PDA

View Full Version : Spoony

WestEndHibee
27-04-2013, 05:25 PM
When he came on he looked like the Wotherspoon of 09/10 when he broke into the team. Loads of dummies, roll overs and direct running and played a great role in the 3rd goal. He has been completely absent in games that I've seen him in recently but he doesn't get mentioned much after his good games. It got me wondering though as a huge confidence player why he seemed so relaxed? Is it true that he's signed with Sevco?

East Coast Hibe
27-04-2013, 05:29 PM
When he came on he looked like the Wotherspoon of 09/10 when he broke into the team. Loads of dummies, roll overs and direct running and played a great role in the 3rd goal. He has been completely absent in games that I've seen him in recently but he doesn't get mentioned much after his good games. It got me wondering though as a huge confidence player why he seemed so relaxed? Is it true that he's signed with Sevco?

He played really well when he came on - should have been on 15 minutes earlier though!

I have also heard he will be away at the end of the season - to Sevco

Aldo
27-04-2013, 05:31 PM
Sorry but one or two half decent games (or 30 mins) a season is not good enough IMHO.

Sorry but don't think he has done enough to merit a new contract.

clerriehibs
27-04-2013, 05:37 PM
I'd start him every week.

Sir David Gray
27-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Did well when he came on today but he's shown time after time that he doesn't do enough when he's on for 90 minutes.

Hiber-nation
27-04-2013, 05:40 PM
Did well when he came on today but he's shown time after time that he doesn't do enough when he's on for 90 minutes.

Yep, you can almost guarantee next time he starts he'll underperform and get hooked. He's got miles more ability than Handling but can't do it consistently.

Pretty Boy
27-04-2013, 05:40 PM
Thought he played well today when he came onbut it mystifies me how a young, fit professional football player can be so slow.

clerriehibs
27-04-2013, 05:52 PM

None of them do, other than the couple of stand out performers.

Other than sparky and harris, spoon is the only player i'd expect to get a cross into the box. If anyo.e else does so, i'm gobsmacked. Far more usual to see a checked run and a pass back the way from anyon else.

HibeeN
27-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Thought he played well today when he came onbut it mystifies me how a young, fit professional football player can be so slow.

Somebody near me was shouting this today after Spoony nicked the ball past Goncalves, who was caught wrong-footed by the turn, but who still managed to overtake Spoony and usher the ball out for a goal kick!

All in all though, I thought Spoony did really well when he came on. If it comes to the final and we're still in it with a similar amount of time to go, bringing him on with another performance like today would be something good to have up our sleeve! :agree:

neil7908
27-04-2013, 06:52 PM
Jury still out on Spoony for me but provided his wage demands are not too high, I would give him a 1-2 year deal as I definitely think there is a quality player in there.

This might sound a bit silly but I think Spoony is the kind of player who works best when we try and attack as a team and he has forward players around him to give him some support. Put him on the right of midfield in a 4-5-1 in a team designed to contain the opposition rather than attacked and I think he will struggle.

Today we saw him come on at a time when we had plenty of the ball, were pushing for a goal and he had support from Griffiths, Caldwell Harris and a much more attack minded central midfield of Claros and Taiwo than we have seen in games this season. In that kind of situation we will always see him at his best than part of a team being sent out 4-5-1 with the objective sometimes appearing to be just not to lose or nick a 1-0 win.

Viva_Palmeiras
27-04-2013, 06:55 PM
I think anyone spouting off about Him going to Sevco is a Celt on the wind up.

Onion
27-04-2013, 07:27 PM

DW is an annoying enigma.

IMHO Fenlon should drop him and then bring him to his first 11 for the Final. He invariably plays well when returning to the team and slowly goes off the boil over time. Can be a match changer/winner so would not rule DW out of being a Cup hero. Good game today.

monktonharp
27-04-2013, 07:51 PM
DW is an annoying enigma.

IMHO Fenlon should drop him and then bring him to his first 11 for the Final. He invariably plays well when returning to the team and slowly goes off the boil over time. Can be a match changer/winner so would not rule DW out of being a Cup hero. Good game today.sorry to disagree. I don't think he can perform well, for at least another 6 games, so that rules him out until next season. :yawn:

mentalhibee
27-04-2013, 07:55 PM
On form he's one of our only creative players....he is a must for the cup final squad!

