PDA

View Full Version : Drinking in Scottish stadiums

CallumLaidlaw
26-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Lawell is trying to bring this back

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-set-speak-licensing-chiefs-1854307

As much as I'd welcome it, I can't see it happening

Elephant Stone
26-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Being treated like grown ups in a football stadium? Can't see it catching on!

LioNeilMessi
26-04-2013, 09:13 AM
They're certainly pulling out all the stops to shift season tickets! If regulated properly it could work but as you say, not happening.

matty_f
26-04-2013, 09:22 AM
If the semi final was anything to go by then drinking at the games is a terrible idea. Too many folk can't take a drink and end up pissing off everyone around them.

Big Frank
26-04-2013, 09:28 AM
If the semi final was anything to go by then drinking at the games is a terrible idea. Too many folk can't take a drink and end up pissing off everyone around them.

Disagree entirely.

Have been to a few premiership games in england where drinks are served in plastic bottles. Everyone bins them before going up th stairs to their seats.

The people pissing everyone off because they are hammered is because they have been getting rammed in the boozers beforehand.

Great money making scheme for Hibernian.

Hell we might get dedicated standing areas too.

:aok:

#FromTheCapital
26-04-2013, 09:29 AM

If people are going to get that pished then they'll do the majority of their drinking before the game. 2 or 3 beers during the game isn't going to make that much of a difference

PatHead
26-04-2013, 09:36 AM
There was a debate on Radio Scotland this morning with Les Gray (ex police) who basically said we are s c u m who can't be trusted unlike those jolly rugby types who are good eggs. As long as senior police believe that nothing will change. For crying out loud they can't even trust us to have Friday night football in Edinburgh. He didn't even believe in a behind the goals type arrangement. Personally I am not too sure it is required however it would be worth trying with 3rd division clubs and selected internationals if it is worth trying out. This policeman however was based in Glasgow and we all know how good they are at treating supporters through there.

hibeedonald
26-04-2013, 09:44 AM
category B games should be OK for it. Against Hearts, Celtic, I can understand the ban but a home game v Motherwell... why not?

JimBHibees
26-04-2013, 09:48 AM
There was a debate on Radio Scotland this morning with Les Gray (ex police) who basically said we are s c u m who can't be trusted unlike those jolly rugby types who are good eggs. As long as senior police believe that nothing will change. For crying out loud they can't even trust us to have Friday night football in Edinburgh. He didn't even believe in a behind the goals type arrangement. Personally I am not too sure it is required however it would be worth trying with 3rd division clubs and selected internationals if it is worth trying out. This policeman however was based in Glasgow and we all know how good they are at treating supporters through there.

Is Les Gray also the Hamilton CEO?

Cabbage East
26-04-2013, 10:00 AM
It works fine in England, there's no reason why it wouldn't work fine here.

G-Reg
26-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Was the drink ban not brought in due to the way the Old Firm behaved at their royal rumble cup final and since there is no old firm why not lift the ban?

jdships
26-04-2013, 10:12 AM
If people are going to get that pished then they'll do the majority of their drinking before the game. 2 or 3 beers during the game isn't going to make that much of a difference

Aye right
You reckon ?
Think on - a few pints in pub number one followed by another 2 or 3 in the second pub etc = legless
Sad business if you can't manage without a pint for a couple of hours

Agree totally with Matty F :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
26-04-2013, 10:19 AM
There's no danger this will happen at any point in the near future.

Non-starter.

#FromTheCapital
26-04-2013, 10:31 AM
[/U][/B]

Aye right
You reckon ?
Think on - a few pints in pub number one followed by another 2 or 3 in the second pub etc = legless

Yes, I'm sure if they were so legless they wouldn't get served and probably thrown out anyway. Most people can handle there drink, of course there are people that can't as well but if this works in england then there's no reason why it wouldn't work up here. People like to think that the Scottish are huge drinkers but the culture up here is no different to England.

Plus if we'd been allowed to drink at the semi against falkirk there would of been no reason for me to leave at half time :wink:

matty_f
26-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Yes, I'm sure if they were so legless they wouldn't get served and probably thrown out anyway. Most people can handle there drink, of course there are people that can't as well but if this works in england then there's no reason why it wouldn't work up here. People like to think that the Scottish are huge drinkers but the culture up here is no different to England.

Plus if we'd been allowed to drink at the semi against falkirk there would of been no reason for me to leave at half time :wink:

I can count on the fingers on one finger the number of times I've seen football fans refused drink because they're too drunk.

It only takes a few twats with too much drink in them to cause hassle for loads of folk who just want to pay their money and watch the football without hassle.

It's not worth the risk, IMHO.

Mikey
26-04-2013, 11:00 AM
He'd be better concentrating on safe standing areas.

Phil MaGlass
26-04-2013, 11:05 AM
They started selling beer at my local club almost 3 years ago and they have one of the worst hooligan elements in Holland, they have not had one single instance of trouble or drunks at any game in that time. (mind you the Dutch do drink in moderation).
Problem I see with fitba in Scotland is(and its only my opinion) the fact everyone gets tanked up before going to the game because there is no alcohol in the stadium, if we sold it in the stadium there might be less chance of folk binge drinking and rushing their beer beforehand. Theres always going to be the odd idiot but we already have them in the stadium anyway for some games.I would like to see alcohol served in the stadium.Even if it is a weakened version, in Holland they sell party beer which has less alcohol than normal beer.

.Sean.
26-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Don't see why not. I wad at Anfield last Sunday and no problems are caused by having a lager at half time.

If those middleclass rugby snobs are allowed a drink why aren't we?

Brightside
26-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Beer at football is a no no. FAR too many sober clowns as it is, the last thing they need is beer! Stick to the bovril guys.

Purple & Green
26-04-2013, 11:12 AM
I'm no fussed for bringing it back; being able to have a beer at the football wouldn't add anything to my day.

Would your average fan behave much differently? Probably not. Would it be reasonable to trial it at one ground? Yes, it probably would.

This year I've been to several games where I could drink through the game. It doesn't seem to have any negative impact on the vast majority of fans, but then as far as I could see none had more than a couple of drinks in 2 hours.

I agree with Mikey, safe standing is more important and stamping down on anti-social behaviour as witnessed at the semi final wouldn't go amiss either.

matty_f
26-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Don't see why not. I wad at Anfield last Sunday and no problems are caused by having a lager at half time.

If those middleclass rugby snobs are allowed a drink why aren't we?

Ooh inverse snobbery, how exciting.

Brightside
26-04-2013, 11:14 AM

TBF he's not wrong. Rugby fans hardly rise from under their tartan rugs, and actually clap the other teams?!?

Brightside
26-04-2013, 11:18 AM
You'd also have to sack all the kids that work behind the counter at the moment.

Viva_Palmeiras
26-04-2013, 11:25 AM

I agree Matty. Imagine if they'd been allowed to try to get served! Matty and I were witness to a disgraceful incident that spiralled out of control in front of innocent kids some of whom were in tears - albeit exacerbated by poor stewarding but drink just makes stewards job infinitely more difficult.

Until I was convinced things could be managed from a crowd safety perspective it's a no from me.

Vini1875
26-04-2013, 11:30 AM
I'm tee total so it doesn't bother me, but I can't see the problem. I think open terracing and bottles of buckfast and young guys is a recipe for mayhem. However in all seater stadia and drinking lager from plastic cups I don't see the problem, other than people going to and fro to the toilets. It seems to me that football violence is way down on what it used to be, it was bad pre 1980 when I think drink was banned and it got worse around stadiums for a bit and now it seems to have diminished all together accept for the few who are determined to have a go and booze is not the cause with these guys.

Gatecrasher
26-04-2013, 11:34 AM
your allowed to drink at concerts, festivals, rugby, the cinema, motor sport and many other events. It's time football fans were allowed to drink as well. There will always be some problems and idiots but the events i have listed no doubt have idiots and arrests as well.

Carheenlea
26-04-2013, 11:34 AM

I listened to this and was incensed with Mr Gray`s attitude to Scottish football supporters, and the working classes. He was quite insulting to us all as a whole, but then again, the way we have been treated like second class citizens and been herded around like cattle by the police, particularly in the West Coast, it should not have come as any surprise.

Listen again here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01s0vjn

Steve-O
26-04-2013, 11:43 AM
Works fine here in NZ and Australia, and you can even take the drink to your seat (plastic bottles). Maximum of 4 at a time...

Think bottles are better than plastic cups which could see bevvy spilling everywhere when a goal is scored.

Next issue would be when they started charging a fortune for rubbish beer as they do in the stadiums here though...

davcar
26-04-2013, 11:45 AM
What about drink being able to be bought in the stadium from when gates open until say 10 mins prior to KO, therefore no impact on pub drinkers but allowing others a chance of a swift drink pre game? Benefits obviously to the club money men may also get away support into stadium away from surrounding streets and pubs pre match!
Also like down south no alchohol should be allowed to seats but finished inside the concourse in say a designated area.

Brizo
26-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Like the state of the beer that would undoubtedly be sold I am warming to this idea. Based on Hibs existing in stadium catering im sure any bevvy sold would be watered down pish sold at George Street prices.

If concourse sales were confined to pre match and half time with no drink allowed out of concourse areas might be worth a trial. Might be best if restricted to Cat B games as our bigger fixtures bring out the pondlife.

Cant see it happening however due to the Les Gray mentality. He was a tube when he was in Mud... and he's still a tube :wink:

silverhibee
26-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Disagree entirely.

Have been to a few premiership games in england where drinks are served in plastic bottles. Everyone bins them before going up th stairs to their seats.

The people pissing everyone off because they are hammered is because they have been getting rammed in the boozers beforehand.

Great money making scheme for Hibernian.

Hell we might get dedicated standing areas too.

:aok:

Lawell will be pushing for this as well for next season for the Green Brigade.

