PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen closing a stand.

DH1875
20-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Just heard that Aberdeen are closing one of their stands. They are ment to be doing it to get the fans closer to each other and create a better atmosphere. Aye right.

Billy Whizz
20-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Just heard that Aberdeen are closing one of their stands. They are ment to be doing it to get the fans closer to each other and create a better atmosphere. Aye right.

Not closing a stand, just the top tier of the Richard Donald stand, which is the big one behind the goals at the end we sit

nribs
20-04-2013, 02:33 PM

Nah closing the top tier of a stand is it not?

Stringer
20-04-2013, 02:34 PM
They needed to do something! You will find more atmosphere in a library

Frazerbob
20-04-2013, 02:34 PM
They're closing the Richard Donald Stand UPPER TIER, not the entire stand. The upper tier has had a few hundred fans in it for most games this season. It used to be the area that housed their more boisterous fans (oxymoron?) but recently they have moved back to the South Stand, next to the away section.

Hainan Hibs
20-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Mickey Mouse club.

Mikey
20-04-2013, 02:44 PM
It's not good either way. If Scottish football continues to contract we're going to waken up one morning and it won't be there as we recognise it.

Use it or lose it :agree:

yeezus.
20-04-2013, 02:48 PM
There's more atmosphere at Stair Park than Pittodrie. Rubbish ground with crappy fans who hate everyone and everything. Apart from Sir Alex.

hibs0666
20-04-2013, 02:48 PM
We have been doing the same for seasons.

yeezus.
20-04-2013, 02:49 PM
They're closing the Richard Donald Stand UPPER TIER, not the entire stand. The upper tier has had a few hundred fans in it for most games this season. It used to be the area that housed their more boisterous fans (oxymoron?) but recently they have moved back to the South Stand, next to the away section.

I thought it was the sort of "stand free" lot that stood up there - most of whom were banned? Used to go to the odd game when I lived at Hillhead halls.

marinello59
20-04-2013, 03:35 PM
We have been doing the same for seasons.

Which home stand have we been doing that with then?

hibs0666
20-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Top of the south stand is very rarely open.

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Isn't that the newest bit of their ground?

marinello59
20-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Top of the south stand is very rarely open.

But which home stand?
Aberdeen are closing the top tier of what used to be the area that their diehard support would sit in. I don't recall Hibs telling our home support they had to move due to low attendance.

hibs0666
20-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Aberdeen is cutting the ground capacity to cut costs, same as every club in the league bar Celtic. It will be interesting to see if Aberdeen finally cut the wage bill to something sustainable.

marinello59
20-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Aberdeen is cutting the ground capacity to cut costs, same as every club in the league bar Celtic. It will be interesting to see if Aberdeen finally cut the wage bill to something sustainable.
Aberdeen have bigger problems than most. The maintenance costs in the rest of their ground are huge because it simply isn't fit for purpose. Their megadome pipe dream is dead. The good news is they now have new training facilities. They are getting to use a private girls schools playing fields in between hockey and lacrosse games. They will have to cut their wage bill because the apathy amongst their support is at critical level. Which is all good as far as I am concerned.:greengrin

hibs0666
20-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Aberdeen have bigger problems than most. The maintenance costs in the rest of their ground are huge because it simply isn't fit for purpose. Their megadome pipe dream is dead. The good news is they now have new training facilities. They are getting to use a private girls schools playing fields in between hockey and lacrosse games. They will have to cut their wage bill because the apathy amongst their support is at critical level. Which is all good as far as I am concerned.:greengrin

Glad to see it all coming home to roost. They have been paying wages similar to us while consistently generating a couple of million less in turnover.

We are well on the way to having the third biggest wage bill in Scotland by a fair distance. Let's hope the manager can do some damage with the extra dough.

NAE NOOKIE
20-04-2013, 04:21 PM
I cant understand why some folk on here are taking pleasure in this ... how is it good for Scottish football to have one of its biggest clubs closing part of a stand to save money?

Having said that, the Richard ( Dick ) Donald stand was the dumbest thing ever built at any Scottish football ground. Instead of spending squillions on such a monstrosity at one end they could have built two very decent stands at both ends, closed in the corners and had a really nice ground with a decent atmosphere.

I despair sometimes at the dumbasses who build grounds or add on to them without thinking about the spread of the crowd and especially the atmosphere. St Mirren does my head in ... there should be a picture of it under 'lack of imagination' in every dictionary. Even Hibs in hindsight should have built a 5,500 capacity stand at the East and joined it up with the FF and South ... the atmosphere at ER isnt bad at times, but I guess it would be a lot better with that configuration. ... ho hum.

Antifa Hibs
20-04-2013, 08:02 PM
Not surprising. Rip-off prices, stupid kick off times, nae bevvy, nae standing, nae smoking, databases, credit card fee's the list goes on. SPL clubs have done ZILCH to entice the fair weather punters back, entice them and the youth away from Sky Sports and Man U/Chelsea etc.

Its only going to get worse too. Rumours on KDS that Celtic are hinting about closing the upper tier of the lisbon lions stand, and knocking £100 off renewals for next season. If thats true, pretty much sums up how f****d we are.

hibs4thecup1988
20-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Let's be honest, we should probably do the same. Close the South stand totally, the upper of the FF and put everyone in the West, East and FF.

Still be plenty of seats left over and fans would be closer together as Aberdeen say.

Tin hat on...

marinello59
20-04-2013, 08:44 PM
I cant understand why some folk on here are taking pleasure in this ... how is it good for Scottish football to have one of its biggest clubs closing part of a stand to save money?

m

I make no apologies for taking pleasure in seeing that bunch of arrogant eighties throwbacks suffer. They take great joy in telling the rest of us about about their magnificent away support yet they can't fill their own hovel. I can only hope that those who crowded round my car in Dundee calling me and my 11 year old son a disgrace for our pitiful attendance on the way to last years semi final were among those moved .
I just don't like them.:greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
20-04-2013, 09:57 PM
I make no apologies for taking pleasure in seeing that bunch of arrogant eighties throwbacks suffer. They take great joy in telling the rest of us about about their magnificent away support yet they can't fill their own hovel. I can only hope that those who crowded round my car in Dundee calling me and my 11 year old son a disgrace for our pitiful attendance on the way to last years semi final were among those moved .
I just don't like them.:greengrin

Dont like them either ..... big picture & all that.

LaMotta
21-04-2013, 01:03 AM
Let's be honest, we should probably do the same. Close the South stand totally, the upper of the FF and put everyone in the West, East and FF.

Still be plenty of seats left over and fans would be closer together as Aberdeen say.

Tin hat on...

agreed :agree:

Pete
21-04-2013, 01:56 AM

Having said that, the Richard ( Dick ) Donald stand was the dumbest thing ever built at any Scottish football ground. Instead of spending squillions on such a monstrosity at one end they could have built two very decent stands at both ends, closed in the corners and had a really nice ground with a decent atmosphere.

I despair sometimes at the dumbasses who build grounds or add on to them without thinking about the spread of the crowd and especially the atmosphere. St Mirren does my head in ... there should be a picture of it under 'lack of imagination' in every dictionary. Even Hibs in hindsight should have built a 5,500 capacity stand at the East and joined it up with the FF and South ... the atmosphere at ER isnt bad at times, but I guess it would be a lot better with that configuration. ... ho hum.

Agree with everything you say, especially regarding the design of these new stands that have been constructed.

You can't criticize the boards of football clubs for building modern stands like the East as they have their pluses and they didn't have the powers of hindsight available. I took in the dunfermline game yesterday and was in their shed. Even though it was only about 2/3 full it felt great being in a small, enclosed stand with a terracing rake. A lot like the East old used to be! It just felt right.
Solutions like the ones you suggested would have been ideal and would have kept that "feel" to the most important part of the ground.

I also agree about us needing lots of strong teams and there is no benefit in any clubs outside the old firm struggling. Aberdeen are one of the big outfits and for them to dwindle away would be weaken the infrastructure. They also bring a good traveling support which adds to atmosphere.
Fans in all divisions are getting hacked off and there are some interesting opinions on the Dunfermline and Falkirk boards regarding what is wrong with the game and the solutions that they think will fix things. "So what" you might say but they are just as important as the SPL clubs as they are the next rung down on the ladder. If the fans of these clubs feel like giving up then the whole thing will eventually collapse from beneath us without us realising. Finding a solution to keep these second tier clubs flourishing will also keep things fresh for ourselves as they will provide a new challenge when they do come up. They might also bring 500 fans instead of 50.

However, I can't accuse those who wan't Aberdeen to suffer of being petty.
In theory, Hearts are one of the big-hitters outside the old firm but would I care if they bit the dust, even if it had a negative impact on our game? I would be dancing!!:thumbsup: