PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh Marathon

HarpyHibby
14-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Edinburgh Marathon is on the same day as the SC Final, will this not cause chaos for getting to buses leaving from Easter Road etc?

danhibees1875
14-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Does the marathon go down Leith way? I thought the whole track was quite city centre based and didn't go much further north than Carlton hill. Could be wrong though.

There is a marathon today in Edinburgh - I'd assume it uses the same route. Has it went into Leith?

Mikey
14-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Edinburgh Marathon is on the same day as the SC Final, will this not cause chaos for getting to buses leaving from Easter Road etc?

Aw FFS.

hibee_girl
14-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Marathon route - https://gsievents.r.worldssl.net/images/www.edinburgh-marathon.com/EMF12_maps/marathon-route-map2012.gif

Mikey
14-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Marathon route - https://gsievents.r.worldssl.net/images/www.edinburgh-marathon.com/EMF12_maps/marathon-route-map2012.gif

Aw FFS.

HarpyHibby
14-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Aw FFS.

Surely the council will put some sort of arrangements in place, or Hibs for that matter? It might not affect everyone, but for myself and others coming from east of Edinburgh it could be a nightmare!

monktonharp
14-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Surely the council will put some sort of arrangements in place, or Hibs for that matter? It might not affect everyone, but for myself and others coming from east of Edinburgh it could be a nightmare!:agree:absolute nightmare for us fi the East End. 2 of our buses left from Meadowbank Stadium yesterday, and another from Mussie via the Milton Rd. hopeless situation for us if M/bank/Piershill/Porty is cordoned off!

Jamesie
17-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Does anyone know if it's possible to cross the route of the marathon as a pedestrian while it is ongoing? Do they have designated / staged crossing places? My bus will be leaving from Pilton but I'll need to get there from Lochend. If I can't cross Lochend Road South on foot to go to Easter Road to get a taxi this could be a disaster!

Westie1875
17-04-2013, 11:45 AM
What time does it start at? Can't find anything online about the road closures, only for 2012 and even then there are no times.

Dr Jimmy
17-04-2013, 11:50 AM
If you are moaning about buses, save a thought for someone who's wife is running the marathon and who agreed to take the kids to see her running and cheer her on....

Well, that was plan A, plan B of "we need a babysitter, coz I am going to the final" is currently being played out.

Should I tell her I have been with Hibs a lot longer than I have been with her?:hmmm:

Any thoughts or strategies are welcome, along with cheap accommodation preferably......

Jamesie
17-04-2013, 11:51 AM
What time does it start at? Can't find anything online about the road closures, only for 2012 and even then there are no times.

9:50am at London Road & 10:00am at Regent Road, Edinburgh

Since90+2
17-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Does anyone know if it's possible to cross the route of the marathon as a pedestrian while it is ongoing? Do they have designated / staged crossing places? My bus will be leaving from Pilton but I'll need to get there from Lochend. If I can't cross Lochend Road South on foot to go to Easter Road to get a taxi this could be a disaster!

I ran it last year and there are no 'crossing points' at Lochend Road South as that will be a fairly congested part of the race (due to it being near the beginning as people dont tend to spread out until further on).

You of course can try to cross the road if you want to , you will just need to be quick and do some zig zagging :greengrin

Jamesie
17-04-2013, 11:53 AM
I ran it last year and there are no 'crossing points' at Lochend Road South as that will be a fairly congested part of the race (due to it being near the beginning as people dont tend to spread out until further on).

You of course can try cross the road if you want to , you will just need to be quick and do some zig zagging :greengrin

Just as long as there aren't barriers stopping me crossing - if there are then we have a problem!

GreenCastle
17-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Looking at the route and the number of road closures it's important Hibs / Council come out with something soon to alert bus pick ups / companies of the situation :agree:

Since90+2
17-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Just as long as there aren't barriers stopping me crossing - if there are then we have a problem!

The whole route is not cut off with barriers so you wont have a problem there.

What time are you planning to cross the road? In all seriousness I would say it will be pretty much impossible to cross that part of the course for around 1 hour after the start time due to the sheer numbers running it.

Danderhall Hibs
17-04-2013, 12:27 PM
More importantly will it all be cleared up in time for us returning with the Cup?

GordonHFC
17-04-2013, 12:32 PM
If you are moaning about buses, save a thought for someone who's wife is running the marathon and who agreed to take the kids to see her running and cheer her on....

