PDA

View Full Version : Wolves want Leigh back

neil7908
15-04-2013, 11:05 PM
According to story in The Scotsman Dean Saunders wants to exercise the 1 year option on his contract. Not sure how much choice Griffiths has in the matter but doesn't look good...

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/wolverhampton-wanderers-want-leigh-griffiths-back-1-2896794

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-04-2013, 11:13 PM
Anybody that thinks he'll be at ER next season is kidding themselves. Lets hope he leaves on a high at the end of next month.

Liam89
15-04-2013, 11:13 PM
Why didn't we just buy him when we had the chance...:rolleyes:
Bye Leigh!

snooky
15-04-2013, 11:14 PM
According to story in The Scotsman Dean Saunders wants to exercise the 1 year option on his contract. Not sure how much choice Griffiths has in the matter but doesn't look good...

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/wolverhampton-wanderers-want-leigh-griffiths-back-1-2896794

I'd rather he went back there than move to Parkhead as a possible replacement for Hooper.
If he keeps scoring goals like he's been doing there'll be more teams than Wolves or Celtc to worry about.

hibee19
15-04-2013, 11:15 PM

Wolves are 2nd bottom. If they get relegated hopefully Leigh will have a chance to get out of his contract, and Dean Saunders may not be the manager by the end of the season.

essexhibee
15-04-2013, 11:15 PM
:boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo:

Can't he tell them to **** off :boo hoo:

SteveHFC
15-04-2013, 11:16 PM
No Leigh

No Doyle

No Kuqi

http://static.uglyhedgehog.com/upload/2012/6/4/thumb-1338858139903-daffy_duck_upset_pointing_finger.jpg

Sir David Gray
15-04-2013, 11:16 PM
Anybody that thinks he'll be at ER next season is kidding themselves. Lets hope he leaves on a high at the end of next month.

Yep. What a send off that would be for him to score the winning goal in the Scottish Cup final! :pray:

neil7908
15-04-2013, 11:19 PM
Does anyone know how the 1 year option works? Can Leigh simply refuse or is it a case that it's in his current contract and he has no choice? It certainly sounds from the way Saunders is talking that is a decision Wolves can make without Leighs consent

neil7908
15-04-2013, 11:23 PM
No Leigh

No Doyle

No Kuqi

http://static.uglyhedgehog.com/upload/2012/6/4/thumb-1338858139903-daffy_duck_upset_pointing_finger.jpg

Good point, although I think it's safe to say Kuqi won't be missed too much it looks like we won't have a single senior forward on the books come the summer. Big rebuilding job in the summer considering your looking at bringing in 3 strikers plus replacing a number of players who are out of contract or who's loans are ending.

Sir David Gray
15-04-2013, 11:23 PM
Does anyone know how the 1 year option works? Can Leigh simply refuse or is it a case that it's in his current contract and he has no choice? It certainly sounds from the way Saunders is talking that is a decision Wolves can make without Leighs consent

They'll have the option of extending his contract by another year, if they wish to do so.

It would have been agreed with Griffiths' team at the time of signing the contract so he probably won't have much of a say.

He could make things quite difficult though, if he really doesn't want to go back there.

I'm not certain that he will be at Wolves next year to be honest but I definitely don't see him being with us.

Would love to be proved wrong on that point but I can't see it happening.

Heisenberg
15-04-2013, 11:34 PM
No chance we'll keep him. He's really got himself noticed this season and I'd suggest we enjoy it while it lasts. Most talented player we've had for many a year IMO. Hope he gets the perfect end to his Hibs career on the 26th May.

neil7908
15-04-2013, 11:35 PM
They'll have the option of extending his contract by another year, if they wish to do so.

It would have been agreed with Griffiths' team at the time of signing the contract so he probably won't have much of a say.

He could make things quite difficult though, if he really doesn't want to go back there.

I'm not certain that he will be at Wolves next year to be honest but I definitely don't see him being with us.

Would love to be proved wrong on that point but I can't see it happening.

Yeah, can't see him at Wolves next season either, always thought he was unlikely to stay with us but held out some hope. Can see Wolves invoking his extension then promptly selling him on for a tidy profit on their initial investment if he really doesn't want to stay

Peevemor
16-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Bye Leigh!

When did we have the chance - or when did we have the money to have a chance?

Hibercelona
16-04-2013, 02:27 AM
When did we have the chance - or when did we have the money to have a chance?

We did have the chance to buy him.

Instead, we signed Kuqi......

Lucius Apuleius
16-04-2013, 04:59 AM

What was Wolves' asking price?

jodjam
16-04-2013, 05:04 AM
What was Wolves' asking price?

It will be the mythical 150k that gets trotted out when folk want to put the boot into hibs.

Lucius Apuleius
16-04-2013, 05:45 AM
It will be the mythical 150k that gets trotted out when folk want to put the boot into hibs.

That is my thought as well. Would like to see it written somewhere, apart from Hibs.net that is :wink:

Peevemor
16-04-2013, 05:55 AM

That is my thought as well. Would like to see it written somewhere, apart from Hibs.net that is :wink:

The £150k figure may well be true. Combine that with the wages he's likely to be looking for and he ends up being well out of our price bracket.

marinello59
16-04-2013, 06:07 AM
The £150k figure may well be true. Combine that with the wages he's likely to be looking for and he ends up being well out of our price bracket.

Exactly. It has always been a case of enjoy it while you can with Griffiths.

Lucius Apuleius
16-04-2013, 06:10 AM

Could be Peeve. Never seen it written anywhere. Agree with the rest regarding wages, however it will certainly become another .net FACT. END OF. that we signed Kuqi instead.

:agree:

cocopops1875
16-04-2013, 06:18 AM

Were we getting Leigh on a free ?

PeterboroHibee
16-04-2013, 06:18 AM
Weve had two good years out of Griffiths, and this year in particular he has been phenomenal. Its a shame he isnt our player as I think keeping him will be a real challenge, especially as he is on course for around 30 goals. Im delighted to have had him at the club for those two years though, and hes been one of the best (if not the best) strikers weve had in recent years.

If he does go back to Wolves good luck to him and I hope he actually gets a game. It will leave us a fairly big gap to fill but thats football. Lets hope if he does go its on a high!

.Sean.
16-04-2013, 06:22 AM
The option is useless if LG tells them he doesn't want to play for them, which I believe to be the case. Wolves are hardly going to keep an unhappy player on their books.

Gut feeling is he'll sign for Hibs.

cocopops1875
16-04-2013, 06:22 AM

Totally agree peevemor, always hoped we could maybe have done something to amp up an offer ( bigger sell on cut than the standard 10% or something) but the reality is Leigh deserves to be earning 6-10k a week ( in footballer terms ) and we can't touch that sadly

Onion
16-04-2013, 07:01 AM
Always going to move to bigger things at end of this season. Just glad we had him. Fully expect the weedgie media and Celtic themselves to start their Cup disruption tactics with noises about Leigh moving to Shellick at end of season. Almost guaranteed to happen.

Mikey
16-04-2013, 07:04 AM

That's exactly it. The opportunity never arose.

Brightside
16-04-2013, 07:07 AM
Was always only a loan deal. Hibs simply cannot afford players like Leigh. Get used to it as its not going to change. We also wont keep the talented youngsters that come through. They will continue to be sold in order to balance the books. Hopefully we can keep Harris for a few years - but he will be sold, of that there is no doubt.

Prawn Sandwich
16-04-2013, 07:07 AM
This could just be a negotiating tactic by Wolves. Griffiths just needs to say he does not want to play for Wolves or live in the midland. His agent will then look for a new club for him.

Hibs won't have money to buy him or indeed the money to compete with some of the wage offers he is going to receive.

I personally think he will end up at Celtic along with James McFadden.

3pm
16-04-2013, 07:12 AM
Good while it lasted.

He's made unbelievable progress this year. He was OK last year, nothing more.

I, among others, posted at the start of the year that I wasn't too fussed about him returning! Glad am not in charge! :o)

down-the-slope
16-04-2013, 07:12 AM
They might want him back now....but he might just take to being a Twitter Twit again....:devil:

Kaiser1962
16-04-2013, 07:14 AM
That's exactly it. The opportunity never arose.

My understanding was that the deal was pretty much done then Wolves sacked Solbakken and Saunders vetoed all deals that were not concluded so he could speak to the players involved and assess them between January and the end of the season.

Brightside
16-04-2013, 07:29 AM
The option is useless if LG tells them he doesn't want to play for them, which I believe to be the case. Wolves are hardly going to keep an unhappy player on their books.

100% will not happen. Hibs simply cannot afford the wages for a player like Leigh. We need to move on. Wolves will take him back then sell him ASAP.

gorgie greens
16-04-2013, 07:31 AM
Surely,you have got to speculate a bit,we must have made well over the mythical £150k figure with his goals against Killie alone,how much have we made on the back of 2 years of reaching the cup final,must be in 7 figures from the TV money alone,never mind merchandise sales or gate receipts or increased season ticket sales.im just talking about the extra profit we have made since we have had Griffiths at ER,and it reminds me of the old Tom Hart days,let's sign George Best and pay him £2000 per game if he plays,can't remember the figure but we played Partick n I'm sure there was over 26000 at ER,and that was the year we went down,so a little bit of vision please RP

scoopyboy
16-04-2013, 07:35 AM
I'll go against the vast majority on this thread, I think we have a chance of signing him.

neil7908
16-04-2013, 07:36 AM
Good while it lasted.

He's made unbelievable progress this year. He was OK last year, nothing more.

I, among others, posted at the start of the year that I wasn't too fussed about him returning! Glad am not in charge! :o)

I felt exactly the same, really wasn't that fussed about him staying at ER as I thought he was pretty average last season.

It's amazing how much him and Claros have come on compared to last season. Both vital players for us now and will be sad if, as expected both are not Hibs players next season

Brightside
16-04-2013, 07:36 AM
We can't afford his wages. He will get easily more than 5k elsewhere. No player is going to get that at Hibs. Unless of course 17000 people take up Season Tickets for next year? :wink:

Mikey
16-04-2013, 07:38 AM
Surely,you have got to speculate a bit,we must have made well over the mythical £150k figure with his goals against Killie alone,how much have we made on the back of 2 years of reaching the cup final,must be in 7 figures from the TV money alone,never mind merchandise sales or gate receipts or increased season ticket sales.im just talking about the extra profit we have made since we have had Griffiths at ER,and it reminds me of the old Tom Hart days,let's sign George Best and pay him £2000 per game if he plays,can't remember the figure but we played Partick n I'm sure there was over 26000 at ER,and that was the year we went down,so a little bit of vision please RP

2012 Accounts.........

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?250693-*****Accounts-to-31st-July-2012-See-Them-Here*****

2011 Accounts.........

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?219788-The-Accounts-To-31st-July-2011-See-Them-Here

Green Fish
16-04-2013, 08:00 AM
I'll go against the vast majority on this thread, I think we have a chance of signing him.
Hope you re right

Peevemor
16-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Hope you re right

Ditto

LeighLoyal
16-04-2013, 08:05 AM
Hope they go down.

Pretty Boy
16-04-2013, 08:09 AM

Me too.

If Leigh really, really wants to be here then we have a.chance.

Pat 0-7
16-04-2013, 08:19 AM

:pray:

We might need a combination of other things to go our way - Wolves going down, Hooper not getting a move away, other teams being scared off after his recent off the field headlines, but you never know.....

He has said he wants to be here, closer to his kids, and will still get a decent wage from us - it's not always all about the money is it???

Speedway
16-04-2013, 08:44 AM
This is how the media suck it's readership in.

