PDA

View Full Version : Suarez ban

s.a.m
24-04-2013, 02:14 PM
10 matches. 4 remaining games this season, and 6 next.

Scouse Hibee
24-04-2013, 02:24 PM
10 games what a ****** disgrace!

I'm not talking about the length of the ban, I'm talking about the fact that Liverpool have stood by this clown who now takes his total to 18 games banned due to stupid, irresponsible and disgraceful behaviour.
So he sits on erse still getting paid and misses 4 games this season and 6 the next!! How any Liverpool fan can back this erse is totally beyond me. "No player is bigger than the club" I beg to differ, LFC have proved that statement to be total nonsense IMO.

Newry Hibs
24-04-2013, 02:26 PM
I suspect an appeal will be made and the result to be a 5 game ban and 5 suspended.

Scouse Hibee
24-04-2013, 02:29 PM
I suspect an appeal will be made and the result to be a 5 game ban and 5 suspended.

Knowing Suarez he'd still end up serving the 5 suspended games.

Twa Cairpets
24-04-2013, 02:29 PM

They would be insane to appeal it.

JeMeSouviens
24-04-2013, 02:32 PM
What did Cantona get for the kung fu thing?

TomoHFC
24-04-2013, 02:33 PM
8 games for racism and 10 games for biting. Surely it's ment to be less for biting that it is for racism

Danderhall Hibs
24-04-2013, 02:37 PM
8 games for racism and 10 games for biting. Surely it's ment to be less for biting that it is for racism

Agreed - if it had been 2 different players. As it's the same guy the 2nd ban is probably higher because of the 1st ban (repeat offender).

Treadstone
24-04-2013, 02:39 PM

Nae chance of Liverpool appealing this after last years bad PR.

hughio
24-04-2013, 02:39 PM
not nice biting... but not as bad a a leg breaking tackle IMO

GreenCastle
24-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Some bans below - Feel free to add any I've missed ?

John Terry - 4 games (Racism incident) - - Evra - 4 games for attacking groundsman - Joey Barton - 12 games (Violent Conduct), Di Canio 11 matches for pushing ref. Defoe biting Mascherano - no ban - yellow card at the time. Mutu - 7 months - failed drugs test.

ROY KEANE - Handed a five-week ban and a £150,000 fine in October 2002 for comments made about Alfie Haaland in his controversial autobiography - Keane: The Autobiography.

ERIC CANTONA - Banned for nine months from football worldwide and ordered to do 120 hours community service as a result of his Kung-Fu kick on Crystal Palace fan Matthew Simmons in 1995. Cantona was sent off during Manchester United's Selhurst Park meeting with Palace and launched himself over the advertising hoardings at a taunting Simmons as he made his way off the pitch.

MARK BOSNICH - Suspended for nine months in April 2003 after failing a drugs test for cocaine. Had his contract terminated by Chelsea and subsequently lost his appeal against the ban.

RIO FERDINAND - Banned for eight months in December 2003 after failing to take a drugs test in September of the same year.

PAOLO DI CANIO - The fiery Italian forward was handed an 11-game ban and £10,000 fine for pushing referee Paul Alcock while playing for Sheffield Wednesday in a Premier League match against Arsenal in September 1998.

DAVID PRUTTON - the Southampton midfielder was hit with a 10-game ban and fined £6,000 by the FA after shoving referee Alan Wiley following his red card in a match against Arsenal in 2005.

VINNIE JONES - Given a six-month ban suspended for three years in November 1992 - and fined a then record £20,000 by the FA - for his commentary in a video glorifying football violence and dirty tricks.

Treadstone
24-04-2013, 02:47 PM

John Terry - 4 games (Racism incident) - - Evra - 4 games for attacking groundsman - Joey Barton - 12 games (Violent Conduct), Di Canio 11 matches for pushing ref. Defoe biting Mascherano - no ban - yellow card at the time. Mutu - 7 months - failed drugs test.

ROY KEANE - Handed a five-week ban and a £150,000 fine in October 2002 for comments made about Alfie Haaland in his controversial autobiography - Keane: The Autobiography.

ERIC CANTONA - Banned for nine months from football worldwide and ordered to do 120 hours community service as a result of his Kung-Fu kick on Crystal Palace fan Matthew Simmons in 1995. Cantona was sent off during Manchester United's Selhurst Park meeting with Palace and launched himself over the advertising hoardings at a taunting Simmons as he made his way off the pitch.

MARK BOSNICH - Suspended for nine months in April 2003 after failing a drugs test for cocaine. Had his contract terminated by Chelsea and subsequently lost his appeal against the ban.

RIO FERDINAND - Banned for eight months in December 2003 after failing to take a drugs test in September of the same year.

PAOLO DI CANIO - The fiery Italian forward was handed an 11-game ban and £10,000 fine for pushing referee Paul Alcock while playing for Sheffield Wednesday in a Premier League match against Arsenal in September 1998.

DAVID PRUTTON - the Southampton midfielder was hit with a 10-game ban and fined £6,000 by the FA after shoving referee Alan Wiley following his red card in a match against Arsenal in 2005.

VINNIE JONES - Given a six-month ban suspended for three years in November 1992 - and fined a then record £20,000 by the FA - for his commentary in a video glorifying football violence and dirty tricks.

Goal Kick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqYEpVjpinI

TomoHFC
24-04-2013, 02:48 PM

There was a aek Athens player who got ban for life from playing for Greece and was suspended until the end of the season for a nazi salute.

Hibercelona
24-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Another 10 games holiday, with full wages.

What a treat!

pontius pilate
24-04-2013, 02:56 PM
The problem is Saurez has previous for this disgusting behaviour not just here but abroad as well.
IIRC at 14 he head butted an official in Uruguay resulting in the official having a broken nose. Biting whilst at Ajax . Racism and now this. As someone already pointed out since being at Liverpool he has received in total an 18 game ban. How the club or supporters can stand by him is disgusting as well.

GreenCastle
24-04-2013, 02:59 PM
These cases don't involve what he did previously though do they?

There are plenty of players in world football who are just as bad - Pepe and Ramos at Madrid both have been sent off many times and I think Ramos number of red card bans = close to a full season of games.

Would be surprised if Rodgers wants to sell his best player and make his team weaker and possibly cost him his managers job.

DarlingtonHibee
24-04-2013, 03:00 PM
10 games what a ****** disgrace!

I'm not talking about the length of the ban, I'm talking about the fact that Liverpool have stood by this clown who now takes his total to 18 games banned due to stupid, irresponsible and disgraceful behaviour.
So he sits on erse still getting paid and misses 4 games this season and 6 the next!! How any Liverpool fan can back this erse is totally beyond me. "No player is bigger than the club" I beg to differ, LFC have proved that statement to be total nonsense IMO.

SH

I think Liverpool have dealt with this very poorly.

If they had any sense they would have barred him for seven games - FA would have accepted that.

Their comms has been very poor, and when he said it was only a 3 game ban - sorry, that was the nail in the coffin.

Really sad to see a great club let themselves down.

allezsauzee
24-04-2013, 03:04 PM
He should be banned from football indefinitely.

alan1875
24-04-2013, 03:05 PM
I think it's excessive... He's a total numpty but 10 games... He didn't bite it off... Did he even break the skin... :-)

5 woulda been more appropriate and I'm a Utd fan when it comes to Engurland btw.

hibsbollah
24-04-2013, 03:08 PM

Joey Barton 12 games (unbelievable i know) for a 'soft' headbutt and a kick in the thigh.

hibs4thecup1988
24-04-2013, 03:10 PM
These cases don't involve what he did previously though do they?

There are plenty of players in world football who are just as bad - Pepe and Ramos at Madrid both have been sent off many times and I think Ramos number of red card bans = close to a full season of games.

Would be surprised if Rodgers wants to sell his best player and make his team weaker and possibly cost him his managers job.

Might be out with his control. People above might say eniugh is enough

frazeHFC
24-04-2013, 03:14 PM
I agree a ban is needed, but seems biting hasn't always been punishable... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/6076094.stm

lucky
24-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Each case must be looked at individually , he has previous of biting in Holland, then his racism antics now this. I think he has got of lightly. In any other walk of life he would have been dismissed. But it's football. Liverpool yet again have handled this badly. If they had come out and suspended him till then end of the season and made public his fine then he might have got a slightly less ban. He is wonderful footballer but appears to be a horrible individual.

NYHibby
24-04-2013, 03:24 PM
They should loan him to Hearts as he won't have to serve out the rest of the ban that way. It has worked for Liverpool in the past...

hibsbollah
24-04-2013, 03:26 PM
LFCs response to the ban is they are 'surprised and disappointed'. Which is surprising and disappointing. No morality at that club anymore, which is a shame for the fans.

J-C
24-04-2013, 03:28 PM
So can anyone explain how you get a longer ban for biting than you get for racially abusing someone :confused::confused::confused:

hibsmad
24-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Liverpool should get rid as soon as possible. It doesn't matter how good a player he is, the club should simply say, we are better than this, and look to sell him in the summer.

The sad thing for me is that there would be a queue of top clubs looking to sign him. It's almost as if they would say "well he hasn't done anything disgraceful while at our club so it doesn't count".

The guy is a massive bell end.

DarlingtonHibee
24-04-2013, 03:34 PM
LFCs response to the ban is they are 'surprised and disappointed'. Which is surprising and disappointing. No morality at that club anymore, which is a shame for the fans.

:agree:

Skanko79
24-04-2013, 03:42 PM

Seen that, Liverpool are a joke of a club. Suarez is a wee rat.

LeighLoyal
24-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Way too harsh, but I suspect he knew what he was doing though and this might get him a 4m a year raise at Real Madrid, Barca or PSG for next year.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-04-2013, 04:01 PM
So can anyone explain how you get a longer ban for biting than you get for racially abusing someone :confused::confused::confused:

I'd much prefer to be racially abused than bitten.

JimBHibees
24-04-2013, 04:05 PM
6 game ban when he is a Real Madrid player seems harsh. :greengrin

jdships
24-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Don't forget we have our own ' Misbehavour ' !
One WILLIOAM WOODBURN esq, Rangers FC

http://soccer-football.knoji.com/willie-woodburn-sine-die/

Seveno
24-04-2013, 04:29 PM
I've lost what little respect I had for Liverpool FC. Once again trying to defend the indefensible.

Andy74
24-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Another 10 games holiday, with full wages.

What a treat!

Yeah. You'd think there'd be some way of not paying for prolonged banned periods! If I got done by the regulators at work I doubt 10 weeks watching Pawn Stars and Storage Wars on full pay would be the outcome.

DH1875
24-04-2013, 05:13 PM
So what did Defo get when he done it? Say he punched or kicked someone, would everyone want him band for life? Because of who he is, probably. Anyone who thinks Liverpool should bin a £30 million player is off their head.

gringojoe
24-04-2013, 05:31 PM
i'd much prefer to be racially abused than bitten.

honky!

weonlywon6-2
24-04-2013, 06:08 PM
The problem is Saurez has previous for this disgusting behaviour not just here but abroad as well.
IIRC at 14 he head butted an official in Uruguay resulting in the official having a broken nose. Biting whilst at Ajax . Racism and now this. As someone already pointed out since being at Liverpool he has received in total an 18 game ban. How the club or supporters can stand by him is disgusting as well.

Simple,they need him as he is their best player.Also,there will always be a club willing to have him,and pay big money for him.

Winston Ingram
24-04-2013, 06:10 PM
I think 10 games would be a lot for a 1st offence. The fact he's already got a 7 game ban from the Dutch FA for the same thing, add the racism offence and now this. It's normal that punishments get more severe the more people offend.:agree:

I'm just wondering what his next offence will be? The first ever Premier League in match rape?

pontius pilate
24-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Simple,they need him as he is their best player.Also,there will always be a club willing to have him,and pay big money for him.

I'm not denying Liverpool need him as he is their star man but to try an appeal this incident after what happened with the racist incident makes them out to be a poor club. However I will say you don't know what had happened behind closed doors with regards to the club and Suarez

Scouse Hibee
24-04-2013, 06:32 PM
I'm not denying Liverpool need him as he is their star man but to try an appeal this incident after what happened with the racist incident makes them out to be a poor club. However I will say you don't know what had happened behind closed doors with regards to the club and Suarez

On this occasion and to have any chance of salvaging what little respect if any folk have left for the club, any real punishment by the club needed to be shared publicly. Another opportunity missed by LFC!

CallumLaidlaw
24-04-2013, 06:40 PM
I reckon it's about right. He's served a previous 7 match ban for biting an opponent so it's only right for it to be increased. I don't think it can be compared to the racism incident as its a different kind of offence.

And regarding Defoe's incident, the FA couldn't do anything as the referee had already acted during the match, although Spurs could of done something, although they reacted like this -

Spurs boss Martin Jol described Defoe's bite as a "comical nibble".

"He was nibbling his arm - there will be no mark. Ask Mascherano if he has got a mark," said Jol.

Although Everton are my English team, I can't blame Liverpool for not getting rid in a way. He's by far their best player, and even now, has a big sell on value.

I got told today he'll have served a ban of 25 matches for Liverpool without getting sent off! Dunno how right that is, but if true, it's crazy

hibsbollah
24-04-2013, 06:46 PM
6 game ban when he is a Real Madrid player seems harsh. :greengrin

If he signs for a club overseas the suspension will still apply AFAIK. It did when Joey Barton went from QPR to OM anyway...

basehibby
24-04-2013, 07:01 PM

Because biting is worse?!? I'm not condoning racism in the slightest but personally I would rather be called a stingy sweaty sock basturd or somesuch than get bitten by some bestial moron who may or may not have brushed his teeth that day.

I may be wrong but I suspect the same could be said of the vast majority of people of all creeds and colours.

Scouse Hibee
24-04-2013, 07:07 PM

Quite simply one is name calling the other is a physical assault!

I've never bitten anyone............................................ .

HibeesLA
24-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Each case must be looked at individually , he has previous of biting in Holland, then his racism antics now this. I think he has got of lightly. In any other walk of life he would have been dismissed. But it's football. Liverpool yet again have handled this badly. If they had come out and suspended him till then end of the season and made public his fine then he might have got a slightly less ban. He is wonderful footballer but appears to be a horrible individual.

This is exactly my thoughts also. To try and line up an 8 match ban for racism against a 10 match ban for biting without taking into account the history of the individual isn't really a comparison. I also think he got off lightly, and would hope that Liverpool come out and publicly state that he's being fined wages for a good portion of that 10 match ban, otherwise, it doesn't seem like really much of a punishment at all.

Brizo
24-04-2013, 07:13 PM
The more I see of how clubs defend the indefensible or at best pay lip service to players misdemeanours, the more I think the game is morally bankrupt. I imagine if Shankly and Paisley were around today they would be disgusted at the continual disrepute Saurez brings to their club.

Biting another person is nursery school behaviour. To do it once at Ajax with the resultant consequences and then do it again at Lpool shows staggering stupidity and a lack of any self control. The length of the ban is totally justified given the players previous. The problem is Lpool need Suarez more than the player needs them. The old cliches turned on its head as nowadays no club is bigger than the player... when that players a marquee player of Suarez calibre. Suarez will be welcomed back after his ban and all will be forgiven....until the next incident.

Winston Ingram
24-04-2013, 07:43 PM
In defence of Liverpool, they are pish without him and the impact on them losing him is pretty severe:agree:

weonlywon6-2
24-04-2013, 08:53 PM

We dont need to know what happened behind closed doors.Matter of fact is he is the star man and they know.i think hes an idiot but understandy why they wont bin him.

easty
24-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Suarez 10 games, Defoe 0 games. Totally unfair. I'm not interested in the 'the ref gave him a yellow so we couldn't do anything' bollocks.

TornadoHibby
24-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Liverpool should get rid as soon as possible. It doesn't matter how good a player he is, the club should simply say, we are better than this, and look to sell him in the summer.

The sad thing for me is that there would be a queue of top clubs looking to sign him. It's almost as if they would say "well he hasn't done anything disgraceful while at our club so it doesn't count".

The guy is a massive bell end.

This! :agree:

Sir David Gray
25-04-2013, 10:33 AM
As far as I'm concerned, Liverpool should accept the ban and move on. For them to state that they are "shocked" by the length of the ban is beyond belief. Although when you consider the shameful way in which they handled the racism incident with Evra, maybe it shouldn't come as such a surprise.

Luis Suarez BIT another human being during a match. He didn't just give him a little nudge in the back of the head or a kick in the family jewels. He sunk his teeth into Ivanovic's arm and bit him!

Never mind the ban, he's fortunate he's avoided being arrested and charged with assault.

Suarez is a horrible little man and he should shut his mouth (literally) and be thankful that he's still got a job. Most people who had bitten someone whilst they were at work would be sacked on the spot.

If Liverpool have the audacity to lodge an appeal against the length of the ban, I hope the FA double it to 20 games.

jonty
25-04-2013, 11:55 AM
As a persistent offender he got off lightly, IMO.
Mind you it still baffles that you can get longer for failing to take a drugs test, then actually failing it.
Bans should be compounded - 8 games for biting the last time + 8 games for biting this time - 16 games (roughly 4 months)

Longest bans handed out by FA
•9 months - Manchester United's Eric Cantona for 'kung-fu' kicking a supporter in 1995
•9 months - Chelsea keeper Mark Bosnich who tested positive for cocaine in 2003
•8 months - Rio Ferdinand of Manchester United for missing a drugs test in 2003
•7 months - Sacked Chelsea striker Adrian Mutu for failing a drug test in 2004
•12 games - QPR's Joey Barton for two counts of violent conduct against Manchester City players in 2012
•11 games - Sheffield Wednesday's Paolo Di Canio for pushing referee Paul Alcock in 1998
•10 games - Southampton's David Prutton for shoving referee Alan Wiley in 2005
•10 games - Luis Suarez for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic in 2013
•9 games - Paul Davis of Arsenal for punching Southampton's Glenn Cockerill in 1988 and breaking his jaw
•8 games - Luis Suarez for racially abusing Patrice Evra in 2011
•8 games - Man City's Ben Thatcher for elbowing Portsmouth's Pedro Mendes in 2006

lapsedhibee
25-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Luis Suarez BIT another human being during a match. He didn't just give him a little nudge in the back of the head or a kick in the family jewels. He sunk his teeth into Ivanovic's arm and bit him!

Did he?

calumhibee1
25-04-2013, 12:17 PM

I can safely say I'd rather be racially abused than bitten to be honest.

calumhibee1
25-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Mind you it still baffles that you can get longer for failing to take a drugs test, then actually failing it.
Bans should be compounded - 8 games for biting the last time + 8 games for biting this time - 16 games (roughly 4 months)

If it was the other way around and you knew you'd fail a drug test you'd just not turn up and take the shorter ban.

truehibernian
25-04-2013, 12:22 PM
The more I see of how clubs defend the indefensible or at best pay lip service to players misdemeanours, the more I think the game is morally bankrupt. I imagine if Shankly and Paisley were around today they would be disgusted at the continual disrepute Saurez brings to their club.

Biting another person is nursery school behaviour. To do it once at Ajax with the resultant consequences and then do it again at Lpool shows staggering stupidity and a lack of any self control. The length of the ban is totally justified given the players previous. The problem is Lpool need Suarez more than the player needs them. The old cliches turned on its head as nowadays no club is bigger than the player... when that players a marquee player of Suarez calibre. Suarez will be welcomed back after his ban and all will be forgiven....until the next incident.

You seem to forget that Shankly and Paisley had players in their sides who weren't afraid to play very dirty and go 'unpunished'. Yes it was a different era, but are you not forgetting Franny Lee, Norman Hunter, Billy Bremner, Kevin Keegan, Ron Harris, et all ?

It happened then, it happens now - not defending it but in a sport like football you'll always always get 'Heid the ba's' like Suarez.

Skanko79
25-04-2013, 12:24 PM
"absurd and unfair" according to pepe reina http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22295309

they really have no shame do they?

jonty
25-04-2013, 12:36 PM
If it was the other way around and you knew you'd fail a drug test you'd just not turn up and take the shorter ban.
What happened to innocent until proven guilty? :greengrin
Yes - guilty of taking drugs should lead to a long (or permanent) ban , but he's guilty of assault - if he'd broken the skin when biting, and drawn blood, what then?
If Di Canio had bitten the ref, it wouldn't have been 11 games he'd be banned for.

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/10199508.Man_jailed_for_biting_doorman/
one month jail term for 'nipping' a doorman.

Stevie Reid
25-04-2013, 12:58 PM
I posted about Suarez last season saying how ridiculous it was that after the incidents with Evra, and scoring the amount of goals that you would expect a £24M player to score (as well as missing lots of sitters), he was awarded a new, improved contract - despite only being a couple of years into a five and half year deal. I still stand by that - whilst he has been superb this season in a playing sense, clearly rewarding a player who acted so petulantly in such a public way to Evra, has backfired, and he continues to act so ridiculously.

10 games seems fair enough - I'm sure the FA would have looked at the ban for the Evra incident, and the fact that he clearly hasn't learned from it, not to mention that he was previously banned for 7 games for the same crime by a different FA, and didn't learn from that either.

It also shouldn't be overlooked that Suarez could eat an apple through a letterbox, I can't think of a player whose gnashers could do more damage (and Suarez proper tried to scran Ivanovic, it wasn't a love bite) - so the severity of the ban could also be related to how dangerous his teeth are. Had Craig Burley bitten a player during his playing days, I'd imagine a telling off from the referee would have been the worst he'd have gotten.

JimBHibees
25-04-2013, 01:02 PM

Is a failed drug test not a set 2 year ban?

Captain Trips
25-04-2013, 01:05 PM

I would say its more totting up than the offence itself. I think his ban for the racial stuff was right he has now decided to act like a bell end in a different way and taking all things into consideration the ban has been increased as clearly lessons not learned. This ban doesnt say to me one thing is worse than other it says to me that ban level increases as lessons not learned.

On the Defoe firstly Defoe thing was a mistake how it was handled and hopefully that will not happen again but because Defoe incident there was no punishment and was poorly handled that shouldnt have give Suarez any leaniency 6/7 yrs on.

Im sure if he was involved in another race issue the ban would be greater than 10.

truehibernian
25-04-2013, 01:06 PM
I posted about Suarez last season saying how ridiculous it was that after the incidents with Evra, and scoring the amount of goals that you would expect a £24M player to score (as well as missing lots of sitters), he was awarded a new, improved contract - despite only being a couple of years into a five and half year deal. I still stand by that - whilst he has been superb this season in a playing sense, clearly rewarding a player who acted so petulantly in such a public way to Evra, has backfired, and he continues to act so ridiculously.

10 games seems fair enough - I'm sure the FA would have looked at the ban for the Evra incident, and the fact that he clearly hasn't learned from it, not to mention that he was previously banned for 7 games for the same crime by a different FA, and didn't learn from that either.

It also shouldn't be overlooked that Suarez could eat an apple through a letterbox, I can't think of a player whose gnashers could do more damage (and Suarez proper tried to scran Ivanovic, it wasn't a love bite) - so the severity of the ban could also be related to how dangerous his teeth are. Had Craig Burley bitten a player during his playing days, I'd imagine a telling off from the referee would have been the worst he'd have gotten.

And had big Doug Rougvie done it the opposing player would have been none the wiser !

jonty
25-04-2013, 01:37 PM

:faf: harsh but true

Is a failed drug test not a set 2 year ban?

I was just going by the actual punishments handed out by the FA rather than reading the rulebook. :greengrin

JimBHibees
25-04-2013, 01:57 PM
I was just going by the actual punishments handed out by the FA rather than reading the rulebook. :greengrin

I think it is the recommendation of the World Anti-doping Agency WADA that any failed or missed drug test should be a 2 year ban however the FA in Ferdinand's case decided to a reduced sentence.

Stevie Reid
25-04-2013, 02:09 PM
And had big Doug Rougvie done it the opposing player would have been none the wiser !

:greengrin

25-04-2013, 02:13 PM

What did Keane say in his autobiography like?

Stevie Reid
25-04-2013, 02:38 PM
What did Keane say in his autobiography like?

He made headlines again in the 2001 Manchester derby, a game in which Alf-Inge Håland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alf-Inge_H%C3%A5land) played. Five minutes from the final whistle, he was sent off for a blatant knee-high foul on the Norwegian in what was seen by many as an act of revenge.[34] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Keane#cite_note-34) He initially received a three game suspension and a £5,000 fine from the FA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_FA), but further punishment was to follow after the release of Keane's autobiography in August 2002, in which he stated that he intended "to hurt" Håland. Keane's account of the incident was as follows:

I'd waited long enough. I ****ing hit him hard. The ball was there (I think). Take that you ****. And don't ever stand over me sneering about fake injuries.[35] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Keane#cite_note-quotes-35)

An admission that the tackle was in fact a premeditated assault, it left the FA with no choice but to charge Keane with bringing the game into disrepute.[36] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Keane#cite_note-36) He was banned for a further five matches and fined £150,000 in the ensuing investigation. Despite widespread condemnation,[37] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Keane#cite_note-37) he later maintained in his autobiography that he had no regrets about the incident: "My attitude was, **** him. What goes around comes around. He got his just rewards. He ****ed me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."[35] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Keane#cite_note-quotes-35)

Håland later implied that the tackle effectively finished his playing career as he never played a full game afterwards.[38] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Keane#cite_note-38) However Håland did complete the match and played the following game being substituted in the 68th minute.[39] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Keane#cite_note-39) He also played a friendly for Norway in between both games.[40] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Keane#cite_note-40) It was in fact a long-standing injury to his left knee that ended his career rather than his right.[41] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Keane#cite_note-41) Keane's admission in his autobiography that he had deliberately set out to injure Håland did little to endear him to neutral followers of the game. Keane has never expressed any remorse for what he did.[citation needed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)]

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-04-2013, 03:44 PM
I'd love to see Adrian Chiles attempt to interview Keane about that incident.

lapsedhibee
25-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Rodgers now (BBC site):

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers believes the FA has "punished the man" rather than the actual offence by giving striker Luis Suarez a 10-match ban for biting Branislav Ivanovic.

Uruguay's Suarez, 26, admitted a charge of violent conduct after the 2-2 draw at Anfield on Sunday.

Rodgers told LFC TV: "The punishment is against the man, rather than the incident.

"We have a punishment with no intention of helping [his] rehabilitation."

FFS! Punished the man rather than the offence? Was it Casper or Suarez who did it? Helping his rehabilitation? WTF?
'puddle have become a joke of a club. Beyond dislikeable now - a complete joke. :bitchy:

Scouse Hibee
25-04-2013, 05:30 PM
Rodgers now (BBC site):

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers believes the FA has "punished the man" rather than the actual offence by giving striker Luis Suarez a 10-match ban for biting Branislav Ivanovic.

Uruguay's Suarez, 26, admitted a charge of violent conduct after the 2-2 draw at Anfield on Sunday.

Rodgers told LFC TV: "The punishment is against the man, rather than the incident.

FFS! Punished the man rather than the offence? Was it Casper or Suarez who did it? Helping his rehabilitation? WTF?
'puddle have become a joke of a club. Beyond dislikeable now - a complete joke. :bitchy:

:agree: Brendan Rodgers is indeed correct despite his rather novel way of putting it. The 10 game ban is because it is Luis Suarez no doubt about it, no other player would receive a lenghty ban for such an offence.

Now Brendan go away and take a ****** look at the previous incidents of Mr Suarez and the subsequent punishments and tell us if they rehabilitated him. Then open your ****** eyes to the truth that the man should be no where near LFC and empty the clown or stop crying about punishments that wouldn't have come about if the club had dealt with him properly in the first place!

Winston Ingram
25-04-2013, 05:59 PM
I would say its more totting up than the offence itself. I think his ban for the racial stuff was right he has now decided to act like a bell end in a different way and taking all things into consideration the ban has been increased as clearly lessons not learned. This ban doesnt say to me one thing is worse than other it says to me that ban level increases as lessons not learned.

On the Defoe firstly Defoe thing was a mistake how it was handled and hopefully that will not happen again but because Defoe incident there was no punishment and was poorly handled that shouldnt have give Suarez any leaniency 6/7 yrs on.

Im sure if he was involved in another race issue the ban would be greater than 10.

He was warned about his future conduct after the Evra incident.

If he had never racially abused Evra or previously bitten anyone I'd imagine the ban would likely be half

worcesterhibby
25-04-2013, 06:51 PM
So what did Defo get when he done it? Say he punched or kicked someone, would everyone want him band for life? Because of who he is, probably. Anyone who thinks Liverpool should bin a £30 million player is off their head.

That's the problem though. That's what money has done to the game. Suarez is a financial asset. Liverpools owners do not want to lose money, so basically he could cut the legs of a ballboy with a chainsaw and spit in the face of a Hillsborough victims mum and Liverpool would still be backing him and asking for leniency and that he needs help being rehabilitated.

The FA may have punished the "Man" not the crime. But Liverpool are defending the "cash" not the player.

Very sad. Liverpool are not the only ones either. Chelsea have stuck by that excuse of a man Terry for years no matter what he does.

It's another reason why I'm glad I'm a Hibs fan not a EPL team fan...we don't have anyone worth anything.

Brizo
25-04-2013, 06:57 PM
You seem to forget that Shankly and Paisley had players in their sides who weren't afraid to play very dirty and go 'unpunished'. Yes it was a different era, but are you not forgetting Franny Lee, Norman Hunter, Billy Bremner, Kevin Keegan, Ron Harris, et all ?

It happened then, it happens now - not defending it but in a sport like football you'll always always get 'Heid the ba's' like Suarez.

Fair point TH but were they guilty of biting like Suarez. Theres a world of difference between the phyical assault style tackles that were part and parcel of the game back then and the cowardly snide biting done by Suarez. I was a bairn at the time but dont recall seeing any of the ones you mention above biting anyone on our black and white cooncil telly.

In a sport like football and i emphasise the word sport biting is totally unacceptable. To try and minimise his behaviour by saying theres always been "heid the bas " doesnt wash with me... his repeat behaviour for me is way beyond any misdemeanours from any of the 60s and 70s players you quote.

Eyrie
25-04-2013, 07:21 PM
:agree: Brendan Rodgers is indeed correct despite his rather novel way of putting it. The 10 game ban is because it is Luis Suarez no doubt about it, no other player would receive a lenghty ban for such an offence.

Now Brendan go away and take a ****** look at the previous incidents of Mr Suarez and the subsequent punishments and tell us if they rehabilitated him. Then open your ****** eyes to the truth that the man should be no where near LFC and empty the clown or stop crying about punishments that wouldn't have come about if the club had dealt with him properly in the first place!
Agreed - Suarez has both previous for this offence in Holland and another ban already for racial abuse so he has to be treated differently to a first offender.

lapsedhibee
25-04-2013, 07:21 PM

I was a bairn at the time but dont recall seeing any of the ones you mention above biting anyone on our black and white cooncil telly.

The full gore probably didn't come across in black and white, but one of them did actually bite yer legs. Oh yes. :agree:

Sir David Gray
25-04-2013, 10:02 PM
Rodgers now (BBC site):

Typical Liverpool response.

Even when it's the club, or someone representing them, at fault it's actually someone else to blame.

When you have a grown man going around biting people, the first reaction by the authorities has to be to punish him, for no other reason than to protect others from that kind of behaviour. If you haven't learned by the age of 26 that it's wrong to bite people then I don't see what rehabilitation will achieve.

weonlywon6-2
26-04-2013, 04:56 AM
Going to play devils advocate here.Say on Monday night Leigh Griffiths bit the arm of an Aberdeen player and the incident was not seen by the ref, what reaction do you think we would have on here-

A - it was a bit stupid but the Dons player didnt get hurt and he should remember its a mans game,or

B- get rid of Griffiths now back to Wloves and we dont ever want to see him again

C- none of the above

???

CallumLaidlaw
26-04-2013, 07:43 AM
Going to play devils advocate here.Say on Monday night Leigh Griffiths bit the arm of an Aberdeen player and the incident was not seen by the ref, what reaction do you think we would have on here-

A - it was a bit stupid but the Dons player didnt get hurt and he should remember its a mans game,or

B- get rid of Griffiths now back to Wloves and we dont ever want to see him again

C- none of the above

???

As much as I would still keep him because of his ability, I would expect him to get a lengthy ban, so would be pointless him staying here.

jonty
26-04-2013, 08:12 AM
As much as I would still keep him because of his ability, I would expect him to get a lengthy ban, so would be pointless him staying here.
And as a first time nibbler, we'd be pretty shocked.
Wolves wouldn't then recall him and he'd be free to court controversy with some racial abuse next season at Hibs and when his second nibbling escapade is brought to light, we'd want to get rid.

Unless he was sucking someone's thumb and not biting it off. That would be acceptable.:agree:

Joking aside, we've moved on troublesome players in the past and known very little about the circumstances.

weonlywon6-2
26-04-2013, 08:43 AM
And as a first time nibbler, we'd be pretty shocked.
Wolves wouldn't then recall him and he'd be free to court controversy with some racial abuse next season at Hibs and when his second nibbling escapade is brought to light, we'd want to get rid.

Unless he was sucking someone's thumb and not biting it off. That would be acceptable.:agree:

Joking aside, we've moved on troublesome players in the past and known very little about the circumstances.

brilliant,made me laugh !!:thumbsup:

Just cant help thinking that if the same path had happened with Griffiths with us would we be wearing green tinted glasses??

Sir David Gray
26-04-2013, 10:24 AM

C- none of the above

???

None of the above.

I wouldn't say that I wanted rid of him but I would expect him to get a lengthy ban and wouldn't be making a big song and dance about it when the authorities handed that out to him.

JimBHibees
26-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Got to be said Brendan Rodgers comments yesterday were ridiculous. Suarez is being picked on, not the offence but the player they are banning, he does it because he is South American (obviously because they are all animals and go around biting each other) :rolleyes:

You would have thought given how much as idiot Dalglish made of the last Suarez episode the manager and the club would have learned their lesson. Apparently not.

iwasthere1972
26-04-2013, 12:26 PM
A spokesman for Luis Saurez has said that if Saurez had been told at the beginning of the season that he would score 20+ goals this season he would have bitten your hand off.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-04-2013, 12:33 PM
I saw Brendan Rodgers' interview on SSN this morning, thought it was a wee bit embarassing some of the stuff that he was coming out with. The new owners need to employ a new PR man methinks.

Captain Trips
26-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Got to be said Brendan Rodgers comments yesterday were ridiculous. Suarez is being picked on, not the offence but the player they are banning, he does it because he is South American (obviously because they are all animals and go around biting each other) :rolleyes:

You would have thought given how much as idiot Dalglish made of the last Suarez episode the manager and the club would have learned their lesson. Apparently not.

Just shows you the real extent of player power when you are of high value, I bet you if it were a fringe player that had these issues or a player that was expendable transfer fee wise to a fair enough level Rodgers and club will have been totally different as it stands Suarez is probably worth over £20m so he will get support from manager.

Suarez fined some wages but will continue on megabucks and if he was sold or sacked (no chance of sack)as "punishment" then it would be to just as big if not bigger club on probably more wages. They really do have it good.

silverhibee
26-04-2013, 01:56 PM

:agree:

Moon unit
26-04-2013, 04:01 PM
He was warned about his future conduct after the Evra incident.

If he had never racially abused Evra or previously bitten anyone I'd imagine the ban would likely be half

Evra is no Angel!....attacked a groundsman, only got a 4 game ban!!!

Hibercelona
26-04-2013, 05:05 PM
I thought people went to jail for assaults like that.

Clearly not football players who are closer to god than the rest of us.

Tynie01011973
26-04-2013, 08:54 PM
Evra is no Angel!....attacked a groundsman, only got a 4 game ban!!!

What relevance does this have to Suarez's ban ? Think you will find that Chelski/Groundsman were found to be more at fault than Evra - hardly surprising !!!

Suarez was given a 9 game ban ( 2 match from Ajax ) followed by a 7 game ban from the Dutch FA for his little 'nibble' on the PSV guys neck
He then follows up by biting Ivanovic, totally unprovoked btw, yet Rogers is disappointed at the ban given is more than the basic 3 games for violent conduct ?
FFS, he has previous so any 'further punishment' must relect this

Liverpool FC have let themselves down big time over the last couple of years by defending the indefensible - should have just sucked it up and got on with what they had to do.

King Dogleish has a lot to answer for

:wink:

Speedy
26-04-2013, 09:09 PM
I voted 'about right' but I don't think the offence was that serious. I don't think it was intended as a violent attack, I think he was looking for a reaction and a penalty as a result.

Pete
27-04-2013, 12:52 AM
Off the park, Suarez is apparently a gentleman. A real family man who never gets into any sort of bother and keeps himself to himself.

I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like him on the park though. An absolute force of nature. The positives are there to see and I think he is one of the best strikers in the world right now.
The negatives are also there...racial abuse, diving and two biting incidents. More disturbingly, there are all these sneaky, off-the-ball incidents where he does something outrageous like leave his foot in or take a fly kick. TV pick them up and on some occasions they could have really hurt the opponent.

He's a true Jekyll and Hyde character and it's as if the psychopath in him comes out when he crosses the white line.

I honestly wouldn't know what to do with him.

EdinMike
27-04-2013, 02:16 AM
Knew when he cheated Ghana out of that semi final I had a new hate figure.

The fact he signed for Liverpool years later emphasised my hatred. :cb

Pete
27-04-2013, 03:43 AM
Knew when he cheated Ghana out of that semi final I had a new hate figure.

The fact he signed for Liverpool years later emphasised my hatred. :cb

A Ghanaian Manchester United fan?

Nothing unusual nowadays. No wonder football is ****ed outside the big leagues.

EdinMike
27-04-2013, 04:29 AM
A Ghanaian Manchester United fan?

Nothing unusual nowadays. No wonder football is ****ed outside the big leagues.

Hate Man Utd too pal. If you have to know my English team is Bury.

Blew your mind... :cb

Lucius Apuleius
27-04-2013, 06:40 AM
I bit someone's neck once in a loose scrum way back around 1968 when loose scrums were still allowed. Managed to draw blood and that was actually the reason I got caught, I had blood running down my chin. Sent off but not banned. :greengrin Just saying.

PS. I have matured since then and cannot condone any acts of violence whatsoever. This instance was deserved by the fact he squeezed my nuts first. High School of Stirling v Alva Academy.