PDA

View Full Version : Mogadon Talks Midfield

Speedway
17-04-2013, 12:24 PM
I found Lexo's tactical analysis on the semi to be very interesting.

Some highlights:

He said: “Falkirk controlled the game, the Hibs midfield never matched runs and allowed the Falkirk players to run off them. Hibs just didn’t have any penetration whatsoever, the midfield lacked pace to get up and down.

“At half-time I’d imagine Falkirk would be thinking they had the game won, the only danger for them was trying to make it a spectacle. Full credit to them, they gave everything and their manager should be very proud of them but I think they were just lacking that bit of experience. They tried to make it an open game, a spectacle when they should have shut up shop and said ‘this is winning football’.”

Fenlon admitted after the match he’d probably got things wrong initially but the changes he made after the interval did, in Miller’s estimation, contribute to the sensational turnaround in Hibs’ fortunes.

He said: “In the first half the ball was getting played in the air to Griffiths and there was nothing he could do as there was no quick support getting to him. But he and Doyle worked together, one coming off as Doyle did for Hibs’ first goal, that was the difference.

“Hibs’ wide players played higher up the pitch, Falkirk’s full backs were pulled towards the ball and Hibs started getting their full backs down the sides and were able to switch the play. That resulted in Darren Dods and Johnny Flynn being wider in their positions.

“But it was one of the best semi-finals I have seen in a long time, a brilliant game.”

Full article here taken from his upcoming autobiography 'Attack, Attack, Attack' - The Alex Miller Story.

http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/football/hibs/alex-miller-saw-hibs-emulate-istanbul-miracle-1-2898479?

Billy Whizz
17-04-2013, 01:04 PM
From my view in the North it looked like were too deep in the 1st half. In the 2nd half we defended far higher up the park and the gap between all the areas was far narrored. Lexo's right in that both full backs were further forward

Bishop Hibee
17-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Similar to when Mogadon played Micky Weir up front v Motherwell and was isolated from the midfield. Maybe that game and countless other capitulations helped him in his analysisof this game.

BonnieFitbaTeam
17-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Similar to when Mogadon played Micky Weir up front v Motherwell and was isolated from the midfield. Maybe that game and countless other capitulations helped him in his analysisof this game.

That wan't necessarily the most ridiculous tactic in the world. Proceeding to pump long balls to the smallest man on the park, however...

Kato
17-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Full article here taken from his upcoming autobiography 'Attack, Attack, Attack' - The Alex Miller Story.

[ s****** ]

AndyB_70
17-04-2013, 05:52 PM
I'm looking forward to Brian Hamilton's book "The Midfield General"

HIBERNIAN-0762
17-04-2013, 06:27 PM

High time for a "like" icon on these pages...

Treadstone
17-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Having been an attender of roughly 90% of Lexos Hibs games, I feel confident that he would have used Sparky as a left wing back.

lord bunberry
17-04-2013, 06:42 PM
It's good to see miller does irony, he must lightening up in his old age

Jonnyboy
17-04-2013, 07:39 PM
I found Lexo's tactical analysis on the semi to be very interesting.

Some highlights:

He said: “Falkirk controlled the game, the Hibs midfield never matched runs and allowed the Falkirk players to run off them. Hibs just didn’t have any penetration whatsoever, the midfield lacked pace to get up and down.

“At half-time I’d imagine Falkirk would be thinking they had the game won, the only danger for them was trying to make it a spectacle. Full credit to them, they gave everything and their manager should be very proud of them but I think they were just lacking that bit of experience. They tried to make it an open game, a spectacle when they should have shut up shop and said ‘this is winning football’.”

Fenlon admitted after the match he’d probably got things wrong initially but the changes he made after the interval did, in Miller’s estimation, contribute to the sensational turnaround in Hibs’ fortunes.

He said: “In the first half the ball was getting played in the air to Griffiths and there was nothing he could do as there was no quick support getting to him. But he and Doyle worked together, one coming off as Doyle did for Hibs’ first goal, that was the difference.

“Hibs’ wide players played higher up the pitch, Falkirk’s full backs were pulled towards the ball and Hibs started getting their full backs down the sides and were able to switch the play. That resulted in Darren Dods and Johnny Flynn being wider in their positions.

“But it was one of the best semi-finals I have seen in a long time, a brilliant game.”

http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/football/hibs/alex-miller-saw-hibs-emulate-istanbul-miracle-1-2898479?

Pffffffffffffft :greengrin

MotherSuperior
17-04-2013, 07:43 PM

anyone mind the matchday programmes that had hammy and super Joe advertising a tanning salon? Very funny.

neilmartinrocks
17-04-2013, 07:44 PM

????????????????? somebodies ripping the pish here surely?

:confused::confused::confused:

I'm_cabbaged
17-04-2013, 07:46 PM
It's good to see miller does irony, he must lightening up in his old age

I was at a historical trust do for the CIS cup victory to which he was in attendance. I know I shouldn't have but couldn't resist "could you sign this for my son" Big grin on his face he says"no problem what's his name? I tells him and he's signing the ticket to my son I says "the weeman will be made up, he's a big Liverpool fan" if looks could kill!! :)

Davy Mac
17-04-2013, 07:51 PM
Jeezo, from the man who used to scream at his full backs who dared to go past the half way line.

Saturday's first half performance reminded a bit of the miller's days, uninspiring, dull and defensive - apart from the SKOL Cup Final of course!

Doubt Miller would have changed the tactics like Fenlon did but you never know........

fat freddy
17-04-2013, 07:52 PM
anyone mind the matchday programmes that had hammy and super Joe advertising a tanning salon? Very funny.

super joe in a towel....he was an advertisers dream with his dark italian looks....gordon's trattoria on the royal mile used him in their adverts as well....a good place for a late night peeve where you could often find hibs players taking advantage of the managements generosity.

truehibernian
17-04-2013, 08:02 PM
super joe in a towel....he was an advertisers dream with his dark italian looks....gordon's trattoria on the royal mile used him in their adverts as well....a good place for a late night peeve where you could often find hibs players taking advantage of the managements generosity.

Gordon is a staunch Hibee - spent many a late night at the Trattoria. Lovely guy and family - his ex has a B&B down Pilrig way and is a brilliant laugh. Mind going there regularly just ordering garlic bread and two or three bottles of house red.......happy happy days :greengrin

keep the faith
17-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Having been an attender of roughly 90% of Lexos Hibs games, I feel confident that he would have used Sparky as a left wing back.

Ha! That made me laugh and nod in agreement at the same time!

NOLA
17-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Gordon is a staunch Hibee - spent many a late night at the Trattoria. Lovely guy and family - his ex has a B&B down Pilrig way and is a brilliant laugh. Mind going there regularly just ordering garlic bread and two or three bottles of house red.......happy happy days
:greengrin was he not given the restaurant as a wedding gift from old man victor? i was at the wedding as a lad, good family :agree: sure the reception was at the carlton

Kojock
17-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Joe in a towel in a tanning studio

NOLA
17-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Joe in a towel in a tanning studio

all the ladies love JoeT

clerriehibs
17-04-2013, 10:24 PM
Jeezo, from the man who used to scream at his full backs who dared to go past the half way line.

Saturday's first half performance reminded a bit of the miller's days, uninspiring, dull and defensive - apart from the SKOL Cup Final of course!

Doubt Miller would have changed the tactics like Fenlon did but you never know........

played 5 forwards at once in a semi at ipox didn't he, and in the replay? We still lost, but he wasn't as bad as the urban myth alleges.

ballengeich
17-04-2013, 10:49 PM
Miller's midfield usually involved Pat McGinlay. Can someone remind me how his scoring record compared with this season's usuals - Claros, Deegan, Taiwo etc?

Saorsa
17-04-2013, 10:54 PM

:faf: :faf: :faf:

Kato
17-04-2013, 11:01 PM
, but he wasn't as bad as the urban myth alleges.

You're calling it an urban myth, but that doesn't make it so. Until the early 90's many matches under Miller were like watching porridge dry. Zonal marking, percentage instructions, over-cautious, very few shots in a game, too many draws - all in all boring. Fair enough he brought in some really good forwards in his mid-period and you could say he was right to be cautious at times given we were candidates for relegation when he arrived but after that mid-period we were rubbish again and games seemed to last 190 mins they were so achingly morose. An old boy next to us in the east regularly fell asleep in the season and a half before he left<<NO LIE. Budgie says it all in his book by claiming he was his least favourite manager as he talked up the opposition to the point some players went out scared. Add to that his derby record, which was abysmal, and I'll raise your Urban Myth to Actual Fact - Mogadon Miller, drab as a wet Wednesday at a Sighthill bus-stop.

wookie70
17-04-2013, 11:54 PM
Sparky would have been sub as he would have made a slot available for his Laddie first

Hibby Bairn
18-04-2013, 06:56 AM
You're calling it an urban myth, but that doesn't make it so. Until the early 90's many matches under Miller were like watching porridge dry. Zonal marking, percentage instructions, over-cautious, very few shots in a game, too many draws - all in all boring. Fair enough he brought in some really good forwards in his mid-period and you could say he was right to be cautious at times given we were candidates for relegation when he arrived but after that mid-period we were rubbish again and games seemed to last 190 mins they were so achingly morose. An old boy next to us in the east regularly fell asleep in the season and a half before he left<<NO LIE. Budgie says it all in his book by claiming he was his least favourite manager as he talked up the opposition to the point some players went out scared. Add to that his derby record, which was abysmal, and I'll raise your Urban Myth to Actual Fact - Mogadon Miller, drab as a wet Wednesday at a Sighthill bus-stop.

Sounds just like the past year watching Hibs.

Treadstone
18-04-2013, 07:18 AM
played 5 forwards at once in a semi at ipox didn't he, and in the replay? We still lost, but he wasn't as bad as the urban myth alleges.

Without doubt the most negative manager in the Scottish game in the last 30 years. Championed in the press by hacks who didn't have to watch it. Hid behind the takeover attempt in 1990 as one of the reasons why until Jan 91 we didn't score two goals in a game. I was there cup game against Clyde on a Monday night and one of the goals was a Willie Miller cross.

Phil D. Rolls
18-04-2013, 08:36 AM

He hooked Tommy McIntyre in a semi after 30 minutes. We were three nil down at this point, but we didn't come back to win 4 - 3.

Stevie Reid
18-04-2013, 08:38 AM
I've written loads of long posts on here about Miller, so not going to do so again. However, if I was a kid who was taken along to ER in the last few seasons, I wouldn't want to go back. I was 9 when Lexo took over, and although it was hard going sometimes, there were always players who were exciting to watch, and I loved watching Hibs. Ok, I wasn't as discerning as an adult at a young age, but when I was 19 and he resigned, I had seen some fantastic players play for us, and we had won a trophy.

Gets a much harder time than he deserves.

Stevie Reid
18-04-2013, 08:40 AM
He hooked Tommy McIntyre in a semi after 30 minutes. We were three nil down at this point, but we didn't come back to win 4 - 3.

Mark McGhee ripped McIntyre to shreds that day, took him a couple of years to recover. I remember getting a tape of Hibs games from a mate years after that semi final, and the 90 minutes was on it - I was amazed at how well we played. We were 3 nil down very early, but the performance was much better than the scoreline suggests.

ZIBBY'SGLOVES
18-04-2013, 09:11 AM
anyone mind the matchday programmes that had hammy and super joe advertising a tanning salon? Very funny.

NOLA
18-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Mark McGhee ripped McIntyre to shreds that day, took him a couple of years to recover. I remember getting a tape of Hibs games from a mate years after that semi final, and the 90 minutes was on it - I was amazed at how well we played. We were 3 nil down very early, but the performance was much better than the scoreline suggests.
I thought it was steve fulton who caused tommy mac to get subbed, could be wrong of course, once it got to 3 me and my mate spent more time annoying his old man than watching the game ;)

Stevie Reid
18-04-2013, 09:33 AM
I thought it was steve fulton who caused tommy mac to get subbed, could be wrong of course, once it got to 3 me and my mate spent more time annoying his old man than watching the game ;)

Baggio got the man of the match award (or KwikFit Mr Superfit as I think it was called, ironically) but I'm pretty sure that it was McGhee who was playing wide left.