Pete
26-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Pitch looks good.

Hibernia Na Eir
26-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Dundee Hibs for me.

Pete
26-04-2013, 07:20 PM
I wish they'd just give up with this bongo-bongo language stuff. What's the point?

iwasthere1972
26-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Better watching Leicester v Watford on Sky 1HD. Watford just scored two goals before HT. 2-0 Watford.

stoneyburn hibs
26-04-2013, 07:39 PM
I wish they'd just give up with this bongo-bongo language stuff. What's the point?

Get with the programme, post 18th sep, 2014

cabbageandribs1875
26-04-2013, 08:02 PM
have to say ivan appeared to make a bit of a meal about that tackle that got Douglas sent off

BarneyK
26-04-2013, 08:05 PM
have to say ivan appeared to make a bit of a meal about that tackle that got Douglas sent off

Not sure how much contact was made but it was a nasty challenge.

cabbageandribs1875
26-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Not sure how much contact was made but it was a nasty challenge.

i've only watched a couple of replays and thought at first he caught ivan with his studs, but my quick Gaelic translation thinks otherwise :greengrin

Att: 3,183

Speedway
26-04-2013, 08:11 PM
i've only watched a couple of replays and thought at first he caught ivan with his studs, but my quick Gaelic translation thinks otherwise :greengrin

Att: 3,183

County are decent value for money tonight.

Geo_1875
26-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Raises a couple of questions. How do clubs survive with such small crowds? And how pish are Dundee United?

cabbageandribs1875
26-04-2013, 08:27 PM
County are decent value for money tonight.

ivan thought that tackle was hard but fair then said 'i'm a winger, i'm gonna go down'

cabbageandribs1875
26-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Raises a couple of questions. How do clubs survive with such small crowds? And how pish are Dundee United?

just shows you that no two games are the same, i thought they played very well against sellick in the SF, then not a lot to offer tonight

PatHead
26-04-2013, 08:35 PM
D Utd were poor last week against Motherwell. Don't think they are any better than us

Jim44
26-04-2013, 08:42 PM

I couldn't give a toss about the quality of D Utd., but to the first question I would add, ' ...... and still manage to keep a 'big' club like us in their back pocket.'

monktonharp
26-04-2013, 09:27 PM
I wish they'd just give up with this bongo-bongo language stuff. What's the point?there are quite a few in Scotland, and certainly in the Highlands that understand what it's all about, don't you know.those people that swarmed all over the place wearing redcoats all those years ago, tried to snuff it oot,. maybe to appease people like you.

IWasThere2016
26-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Another goal for wee Ivan. Braw to see the Arabs pumped again!

Stringer
26-04-2013, 09:49 PM
What was Ivan's transfer fee?

Respect to the guy. He is doing well up there. Also he didn't celebrate when he scored against us.:thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
26-04-2013, 09:56 PM
there are quite a few in Scotland, and certainly in the Highlands that understand what it's all about, don't you know.those people that swarmed all over the place wearing redcoats all those years ago, tried to snuff it oot,. maybe to appease people like you.

1% of the Scottish population speaks Gaelic.

Totally pointless having this channel only in Gaelic. It's fine if they want to promote the Gaelic language, no problem with that at all. But they should have an English translation option for the 99% of people in the country who can't understand a word of what's being said.

They have that option on the S4C Welsh language channel and there are a lot more Welsh speakers in Wales than there are Gaelic speakers in Scotland.

monktonharp
26-04-2013, 10:19 PM

Totally pointless having this channel only in Gaelic. It's fine if they want to promote the Gaelic language, no problem with that at all. But they should have an English translation option for the 99% of people in the country who can't understand a word of what's being said.

They have that option on the S4C Welsh language channel and there are a lot more Welsh speakers in Wales than there are Gaelic speakers in Scotland.don't have the figures but 1% seems a lot less than it actually is.not in a position to argue but I still think you are wrong

CropleyWasGod
26-04-2013, 10:25 PM

They have that option on the S4C Welsh language channel and there are a lot more Welsh speakers in Wales than there are Gaelic speakers in Scotland.

There are English subtitles on almost all of Alba's programmes. And there are plenty excellent ones.

Why would you want a translation for something that is visual?

