PDA

View Full Version : New Striker

Billychaotic182
16-04-2013, 03:48 PM
With Leigh, Doyle and Kuji all leaving hibs in the summer who exactly will be playing upfront for us next season?
Give Handling and Caldwell a chance or will we bring someone in? And if so who? Who would you like to see lead the line for us next year?
Lyle Taylor is a name that keeps doing the rounds on twitter but I have no idea how reliable that is

PeterboroHibee
16-04-2013, 03:53 PM
We cant rely on Caldwell and Handling to replace Griffiths and Doyle. I imagine they will have more of a key role next season, but we still need another 2 guys in to replace Doyle and especially Griffiths.

The Sea-gull
16-04-2013, 03:57 PM
We cant rely on Caldwell and Handling to replace Griffiths and Doyle. I imagine they will have more of a key role next season, but we still need another 2 guys in to replace Doyle and especially Griffiths.

:agree:

Every team needs at least four strikers in their squad. Two main ones and two to back up. Handling and Caldwell perhaps deserve a chance to be the two back ups and will probably get their chance as much due to budget as anything else but we'll need to sign two new main ones to replace Doyle and Griffiths. No idea who though. That's Pat Fenlon's job and lets hope he makes a better fist of it than his signing of Kuqi.

eastmainsmsh
16-04-2013, 04:00 PM
sidibie from stoke lol

Liams
16-04-2013, 04:06 PM
It will be a hard job for PF.. Howdo you replace a player that gives 100% and can score 25 goals(hopefuly 30 by the end of the season) playing a lone striker wothout much support from MF? I know John Daly is out of contract, but is he off to sevco? As he could a decent player we could afford, i wouldnt mind dipping into div1 but as we see with cairny i dont think they have enough metaldrive/stamina for the spl

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Goodwillie or Rooney on loan and snap up Lyle Taylor from Falkrik on 2/3 year deal?

Billy Whizz
16-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if Pressly was lining up Taylor to take him to Coventry

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-04-2013, 04:12 PM

This.

KanyeWestLower
16-04-2013, 04:13 PM

Are Coventry not skint?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-04-2013, 04:14 PM
We definitely need to sign a prolific goalscorer or two, none of this irish league nonsence! Higdon or Daly please.

Billy Whizz
16-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Are Coventry not skint?

The parent club are, but the football club aren't

KanyeWestLower
16-04-2013, 04:17 PM
The parent club are, but the football club aren't

Ah ok, cheers for clearing that up

Hibby Kay-Yay
16-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Clark from QotS has netted 35 so far this season. Might be worth a look?

Strikers are the more expensive part of the squad, think we'll see another loan deal from somewhere or perhaps a purchase from lower leagues/ Irish league.

Stringer
16-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Should try and sign one of these lads!

E.Goncalves

Lyle Taylor

James Dayton

Micheal Higdon

lord bunberry
16-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Clark from QotS has netted 35 so far this season. Might be worth a look?

Strikers are the more expensive part of the squad, think we'll see another loan deal from somewhere or perhaps a purchase from lower leagues/ Irish league.

I would sign Clark as well as the other boy from qos

Reaper
16-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Ive heard Higdons on his way and we're leading the race to sign Madden from Yeovil. Whether theres any truth in it I dont know but same source told me Craig had signed pre-contract two weeks before it was announced.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Ive heard Higdons on his way and we're leading the race to sign Madden from Yeovil. Whether theres any truth in it I dont know but same source told me Craig had signed pre-contract two weeks before it was announced.

Higdon on his way to us?

hibee-shtuggie
16-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Should try and sign one of these lads!

E.Goncalves

Lyle Taylor

James Dayton

Micheal Higdon

:bitchy:

DH1875
16-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Higdon is on a free so should suit us.

leithsansiro
16-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Goodwillie or Rooney on loan and snap up Lyle Taylor from Falkrik on 2/3 year deal?