Well, that was plan A, plan B of "we need a babysitter, coz I am going to the final" is currently being played out.

Should I tell her I have been with Hibs a lot longer than I have been with her?:hmmm:Any thoughts or strategies are welcome, along with cheap accommodation preferably......

Think you might end up with a lot more free weekends if you play this card

Hibernia Na Eir
17-04-2013, 02:07 PM
Will be bad enough heading into town to watch in a pub (early doors drinking anyway), nevermind trying to catch a Supporters bus.
Town will still be in chaos at 1300 that day.
Stupid bloody run anyway :wink:

Westie1875
17-04-2013, 02:09 PM

Oh dear, I'm in the same boat as you but going the other direction from Easter Road past Lochend. Going to need to make sure I'm through early doors to avoid any problems.

madhibee_again
17-04-2013, 02:39 PM

That's just the full marathon, the half starts at 8am from Regent Road.

Bishop Hibee
17-04-2013, 03:28 PM
I did a bit of zig zagging on Sunday morning across the half marathon. Runners not overly impressed. They should run through Stockbridge and Crammond one year and see how the residents like them apples.

Since90+2
17-04-2013, 03:35 PM
I did a bit of zig zagging on Sunday morning across the half marathon. Runners not overly impressed. They should run through Stockbridge and Crammond one year and see how the residents like them apples.

The Rock n Roll Marathon is tiny in terms of participants compared to the Edinburgh Marathon though. You'd have to be Wylie Coyote to zig zag through it around Lochend :greengrin

madabouthibs
17-04-2013, 03:41 PM
The whole route is not cut off with barriers so you wont have a problem there.

What time are you planning to cross the road? In all seriousness I would say it will be pretty much impossible to cross that part of the course for around 1 hour after the start time due to the sheer numbers running it.

I've ran the Edinburgh Marathon twice, and I'd say the foot of Lochend Road is one of the busiest spots after the start due to it being the first hydration point on the course. Its also the first place spectators can head after seeing their loved ones off at the start. The foot of Easter Road is barriered off.

I've actually entered the Marathon this year too, but unfortunately I'm errr....... "injured" :greengrin

Since90+2
17-04-2013, 03:44 PM
I've ran the Edinburgh Marathon twice, and I'd say the foot of Lochend Road is one of the busiest spots after the start due to it being the first hydration point on the course. Its also the first place spectators can head after seeing their loved ones off at the start. The foot of Easter Road is barriered off.

I've actually entered the Marathon this year too, but unfortunately I'm errr....... "injured" :greengrin

Yep. As I said earlier it doesnt tend to space out until later on in the race so my advice to any Hibees would be to get to the side you need to be on as early as you can.

Either that or just nip out your house , join the race as they are hurtling down Lochend Road and then take a sharp left onto Easter Road at the bottom :greengrin

Curly1875
17-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Think you might end up with a lot more free weekends if you play this card
He can spend them with hibs then :greengrin

Mikey
17-04-2013, 03:47 PM
The foot of Easter Road is barriered off.

Would buses be able to go down Easter Road and turn left into Duke Street? That's what I had in mind for ours.

Since90+2
17-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Would buses be able to go down Easter Road and turn left into Duke Street? That's what I had in mind for ours.

It was only the bottom of Lochend Road and the right turn along Leith Links that was barried off last year so if its the same setup this year should be fine.

DarrenSQH
17-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Was due to run my fourth one in a row but cant miss the chance of seeing history made.

Need to email them to say im injured.

Mikey
17-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Its was only the bottom of Lochend Road and the right turn along Leith Links that was barried off last year so if its the same setup this year should be fine.

:aok:

jonny
17-04-2013, 08:01 PM

Should I tell her I have been with Hibs a lot longer than I have been with her?:hmmm:

Any thoughts or strategies are welcome, along with cheap accommodation preferably......

I had a similar dilemma, I persuaded my other half to run the Dundee marathon instead - it's at the end of July. She's a Hibby too though and I think she was secretly delighted when I suggested it.

Phil MaGlass
17-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Just blow the lightweights oot the way and nae bother the roads will open up,

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-04-2013, 08:09 PM
Is it not called The Edinburgh Snickers these days?