Saunders said this in January. It's being published (or re-published) now to achieve the 'Oh no, jings, crivvens, typical Hibs, it never goes our way' set of emotions that we display all too willingly, all too frequently, to our own disadvantage.

I know, let's fret.

Billychaotic182
16-04-2013, 08:49 AM
Does Leigh not have a say in this?

heretoday
16-04-2013, 08:50 AM
He must be one of the most talked about strikers in the UK at the moment so you can't blame Wolves and others for sitting up and taking an interest.

And he'd be daft not to maximise his potential financially too. After all, he seems to have a number of mouths to feed!

It was fun while it lasted but that's just the way it goes with Hibs these days.

NOLA
16-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Wolves want money to redo their squad, bring back sparky then sell him knowing there is demand for 25goal strikers.

Andy74
16-04-2013, 08:52 AM

Not if Wolves take up the option. He already signed that contract.

JimBHibees
16-04-2013, 08:54 AM

They will take up the option then promptly sell him IMO.

ancienthibby
16-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Not if Wolves take up the option. He already signed that contract.

Contracts of all sorts are left unfulfilled every day of the week.

If LG really wants to play for Hibs next year and refuses to go to Wolves at the start of the next season, then Wolves will have a contract with little, and diminishing, value. They would want a quick settlement to get money in.

The big issue for LG is whether or not other influences, such as his agent, will turn him away from Hibs.

jdships
16-04-2013, 09:14 AM

If LG really wants to play for Hibs next year and refuses to go to Wolves at the start of the next season, then Wolves will have a contract with little, and diminishing, value. They would want a quick settlement to get money in.

The big issue for LG is whether or not other influences, such as his agent, will turn him away from Hibs.

Couple of years ago had a friend whose son was in the same position with an English L1 side
He , or his agent , negotiated a ' buy out' of his contract which was funded by the signing on fee he received from his new club .
Without knowing the details of LG's contract that is only speculation !!!:greengrin

CropleyWasGod
16-04-2013, 09:16 AM

Wolves would have a case for breach of contract, no?

JimBHibees
16-04-2013, 09:23 AM

I would say so especially if Wolves consider him an asset which they can either use or sell.

ancienthibby
16-04-2013, 10:07 AM

Indeed they would, but much money would they get out of Sparky?

If they held him to his contract and he refused to play, the players union and the EU would be on Wolves like a ton of bricks.

Incidentally, the Beeb has just reported that Richard Brittain no longer wants to join St Johnstone and has asked for his pre-contract agreement to be torn up!

A hint for Sparky there, perhaps?

Captain Trips
16-04-2013, 10:17 AM
LG after this term will IMO have the opportunity to gain himself a very tidy contract at a club, a contract Hibs will not be able to come close to matching and a contract LG will not be able to turn down, Wolves may look to cash in here.

If LG has matured as many state he isnt going to rock boat with Wolves simply to come back here, make no mistake LG is going to have some tasty offers on the table and he will have to seriously consider them as he might only get 1/2 really good contracts in career IMO LG will cash in now.

KeithTheHibby
16-04-2013, 10:32 AM
A lot of this will hinge on what division Wolves are in.

Stay in the championship and they may be happy to sell him, get relegated and they may have to empty the high earners therefore pushing Leigh higher up the pecking order.

To be fair by the time the summer comes he will have been here 2 years on loan, paying him a fraction of what his wages are.
We can't argue with that.

FWIW I don't think the wee man fancies going back down south.

.Sean.
16-04-2013, 10:44 AM
100% will not happen. Hibs simply cannot afford the wages for a player like Leigh. We need to move on. Wolves will take him back then sell him ASAP.

We'll see.

Jim44
16-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Griffiths presence at ER has made the last two years just about tolerable. Given the circumstances, we've little hope, and certainly little right to expect another year. Saunders is doing what any good manager would do and that is to cash in on an asset, whether that means persuading Griffiths to try to make the grade at Wolves or to get as much cash as possible for him. I think the best we can hope for is that he doesn't end up at Parkhead. Fenlon's number one priority will be to fill his shoes with a striker who is 70% as good as Griffiths.

thebakerboy
16-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Think that Leigh is quite likely to put 2 fingers up to any offer from Weegie land 'cause he is a Hibee through and through , and he will probably get offers at least as good financially from some top Championship teams.

RickyS
16-04-2013, 11:16 AM
We'll see.

SkySports reporting that Saunders says he will NOT be at Hibernian next season and they are keen to get him back there asap

EdinMike
16-04-2013, 11:22 AM
Next month’s Scottish Cup final is set to be Leigh Griffiths’ last game for Hibs after Wolves boss Dean Saunders revealed he intends to invoke a one-year option on the striker’s Molineux deal.

Griffiths took his goals tally for the season to 25 with a glory double, including an extra-time winner, as the Capital side produced an astonishing fightback from 3-0 down against First Division Falkirk to claim a place in the final for the second year running.

Although the 22-year-old is out of contract at the end of the season, Wolves hold an option to keep him for another year and Saunders revealed he’s been so impressed with Griffiths’ performances that he’ll be taking that up.

Saunders also disclosed he’d have already recalled Hibs-daft Griffiths from what, in effect, has been a two-year loan deal earlier this season, but was prevented from doing by transfer rules.

Aldo
16-04-2013, 11:24 AM
SkySports reporting that Saunders says he will NOT be at Hibernian next season and they are keen to get him back there asap

This was always going to be said... I really do hope PF has someone in mind and is ready to pounce. Me personally, I would try and get Higdon. 20 plus goals this season. Just what our attack needs.

And others obviously.

Jim44
16-04-2013, 11:32 AM
After the Falkirk game, the FF deluded ones were discussing the relative merits of Griffiths. A few of them condescendingly started to consider taking him to Ibrox next season but things were put in perspective by the comment:

"He was asked on Twitter at the start of the season if he would ever sign for us.

His reply was he would rather shower with his dad." :-)

Mikey_1875
16-04-2013, 11:51 AM
I also really hope we sign Leigh and it would be phenomenal if we did. But even with money issues aside we can look at how Leigh himself will view the situation. It seems to be a given thought with some that he wants to sign for Hibs. If I was Leigh, I would be thinking to myself I've scored 25-30 goals in Scotland for Hibs this year. Apart from a couple of superb cup runs we are still around 9th or 10th in the league, I've lived the dream and played for hibs, I've had two attempts at winning the scottish cup in a final (Hopefully one of those attempts successful.) He's really done all he can for us and in Scotland I'd be looking to give it another crack in England being a lot older and wiser and having a great chance of becoming a quality championship player.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-04-2013, 11:56 AM
I want him to stay just as much as the next hibbie, but we as fans cant do anything except hope. If he is unable to stay with us then, good luck sparky, go out with a bang and bring home the cup!

P.s thanks for the memories.

Andy74
16-04-2013, 11:57 AM

There's no danger he will breach his contract and doubt we'd be as to play him after he did.

HIBERNIAN-0762
16-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Bye Leigh!

We had the chance of course, he wants to stay I believe and if he goes then that will be another nail in Petrie's coffin as far as I'm concerned.

Leithenhibby
16-04-2013, 12:03 PM
We had the chance of course, he wants to stay I believe and if he goes then that will be another nail in Petrie's coffin as far as I'm concerned.

No we didn't ..............

It was never on the table and we just didn't have that option! :wink:

cocopops1875
16-04-2013, 12:04 PM

Did we really have the chance ? How does this have anything to do with Petrie ? More speculative nonsense

Speedy
16-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Next month’s Scottish Cup final is set to be Leigh Griffiths’ last game for Hibs after Wolves boss Dean Saunders revealed he intends to invoke a one-year option on the striker’s Molineux deal.

Griffiths took his goals tally for the season to 25 with a glory double, including an extra-time winner, as the Capital side produced an astonishing fightback from 3-0 down against First Division Falkirk to claim a place in the final for the second year running.

Although the 22-year-old is out of contract at the end of the season, Wolves hold an option to keep him for another year and Saunders revealed he’s been so impressed with Griffiths’ performances that he’ll be taking that up.

Saunders also disclosed he’d have already recalled Hibs-daft Griffiths from what, in effect, has been a two-year loan deal earlier this season, but was prevented from doing by transfer rules.

If we start a twitter campaign telling saunders to f off back to his own country do we get to keep Leigh?

Peevemor
16-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Did we really have the chance ? How does this have anything to do with Petrie ? More speculative nonsense

Just 'cos!

Leithenhibby
16-04-2013, 12:12 PM

Stringer
16-04-2013, 12:22 PM
We should try to get Esmael Goncalves on a permanent deal. Strength and pace.

Geo_1875
16-04-2013, 12:23 PM
I think Saunders will be lucky to have a job next season so I doubt he'll have a say in where Leigh will be playing.

Stevie Reid
16-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Given that Wolves are in the bottom 3 of the Championship and Leigh had yet another high profile performance at the weekend, the Wolves fans would be even more raging than they currently are if they didn't confirm that they want a striker who has scored 25 goals on loan (36 if you include last season) back.

We are paying part wages for a striker who has scored 36 goals in 67 starts for us. Great business by Hibs.

zosohibee
16-04-2013, 12:36 PM
The time between now and the start of next season will be crucial for Fenlon. He has lost Leigh, not much he can do about that, as long as he's in the final we have a chance. But without him the player to keep will be McGivern which i am all for, he'll need to bring in at least two strikers and, given the basically still weak team we have, a few others as well. Best case scenario he wins the SC this year which will give him some breathing room but he needs a better team because Hibs fans cant be satisfied with cups, given that weve reached these two finals the likelihood of a third is very slim so he's going to need to get us doing better in the league (granted it has been very tight this year but we have won 2 league games in the last 17, that's still ***** any way you slice it.) You can get bumped out the cup in one game so two losses and youre ****ed and left with a team not strong enough for a league campaign. Would love to see Hibs have a season where BOTH halves of the campaign are strong. I think (maybe just hope) fenlon has a long term plan, every player who signs for us has indicated that he has told them where he wants the club to be. I dont think Pat is the next Ferguson or anything like that, there is only so much a manager can do, As someone who took advantage of the payment plan to get a ST next year i'm hoping he comes good. Of course if he masterminds a 5-0 pumping of Celtic then he's gonna be the man forever, the 'Tache will probably want him knighted.

hibeedonald
16-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Have to laugh at Wolves manager. I reckon we would beat them or it would be close, they are terrible.
“Obviously he is playing a different level and I think we have strikers here who would do really well at that level, really, really well."
Griffiths scored the winner in a game which we deserved to win against a team who reached the last 16 champions league. Scottish football isn't great but it's not that bad. Even the Hearts team is the worst in years and they gave Liverpool a run for their money.

Peevemor
16-04-2013, 12:49 PM
I think Saunders will be lucky to have a job next season so I doubt he'll have a say in where Leigh will be playing.

Bit of a bold statement that! :tee hee:

HIBERNIAN-0762
16-04-2013, 01:04 PM

If memory serves me right Wolves wanted £150k for him but Petrie didn't budge, and how do YOU know it's speculative nonsense? do you work at ER?

TheFamous1875
16-04-2013, 01:05 PM
I'm no businessman, I don't know how these things work at all, but surely, a good bit of business for Hibs would be to push the boat out for Griffiths on a two year deal. It'll cost us, but surely we'd make it all back, plus MORE when we'd eventually sell him on? He's a million pound player at the LEAST.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

CropleyWasGod
16-04-2013, 01:07 PM
If memory serves me right Wolves wanted £150k for him but Petrie didn't budge, and how do YOU know it's speculative nonsense? do you work at ER?

The speculation, of course, was on here.

IIRC, the general view was that LG would've been taking a massive drop in wages to make the move.

TheFamous1875
16-04-2013, 01:09 PM
He can only get better in a (judging by Handling and ESPECIALLY Harris' performances at the weekend) improving Hibs team. Is this an option for our club? How no, likes?

Lucius Apuleius
16-04-2013, 01:10 PM

The way I look at it, it is speculative nonsense unless proven othwerwise.

Captain Trips
16-04-2013, 01:11 PM
The speculation, of course, was on here.

IIRC, the general view was that LG would've been taking a massive drop in wages to make the move.

Wolves want him back but I am pretty sure other clubs might put in an offer I would say if anything LG will be getting a higher wage on his next move unfortunatly that will rule us out unless LG is happy to play for us on our wage structure but in the wage structures LG may have been on he might be in with a shout of life changing wages for him.

I think he will think he has had his time at Hibs and maybe be back oneday but now is time to get a great contract.

CropleyWasGod
16-04-2013, 01:12 PM
He can only get better in a (judging by Handling and ESPECIALLY Harris' performances at the weekend) improving Hibs team. Is this an option for our club? How no, likes?

To be able to compete with the wages LG could get elsewhere, we'd have to break our wage structure. Then, you'd get other players coming to RP and saying "how can I no get that? I'm an important player in the team". Result = unhappy players/players wanting to move on. Not good.

TheFamous1875
16-04-2013, 01:19 PM
To be able to compete with the wages LG could get elsewhere, we'd have to break our wage structure. Then, you'd get other players coming to RP and saying "how can I no get that? I'm an important player in the team". Result = unhappy players/players wanting to move on. Not good.

I'm not suggesting we break it, I'm thinking more along the lines of stretching it, as we did with Riordan (if memory serves correct). I know there's no chance of us competing with down south money wise, but we can compete with the fact that we're his boyhood club, we have European football next season, a potential cup winners medal, potential LEGEND status to claim. He's playing the football of his life, his kids are here, he's young and can still improve, and the future could be very bright these next few years.

I think we have more pull than suggested, especially if we can push our small boat out for him also.

Onion
16-04-2013, 01:22 PM
There's no danger he will breach his contract and doubt we'd be as to play him after he did.

LG is volatile and capable of coming out with some outrageous, embarrassing stuff: the kind of stuff that would scare any club from signing him or extending his contract. Would wany him to do anything like that :wink:

cocopops1875
16-04-2013, 01:28 PM

Where was this reported ? Who put the figure £150k out there ? Did wolves offer Leigh to us for £150k ? If any of this is or was fact what were Leigh's terms ?

Captain Trips
16-04-2013, 01:31 PM
LG is volatile and capable of coming out with some outrageous, embarrassing stuff: the kind of stuff that would scare any club from signing him or extending his contract. Would wany him to do anything like that :wink:

I do not think that would bother any managers, they will believe they are getting a good player and will likely believe they can be the one to get him to settle.

SMAXXA
16-04-2013, 01:36 PM
For me Leigh can deal with this no problem if he doesn't want to go back. All he has to do is come out and publicly state that under no circumstances does he want to be a Wolves player next season and he has no interest in returning to them. That may force their hand and have them questioning why they would want an unhappy uncommitted player at their club?

cocopops1875
16-04-2013, 02:05 PM

Also while we are at it why would my place of work have anything to do with my right to believe you are speculating ?

16-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Couldn't see him staying past the end of this season anyway tbh, he's been outstanding this season, not only with the amount of goals he's scored but the sheer quality of them as well. It was inevitable that Wolves were going to want him back.

Sad to see him leave, absolutely amazing talent and a true hibee through and through. Lets just hope and pray that he leaves in the best possible manner, by winning us that cup :thumbsup: What a send off that would be!

All the best Leigh, thanks for everything!

NOLA
16-04-2013, 03:33 PM
If we start a twitter campaign telling saunders to f off back to his own country do we get to keep Leigh?
Ya clown

Sent from tapatalk thing

ancienthibby
16-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Couldn't see him staying past the end of this season anyway tbh, he's been outstanding this season, not only with the amount of goals he's scored but the sheer quality of them as well. It was inevitable that Wolves were going to want him back.

Sad to see him leave, absolutely amazing talent and a true hibee through and through. Lets just hope and pray that he leaves in the best possible manner, by winning us that cup :thumbsup: What a send off that would be!

All the best Leigh, thanks for everything!

Defeatist!

LG already has a somewhat large family for someone so young, and he makes it abundantly clear that his family is very important to him.

That could be definitive in staying at Hibs or leaving!

Remember, Wolves have no contract, if only one side wants it!!

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-04-2013, 03:58 PM
I expect Wolves to get relegated and Saunders to get emptied. While they may thought he wasn't up to the Championship, Sparky would be a stick out in league one and would be their best bet of bouncing straight back up.

silverhibee
16-04-2013, 04:11 PM

Well considering he is on 4k a week at Wolves, is he really going to take a huge wage cut to come to Hibs, no chance, he will either go back to Wolves or move on to another club at the end of the season, and it won't be Hibs.

MrRobot
16-04-2013, 04:13 PM

Leigh doesn't seem like the type that will care more about money than his career. I think we can afford to keep him, its just getting Wolves to allow it.

Not surprised he's wanted back there though.

Keith_M
16-04-2013, 04:16 PM

LG already has a somewhat large [number of families] for someone so young, and he makes it abundantly clear that his famil[ies are] very important to him.

Fixed that for you :wink:

silverhibee
16-04-2013, 04:19 PM

And what a joy it has been.

HIBERNIAN-0762
16-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Also while we are at it why would my place of work have anything to do with my right to believe you are speculating ?

Really couldn't give a flying one what you believe mate, we never took the chance to get him before Saunders took over, and that's not speculating is it?

CropleyWasGod
16-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Really couldn't give a flying one what you believe mate, we never took the chance to get him before Saunders took over, and that's not speculating is it?

It is.

Nobody on here knows that we had a chance.

Nobody on here knows that, if we did have a chance, we didn't take it.

Nobody on here knows that, if we did take the chance, we weren't knocked back.

All discussion on the above is speculation.

silverhibee
16-04-2013, 04:24 PM

Can he afford to take the wage cut Scoops.

silverhibee
16-04-2013, 04:26 PM
:pray:

We might need a combination of other things to go our way - Wolves going down, Hooper not getting a move away, other teams being scared off after his recent off the field headlines, but you never know.....

He has said he wants to be here, closer to his kids, and will still get a decent wage from us - it's not always all about the money is it???

He has to look after his ever growing family. :greengrin

ancienthibby
16-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Well considering he is on 4k a week at Wolves, is he really going to take a huge wage cut to come to Hibs, no chance, he will either go back to Wolves or move on to another club at the end of the season, and it won't be Hibs.

Are Hibs not in QR2 of the Europa League next season.

Home receipts are held.

Allow for expenses, and Hibs have 15k (lets hope!) at £20 a head and £250k is in the Bank.

Add to that at least £500k from the Cup final.

Changes the money dynamics a bit, don't you think?.:cb

CropleyWasGod
16-04-2013, 04:29 PM

Home receipts are held.

Allow for expenses, and Hibs have 15k (lets hope!) at £20 a head and £250k is in the Bank.

It does, but it also changes the perspective of every other player's agent.

silverhibee
16-04-2013, 04:32 PM

Yes.

As long as he has enough money to pay out the last year of his contract.

If not and he becomes difficult about things then he will sit in the stand at Wolves for the last year.

chrisski33
16-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Think that Leigh is quite likely to put 2 fingers up to any offer from Weegie land 'cause he is a Hibee through and through , and he will probably get offers at least as good financially from some top Championship teams.

Didnt stop deeks from signing for them though. Money talks so he'll go where the money is. Hopefully im wrong!

ancienthibby
16-04-2013, 04:38 PM
It does, but it also changes the perspective of every other player's agent.

No question. But see also (in another thread) what Richard Brittain has done today!

Of course that cannot continue without limit!:aok:

down-the-slope
16-04-2013, 04:43 PM

Home receipts are held.

:agree: means we just might prevent another massive 7 figure loss for 3rd year running

silverhibee
16-04-2013, 04:46 PM

Home receipts are held.

Will the rest of the team play for nothing. :cb

Hibeesforever
16-04-2013, 04:53 PM
It is.

Nobody on here knows that we had a chance.

Nobody on here knows that, if we did have a chance, we didn't take it.

Nobody on here knows that, if we did take the chance, we weren't knocked back.

All discussion on the above is speculation.

Correct but there is also the fact that if the current Chairman had backed his manager properly then Leigh could have been purchased, obviously for a price but everyone is always available, and he would now be a fully fledged Hibernian employee. His value has risen as we knew it was going to, so there was really little risk. Granted, though nobody could have foreseen his last Hampden goal, which incidentally, the commentator just said "wow" after! Point is the Chairman did not want to take a risk on investing in a player. We did it with Del a Cruz but not Leigh. Shame really but as is often pointed out we have a great training ground and stadium. Just a team that has to be rebuilt every other transfer window. Good strategy! If we win the cup then fair play to the chairman but what then ?

ancienthibby
16-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Will the rest of the team play for nothing. :cb

Maybe think about what you posted!

All other Hibs salary costs are covered by ongoing activities.

I was trying to suggest that 'beyond the budget' revenues could be substantially directed to securing LG for Hibs next year.

You might prefer to offer £50 as part of 5,000 season ticket holders each making a special contribution (totalling £250k) to keeping Sparky.

Between the two, problem solved!

CropleyWasGod
16-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Correct but there is also the fact that if the current Chairman had backed his manager properly then Leigh could have been purchased, obviously for a price but everyone is always available, and he would now be a fully fledged Hibernian employee. His value has risen as we knew it was going to, so there was really little risk. Granted, though nobody could have foreseen his last Hampden goal, which incidentally, the commentator just said "wow" after! Point is the Chairman did not want to take a risk on investing in a player. We did it with Del a Cruz but not Leigh. Shame really but as is often pointed out we have a great training ground and stadium. Just a team that has to be rebuilt every other transfer window. Good strategy! If we win the cup then fair play to the chairman but what then ?

Is that fact, or is it Hibs.net assumption?

Genuine question, as I don't know.

16-04-2013, 05:37 PM
He has to look after his ever growing family. :greengrin

We could offer him an unlimted supply of free condoms as part of a new contract :dunno::greengrin

Get it sorted Petrie!

silverhibee
16-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Maybe think about what you posted!

All other Hibs salary costs are covered by ongoing activities.

I was trying to suggest that 'beyond the budget' revenues could be substantially directed to securing LG for Hibs next year.

You might prefer to offer £50 as part of 5,000 season ticket holders each making a special contribution (totalling £250k) to keeping Sparky.

Between the two, problem solved!

As down-the-slope has said, the money we make from the final and Europa game will go to reducing our debt, simple as that, i have already said that Leigh is on 4kp/w at Wolves, now if he was to come to Hibs on a contract we would have to pay £1m+ just to get him, then 4k p/w for 3 seasons, never going to happen, Hibs don't have millions to spend on one player, and if(really really big IF) they did do that then every other player would have there agent knocking on Rods door for a wage increase.

So problem not solved.

I want LG here next season as well, but it just aint going to happen. :aok:

silverhibee
16-04-2013, 05:47 PM

You really do know it. :greengrin

LeighLoyal
16-04-2013, 05:50 PM
We need a few more tweets to Mr Iqbal.

CropleyWasGod
16-04-2013, 05:51 PM
We need a few more tweets to Mr Iqbal.

I nominate you for that job. :greengrin

mjhibby
16-04-2013, 05:54 PM
:agree: means we just might prevent another massive 7 figure loss for 3rd year running

I think youll find we will at least break even this season if not post a small profit.We have had three televised games in the scottish cup which have netted the club around £220,000 plus the crowds have been bigger in the cup this year.Also we are looking to have a total of around 15-20,000 more fans in total at er this season which amounts to another £300-400,000.Hopefully we finish 7th or 8th which would mean another £225,000 more there than last year.Lastly pat slashed the playing squad and probably reduced the spend by around £200,000.That all equates to us at least breaking even and hopefully means pat can sign a few players on permanent contracts and not get loads more loans in.

LeighLoyal
16-04-2013, 05:57 PM
I nominate you for that job. :greengrin

Always happy to help out for a good cause :greengrin

ancienthibby
16-04-2013, 06:06 PM
As down-the-slope has said, the money we make from the final and Europa game will go to reducing our debt, simple as that, i have already said that Leigh is on 4kp/w at Wolves, now if he was to come to Hibs on a contract we would have to pay £1m+ just to get him, then 4k p/w for 3 seasons, never going to happen, Hibs don't have millions to spend on one player, and if(really really big IF) they did do that then every other player would have there agent knocking on Rods door for a wage increase.

So problem not solved.

I want LG here next season as well, but it just aint going to happen. :aok:

I agree with you and Mr Slopey that monies from the Cup Final run will go to reducing the debt.

However, monies from next season are a new thing and I would hope the Europa QR2 monies will be directed to next season's activities of which they are a part.

On the highlighted part, I have posted elsewhere that I think this is a false assumption, if LG makes it clear that he wants to stay with Hibs - all the family ties in play here, then the value of his contact to Wolves is much diminished. No other team can deal with him until this is sorted.

If LG does a Richard Brittain, then the cat will surely be amongst the pigeons!!:agree:

snooky
16-04-2013, 06:15 PM

For any other poster I would have put :faf: but given Scoopyboy's previous record, it's a :aok: from me.

Hibeesforever
16-04-2013, 06:27 PM

I think it is a clear fact that if Hibernian had purchased Leigh, either during or at the start of the season for any sort of figure, the resale value today for a striker who had just won a Scottish Cup semi final and was clearly going to embark upon a very successful Scotland career, would have been money well spent and sound business. Granted, as a previous poster said, £1 million does seem like a lot of money to invest but can I just point out that a previous Hibernian centre forward was sold to Sunderland for a figure of over £10 million. Who do you think is the better finisher, Leigh Griffiths or Steven Fletcher ? Leigh is already a legend but I blame the Chairman for not taking what was really a small footballing risk. Imagine Leigh getting good service each week, how many goals would he then score. You never know though, Mr Petrie might pull something out of the hat, I do not know anymore than you but I am confident that he is trying. The purchase of as many season tickets as possible would help him to try harder.:flag:

snooky
16-04-2013, 06:32 PM
I think it is a clear fact that if Hibernian had purchased Leigh, either during or at the start of the season for any sort of figure, the resale value today for a striker who had just won a Scottish Cup semi final and was clearly going to embark upon a very successful Scotland career, would have been money well spent and sound business. Granted, as a previous poster said, £1 million does seem like a lot of money to invest but can I just point out that a previous Hibernian centre forward was sold to Sunderland for a figure of over £10 million. Who do you think is the better finisher, Leigh Griffiths or Steven Fletcher ? Leigh is already a legend but I blame the Chairman for not taking what was really a small footballing risk. Imagine Leigh getting good service each week, how many goals would he then score. You never know though, Mr Petrie might pull something out of the hat, I do not know anymore than you but I am confident that he is trying. The purchase of as many season tickets as possible would help him to try harder.:flag:

I agree :agree: :wink:

CropleyWasGod
16-04-2013, 06:33 PM

My point was that few on here, if anybody, knows whether it is a "fact" that RP didn't "back the manager" as you put it.

The question of LG v SF is another issue.... that's a ten-pager in itself.

As is your contention that LG is "clearly going to embark upon a very successful Scotland career". :wink:

wheniwas5
16-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Someone may be able to confirm this but im positive Leigh was at hibs when he was younger
and our current head of youth Bill Hendry released him.
So rather than worrying about how much wolves want for him ect ect
maybe we should be asking the question of why he was released??
Maybe too small like the young lad he released who,s at livvy??

Lago
16-04-2013, 06:38 PM
For any other poster I would have put :faf: but given Scoopyboy's previous record, it's a :aok: from me.
Really can't see him staying. He's been at ER for 2 seasons which now a days is pretty standard for most players now, and then they move on.
Money Is going to be tight next season in Scottish football and L.G. Has played himself into higher league than Hibs will be playing in. I really hope I'm wrong

LeighLoyal
16-04-2013, 06:39 PM
He's only worth what somebodies willing to pay and I'd be amazed if anybody shelled out £1m. He's not going to the EPL, no chance, so it would have to be a championship outfit and I doubt any would pay it. Bear in mind, Antony Stokes failed to shine in League One before he came to us, Riordan couldn't even do it in League Two after scoring for us the year before. Fletcher scores in EPL, different ball game altogether. I'd say 400k would be a good investment and I'm pretty sure League One Wolves will bite for that.

NOLA
16-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Someone may be able to confirm this but im positive Leigh was at hibs when he was younger
and our current head of youth Bill Hendry released him.
So rather than worrying about how much wolves want for him ect ect
maybe we should be asking the question of why he was released??
Maybe too small like the young lad he released who,s at livvy??
Did hibs not release him because he was a Cheeky wee sheidt who kept getting into trouble? ;)

Sent from my Tap

wheniwas5
16-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Did hibs not release him because he was a Cheeky wee sheidt who kept getting into trouble? ;)

Sent from my Tap

not sure the reason but only thing thats changed is hes scoring goals now:greengrin:greengrin

lord bunberry
16-04-2013, 07:05 PM
I've just been reading one of the wolves forums, they have got a 5 page thread on griffiths. It starts after his hat trick at killie, there's a few of them still don't want him back but the further you get the more of them want him back

Billy Whizz
16-04-2013, 07:06 PM
I've just been reading one of the wolves forums, they have got a 5 page thread on griffiths. It starts after his hat trick at killie, there's a few of them still don't want him back but the further you get the more of them want him back

Why do some of them not want him back?

lord bunberry
16-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Why do some of them not want him back?