In fairness, I'm not sure that Man Utd would be looking to send him out to get first team experience...:wink:

ancient hibee
16-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Just because the manager says so doesn't mean that Griffiths is going to be offered another year by Wolves.Could be just the opening shot in the hope of a reasonable transfer fee.

NOLA
16-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Enoch Showunmi and his cousin tam :agree: higginbotham from well, sutton from hertz.

leithsansiro
16-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Enoch Showunmi and his cousin tam :agree: higginbotham from well, sutton from hertz.

Would steer well clear of him! :fishin:

Up The Bracket
16-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Paddy Madden is a name I've heard mentioned, aswell as Taylor and Nicky Clark, would take either of them.

No chance of getting Higdon and an extremely slim chance of Daly turning down having wads of cash thrown at him at The Rangers.

TomoHFC
16-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Nicky Clark Lyle Taylor Paddy Madden or Lee Novak from Huddersfield

Aldo
16-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Higdon no1 target for me along with Nicky Clark and Carmichael from QOTS.

You never know we may get to keep Leigh (not).

Reaper
16-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Higdon on his way to us?

Yeah.

Reaper
16-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Paddy Madden is a name I've heard mentioned, aswell as Taylor and Nicky Clark, would take either of them.

No chance of getting Higdon and an extremely slim chance of Daly turning down having wads of cash thrown at him at The Rangers.

Why no chance of getting Higdon u think?

madabouthibs
16-04-2013, 08:54 PM
Our chances of signing someone decent have multiplied greatly because we're now in Europe I reckon.
A wee Scottish Cup win would really boost ST sales too.
Players like Higdon and Daly might not be as far out of reach as we think. :wink:

silverhibee
16-04-2013, 09:11 PM
Yeah.

Happy with that if it is true.

We would need to sign wingers as well though to get crosses in to him :greengrin

silverhibee
16-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Our chances of signing someone decent have multiplied greatly because we're now in Europe I reckon.
A wee Scottish Cup win would really boost ST sales too.
Players like Higdon and Daly might not be as far out of reach as we think. :wink:

Daly is hun bound.

Benny Brazil
16-04-2013, 09:21 PM
Was my first view of Taylor on Sat and I would definitely take him at ER.

E10 Rifle
16-04-2013, 10:14 PM
Kenny Miller will play alongside one of the young lads previously mentioned

Scouse Hibee
16-04-2013, 10:18 PM
About time we linked up with a premiership club and got a couple of season long loans of their young stars.

Up The Bracket
16-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Why no chance of getting Higdon u think?

He'll have better offers down south I'd imagine. I can't ever remember signing a player like Higdon from another SPL team. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong here because he's a cracking player though.

HibeeMG
16-04-2013, 10:59 PM
A name not mentioned much is Stevie May from St Johnstone (currently on loan at Hamilton).

He's scored 21 goals this season and just bagged 2 hat-tricks in a week.

I've seen him twice this season and both times his hold-up play and movement have been excellent. He's a player I would really like to see at Hibs.

easty
16-04-2013, 11:00 PM
He'll have better offers down south I'd imagine. I can't ever remember signing a player like Higdon from another SPL team. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong here because he's a cracking player though.

Nish....:rolleyes:

Reaper
16-04-2013, 11:01 PM

Maybe but he left St Mirren to plq

SteveHFC
16-04-2013, 11:03 PM
Daffy Duck expresses his opinion on Michael Higdon playing for Hibs next season

http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/KF/2010/06/23/gif_daffy_300.gif

Reaper
16-04-2013, 11:04 PM

Maybe but he left St Mirren to play down south and ended up at Well ( I suppose its south of Paisley). The guy that told me said Bristol City showed an interest but there offer was only if they stayed up and Crawley were sniffing but have signed someone else????. If Crawley are in then we wont be able to match their wage offer I wouldnt think but it seems hes not inundated with offers.

KWJ
17-04-2013, 12:14 AM
Somebody like Higdon or Daly would be ideal for replacing Griffiths. Not like-for-like by any means but they'd be first pick and would help bring on our own youngsters who I'd rather see given a crack and allowed to improve rather than bringing in young kids on loan from other teams. It's more often than not that you bring in a Pinau or Aird rather than a Stokes on this kind of deal.

And then we could take a chance on somebody like Madden or Clark to replace Doyle but I don't think it's crucial, it'd also be rather handy to leave a space in the squad incase we can get Sparky back a little further down the line. It'd be horrible if he became available at the end of August or January and we couldn't afford him.

There's Kuqi as well but Tam McCourt could cover his responsibilities along with his own.

lord bunberry
17-04-2013, 12:23 AM
I can't stand higdon and I hope we don't sign him

ahibby
17-04-2013, 08:38 AM
I can't stand higdon and I hope we don't sign him

I like Taylor's speed up front and his control but his finishing against us wasn't great. He had two one on ones with our keeper and didn't score. However I'd still have him and work on that. Higdon can be hot and cold, suppose all players can, but as things stand he wouldn't be a bad signing. Defo need two though if LG goes back.

1875er
17-04-2013, 08:44 AM
I like Taylor's speed up front and his control but his finishing against us wasn't great. He had two one on ones with our keeper and didn't score. However I'd still have him and work on that. Higdon can be hot and cold, suppose all players can, but as things stand he wouldn't be a bad signing. Defo need two though if LG goes back.

This. I would take Taylor in a heartbeat, OK he missed a couple of good chances but as the old adage goes he was in the position to miss them. 27 goals in any league is good going, and he is still young.

Andy74
17-04-2013, 08:48 AM
I know we have a lot of goals to replace but I think with any other striker we'd see the goals shared a bit more. With Griffiths around you know that he's not really going to bring others in to it but he will get you golas from nothing.

That doesn't give the midfield any chance to get forward with much possibility of getting the ball.

We've a number of teams above who don't have Leigh Griffiths.

Beefster
17-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Just because the manager says so doesn't mean that Griffiths is going to be offered another year by Wolves.Could be just the opening shot in the hope of a reasonable transfer fee.

If Griffiths isn't offered another year by Wolves, no transfer fee will be needed.

Big Sexy Dave
17-04-2013, 09:07 AM
I thought Higdon said he wanted to sign a contract with Motherwell.

Big Sexy Dave
17-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Daffy Duck expresses his opinion on Michael Higdon playing for Hibs next season

http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/KF/2010/06/23/gif_daffy_300.gif
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mac3x3mzkj1ruj2iwo1_400.gif
That's mine, sadly it won't happen.

J-C
17-04-2013, 09:12 AM
If Griffiths isn't offered another year by Wolves, no transfer fee will be needed.

Yep, his contract is up this year unless Wolves decide to take up the extra year option on him, if they don't he can talk to anyone.

On a side note, McGivern's contract is up this year too, I picked up his mate from the airport a few weeks ago, when he came over to watch him play. He told me his contract was up in the summer, so don't know the situation there, big problem I can see is he said Ryan is a big Rangers fan, that could scupper any possible deal.

number9dream
17-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Daly & Clark could be the Rangers front two next season if Sally stays on at Ibrox, which is looking more likely now Chuck Green is in the doghouse.
Daly was bloody brilliant against Celtic at Hampden. He has no pace but is fantastic in the air and has a great knack of getting in front of defenders at just the right time.
Clark is nippy and has been banging them in for fun, although largely against part-time defences. His dad might just steer him in the direction of Govan.

Taylor is a bit raw, which we saw last Saturday. A friend who watches a lot of First Division football likened him to Gregory Tade and I'm not so sure that was meant as a compliment...

I'd like to see Handling given a run up top beside Griffiths or should Pat be working on re-establishing the Doyle/Griffiths partnership with the final in mind?

Bukta#8
17-04-2013, 10:02 AM
Would love to see 3 new strikers coming in each with a slightly different style and around 24/25
It's a must that we get them in the 1st day of pre season and not the night before pur Euro campaign

silverhibee
17-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Yep, his contract is up this year unless Wolves decide to take up the extra year option on him, if they don't he can talk to anyone.

On a side note, McGivern's contract is up this year too, I picked up his mate from the airport a few weeks ago, when he came over to watch him play. He told me his contract was up in the summer, so don't know the situation there, big problem I can see is he said Ryan is a big Rangers fan, that could scupper any possible deal.

Even if Wolves don't want to keep Sparky next season they will still activate the extra year and put him up for sale to recoup the wages they have payed out on him, just found this, http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wolverhampton-wanderers-dean-saunders-admits-2635602

I think that rules out Leigh playing football at ER next season.

ancient hibee
17-04-2013, 04:13 PM

All they have to do is give him the extra year and then try to sell him.

Billy Whizz
17-04-2013, 04:16 PM
All they have to do is give him the extra year and then try to sell him.

Usually an extension by player or club is triggered by no of games etc. I wonder what will trigger his extension at Wolves?

silverhibee
17-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Usually an extension by player or club is triggered by no of games etc. I wonder what will trigger his extension at Wolves?

Don't think so.

Billy Whizz
17-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Don't think so.

Mcpake's contract is based on this. He's got a 2 year deal with a 1 year option if he plays 30 games per season. Allan Preston said this at the time of his signing

BOB MARLEYS DUG
17-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Really not sure who could be playing up front for us next season :dunno:

cabbageandribs1875
17-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Kenny Miller will play alongside one of the young lads previously mentioned

not a bad shout imo, whoever we get in is going to have to be very mobile(if PF is gonna continue with his 4-5-1) kenny miller fits that bill,sparky is a unique player(imo) and it will be tough for whoever PF brings in to replace the wee man :agree:

assuming the wee man is off that is

FromTheCapital
17-04-2013, 05:53 PM
I'd take Lyle Taylor. Looks like he's got bags of pace and 27 goals this season is definitely not bad at all... Why not offer a pre-contract to Jon Daly? Can't imagine he'd be on too much at United? It's about time we got our finger out and started competing in the financial market again.

Up The Bracket
17-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Nish....:rolleyes:

Nish hadn't scored 22 goals in the previous season.....:rolleyes:

hibeequinn
17-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Paul Heffernan, Lyle Taylor, Michael higdon, Jon daly any one of those please.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

WeAreHibs
17-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Nicky Clark Lyle Taylor Paddy Madden or Lee Novak from Huddersfield

Isn't he a past it hairdresser?

http://www.ukhairdressers.com/magic_makeover/nicki%20clarke/Nicky%20Clarke%20prefered%20image.JPG

BOB MARLEYS DUG
17-04-2013, 06:52 PM
I'd take Lee Novak!

Beefster
18-04-2013, 05:52 AM
Get Deek Riordan back. We should never have let him go.

JimBHibees
18-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Daly & Clark could be the Rangers front two next season if Sally stays on at Ibrox, which is looking more likely now Chuck Green is in the doghouse.
Daly was bloody brilliant against Celtic at Hampden. He has no pace but is fantastic in the air and has a great knack of getting in front of defenders at just the right time.
Clark is nippy and has been banging them in for fun, although largely against part-time defences. His dad might just steer him in the direction of Govan.

Taylor is a bit raw, which we saw last Saturday. A friend who watches a lot of First Division football likened him to Gregory Tade and I'm not so sure that was meant as a compliment...

I'd like to see Handling given a run up top beside Griffiths or should Pat be working on re-establishing the Doyle/Griffiths partnership with the final in mind?

I thought he looked 3 times the player of Tade however it is the only time I have seen him but was impressed by his strength, movement and touch on the ball in bringing others into the game.

hibsdaft70
18-04-2013, 12:26 PM
What about Rory McAllister at Peterhead? Scored 26 from 36 last season and 44 from 76 over 2 seasons at Brechin. I know it's a lower lever but look where Griffiths came from?

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Even if Wolves don't want to keep Sparky next season they will still activate the extra year and put him up for sale to recoup the wages they have payed out on him.

I agree SH, I fail to see how people dinnae realise this.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-04-2013, 12:29 PM
Heffernan from Killie would do me, maybe a bit injury prone though.

Reverend Green
18-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Take small a risk and sign Nicky Clark & Lyle Taylor, both of their contracts are up in May. Both would be on cheap contracts I imagine. Maybe bring someone else in on loan in case they do flop.

ancient hibee
18-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Mcpake's contract is based on this. He's got a 2 year deal with a 1 year option if he plays 30 games per season. Allan Preston said this at the time of his signing

That's because of his suspect fitness.

Part/Time Supporter
18-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Stevie May, out of contract and seemingly out of favour at St Johnstone, has scored 20+ goals for Accies this year. Would cost a development fee to Saints though (if they ever get round to offering him a contract).

Tha Cabbage Kid
18-04-2013, 09:27 PM
we could sign a whole new team and it still wouldn't replace sparky

NAE NOOKIE
18-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Not sure what the score is with David Goodwillie at the moment, but he doesnt seem to be getting a look in at Blackburn. Always rated him and would love to see him on loan at ER.

Daly is a good player, but at the erse end of his career and will take the newco bucks.

Higdon has scored a pile this season, but not too sure about him ... I read somewhere he would be willing to sign a new contract at Well so should be within our budget if that is true.

Somebody mentioned the allure of the fact that we will be in Europe ...... Not sure the attraction of one Europa league tie will be enough to attract better than average players :greengrin

Anyway ..... I'm stumped.

leither17
19-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Higdon just scored a belter

Billychaotic182
19-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Wonder if Riordan could come back and do a job?

chrisski33
19-04-2013, 08:06 PM

Here we go Again! theres a thread re riordan already. No he wouldnt do it again hes had his chance twice and he hasnt done anything when at st johnstone or bristol

Up The Bracket
19-04-2013, 08:08 PM

I do hope you're at the wind up

West hamBERNIAN
19-04-2013, 08:13 PM
bring back riordan

West hamBERNIAN
19-04-2013, 08:19 PM
dont care what anyone says about what hes done or more importantly not done elsewhere, he'd only be on a squad player wage and if used as a striker he'd score goals for hibs. he's hibs through and through. record goalscorer and proven finisher, what can we lose

West hamBERNIAN
19-04-2013, 08:20 PM
dont care what anyone says about what hes done or more importantly not done elsewhere, he'd only be on a squad player wage and if used as a striker he'd score goals for hibs. he's hibs through and through. record goalscorer and proven finisher, what can we lose

:top marks

Up The Bracket
19-04-2013, 08:22 PM

Money.

Wages on a player that was released by Bristol Rovers, a team mid-table in league 2 would be spent better elsewhere. I really like the guy, he's been a great servant to the club, Hibee through and through, but he's not good enough for the SPL anymore I'm afraid.

LeighLoyal
19-04-2013, 08:22 PM
I'd bring Deek and GOC back, give them a chance. I'd also get in the Falkirk lad.

chrisski33
19-04-2013, 09:06 PM
I'd bring Deek and GOC back, give them a chance. I'd also get in the Falkirk lad.

LOL ur funny!

Pat 0-7
19-04-2013, 09:46 PM

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/1302733878503.gif

TomoHFC
19-04-2013, 09:52 PM
There's no point bringing O'Connor and Riordan back there finished.

FranckSuzy
19-04-2013, 09:52 PM

Why are you giving your own post :top marks? :confused:

West hamBERNIAN
19-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Why are you giving your own post :top marks? :confused:

Because I read it back and it was a bloody good read!

West hamBERNIAN
19-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Because I read it back and it was a bloody good read!

West hamBERNIAN
19-04-2013, 10:15 PM
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/1302733878503.gif

As would I, fenlon out Falkirk hibby in!!!