Phil MaGlass
26-04-2013, 11:55 AM
You'd also have to sack all the kids that work behind the counter at the moment.

good idea, cant stand kids

hibby rae
26-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Can't say I'd really be that bothered about it, although I went to see Moechengladbach play and had a few beers at that game but that was more to do with being in a holiday mood than being at the football. Some of the supporters there were saying that for derbies they only sell non-achoholic beer to avoid trouble. I'd imagine though that we would follow the English model of just being allowed to drink in the stands? My flatmate goes to Villa games quite a lot and he says that the beer is tasteless crap that's far too cold to drink quickly and overpriced. Happily wait till after the game.

jdships
26-04-2013, 12:05 PM
I can count on the fingers on one finger the number of times I've seen football fans refused drink because they're too drunk.

It only takes a few twats with too much drink in them to cause hassle for loads of folk who just want to pay their money and watch the football without hassle.

It's not worth the risk, IMHO.

Another :top marks post

Cabbage East
26-04-2013, 12:12 PM
[/U][/B]

Aye right
You reckon ?

This is such a daft argument. Hibs sell food, should they not bother because it's sad business if people can't go without stuffing junk food in their puss for a couple of hours?

jdships
26-04-2013, 12:13 PM

Be honest and say how many times you have seen anyone 'asked to leave' a pub because the bar staff thought they had too much to drink ?
In a Hotel/Restaurant maybe but in a ordinary back street pub - well !!!
As I said previously if you cannot go without a pint for a couple of hours you have problems

On a different note . You have to remember many children attend football matches with their parents , nowadays, and would you be happy for some half pissed clown ' performing' in front of your kids ?
It's bad enough now with the few that come to the game drunk

:rolleyes:

JimBHibees
26-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Lawell will be pushing for this as well for next season for the Green Brigade.

The German model should be copied as long as it is controlled appropriately and personally think it would add to the occasion and atmosphere as it does in Germany.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-04-2013, 12:22 PM
The beer they sell in grounds down south is overpriced pish water. Doubt it would stop many folk going to the boozer first.

Its quite handy for new build stadiums in the middle of nowhere, but, Upton Park etc still have folk leaving the pubs as the game kicks off.

marinello59
26-04-2013, 12:23 PM
I don't see anything wrong with being able to serve beer in the concourses before the match. It would be like Behind the Goals but already being through the turnstiles. Drinking in your seat during the game? No thanks. It's annoying enough going to gigs and having half wits think its fun to chuck beer over everybody.

#FromTheCapital
26-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Be honest and say how many times you have seen anyone 'asked to leave' a pub because the bar staff thought they had too much to drink ?
As I said previously if you cannot go without a pint for a couple of hours you have problems

On a different note . You have to remember many children attend football matches with their parents , nowadays, and would you be happy for some half pissed clown ' performing' in front of your kids ?

I've seen plenty people refused a drink because they've had a bit too much (including myself!)

This isn't a pub it's a football stadium and it might even stop people from drinking so much before the game because they know they'll be able to get a drink in the stadium. I don't see what the problem would be with this. You say it's bad enough now but I've certainly not seen any alcohol related problems at Easter Road in the last few years

Pretty Boy
26-04-2013, 12:26 PM
On a week to week basis how many people actually attend the game seriously under the influence? Not many that i've ever seen. Obviously finals, derbies etc are different but there could be a ban kept in place for those games.

Would having a bottle of beer at a Hibs v Ross County game with 120 away fans really lead to widespread rioting. Why not limit it to one or two beers per person?

Simple fact is if someone wants to attend a football match steaming drunk and start a fight there is ample opportunity to do so as things stand, selling a bottle of mass produced piss at £3.50 a pop isn't going to increase that risk massively. It works at numerous other sports, itworks in the EPL so why not here?

ScottB
26-04-2013, 12:27 PM
I think it would depend on the game, couldn't see any harm in booze being available at a Hibs v ICT game, but it would just be asking for trouble at an Old Firm game, or even an Edinburgh Derby.

JimBHibees
26-04-2013, 12:28 PM
On a week to week basis how many people actually attend the game seriously under the influence? Not many that i've ever seen. Obviously finals, derbies etc are different but there could be a ban kept in place for those games.

Would having a bottle of beer at a Hibs v Ross County game with 120 away fans really lead to widespread rioting. Why not limit it to one or two beers per person?

Simple fact is if someone wants to attend a football match steaming drunk and start a fight there is ample opportunity to do so as things stand, selling a bottle of mass produced piss at £3.50 a pop isn't going to increase that risk massively. It works at numerous other sports, itworks in the EPL so why not here?

Agree with all of that obviously the higher charged games would need to be treated with caution however an adult having a quiet beer before a low key game what is the trouble and could be a good revenue stream for the club.

WHAM
26-04-2013, 12:33 PM

Agree 100%

Too many people in this country like Les Gray with narrowminded attitues towards football fans who wont even consider opening their minds to safe standing and drinking in stadia etc.

If it works in England, where they had just as large if not larger hooligan problems in the past, then there's actually no valid reasons why fans up here can't drink in the concourse pre-match and at half time.

PatHead
26-04-2013, 12:36 PM
I agree Matty. Imagine if they'd been allowed to try to get served! Matty and I were witness to a disgraceful incident that spiralled out of control in front of innocent kids some of whom were in tears - albeit exacerbated by poor stewarding but drink just makes stewards job infinitely more difficult.

