PDA

View Full Version : Post Match Comments

Speedway
13-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Fenlon:

"It was a horrendous first half, but we showed tremendous character and played really well after that," Fenlon said.

"It wasn't much of a team talk and more of a rant but it worked. But in fairness to the players they knew they'd let themselves down and the fans.

"I felt like leaving myself at half-time. It was difficult to watch and difficult to take and I apologise to the supporters for that first half, and that's down to me.

"But what they have shown is that there's massive, massive character within the group and they've shown that in spades, and that end of the game was different class."

Harris:

The 18-year-old midfielder Alex Harris, who got Hibs' first goal six minutes after the re-start, said the players would not get carried away by their second-half display, fully aware of their failings in the first.

"It wasn't us in the first half, we didn't show up but the second half was different class," he said.

"As soon as their third goal went in we turned around and saw a few Hibs fans leaving and that dented our confidence.

"But the manager gave it a rage and said we had to show up in the second half. Thank God we did.

"But we can't get carried away, the first half was very poor. The second half we turned it around and we had the momentum going into extra-time, but we won't get carried away."

Griffiths:

"I thought we were dead and buried at half-time," Griffiths told Sky Sports 1.

"The gaffer gave us a rollicking and rightly so, we were shocking in the first half.

"We knew we had to get a goal in the first 10, 15 minutes of the second half to give them a bit of problem and though I missed the penalty and the follow-up we've done that."

Griffiths' eventual winner sailed in from 25 yards, a memorable strike for the front man. "I don't think I'll hit the ball any sweeter than that," he said.

"I want to win the cup as much as they do," he added, pointing to the Hibs fans.

"We'll get Celtic or Dundee United now and we know it's going to be a tough game, we'll just go and enjoy it.

Holt:

Falkirk manager Gary Holt, taking charge of his first game at any level, could not be disappointed in his players despite the defeat.

"It's a proud day and I told them they should be proud," he said. "I told them to give everything and to come off the pitch on their hands and knees and if they do that, the result will take care of itself.

"They've given everything but we couldn't quite end it.

"We knew they were going to come out hammer and tongs and they did that. If we could have just held on for a little bit longer it might have been different."

gegs70
13-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Harris was absolutely fantastic and only 18. I know Robertson was taken off but dont think the buck shouldnt stop with him?

english_hibee
13-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Thanks for this post, I only heard McPake and Griffiths' comments so it's good to hear/read the others.

What really strikes me, and is a big thumbs up, is the fact they all focus on how appalling the first half was, and they give the huge amount of well deserved credit to Falkirk, and how they were letting the fans down with their first half display - humble in victory.

Also a lot of respect for Holt and his comments. How gutted he must be, we all know how that feels. The Bairns were superb and ame very very close to taking it to penalties, some cracking talent in that young team.

madabouthibs
13-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Robertson was one of a bad bunch in the first half. It was a good substitution with hindsight.
Options is our biggest problem, not enough of them when we're on the ball, and pressing when we're defending isn't happening. We also have absolutely no pace. Hibs have always had at least two decent quick players, but we seem to be lacking a bit of pace just now.

Bobo
13-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Proverbial game of two halves.

Fenlon is an arse, without dispute, totally and utterly fechin useless!!!! He was so close to getting' his jotters today.

Our defence were too static, slow and soft.... really really poor today. This was probably Clancey's poorest game in a Hibs jersey!

First 45 was as bad as I've seen Hibs in over 40+ years, 2nd half / extra time we were still pretty poor but managed to score four, miss a penalty and have a goal chalked off, God knows how? Pat if you have half a brain in your heid and want to keep your job, ditch the one up front crap 'cos it doesnae wash any more!

Despite two goals I thought Griffiths was poor and our youngsters saw us through today, IMO Harris deserved Man of the match as he was head and shoulders above any other Hibs player.

wookie70
13-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Holt came over incredibly well. Pat says the right things but I am less convinced every week.

Jonnyboy
13-04-2013, 08:37 PM

Fenlon is an arse, without dispute, totally and utterly fechin useless!!!! He was so close to getting' his jotters today.

Our defence were too static, slow and soft.... really really poor today. This was probably Clancey's poorest game in a Hibs jersey!