Mikey
18-04-2013, 07:26 AM
I had a quick chat with Gary O'Hagan about this yesterday. The club and the council will be getting together to sort out an escape route for the buses.

I'm hoping ours can go down Easter Road, left onto Duke Street, continue on Great Junction Street along to Ferry Road and turn left there. Although we do have one pick up at Kaimes so that will need another route!

SneakersO'Toole
18-04-2013, 07:45 AM
I had a similar dilemma, I persuaded my other half to run the Dundee marathon instead - it's at the end of July. She's a Hibby too though and I think she was secretly delighted when I suggested it.

Could you send me the details of the Dundee marathon please?

Im in the same boat except my missus hates football and is livid that im bumping this for the game. I told her I would run another with her. The only one I could find though was the Loch Ness marathon in September.

priorparkhibby
18-04-2013, 08:08 AM
I'm actually gonna miss going to the cup final as I'm running in the marathon, didn't realise it clashed when I signed up and as I've already raised a bit in sponsorship to help a little girl with cerebal palsy I don't want to back out the run now. Does anyone know if I'll be able to get into the supporters club to watch the game as I don't think I'll get home in time for kick off

NOLA
18-04-2013, 08:57 AM
What's the point in marathon running? 26 miles seems to me a random number of miles to run anywhere, if its to keep fit then what's wrong with running 10 miles? Who decided 26 miles was the distance required for maximum health benefits? The times I've seen marathon runners they look well out of shape, knackered as f### and appear to be in more danger of suffering from a heart attack than if they hadn't run atall! If you want to raise money for charity try doing something exciting or dangerous, you might get more sponsorship than running along a road.

CropleyWasGod
18-04-2013, 09:38 AM
What's the point in marathon running? 26 miles seems to me a random number of miles to run anywhere, if its to keep fit then what's wrong with running 10 miles? Who decided 26 miles was the distance required for maximum health benefits? The times I've seen marathon runners they look well out of shape, knackered as f### and appear to be in more danger of suffering from a heart attack than if they hadn't run atall! If you want to raise money for charity try doing something exciting or dangerous, you might get more sponsorship than running along a road.

Ahhhh, the benefits of a Classical education...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marathon

Beefster
18-04-2013, 09:46 AM

Greeks. What have they ever done for us?

Bobby's Cinema
18-04-2013, 09:49 AM

That's a shocking post.

PerfectlyFranck
18-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Is there a particular route we'd need to walk from Waverley to the stadium, around 7-930am?

NOLA
18-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Ahhhh, the benefits of a Classical education...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marathon

Trust it to be the greeks, greek love and now marathon running :)

Sent from Tapatalk

NOLA
18-04-2013, 01:34 PM
That's a shocking post.
That's a shocking reply.

Sent from Tapatalk

ggth
18-04-2013, 05:08 PM

Edinburgh Mararthon, keep it in Edinburgh, not east lothian, its pain in the ass for East Lothian folks with road closures, especially the Elderly

Hibernia Na Eir
18-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Edinburgh Mararthon, keep it in Edinburgh, not east lothian, its pain in the ass for East Lothian folks with road closures, especially the Elderly

Get the train in. I done it last year, easy. plenty east lothian stations.

Westie1875
13-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Does anyone have anymore info on what roads are closed and what times? I've had a look on the council website and can't see anything?

Hibernia Na Eir
13-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Does anyone have anymore info on what roads are closed and what times? I've had a look on the council website and can't see anything?

I'd imagine the council would have put details on their website by now to be honest. I've noticed signs and stuff already in place for the race. Most affected roads are closed from 0700 to 1200, I think.

Mikey
13-05-2013, 01:22 PM

Marathon route here.........

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?263904-FAO-Anyone-Getting-A-Cup-Final-Bus-From-Easter-Road-Hibs-Shop

Dashing Bob S
13-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Marathon route here.........

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?263904-FAO-Anyone-Getting-A-Cup-Final-Bus-From-Easter-Road-Hibs-Shop

More of an East Lothian marathon than an Edinburgh one.

Westie1875
13-05-2013, 01:39 PM
I'd imagine the council would have put details on their website by now to be honest. I've noticed signs and stuff already in place for the race. Most affected roads are closed from 0700 to 1200, I think.

Thanks, I guess the best way is to go and look at the road signs if they're up already.

I have also emailed the council asking for a list of the road closures, will post the reply up here for info when they get back to me.

Hibernia Na Eir
13-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Thanks, I guess the best way is to go and look at the road signs if they're up already.

I have also emailed the council asking for a list of the road closures, will post the reply up here for info when they get back to me.

They are definitely already up around Porty/Musselburgh :agree:

hibee_girl
14-05-2013, 07:01 AM
List on council website now

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/10468/edinburgh_marathon_traffic_restrictions_25-26_05_13

Hibby70
14-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Get the train in. I done it last year, easy. plenty east lothian stations.
Trains don't run till about 11 on a Sunday, lazy Scotrail employees no wonder they get abuse. :)

Hibernia Na Eir
14-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Trains don't run till about 11 on a Sunday, lazy Scotrail employees no wonder they get abuse. :)

I think It's nearer 1145 tbh!

gf77
14-05-2013, 08:08 PM
We got a wee booklet through the door today, hopefully you'll get one

jonny
14-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Could you send me the details of the Dundee marathon please?

Im in the same boat except my missus hates football and is livid that im bumping this for the game. I told her I would run another with her. The only one I could find though was the Loch Ness marathon in September.

It's Sunday 21 July, if you go onto the scottish running guide website full details are on there. Good luck mate

Hibby70
14-05-2013, 08:12 PM
I think It's nearer 1145 tbh!

11:20 - we'll call it a draw, lazy sods

hibee_girl
14-05-2013, 08:13 PM
We got a wee booklet through the door today, hopefully you'll get one

We got one in this area last week sometime then another letter today about a bus that's running between Portobello and Restalig every 15 minutes.

Westie1875
14-05-2013, 08:16 PM
List on council website now

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/10468/edinburgh_marathon_traffic_restrictions_25-26_05_13

Cheers for this :thumbsup:

Sudds_1
14-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Greeks. What have they ever done for us?

kebabs, donor kebabs, shish kebabs, yoghurt, hair oil ....................... hehehe

Billy Whizz
14-05-2013, 08:18 PM
kebabs, donor kebabs, shish kebabs, yoghurt, hair oil ....................... hehehe

And Georgio Samaras

Sudds_1
14-05-2013, 08:25 PM
And Georgio Samaras

he's the same as hair oil.....hehehe

hfc rd
19-05-2013, 01:50 PM
Just found out that the Edinburgh marathon is running in the area that I am leaving from next Sunday. Anyone know what time it is most likely to finish?

lord bunberry
19-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Just found out that the Edinburgh marathon is running in the area that I am leaving from next Sunday. Anyone know what time it is most likely to finish?

It will depend on were on the route you live, if you stay near the start then the roads open much earlier than if your near the finish

Mikey
19-05-2013, 01:54 PM

Sir David Gray
19-05-2013, 02:00 PM
These things normally start about 9am so I'm guessing that it will probably take a couple of hours for all the competitors to get going so the area around the start line will probably be clear about 11am-ish.

The area around the finish line probably won't be clear until the afternoon.

hfc rd
19-05-2013, 02:02 PM
These things normally start about 9am so I'm guessing that it will probably take a couple of hours for all the competitors to get going so the area around the start line will probably be clear about 11am-ish.

The area around the finish line probably won't be clear until the afternoon.

That's okay then. I'm leaving from Craigentinny so hopefully everything goes fine.

Sir David Gray
19-05-2013, 02:03 PM
That's okay then. I'm leaving from Craigentinny so hopefully everything goes fine.

Don't take that as gospel though!

Don't want to take the blame if you miss our first two goals next week! :greengrin

hfc rd
19-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Don't take that as gospel though!

Don't want to take the blame if you miss our first two goals next week! :greengrin

Don't worry. I know a guy from work that is running in the marathon, so will double check with him this week. But absolutely ridiculous why they are doing it next Sunday.

danhibees1875
19-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Don't worry. I know a guy from work that is running in the marathon, so will double check with him this week. But absolutely ridiculous why they are doing it next Sunday.

It may have been planned before we reached the final. :greengrin

Mikey
19-05-2013, 02:18 PM
I'm hoping there will be some official advice regarding getting buses in and out of ER but there's been nothing yet.

hibee_girl
20-05-2013, 12:33 PM
http://m.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/transport/hibs-fans-face-city-travel-chaos-on-cup-final-day-1-2937081