PDA

View Full Version : Weegie Hibs fans

DH1875
14-04-2013, 01:04 PM
I'm not a weegie but I do have s strong weegie type accent. Yesterday a guy in the pub after the game tried to have a go cause I'm a weegie despite me having a hibs top on and scarf. This isn't the first time, at the SC final last year a group of guys (not in colours) had a go in the pub with one of them really going at it despite me being covered head to toe in green and white and being in a pub full ig hibs fans singing hibs songs. Its also happened at ER. Got in a fist fight with 2 guys at a Dundee game behind the old east stand. They started because I sound weegie.
Has anyone else had a problem or is it just me? Honestly thinking of jacking it in.

Malthibby
14-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Absolutely no idea why this should be happening, don't know anyone who would or should have a problem with an accent of any description, never
mind the standard central belt west coast variety.
It's a weird world, but don't let it put you off, this must be a tiny minority of folk.
GG

Hibercelona
14-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Stop talking out your nose and you'll be fine. :wink:

BEEJ
14-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Never had that problem - but then many would say I don't have a strong Glasgow accent, despite having been born there. :greengrin

Doesn't stop me getting occasional abuse and insults on here, of course. :wink:

basehibby
14-04-2013, 01:25 PM
I'm not a weegie but I do have s strong weegie type accent. Yesterday a guy in the pub after the game tried to have a go cause I'm a weegie despite me having a hibs top on and scarf. This isn't the first time, at the SC final last year a group of guys (not in colours) had a go in the pub with one of them really going at it despite me being covered head to toe in green and white and being in a pub full ig hibs fans singing hibs songs. Its also happened at ER. Got in a fist fight with 2 guys at a Dundee game behind the old east stand. They started because I sound weegie.
Has anyone else had a problem or is it just me? Honestly thinking of jacking it in.

Don't give it up because of these cowardly village idiots mate - we do have our fair share of these types as do pretty much every club in the land, but they are NOT the majority.

hibsbollah
14-04-2013, 01:26 PM

Never heard of anything like it:confused:

Jack Hackett
14-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Never had that problem - but then many would say I don't have a strong Glasgow accent, despite having been born there. :greengrin

Doesn't stop me getting occasional abuse and insults on here, of course. :wink:

Gie it a rest ya weegie tramp :greengrin

BEEJ
14-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Right on cue.

:greengrin

hibs0666
14-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Giffnock Hibs ya bas.

1two
14-04-2013, 01:38 PM

Aye, **** off back to your own country :greengrin

It is pretty pathetic though that you get abused by fans of the same team just because you speak funny

blaikie
14-04-2013, 01:39 PM
More likely to get a kicking in Glasgow for wearing a Hibs top and having a near native accent! Don't let it put you off, end of the day your supporting your team and don't let anyone or anything stand in your way!

Dashing Bob S
14-04-2013, 01:49 PM

Surely the combination of methadone and buckfast should dull your senses to the cruel comments made by others? If that fails, you can always pull your trusty chiv or cry 'murder polis'!

Only joking. Anybody who insults or denigrates a fellow fan because of their accent is the lowest form of rude pond life. Because I have an accent that some designate 'posh', I too have had the occasional negative comment or snickering fool wheeze like Mutley, presumably at my 'expense'. When this happens I just become even more upper-class in my tones, and haughtily disdain the peasants in question. I find this is usually sufficient to drive the timid, slack-mouthed urchins back to their slums!

Franck Stanton
14-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Stop wearing your shell-suit would be a start. :wink:

Kato
14-04-2013, 02:22 PM
cowardly village idiots

Perfect description.

Pre-Celtic Hibs had a huge support in Glasgow. Once they started up we still had a huge support which was nibbled away at over the years. Even in the 1950's there was still a Hibs supporters bus which left regularly from Clydebank. Many years ago I christened these fans who didn't follow the inevitable drift toward the plastics "The Lost Tribe of Good C***s".

Hats off to any Weegie Hibbies I say. Bless 'em all.

DH1875
14-04-2013, 02:27 PM
More likely to get a kicking in Glasgow for wearing a Hibs top and having a near native accent! Don't let it put you off, end of the day your supporting your team and don't let anyone or anything stand in your way!

Never had a problem wearing a hibs shirt in glasgow to be fair. Had a few funny looks and the odd comment like, theres a guy in a hibs top as they look on a bit confused.
I've no problem with the patter and even quite enjoy it. I join in with songs about weegie slums even though I live here. Its the numpties who get me. Last thing I need is hassle from our fans as domt mormally take kite from anyone but Im getting on a bit and domt want any trouble. I just want to be able to enjoy myself

DH1875
14-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Never had a problem wearing a hibs shirt in glasgow to be fair. Had a few funny looks and the odd comment like, theres a guy in a hibs top as they look on a bit confused.
I've no problem with the patter and even quite enjoy it. I join in with songs about weegie slums even though I live here. Its the numpties who get me. Last thing I need is hassle from our fans as domt mormally take kite from anyone but Im getting on a bit and domt want any trouble. I just want to be able to enjoy myself

Bloody phone :)

yeezus.
14-04-2013, 02:39 PM

I usually get called "Irish"... as if it is a bad thing... by other Hibs fans. It's mad, who cares where one comes from as long as they support the Hibees.

magnificent_seven
14-04-2013, 02:39 PM
I am originally from Ayrshire, so I still have a west coast accent. Can't say it has ever got me into bother but it does puzzle folk! :greengrin

HH81
14-04-2013, 02:43 PM
I think my Yorkshire accent goes down a treat. :-)

marinello59
14-04-2013, 02:44 PM

Why don't you support your local team ya glory hunting *******?

:greengrin

MSK
14-04-2013, 02:59 PM
I've no problem with the patter and even quite enjoy it. I join in with songs about weegie slums even though I live here. Its the numpties who get me. Last thing I need is hassle from our fans as domt mormally take kite from anyone but Im getting on a bit and domt want any trouble. I just want to be able to enjoy myselfJust carry a helium balloon with ye ..that would confuse them ..:wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Hibby wi a bus fare!

Renfrew_Hibby
14-04-2013, 03:08 PM
I dont hide my west coast accent nor should I. (The more hibbies from anywhere) the better. I have found some Hibs fans to be very anti west coast, but there is a fair amount of us about so get over it.

Hibees here, Hibees there, Hibees everywhere!

rcarter1
14-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Muppeteers. Shame that every support has their 'agenda' boys, with crap to say. These guys are a lunatic fringe, sat next to some erses yesterday spouting all sorts. By the end of the match they were a forgotten memory - particularly as they were gone in 30 minutes.

Hibees here, Hibees there, Hibees xxxxin everywhere! :flag::flag::flag:

joe breezy
14-04-2013, 03:15 PM
No need for anti Glasgow stuff - just anti Old Firm

Stuarty27
14-04-2013, 03:16 PM
I think my Yorkshire accent goes down a treat. :-)

You don't sit in the famous five lower by any chance??

FifeHibernian
14-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Utter idiots. Don't jack it in just because of these idiots!

essexhibee
14-04-2013, 03:59 PM
Wait and see the looks you get when you speak with a thick Essex accent!

nonshinyfinish
14-04-2013, 04:00 PM
No need for anti Glasgow stuff - just anti Old Firm

Indeed.

LancsHibs
14-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Maybe it's not your accent folk don't like:greengrin

HH81
14-04-2013, 04:07 PM
You don't sit in the famous five lower by any chance??

No the east when I do attend.

Glesgahibby
14-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Never had this problem?
I wonder if the old firm fans from Aberdeen,Dundee,Edinburgh and so on get any hassle from there glesga chums:greengrin

Peevemor
14-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Wait and see the looks you get when you speak with a thick Essex accent!

Is there any other sort? :greengrin:

DH1875
14-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Maybe it's not your accent folk don't like:greengrin

True, you could be right there :)
To be fair, wouldn't bother me if you were right but given Ive never met any of them before and the first thing out their mouth is, are you a weegie? Many many years ago I was in Gladstones down near the bottom of Leith walk. Despite being with other Hibs fans I was told in no certain terms I wasnt welcome and would be better if Id leave. I put it down to us playing rangers that day and that they new I was from the West but who knows.

SkintHibby
14-04-2013, 08:03 PM
I have a weegie-ish accent and Edinburgh Hibees in the past have questioned my Hibee credentials. Totally bizarre!!!:confused:

You guys from Edinburgh should be proud to welcome non-Edinburgh Hibees to the family.

Scouse Hibee
14-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Never had any problem apart from a few comments about the shell suit!

erin go bragh
14-04-2013, 08:12 PM
True, you could be right there :)
To be fair, wouldn't bother me if you were right but given Ive never met any of them before and the first thing out their mouth is, are you a weegie? Many many years ago I was in Gladstones down near the bottom of Leith walk. Despite being with other Hibs fans I was told in no certain terms I wasnt welcome and would be better if Id leave. I put it down to us playing rangers that day and that they new I was from the West but who knows.
Sounds like some idiots mate , a hibby is a hibby no matter what accent/language imho

ggtth

FifeHibernian
14-04-2013, 08:22 PM
I have a weegie-ish accent and Edinburgh Hibees in the past have questioned my Hibee credentials. Totally bizarre!!!:confused:

You guys from Edinburgh should be proud to welcome non-Edinburgh Hibees to the family.

Twats.

DH1875
14-04-2013, 08:59 PM

So I'm not the only one. Was starting to think it really was just me :-[
Now its confirmed we've got celtic in the final Im in two minds. Almost certain to be going on my own so will feel awkard walking into
a bar on the day.

monktonharp
14-04-2013, 09:08 PM
some of my best workmates over the years were "weedgies" or with a westie accent. maist o' them being OF, M/well fans but good guys all the same. It really does piss me off, hearing our fans slag off anyone purely because of an accent.

kdhibees1
14-04-2013, 09:13 PM
No matter where you go, there will always be narrow-minded people. **** them mate. There no worth worrying about imo!!!!!! :flag:

FifeHibernian
14-04-2013, 09:13 PM
So I'm not the only one. Was starting to think it really was just me :-[
Now its confirmed we've got celtic in the final Im in two minds. Almost certain to be going on my own so will feel awkard walking into
a bar on the day.

Mate, don't worry about these morons. Imagine if Hibs win it and you're not there just because some small-minded idiots put you off. It's their problem not yours. Trying to suggest you're not a Hibee just because of your accent says a lot more about them than you mate.

nonshinyfinish
14-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Mate, don't worry about these morons. Imagine if Hibs win it and you're not there just because some small-minded idiots put you off. It's their problem not yours. Trying to suggest you're not a Hibee just because of your accent says a lot more about them than you mate. Feel sorry for them.

:agree: Ignore the pricks and follow the Hibees.

Baldy Foghorn
14-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Never had any problem apart from a few comments about the shell suit!

What about the perm and tache?:greengrin

Davy Mac
15-04-2013, 07:05 AM

Fella, although born in Leith, my family orginates from Ayrshire, Govan & Wishaw and in my experience working all over the UK i've come to realise there is a lot of Scottish folk get a nose bleed if they travel past their local roundabout.

Hibs will be and always will be an open minded, family orientated, welcoming non secteranian football club and in my opinion these fellow fans are a dying breed.

Well done, this is your club as well and don't let a couple of trumpets tell you otherwise.

Lucius Apuleius
15-04-2013, 07:14 AM
Nobody has ever questioned my Stirling/Denny accent in all my years.