04-2013, 11:35 PM
Did we not "rest" players and send them on holiday last season before the final?

I'd much rather we just kept doing what we're doing.

SaulGoodman
28-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Did we not "rest" players and send them on holiday last season before the final?

I'd much rather we just kept doing what we're doing.

Think the players had a holiday booked on the 19th iirc :wink:

Hibercelona
29-04-2013, 12:05 AM
Think the players had a holiday booked on the 19th iirc :wink:

They certainly seemed to think so. Or they thought they were still on holiday.

Let's just keep the momentum going this time. Although it would be nice to get results in the last 3 games to boost their confidence. I think they need it.

Haymaker
29-04-2013, 12:31 AM
We took them to spain for a training camp ahead of the 2007 final, should try that again!

Swedish hibee
29-04-2013, 02:07 AM
I see Webster was sent off. Is he back for the Derby?

I'd keep playing Leigh although worried about Tattoo boy & Co on derby day :rolleyes:

Pete
29-04-2013, 04:59 AM
Play him sparingly....maybe give him a half of each match. The truth is if he gets injured we are stuffed for the final.

Maybe we can do something outrageous in the remaining games like stick Handling and Caldwell up front as a partnership?:aok:

Killiehibbie
29-04-2013, 08:39 AM
All i've heard from any soapdodgers is how they've already won the cup, just like last season when Kilmarnock couldn't possibly win the league cup.

#FromTheCapital
29-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Play him in every game except the derby. Even though the derby is as good as a friendly certain players in that hearts squad would go out to injure griffiths or other key players, and i'm sure Gary Locke won't say anything to discourage this tactic.

Leishy1995
29-04-2013, 09:01 AM
My friend said if wolves go down his extension might be void, anyone know any different?

hibs0666
29-04-2013, 09:04 AM

Nope. The best preparation we can have is to start winning football matches. I'd be playing my best possible team in every game, not giving players time off.

hibs0666
29-04-2013, 09:05 AM
We took them to spain for a training camp ahead of the 2007 final, should try that again!

We took them to Ireland before the last final. That worked a treat right enough. :wink:

JimBHibees
29-04-2013, 01:54 PM

Really with Locke as manager and ****mers like Hamill and Stevenson, I certainly wouldnt rule it out. It is a difficult call though whether to play him in that game to be honest.

29-04-2013, 02:04 PM
With final looming closer and closer we need to be so careful, we can't afford any injuries, we need a fully fit squad if we are gonna do it on May 26th. Having said that though, we need to keep everyone match fit so game time is key. I would strongly suggest keeping the likes of Sparky, Harris and other key players away from the derby as hearts only aim in that game will be to kick lumps out of us and try cause as many injuries for us going into the final, with Sparky being their main target. Although having a derby win under our belts going into the final would be a major confidence booster, I just wouldn't risk it at all, if Sparky or any other of our main guys got injured and ruled out the final it would be a nightmare.

I would start the lad Caldwell in the derby instead of Griffiths. Wouldn't even have Sparky in the stands as I wouldn't put it past those inbred, mutated cretins to have a go at kicking lumps out of him in there either (they really are that vile!). As much as I would love us to have a full squad out at tynie and have the best chance of winning, the final is more important atm. Hearts are rank atm so who knows, maybe the young laddies could take something out the game - what a confidence booster that would be for them!

silverhibee
29-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Nope. The best preparation we can have is to start winning football matches. I'd be playing my best possible team in every game, not giving players time off.

Agree with this, but at the weekend i seen Sparky holding his knee after a challenge on him, keep him in the mood by giving him 70 mins until the final, the 20 min break each game will do him wonders and then unleash him in the final.

Aldo
29-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Agree with this, but at the weekend i seen Sparky holding his knee after a challenge on him, keep him in the mood by giving him 70 mins until the final, the 20 min break each game will do him wonders and then unleash him in the final.

This but wouldn't start him v the yams cos they will kick him to absolute bits

NAE NOOKIE
29-04-2013, 05:11 PM
For me just keep the team playing and things as normal as possible up to the final.

As for the derby .... I am sure LG will want to play as it will probably be his last ever Edinburgh derby. But I cant help thinking that the manky mob across the city will try to crock him .... in the normal course of events in football that would just be a joke or a bit of banter between rival fans. But in the case of the Yams their out of proportion hatred for us could just result in one of their players trying to make himself a Gorgie hero by taking LG out.

Not to mention the fact that short of humping the Yams in a final the next best thing would be to take the cup from the PBS to ER having beaten them on the way to winning it into the bargain.

Normally I would want our strongest team on the park in every derby .... but things aint normal.

