PDA

View Full Version : Dear Mr Hampden PA Man (or Lady).....

Glory Lurker
14-04-2013, 04:22 PM
...see when the final whistle goes on 26 May and Hibs at last win the Holy Grail, go and dinnae put Sunshine on Leith on two seconds later? Alright, it provided a truly epic Hampden moment in 2007 but that doesn't mean that we should be made to put on a show like a bunch of performing seals every time we win something through there. Is there any chance that we can be left alone for a few minutes to have a spontaneous celebration? Yesterday, I wanted to applaud the players and sing whatever songs the crowd wanted to sing, but instead the players were greeted by us being directed in our celebrations, and unable to give them a proper reception. I actually thought that took a bit off the elation I felt at the end.

Directing what fans sing happens at all big football events - why should we get to decide what we chant?:rolleyes: - so know I'm on a hiding to nothing here, but it utterly bugs me.

Hibby70
14-04-2013, 04:31 PM
...see when the final whistle goes on 26 May and Hibs at last win the Holy Grail, go and dinnae put Sunshine and Leith on two seconds later? Alright, it provided a truly epic Hampden moment in 2007 but that doesn't mean that we should be made to put on a show like a bunch of performing seals every time we win something through there. Is there any chance that we can be left alone for a few minutes to have a spontaneous celebration? Yesterday, I wanted to applaud the players and sing whatever songs the crowd wanted to sing, but instead the players were greeted by us being directed in our celebrations, and unable to give them a proper reception. I actually thought that took a bit off the elation I felt at the end.

Directing what fans sing happens at all big football events - why should we get to decide what we chant?:rolleyes: - so know I'm on a hiding to nothing here, but it utterly bugs me.
Agree and don't play it before the start either.

Onion
14-04-2013, 04:33 PM
...see when the final whistle goes on 26 May and Hibs at last win the Holy Grail, go and dinnae put Sunshine and Leith on two seconds later? Alright, it provided a truly epic Hampden moment in 2007 but that doesn't mean that we should be made to put on a show like a bunch of performing seals every time we win something through there. Is there any chance that we can be left alone for a few minutes to have a spontaneous celebration? Yesterday, I wanted to applaud the players and sing whatever songs the crowd wanted to sing, but instead the players were greeted by us being directed in our celebrations, and unable to give them a proper reception. I actually thought that took a bit off the elation I felt at the end.

Good point well made :top marks No problem in them playing SOL but not right after the whistle.

2007 LCF for epic where the PA guy had a great mix of tracks in the right order - really made the occasion and allowed everyone to celebrate together.

Onion
14-04-2013, 04:35 PM

:top marks agree with that too ! Pretty sure it was done for the TV cameras in the run up to KO. We're treated like performing seals, so let's sing our own songs when we want to sing them.

Stringer
14-04-2013, 04:35 PM
He had a shambles at the league cup final aswell, presumably the same guy (or girl).

They just played chart music over the fans singing.

Ozyhibby
14-04-2013, 04:36 PM
...see when the final whistle goes on 26 May and Hibs at last win the Holy Grail, go and dinnae put Sunshine on Leith on two seconds later? Alright, it provided a truly epic Hampden moment in 2007 but that doesn't mean that we should be made to put on a show like a bunch of performing seals every time we win something through there. Is there any chance that we can be left alone for a few minutes to have a spontaneous celebration? Yesterday, I wanted to applaud the players and sing whatever songs the crowd wanted to sing, but instead the players were greeted by us being directed in our celebrations, and unable to give them a proper reception. I actually thought that took a bit off the elation I felt at the end.

Agree 100%

biffo1875
14-04-2013, 04:42 PM

yep 100%great post wanted to say the same for a while but was not sure my:tin hat:would be safe !!!black eye peas for me IF .

biffo1875
14-04-2013, 04:56 PM
:aok:
Good point well made :top marks No problem in them playing SOL but not right after the whistle.

2007 LCF for epic where the PA guy had a great mix of tracks in the right order - really made the occasion and allowed everyone to celebrate together.
:aok:

WestEndHibee
14-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Agreed. I'm a huge fan of sol after a big win but I prefer a nice amount of hibees bounce, Allez Allez oh etc before the proclaimer a step in my I'm on my way and sol to cap off a great day.

Devilstorment
14-04-2013, 05:00 PM
SOL should be kept for when we get back to Easter Road before they emerge with the cup out the tunnel

..... goosebumps just thinking about it there!!!

LithgaeHibby
14-04-2013, 05:44 PM
I agree. SOL is great, but there's a time and a place for everything, and it shouldn't be over-used.

TAHibby
14-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Obviously just for TV but definitely loses effect/impact for me when played post AND pre match

Jack Hackett
14-04-2013, 05:50 PM
After we've collected the cup will be just fine :greengrin

MacBean
14-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Used to be my teacher at Auggies. He's a jambo

Onceinawhile
14-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Agrees.

Speedy
14-04-2013, 06:01 PM
If Hibs win on the 26th of May I couldn't care less what they play.

14-04-2013, 06:03 PM
Totally agree with original post and the point made about not playing before the game. After the final whistle there should be time for chanting, applause and general euphoric celebration with the players then play it after to top it all off. However, its a a very emotional and inspiring song so i'm glad that Pat and his players got to still be on the pitch and see it in full flow, hopefully giving them a bit of inspiration. The semi last year, the players and Pat had already left the field so missed seeing it.

Hopefully we are singing it at full time again on May 26th :pray::pray::pray:

Now that really would be a tear fest lol, im not ashamed to admit I shed a wee tear singing it at hampden when we won the cup in 2007 but May would be even better!

Pat 0-7
14-04-2013, 06:06 PM

:top marks

Felt exactly the same yesterday. Had to decide between singing SOL or applauding the players......

basehibby
14-04-2013, 07:18 PM

Agreed - great song in it's place but was put on far too soon after the final whistle - we all wanted to be doing the Hibees bounce etc. but ended up coerced into singing along to what is a bit of a mournful plodder in SOL.

Bishop Hibee
14-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Great club anthem but right after a win like that wasn't the place for it.

clerriehibs
14-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Agreed. I'm a huge fan of sol after a big win but I prefer a nice amount of hibees bounce, Allez Allez oh etc before the proclaimer a step in my I'm on my way and sol to cap off a great day.

I like the chant ... but it really doesn't work at the bowl of Hampden. The different parts of the crowd hear it, but don't know when to kick in, and you end up with a half-hearted effort with different parts of it being sung at the same time.

TowerHibs
14-04-2013, 07:29 PM
@graemeeaston

Old teacher from school. Sure he would welcome suggestions

hibsdaft
14-04-2013, 07:31 PM

spot on. leave it 5/10 minutes and then play it

playing the two songs before the game was just bizarre too. would love it if they just tried silence for a change and letting the fans build the atmosphere.

HiBremian
14-04-2013, 07:31 PM
I like the chant ... but it really doesn't work at the bowl of Hampden. The different parts of the crowd hear it, but don't know when to kick in, and you end up with a half-hearted effort with different parts of it being sung at the same time.

But it worked in 2007. If you ask me, it's like film-making. It's all about timing ;-)

HiBremian
14-04-2013, 07:33 PM
SOL, that is......

clerriehibs
14-04-2013, 07:40 PM
But it worked in 2007. If you ask me, it's like film-making. It's all about timing ;-)

You might have been, but I was most definitely not singing "allez allez oh" in 2007!

DH1875
14-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Not to play/sing SOL if we win the cup is just plain daft.

oramhibee
14-04-2013, 08:19 PM
What they should do:

Final Whistle- nothing, let fan sing ( e.g Championes, ole ole ole, The Hibs are having a party... The Hearts are in their beds)
Players go up to trophy- Fans sing again
McPake Lifts Trophy-500 Miles
Players Parade Trophy-Glory glory to the Hibees AND THEN SOL!

Then Trophy parade back to ER via Gorgie

Well That's What I think...

madabouthibs
14-04-2013, 08:25 PM
After we've collected the cup will be just fine :greengrin

This for me, once the players are back on the pitch and we've all stopped greetin'! :greengrin

Steve-O
14-04-2013, 08:29 PM
My recollection of 2007 was 500 miles right on full time, then Chelsea Dagger, the SOL.

Though it might have been Chelsea Dagger on full time and 500 miles after lifting the cup? SOL was definitely last and timed well.

I like it again after hating it for a while when they seemed to play it at least once at every single home game, including half times where we'd be losing to ICT or some other pish!

dp00
14-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Woosh entertainment is company sure they would welcome feedback

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

HibeeN
14-04-2013, 10:16 PM
My recollection of 2007 was 500 miles right on full time, then Chelsea Dagger, the SOL.

Though it might have been Chelsea Dagger on full time and 500 miles after lifting the cup? SOL was definitely last and timed well.

I like it again after hating it for a while when they seemed to play it at least once at every single home game, including half times where we'd be losing to ICT or some other pish!

:agree: I'm pretty sure 500 miles started playing as soon as Jones lifted the cup. Wasn't GGTTH played too?

Purple & Green
14-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Weren't they offering prizes for the best tweet #roadtohampden, 'chosen at random' - made me laugh

14-04-2013, 10:30 PM
:agree: I'm pretty sure 500 miles started playing as soon as Jones lifted the cup. Wasn't GGTTH played too?

GGTTH came on after the full time whistle and 500 came on just when Jones lifted the cup :thumbsup:

NOLA
14-04-2013, 10:53 PM
hate being put on the spot to perform :wink: IF we win i'll sing SOL all night without a care in the world, my polish neighbours will just have to join in :greengrin

frazeHFC
15-04-2013, 12:03 AM
Used to be my teacher at Auggies. He's a jambo

Was my teacher too for a couple of years, still teaches at my old school.

connerg
15-04-2013, 12:11 AM
You took the words straight out my mouth ma man.:top marks

Onion
15-04-2013, 07:08 AM
You took the words straight out my mouth ma man.:top marks

Bat out of Hell ;)