PDA

View Full Version : One man team

Stringer
27-04-2013, 04:16 PM
I hate people saying this, they understand nothing about football. The team is set up for Griffiths to be successful. Like when Torres was at Liverpool, and Ronaldo at Real.

frazeHFC
27-04-2013, 04:19 PM
The statement does annoy me at times like Killie away in the cup, as it was a good team performance. However there are some games where without him we wouldn't have won/drawn, and its scary to think how we would do without him.

St Mirren must hate the sight of him by now, 7 goals against them this season. :greengrin

Stringer
27-04-2013, 04:23 PM
The statement does annoy me at times like Killie away in the cup, as it was a good team performance. However there are some games where without him we wouldn't have won/drawn, and its scary to think how we would do without him.

St Mirren must hate the sight of him by now, 7 goals against them this season. :greengrin

I would say Williams has been our best player during the cup run!

Elephant Stone
27-04-2013, 04:24 PM
I love it, nothing but utter jealousy.

If you take a player who is near enough the top goal scorer in the league out of a team, no matter what team, then the team would be much worse off.

Shame he is in our team, isn't it?

:giruy::giruy::giruy::giruy:

WestEndHibee
27-04-2013, 05:14 PM
I get the same annoyance out of this. Read an article in fourfourtwo recently about one man teams and it said that all the best teams are now building their team to focus on the best player. Spurs with Bale, Liverpool with Suarez, Real with Ronaldo, Barca with Messi etc. If you've got the player and he stays fit all season then it would be stupid not to play everything through him and be a "one man team".

Aldo
27-04-2013, 05:25 PM
If they are going to say that sort of crap then we are a 2 man team... With Ben Williams having an excellent season IMHO.

Don't really care what others think.

andy1875
27-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Anyone who calls Hibs a one man team clearly don't go to ER.

Yes, Sparky's goals have been invaluable but Claros & Williams have been outstanding this year as well.

We're a 3 man team :greengrin

lord bunberry
27-04-2013, 05:45 PM
It's not hard to see why people would say we're a one man team as griffiths is head and shoulders above anyone else on the park. Wolves letting us keep him must go down as one of the worst decisions in history

Aldo
27-04-2013, 05:46 PM
It's not hard to see why people would say we're a one man team as griffiths is head and shoulders above anyone else on the park. Wolves letting us keep him must go down as one of the worst decisions in history

The problem will have is finding someone to fill his boots next season mate cos I can guarantee you one thing Leigh Griffiths will not be at ER next season. ( unless he take a big pay cut)

Sir David Gray
27-04-2013, 05:47 PM

:agree: Especially when they're now almost guaranteed to be relegated to League One.

Stringer
27-04-2013, 05:56 PM
The problem will have is finding someone to fill his boots next season mate cos I can guarantee you one thing Leigh Griffiths will not be at ER next season. ( unless he take a big pay cut)

We need a striker to replace him, obviously we won't find one his standard.

But if we sort out the defence the new striker won't have to score loads to keep us in games.

lyonhibs
27-04-2013, 06:27 PM
I think its safe to say that Sparky, with his workrate and one-off left foot makes our team work, rather than some cunning set up that is a well oiled machine, tailored to his game.

Unlike the other teams mentioned, Sparky is the one shining light in a sea of mediocrity (with a couple of exceptions). Suarez, Messi, CR7 etc are the absolute standouts in teams and squads that are hoaching with good/excellent players.

Could we lose Sparky for 10 games and then go away from home the next game and hit in 6 goals? I think not.

We are too reliant on Sparky, I'm just glad he is having a stormer of a season. Bailing out the pranksters at the back time and again IMO.

Stringer
27-04-2013, 06:39 PM
I think its safe to say that Sparky, with his workrate and one-off left foot makes our team work, rather than some cunning set up that is a well oiled machine, tailored to his game.

Unlike the other teams mentioned, Sparky is the one shining light in a sea of mediocrity (with a couple of exceptions). Suarez, Messi, CR7 etc are the absolute standouts in teams and squads that are hoaching with good/excellent players.

Could we lose Sparky for 10 games and then go away from home the next game and hit in 6 goals? I think not.

We are too reliant on Sparky, I'm just glad he is having a stormer of a season. Bailing out the pranksters at the back time and again IMO.

We are too reliant on him. But we won't need a 20 + goalscorer next season if we just buy a couple of decent defenders. McPake is an imposter.

lord bunberry
27-04-2013, 06:53 PM

Unfortunately i have to agree with you but he's still here now and while he's still here we've got a chance in any game including the cup final

davhibby
27-04-2013, 07:50 PM
If we sign someone to create from the midfield then we wouldn't need someone with as much ability up front, just someone who can score

Jones28
27-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Better being a one man team than a team of non-entities!

sesoim
27-04-2013, 10:22 PM
I hate people saying this, they understand nothing about football. The team is set up for Griffiths to be successful. Like when Torres was at Liverpool, and Ronaldo at Real.

Right, I agree to some degree - Blackburn did the same in the 90s and won the League with Blackburn. But, frankly, if Griffiths got injured, what would we do? Have we anyone who could be a straight replacement? Would our midfield start getting forward more and help out with the goalscoring? We only have one natural goalscorer on our whole squad, which is ridiculous.

Add this to the fact that Fenlon has failed to sort our defence, and has signed loads of similar non-goalscoring midfielders, and its no wonder our league record has been so poor this season. If you took Griffiths out our squad, we would have been relegated this season. I have seen nothing to suggest that Fenlon could have came up with a plan b if Griffiths hadn't stayed.

Northernhibee
27-04-2013, 10:27 PM
Right, I agree to some degree - Blackburn did the same in the 90s and won the League with Blackburn. But, frankly, if Griffiths got injured, what would we do? Have we anyone who could be a straight replacement? Would our midfield start getting forward more and help out with the goalscoring? We only have one natural goalscorer on our whole squad, which is ridiculous.

Add this to the fact that Fenlon has failed to sort our defence, and has signed loads of similar non-goalscoring midfielders, and its no wonder our league record has been so poor this season. If you took Griffiths out our squad, we would have been relegated this season. I have seen nothing to suggest that Fenlon could have came up with a plan b if Griffiths hadn't stayed.

:yawn2: :zzzzz!:

If those two decisions against Dundee United and Hearts had gone our way we'd be top six; we also ditched a lot of players in the summer and only recruited players that would do a job in the team and Kuqi so we've not had the greatest squad depth.

Amazing how those dropped four points are forgotten in a good old bit of moaning about Fenlon.

Onceinawhile
27-04-2013, 10:32 PM
:yawn2: :zzzzz!:

If those two decisions against Dundee United and Hearts had gone our way we'd be top six; we also ditched a lot of players in the summer and only recruited players that would do a job in the team and Kuqi so we've not had the greatest squad depth.

Amazing how those dropped four points are forgotten in a good old bit of moaning about Fenlon.

But what if Dundee united hadnt had a goal wrongly disallowed at easter road when we beat them 2-1? We failed ourselves not he referees. Our squad depth is minging, unless handling / Caldwell can improve by 2/3 x next year we are struggling. Lost 35 goals between doyler and sparky for next season.

Northernhibee
27-04-2013, 10:38 PM
But what if Dundee united hadnt had a goal wrongly disallowed at easter road when we beat them 2-1? We failed ourselves not he referees. Our squad depth is minging, unless handling / Caldwell can improve by 2/3 x next year we are struggling. Lost 35 goals between doyler and sparky for next season.

To be honest I think we can be justified in having a good old whine about the amount of refereeing decisions that have gone against us this year; Tattoo Man's two footed lunge in the derby not being picked up by the ref when it was a blatant red and others like that.

The main point is that wins over Dundee United away and a derby win would have provided momentum. In such a close league it's small decisions like that which decide league positions.

Interesting to see people have decided we're struggling next season already. Personally, I think we've got plenty to look forward to.

DH1875
27-04-2013, 10:49 PM
Hate to break it to you guy's but if there's any such thing as a one man team, then we are it. Mark my words, IF Griffiths wasn't at ER this season we'd be in the midst of a relegation battle. And would anyone give us as much as a snith in the final without him?

Stringer
27-04-2013, 11:01 PM
Hate to break it to you guy's but if there's any such thing as a one man team, then we are it. Mark my words, IF Griffiths wasn't at ER this season we'd be in the midst of a relegation battle. And would anyone give us as much as a snith in the final without him?

I'll bite.

Leigh missed a heap of chances in the semi, half of his set pieces didn't make it beyond the first man. He turned up in extra time, his first goal was a tap in, Harris did all the work.

CallumLaidlaw
27-04-2013, 11:52 PM
Interesting wee article on the BBC today -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22285545

Man U, Man C, Tottenham, Fulham and Villa would see huge reductions in point without their "main men".