First 45 was as bad as I've seen Hibs in over 40+ years, 2nd half / extra time we were still pretty poor but managed to score four, miss a penalty and have a goal chalked off, God knows how? Pat if you have half a brain in your heid and want to keep your job, ditch the one up front crap 'cos it doesnae wash any more!

Despite two goals I thought Griffiths was poor and our youngsters saw us through today, IMO Harris deserved Man of the match as he was head and shoulders above any other Hibs player.

Four halves on this occasion Bobo :greengrin

Spot on re Harris mate :aok:

Holmesdale Hibs
13-04-2013, 08:43 PM
McPake have a good analysis of the game and looked pretty gutted afterwards. I thought at the time it was a bit strange as I was jumping around like an idiot. Having thought about it, it's good to see them not carrying on like they've won something. Everyone I've seen has spoken well.

GGTTH

Emerald
13-04-2013, 08:54 PM

That sums it up for me. :top marks

Sir David Gray
13-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Four halves on this occasion Bobo :greengrin

Spot on re Harris mate :aok:

Would that not be four quarters then!? :confused:

:wink:

BEEJ
13-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Would that not be four quarters then!? :confused:

:wink:
No. Because quarters would all be of the same size.

:na na:

Jonnyboy
13-04-2013, 09:08 PM

:aok::greengrin

DaveF
13-04-2013, 09:10 PM
No shock that Speedway points out Hibs fans leaving dents players confidence, yet never highlights the players rank rotten performance as the reason.

Speedway
13-04-2013, 09:46 PM
No shock that Speedway points out Hibs fans leaving dents players confidence, yet never highlights the players rank rotten performance as the reason.

Read the match update thread and see if you still hold that opinion.

DaveF
13-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Read the match update thread and see if you still hold that opinion.

No thanks. Why not just post a fair reflection of your views on this thread rather than highlight a dig at the fans?

Sir David Gray
13-04-2013, 09:52 PM

So it's two lots of two halves then? :dunno:

I'm confused.

So much excitement today, I don't even know what's happening now!

Baldy Foghorn
13-04-2013, 09:53 PM
No thanks. Why not just post a fair reflection of your views on this thread rather than highlight a dig at the fans?

Harris made the comment, so it obviously got to them......

SmashinGlass
13-04-2013, 09:59 PM

I don't think it's any coincidence that the team performed better in the second half with better backing from the fans. When we lost the first goal, the fan reaction was pathetic. I don't claim to be an expert in psychology, but I guarantee there's a significant difference in confidence levels between being supported and encouraged, as opposed to pilloried and abused.

thebigman1875
13-04-2013, 10:00 PM
McPake was spot on - we won and he was pissed off ! feeling it ! won and relieved Dream on and get behind them !

Hainan Hibs
13-04-2013, 10:00 PM

That wouldn't allow for a big dose of .net post match smugness.

Baldy Foghorn
13-04-2013, 10:05 PM
I don't think it's any coincidence that the team performed better in the second half with better backing from the fans. When we lost the first goal, the fan reaction was pathetic. I don't claim to be an expert in psychology, but I guarantee there's a significant difference in confidence levels between being supported and encouraged, as opposed to pilloried and abused.

Clancy gestured to those in North that were booing, I think at two down, when the ball was played back, to try and get them to be more supportive....

Jim44
13-04-2013, 10:09 PM
I'm still concerned at Griffith's comment on TV after the match where he said "We (the players) thought we just had to turn up to get it handed on a plate......." After all the pre- match comments in the media about it being a tough match, Falkirk will be up for it, yadda yadda, the truth of the matter is that they unprofessionally took it for granted that it would be a piece of cake. Do these guys never learn?

SmashinGlass
13-04-2013, 10:17 PM
Clancy gestured to those in North that were booing, I think at two down, when the ball was played back, to try and get them to be more supportive....

Unfortunately, that's not a surprise. I commented to my cousin at the game that we as a support needed to be more active in doing just that and I think I was justified. I think our support in general need to support the team instead of venting steam (apologies for the sweeping generalisation).

Big_Franck
13-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Unfortunately, that's not a surprise. I commented to my cousin at the game that we as a support needed to be more active in doing just that and I think I was justified. I think our support in general need to support the team instead of venting steam (apologies for the sweeping generalisation).

I'd agree. In some games our support is poor when we go a goal or two down. A section of our support boo and abuse the players instead of getting behind the team, although I appreciate that isn't easy to do when they are as bad as they were in the first half. You can also feel there is a negativity about the place when we go behind sometimes, which I think feeds on to the pitch.

In other games our support are brilliant when we go behind and can be a big factor in getting us back in the game. Hopefully we will stay behind the team for the full game in the final :flag:

Higgy115
13-04-2013, 10:47 PM

First 45 was as bad as I've seen Hibs in over 40+ years, 2nd half / extra time we were still pretty poor but managed to score four, miss a penalty and have a goal chalked off, God knows how? Pat if you have half a brain in your heid and want to keep your job, ditch the one up front crap 'cos itwe bdoesnae wash any more!

Wind your neck in, our second half performance was exactly what we should have been doing from the start, absolutely ripped them apart and possibly could have scored 5, how the **** can you say we were still poor in the second half. The manager did what he had to in the game re subs, stick a sucking smile on your face and enjoy one of the greatest advert for Scottish football since the 6-2 game.

CropleyWasGod
13-04-2013, 10:56 PM
So it's two lots of two halves then? :dunno:

I'm confused.

So much excitement today, I don't even know what's happening now!

Ahem.

It was a game of 2 three-eighths, and 2 eighths.

:cb

CropleyWasGod
13-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Wind your neck in, our second half performance was exactly what we should have been doing from the start, absolutely ripped them apart and possibly could have scored 5, how the **** can you say we were still poor in the second half. The manager did what he had to in the game re subs, stick a sucking smile on your face and enjoy one of the greatest advert for Scottish football since the 6-2 game.

Yep, I would agree with this. His change of personnel and tactics saved his job.

Captain Trips
13-04-2013, 11:19 PM
Yep, I would agree with this. His change of personnel and tactics saved his job.

I think he may well have been 45 mins from his jotters. I feel that before a ball was kicked both teams were set up without knowing what woild happen and we were sadly wanting, only after seeing what was on offer did we change things. For me the 1st half says a lot more about Pat than the 2nd . I cannot believe we let a division 1 team get 3 goals ahead of us 15 months into tenure, delighted we won bottom line is we struggled sgainst a team a league below us regardless of how game played out. I think I am still in shock tbh.

Higgy115
13-04-2013, 11:26 PM
I think he may well have been 45 mins from his jotters. I feel that before a ball was kicked both teams were set up without knowing what woild happen and we were sadly wanting, only after seeing what was on offer did we change things. For me the 1st half says a lot more about Pat than the 2nd . I cannot believe we let a division 1 team get 3 goals ahead of us 15 months into tenure. I think I am still in shock tbh.

I agree what you are saying Carlsberg and think he would probably have resigned tonight if it had ended up 3/4. I and probably many others thought the line up looked about right, we cannot blame Paddy for the inept display in the first half.

Captain Trips
13-04-2013, 11:29 PM
I agree what you are saying Carlsberg and think he would probably have resigned tonight if it had ended up 3/4. I and probably many others thought the line up looked about right, we cannot blame Paddy for the inept display in the first half.

I blamed him and players, delighted to be in final and hopefully Europe concerned that it took 115mins to beat a team one league below us.

sleeping giant
13-04-2013, 11:29 PM
Hi ,

Is there a link to Fenlons interview on the telly ? On the BBC site , on the Fenlon interview tab its just the highlights of the match.

Did he do a TV interview ? If so , can someone point me to it please ?

Cheers

Bobo
13-04-2013, 11:41 PM

Wind my neck in, aye good yin, We were terrible as we have been for most of the season and only the inexperience of the Falkirk players and the fact they tired so much late on to let us take control. Most other teams would have punished us even more and buried us good and proper before then.

I'm not detracting from the achievement of our players coming back from 3 down but we were piss poor from front to back for most of the game and should never have been in that position.

Good game and great result in the end but we were poor and Falkirk deserved more, if you can't acknowledge that then it's you who needs to reign your neck in.

Sir David Gray
13-04-2013, 11:41 PM
Hi ,

Is there a link to Fenlons interview on the telly ? On the BBC site , on the Fenlon interview tab its just the highlights of the match.

Cheers

He definitely did do one on Sky but I don't see a link to it.