Jones28
27-04-2013, 09:31 PM
I think he should be in the squad for the cup final certainly

Scouse Hibee
27-04-2013, 09:32 PM
He came on for six minutes or so and done well, hardly means he's back to his best now does it. Well worth a place on the bench, I just wish he could produce the goods consistently.

clerriehibs
28-04-2013, 09:49 AM
He came on for six minutes or so and done well, hardly means he's back to his best now does it. Well worth a place on the bench, I just wish he could produce the goods consistently.

:troll:

Ell_Chrisso
28-04-2013, 10:06 AM
I can confirm he definitely isn't off to Sevco for now, but has had an offer. Still no contract offer from Hibs at this point and his confidence
Is starting to fall because of it. Anytime he is dropped by Fenlon there is never any discussion from Fenlon why etc. But he won't confront the manager on any of that or where his future lies.

SMAXXA
28-04-2013, 10:23 AM
I can confirm he definitely isn't off to Sevco for now, but has had an offer. Still no contract offer from Hibs at this point and his confidence
Is starting to fall because of it. Anytime he is dropped by Fenlon there is never any discussion from Fenlon why etc. But he won't confront the manager on any of that or where his future lies.

Its all Fenlons fault, poor lad he has confidence issues

WestEndHibee
28-04-2013, 10:23 AM

This is more the answer I was looking for. I didn't want to start another debate about is he isn't he good enough. It was clear to see yesterday that he is good enough on his day but we seem to be seeing it less often. Its a bit of a catch 22 situation where he doesn't play well because of low confidence then Hibs don't play him because he isn't performing, then his confidence drops again... Are there not sports psychologists that can help with things like positive reinforcement? Can he not go to Fenlon's office and bring it up with him?

Beefster
28-04-2013, 10:25 AM

I thought his confidence was falling because of the fans?

The Voice Of Reason
28-04-2013, 10:30 AM
I thought his confidence was falling because of the fans?

:faf:

Aye, all these "outrageous" posts on here are affecting his confidence !!!

Please let it be true that he is off to Sevco :pray:

cabbageandribs1875
28-04-2013, 10:31 AM
never ever in the history of 'confidence' players have i noticed one player with the continuous excu...,ermmm title of being a 'confidence' player than oor spoonster :confused:

Viva_Palmeiras
28-04-2013, 10:38 AM

Doesn't he have an agent?

LioNeilMessi
28-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Yesterday at half time he kept to himself and didn't do much in the way of warming up.. Looked like he was either sulking or had his long term plans sorted away from ER. But then he was surprisingly subbed on and played with real determination and ambition like he was trying to prove himself either to PF or another team. So now I'm confused.:greengrin

FWIW I would rather he stayed another year. Since it looks like we'll have a few players to replace at the end of the season, Spoony will most likely have more talent than anyone we can afford to come in.

Hermit Crab
28-04-2013, 10:39 AM

Sorry mate no he didn't. Opinions eh.

Winston Ingram
28-04-2013, 10:44 AM

Couldn't agree more. Should have been on earlier:agree:

Viva_Palmeiras
28-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Yesterday at half time he kept to himself and didn't do much in the way of warming up.. Looked like he was either sulking or had his long term plans sorted away from ER. But then he was surprisingly subbed on and played with real determination and ambition like he was trying to prove himself either to PF or another team. So now I'm confused.:greengrin

FWIW I would rather he stayed another year. Since it looks like we'll have a few players to replace at the end of the season, Spoony will most likely have more talent than anyone we can afford to come in.
Arms and legs conspiracy - nice. Perhaps we need a page for this running up to the final?

Wotherspiniesta
28-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Thought he done well when he came on and did great to set up another goal. Currently, he's a much better option from the bench than Done or Cairney. Hopefully the spell on the bench/sidelines has driven him to fight for his place.

I like Handling as a player. Next few weeks will be interesting to see who wants that starting shirt for the final.

