PDA

View Full Version : Disgarded scarf at semi ?

big-mo
19-04-2013, 09:41 AM
I picked up a scarf that was discarded before half-time on Saturday. It was an old one with the old badge and 'Hi-Bees Hi-Bees' along the edge. Because of the age of the scarf, it was obviously a 'treasured' item. (It could have been the scarf's first outing since the last time that this 'fan' was at a Hibs game).

Question, should the owner not be allowed it back as they have shown their true feelings for the team, or we all make mistakes in the heat of the moment and he/she should have it returned?

It was in the South Stand, if it was yours, and you want it back, please pm me.

:scarf::scarf::scarf:

HibbyRod
19-04-2013, 09:56 AM
I picked up a scarf that was discarded before half-time on Saturday. It was an old one with the old badge and 'Hi-Bees Hi-Bees' along the edge. Because of the age of the scarf, it was obviously a 'treasured' item. (It could have been the scarf's first outing since the last time that this 'fan' was at a Hibs game).

Question, should the owner not be allowed it back as they have shown their true feelings for the team, or we all make mistakes in the heat of the moment and he/she should have it returned?

Nice touch mate!

Hope the scarf is re-united with its owner.

Keith_M
19-04-2013, 10:37 AM
I believe the Red Cross shop on Cathcart Road has hundreds of scarves for sale that were all handed in between 1 and 2 O'Clock

Wilson
19-04-2013, 10:42 AM
Heat of the moment stuff. I'd probably give it back to the owner if claimed. He is likely to be feeling a bit silly flinging it - given the comeback that followed.

Totally get the reaction. I honestly wouldn't have been surprised had Falkirk won in the 90 minutes. I was though, and I think most were, genuinely shocked that we went 3 goals down so quickly and in the manner we did.

However, following Hibs is a rollercoaster. if we all meant it when (or every time!) we said "never again" we would be playing in front of some very sparse crowds indeed!

trev the hat
19-04-2013, 10:44 AM
I saw at least two being launched from north @ 0-3 glad they where nowhere near me :rolleyes:

Baader
19-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Hope it was lost rather than chucked. No time for scarf throwers - would be better all round if they just didn't attend...

DarrenSQH
19-04-2013, 03:18 PM
I was in the front row and seen 6 or 7 launched. One of the Expensive ones with the sewn badge and the 2 shades of green stripes landed on me. Kept it.

Tha Cabbage Kid
19-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Hope it was lost rather than chucked. No time for scarf throwers - would be better all round if they just didn't attend...

yeah, what a criminal :rolleyes:

Hermit Crab
19-04-2013, 03:55 PM

Even worse than those fighting each other in the stands??

HiBremian
19-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Ach, let him/her have it back......

....as long as he/she didn't give it a :jamboclow twirl before chuckin it. Not Hibs class if so. :cb

LioNeilMessi
19-04-2013, 04:04 PM

Your comment, like the scarf throwers, is being a bit overly-dramatic. :wink:

Some people have their outbursts. Throwing a scarf is hardly the biggest offence, better than fighting or throwing hard objects.

My brother threw his and it was great fun ripping the pish out of him for the rest of the day. :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
19-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Never understood anyone throwing their scarf away, it is a futile gesture, and only results in them having to purchase a new one....

Hibernia Na Eir
19-04-2013, 04:14 PM

why ask others what you think you should do with it?

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-04-2013, 04:17 PM
I thought it was a snide way to have a dig at the missile launcher myself!

19-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Guy near us ran down the stairs, took his hibs top off (he had a t-shirt underneath) and chucked it on the park. He was confronted by a guy and an argument happened, dunno what was said but basically the guy confronting him was accusing him of not being loyal to the club etc.

Woody70x2
19-04-2013, 04:42 PM
I was in the East stand and someone threw their strip on the park in disgust... a couple of minutes later an older woman asked the steward if they would hand her the strip that was lying there. A free replica strip for the said woman.

cabbageandribs1875
19-04-2013, 04:49 PM

my thoughts exactly :agree: amazes me how some on here really give it tight to guys that possibly only make a few games per season, are the uber fans trying to start some kinda upper class fan or sommit ? and even if the scarf thrower has saw this thread does the OP seriously think he will get in touch with him for it back ? does he want to give him a wee lecture or what ? ffs naw real, poor show hibbies thinking they are better than other hibbies(at any level)

Baldy Foghorn
19-04-2013, 05:06 PM
my thoughts exactly :agree: amazes me how some on here really give it tight to guys that possibly only make a few games per season, are the uber fans trying to start some kinda upper class fan or sommit ? and even if the scarf thrower has saw this thread does the OP seriously think he will get in touch with him for it back ? does he want to give him a wee lecture or what ? ffs naw real, poor show hibbies thinking they are better than other hibbies(at any level)

I just laugh when some have a go at others by giving them the label of "uber fans"......

cabbageandribs1875
19-04-2013, 05:07 PM
I just laugh when some have a go at others by giving them the label of "uber fans"......

good for you

Baldy Foghorn
19-04-2013, 05:13 PM
good for you

indeed

marinello59
19-04-2013, 05:14 PM

Sorry...that made me smile. I like the sound of it.
I hereby launch The Chinless Wonders Supporters Club. Hibernian, Hibernian, ra,ra ,ra.
Limousine arrangements for the final will be announced soon. Riff raff need not apply.

3pm
19-04-2013, 05:16 PM
If it was the scarf I saw being discarded, the owner was up was up for a scrap when a fellow Hibby gave hin grief for it!

HibeeSince85
19-04-2013, 05:26 PM
I saw at least two being launched from north @ 0-3 glad they where nowhere near me :rolleyes:

Why are you glad they were nowhere near you? To avoid being struck by the soft fabric item? Or are you insinuating you'd have had a go at them for doing so?

If it is the second reason then I'm going to ask another question. What has it got to do with you someone throwing their scarf?

There is too much holier than thou pish being spouted after the semi in my eyes. Before anyone says anything yes there is a thread on the PM board started by me which is basically a moaning thread but its about the day trip fans who only turn up when we get to a final so that's justified :greengrin

Thecat23
19-04-2013, 05:28 PM
I've launched more scarfs than I care to remember. More out of superstition than anything. **** I'm such a terrible fan.. All the money I spend on season tickets and tops and more scarfs, but I can't compete with all you guys who never shout, boo, leave etc.. And only turn up for cup games!! I salute you amzaing "Uber Fans"!!!!!! :D

hibbill2002
19-04-2013, 05:31 PM
I was sitting in the pub at half time when a fan got up and left to go back to the game, he left his pint of Guinness. I cannae mind the pubs name, but if it was yours, and you want it back, please pm me.
:cheers::cheers::cheers:

big-mo
19-04-2013, 05:35 PM

No malice intended, I just wanted to get the scarf back to the owner, I am sure it was a 'heat of the moment' thing.

I was also wanting to start a debate about the logic and rational behind throwing away scarves, tops etc, it is very unlikely to change the team or managements performance, but does mean that if they normally wear scarves etc and the do go back to games, they will have to go out and buy a new one.

Future17
19-04-2013, 05:39 PM
I was working on the assumption that Petrie had instructed the players to go 0-3 down in order to increase scarf sales.

Hibernia Na Eir
19-04-2013, 06:00 PM
No malice intended, I just wanted to get the scarf back to the owner, I am sure it was a 'heat of the moment' thing.

I was also wanting to start a debate about the logic and rational behind throwing away scarves, tops etc, it is very unlikely to change the team or managements performance, but does mean that if they normally wear scarves etc and the do go back to games, they will have to go out and buy a new one.

I would bet my mortgage that all those who "threw" last week done so with last May firmly in mind when watching falkirk's 3rd go in.
the unthinkable was unfolding. can hardly blame them.

Scouse Hibee
19-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Anyone who launches a scarf, leaves early, boos the team or shows their dissent in any other fashion can comfort themselves in the knowledge that it's better than shouting from your armchair at a television. People demonstrate their passion at a football match whatever next?

SaulGoodman
19-04-2013, 06:50 PM
I remember after yet another derby defeat in the CC era people were launching their ST's onto the pitch.

So we must be improving :duck:

Keith_M
19-04-2013, 06:53 PM
I would bet my mortgage that all those who "threw" last week done so with last May firmly in mind when watching falkirk's 3rd go in.
the unthinkable was unfolding. can hardly blame them.

As one of the people who did so, that's exactly what I was thinking when I did it.

However, unlike hundreds of others, I didn't actually leave the stadium. I huffily sat outside in the sunshine at the back of the east, drinking coffee and sending sweary texts to german colleagues. I then went back into the seated area to give them a piece of my mind, just in time to see Hibs score.

Damn it, I now need to buy another scarf :greengrin

lord bunberry
19-04-2013, 07:10 PM
I remember after yet another derby defeat in the CC era people were launching their ST's onto the pitch.

So we must be improving :duck:

I remember seeing a sunderland fan running up to the dug out and throwing his season ticket at the manager, thankfully it didn't take on as cc would have had to dress like a baseball umpire during games

Jonnyboy
19-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Think of the money though folks. For every scarf thrown away, another will be bought in the club shop = mair money for HFC :wink::greengrin

mca
19-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Scarf Throwers !!! These Type of Fans - Disgust me..

I can only assume That after spending so much money on Tops and Scarfs and Tickets and Travel etc - That they only went to the game with the whole Intention of just turning up and throwing something costly on the pitch... why wait until 3-0 down is beyond me.. :na na:

p.s - did anyone find a Lambswool tartan one... :wink:

clerriehibs
19-04-2013, 07:38 PM

give it a rest, oh uberfan

clerriehibs
19-04-2013, 07:39 PM
I was in the front row and seen 6 or 7 launched. One of the Expensive ones with the sewn badge and the 2 shades of green stripes landed on me. Kept it.

And what have you done with your own one?

clerriehibs
19-04-2013, 07:44 PM

yeah, whatever ...

SaulGoodman
19-04-2013, 08:16 PM
yeah, whatever ...

Your scarf is it? :greengrin

clerriehibs
19-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Your scarf is it? :greengrin

I ALWAYS take three scarves ... one to chuck at half time, one to chuck at full time, and one to cry into afterwards. It's a tradition.

SaulGoodman
19-04-2013, 08:24 PM
I ALWAYS take three scarves ... one to chuck at half time, one to chuck at full time, and one to cry into afterwards. It's a tradition.

I'm much the same, sometimes I take four, if I'm in a particularly bad mood I throw one at the start.

At least you stay until full time :wink:

Thecat23
19-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Anyone who launches a scarf, leaves early, boos the team or shows their dissent in any other fashion can comfort themselves in the knowledge that it's better than shouting from your armchair at a television. People demonstrate their passion at a football match whatever next?

Well said!!

Hibeesforever
19-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Never understood anyone throwing their scarf away, it is a futile gesture, and only results in them having to purchase a new one....

Totally agree, I picked up a shirt last year from Hampden and said to my parents, after having seen, Hearts lift the cup, that I would bring it back next year! That strip offends me so much but I am considering wearing it along with the losing cup final jacket again this time round. Still not sure if it is appropriate clobber, any advice appreciated. Should I get a new jacket for this final ? And would I get lynched if I wore the shirt ?

clerriehibs
19-04-2013, 09:05 PM
Totally agree, I picked up a shirt last year from Hampden and said to my parents, after having seen, Hearts lift the cup, that I would bring it back next year! That strip offends me so much but I am considering wearing it along with the losing cup final jacket again this time round. Still not sure if it is appropriate clobber, any advice appreciated. Should I get a new jacket for this final ? And would I get lynched if I wore the shirt ?

inappropriate.

and you stayed to watch hertz lift the cup? eh?

Hibeesforever
19-04-2013, 09:12 PM
inappropriate.

and you stayed to watch hertz lift the cup? eh?

I did that so I could remember how annoyed I was and have that memory for every future derby to come. I am very concerned that Hearts will implode and cease to exist. Spartans will probably become the second force but the derby against Hearts will always be the most important to me. I only wish that more of our players felt the same way. Hibs winning derbies generally means a successful Hibs side.

clerriehibs
19-04-2013, 09:14 PM
I did that so I could remember how annoyed I was and have that memory for every future derby to come. I am very concerned that Hearts will implode and cease to exist. Spartans will probably become the second force but the derby against Hearts will always be the most important to me. I only wish that more of our players felt the same way. Hibs winning derbies generally means a successful Hibs side.

I am very concerned that Hearts will NOT implode and cease to exist

zosohibee
20-04-2013, 01:33 PM
I love my scarf too much to throw it away, but it is an expression of how much you care about the team even if its something i wouldnt do myself. A scarf thrown away is a message of disgust to an awful performance, the thing obv means something to the person and so throwing it away shows that the woeful nature of the team has forced their hand to sacrifice an important thing, a persons main football scarf is like the signiature thing they take to a game, particularly if it's old like that. The thrower should feel no shame asking for it back.

Thecat23
20-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Talking of scarf's, Has Hibs stopped selling the Green and White ones with the sewing on badge?

Dashing Bob S
20-04-2013, 01:51 PM
I'm not into throwing away scarves, burning season tickets, etc, but I accept it's people's own property, and although its self-destructive and futile, they are merely venting their frustration. What I can't understand is the need some other people feel to make a comment, or confront them for doing this. Leave them alone you nosey parkers, it's nothing to do with you! Apart from anything else, it's precipitating trouble to antagonise somebody who is obviously already upset.

iwasthere1972
20-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Obviously belonged to some glory hunting cry baby so keep the scarf and give it a good home. :tin hat:

DH1875
20-04-2013, 02:14 PM
Someone threw a scarf from behind us. No one picked it up though and it was still there when we left at the end.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-04-2013, 12:44 PM
What does disgarded mean?

Keith_M
21-04-2013, 12:49 PM
What does disgarded mean?

It's a cross between discarded and disregarded.

It's something you throw away that's supposed to be ignored.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-04-2013, 12:56 PM
It's a cross between discarded and disregarded.

It's something you throw away that's supposed to be ignored.

Oh right, just like my previous comment then?

Pat 0-7
21-04-2013, 01:06 PM
I'm not into throwing away scarves, burning season tickets, etc, but I accept it's people's own property, and although its self-destructive and futile, they are merely venting their frustration. What I can't understand is the need some other people feel to make a comment, or confront them for doing this. Leave them alone you nosey parkers, it's nothing to do with you! Apart from anything else, it's precipitating trouble to antagonise somebody who is obviously already upset.

This. I'm not throwing mine away, I've had it for nearly 30 years.................If someone wants to throw theirs away, its their business, don't know what good it does though........:dunno:

IWasThere2016
21-04-2013, 01:31 PM

:top marks

basehibby
21-04-2013, 01:46 PM
I've launched more scarfs than I care to remember. More out of superstition than anything. **** I'm such a terrible fan.. All the money I spend on season tickets and tops and more scarfs, but I can't compete with all you guys who never shout, boo, leave etc.. And only turn up for cup games!! I salute you amzaing "Uber Fans"!!!!!! :D

Aha - supporting the club financially through the frequent purchasing of replacement scarves - now I get it - it's the scarf launchers who are the true uberfans - all us non-shouty-booey types are just rank amatuers:not worth

silverhibee
21-04-2013, 01:51 PM
celtc fans show there disgust at winning the SPL by throwing scarfs on to the pitch.

macd123
21-04-2013, 03:51 PM
I m just glad hibs don't sell underwear.

Mikey
21-04-2013, 03:57 PM
I think Mo's getting a hard time unnecessarily here. I don't know him personally, but I do know who he is and he'll recognise the sentimental value of that scarf.

I've no doubt that the owner chucked it in a fit of rage and would probably quite like to have it back. They'll need it 5 weeks today :agree:

Mikey
21-04-2013, 04:01 PM
If the owner does want it back you can make contact through admin.team@hibs.net if you want.

Brizo
21-04-2013, 04:42 PM
My mum has stitched a wee tag on my scarf with my name and post code on it so if i decide to chuck it away and then decide i want it back i can prove to any good samaritan such as the OP that its my scarf.

Hibbyradge
21-04-2013, 05:15 PM

Better all round lol

Phil MaGlass
22-04-2013, 08:32 AM
If I was prone to throwing my scarf onto the pitch, which lets be honest, could have happened more than a dozen times in the past few years (but I dont) and I was confronted by another supporter, that supporter would be in an ambulance, on the way to hospital, unconscious and nursing a broken nose.
Its a way of fans to vent their frustrations, anger and passion, leave them the **** alone.

zlatan
22-04-2013, 09:19 AM
If I was prone to throwing my scarf onto the pitch, which lets be honest, could have happened more than a dozen times in the past few years (but I dont) and I was confronted by another supporter, that supporter would be in an ambulance, on the way to hospital, unconscious and nursing a broken nose.
Its a way of fans to vent their frustrations, anger and passion, leave them the **** alone.

Tough Monday morning?