PDA

View Full Version : Team For Dons Match (No Cup Ticket content thread)

down-the-slope
18-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Team for Monday - one that finished match on Saturday or shuffle the pack?

I'd start the youngsters to give a boost and game time.

Anyone know how KT's injury is? and McPake? (how much is injury & how much just poor form?)

lugz
18-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Same team as finished the semi for me. Definitely go two up top and start taking the game to teams instead of inviting pressure and taking beatings.

ancienthibby
18-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Same team as finished the semi for me. Definitely go two up top and start taking the game to teams instead of inviting pressure and taking beatings.

Well said that man!:agree:

Purehibee_MYB
18-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Definite starts for Harris and Handling, would even consider throwing Caldwell on up front, but then again, Doyle came on and changed the game on Saturday so it's probably only fair he starts! But yeah I'd say pretty much the team that finished the game on Saturday!

Billy Whizz
18-04-2013, 06:38 PM
It will be nice to have a game again....

Pretty Boy
18-04-2013, 06:39 PM
I'd be tempted to drop Clancy but he needs the games I suppose.

hibs0666
18-04-2013, 06:50 PM
We need to give KT every minute possible with the cup final in mind. He has the potential to boss the midfield at Hampden.

Scouse Hibee
18-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Tempted to say the team that finished the semi, but don't want to give Celtic the opportunity to watch them too often before the final so would mix it up a bit.

Pete
18-04-2013, 07:00 PM
I would shove Robertson, Thomson and Cairney right back in. Their confidence must be shot and this will give them a chance to get right back on their horse and hopefully prove themselves with a gutsy display. I would also give the other fringe players a run out to let them try and win a place in the final starting eleven.

We have nothing to lose so we might as well be experimental.

Pretty Boy
18-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Reckon i'd go

.....................Williams..................

Clancy...McPake....Hanlon....McGivern

........Taiwo.......Claros.......Thomson

Doyle.........................................Harr is

......................Griffiths.................

Telling the full backs to push right up and the wide player to work their erses off supporting Griffiths.

Captain Trips
18-04-2013, 08:01 PM
I would shove Robertson, Thomson and Cairney right back in. Their confidence must be shot and this will give them a chance to get right back on their horse and hopefully prove themselves with a gutsy display. I would also give the other fringe players a run out to let them try and win a place in the final starting eleven.

We have nothing to lose so we might as well be experimental.

Yes we do a football match, we should be looking to get points on board the league placing is unacceptable regardless of cup finals, maybe bring in one or two other players but I will be looking at stongest team we can field which IMO includes Harris now.

Baldy Foghorn
18-04-2013, 10:56 PM

If PF plays 4-5-1 again, he needs his head examined.......

number9dream
19-04-2013, 07:13 AM
Williams
Clancy McPake Hanlon McGivern
Harris Claros Thomson ???
Handling Griffiths

Give young Danny a chance to show what he can do up top beside Griffiths, with Doyle on bench as back up. Final midfield place up for grabs. Maybe an idea to give Cairney another go in a bid to regain confidence... Tough on Taiwo but shape means he is a good replacement for central duo.

danhibees1875
19-04-2013, 08:31 AM
Williams
McPake Hanlon McGivern
Clancy.............................Stevenson
Claros KT
Harris... Griffiths... Doyle

:thumbsup:

Judas Iscariot
19-04-2013, 08:40 AM
Williams

Clancy McPake(c) Hanlon McGivern

Claros Thomson

Doyle Cairney Harris

Griffiths

JimBHibees
19-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Same team that played brilliantly for over an hour against an admittedly tiring Falkirk team.

Andy74
19-04-2013, 09:38 AM

We could go 442 like the time St Johnstone beat us 3-0 at home.

It's not the formation that's the issue. It's what the players go out and do.

Captain Trips
19-04-2013, 11:00 AM

It is a bit of both really, I do not think we have the right midfielders for 4-5-1 and I think we are better with 4-4-2 in trying to make things happen instead of waiting on them to happen, we will lose games regardless of formation but IMO we should have 2 up front against all the SPL teams.

Big_Franck
19-04-2013, 01:36 PM

Far too much is made of formations IMO. What's more important is how far up the pitch our defence sit and how far forward our midfield press. If we press higher up the field Doyle and Harris become part of a 4-3-3 and not the 4-5-1 that everyone complains about. Just because a team plays with only one central striker does not necessarily mean they are playing a 4-5-1.

happiehibbie
19-04-2013, 03:05 PM
for me Handling is not good enough on what i have saw this season seam to come on a run about a bit to quick with no control showing.

Caldwell dont know yet think he has struggled in the first team

Done whats happened to him "

am not sure what team to go with for Monday I just want them to turn up and work hard find there passes ETC

we need to finish 7th for the cash simple

but and its a big BUT i dont see us winning any games SORRY

Heisenberg
19-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Same team as ended the cup semi for me. They earned the right to show more of what they can do together in that 75 minutes.

BEEJ
19-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Far too much is made of formations IMO. What's more important is how far up the pitch our defence sit and how far forward our midfield press. If we press higher up the field Doyle and Harris become part of a 4-3-3 and not the 4-5-1 that everyone complains about. Just because a team plays with only one central striker does not necessarily mean they are playing a 4-5-1.
Remarkably, during the first half last Saturday not only did our midfield five manage not to support our sole striker, they were also posted absent in defence and when trying to track Falkirk's midfield runners.

If it was intended to be a defensive set-up then the game-plan / instructions / tactics from PF must have been far too complex for the team to understand. Because they didn't achieve that either.

A puzzling performance.

Baldy Foghorn
19-04-2013, 03:43 PM

Maybe, Im not so sure....4-5-1 at Parkhead and we did not muster a single shot at goal.....Created hee haw and surrended meekly.....PF never even bothered bringing another striker, in a game we had to win.....

Against Falkirk I was amazed we played the same set up, and allowed Falkirk to dictate the play and come at us.....Only when we needed to go all out attack did it pay off......Would rather see the team have a go from the off......

Andy74
19-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Maybe, Im not so sure....4-5-1 at Parkhead and we did not muster a single shot at goal.....Created hee haw and surrended meekly.....PF never even bothered bringing another striker, in a game we had to win.....

Against Falkirk I was amazed we played the same set up, and allowed Falkirk to dictate the play and come at us.....Only when we needed to go all out attack did it pay off......Would rather see the team have a go from the off......

It's what the players do that decides that.

If Falkirk were allowed to dictate play a 442 in theory makes that worse and allows them to come at us more than a 451 where you should be controlling the midfield and protecting the defence.

I think it shows that the talk of formations is a bit overplayed.

For me too many equate sticking another striker on with being more attacking and scoring more goals. It doesn't tend to work out that way. Yes we got back in the game after we changed it but it had far more to do with the drive and commitment being shown than the formation.

Baldy Foghorn
19-04-2013, 04:12 PM
It's what the players do that decides that.

If Falkirk were allowed to dictate play a 442 in theory makes that worse and allows them to come at us more than a 451 where you should be controlling the midfield and protecting the defence.

I think it shows that the talk of formations is a bit overplayed.

For me too many equate sticking another striker on with being more attacking and scoring more goals. It doesn't tend to work out that way. Yes we got back in the game after we changed it but it had far more to do with the drive and commitment being shown than the formation.

Possibly.....

It shows us then that the drive and commitment shown at Parkhead and in first half on the Semi, was sadly lacking.....Up to PF to get the most out of the player's, and that has to change for the better

down-the-slope
19-04-2013, 07:08 PM

:agree: indeed its meant to be 4-5-1 under pressure - 4-3-3 when pressing....but its all about attitude to press game to opponents as much as possible....which needs confidence in yourself / team mates.....thats is where it falls down....lack of confidence

Harris and Handling still have theirs and so played from that.....

FromTheCapital
20-04-2013, 11:31 AM
-----------------------------------Williams----------------------------------------

Clancy-------------------McPake------------Hanlon------------------Stevenson

Handling------------------Taiwo---------------Claros---------------------Harris

---------------------------Doyle--------------Griffiths---------------------------

Same team as the one that finished the Semi for me. Doesn't matter if it was tiring Falkirk team, they still ran their ***** off in the second half and in extra time to get us into the final. Hopefully, we don't just play route one all game against the Dons and take the game to them like we did on Saturday. Got a good feeling about Monday night - 2-0 Hibs. :agree:

EDIT: McGivern suspended so Steveson to slot into LB.

MyJo
20-04-2013, 11:41 AM
_____________Williams

Clancy___McPake___Hanlon____McGivern

_________Claros____Thomson

Handling_____________________Harris

________Griffiths____Doyle

LioNeilMessi
20-04-2013, 12:04 PM
..................Williams
Clancy ... McPake ... Hanlon ... Mcgivern

...Taiwo ... Thomson orClaros ... Harris

...Doyle ... Griffiths ... Handling

Similar to the second half of last week, although I would happily see the back 4 reshuffled - Lewis to LB, Mcgivern to CB with Mcpake or Hanlon dropping out. I wouldn't lose sleep if Clancy was to drop out either, tries hard but was lacking sharpness in the semi final and also in his past few games.

Billy Whizz
20-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Thought I read somewhere that Mcgivern is suspended on Monday, but could be wrong
http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resources/documents/Disciplinary/CurrentSuspensions/Season2012/13/April2013/PlayerSuspensions/LOS37(11-APR).pdf

Edit -He is

down-the-slope
20-04-2013, 01:13 PM
One odd one has been young CH on bench for weeks now and never got a sniff. Considering how poor we have been on occasions in that area it might be good getting him on for a bit?

down-the-slope
22-04-2013, 07:56 AM
anyone heard any update on team possibilities?

Judas Iscariot
22-04-2013, 07:58 AM
One odd one has been young CH on bench for weeks now and never got a sniff. Considering how poor we have been on occasions in that area it might be good getting him on for a bit?

If the laddie was to have a mare that'd be his confidence shot for ever, I wouldnt put him in this team atm unless it was desperately required!

Leighonel
22-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Williams

Clancy
McPake
Hanlon
Stevenson

Claros
Thomson

Handling
Cairney
Harris

Griffiths

We can easily play 4-2-3-1 or move to 4-4-2 if we need to. If Thomson isnt fit then play taiwo

GlenrothesHibee
22-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Id only play Griffiths for las half hour. 5 meaningless games

Hibee87
22-04-2013, 09:21 AM

Id play the same team that finsihsed the semi - but maybe play caldwell and doyle from the start and only bring on griffiths if need be for the last half hour or so

andy1875
22-04-2013, 09:21 AM

No they're not.

Firstly, I believe each position in the league is worth around £80,000. The difference between 7th and 11th is about £300k. Both are more than possible so we need to ensure we finish as high as possible.

Secondly, we need to get a bit of form going into the final. Wins breed belief and confidence which will be a huge factor against Celtic.

Thirdly and most importantly for me, Fenlon needs to decide, and quickly, what our strongest and best team/formation is.

5 big games and ones that will more than likely have an effect on our cup final performance.

GGTTH

Pat 0-7
22-04-2013, 09:42 AM
No they're not.

Firstly, I believe each position in the league is worth around £80,000. The difference between 7th and 11th is about £300k. Both are more than possible so we need to ensure we finish as high as possible.

Secondly, we need to get a bit of form going into the final. Wins breed belief and confidence which will be a huge factor against Celtic.

Thirdly and most importantly for me, Fenlon needs to decide, and quickly, what our strongest and best team/formation is.

5 big games and ones that will more than likely have an effect on our cup final performance.

GGTTH

This.

And hopefully a win at the Wongadome, which would give us another boost for the final.

:flag:

JimBHibees
22-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Very important to keep the team fit and sharp prior to the final so the bulk need to be playing in the next few weeks including derby IMO. If players get injured they get injured that is the way of the game only game I would really experiment would be the last one prior to the final. A win tonight put us 7th and in good stead for the rest of the games. We need to be using these games to get players sharper and the team playing and importantly defending and attacking better as a unit.

JimBHibees
22-04-2013, 10:07 AM
No they're not.

GGTTH

Agree the players need to be physically and mentally as fit and sharp as possible when they walk out in the final. They wont have this if they arent playing in the build up.

Stevie Reid
22-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Remarkably, during the first half last Saturday not only did our midfield five manage not to support our sole striker, they were also posted absent in defence and when trying to track Falkirk's midfield runners.

If it was intended to be a defensive set-up then the game-plan / instructions / tactics from PF must have been far too complex for the team to understand. Because they didn't achieve that either.

A puzzling performance.

:agree:

One of my mates made a really good point in the wake of last week's game, which was that you would be more inclined to accept us being so exposed and losing such terrible goals if we were completely gung ho going forward, and creating lots of chances. The fact that we offered little in an attacking sense due to a lack of movement and being so rigid in our shape, whilst being cut open so easily was indeed puzzling (not to mention depressing). Hopefully last week's turnaround will prove to be pivotal.

I also agree with those who say that too much emphasis is placed on formations. We have played both 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 very often, and been excellent and terrible with both - it's down to the players as much as the manager.

silverhibee
22-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Looks like PF sticking to his 4-5-1 formation, anyone wanting to be entertained tonight may want to go to the pictures instead of ER. :wink:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/i-will-keep-using-4-5-1-formation-says-hibs-pat-fenlon-1-2904484

Hibstrooper
22-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Looks like PF sticking to his 4-5-1 formation, anyone wanting to be entertained tonight may want to go to the pictures instead of ER. :wink:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/i-will-keep-using-4-5-1-formation-says-hibs-pat-fenlon-1-2904484

I'm hoping that it's just a bit of sensationalism going on with the headline as he doesn't say in the article he will definitely play 4-5-1.

If anything it just looks like he is getting annoyed with people telling him what formation he should be playing, I just hope he isn't too stubborn to change it.

shetlandhibee
22-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Williams

Clancy
mcpake
Mcgivern
Stevenson

Handling
claros
tawio
harris

Sparky
doyler

silverhibee
22-04-2013, 11:48 AM
I'm hoping that it's just a bit of sensationalism going on with the headline as he doesn't say in the article he will definitely play 4-5-1.

If anything it just looks like he is getting annoyed with people telling him what formation he should be playing, I just hope he isn't too stubborn to change it.

I don't mind if he goes 4-5-1 as long as he is positive about it, like allowing midfielders to get forward to help the lone striker Sparky upfront, if it's the negative 4-5-1 then help ma boab for tonight.

No matter how it is coming across through the press, all fans need to see is the headline and folk might just not bother about turning up tonight as they see 4-5-1 and think negative football, we are at the end of the season and PF can only pick out two games where it has been a success, what about all the games where it has been so bad, just not the way to get the fans back to ER imo, he should be talking about attacking from the start and going looking for a early goal, a wee bit of confidence from him to get the fans going to the game tonight, looks like more of don't lose a goal and see if Sparky can pull us out of the tom kite again.

Diclonius
22-04-2013, 11:51 AM
I would play the same eleven who finished against Falkirk (minus McGivern, who is suspended) to see if they can hold up against SPL opposition.

JimBHibees
22-04-2013, 12:43 PM
:agree:

One of my mates made a really good point in the wake of last week's game, which was that you would be more inclined to accept us being so exposed and losing such terrible goals if we were completely gung ho going forward, and creating lots of chances. The fact that we offered little in an attacking sense due to a lack of movement and being so rigid in our shape, whilst being cut open so easily was indeed puzzling (not to mention depressing). Hopefully last week's turnaround will prove to be pivotal.

I also agree with those who say that too much emphasis is placed on formations. We have played both 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 very often, and been excellent and terrible with both - it's down to the players as much as the manager.

Completely agree with that.

Judas Iscariot
22-04-2013, 12:58 PM
1 up front is ok if there is 3 behind the 1 supporting..

Didnt realise RM was suspended so team of the day for me is...

Williams

Clancy McPake(c) Hanlon Maybury

Claros Thomson

Doyle Cairney Harris

Griffiths

Hibee87
22-04-2013, 01:31 PM
1 up front is ok if there is 3 behind the 1 supporting..

Didnt realise RM was suspended so team of the day for me is...

Williams

Clancy McPake(c) Hanlon Maybury

Claros Thomson

Doyle Cairney Harris

Griffiths

Id re jig it slightly - Stevenson left back. and have handling on the right with doyle in the middle. Also I belive thomson is struggling so would put taiwo in place there. :aok:

HibeeSince85
22-04-2013, 01:40 PM
Williams

Clancy
McPake
Hanlon
Stevenson

Harris
Claros
Taiwo
Thomson
Cairney

Griffiths

Subs: Murdoch, Maybury, Robertson, Deegan, Doyle, Handling, Caldwell

That's the team I reckon he'll go with.

Didn't know McGivern wasn't available. Looking forward to the game tonight.

The_Horde
22-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Williams

Clancy mcpake Hanlon Stevenson

Handling Claros Taiwo Harris

Doyle Griffiths

Judas Iscariot
22-04-2013, 02:21 PM
Id re jig it slightly - Stevenson left back. and have handling on the right with doyle in the middle. Also I belive thomson is struggling so would put taiwo in place there. :aok:

Wasn't aware KT was toiling, Taiwo is an able replacement!

Decent to see we have a few options in midfield now, any of the teams that have been fired up on here are more than capable of doing the sheep!

Andy74
22-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Completely agree with that.

I think PF is making just that point - its easy to say 442 is more attacking. That's not really the case. As Barry might say itsallverycomplex. Regardless of what formation we play in, which people do tend to read too much into, it's up the the players to show the right type of intent and desire. I don't think the improvement in the semi final was due to a simple swapping a forward for a midfield player. That wouldn't begin to answer why we were suddely winning tackles, tracking runs, accepting the ball, taking men on and creating chances. In fact, in theory, taking a man out the midfield would have made our inability to compete in the middle of the park even worse.

Leishy1995
22-04-2013, 04:04 PM
I'd like to point out the our players get abuse if they retain position and then abuse if they go direct.

Then the same fans will ask for more direct or to stop punting it up to Leigh.

The 4-5-1 formation works if we have players playing near the striker, a midfield 3 of Doyle cairney and Harris would be fairly attacking.

Claros and Taiwo in behind

wick hibby
22-04-2013, 04:12 PM

100% agree