PDA

View Full Version : Darren Dods challenge

AndyB_70
15-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Anyone got a link to a video of his challenge on Leigh? Folk keep telling me about it and I thought it was a penalty at the time but I would like to see it for myself. It's not on any of the highlights I've seen.

Kaff
15-04-2013, 10:27 PM
Anyone got a link to a video of his challenge on Leigh? Folk keep telling me about it and I thought it was a penalty at the time but I would like to see it for myself. It's not on any of the highlights I've seen.

I was in line with it from behind the goals and it was a bizarre/dreadful decision from Brines/Lino.
As I saw it Griffiths collected the ball on the touchline and was faced by Dodds, Leigh carried the ball towards him and feinted past whereby Dodds took him down a yard or so outside the box. I've no problem with that but Brines marches over and is forceful with Leigh that he must take the freekick inches from the touchline! What happened to the 5-8 yards he took to get past Dodds? So instead of a shooting opportunity (especially for a left footed player) he only allowed a fairly innocuous cross.
A lot of decisions he made were poor but this situation and the Clancy penalty were right in front of us and really showed him up to be useless, as we all know he is tbh

danhibees1875
15-04-2013, 10:35 PM
I think you're referring to the bouncing ball in the Falkirk box where Leigh got himself between Dodds and the ball then Dodds flattened Leigh in a failed attempt to win the ball before a goal-kick was given?

Couldn't believe it at the time and same as you haven't seeen it since in any highlights (making me assume it wasn't as I perceived it to be).

Think it happened near the end of the 90 minutes.

Jonnyboy
15-04-2013, 10:40 PM
I think you're referring to the bouncing ball in the Falkirk box where Leigh got himself between Dodds and the ball then Dodds flattened Leigh in a failed attempt to win the ball before a goal-kick was given?

Couldn't believe it at the time and same as you haven't seeen it since in any highlights (making me assume it wasn't as I perceived it to be).

I think that's the incident the OP is referring too. Personally I thought Brines didn't see it as a penalty because Leigh sees Dods coming and kinda backs into him. Now, the Clancy one was a penalty, all day long :agree:

HibeeN
15-04-2013, 10:42 PM

:agree: I remember thinking "that seemed more of a penalty than the one we were actually awarded!"

I recorded the game on Sky Sports and from one angle it seemed like a definite penalty but from another it looked more like Griffiths had backed into Dodds when Dodds had jumped, causing him to land on top of him. I'm pretty sure one of the commentators said it should have been a penalty, but the lack of coverage since might suggest otherwise.

Sir David Gray
15-04-2013, 10:53 PM
It was a penalty but not as much of a penalty as the Clancy one, which was a stonewaller.

Funnily enough, both of those claims were more solid than the one we actually got, which I thought was actually quite soft.

ballengeich
16-04-2013, 12:08 AM
It was a penalty but not as much of a penalty as the Clancy one, which was a stonewaller.

Funnily enough, both of those claims were more solid than the one we actually got, which I thought was actually quite soft.

Watching from the east stand the penalty we were given seemed clear cut, and in the highlights the tv picture from behind the goal was the most conclusive i.e the view that people in the east stand had. Handling was definitely tripped. If you were in the north or south then it would not have been so obvious.

On the other hand, from where I was watching I couldn't make up my mind about the Clancy incident. It was only when I saw the highlights that it became clear that it was an equally definite penalty.

It shows how the direction an incident is seen from can influence a decision. Refs have a very difficult job.

Bighoose
16-04-2013, 11:54 AM

One of those ones where if it had happened outside the box then it would be a foul all day long.

Stevie Reid
16-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Our penalty was soft, but between the Clancy one that we were denied, and the offside not awarded against Taylor at the end of ET, that's another couple of shocking decisions that went against us.

JimBHibees
16-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Our penalty was soft, but between the Clancy one that we were denied, and the offside not awarded against Taylor at the end of ET, that's another couple of shocking decisions that went against us.

Plus the onside Sparky goal another shocker.

Stevie Reid
16-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Plus the onside Sparky goal another shocker.

No doubt it was wrong Jim, but I didn't include it as it was tight and I could see why the linesman got it wrong - however, the Clancy pen was a shocker, and Taylor was well offside. I can handle tight calls going against us, these things happen, but some of the things that have gone against us of late have been horrendous.

Hopefully a massive piece of good luck will go our way on 26 May :greengrin

JimBHibees
16-04-2013, 12:16 PM
No doubt it was wrong Jim, but I didn't include it as it was tight and I could see why the linesman got it wrong - however, the Clancy pen was a shocker, and Taylor was well offside. I can handle tight calls going against us, these things happen, but some of the things that have gone against us of late have been horrendous.

Hopefully a massive piece of good luck will go our way on 26 May :greengrin

If it all balances itself out on that day we will have the cup in the bag within half an hour. :greengrin

Stevie Reid
16-04-2013, 12:22 PM
If it all balances itself out on that day we will have the cup in the bag within half an hour. :greengrin

:greengrin

leithsansiro
16-04-2013, 05:08 PM

And I bet Falkirk thought that on Saturday....

essexhibee
16-04-2013, 10:25 PM
Dods resembles David Hasselhoff. Or is they just me :greengrin

HibeeMG
16-04-2013, 11:06 PM
At the time I was screaming for a penalty. I couldn't believe it when it was given.

The guy next to me said he didn't think it was so I quietened down and said I'd wait until I saw it again. I've not seen it but I still think it was more of a penalty than the one we got.

On the subject of decisions, the fact that the referee and the linesman between them thought that the Clancy foul wasn't a penalty is ridicuous.

Also, I understand that the Leigh offside was tight and was a difficult call but the very same linesman allowed Lyle Taylor to carry on when he was obviously offside a few minutes later.

BoltonHibee
17-04-2013, 12:48 AM
Never a penalty

3pm
17-04-2013, 06:41 AM
It was a pen. I never had a great deal of time for DD but I thought he done well for them on Saturday.

Hibs Class
17-04-2013, 06:52 AM
One of those ones where if it had happened outside the box then it would be a foul all day long.

There was a similar challenge by Hanlon on Taylor (I think) in the first half for which a foull was given.

ronaldo7
17-04-2013, 07:16 AM
Clancy's was a stonewaller and the lino was right in line with the incident. Couldnae believe it.

We'll just save all these incidents and take them in the final ta:aok:

Aldo
17-04-2013, 07:21 AM

Handling one was defo soft but Clancy was a stonewalled.

The offside were just as bad IMHO. Leigh was in line with the last man while Taylor was at least a body width off.

I personally think the linesman was at fault for those bad decisions.

kaimendhibs
17-04-2013, 08:20 PM

Can only think these shocking decisions have been overlooked because we eventually won. The same linesman gave sparky offside when he was on, and as for Taylor's, that wasnt even close. Knew from the north stand that clancys was a stonewall penalty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyB_70
17-04-2013, 10:07 PM
So basically no video of the challenge available online. I'll just have to live with the thought that it was a penalty at the time and the ref was a useless %*#&.

down-the-slope
18-04-2013, 03:21 AM
So basically no video of the challenge available online. I'll just have to live with the thought that it was a penalty at the time and the ref was a useless %*#&.

Dods went for and played the ball with Leigh trying to back in...the fact Dodds is twice his size meant Leigh got flattened.

Not the same as Hanlon one referred to as he was climbing.

Handling pen looked soft at time and still on latter TV viewing...

However there were other more clear fouls (like Clancy) we never got..

We were right at corner flag in East so good view of the first 2...