The BBC one is strange. It has a screenshot of Fenlon giving an interview and then when you click on it, it only shows the highlights of the match but then for the last split second before it cuts off, it goes to Fenlon who looks like he is about to give an interview.

Maybe it's a mistake and they have just cut it off too early and it'll get sorted in the morning.

FranckSuzy
13-04-2013, 11:59 PM
Just watched the highlights on Sky. He was wiping away tears and his eyes were pretty red/watery. Whatever you may think about his tactics etc, he cares :agree:

Higgy115
14-04-2013, 12:05 AM
Wind my neck in, aye good yin, We were terrible as we have been for most of the season and only the inexperience of the Falkirk players and the fact they tired so much late on to let us take control. Most other teams would have punished us even more and buried us good and proper before then.

I'm not detracting from the achievement of our players coming back from 3 down but we were piss poor from front to back for most of the game and should never have been in that position.

Good game and great result in the end but we were poor and Falkirk deserved more, if you can't acknowledge that then it's you who needs to reign your neck in.

I don't give a flyer what "most other teams" would have done, we were playing Falkirk today and in the end did what we set to do in getting to the final. Agree with you 100% that the first half was unacceptable but without talking in cliches the game lasts 90/120 minutes. Enjoy what we have achieved today.

Higgy115
14-04-2013, 12:19 AM
Just watched the highlights on Sky. He was wiping away tears and his eyes were pretty red/watery. Whatever you may think about his tactics etc, he cares :agree:

He was definitely bubbling there, brought a wee tear to my eye as well.

Higgy115
14-04-2013, 12:29 AM

I don't give a flyer what "most other teams" would have done, we were playing Falkirk today and in the end did what we set to do in getting to the final. Agree with you 100% that the first half was unacceptable but without talking in cliches the game lasts 90/120 minutes. Enjoy what we have achieved today.

I'm_cabbaged
14-04-2013, 06:12 AM

Bet he doesn't care as much as most of us and we'll never be football managers either ;)

hibee_girl
14-04-2013, 06:55 AM

Not surprising he was emotional, he was probably more drained than anyone!

DaveF
14-04-2013, 07:09 AM
Harris made the comment, so it obviously got to them......

I'm not taking issue with that. I didn't boo or moan at any point when Falkirk were turning us over or at HT. I just sat there in disbelief.

My point was the OP highlighting one line where it appears he is putting the blame on the fans for the terrible opening 45 when in fact maybe the negative tension stemmed from the dreadful attitude of the players?

Alfred E Newman
14-04-2013, 07:45 AM
Not surprising he was emotional, he was probably more drained than anyone!

He couldn`t have been more drained than me. I had to dry my eyes when Doyle equalised. From the depths of dispair at half time to the emotion of the eventual victory. When you sit down in the cold light of day and analyse it you have to give Fenlon credit for making the changes that saved the game but he also has to carry the can for starting the game so defensively against what was a very inexperienced mid table 1st Div side. Hopefully this experience will change his tactical outlook from now on but I would doubt it .

Billy Whizz
14-04-2013, 07:49 AM
Hi ,

Cheers

Suggest you download the BBC Scotland football podcast. It's on there

down-the-slope
14-04-2013, 08:01 AM
watching replay now...Pat looks shell shocked out on the pitch...very drained and looking liked he has visibly aged (much like the rest of us)....interview still to come

down-the-slope
14-04-2013, 08:08 AM
McPake ... we were an absolute shambles from the start (he looks pretty flat - knows the truth) giving Alex Harris the credit for still wanting the ball even when 0-3 down when others didnt.......

lots of truths said at HT....

hibsbollah
14-04-2013, 08:10 AM
McPake looks in pain most of the time these days. Whether its his back or not i dont know.

down-the-slope
14-04-2013, 08:16 AM
McPake looks in pain most of the time these days. Whether its his back or not i dont know.

:agree: I won't be popular with some saying this...but I actually hope his injury means he can't play as dropping the Captain is a hard one ...but he has been average at best and very poor at worst for weeks now....

No Fenlon interview on live Beeb programme :confused:

JimBHibees
14-04-2013, 08:30 AM
PF looked very emotional on the pitch after the game.