For these reasons I would leave LG out of the derby .... maybe even Alex Harris too.

s.a.m
01-05-2013, 08:08 AM
Ronnie MacKay‏@RonnieMacKay12m (http://www.hibs.net/RonnieMacKay/status/329504601743183872)Leigh Griffiths won SunSport's online poll for Player of the Year just beating Victor Wanyama (2nd) and Kris Conmons (3rd

s.a.m
01-05-2013, 08:15 AM
From the Scotsman

:Lee Griffiths kicks Twitter after family targeted
Leigh Griffiths has quit Twitter due to threats to his family.

Published on 01/05/2013 09:02

HIBS star Leigh Griffiths has given up using Twitter because of the abuse he and his family have been receiving.
He told how he will defend his family all day long from the sick taunts that he receives on social networking sites, revealing he has struggled to put up with the disgusting insults about his three kids – Rhys, Kacie and Layla.
But he admits his major downfall has been biting back at the verbal attacks, especially on Twitter.
Griffiths, who has found the net 27 times this season, said: “My job is to score goals, so I shouldn’t be getting abuse for doing my job.” The striker has said that because of the abuse he no longer uses Twitter.
The taunts became so bad that he decided to stop following after a heartfelt chat with Pat Fenlon.
The boss was concerned it was affecting his game and could even ruin his career.
Griffiths said: “The manager pulled me aside and told me I was not going to benefit from being on Twitter.
“He didn’t want me doing stupid things, he wanted me focused on the park,” Griffiths said, adding that despite “negative headlines” he didn’t merit his “bad boy” tag.

Teo10
01-05-2013, 08:26 AM
Here is the Suns article on the above,

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4910025/Psychos-wanted-my-kid-dead.html

matty_f
01-05-2013, 08:50 AM
From the Scotsman

HIBS star Leigh Griffiths has given up using Twitter because of the abuse he and his family have been receiving.
He told how he will defend his family all day long from the sick taunts that he receives on social networking sites, revealing he has struggled to put up with the disgusting insults about his three kids – Rhys, Kacie and Layla.
But he admits his major downfall has been biting back at the verbal attacks, especially on Twitter.
Griffiths, who has found the net 27 times this season, said: “My job is to score goals, so I shouldn’t be getting abuse for doing my job.” The striker has said that because of the abuse he no longer uses Twitter.
The taunts became so bad that he decided to stop following after a heartfelt chat with Pat Fenlon.
The boss was concerned it was affecting his game and could even ruin his career.
Griffiths said: “The manager pulled me aside and told me I was not going to benefit from being on Twitter.
“He didn’t want me doing stupid things, he wanted me focused on the park,” Griffiths said, adding that despite “negative headlines” he didn’t merit his “bad boy” tag.

Some great work from the EEN proof readers there, making sure they have all bases covered for the spelling of his first name... :rolleyes:

GlenrothesHibee
01-05-2013, 12:14 PM
I dont think we have had a player like Leigh since Sauzee. He loves us as much as we love him. What a talent. I would be over the moon if he smashed the winner on the 26th and became a legend. The super leigh chant would be up there with sunshine on leith in terms of emotion

01-05-2013, 12:20 PM
From the Scotsman

Seriously disturbing and vile some of the comments that low life **** post to him on twitter. If you don't like the guy then fine but don't wish his kids dead/threaten his family/post sick vile insults etc to him. Its cowardly and pathetic. There really are some real sickening dregs in our society.

We love you Leigh, hibs legend :flag:

s.a.m
02-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Keith Downie‏@STVkeith40s (http://www.hibs.net/STVkeith/status/329909089188593665)PFA SPL Team of the Year: Randolph; Matthews, Hutchinson, Wilson, Mulgrew; Law, Wanyama, A.Shinnie; McGinn, Higdon, Griffiths.

Jonnyboy
02-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Ronnie MacKay‏@RonnieMacKay12m (http://www.hibs.net/RonnieMacKay/status/329504601743183872)Leigh Griffiths won SunSport's online poll for Player of the Year just beating Victor Wanyama (2nd) and Kris Conmons (3rd

It's a ******* conspiracy

signed

N. Lennon
Bitter and twisted ginger gobs4ite

Billy Whizz
02-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Keith Downie‏@STVkeith40s (http://www.hibs.net/STVkeith/status/329909089188593665)PFA SPL Team of the Year: Randolph; Matthews, Hutchinson, Wilson, Mulgrew; Law, Wanyama, A.Shinnie; McGinn, Higdon, Griffiths.

Is that Kelvin Wilson of Celtic? Surely not