Sir David Gray
26-04-2013, 10:27 PM
don't have the figures but 1% seems a lot less than it actually is.not in a position to argue but I still think you are wrong

In the 2001 census, which is the latest data available, there were less than 60,000 Gaelic speakers in Scotland.

Given the population of Scotland is approximately 5 million, that means that just over 1% of the population of Scotland can speak Gaelic.

Sylar
26-04-2013, 10:35 PM
don't have the figures but 1% seems a lot less than it actually is.not in a position to argue but I still think you are wrong

Depending on how many decimal points you want to use whether you're correct or not - in Scotland there are just shy of 60k (58,995) native speakers of Scots gaelic based on the latest census data. Total population from last census is 5.295 million people and the population number will grow faster than the number of people - (c.58,995/c.5,295,000)*100 = 1.105%

Sylar
26-04-2013, 10:36 PM

More to the point, why the **** would you want to listen to any BBC commentators? :greengrin

Not being able to understand them is a blessing IMO!

Sir David Gray
26-04-2013, 10:38 PM
There are English subtitles on almost all of Alba's programmes. And there are plenty excellent ones.

Why would you want a translation for something that is visual?

I just can't watch a football match on there for much more than a couple of minutes, because I can't understand what they're saying. I personally find it off-putting. I know a lot of the English speaking commentators on Sky and ESPN can be quite irritating but at least I know what they're saying.

Then the Gaelic speaking commentators will come on at half time and do interviews in English. What's the point in that?

I caught a few minutes of another programme a little while ago that seemed to be music related. The presenter started the show off by speaking in Gaelic, then she went to interview the band that was being featured on the show by doing the interview in English!

Kind of defeats the purpose of the channel if you ask me.

kaimendhibs
27-04-2013, 12:02 AM
I just can't watch a football match on there for much more than a couple of minutes, because I can't understand what they're saying. I personally find it off-putting. I know a lot of the English speaking commentators on Sky and ESPN can be quite irritating but at least I know what they're saying.

Then the Gaelic speaking commentators will come on at half time and do interviews in English. What's the point in that?

I caught a few minutes of another programme a little while ago that seemed to be music related. The presenter started the show off by speaking in Gaelic, then she went to interview the band that was being featured on the show by doing the interview in English!

Put the sound off.I dont have a commentary at ER

Pete
27-04-2013, 12:21 AM
Put the sound off.I dont have a commentary at ER

You have sound at ER though.

Pete
27-04-2013, 12:34 AM
there are quite a few in Scotland, and certainly in the Highlands that understand what it's all about, don't you know.those people that swarmed all over the place wearing redcoats all those years ago, tried to snuff it oot,. maybe to appease people like you.

My post was a little tongue-in-cheek but I just find it irritating watching football in a language that I don't understand.

I know a lot of people get very defensive when speaking about Gaelic as they see an attack on that language as an attack on Scotland and it's culture.

It's time to stop living in the past though...it's a language that is alive but only just. It should be preserved to a point but not at the expense of other languages that the population as a whole would benefit from being exposed to. I'd rather see languages like Mandarin, Spanish and German encouraged from a young age and compulsory in schools, coupled with programs and even channels dedicated to them.

If we want the future of Scotland to be bright and it's people to be dynamic maybe we should get learning the languages of world business instead of devoting time to ones that are ultimately useless.

sparky
27-04-2013, 04:25 AM
On the watching football in a different language point, personally I feel it takes nothing away from the game. Having watched a few foreign err.. online streams in my time I have found it a blessing not to have to listen to the ramblings of our BBC/ITV/Sky pundits. Just tell me the name of the player on the ball and shut up.

Lucius Apuleius
27-04-2013, 05:37 AM
So we have one channel that is in Gaelic out of how many hundreds? I fail to see why this is a problem. I hope none of the above complainers ever watch illegal streams of games from other countries.:wink:

Oh and we also have Sporting Life spraffing pish as well.

An Ivan Sproule header earned Ross County their first SPL victory over Dundee United in 11 attempts.

Peevemor
27-04-2013, 06:43 AM

Hardly! Interviewing a footballer in Gaelic when he doesn't speak the language is what I'd call defeating the purpose. Believe it or not, Gaelic speakers are sometimes interested to here what non Gaelic speakers have to say.