18-04-2013, 06:01 PM
From what I've seen of him who cares.

ALF TUPPER
18-04-2013, 06:01 PM
I forgot all about him ! :confused:

Scouse Hibee
18-04-2013, 06:04 PM
What has happened to him :confused:

Fenlon realised he is ****** and dropped him!

Heedersnvolleys
18-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Fenlon realised he is ****** and dropped him!

Aye he certainly has an eye for a player :wink:

Aldo
18-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Tell you what I Wouldnae be surprised if he started on Monday nite!!

lyonhibs
18-04-2013, 06:41 PM
He'll have a key to play in the remaining league games this season - aka the games that no-one gives 2 hoots about.

One-footed and entirely lacking in trickery to really get past a man.

Sprouleflyer
18-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Don't know but everyone is voting for him on the Goal of The Week thread!!!

Scouse Hibee
18-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Don't know but everyone is voting for him on the Goal of The Week thread!!!

:greengrin

Craig_in_Prague
18-04-2013, 06:52 PM
What has happened to him :confused:

He has been sent out to the lab. to see if they can find the trickery and pace he is meant to have.

snooky
18-04-2013, 07:03 PM
From the above posts it would appear that Matt's done.

I'm_cabbaged
18-04-2013, 07:17 PM
Thought he did ok against Kilmarnock in the cup when played on the left?

Eyrie
18-04-2013, 07:26 PM
From the above posts it would appear that Matt's done.

Agreed - should nickname him "Is". Good luck to him at his next club, but he's not good enough for us.

Mr White
18-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Agreed - should nickname him "Is". Good luck to him at his next club, but he's not good enough for us.

Probably right but I hope he takes his chance to shine should it come again, a lot of people wrote claros off too soon last year, done could yet play a part for us this season.

Paisley Hibby
18-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Thought he did ok against Kilmarnock in the cup when played on the left?

Well he got a goal but that was with a chance that even I could have scored. Otherwise I can't remember him doing much. Harris looked much better when he came on for him in the second half. A waste of money frankly.

West hamBERNIAN
18-04-2013, 07:51 PM
I reckon matt will still have a part to play in the run in and hopefully he does well. He's only had one really bad game, everyone has them. Wayne Rooney was rank rotten against the hammers last night. :agree:

Scouse Hibee
18-04-2013, 07:53 PM
I reckon matt will still have a part to play in the run in and hopefully he does well. He's only had one really bad game, everyone has them. Wayne Rooney was rank rotten against the hammers last night. :agree:

The point is the ones that weren't really bad were just bad. Here's hoping he has something to offer. Wayne Rooney is allowed bad games!

Viva_Palmeiras
18-04-2013, 08:09 PM
Aye he certainly has an eye for a player :wink:

One word Big Ben ;)

How many years has it taken to find a keeper with a bit of consistency?

West hamBERNIAN
18-04-2013, 08:15 PM
The point is the ones that weren't really bad were just bad. Here's hoping he has something to offer. Wayne Rooney is allowed bad games!

Fairly sure there were more than just matt that were really bad against well. Wasn't rooneys 1st bad game by the way. Wayne Rooney was an example, of coarse he's allowed a bad game, everybody is, even matt done. He doesn't even get 100k for the bad week.

Scouse Hibee
18-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Fairly sure there were more than just matt that were really bad against well. Wasn't rooneys 1st bad game by the way. Wayne Rooney was an example, of coarse he's allowed a bad game, everybody is, even matt done. He doesn't even get 100k for the bad week.

Not quite sure why you would use Wayne Rooney as a comparison in relation to Matt Done, one is player who has played at the top level since he was 16 the other is a player who has yet to show he can even perform at SPL level. He has been extremely disappointing since he arrived would you not agree?

Teuchter Hibbie
18-04-2013, 08:26 PM
He'll have a key to play in the remaining league games this season - aka the games that no-one gives 2 hoots about.

One-footed and entirely lacking in trickery to really get past a man.

This. Remember watching him in the first half of the most recent derby, against young Hearts FB who IIRC was either injured, booked or both - one-footed baby steps right up the touchline. Harris came on in the second half in his place and was very impressive.