Until I was convinced things could be managed from a crowd safety perspective it's a no from me.

To be fair the problem was as more down to poor stewarding. It is important that this is recognised as well. Treat people like human beings and they will react in an appropriate manner. The way the guy on BBC was talking this morning all football fans are hooligans and can't be trusted with or without drink.

Phil MaGlass
26-04-2013, 12:43 PM
I would like to see beer sold at games, I would however understand it not being sold at derbies and high risk games.May raise a few sheckles for the club aswell if they were to sell it themselves. In fact hibs could go one better and put on entertainment before the games,under 21 match,even show a live english match on a couple of large screens, get the fans in early, captive audience n,aw that of course it might work better on sunny warm days.

how about a poll?

Hibrandenburg
26-04-2013, 12:52 PM
I like a beer or two but don't want it back in the stadiums.

Those who can't go 90 mins without a beer don't go to the game and stay in the pub and only rarely do go to exceptional games like cup finals.

To allow drinking in the stadium would encourage the jakey element back to the games and whilst I'm all for getting more people to the games, I'm against encouraging this particular group to attend.

Saorsa
26-04-2013, 01:05 PM
I'd like tae see the ban lifted for the reason it'd be nice tae see fitba fans treated the same as anybody else instead of being treated like law breakers, and trouble makers before they've actually done anything. Yes there are idiots and trouble makers but they're a minority, why should everybody be treated like that. I've been up the toon efter the rugby and found mair tossers then than I ever have in the pubs doon Easter Road efter the fitba.. Naebody is going tae get pished on what they can drink in the duration of a fitba match and because of the time it will take tae get served again so I dinnae see it as a problem. If people are at the fitba jaked it'll be because of what they already had before and if they're that bad they shouldnae have been let in in the first place. Speaking for myself if I couldnae mange without a drink for the duration of a fitba match then I think I'd give it up altogether. I go tae the fitba tae watch the fitba and if the service was anything like BTG you'd miss half the game waiting tae get served and the drink would probably be rank too.

jdships
26-04-2013, 01:06 PM
This is such a daft argument. Hibs sell food, should they not bother because it's sad business if people can't go without stuffing junk food in their puss for a couple of hours?

Agree totally !!
The only difference is having a couple of burgers and a pizza at half time is not going to end up with you making a nuisance of yourself to folk around you .
People attending a football match should not have to put up with problems caused by drink .

jdships
26-04-2013, 01:08 PM
I've seen plenty people refused a drink because they've had a bit too much (including myself!)

This isn't a pub it's a football stadium and it might even stop people from drinking so much before the game because they know they'll be able to get a drink in the stadium. I don't see what the problem would be with this. You say it's bad enough now but I've certainly not seen any alcohol related problems at Easter Road in the last few years

Good for you !!
All down to opinions as usual
:greengrin

silverhibee
26-04-2013, 01:17 PM

Never seem to see any hassle or bother in BTG at ER on matchday and the fans there are allowed to drink for a few hours before the game, plenty kids running about having a good time while there parents have a few drinks, and you also get all different folk who go to BTG and have a few beers, they all seem to behave themselfs.

Bit in bold. Are they the good folk. :confused: :wink: :greengrin

Should we be looking to close down BTG before games, how would STF and Rod get to mix with the fans then. :greengrin

Saorsa
26-04-2013, 01:25 PM
If the semi final was anything to go by then drinking at the games is a terrible idea. Too many folk can't take a drink and end up pissing off everyone around them.Dinnae see that argument at all, they were all blootered on drink consumed outwith the stadium which can be done whether drink can be bought in the stadium or not. If folk are that bad it's surely up tae the folk controlling entry in tae the stadium tae refuse tae let them in in the first place. Even the lightweights I ken couldne get pished on the amount of booze you could consume in the duration of a fitba match.

WHAM
26-04-2013, 01:30 PM

Those who can't go 90 mins without a beer don't go to the game and stay in the pub and only rarely do go to exceptional games like cup finals.

To allow drinking in the stadium would encourage the jakey element back to the games and whilst I'm all for getting more people to the games, I'm against encouraging this particular group to attend.

Does it encourage the jakey element to the games in England and in Germany?

German football has it sussed. Was over in Berlin last year with a group of mates (February 2012) and went to the Hertha Berlin v Hannover game. A couple of beers on the tube to the stadium, loads of people selling and drinking beer outside the turnstiles, then beer and mulled wine on sale in the stadium. It was -10 degrees so being able to sit at your seat with a glass of gluhwein made it much more tolerable. Was not a hint of trouble anywhere.

jdships
26-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Never seem to see any hassle or bother in BTG at ER on matchday and the fans there are allowed to drink for a few hours before the game, plenty kids running about having a good time while there parents have a few drinks, and you also get all different folk who go to BTG and have a few beers, they all seem to behave themselfs.