They think he has got a bad attitude, some of the comments made about him are pretty harsh

CropleyWasGod
16-04-2013, 07:19 PM
I agree with you and Mr Slopey that monies from the Cup Final run will go to reducing the debt.

However, monies from next season are a new thing and I would hope the Europa QR2 monies will be directed to next season's activities of which they are a part.

On the highlighted part, I have posted elsewhere that I think this is a false assumption, if LG makes it clear that he wants to stay with Hibs - all the family ties in play here, then the value of his contact to Wolves is much diminished. No other team can deal with him until this is sorted.

If LG does a Richard Brittain, then the cat will surely be amongst the pigeons!!:agree:

Aren't the two situations different?

LG has a contract with Wolves. RB is under contract to Ross County, with an agreement to enter into one with St. J.

WhileTheChief..
16-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Stuff the Wolves fans, they ain't gonna see him play again unless they come to watch us. Griffiths will be still be here next season :)

jdships
16-04-2013, 07:27 PM

All supposition on your part unfortunately , unless you are a member of Hibernian FC Board of Directors.:wink::greengrin:wink:
Came out of 'Greggs' probably

brog
16-04-2013, 09:13 PM
Sorry if I'm repeating, didn't have time to read 5 pages but Wolves in Div 1 may not be a particularly attractive option. I was also a tad miffed at Saunders patronising comments about playing at a different level. I see a lot of Championship football & some of it can be pretty dire & there's no doubt Div 1 is below SPL standard, ask Clayton Donaldson! At the end of the day most of the power is now with the players & if Leigh doesn't want to return to Wolves, & why would he, then basically there's not a lot they can do about it. He may not end up at ER but I would say there's less chance of him being at Wolves next year.

Eyrie
16-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Griffiths is under contract to Wolves. They're not going to let him walk for nothing, even if he is unhappy. And if he attempts to hold out then they can fine him his wages, denying him any income.

We really need Wolves to stay up. If they go down to Division One then they need Griffiths as a goal scorer, or alternatively will want to cash in on him which is money we don’t have. If they do stay up then there is a chance that they will buy a couple of experienced strikers and we may be able to get him using one of Petrie’s “sell on” clauses. We could still be outbid, but I’d think that is our best chance.

cocopops1875
16-04-2013, 09:51 PM

Again what chance ? Did we have a chance ? can you post any actual links from credible sources ? All you do is dodge questions and present everything you say as fact, all I'm asking is for any shred of evidence for your speculation that Leigh was offered to us for a set ( and disclosed ) fee ?

eastmainsmsh
18-04-2013, 08:18 PM
did we recieve any add ons from wolves via fletcher deal when he moved to sunderland if not then hope rodders can come up with a deal to keep sparky

Captain Trips
18-04-2013, 08:27 PM
Griffiths is under contract to Wolves. They're not going to let him walk for nothing, even if he is unhappy. And if he attempts to hold out then they can fine him his wages, denying him any income.

We really need Wolves to stay up. If they go down to Division One then they need Griffiths as a goal scorer, or alternatively will want to cash in on him which is money we don’t have. If they do stay up then there is a chance that they will buy a couple of experienced strikers and we may be able to get him using one of Petrie’s “sell on” clauses. We could still be outbid, but I’d think that is our best chance.

I do not think his transfer fee even with a sell on is the issue. I think Wolves will be offered a fee for Leigh in summer by another club and Leigh will have chance to get a move on a better contract than he is on now and probably well out our league and maybe life changing not 20 or 30k but pushing towrds 5 figures per week.

I think Leigh will accept he has had 2 seasons here but its time to see whats on offer financially now elsewhere after a good season his stock might never be this high again and he will be advised if the chance arises to cash in and to be honest I cant blame him.

cocopops1875
18-04-2013, 08:37 PM
I do not think his transfer fee even with a sell on is the issue. I think Wolves will be offered a fee for Leigh in summer by another club and Leigh will have chance to get a move on a better contract than he is on now and probably well out our league and maybe life changing not 20 or 30k but pushing towrds 5 figures per week.

I think Leigh will accept he has had 2 seasons here but its time to see whats on offer financially now elsewhere after a good season his stock might never be this high again and he will be advised if the chance arises to cash in and to be honest I cant blame him.

This is pretty much it :agree: He has scored 25 goals and sadly for us plenty clubs will fancy some of that and i would imagine at best (and i mean very best with some very creative number crunching) we could maybe offer 6k a week, 6k a week wont touch whats on offer elsewhere :agree:

Mikey
18-04-2013, 08:53 PM
I feel as though I've read this thread before, but I suppose I have.

As was the case before his last extension we have those posters who would find a negative slant to anything telling us that he'll be away. But the one or two long standing and reliable posters who get snippets of inside info aren't so sure. As usual they're not committing, but as usual they're making promising noises.

My advice........... pay attention to them :wink:

FifeHibernian
21-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Has he not said before that he would happily play for Hibs for the rest of his career? Fenlon says that Wolves haven't even contacted Hibs about getting him back so it could be a negotiating tactic. Furthermore, Saunders might not even be there next season. Leigh's got his family up here to... Wolves will be able to offer him more though and he might see it as good for his career but I think we have a chance. It shows no ambition if we don't sign players like Leigh. He'll get us good money in the future for a reasonable fee now.

frazeHFC
21-04-2013, 12:21 PM
I think he would love to stay (especially as we're in Europe) it's just a case of teams will obviously know he can score goals and down south will be able to offer a better contract. Really hope he stays but if he doesn't hope it's down south he stays and not ending up at Darkhead.