Heedersnvolleys
18-04-2013, 08:28 PM
One word Big Ben ;)

Thats 2 but I will give you Big Ben but I am sure the goal keeping coach Scott Thomson would have picked him out!

Can we really afford, money wise and squad wise to have to have 2 senior players at CF and LB with the 21's for most of the session.

Winston Ingram
18-04-2013, 08:33 PM
It turns out he is actually Ali Dia in a latex suit:agree:

West hamBERNIAN
18-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Not quite sure why you would use Wayne Rooney as a comparison in relation to Matt Done, one is player who has played at the top level since he was 16 the other is a player who has yet to show he can even perform at SPL level. He has been extremely disappointing since he arrived would you not agree?

I mentioned Rooney to emphasise the fact that the so called best players in the world can play just as badly as Brian Kerr on an off day! He really was that bad. If a player with the kind of quality Wayne has can play that badly then surely common sense says matt done can have a really bad game without being victimised, the whole team performed badly. Yes he's not been brilliant or even good you might say. He has only had a few games here and has been positive and running at defenders, hopefully he'll get by a few more.

Scouse Hibee
18-04-2013, 08:41 PM
I mentioned Rooney to emphasise the fact that the so called best players in the world can play just as badly as Brian Kerr on an off day! He really was that bad. If a player with the kind of quality Wayne has can play that badly then surely common sense says matt done can have a really bad game without being victimised, the whole team performed badly. Yes he's not been brilliant or even good you might say. He has only had a few games here and has been positive and running at defenders, hopefully he'll get by a few more.

:aok: Glad you finally agree.

West hamBERNIAN
18-04-2013, 08:47 PM
:aok: Glad you finally agree.

Or do I?:rolleyes:

Shrekko
18-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Was listening to Michael Owen on the radio the other night and he was making the point that brave players aren't the ones throwing themselves into tackles but rather guys who will always look for the ball no matter what the situation is with a view to making positive things happen.

Done so far does not look like the worst footballer ever in that he can control the ball ok etc., but he is absolutely gutless IMO in terms of what he does when he has the ball and what he does when a team-mate in his vicinity is in possession.

For a winger to go pretty much 8 games without ever trying to beat a man or even run behind a marker without the ball takes some doing. We made the mistake of relying on loan players who couldn't give a stuff (not all of them) last season. Let's not even think of giving this guy a shot at a jersey at Hampden.

Scouse Hibee
18-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Or do I?:rolleyes:

Well Yes, unless someone else typed that response for you!

West hamBERNIAN
18-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Was listening to Michael Owen on the radio the other night and he was making the point that brave players aren't the ones throwing themselves into tackles but rather guys who will always look for the ball no matter what the situation is with a view to making positive things happen.

Done so far does not look like the worst footballer ever in that he can control the ball ok etc., but he is absolutely gutless IMO in terms of what he does when he has the ball and what he does when a team-mate in his vicinity is in possession.

For a winger to go pretty much 8 games without ever trying to beat a man or even run behind a marker without the ball takes some doing. We made the mistake of relying on loan players who couldn't give a stuff (not all of them) last season. Let's not even think of giving this guy a shot at a jersey at Hampden.

surely if he plays well enough between now and then he'd deserve to play??? What if he scores a hat trick at ***********? Or just plays better than spoony? He clearly has tried to go by defenders and has looked more capable at doing so than some IMO.

West hamBERNIAN
18-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Well Yes, unless someone else typed that response for you!

You said he was ******. I never once agreed with that. Which is what the conversation was about. :rolleyes:

Shrekko
18-04-2013, 10:27 PM
surely if he plays well enough between now and then he'd deserve to play??? What if he scores a hat trick at ***********? Or just plays better than spoony? He clearly has tried to go by defenders and has looked more capable at doing so than some IMO.

You've been watching a different guy to me but you're entitled to your opinion. We have to agree to differ regarding him looking to go past players.

If he scores a hat-trick at Tynie of course he'd deserve consideration, but these things are so easy to say. I'll file this one under 'id be delighted to be proved wrong' (he's not going to get a hat-trick).

Winston Ingram
19-04-2013, 07:11 AM

:confused:

He's not had a good one either

Winston Ingram
19-04-2013, 07:20 AM

Has he tried? He just runs beside the full back at the same pace and then kicks it off him. He's played 8 games and has yet to beat anyone.

He's one of these new unique wingers that isn't quick, doesn't have any tricks, can't beat a man or cross a ball:aok:

superfurryhibby
19-04-2013, 07:24 AM
This. Remember watching him in the first half of the most recent derby, against young Hearts FB who IIRC was either injured, booked or both - one-footed baby steps right up the touchline. Harris came on in the second half in his place and was very impressive.

The young grunt you refer to was injured when he carried out an appallling attempt at a tackle on Matt Done.

Done hasn't impressed too much. He has a work ethic at least and he will have a part to play in the run in so lets not get too carried away in criticism of the guy.

flash
19-04-2013, 07:57 AM
Jeez the guy's not set the heather on fire but neither has he eaten anyone's children as far as i am aware.

Have seen worse.

JimBHibees
19-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Jeez the guy's not set the heather on fire but neither has he eaten anyone's children as far as i am aware.

Have seen worse.

I agree criticism is over the top. He was very poor v Motherwell however by no stretch the only one and also played in our two best games away to United and Killie importantly giving us some balance on the left side. You have to imagine though his appearances will be limited though given Alex Harris however pretty sure he will appear in some games and who knows with a final coming up you always get a few guys

Holmesdale Hibs
19-04-2013, 08:45 AM
One word Big Ben ;)

Zibbi and Simon Brown were consistently ****. So was Tony Caig.

I thought Stack was ok. But agree with you're point, Williams has been a good find.

Thecat23
19-04-2013, 08:53 AM
Guys been here 5 mins and some of the ***** on here posted about him is a joke. Give the lad a break FFS. Folk on here were to quick to say Claros was rubbish. He may not be the best player but played in the right position he could be a good squad player for us. Imagine if he came on and scored the winner in the CF! He'd still get dogs abuse!!!

JimBHibees
19-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Guys been here 5 mins and some of the ***** on here posted about him is a joke. Give the lad a break FFS. Folk on here were to quick to say Claros was rubbish. He may not be the best player but played in the right position he could be a good squad player for us. Imagine if he came on and scored the winner in the CF! He'd still get dogs abuse!!!

I dont think he would. :greengrin

Winston Ingram
19-04-2013, 09:58 AM

He wouldn't and I'd love him to.

People saying he's only just got here and hasn't had a chance need tae get their heid oot there erse.

Alex Harris showed within 2 mins of his 1st team debut he had talent. Claros you could see had talent even though he wasn't translating it into decent performances.

This man has played in 8 games and shown **** all. Nowt. Not beaten a man, not put in a decent cross which are the primary functions of his role in the team. As an attacking player, his talent is the key part of his game and to have shown absolutely none in 8 games and expect people not to comment on it is ****** ridiculous.

Nobody here is advocating booing or barracking him, just commenting on an Internet forum on how poor his performances are and after 8 games I think that's by far and away enough time to form an opinion on a player, particularly considering how little he's demonstrated:agree:

GreenOnions
19-04-2013, 10:20 AM
I think it's simply that he hasn't done enough to warrant selection. I think that technically he's okay and he hasn't really done anything wrong. However, he hasn't contributed much in the way of incisive passes or crosses either - which is primarily what he's there for.

It is early to make a judgement and maybe if he got more time he would show us what he can do? However, unfortunately for him he's been pushed down the pecking order because Harris has come in and immediately made a difference in the way that Matt hasn't.

I'm sure Matt will get another chance in the last five league games. My advice to him would be to take a risk and try to get to the byeline or get a shot in rather than play it safe, check back and play the ball inside.

superfurryhibby
19-04-2013, 11:15 AM
I think it's simply that he hasn't done enough to warrant selection. I think that technically he's okay and he hasn't really done anything wrong. However, he hasn't contributed much in the way of incisive passes or crosses either - which is primarily what he's there for.

It is early to make a judgement and maybe if he got more time he would show us what he can do? However, unfortunately for him he's been pushed down the pecking order because Harris has come in and immediately made a difference in the way that Matt hasn't.

I'm sure Matt will get another chance in the last five league games. My advice to him would be to take a risk and try to get to the byeline or get a shot in rather than play it safe, check back and play the ball inside.

One is the difficulties for our wide players is that they need some service to demonstrate their ability. I remember thinking at the Hearts game that Done didn't received one pass from Lewis Stevenson that would have presented the opportunity to actually attack the full back. Most of the time it was short ball received, near the halfway line and when he was already closely marked. Might be nice to get one to run onto or see the full back run ahead into space to provide an option.

ChilliEater
19-04-2013, 12:04 PM
Ironically, given the number of full backs we've had over the last few years (Booth, Kujabi, Whittaker, probably a few more) who people think would be better on the wing, I think Done is a winger who would be better at full back. He seems to lack the flair you'd want in a winger, but works hard, is reasonably quick, fairly strong, strikes the ball nicely, hasn't made any shocking errors that I can think of - looks like a full back to me.

Winston Ingram
19-04-2013, 12:23 PM
One is the difficulties for our wide players is that they need some service to demonstrate their ability. I remember thinking at the Hearts game that Done didn't received one pass from Lewis Stevenson that would have presented the opportunity to actually attack the full back. Most of the time it was short ball received, near the halfway line and when he was already closely marked. Might be nice to get one to run onto or see the full back run ahead into space to provide an option.

Unfortunately, in the 8 games Matt has played he's had more than enough of the ball, just done **** all with it:agree:

Fergus52
19-04-2013, 12:26 PM

I would say that the championship is currently a step above from the SPL?

I'll agree he's not looked anything special since coming, but I find it funny how quick everyone is to write off a player that Crystal Palace bid 500k for in the summer. Papers reported it and on all the Barsnley forums I looked on they spoke about it as if it had definitely happened.

superfurryhibby
19-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Unfortunately, in the 8 games Matt has played he's had more than enough of the ball, just done **** all with it:agree:

I've not seen all the other games but I was at that one and he didn't get a decent pass the whole time he was on the field.

What about my wider point, that any wide player will struggle without reasonable service (ie: Ivan Sproule-not good enough or just not being used appropriately).

brog
19-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Let me try & answer the original question, ie whats happened to MD? This is actually my most pertinent criticism of PF ( who I generally admire ) in that he sticks with players for a while then they vanish. The most obvious examples are Pa Kujabi, Stephens & Kuqi, to a lesser extent. In the case of the first 2, most people agreed they shouldn't be near the team ( in PK's case certainly not as a LB ) but PF stuck with them then they were summarily dismissed. This seems to have happened to some extent with Done though I think there's 2 mitigating factors, 1) he was suspended for semi & 2) we're obviously not going to sign him so not too much point in playing him.
Including Done we now have 9 players competing for a maximum of 4 midfield spots ( Claros is a given ) Harris, Cairney, Deegan, Robertson, Thomson, Wotherspoon, Taiwo, Stevenson being the others. Most of those will be here next season so Done is most likely to find himself on bench & used as an impact ( hopefully ) sub. Whatever, if we win final I'm sure he, along with Spoony, Deegan & Doyle will be regarded with great affection by Hibs fans even if they never play again.

Winston Ingram
19-04-2013, 03:10 PM
I've not seen all the other games but I was at that one and he didn't get a decent pass the whole time he was on the field.

What about my wider point, that any wide player will struggle without reasonable service (ie: Ivan Sproule-not good enough or just not being used appropriately).

I've seen them all.

A wide player is more dependant on service than a central player. In this case however,it's irrelevant as he has had plenty:agree:

Winston Ingram
19-04-2013, 03:12 PM

I'll agree he's not looked anything special since coming, but I find it funny how quick everyone is to write off a player that Crystal Palace bid 500k for in the summer. Papers reported it and on all the Barsnley forums I looked on they spoke about it as if it had definitely happened.

...and pretty much every single one of them couldn't believe they turned it down.

superfurryhibby
19-04-2013, 04:57 PM
I've seen them all.

A wide player is more dependant on service than a central player. In this case however,it's irrelevant as he has had plenty:agree:

Can't agree. Our full backs, except McGivern,appear unable to create much for the wide players nor can central mid. Done would benefit from better service. Regardless, left mid is up for grabs, up to him and the others to grasp the chance.

Winston Ingram
19-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Can't agree. Our full backs, except McGivern,appear unable to create much for the wide players nor can central mid. Done would benefit from better service. Regardless, left mid is up for grabs, up to him and the others to grasp the chance.

I'm struggling to get your point.

How do you know he needs better service when you've admitted you've only seen 1 of his games?

He's had plenty service

Scouse Hibee
19-04-2013, 05:04 PM

So what? If we had paid 500k for him, would that make him perform better than what we have seen from him so far?

Green Fish
19-04-2013, 05:06 PM
I suspect that Done being signed so late in the day means that PF missed out on his intended targets.

Hoping that Done comes good, not vital though due to emergence of Harris. If Spoony gets his act together we'll have plenty options.

Winston Ingram
19-04-2013, 05:33 PM
I suspect that Done being signed so late in the day means that PF missed out on his intended targets.

Hoping that Done comes good, not vital though due to emergence of Harris. If Spoony gets his act together we'll have plenty options.

I don't think that's even in doubt. It was well publicised that we were in for Wylde & Swanson

superfurryhibby
19-04-2013, 05:34 PM

How do you know he needs better service when you've admitted you've only seen 1 of his games?

He's had plenty service
I have a season ticket and also went to the home cup games.I said I hadn't been to all Done's games. My point is that the jury is out and that he's not as bad as some folks are saying.

Winston Ingram
19-04-2013, 05:40 PM
I have a season ticket and also went to the home cup games. My point is that the jury is out and that he's not as bad as some folks are saying.

how can you say that if you've only seen 1 of his games?:confused:

superfurryhibby
19-04-2013, 09:25 PM
how can you say that if you've only seen 1 of his games?:confused:

I never said how many games I'd been to. Only that I`d not seen all his games ?

Thecat23
19-04-2013, 09:56 PM

He's had plenty service

Clear you don't rate him. No matter what anyone says. He scored v Killie Cup game? Without that goal would Hibs have reached the final? Maybe yes maybe no! Either way he's not as bad as folk say and I think there is a player there. Maybe if Pat plays him in the right position and with the support he can do his job. Hibs play very narrow and for me they didn't involve him nearly enough and bear in mind he's been played on the wrong side of the pitch!!!

Pray4Marc
20-04-2013, 12:21 AM

Totally agree, negativity is OTT. Provides a good balance on the wing, tracks back and has a good work rate. Take him over Spoony every time who is defensively a complete liability.

Teuchter Hibbie
20-04-2013, 01:20 AM
The young grunt you refer to was injured when he carried out an appallling attempt at a tackle on Matt Done.

Done hasn't impressed too much. He has a work ethic at least and he will have a part to play in the run in so lets not get too carried away in criticism of the guy.

I'm sure he'll get more opportunities in the first team in the upcoming run of fixtures, it's up to him to prove he is worthy of a place in the CF squad. As I said before, I don't rate him at all on the basis of what I've seen thus far, particularly when Harris - playing in the same position - has offered far, far more. He does have a good work ethic, but I think that is something that is perhaps "over-valued" at Hibs in recent times thanks to several years of lazy players who didn't give their all in every game. For me, a good work ethic should be a given for any player pulling on a green and white jersey, and it's something Fenlon's addressed this year. I do appreciate he wasn't Fenlon's first choice signing, but imo he faces a very tall order to make the squad for the 26th May.

Winston Ingram
20-04-2013, 06:39 AM
I never said how many games I'd been to. Only that I`d not seen all his games ?

So what's yer point? He's had plenty service, just like Alex Harris has

superfurryhibby
20-04-2013, 07:21 AM
So what's yer point? He's had plenty service, just like Alex Harris has
Like a dug wae a bone. No, service is poor. I have alreadymade my points.

Winston Ingram
20-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Like a dug wae a bone. No, service is poor. I have alreadymade my points.

Have you? You've given an example of 1 game:confused: