PDA

View Full Version : Formation against Celtic

Liam89
14-04-2013, 02:49 PM
I know this is a bit premature but I'm wondering what formation you'd like to see us play against Celtic in the final? 4-5-1 has worked well for us in the past against better teams but after yesterday it seems we play good football in a 4-4-2 albeit against a 1st division side. I personally think if we set out with a 4-4-2 and lost the first goal we'd panic and lose by a few. A 4-5-1 would see us play tighter and hope to hit them on the break and sneak a 1-0 win which we have seen so often this season.

StarMan10
14-04-2013, 03:23 PM
We have 5 games to try various systems and fine tune them for the final. Would usually say play 4-5-1 and overwhelm them in the midfield but we couldnt even do that against Falkirk. Now im of the opinion that we should just go for it with a 4-4-2 and try and play some attacking football. Question is who would partner Leigh? Doyle made a big impact yesterday but has been abit hot and cold. Handling is young and looks a decent prospect but is he ready to be pitted into a cup final against Celtic?

Leighonel
14-04-2013, 03:24 PM
I would think 4-5-1 will be used against ra tick. With doyle and harris out wide and KT, Claros and Taiwo in the middle.

However, celtic are missing kayal, wanyama and brown, I think, so they shouldnt bully us in midfield if we were to play KT and Claros.

Beefster
14-04-2013, 03:26 PM
4-5-1 will be used but it hasn't really worked in about 5 months.

KeithTheHibby
14-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Get rid of this 451, we look and play terrible.

We won against Celtic 1-0 playing 451 and have stuck with it ever since which hasn't exactly brought results has it?

Yesterday was effing woeful in the first half and as much as Robertson and Cairney were poor it was way too congested in midfield for any of these players to do anything. In the second half Claros and Harris had way more of the ball and were much more effective as a result.

We score goals playing 442 and need to take the game to Celtic, their defence is rubbish when you put them under pressure. I would rather lose 4-3 in the final and have a go as opposed to losing 1-0 and playing with 10 men behind the ball.

Team for final should be;

Williams
Clancy McPake Hanlon McGivern
Cairney Thomson Claros Harris
Griffiths Doyle

bingo70
14-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Like us to play 442 but with Doyle and Griffiths dropping deep, not at the same time, so one of them is playing like an attacking midfielder or a 'no 10' forward. If we play a normal 442 we'll get pumped imo.

KingFranck
14-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Just shows what a problem Pat has its a huge decision but he might look back at the game at ER when we beat them with effectively 4-5-1 how about that again Leigh up front with Doyle either right side of midfield or just behind Leigh?
Just think we should stop any supply to Hooper and whoever else they play Stokes or Samaras and one instruction to midfield stop Commmons and Forrest playing and we have a great chance!

KingFranck
14-04-2013, 03:39 PM
Get rid of this 451, we look and play terrible.

We won against Celtic 1-0 playing 451 and have stuck with it ever since which hasn't exactly brought results has it?

Yesterday was effing woeful in the first half and as much as Robertson and Cairney were poor it was way too congested in midfield for any of these players to do anything. In the second half Claros and Harris had way more of the ball and were much more effective as a result.

We score goals playing 442 and need to take the game to Celtic, their defence is rubbish when you put them under pressure. I would rather lose 4-3 in the final and have a go as opposed to losing 1-0 and playing with 10 men behind the ball.

Team for final should be;

Williams
Cairney Thomson Claros Harris
Griffiths Doyle

To be honest unless Cairney shows improvement in the next few weeks he shouldn't be in the team he had a nightmare yesterday I'd have Handling in before him

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-04-2013, 03:41 PM

Williams
Clancy? Mcpake Hanlon Mcgivern
Taiwo Claros Thomson
Cairney/Handling Harris
Griffiths

Danderhall Hibs
14-04-2013, 03:41 PM
4-5-1 will be used but it hasn't really worked in about 5 months.

Worked against Kilie in the cup but agree it's not been working recently.

KeithTheHibby
14-04-2013, 03:43 PM
To be honest unless Cairney shows improvement in the next few weeks he shouldn't be in the team he had a nightmare yesterday I'd have Handling in before him

Right midfield is a problem, has been all season. Could play Cairney, Wotherspoon, Handling, Doyle or Done in there.

blackpoolhibs
14-04-2013, 03:44 PM
4-5-1 will be fine in the final, remember we have Done to come back in.

essexhibee
14-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Has to be 442 with Doyle partnering Griffiths up front. We looked so much more threatening and most importantly Leigh looked more threatening with Doyle up there.

squire
14-04-2013, 03:48 PM
4-5-1 will be fine in the final, remember we have Done to come back in.

Done is suspended for the final, thank goodness

blackpoolhibs
14-04-2013, 03:49 PM

No.

number9dream
14-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Five games to get shape and personnel right...
Clancy & Hanlon were ropey yesterday, Cairney & Robertson were appalling. Wotherspoon off the boil. Done is garbage.
Playing a central three from Thomson, Claros, Taiwo, Deegan, Stevenson, Robertson is too negative - we can't keep the ball in the opposition half and will be under pressure for long spells.
The emergence of Harris is a really positive note but who plays on the other flank? That is a major head-scratcher for wee Pat.
Let's see if Handling can do something up top beside Griffiths over next few games or should Doyle be reinstated?

Williams
Claros Thomson
??(A)?? ??(B)?? Harris
Griffiths

Who fills gaps A & B ?

Col2
14-04-2013, 03:50 PM

No he isn't. A real boost and might swing the game for us.

zlatan
14-04-2013, 03:51 PM
For anyone saying 4-5-1 got us a win in December it also got us on the receiving end of a 3-0 walkover last weekend at Parkhead.

J-C
14-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Hopefully Pat noticed that Celtic are poor at the back and attacks them, at least having a go anyway.

squire
14-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Booked against Aberdeen & Kilmarnock

essexhibee
14-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Has to be 442 with Doyle partnering Griffiths up front. We looked so much more threatening and most importantly Leigh looked more threatening with Doyle up there.

cabbageandribs1875
14-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Booked against Aberdeen & Kilmarnock

yep he was indeed booked against aberdeen and killie, so does that not mean he was suspended for y/day ?

Stringer
14-04-2013, 04:15 PM
4 4 1 1!! The fomation should be fairly fluid thou. We just need players on the park that can gas defenders on the break.

Done/Handling Claros Thompson Harris

Doyle/Taiwo - probably doyle for headers thou

Griffiths

LeighLoyal
14-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Going by what I saw yesterday, Handling and Harris on the flanks, Claros and Taiwo in middle and Leigh and Doyle up top, 4-4-2.

CapitalHibs
14-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Don't know this guy's credentials, but he seems to have a totally different take on what formations were played yesterday.:dunno:

http://www.theawayend.net/match-day/reports/1617-hibernian-4-3-falkirk-aet-tactical-analysis

AlbertK86
14-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Lets see how the players perform over the coming weeks

If it was tmw and all were fit I would go 442

Williams

Clancy - poor yesterday but hopefully be ok with more game time

McPake
Hanlon both on 2nd half performances as opposed to debacle of 1st half

McGivern

Handling
Claros
Thomson
Harris

Doyle
Griffiths

Subs

Murdoch
Stevenson
Cairney
Taiwo
Caldwell

DH1875
14-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Would rather go 5-4-1 than 4-5-1. If it was up to me Id go for the 4-2-3-1 and use the next 5 weeks to get the team used to it.

SaulGoodman
14-04-2013, 10:56 PM
4-0-6
Williams
Clancy/Mcpake/Hanlon/Mcgivern
------
Handling/Claros/Thomson/Griffiths/Doyle/Harris

It's the final, lets go for it! :duck:

Andy74
14-04-2013, 11:08 PM
I think the difference is overplayed a bit.

What matters more is how the players picked apply themselves and perform.

Shrekko
14-04-2013, 11:21 PM
I think the difference is overplayed a bit.

What matters more is how the players picked apybtjmselves and perform.

Exactly.

Some of them need to have a right good look at apybtjmselves.

blackpoolhibs
14-04-2013, 11:22 PM
Exactly.

Some of them need to have a right good look at apybtjmselves.

:greengrin

kentao
15-04-2013, 07:33 AM
Its got to be 442 we have proved we cant defend using 451 and we create next to no chances ie last game vs the tic 1 shot. We were mince against an average falkirk team and we were 3-0 down trying to play a system thats suppose to be hard to beat.

Lets do it the hibs way and go out and attack if we get beat fine but atleast we had a go. And fenlon if we do go 1 up dont try and sit on it go for a 2nd. im sure you must have learned that lesson by now. Ala ICT and MWell spring to mind.

Hibby Kay-Yay
15-04-2013, 07:38 AM
We should be playing 442 for the rest of the season and make the players fight for their positions. Celtc are beatable and we are capable

spike220
15-04-2013, 08:15 AM
-----------------------------------Williams--------------------------------------

-------Clancy-----------McPake-------------McGivern----------Stevenson-----

---------------Claros -----------------------------Thomson----------------------

-----Handling-----------------------Doyle-----------------------------Harris-----

---------------------------------Griffiths-------------------------------------------

They wont be used to dealing with Handling or Harris, we need to build the team around them.
Stevenson is better at stopping crosses than McGivern
Clancy had better improve otherwise I'd put Hanlon in
Doyle will work his nuts off and has a good engine
Claros and KT need to stop the Celtic midfield running at McPake & McGivern, they do this and we have a chance.
I'd give Harris and Handling a roaming brief and let the switch sides whenever they want to and create chaos.
Griffiths will do his thing and probably score a 30 yard overhead bicycle kick in the 88th minute to win it and end up going to the EPL.

Pretty Boy
15-04-2013, 08:20 AM
4-3-2-1

Williams

Clancy
McPake
Hanlon
McGivern

Taiwo
Claros
Thomson

Harris
Doyle/Handling

Griffiths

KanyeWestLower
15-04-2013, 08:41 AM
Cairney should be nowhere near the team

Hibby Kay-Yay
15-04-2013, 09:56 AM
...............Williams...............

Clancy...McPake...Hanlon...McGivern

Spoony?...Claros...Thomson...Harris

............Doyle?......Griffiths.............

Not sure about Spoony or Doyle but Now is the time to play for positions in this formation. Let's create selection competition and partnerships in this formation over the next 5 games.

I really hope 451 is behind us now.

GreenCastle
15-04-2013, 10:27 AM
I think we struggle with too many in the middle and Thompson and Claros are too similar. Claros and Taiwo in the middle and width we need to use the width with Harris and another.

LG played better with Doyle up top with him helping - Doyle also brings us more of a goal threat.

It's our back 4 which really need to improve if we are to win this thing!

NorthNorfolkHFC
15-04-2013, 10:32 AM
apologies if already mentioned but Kayal and Wanyama miss the final? Along with Brown who is on the injured list?

cabbageandribs1875
15-04-2013, 10:37 AM
apologies if already mentioned but Kayal and Wanyama miss the final? Along with Brown who is on the injured list?

yes and yes, and 'possibly' yes for brown as well

NorthNorfolkHFC
15-04-2013, 10:59 AM
yes and yes, and 'possibly' yes for brown as well

Not a bad couple of players to be out. Definitely beatable on their day. Delighted big Wanyama misses out and Brown being out is also a bonus, Kayal is too inconsistent but on his day can be impressive.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a wee injury to Mulgrew and Commons before the 26th.

cabbageandribs1875
15-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Not a bad couple of players to be out. Definitely beatable on their day. Delighted big Wanyama misses out and Brown being out is also a bonus, Kayal is too inconsistent but on his day can be impressive.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a wee injury to Mulgrew and Commons before the 26th.

he's having a a wee purple patch recently :agree:

silverhibee
15-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Don't know this guy's credentials, but he seems to have a totally different take on what formations were played yesterday.:dunno:

http://www.theawayend.net/match-day/reports/1617-hibernian-4-3-falkirk-aet-tactical-analysis

He needs to get a new dog.

silverhibee
15-04-2013, 11:25 AM

How long is Brown out for.?

Pat 0-7
15-04-2013, 11:26 AM
We should be playing 442 for the rest of the season and make the players fight for their positions. Celtc are beatable and we are capable

:aok:

Hopefully Clancy will improve from his performance on Saturday, otherwise I would like to see Spoony get a run out at right back in some of the remaining games. Taiwo played well when he came on, but maybe Thomson, with a few more games under his belt and something to prove, would be a better option? :dunno:

NorthNorfolkHFC
15-04-2013, 11:47 AM
How long is Brown out for.?

Unsure, just reading that Wilson has said he'll be winning it for Brown if he doesn't make it.

NorthNorfolkHFC
15-04-2013, 11:57 AM
:aok:

Hopefully Clancy will improve from his performance on Saturday, otherwise I would like to see Spoony get a run out at right back in some of the remaining games. Taiwo played well when he came on, but maybe Thomson, with a few more games under his belt and something to prove, would be a better option? :dunno:

Genuinely, i have no idea about our best team because the team that Pat started with was the team many (including myself) were crying for.

Robertson has just taken a real nose dive but if he can regain some form in the next few games should be in with a shout as he IS a good midfielder. Cairney again, is someone that can unlock defences, he should never have to cross the halway line to defend for us though as he just doesn't have legs. So Pat has to find a way to fit him in in a way that suits his play or leave him altogether. Robertson has to regain confidence.

Taiwo was good when he came on, Thomson did ok as did Claros so there are cases for them all. The two latter have a staggering lack of athleticism though which was highlighted when they were overrun by Alston et al on Saturday in the 1st. I am worried that after watching the highlights Thomson was trying too hard, he was almost trying to do other peoples jobs (Claros) and was therefore leaving gaps.

Our back 5 picks itself and Clancy won't have a worse game than Saturday, he'll be gaining match fitness along the way as well.

Griffiths will obviously play and I think young Harris has also guaranteed his place. Other than these two and our defence there are alot of places up for grabs but Pat will have a good run of games to build confidence, structure and try one or two things out.

cabbageandribs1875
15-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Unsure, just reading that Wilson has said he'll be winning it for Brown if he doesn't make it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22147968

Stand-in Kelvin Wilson is ready to allow Scott Brown to lift the Scottish Cup even if the captain misses the final for Celtic against Hibernian.

looking good i reckon, and even if broonaldo was fit he would still lack match fitness :)

Bristolhibby
15-04-2013, 12:06 PM

Stand-in Kelvin Wilson is ready to allow Scott Brown to lift the Scottish Cup even if the captain misses the final for Celtic against Hibernian.

looking good i reckon, and even if broonaldo was fit he would still lack match fitness :)

Ahh, already talking about winning the Cup.

Would Broon do a John Terry?

J

cabbageandribs1875
15-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Ahh, already talking about winning the Cup.

Would Broon do a John Terry?

J

racially abuse another player ? :confused::greengrin

CropleyWasGod
15-04-2013, 12:15 PM
racially abuse another player ? :confused::greengrin

Didn't he sh*g Hartley's wife? :greengrin

JimBHibees
15-04-2013, 12:19 PM

Incredibly arrogant line that. Lets do them.