PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma

scottp1875
17-04-2013, 12:34 AM
Ok so saw other thread about missing the final and thought I'd share my dilemma.

My daughter's 4th birthday party happens to be 26th May and obviously clashes with our big day. It will be her first party with all her nursery friends coming and I'm expected to be there.

Realised the dates clashed only during the Killie game when started to realise we may get to Hampden again but didn't want to think of my dilemma till I had a decision to make. At halftime during the semi I thought the decision had been made for me but the hibees came back from the dead and here we are.

Now the wife knows how important Hibs winning the cup is after the build up to last years final but is giving me the guilt of all the other parents turning up to the party and her having to explain that my girl's daddy is away to the fitba instead of helping at the party.

Should I stay or should I go, what's everyone's thoughts?

matty_f
17-04-2013, 12:47 AM
Have the party on the Saturday, and take her to the final.

KWJ
17-04-2013, 12:49 AM

This. Or ger a pretty great present on the Sunday. Offer this and the wife can't complain! Can't miss the game.

Time For Heroes
17-04-2013, 02:56 AM
Easy solution, move to Australia, have the kids party in the afternoon then sit up and watch the game at midnight, everyones a winner!
;0)

macca70
17-04-2013, 04:27 AM
Spend the day with her on the Saturday.

Let the Mrs deal with the party on the Sunday, wouldnae imagine there would be too many Dad's there anyway.

Craig_in_Prague
17-04-2013, 04:51 AM
Having a wee boy myself now, child 1st everytime. I am not likely going to travel back for the game as I need so many things still for him.
Unless rearranging to the Sat works, IMO you should be there for your childs party.

Lucius Apuleius
17-04-2013, 06:09 AM
the kid will have many many more birthdays. I don't think she will be mentally scarred by you not being there. No dilemma in my eyes.

:-)

hibee_girl
17-04-2013, 06:11 AM
Speaking as a mother, I'd have party on Saturday and go to the final on the Sunday :greengrin

MSK
17-04-2013, 06:16 AM
Speaking as a mother, I'd have party on Saturday and go to the final on the Sunday :greengrinAs a Father ..I would agree wi this ..:greengrin

NYHibby
17-04-2013, 06:21 AM
Having a wee boy myself now, child 1st everytime. I am not likely going to travel back for the game as I need so many things still for him.
Unless rearranging to the Sat works, IMO you should be there for your childs party.

Speaking as a childless 20something, I agree with this.

Brightside
17-04-2013, 06:45 AM
Move the party and take him to the game for his birthday. Its only a birthday party - he'll have loads of them.

marinello59
17-04-2013, 07:01 AM
I used to check the fixture lists prior to my wee lads birthday so if needs be I could take charge of booking whichever soft play house of horrors the party was to be held in. His birthday only clashed with a match once and the venue was 'unavailable' that day so the party had to be held the day before. And that was only a bog standard league match. I am not proud.......but I would do it again.
(If Mrs M59 is reading this......somebody nicked my log in. )

Allant1981
17-04-2013, 07:04 AM
Normally i would say go to the party but unless your mrs really needs you there then it has to be the football.

JollyGreenGiant
17-04-2013, 07:16 AM
If you can't move the party, then just explain to the wife that its usually the mums that take their kids to party's - most dad won't be getting roped into a kids party on Scottish Cup Final day.

Good luck!

lyonhibs
17-04-2013, 07:16 AM
Your bairn will have a 5th, 6th and so on birthday party. Scottish Cup finals, - despite the last couple of years - come on average about once a decade for Hibs.

Move the party.

Jay
17-04-2013, 07:19 AM
Plan a - move th party, ive done it loads of times for lesser games

Plan b- go to the footy anyway.

bighairyfaeleith
17-04-2013, 07:19 AM
Your bairn will have a 5th, 6th and so on birthday party. Scottish Cup finals, - despite the last couple of years - come on average about once a decade for Hibs.

Move the party.

aye and scottish cup wins even less frequently

Your wife can cope on her own for one day, the bairn won't even notice you are not there with so much going on.

Killiehibbie
17-04-2013, 07:30 AM
Move the party.

Can anybody confirm if it's a dilemma or as I think I was taught a dilemna :confused:

ronaldo7
17-04-2013, 07:30 AM
Book a party bus, and give them a pie and bovril.:wink:

Tickets might be a problem though:greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
17-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Move the party.

Can anybody confirm if it's a dilemma or as I think I was taught a dilemna :confused:

Double M when I was at school auld yin. :wink:

Waxy
17-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Go to the game. I've been with hibs longer than my missus. Been with the missus for 10 seasons

Lucius Apuleius
17-04-2013, 07:39 AM
Go to the game. I've been with hibs longer than my missus. Been with the missus for 10 seasons

Correct, and you can always get another wife.

Killiehibbie
17-04-2013, 07:56 AM
Double M when I was at school auld yin. :wink:It seems mm is correct but mn is often used, i'm even more confused.

CropleyWasGod
17-04-2013, 08:17 AM
It seems mm is correct but mn is often used, i'm even more confused.

This is the case.

Pedant, A.

Yuillsy
17-04-2013, 08:20 AM
I've got 2 wee girls mate, the oldest 1 will be 4 in September. I'm taking her to the final.
The youngest was born 4 days before the final last year and me and the Mrs both managed to attend the final (unfortunately).
Try and rearrange the party and go to the game, if that can't be done you need to go to the game. Your kids come 1st in life with every decision you make but on this occasion I think you need to be selfish and hope the Mrs understands. Once your daughter starts running around at the party with her friends she won't even notice you're not there.

Hermit Crab
17-04-2013, 08:23 AM
Ok so saw other thread about missing the final and thought I'd share my dilemma.

My daughter's 4th birthday party happens to be 26th May and obviously clashes with our big day. It will be her first party with all her nursery friends coming and I'm expected to be there.

Realised the dates clashed only during the Killie game when started to realise we may get to Hampden again but didn't want to think of my dilemma till I had a decision to make. At halftime during the semi I thought the decision had been made for me but the hibees came back from the dead and here we are.

Now the wife knows how important Hibs winning the cup is after the build up to last years final but is giving me the guilt of all the other parents turning up to the party and her having to explain that my girl's daddy is away to the fitba instead of helping at the party.

No brainier. Hibs.

Kojock
17-04-2013, 08:24 AM
Take a £10 note out the wife's purse and hide it in the child's room. When the wife discovers it missing say, I saw (insert child's name) with a £10 note earlier. Search the child's room and find the tenner. Tell the child that as she has been dishonest her birthday party has been cancelled. You can then go to the game without a problem. :wink:

NOLA
17-04-2013, 08:29 AM
How many scottish cup finals will hibs get to? How many birthdays will your kid have? Move the party, problem solved.

Sent from my Tapatalk

Yuillsy
17-04-2013, 08:34 AM
Take a £10 note out the wife's purse and hide it in the child's room. When the wife discovers it missing say, I saw (insert child's name) with a £10 note earlier. Search the child's room and find the tenner. Tell the child that as she has been dishonest her birthday party has been cancelled. You can then go to the game without a problem. :wink:

Hamish, you are an evil genius!!!;-)

Andy74
17-04-2013, 08:43 AM
Turn it around - this is really a test of whether your family love and support you.

Reaper
17-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Depends on the circs. You've less chance of your daughter letting you down. I'd be at the party and you can share the moment with her when we win. Im a ST holder but all my mates that are Hibs fans are PATG so if I buy a ticket Ill be standing on my own so Im considering not going to the final so I can be with my son who will be seven weeks old when we win it. He might not remember it but I will.

JimBHibees
17-04-2013, 09:02 AM

:faf::faf::top marks:not worth

Purehibee_MYB
17-04-2013, 09:05 AM
I don't remember my 4th birthday so chances are your daughter won't! It's a special day but try get it moved if not, I'm sure folk will understand the importance of the game and why you can't be at the party

hibee_girl
17-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Moving party seems best option, there might be a few kids who don't turn up on the Sunday due to the final anyway!

scott7_0(Prague)
17-04-2013, 09:23 AM

Your kid will have many birthdays, but Hibs and Scottish finals are less frequent (unless your 2 years old.).... Hibs over the Kid/party (as a father of 2)

just dont let my wife see this. Oh and i am 99% not getting to come over for the final, to much financially on this year and cannot justify 400quid+ for 2 or 3 days in Scotland.

Makaveli
17-04-2013, 09:28 AM
If Hibs are important enough to you that you would even consider missing your kid's birthday for this game, your wife should understand that Hibs are so important to you that you don't really have a choice.

Steve-O
17-04-2013, 09:32 AM
How long have you loved Hibs?

How long have you loved your daughter?

Answer with the most years wins.

END OF.

theonlywayisup
17-04-2013, 09:51 AM

It is your own fault you have this dilemma! You should have, by now, got your child so mad on Hibs that they would be coming to you and saying "I don't want a party, I want to go and watch Hibs".:greengrin

My wee boy had probably been to around forty games by the time he was four - his first was when he was 6 weeks old.

He was disappointed if he could go to a game (e.g. a night game).

Back to your dilemma, as others have said, I would go to the game and move the party to the Saturday. I am sure most parents would understand.

HibeeEmma
17-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Correct, and you can always get another wife.

Trust you to come up with that one!

Onion
17-04-2013, 10:02 AM

If she's a normal 4 yo, she's bound to get up no good in the next 6 weeks. Failing that, offer her a sip of your beer. If accepted, that's it go to your room party cancelled. Problem solved, other parent will understand. Worked for me every time. Are you a Hibby or what :cb

wookie70
17-04-2013, 10:06 AM
My daughter is 8 that day and fortunately likes football so is going to the Final. I would change the party to the Saturday. When you think about it 5 out of 7 birthdays fall on weekdays and the Parties are nearly always the weekend so most of the time a Party won't be on the birthday. Also add in a bit of moral blackmail that you would never forgive your wife and daughter if you were denied the chance to see Hibs lift the Cup.

Hibrandenburg
17-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Have the kids party in the kitchen and pick up a minibus full of drunks from Waverly station bar and dump them in your living room with the telly on and tell them that smoking is only allowed in the toilet. Hey presto! You can have the best of both worlds and it's guaranteed to be a day she'll remember.

Albanian Hibs
17-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Speaking as a mother. Fathers just get in the way at kids birthday parties. Go to the game.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-04-2013, 10:23 AM
To people taking pre-school age bairns to games, whats the point? Its doubtful they'll remember anything about it anyway. If you are taking them good luck to you though.

theonlywayisup
17-04-2013, 10:28 AM
To people taking pre-school age bairns to games, whats the point? Its doubtful they'll remember anything about it anyway. If you are taking them good luck to you though.

My wee boy loved the Killie 5-1 cup final and celebrations at Easter Road afterwards. He as 3, approaching 4 when at the game, and loved it. Yes, he doesn't recall much of the day now, but he does remember being at the game and the pictures of him there keep the memory alive.

Andy74
17-04-2013, 10:31 AM

A couple of reasons - it means you can still go to the game even if your are on kid duty that day. Secondly, they may not remember as such but it all adds up as they start to get a wee bit older, my daugher is six and she has always just remembered going having done so since she was about three so I'm not trying to persuade her at a later age when she is at school and living in Livingston surrounded by kids supporting other teams. I only take her occasionally but sometimes its the only option if I want to make the game.

theonlywayisup
17-04-2013, 10:36 AM

Also meant to add, the gap between the Killie game and the cup final is 12 weeks. Did you really have your child's birthday party booked that far ahead? Ours is usually 4-5 weeks prior to the event, when we send out invitations.

Reaper
17-04-2013, 10:54 AM

My son is 3 weeks old. I want to take him to the game but my missus says no. Regardless what age he is, I agree he may not remember BUT I will. If we won the cup I would remember forever I was with him when it happened. He is the single most important thing in my life and I want him to share other memorable moments with me. Thats the point for me. Not for everyone though.

Argylehibby
17-04-2013, 10:59 AM
You should ask your wife how she thinks your daughter will feel in a number of years time knowing that a party she can't remember cost her dad the chance to see his team win the cup for the first and possibly only time in his lifetime. Yes she will feel proud that you gave up the chance for her but guilty as hell that you were denied the chance to be there just to attend the party. If it was any old league game then go to the party, but this game, go to the football and save your wee girl the torture in years to come if we do win it.

bigwheel
17-04-2013, 11:57 AM
To be honest , this isn't really a dilemma - it's perhaps a slight hassle :). The football it has to be...your daughter won't even notice your not there when her party is on ...

If all fails , buy your daughter a puppy for her birthday - your wife will be so annoyed the football won't even be a discussion point ! ;-)

Yuillsy
17-04-2013, 12:01 PM

I can only speak for my own daughter but she has an extremely good memory and regularly blethers away about things that happened months ago so I'm sure she'll retain some sort of memory of it. Everyone in both my own and the Mrs immediate family will be there and when we talking about it on sunday afternoon my daughter asked if she could come. As far as I'm concerned it's a no brainer!

Danderhall Hibs
17-04-2013, 12:05 PM

This is the best option.

Another option is to book the party for 10am on the Sunday, giving you time to get through to Hampden.

Final option is - no party. Why do kids need parties on their birthday so often nowadays - it wasn't like that in my day.

EdinMike
17-04-2013, 12:06 PM
I don't remember my 4th birthday so chances are your daughter won't! It's a special day but try get it moved if not, I'm sure folk will understand the importance of the game and why you can't be at the party

I do... My dad went to the Skol Cup Semi final... I don't remember hating him for it I remember running around like an eejit when Keith Wright Scored. :aok:

I'de say move it to the Saturday if you can. If not smuggle the kid to Hampden and laugh at the fact your wife planned a party and non of you are there.

And then wait on the divorce papers on Monday :greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
17-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Trust you to come up with that one!

Come on Em, I have only been married for 33 years 6 months and 25 days. I have always loved Hibs. Blinking heck, I even loved Suzi Quatro, Olivia Newtonjohn and Isla St Clair before I loved the missus :greengrin

Technofob
17-04-2013, 12:14 PM
If you decide not to go can I have your ticket for my granny, and if you've renewed for next season can I have your second ticket for my other granny?? :wink:

Lucius Apuleius
17-04-2013, 01:09 PM
If you decide not to go can I have your ticket for my granny, and if you've renewed for next season can I have your second ticket for my other granny?? :wink:

I wish I still had both my grannies at your age. How old's your Granny?

Killiehibbie
17-04-2013, 01:14 PM
To people taking pre-school age bairns to games, whats the point? Its doubtful they'll remember anything about it anyway. If you are taking them good luck to you though.I went to my first game aged 4. I remember seeing lots of goals and a cup getting paraded. It was certainly more memorable than a lot of what followed.

scottp1875
17-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Also meant to add, the gap between the Killie game and the cup final is 12 weeks. Did you really have your child's birthday party booked that far ahead? Ours is usually 4-5 weeks prior to the event, when we send out invitations.

Yep the missus is very organised and as its her first real party, booking venue, entertainment etc she got it booked a couple of months ago.

At no point dud I even consider that the cup final would be on a Sunday, let alone if Hibs would be there.

Liking lots of the suggestions and as has been said before, not being there on the day that Hibs could actually do it I would never forgive myself and its only my kids that would even leave me with a decision over anything else.

Unfortunately party can't be moved but time on my hands to lay it on thick about how important this is for me. Also got some other hibee family members who I will lean on to help persuade the missus what the right thing to so is

On a funny way it's nice to have the dilemma as I'm 34 and have only been to 2 scottish cup finals so doesn't come along very often. My other daughter who is 20 months would disagree with that though.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-04-2013, 05:43 PM
I went to my first game aged 4. I remember seeing lots of goals and a cup getting paraded. It was certainly more memorable than a lot of what followed.

Maybe I'm just getting old then as I am struggling to remember any games prior to Stanton's Testimonial although I was at loads.

DH1875
17-04-2013, 06:37 PM

100% GO. She will have plenty of other birthday's. As for the other parents, my kids go to parties all the time and unless its family I dont hang around. When my kids have a party its the mums who bring the other kids. Very rarely will a bloke rock up.

Lang Toun Hibs
17-04-2013, 07:01 PM
the kid will have many many more birthdays. I don't think she will be mentally scarred by you not being there. No dilemma in my eyes.

:-)

Agreed - As a father of three young ones, there would be no dilemma. Ask yourself the following simple questions:-

Does your daughter have a birthday every year?

Have you missed previous birthdays?

Do Hibs reach finals every year?

Have you seen Hibs win the Scottish Cup?

If you answer "yes" to all the above, then stay for the party. If not, go to the final and party after!
:flag:

Scouse Hibee
17-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Just think how upset your daughter will be when amongst all the presents, party games ,high jinks ,running about mad with friends she actually realises you're not there. Go to the game mate.

Davy Mac
17-04-2013, 07:58 PM
I've got 2 wee girls mate, the oldest 1 will be 4 in September. I'm taking her to the final.
The youngest was born 4 days before the final last year and me and the Mrs both managed to attend the final (unfortunately).
Try and rearrange the party and go to the game, if that can't be done you need to go to the game. Your kids come 1st in life with every decision you make but on this occasion I think you need to be selfish and hope the Mrs understands. Once your daughter starts running around at the party with her friends she won't even notice you're not there.

I've tried to read your post a few times and can't quite concentrate on it as i have to say and slightly off topic you have a nice avatar....;-)

Davy Mac
17-04-2013, 08:02 PM
Maybe I'm just getting old then as I am struggling to remember any games prior to Stanton's Testimonial although I was at loads.

Like that, same here.

Phil MaGlass
17-04-2013, 08:07 PM
just tell her yir goin intae hospital firra life savin operation, and if we lose the final you will look like 5hit anyway and she will feel really sorry for yi after yir operation, problem solved.

NOLA
17-04-2013, 09:09 PM
100% GO. She will have plenty of other birthday's. As for the other parents, my kids go to parties all the time and unless its family I dont hang around. When my kids have a party its the mums who bring the other kids. Very rarely will a bloke rock up.
:agree: i take the kid to the party then make a sharp exit, a house full of excitable screaming kids isnt top of the pops :greengrin leave that carry on to the women.

givescotlandfreedom
18-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Your mind would at Hampden the whole time anyway. Load her up with toys and cake and she's not going to be worrying about who's there. We know the answer anyway, you asked this on Hibs.net not a parenting forum :greengrin

Geo_1875
18-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Buy your ticket and get up on Cup Final day, dress in your finest greenery and kiss the wife on the cheek as you leave the house. When she asks where you're going just ask if she's ****ing blind and stupid. :wink:

DH1875
18-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Put it this way. Are you not better off out the way instead off siting in front of the TV all day? Your mind wont be focused on the wee one and she'll be all excited and stuff. She'll be like daddy, daddy look what aunty so and so got me and you'll be like aye wait a minute pet as your watching Leigh run in on goal. Then you'll get all the feelings of guilt etc...and the Mrs will take the hump with you anyway. Best you go to the game. Not just for you but for everyone