Bit in bold. Are they the good folk. :confused: :wink: :greengrin

Should we be looking to close down BTG before games, how would STF and Rod get to mix with the fans then. :greengrin

Can't argue with that but these are sensible people who come to BTG to enjoy a pint and accept that there is a proper way to behave
It is the minority that spoil things by drinking too much in the pub before the game - if we are honest many of us have ' seen it done it worn the tee shirt ' !!:wink:

silverhibee
26-04-2013, 01:31 PM

Oh dear. :rolleyes:

lord bunberry
26-04-2013, 01:31 PM
TBF he's not wrong. Rugby fans hardly rise from under their tartan rugs, and actually clap the other teams?!?

The rugby fans maybe behave themselves during the game but they are worse than football fans by the end of the night

marinello59
26-04-2013, 01:38 PM
The rugby fans maybe behave themselves during the game but they are worse than football fans by the end of the night

:agree:

matty_f
26-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Dinnae see that argument at all, they were all blootered on drink consumed outwith the stadium which can be done whether drink can be bought in the stadium or not. If folk are that bad it's surely up tae the folk controlling entry in tae the stadium tae refuse tae let them in in the first place. Even the lightweights I ken couldne get pished on the amount of booze you could consume in the duration of a fitba match.

To be fair, that's a valid point. I would like to think that football fans could be treated the same as gig-goers, rugby fans, etc and I think that the vast majority of folk would be sensible enough with it. I suppose I have concerns about how it's controlled as much as anything.

I think that for some folk the opportunity to keep drinking through the game would be abused and these are the folk most likely to cause problems for everyone else. At least when they get into the ground buckled as it is, they can't get more buckled til after the game!

I suppose I'm not entirely opposed to the idea, but as someone that rarely drinks, and takes kids to the football, it's hard to understand why it would be necessary.

Andy74
26-04-2013, 01:45 PM
To be fair, that's a valid point. I would like to think that football fans could be treated the same as gig-goers, rugby fans, etc and I think that the vast majority of folk would be sensible enough with it. I suppose I have concerns about how it's controlled as much as anything.

I think that for some folk the opportunity to keep drinking through the game would be abused and these are the folk most likely to cause problems for everyone else. At least when they get into the ground buckled as it is, they can't get more buckled til after the game!

I suppose I'm not entirely opposed to the idea, but as someone that rarely drinks, and takes kids to the football, it's hard to understand why it would be necessary.

Is it necessary to have pies and bovrils?

Phil MaGlass
26-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Can't argue with that but these are sensible people who come to BTG to enjoy a pint and accept that there is a proper way to behave
It is the minority that spoil things by drinking too much in the pub before the game - if we are honest many of us have ' seen it done it worn the tee shirt ' !!:wink:

so the majority should suffer for the minority then?

silverhibee
26-04-2013, 02:05 PM
And if anyone from Hibs is looking in, what about considering having a separate bar that sells only bottled drinks from a fridge, cut the queue's down a bit at the other bars, or just get more staff for matchday would be good. :thumbsup:

EH75
26-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Would like to see this brought in, as has already been mentioned the majority of alcohol related problems at the football seem to be with people who get tanked up before the games anyway so don't think this would really make a massive difference. Would be nice to have a pint at the game although it would probably about a fiver a time so in that case I wouldn't bother.

On the safe standing issue which a few people have mentioned, this is now allowed in Scottish football but no-one has seemed too keen to actually introduce it. I assume due to cost: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16248937

matty_f
26-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Is it necessary to have pies and bovrils?

No.

GreenCastle
26-04-2013, 02:32 PM
I would dare Rod to go and purchase a few of these machines - he would make a fortune at the game -

http://youtu.be/Z9AMIPlr5Y0 :top marks

silverhibee
26-04-2013, 02:33 PM

:agree: :aok: :thumbsup:

GreenCastle
26-04-2013, 02:45 PM
In an ideal world football fans in this country would be able to enjoy a drink like they do at Scottish rugby games (expensive also!) or under the stand like in England - big games they could ban it in the stadium - means outside instead.

German football has had a lot of publicity this week with good football - amazing atmospheres and prices being fair to watch the product - plus they allow drink inside the stadium - I know some stadiums used to take a deposit for the cup (plastic cup) and you would get that back after if you returned it - recycling etc.

The hard part here whether we like it or not is the Scottish ned / idiot culture - the minority who go to games and can't handle their drink and end up doing stupid things which let other fans down and the club down - create negative publicity for the game.

Until the football culture moves with the times - respecting refs / fans being able to behave like adults then can't see it changing anytime soon.

It's a shame as having experienced how other countries / sports do it - it really brings in money and adds to the atmosphere - though I'm not encouraging people to drink to have a good time - as that's not the way forward.

Saorsa
26-04-2013, 03:19 PM
so the majority should suffer for the minority then?That's exactly what happens because it's much easier. As I said in a previous post, what are the police and stewards doing? They're suppose tae stop intoxicated people even entering the ground, why is the job they're doing no being questioned. Dinnae blame the police or stewards, dinnae blame the steamers, just blame everybody else because that's much easier.

Bristolhibby
26-04-2013, 04:16 PM
I always have a beer at English (and Welsh) grounds, just for novelty value.

Never smashed things up as a consequence.

J

Hibrandenburg
26-04-2013, 05:40 PM
Oh dear. :rolleyes:

Your point is?

DH1875
26-04-2013, 05:47 PM
It works down South so why not here?

silverhibee
26-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Your point is?

Who are you to decide who comes along to watch Hibs at ER, even if it is the jakey element, did you see how some parents were behaving at Hampden at the Falkirk game, should they be welcome back to watch Hibs by you.

Sammy7nil
26-04-2013, 06:41 PM
I have been to grounds that sell drink with no problem however am against this idea unless there are restrictions.

Away fans get hammered and are often looking to cause bother or push the boundries of acceptable behaviour. Many fans make a day of it and would get plastered so no drink for away fans.

No drink at semi's or finals far too many 2 pint charlies who attend only these 2 games a season and have no idea how to behave.

No drink at Cat A games for obvious reaons do need more drink at a derby?

As for comparing cinema, theatre, concerts and rugby crowds to football fans behave, time and time again football have proved they cannot be trusted and often behave like animals. Just look at the recent trouble at the Millwall semi or Newcastle derby for examples.

Sammy7nil
26-04-2013, 06:44 PM
It works down South so why not here?

Doesn't always see Millwall and Newcastle games a couple of weeks back, also away fans get hammered at most grounds. Home fans seem not to be in a rush to get bladdered.

Hibrandenburg
26-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Who are you to decide who comes along to watch Hibs at ER, even if it is the jakey element, did you see how some parents were behaving at Hampden at the Falkirk game, should they be welcome back to watch Hibs by you.

What are you on about? Just because I'm against drinking doesn't mean I get to decide Jack ****, it's mearly my opinion and BTW who are you to decide who's opinion is valid and who's isn't.

If you'd care to read my post again you'll see that I'm not talking about those folks who enjoy a beer and then the football rather those that stay in the pub because they can't go 90 mins without a drink. Maybe I'm less tolerant than the average Joe but WTF should I and my family have to sit next to someone pissed up who'd rather be in the pub than at the football.?

A pub is no place for kids so why bring the pub to the kids.

Hibernia Na Eir
26-04-2013, 07:12 PM
at Brunton Park, Carlisle recently. Small drinking den below old main stand. not a hint of bother. Don't see why it can't be implemented in Scotland. Wait a minute....

LancashireHibby
26-04-2013, 07:36 PM
If anyone can afford to get bladdered at stadium prices then good luck to them. I can understand limiting it for Category A games but realistically if anyone is topping up on booze then they aren't in the stands anyway!

Scouse Hibee
26-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Enjoy a drink before and after but don't think I would bother at the game tbh.

iwasthere1972
26-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Got to get up enough times during the match for latecomers, folk going for a pee or food or even both without having to get up for drunks going back and forward for beer (champers in the west) and additional pees.

Eat and drink before you enter the stadium. It's only 105 minutes at the most.

Geo_1875
26-04-2013, 08:38 PM
The German model should be copied as long as it is controlled appropriately and personally think it would add to the occasion and atmosphere as it does in Germany.

I think the German model should be applied to all games involving teams from Glasgow, as long as that includes police with riot sticks, guns and big hungry alsatians. And Les Gray is a prick.

Scott Allan Key
26-04-2013, 09:21 PM
I'm not against the idea for those who can enjoy a drink without the problem that might come with it. I suggest it is limited to a particular area of stadiums for trial basis and that it is not available in family section of stands, better stewarding and segregation of those with and without children is I think necessary if alcohol is to be involved too. And personally I wouldn't want my boys and I being showered with drink when a goal is scored. I feel sorry for those (especially with children) who were distressed by drunken louts at Hampden, and guess my family were lucky.

jdships
26-04-2013, 09:27 PM
so the majority should suffer for the minority then?

Not SHOULD but WILL - that's how life often is
'The tail wags the dog ':greengrin

LancashireHibby
26-04-2013, 09:39 PM
And personally I wouldn't want my boys and I being showered with drink when a goal is scored.
I don't see any situation where booze would actually be allowed in the seating areas in the UK to be honest, beer chucking can be a right pain in the backside at rugby and cricket.

marinello59
27-04-2013, 06:06 AM
I always have a beer at English (and Welsh) grounds, just for novelty value.

Never smashed things up as a consequence.

J

I went mental.I remember ordering the third pint then nothing 'til I got my holiday snaps back.

Saorsa
27-04-2013, 06:08 AM
I went mental.I remember ordering the third pint then nothing 'til I got my holiday snaps back.

97039703:greengrin

Beefster
27-04-2013, 06:16 AM
To be fair, the caterers try to sell us the pishiest, mankiest, most over-priced 'food' ever so let's give them the opportunity to sell us some overpriced pisswater.

Lucius Apuleius
27-04-2013, 06:28 AM
Pretty ambivalent to be honest. I do get pretty p1ssed off at being treated the way we do as soon as you put a football scarf or football strip on. Absolutely disgraceful in this day and age to be treated by police the way we are. That cop seems to convey the feelings of most policemen (and wimmun) with his attitude. Time something was done about that first. For this reason alone, I think it should be allowed. Would I use it? No thanks. I might have a bovril on a cold day but cannot for the life of me see any joy in sitting outside in the middle of December drinking a pint of beer. Doubt if we would get Guinness anyways.

HH81
27-04-2013, 07:07 AM
And if anyone from Hibs is looking in, what about considering having a separate bar that sells only bottled drinks from a fridge, cut the queue's down a bit at the other bars, or just get more staff for matchday would be good. :thumbsup:

Will the separate bar sell pop :confused:

Saorsa
27-04-2013, 07:08 AM
Will the separate bar sell pop :confused:pop will be doon stairs where the bairns are :greengrin

Hibernia Na Eir
27-04-2013, 07:13 AM
If anyone can afford to get bladdered at stadium prices then good luck to them. I can understand limiting it for Category A games but realistically if anyone is topping up on booze then they aren't in the stands anyway!

To be fair, you only really have time for one at half time. personally, I wouldn't bother before ko. just be good to know you could have a tipple at HT if you so wished.
surely a good thing too if yer team is letting you down ;)

steakbake
27-04-2013, 07:24 AM
Why is everyone so thirsty?

lord bunberry
27-04-2013, 07:31 AM
I think that we should be allowed a drink in the stadium, if we were to do it then maybe it shouldn't be in every stand so people can take their kids to a stand which is alcohol free

hibby rae
27-04-2013, 09:12 AM
Is it not the case that legally to sell alcohol you have to be 18 or over as well?

Scouse Hibee
27-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Is it not the case that legally to sell alcohol you have to be 18 or over as well?

No there are exceptions, people under 18 (young persons 16-17) can sell alcohol for consumption off the premises along as the sale is authorised by a personal licence holder, hence the reason checkout operators at supermarkets who are under 18 are allowed to serve you. The other exception is that they can also serve you alcohol if you are having a meal on the premises. As neither of these would apply at ER no one under the age of 18 would be able to serve alcohol at the kiosks (pies do not count as a meal). :greengrin

Saorsa
27-04-2013, 09:58 AM
No there are exceptions, people under 18 (young persons 16-17) can sell alcohol for consumption off the premises along as the sale is authorised by a personal licence holder, hence the reason checkout operators at supermarkets who are under 18 are allowed to serve you. The other exception is that they can also serve you alcohol if you are having a meal. As neither of these would apply at ER no one under the age of 18 would be able to serve alcohol at the kiosks (pies do not count as a meal). :greengrinNo even if you have 6 and a half pizza slice with broon sauce? :greengrin

Probably cost as much a meal :rolleyes:

Scouse Hibee
27-04-2013, 10:03 AM
No even if you have 6 and a half pizza slice with broon sauce? :greengrin

Probably cost as much a meal :rolleyes:

Is that your normal intake at ER :greengrin

Saorsa
27-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Is that your normal intake at ER :greengrinNope was just inquiring. :greengrin Never buy the stuff myself, over priced junk.

Scouse Hibee
27-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Nope was just inquiring. :greengrin Never buy the stuff myself, over priced junk.

:aok: The beer would probably be the same!

Saorsa
27-04-2013, 10:08 AM
:aok: The beer would probably be the same!Absolutely nae doubt, which is why I wouldnae buy it either. I'd just like tae see fitba fans treated the same as anybody else instead of as trouble makers and and law breakers when the majority are nothing of the sort.

NAE NOOKIE
27-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Nothing gets me more bent out of shape than early kick off times on a Sunday where you cant go for a couple of pints before the game because the pubs dont open till 12:30. For me it is ( and always has been ) part of the matchday experience.

But funnily enough I'm not that bothered if you cant get a drink inside the stadium .... Pie & Bovril for me every time. At Everton last year the queue for a pint was so long there was no chance of getting served anyway. No way I would miss the start of a second half waiting in a beer queue.

Having said that I dont see any harm in giving it a try .... If the authorities want football fans to behave, why not see if a bit of trust can be established by serving drink at Cat B games as an experiment.

I am much more interested in the idea of safe standing areas ..... Hibs have an ideal set up to try this with the bottom decks of the FF and south. Limit the standing capacity to about 2,000 or so in each stand and give over the south side of the main stand to OF and Yam fans for big games like we did in the old days. The FF family section could move to the north end of the East.

Hibs have always been at the forefront of new ideas ... so why not in this back to the future scenario? How much would it cost to remove a few seats and put in some crush barriers. A couple of guys with a drill, a spanner and some cement could probably do it in a week.

neilmartinrocks
27-04-2013, 10:10 AM
No there are exceptions, people under 18 (young persons 16-17) can sell alcohol for consumption off the premises along as the sale is authorised by a personal licence holder, hence the reason checkout operators at supermarkets who are under 18 are allowed to serve you. The other exception is that they can also serve you alcohol if you are having a meal on the premises. As neither of these would apply at ER no one under the age of 18 would be able to serve alcohol at the kiosks (pies do not count as a meal). :greengrin

only if a supervisor validates the sale supervisor must be over 21.

Scouse Hibee
27-04-2013, 10:18 AM
only if a supervisor validates the sale supervisor must be over 21.

Of course supermarkets may put their own provisions in as to how they individually supervise the sale of alcohol by young persons as long as the principal that I stated is not compromised, in that a personal licence holder must be present on the premises and the young person has received statutory training regarding the serving/sale of alcohol.

Saorsa
27-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Anyhoo that's me of tae the boozer shortly tae get tanked up and cause some bother at the fitba :cheers: :party::drunk: :take that

:bye:

EH75
27-04-2013, 10:35 AM
I am much more interested in the idea of safe standing areas ..... Hibs have an ideal set up to try this with the bottom decks of the FF and south. Limit the standing capacity to about 2,000 or so in each stand and give over the south side of the main stand to OF and Yam fans for big games like we did in the old days. The FF family section could move to the north end of the East.

Hibs have always been at the forefront of new ideas ... so why not in this back to the future scenario? How much would it cost to remove a few seats and put in some crush barriers. A couple of guys with a drill, a spanner and some cement could probably do it in a week.

I'm sure the last time I saw this discussed someone said that a normal seat costs £30 per seat to install. The rail seating that would be required is apparently closer to £90 a seat. This could be completely wrong but I'm sure I saw these figures mentioned in the past. For this reason I can't see anyone outside Celtic even considering it as part of a modification to an exisiting stadium. If clubs are building a new stand then it might be a different story. Unfortunately the change in the rules came in a few years too late for us. Having just spent all that money on the new east stand I can't see Hibs shelling out for any more stadium modifications for quite a while. Shame as I would love to see it.

neilmartinrocks
27-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Of course supermarkets may put their own provisions in as to how they individually supervise the sale of alcohol by young persons as long as the principal that I stated is not compromised, in that a personal licence holder must be present on the premises and the young person has received statutory training regarding the serving/sale of alcohol.

just checked that with my supervisor over 21 is a store thing over 18 in law.
:agree:

Brizo
27-04-2013, 12:04 PM
I'm sure the last time I saw this discussed someone said that a normal seat costs £30 per seat to install. The rail seating that would be required is apparently closer to £90 a seat. This could be completely wrong but I'm sure I saw these figures mentioned in the past. For this reason I can't see anyone outside Celtic even considering it as part of a modification to an exisiting stadium. If clubs are building a new stand then it might be a different story. Unfortunately the change in the rules came in a few years too late for us. Having just spent all that money on the new east stand I can't see Hibs shelling out for any more stadium modifications for quite a while. Shame as I would love to see it.

Agree with that.

Im sure there are structural weight loading implications as well. These new stadiums are constructed to be all seater and licenced accordingly. While standing may be tolerated in certain sections in stadiums including at ER, im not convinced we would find it easy to get a licence for an official standing area. Its certainly not as simple as sending in a couple of guys with a drill and a spanner.

marinello59
27-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Nothing gets me more bent out of shape than early kick off times on a Sunday where you cant go for a couple of pints before the game because the pubs dont open till 12:30. For me it is ( and always has been ) part of the matchday experience.

But funnily enough I'm not that bothered if you cant get a drink inside the stadium .... Pie & Bovril for me every time. At Everton last year the queue for a pint was so long there was no chance of getting served anyway. No way I would miss the start of a second half waiting in a beer queue.

Having said that I dont see any harm in giving it a try .... If the authorities want football fans to behave, why not see if a bit of trust can be established by serving drink at Cat B games as an experiment.

Interesting ideas. That side of the West isn't suited to segregation though, the concourse is tiny. The East Stand's design however is perfect.:devil:

Speedy
27-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Agree totally !!
The only difference is having a couple of burgers and a pizza at half time is not going to end up with you making a nuisance of yourself to folk around you .
People attending a football match should not have to put up with problems caused by drink .

Completely disagree with your argument.

27-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Would like to see it happen as the vast majority of people are able to enjoy a couple of pre-match drinks and still behave in a civilised, well behaved manner. Unfortunately, the small minority of idiots who can't handle a few drinks and turn into thugs and yobs that ruin it for everyone else. As we seen a few weeks ago at hampden, we do have some idiots in our support that think their the hard man after they've had a few and start trouble which is not fair for the good folk or the children around them. People pay a lot of money to go to the football and they should be entitled to go and enjoy the game without drunken ********s kicking off.

Once again, I know its a very small minority who cause trouble but its still a shame for those who have to sit near them.

jdships
27-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Completely disagree with your argument.

Fair enough - its all done to opinions anyway :greengrin:wink:

jdships
27-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Would like to see it happen as the vast majority of people are able to enjoy a couple of pre-match drinks and still behave in a civilised, well behaved manner. Unfortunately, the small minority of idiots who can't handle a few drinks and turn into thugs and yobs that ruin it for everyone else. As we seen a few weeks ago at hampden, we do have some idiots in our support that think their the hard man after they've had a few and start trouble which is not fair for the good folk or the children around them. People pay a lot of money to go to the football and they should be entitled to go and enjoy the game without drunken ********s kicking off.

Once again, I know its a very small minority who cause trouble but its still a shame for those who have to sit near them.

Good post IMO :thumbsup: