PDA

View Full Version : Lennon the Hibee.

vercol36
21-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Danny, not Neil.

Does anyone have any memories or info regarding his time at Hibs? Wikipedia is fairly bereft of information. Apparently he was with us for 6 years but only appeared 37 times?

weedgiehibbie
21-04-2013, 10:05 PM
I liked wee Danny in his time at hibs.

I think the 1st youngster i saw come into the hibs team i will aways vididly remeber the 3-1 game v aberdeen (not just cause the highlights are now on youtube :greengrin ) where he scored a cracking third goal. Also i cluld see myself and the old man in the cowshed inthe highlights hurrah! :greengrin

I gave an excellent match report in my primary school diary on the Monday after it. Well it was better reporting that the cr@p you got then/get now in the papars :thumbsup:

Would rather have D lennon in that team that Findlay or Farrell.

Baader
21-04-2013, 10:37 PM
Good little player who was underused and underrated by Alex Miller during his time at Hibs. Unfortunate maybe he didn't play under anyone else for us as may have have got more games. Surprised at the appearances you mention - thought it still would have been more than that...

Treadstone
21-04-2013, 10:55 PM
As Baader says underused in the Alex Miller era. Dannys problem was that as an attacking midfielder he liked to play in the opposition half. Miller hated this as the only players he liked to see there were the strikers.

Kato
21-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Was never the same after he had his leg snapped in two in a reserve derby by (I think) Blobbo. One great game against Aberdeen when he ran them ragged but that injury was a bad one.

oldbutdim
21-04-2013, 11:30 PM
Was never the same after he had his leg snapped in two in a reserve derby by (I think) Blobbo. One great game against Aberdeen when he ran them ragged but that injury was a bad one.

I seem to remember Calum Milne wanting to sort this out -and I don't think he was even playing at the time.
:agree:

Kato
21-04-2013, 11:43 PM
I seem to remember Calum Milne wanting to sort this out -and I don't think he was even playing at the time.

Geebsie had a go in the full derby later that day. Red carded iirc.

LeighLoyal
21-04-2013, 11:59 PM
I was at that Aberdeen game, he was the main man that day vs a good Aberdeen side. I always recall the look of disgust on Scott Booth's face when Jackson scored.

NOLA
22-04-2013, 12:07 AM
The aberdeen game at ER stands out for me when remembering danny, 2nd half in particular ran the show, not sure if the sheep had someone sent off in that game or a game earlier/later in the season?

Mixu62
22-04-2013, 12:53 AM
Was unfortunate to emerge as a talented right wing/midfielder at a time when we had Mickey Weir then Kevin McCallister in the team. When he did get a game i don't remember him ever letting us down, scored a cracking double vs Aberdeen at ER once. Liked him when he moved to Raith too.

jgl07
22-04-2013, 12:57 AM
I remember Danny Lennon well.

His appearances were sporadic. The departure if Pat McGinlay to Celtic might have opened things up for him but Alex Miller preferred to play Brian Hamilton and Davey Farrell in central midfield. Lennon was shipped off to Raith Rovers.

His finest hour at Easter Road probably came against Bayern Munich for Raith Rovers. He scored in the away leg at the Olympic Stadium to put Raith 1-0 up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2kRWyEVu-0

HIBERNIAN-0762
22-04-2013, 06:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwVjIa0hceQ

:thumbsup:

jdships
22-04-2013, 07:51 AM
Reasonable player by any standards but didn't appear to fit with Alex miller's playing style
Sadly his broken leg , while not ending his career , certainly hampered it and was never really the same again
All the same Hibs got a transfer fee when he moved to Raith ( £ 30000 ?)
Although born in Whitburn , I believe, he chose to play for Nth I and got one 'B' Cap

Saorsa
22-04-2013, 07:57 AM

:thumbsup:That's that one game and goal that still sticks out in my mind about Lennon, great finish

Stevie Reid
22-04-2013, 08:22 AM
I remember that Aberdeen game well as well, superb performance against a good Aberdeen team - we had quite a number of storming second half performances down the slope under Miller between 1993-95.

Danny was a great prospect, and it does seem that we let him go too early.

JimBHibees
22-04-2013, 08:27 AM
I remember that Aberdeen game well as well, superb performance against a good Aberdeen team - we had quite a number of storming second half performances down the slope under Miller between 1993-95.

Danny was a great prospect, and it does seem that we let him go too early.

Agree thought he was an excellent player in that very good Raith team including Cameron and Crawford etc. He was deployed in a more central role and ran the game for them. Can remember Raith totally outplaying Hibs in the cup at ER in one of Duffy's last games in charge?

Stevie Reid
22-04-2013, 08:31 AM
Agree thought he was an excellent player in that very good Raith team including Cameron and Crawford etc. He was deployed in a more central role and ran the game for them. Can remember Raith totally outplaying Hibs in the cup at ER in one of Duffy's last games in charge?

Former Jambo John Millar scored two that day, Keith Wright was playing too IIRC.

Seanair
22-04-2013, 08:59 AM
As Baader says underused in the Alex Miller era. Dannys problem was that as an attacking midfielder he liked to play in the opposition half. Miller hated this as the only players he liked to see there were the strikers.

Might be mixing up games, but think I saw him playing v Hearts at Tynie when he ran about like a wee flea (I know fleas don't run but you know what I mean).
And was this the game where Miller had Mickey Weir playing at centre-forward?

He's turned out to be not a bad manager, especially with the little money he has to spend.

Paisley Hibby
22-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Seem to remember him coming on as a susbstitute in the Gordon Rae testimonial against Manchester Utd. He looked tiny!

clerriehibs
22-04-2013, 10:50 AM

McGinlay.

sahib
22-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Did Lee Bailey and him make their debuts in the same match? :confused:

ballengeich
22-04-2013, 01:01 PM
The aberdeen game at ER stands out for me when remembering danny, 2nd half in particular ran the show, not sure if the sheep had someone sent off in that game or a game earlier/later in the season?

Lennon was wasted by Alex Miller. His best days came after he moved to Raith and was used as a passing midfielder instead of being reserve right wing to Micky Weir. He could have done far more if he'd played for us in his best position.

heretoday
22-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Hibs had another right winger in those days called David Fellinger who scored against Hearts at ER one time. he was highly thought of but never made it either.

JimBHibees
22-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Hibs had another right winger in those days called David Fellinger who scored against Celtic at ER one time. he was highly thought of but never made it either.

Danny did make it though. Raith Rovers/Partick etc

Stevie Reid
22-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Danny did make it though. Raith Rovers/Partick etc

Scored against Bayern Munich in the Olympic Stadium in the UEFA Cup - slightly different to Fellinger!

Kato
22-04-2013, 04:15 PM

:thumbsup:

Thanks, lovely to see that again.

eastterrace
22-04-2013, 06:01 PM
I liked wee Danny in his time at hibs.

I think the 1st youngster i saw come into the hibs team i will aways vididly remeber the 3-1 game v aberdeen (not just cause the highlights are now on youtube :greengrin ) where he scored a cracking third goal. Also i cluld see myself and the old man in the cowshed inthe highlights hurrah! :greengrin

I gave an excellent match report in my primary school diary on the Monday after it. Well it was better reporting that the cr@p you got then/get now in the papars :thumbsup:

Would rather have D lennon in that team that Findlay or Farrell.

sorry dont agree danny wasnt very good but billy findlay had a touch o class about him, but he never quite fulfilled his potential