PDA

View Full Version : Ross Caldwell

Pray4Marc
26-04-2013, 08:31 PM
I think it would be beneficial to all parties if Ross got a start tomorrow, there is talent there but currently still a bit raw. Rest either Doyle or Leigh IMO give the lad a chance.

JMac
26-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Agree in that we shoul play him but I don't know where he would go, Doyle doesn't need a rest as he's barely played, and without Leigh, I would question our chances of a win

lord bunberry
26-04-2013, 08:37 PM
I think it would be beneficial to all parties if Ross got a start tomorrow, there is talent there but currently still a bit raw. Rest either Doyle or Leigh IMO give the lad a chance.

I think he will go with his strongest 11 again. People may look at these games as meaningless but if we don't win the cup attention will turn back to our league position. If we were to finish 10th or 11th then that would be used as a stick to beat fenlon with and he knows it

Pray4Marc
26-04-2013, 08:44 PM
I think he will go with his strongest 11 again. People may look at these games as meaningless but if we don't win the cup attention will turn back to our league position. If we were to finish 10th or 11th then that would be used as a stick to beat fenlon with and he knows it

Totally agree, he is right in theory playing all these games with the best 11. I just feel when Ross has been used it, it has been at times where we are holding onto something and he is being used to chase and hassle the oppositions defense when they are in possession. Grabbing his first goal could spark him into life!.

WeeCraigy
26-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Agree in that we shoul play him but I don't know where he would go, Doyle doesn't need a rest as he's barely played, and without Leigh, I would question our chances of a win

Exactly, he's bagged quite a few against the buddies this season

monktonharp
26-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Exactly, he's bagged quite a few against the buddies this seasonI'm a bit worried that he's up against that thug Goodwin.

Col2
26-04-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm a bit worried that he's up against that thug Goodwin.

Goodwin suspended as he was sent off last weekend.

18/03/07
26-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Sorry,a big no from me,from what i hear a bit like K.Byrne, a billy big time,Stick with Danny Handling(up front not on wing)

monktonharp
26-04-2013, 09:33 PM
Goodwin suspended as he was sent off last weekend.

that's goodnews! thug of the 1st degree.

R'Albin
26-04-2013, 09:33 PM
I'm a bit of a Caldwell fanboy, but I think Doyle and Leigh both need to keep playing. Doyle's got a bit of momentum going from the Semi final goal, and Leigh's still in fantastic form.

monktonharp
26-04-2013, 09:35 PM
Sorry,a big no from me,from what i hear a bit like K.Byrne, a billy big time,Stick with Danny Handling(up front not on wing)like to see mair o' Handling too. he's looked the part,certainly done well in the semi. Caldwell never got into the game much, on Monday imho.

Stringer
26-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Handling, Harris and Caldwell need regular games together. They should be our front three for next season. The success of borussia dortmund is the young lads playing together, learning passing patterns.

Next season

Harris -------- Caldwell ----------Handling

------------- --??????? (New striker)

Tynie01011973
26-04-2013, 09:44 PM
I'm a bit of a Caldwell fanboy, but I think Doyle and Leigh both need to keep playing. Doyle's got a bit of momentum going from the Semi final goal, and Leigh's still in fantastic form.

Agree, we need to keep playing our strongest team up to the Final - although against the Yams we need to 'protect' certain players.

Think the game at the PBS is the perfect oppotunity to rest Griffiths and Doyle and let Caldwell and Handling have the oppotunity to play 90 minutes.

GGTTH

:flag:

macd123
27-04-2013, 01:28 AM
Must admit i m a bit concerned from what i ve seen so far. Definitely got the physique but haven't seen technical ability yet or a shot on target. Hopefully i m wrong, i know he s young.

blackpoolhibs
27-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Handling, Harris and Caldwell need regular games together. They should be our front three for next season. The success of borussia dortmund is the young lads playing together, learning passing patterns.

Next season

Harris -------- Caldwell ----------Handling

------------- --??????? (New striker)

I'm in, although i don't know how we will afford them?

Onceinawhile
27-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Must admit i m a bit concerned from what i ve seen so far. Definitely got the physique but haven't seen technical ability yet or a shot on target. Hopefully i m wrong, i know he s young.

I've watched him for the u-20s a few times this season and he runs the channels well and can hold the ball up well. He's scored quite a few goals, but from what I've seen should have had more. I suppose we won't really know til he gets a run, and I'd rather fins out now if he's not going to make it than 1/2 way through next season.

truehibernian
27-04-2013, 12:36 PM
I've watched him for the u-20s a few times this season and he runs the channels well and can hold the ball up well. He's scored quite a few goals, but from what I've seen should have had more. I suppose we won't really know til he gets a run, and I'd rather fins out now if he's not going to make it than 1/2 way through next season.

That's actually a good assessment of him this year antwerp :agree: one thing abut him, he has a good attitude and never lets his head drop - and he listens. You're right about his goal tally though - he could and should have had more this year.

keep the faith
27-04-2013, 12:45 PM
I dont see anything to suggest caldwell is good enough for this level based on his first team appearances. Hopefully im proved wrong though, as his record is very good at U20.

whiskyhibby
27-04-2013, 01:51 PM
He is on the bench today

R'Albin
27-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Delighted for him. What was the goal like?

Twiglet
27-04-2013, 04:14 PM

Very cool. Handling made a run and he just stood still waiting . Handling passed, and cool as you like Caldwell put in into the net.

frazeHFC
27-04-2013, 04:15 PM

I wasn't there so have no idea but BBC says it was a shot from the edge of the penalty area to the bottom left corner of the goal, assist from Handling. I have no idea what it was like but thats the BBC view on it. :agree:

Really glad he has got a goal and obviously made an impact on the game scoring a minute after coming on. Not been overly impressed with him in games this season but as folk say he comes on in tricky situations such as chasing a goal or holding a lead late on......hoping we hear that today he done well and it can kick-start him, cos from the U20s we hear good things of him.

R'Albin
27-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Very cool. Handling made a run and he just stood still waiting . Handling passed, and cool as you like Caldwell put in into the net.

I wasn't there so have no idea but BBC says it was a shot from the edge of the penalty area to the bottom left corner of the goal, assist from Handling. I have no idea what it was like but thats the BBC view on it. :agree:

Good stuff, especially Handling getting the assist. :thumbsup:

HibeeN
27-04-2013, 04:46 PM
He did well! Could have easily fluffed it, especially seeing as he had just come on, but was really composed and finished it well. Thought his all-round play was decent too and you can tell he is used to playing with Harris and Handling; they link up well together.

He's not been given enough time in other games to really impose himself or make an impact. I thought today was different and hope he'll go on to do well!

Heisenberg
27-04-2013, 04:47 PM
It's great to have these young guys come in and actually take people on with confidence. Caldwell came on and did what Doyle should've done with at least two of his shots previously. Great finish and I hope he gets his chance next week.

27-04-2013, 04:57 PM
With Sparky most likely away in the summer its great to see a young striker coming through the ranks that looks like he will develop into a decent player. Give him more game time, i'm sure his confidence will be very much boosted after todays goal which btw was a very good one!

Well done Ross, keep working hard son and the rewards will come!

IWasThere2016
27-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Well done RC :thumbsup:

WestEndHibee
27-04-2013, 05:18 PM
almost balotelli-esque noncelebration too. a great low powerful finish into the bottom left had a couple of good moments when he showed good strength against the St Mirren defenders too.

Liams
27-04-2013, 05:55 PM
The future is loooking a wee bit better in terms of youth

ancient hibee
27-04-2013, 06:02 PM
Doyle should have had 3-Caldwell scores after 3 minutes on the park.

27-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Agree, we need to keep playing our strongest team up to the Final - although against the Yams we need to 'protect' certain players.

Think the game at the PBS is the perfect oppotunity to rest Griffiths and Doyle and let Caldwell and Handling have the oppotunity to play 90 minutes.

GGTTH

:flag:

I agree, hearts more than they usually do will just be aiming to kick lumps out of us and cause as many injuries as possible, Sparky being their main target! We can't afford any injuries that close to the final so I wouldn't play sparky or harris or any of our key men.

That might be the biggest fixture on their calendar but we have bigger things to focus on!

TomoHFC
27-04-2013, 06:26 PM
Him on sparky upfront against killie next week

Onion
27-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Great to see Caldwell get his goal today, and even more interesting to see his reaction. Young, immature players normally get carried away when scoring for the first team. With C there was none of that. Reminded me of the same determined, self-assured response we used to get from Deek and Gary when they first broke into the team. Very impressive.

JimBHibees
27-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Great to see Caldwell get his goal today, and even more interesting to see his reaction. Young, immature players normally get carried away when scoring for the first team. With C there was none of that. Reminded me of the same determined, self-assured response we used to get from Deek and Gary when they first broke into the team. Very impressive.

Reminds me very much of GOC in physique and manner and also the way he rapped the ball into the net. Great finish and he needs to work on aspects of his game such as holding the ball up however very promising to me and would like to see him get a start or two before the end of the season.

stoneyburn hibs
27-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Him on sparky upfront against killie next week

Agree, Doyle had at least 4 decent chances, Caldwell should get a run

HibernianJK
28-04-2013, 11:38 AM
From what I've heard from a couple boys in the youth set up the relationship him and handling have up front for the u-20s is brilliant. Would like to see that transferred to the first team

Moon unit
28-04-2013, 10:40 PM
From what I've heard from a couple boys in the youth set up the relationship him and handling have up front for the u-20s is brilliant. Would like to see that transferred to the first team
Especially against the Yams...give them the ultimate challenge, they will gain great experience in a game like this!

LeighLoyal
28-04-2013, 11:00 PM
It was an assured finish. I'd play him in the games left, give him the chance with Handling and the exciting Harris.

Paisley Hibby
29-04-2013, 07:53 AM
I was at the game with with some ex hibs players (from a long time ago). They don't rate him. And before anybody asks - no, I'm not saying who they were. I hope they are wrong but I doubt it.

HibeeN
29-04-2013, 08:22 AM
I was at the game with with some ex hibs players (from a long time ago). They don't rate him. And before anybody asks - no, I'm not saying who they were. I hope they are wrong but I doubt it.

Have they seen him in the u20s or just basing their opinions on 25 minutes on Sat and the few minutes here and there he's had previously? Not having a go, just curious.

SMAXXA
29-04-2013, 09:18 AM

To be honest and I may be in the minority here but I've not been impressed with him that much either, looks clumsy at times. To be fair you could probably put this down to nerves when coming off the bench because the game he did start (Kili or inverness I think) I thought he did quite well. He's a young lad and we need to be patient with him, maybe playing him with Handling and Harris will bring out more from him.

WestEndHibee
29-04-2013, 10:46 AM
To be honest and I may be in the minority here but I've not been impressed with him that much either, looks clumsy at times. To be fair you could probably put this down to nerves when coming off the bench because the game he did start (Kili or inverness I think) I thought he did quite well. He's a young lad and we need to be patient with him, maybe playing him with Handling and Harris will bring out more from him.

Yeh I've thought the same thing a couple of times when he came on (I haven't seen any u20s though). But That finish on Saturday though was cool calm and collected and, when you consider he had only entered the game about a minute before, shows he has a strikers instinct. You never really know how good a player is until he's given a run in the first team though.

Wilson
29-04-2013, 10:58 AM

To be honest I don't care who they are. An ex-player might have a little more insight than your average punter but at the end of the day all they have is just another opinion. Is their opinion any more valid than Pat Fenlon's or anybody else who are doing their damndest to bring the boy on? I wouldn't have thought so.

The fact is he is getting game time where seemingly better prospects have fallen by the wayside over the years. Someone obviously rates him and it is within his own hands to heed the guidance he is given and make the best of his opportuinity.

Hamish
29-04-2013, 12:14 PM
I remember watching Kenny Miller when he started to get a run in the first team and not being impressed at all.

A lot of youngsters don't hit the ground running and take more than a few games to adjust to the step up. Give the laddie time.

hibeemikey21
30-04-2013, 07:55 AM

Pele always argues that neymar is better than messi. Ex-pro, no matter how good, means nothing IMO. An opinion is an opinion. I wouldn't be so hasty as to write Caldwell off just yet.

blackpoolhibs
30-04-2013, 09:05 AM
Its always difficult coming on with 15-20 minutes to go in a game, i remember him starting against Inverness and being very pleased with his performance.

He's different to what we have, in that he's a decent size and can put himself about and can clearly finish. He has a chance. :thumbsup:

Brightside
01-05-2013, 07:06 AM
Another couple of goals last night. Fenlon needs to give him chance prior to the Cup Final. No point in playing Doyle.

macca70
01-05-2013, 07:24 AM
Another couple of goals last night. Fenlon needs to give him chance prior to the Cup Final. No point in playing Doyle.

They were 2 penalties.

I'm not a fan of Doyle but can't see Caldwell offering anything in a Final against Celtic, even with a couple 1st team games under his belt between now and end of the season.

Jones28
01-05-2013, 08:59 AM

I thought Doyle was the difference in the semi.

Brightside
01-05-2013, 09:17 AM
Even a blind squirrel will find the odd nut. Doyle is shocking - had a decent game in the semi. But the bottom line is he gets 3 or 4 chances in most games and struggles to even connect with them! Caldwell got one chance when he came on and scored. Give the boy a run and lets see what he can do.

Aldo
01-05-2013, 09:19 AM
Even a blind squirrel will find the odd nut. Doyle is shocking - had a decent game in the semi. But the bottom line is he gets 3 or 4 chances in most games and struggles to even connect with them! Caldwell got one chance when he came on and scored. Give the boy a run and lets see what he can do.

I think Doyle is a decent squad player but misses too many chances. I will say ghat if Leigh was in those positions then there is a good chance he would score.

My concern is that if Doyle gets in those positions against Smellic will his bottle crash. We defo need to take our chances against them.

Meant to say... Give Caldwell a chance and see what happens. Will do his confident the work if good IMHO.