PDA

View Full Version : When did you first get hooked on Hibs??

Mister P
21-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Everyone has that one game, often their first game, when they had that experience that hooked them.

For me it was during the Blackley era. A midweek game in the old west stand. I remember walking up the steps with the blast of floodlights in my eyes, peering out onto the illuminated pitch and seeing the men that would become my heros. Think it was maybe a sc game, hibs v Ayr or something like that. I was hooked!!
Little did I know the future was to bring me many times if joy, elation, anguish and pain.
Why do we invest do much passion into whichever team we chose to follow?

Here's hoping there's a new chapter to be written soon.

pontius pilate
21-04-2013, 06:47 PM
My first game was away to the Arabs in the 80's I remember being on my dads mates shoulders he was on leave from Germany when a Arab fan ran up and hit him square on the nose. As you can imagine a few fists were flying after that.

JohnStephens91
21-04-2013, 06:56 PM
I was given a Hibs scarf at birth by my granddad, it still regularly comes to games with me, but I didn't attend a Hibs game until 2000. I remember my dad never forced Hibs on me, I asked him one day if he could take me to a game. Dundee United at Easter Road on August 5th in the West Stand. It was an experience I'll always remember as we got into the game with about 5 minutes until kickoff and he was telling me everything, then Agathe scored early on and I think that was it sealed there and then.

The smell of the old pie stand, the raucous celebrations, the skill and beauty of the game, the magnificent players in green running around and playing out their skin. That was it for me. 8 years old at the time and 13 years later nothing else has changed other than I get much more stressed. I'd never trade being a Hibs fan for anything else in the world - they are the club of my family and I was hooked on the first experience. I can only hope that when I have children they feel the same about the team.

Baldy Foghorn
21-04-2013, 06:57 PM
I was taken to a game, by a Neighbour who was taking his son.....I was only about 6, and was mesmorised by the crowd, the noise, the colour of our strips, everything........It was exciting going to a game when I was so young, and I loved it, totally hooked and thankfully have had many great occasions, and met many friends through following Hibs......

MSK
21-04-2013, 07:04 PM
Clydebank at home 2/1/78 ..we won 2-0 ..:thumbsup:

Att - 8284 ..

Up The Bracket
21-04-2013, 07:06 PM
It was my first year as a Season Ticket Holder, I think I was 8 or 9. We were 2-0 down to Kilmarnock at half time, I think James Fowler scored one. We fought back and won 4-2, I even remember our scorers. Gary Caldwell, two Boozy headers and Riordan got one. I was only 8 or 9 but that game will stay with me until the day that I die.

Pretty Boy
21-04-2013, 07:08 PM
I was given a scarf and Hibs teddy the day I was born. My family history is also genuinely steeped in Hibs history so there was never really a choice.

As for when I chose to allow myself to be hooked i'm not sure. A game against Partick Thistle in the early 90s with a late winner has always stuck in my mind so maybe that. I also remember being genuinely gutted when we lost the 93 league cup final.

If I could invest as much emotion, time and money in other things as I have Hibs then i'd probably be very rich and successful.

shezer
21-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Cork City FC v Hibernian FC 2005 Cork Capital of Culture Cup...:flag:

Kenny1875
21-04-2013, 07:55 PM
This was my first game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjMK2oRF1Z8

That is all.

fat freddy
21-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Cork City FC v Hibernian FC 2005 Cork Capital of Culture Cup...:flag:

how can we forget this one....another comeback from 3-0 down if my memory serves me well....it went to a 3-3 draw after some guy called georgie tore us up in the first half...penalty decider and we lost!....i think mccluskey was the culprit who missed in the shoot out....great night though as we all went back to the hi-b bar and got smashed.

gillythehibby
21-04-2013, 08:04 PM
I was too young to remember my first game. My old man had me at ER when i was about 2. never had a choice thankfully. My old man a hibby, my grandad a hibby and my graet grandad came over from ireland when Hibs founded :-)

jane_says
21-04-2013, 08:17 PM
Being the only Hibby in my entire family I didn't get to go to many games when I was younger. First game was a 1-1 draw at home to Killlie, Kevin McAllister scored at the back post and Paul Wright equalised in the second half. I'll never forget it because my wee brother who was about 4 shouted 'let's shoot Jim Leighton' after they scored.

First game on my own with my mate was the AEK game. After that all the pocket money went on a season ticket for the next year.

Scouse Hibee
21-04-2013, 08:37 PM
1990 attended my first ever Scottish football match at Tynecastle, I think the Jambo's were playing Dunfermline made my mind up after that game it has to be Hibs!

clerriehibs
21-04-2013, 08:46 PM
1974, v Morton ... my dad finally took me after much nagging. 0-0 at half-time, 5 nil at full time, all 5 banged in down the slope into the shed (I never knew it as the cave) ... I thought all games were like that ... sadly not ... at least, not until last week!

jdships
21-04-2013, 09:09 PM
I was taken to my first game at ER in December 1940 by my uncle who had played for the club in the 1920's ( goalkeeper) and after the game we went into the the room where the players had a meal and I was introduced to

JIMMY KERR
The goalkeeper who went on to play 265 games for Hibs from 1939 to 1952
Funny how little things stick in your mind - Jimmy gave me the laces from his boots as a keepsake !! ( it was war time !!) and he became my hero !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had the pleasure of playing against him once , at ER, just before he retired !!
:greengrin:flag:

weedgiehibbie
21-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Had been to a few games prior to it by my 1st game where i went "radge" at was a game at home v Motherwell in the early 90's - a 3-2 win being aged 9 i reckon.

Having blamed Graeme Mitchell for both Mothwell goals i said to my old man ond to the wee lassie beside me - no idea who she was - that Mitchell would score the winner cue me going bezerk when he got his napper on the end of i think Tortolano's cross to score the winner at the front post in a 3-2 win

Kato
21-04-2013, 09:30 PM
1990 attended my first ever Scottish football match at Tynecastle, I think the Jambo's were playing Dunfirmline made my mind up after that game it has to be Hibs!

Your journey mirrors that of many of the more tasteful and intelligent incomers to our fair City. :wink:

Seven up
21-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Everyone has that one game, often their first game, when they had that experience that hooked them.

For me it was during the Blackley era. A midweek game in the old west stand. I remember walking up the steps with the blast of floodlights in my eyes, peering out onto the illuminated pitch and seeing the men that would become my heros. Think it was maybe a sc game, hibs v Ayr or something like that. I was hooked!!
Little did I know the future was to bring me many times if joy, elation, anguish and pain.

1980 season for me....also the old West....seeing the pitch for the first time and amazed that the guys I'd only ever seen on the telly were in front of me. My Idols like Des Bremner...(Super) Ally Mcleod...Jackie Mac....Ralph Callachan et al....WE GOT PUMPED 0-5 as Aberdeen won the league....my Uncle made us leave at 0-3 but went back the following Season in the 1st Division....

Notahappyhibee
21-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Hearing the roar on Saturday when I was a kid whilst playing in the links in the seventies made me want to go but my dad was a Stirling Albion fan so had to wait until I could go by myself ;(

Seven up
21-04-2013, 09:44 PM
1980 season for me....also the old West....seeing the pitch for the first time and amazed that the guys I'd only ever seen on the telly were in front of me. My Idols like Des Bremner...(Super) Ally Mcleod...Jackie Mac....Ralph Callachan et al....WE GOT PUMPED 0-5 as Aberdeen won the league....my Uncle made us leave at 0-3 but went back the following Season in the 1st Division....

Oh...and I got a Wagon Wheel...they were MUCH bigger back then :greengrin

surreyhibbie
21-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Pre season friendly against Newcastle United, around 1968, my mate took me to my first game, I couldn't believe the size of the crowd and the view from
the top of the old East terracing. Took my breath away.

0-0 but I was hooked.

shezer
21-04-2013, 10:27 PM
how can we forget this one....another comeback from 3-0 down if my memory serves me well....it went to a 3-3 draw after some guy called georgie tore us up in the first half...penalty decider and we lost!....i think mccluskey was the culprit who missed in the shoot out....great night though as we all went back to the hi-b bar and got smashed.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Cork.It was a good game.We were rumoured to play Real Madrid,Rotterdam,Liverpool and all sorts that year that never happened.That is where it all began for me.That and a sprinkling of history and I was hooked....GGTTH

iwasthere1972
22-04-2013, 12:22 AM
This game http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=2948

A few weeks before Christmas 1966 at Easter Road. Shankly as boss and a 6-0 trouncing of Stirling Albion. A lift over so nought to get in. Pies cheap as chips and the half time scoreboard at the Dunbar End. Big John McNamee would have eaten that Suarez chappie if he had tried that nonsense on him. Thought it would be like this forever. :boo hoo:

Oh and fish and chips in Albert Street on the way home. :thumbsup:

GlenrothesHibee
22-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Early 90's against Motherwell at Easter Road. Must have been around 7. Still remember getting the butterflies when i saw the floodlights and then walking up the stairs at the entrantrance to the old east stand and looking over at the west that id only ever seen on TV. Brilliant feeling that i'll never forget.

Bristolhibby
22-04-2013, 02:57 PM
I went to my first game when I was 8, back in 1989. Didn’t become mentally obsessed with Hibs till I recon I was about 16.

We played Kilmarnock early on in the season at home, must have been 1997/1998 season, (Season we went down, not long after the Chic Charnley wonder goal). Remember beating them 4-0.

That season also coincided with landing an after school job in a Delicatessen in Bath that was owned and run by a Jambo. (A long shot I know).

I recon having him there and his constant needle helped cement my love for Hibs. Helps that all my Dads side of the family are massive Hibbies, and we always make an effort to see a game and have a get together when we are up.

So Far I have named my Son Hamish Ian Bryce (H.I.B) and have many bits of Hibs memorabilia dotted round the house (My pride and Joy being my CIS Cup Final shirt signed by the team, wishing me good luck on my wedding day).

Highs include CIS Cup Final 07 and the CIS Semi v the Huns in 2003.

Lows, obviously last year. (Worse than getting relegated IMHO).

J

jethart hibee
22-04-2013, 09:51 PM
My Grandfather played for hibs, so it's in the blood and I wouldn't change that for nothing :greengrin:flag:

Green Blood
22-04-2013, 09:54 PM
January 1st 1973 at the Pink Wongadome!!!

Green Blood
22-04-2013, 10:00 PM
January 1st 1973 at the Pink Wongadome!!!

WHAM
22-04-2013, 10:20 PM

"When Johnnie/Georgie goes marching down the wing...O'Flynn...O'Flynn.." ??

IIRC it started pissing down with rain so we and a lot of other hibbies ended up in the shed behind the goal with cork fans. Cork boys telling us we were the only other teams fans in history to be allowed in the shed. Then after the game ended up back in that bar next to the ground with the band & karaoke etc. Lots of Irish rebel tunes mixed in with Hibs and Proclaimers tunes. Will always remember the James Connolly song getting belted out...whether into republican songs or not the emotion behind it was unreal...hairs on the back of the neck standing up. Suppose they don't call it the Rebel county for nothing.

Absolutely loved Cork. Great couple of days.

shezer
22-04-2013, 10:57 PM
"When Johnnie/Georgie goes marching down the wing...O'Flynn...O'Flynn.." ??

IIRC it started pissing down with rain so we and a lot of other hibbies ended up in the shed behind the goal with cork fans. Cork boys telling us we were the only other teams fans in history to be allowed in the shed. Then after the game ended up back in that bar next to the ground with the band & karaoke etc. Lots of Irish rebel tunes mixed in with Hibs and Proclaimers tunes. Will always remember the James Connolly song getting belted out...whether into republican songs or not the emotion behind it was unreal...hairs on the back of the neck standing up. Suppose they don't call it the Rebel county for nothing.

Absolutely loved Cork. Great couple of days.

It's great to hear stories like this. Both clubs mean a lot to me so it's great to hear of the link. When I went to an away Aberdeen game(last game of season 2009 I think.Hibs lost 2-1.My first game) there was a Hibs fan standing in the crowd wearing a Cork City jersey(The cork hibs style jersey).Hopefully Hibs will come back to Cork this summer :thumbsup:

Bishop Hibee
22-04-2013, 11:09 PM
Family all Hibees. I'd been to quite a few Hibs games in the 70's and early 80's but really got the bug at the Hibs 4-4 Celtc game in 1985/86 which we won on pens. ST holder the next season and never looked back.

jon paul jones
23-04-2013, 08:46 PM

Easy peasy

Saturday 2nd April 1983

Hibs 8 Kilmarnock 1

THought there was going to be a riot. First time i crossed the city from Roseburn where my folks decided to move to....grrrrrrr!