PDA

View Full Version : Hampden Playing Surface

spike220
14-04-2013, 09:07 AM
One thing that struck me durring the game yesterday was the quality of the turf at Hampden and the fact the pitch was mint.

How often does the current team get to play competitive matches on such a good surface, so well suited to passing football.

Hibs were just getting better and better the longer they played on that turf. I am certainly not saying this is the reason they played the way they did, but I know what a difference the playing surface makes.

For example could we have played the same way at Easter road (probably not) the ball would not run as well on the grass.

Just one thought, what do others think?

RoYO!
14-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Did look v lush- do they plant more grass/ different type of grass? As even on day 1 of season ER doesn't look as good. Thought it seemed sticky so balls into corners weren't running out and we began to really utilise this well.

inglisavhibs
14-04-2013, 09:38 AM
One thing that struck me durring the game yesterday was the quality of the turf at Hampden and the fact the pitch was mint.

How often does the current team get to play competitive matches on such a good surface, so well suited to passing football.

Hibs were just getting better and better the longer they played on that turf. I am certainly not saying this is the reason they played the way they did, but I know what a difference the playing surface makes.

For example could we have played the same way at Easter road (probably not) the ball would not run as well on the grass.

Just one thought, what do others think?
Not sure the surface had much to do with it. The main reason we gradually got better was Falkirk tiring. Claros is a good example,he hardly got a kick in the first half but due to his fitness he was as good as anybody in the second half. The big problem is that when both teams were at their fittest Falkirk were clearly more athletic and better than us. Taylor tired very quickly in the second half and Falkirk no longer had a target. This is not a new problem as anybody watching Hibs regularly will see. Made for a great game though and seeing a young lad like Harris turn the game for us is brilliant.