Scouse Hibee
28-04-2013, 10:56 AM
:troll:

:zzzzz!:

Scouse Hibee
28-04-2013, 10:58 AM
I'd start him every week.

Thank **** you don't pick the team then!

clerriehibs
28-04-2013, 11:04 AM

Thought you were asleep

The Voice Of Reason
28-04-2013, 11:04 AM

:faf: :top marks

MWHIBBIES
28-04-2013, 11:08 AM
Sorry but one or two half decent games (or 30 mins) a season is not good enough IMHO.

Sorry but don't think he has done enough to merit a new contract.Except he has had plenty more good games than that this season.

Bishop Hibee
28-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Spoony is a better player than Cairney or Done. He'll be in the 16 for the final and has a great chance of starting if he does well in the next 3 games.

As for him leaving or not, if he signs a year contract fair enough, if not I won't lose any sleep but thanks for the memories especially your winner v Hertz this season.

bingo70
28-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Wasn't there yesterday so can't comment on yesterdays performance but imo he's not good enough. Pish far too often and even when he's having one of his better games he's still no that good.

cad
28-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Apart fi Sparky and Williams all the jerseys should be up for grabs, if you aint got one you should be asking yourself questions

WestEndHibee
28-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Sorry mate no he didn't. Opinions eh.

Opinions indeed. Funny how some people's opinions can change yet with others once they're ingrained they won't be altered a jot. I've been a critic of Wotherspoon when he's been absent yet if it wasn't for him we'd be in meltdown over a 3-2 loss at home other than a 3-3 draw of which the last goal he set up with a great feigned shot. When I go to see a bottom six Hibs I don't care too much about the result, I want to see play that excites me and gets me off my seat. That's what spoony did for his short cameo yesterday.

blackpoolhibs
28-04-2013, 11:57 AM

You got all that from the way he warmed up? :confused:

WestEndHibee
28-04-2013, 12:00 PM

Maybe LioNeil is the psychologist DW needs!

Viva_Palmeiras
28-04-2013, 12:01 PM
The ability to spot a player, Insights into the mind of a player and tic-tacs know no bounds here... :wink:

LioNeilMessi
28-04-2013, 12:23 PM

Well he spent half the period taking photos with bairns on the sideline. A nice touch from him but it didn't seem like he had any plans to come on. I don't know, maybe that's what they all do at half time and I'm just too caught up in the HT entertainment to notice usually :greengrin.

blackpoolhibs
28-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Well he spent half the period taking photos with bairns on the sideline. A nice touch from him but it didn't seem like he had any plans to come on. I don't know, maybe that's what they all do at half time and I'm just too caught up in the HT entertainment to notice usually :greengrin.

Well that would appear to rule out sulking. :wink:

HibernianJK
28-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Every time spoony comes off the bench he makes an impact. Then every time he gets another chance from the start it doesn't look like he's interested. Needs to buck up his ideas if he was to cement a starting place again.

Www1875hfc
28-04-2013, 03:55 PM

Fair play to him for doing so.

monktonharp
28-04-2013, 09:23 PM

what a crop of absolute keek. punt him, and do it sharpish! he gets his chance many times, but doesnae dae it ! how long to we persevere with someone like him? I've had enough of this crap, get him tae France!

monktonharp
28-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Except he has had plenty more good games than that this season.pish

monktonharp
28-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Apart fi Sparky and Williams all the jerseys should be up for grabs, if you aint got one you should be asking yourself questionsaye, agree but has he EVER asked himself that question? dinnae think so.

frazeHFC
28-04-2013, 09:29 PM
pish

He has, start of the season he had loads of good performances, looked his old self. Him, Doyle and Griffiths were tearing teams apart up until November time.

monktonharp
28-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Did well when he came on today but he's shown time after time that he doesn't do enough when he's on for 90 minutes.alright, I could not make the game yesterday. but please, can you explain exactly what he did yesterday that makes you think was so good? difficult to come on as a sub, I agree but do expand! this guy just does not do it, for me and I am just an ordinary Hibernian fan like maist folk on here. he made a pass, which eventually led to our 2nd/3rd goal, is that correct? big f/kin deal. that's the kind of thing i'd expect from someone who is paid to do that sort of stuff. he has had numerous opportunities to strut his stuff, and we all know he has an inbuilt style of play, with a kind of style that can turn opposing players outside-in, but he lacks the temprement to focous on a game for the full 90 mins, which is most annoying!. for that reason, I'd be happy enough to see him got rid off.sorry Spoony, nowt personal but you just cannae cut the mustard when it comes to being a team player, in a team that badly needs triers.

monktonharp
28-04-2013, 09:58 PM
He has, start of the season he had loads of good performances, looked his old self. Him, Doyle and Griffiths were tearing teams apart up until November time.his old self? come on, he's a young man that should be bursting through and declaring his intentions. he just cant do it on a regular basis. he's been absolutely fantastic , in flashes throughout his young career but should be brushing aside some of the other players around him. he hasnae, because he seems to lack a certain will to win. Hibs badly need p[layers with a will to win, and also rans are no f/kin good.I'm totally fed up listening to fans accepting these kind of half hearted performances., we need winners, but above all we need triers!!!

hibee_nation
28-04-2013, 10:31 PM
I like spoony, hope he is in the squad for the final and gets a medal.

Moon unit
28-04-2013, 10:34 PM

Fair play to him for doing so.
Just wish folk would lay off Spoony,good young player who has taken a dip in form- has a lot to offer especially when encouraged to go forward!

WestEndHibee
28-04-2013, 11:06 PM
his old self? come on, he's a young man that should be bursting through and declaring his intentions. he just cant do it on a regular basis. he's been absolutely fantastic , in flashes throughout his young career but should be brushing aside some of the other players around him. he hasnae, because he seems to lack a certain will to win. Hibs badly need p[layers with a will to win, and also rans are no f/kin good.I'm totally fed up listening to fans accepting these kind of half hearted performances., we need winners, but above all we need triers!!!

You're really doing well on this one aren't you? I think that because you missed the game and completely missed the jist of this thread then you should probably save your slagging of Wotherspoon until the next thread that actually asks if he is good enough. An interesting aside is that DW haters ALWAYS seem to miss his good games, this could either be that they don't head along much or maybe there's some correlation and they're continually berating him for any input he has and it puts him off his game?

I'm by no means a Wotherspoon lover but I can give him credit when he does well. I can also understand that putting down one of our players while he's on the pitch is generally not going to end well for either party.

WestEndHibee
28-04-2013, 11:08 PM
what a crop of absolute keek. punt him, and do it sharpish! he gets his chance many times, but doesnae dae it ! how long to we persevere with someone like him? I've had enough of this crap, get him tae France!

As said above, you missed the game, therefore you don't have a clue if it was keek or not.

MWHIBBIES
29-04-2013, 12:07 AM
pishSo you are saying he hasn't had more than 1 or 2 half decent games this season?

Okay, Yesterday, Inverness home (2-2 when he scored Volly) Motherwell away and Killie cup game. 4 examples I didn't even have to think hard to come up with.

SMAXXA
29-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Just wish folk would lay off Spoony,good young player who has taken a dip in form- has a lot to offer especially when encouraged to go forward!

I think the problem is its not so much a dip in form its more a peak in form at points this season, as for the last couple of years its been a general dip in consistently below par performances. To be fair he had some good games in the first couple of months of the season and showed the ability he has, problem is it goes back to the main issue, he doesn't show it enough and that is unacceptable for a player who's been around for a good few years now. I don't believe he is being offered another contract and he will leave at the end of the season.

Aldo
29-04-2013, 09:52 AM
I think the problem is its not so much a dip in form its more a peak in form at points this season, as for the last couple of years its been a general dip in consistently below par performances. To be fair he had some good games in the first couple of months of the season and showed the ability he has, problem is it goes back to the main issue, he doesn't show it enough and that is unacceptable for a player who's been around for a good few years now. I don't believe he is being offered another contract and he will leave at the end of the season.

Agree with this. DW problem is consistency or lack of it. He should be able to play at a decent level week in week out but for me hides in games.

Like you say he's away at end of season freeing up wages for PF to bring someone else in.