The Harp Awakes
14-04-2013, 08:46 AM
He couldn`t have been more drained than me. I had to dry my eyes when Doyle equalised. From the depths of dispair at half time to the emotion of the eventual victory. When you sit down in the cold light of day and analyse it you have to give Fenlon credit for making the changes that saved the game but he also has to carry the can for starting the game so defensively against what was a very inexperienced mid table 1st Div side. Hopefully this experience will change his tactical outlook from now on but I would doubt it .

Couldn't agree more. If we were playing Celtic or a decent SPL side the starting formation might have been acceptable, but against Falkirk playing 1 up front in such a big pitch as Hampden is just plain crazy. It allowed 38 year old Daren Dods to stroll through the first half as Griffiths was isolated.

We really must start games in a more positive frame of mind and the Manager has a massive part to play in that.

Having said all that, reaching 2 Scottish Cup Finals in successive years is some achievement given our record in the competition and you have to give Fenlon credit for that. I hope you analyse every second of that 120 minutes Paddy, and make sure that when we take the field for the Cup Final, we have much a more positive formation and instil a much more positive frame of mind in the players:wink:

.Sean.
14-04-2013, 09:10 AM
No wonder he was teary, if it hadn't been for his players digging him out a hole he'd have been straight out of a job.

InterviewLoI
14-04-2013, 09:26 AM
This may not exactly be a TV interview but Fenlon spoke to The League of Ireland Interview Show yesterday and next Sunday it will be on Dublin Community TV's "Sunday Sports Show"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcAotkZHaEk

joe breezy
14-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Maybe of the people who left early stayed away forever it would be good for the club. Hibs support can be quite abusive.

Hibs should do more to get people who support the team along.
Get kids along and bolster the Section 43 lot.

500miles
14-04-2013, 12:14 PM

We twice as many chances on goal as them, 2 stonewall pens turned down, one saved, one goal incorrectly chopped for offside. We even missed a penalty, yet continued to persevere.

If anything our second half display deserved more. We were absolutely on fire in that second half, for the whole second half, not just in the dying minutes when falkirk may, or may not have been, "tired". Anyway, I keep hearing how unfit, and unathletic our team are, surely we were at least as tired as them? This wasn't a flukey goal, or a incorrect decision in our favour that got us through, it was our own quality that won us the game, eventually.

Falkirk got 3 goals from shocking marking from our midfield. Sibbald should have been marshalled by Claros, Cairney just totally lost his man for the second, and gave the ball away for the third when they were on top of us.

It's a kick up the arse for the players who expected an easy day, an indication to Pat that players like Handling, Doyle and Harris will win us games, and it shows that we have the desire to come back from even the most daunting deficits.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Read in the paper that there was a bust up in our dressing room, thomson mcpake LOB and PF all going radge and putting there points accross according to Leigh in his interview.

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Second half showing was magnificent but surely if has to be an issue that the manager was all but out of the door before the sleeves were rolled up?

lord bunberry
14-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Maybe of the people who left early stayed away forever it would be good for the club. Hibs support can be quite abusive.

Hibs should do more to get people who support the team along.
Get kids along and bolster the Section 43 lot.

I left early but I wasn't abusing anyone. I left because I was disgusted at what I was watching, it turns out I was wrong to leave but I don't need people like you judging when I should and shouldn't go and see hibs. I've been following hibs for nearly 30 years and I can say for the most part they haven't deserved the loyalty that me and others like me have shown.

Baldy Foghorn
14-04-2013, 01:10 PM
I'm not taking issue with that. I didn't boo or moan at any point when Falkirk were turning us over or at HT. I just sat there in disbelief.

My point was the OP highlighting one line where it appears he is putting the blame on the fans for the terrible opening 45 when in fact maybe the negative tension stemmed from the dreadful attitude of the players?

You are right, there was a lot of negative tension in the first half.....Good to see a bit of fight in dressing room at half time, when players nearly came to blows.....

The second half, we started great, and the fans rallied round the players....Not much negativity in Second half from what I could hear, each to a man urging the team on......Really think the fans helped the team, and the team responded by throwing everything at Falkirk....I really don't think I will see the likes again, to be 3 down at half time, and turn it around as we did....The atmosphere at the death was electric, with the scarves aloft.......

Maybe just maybe it will be our year.....

18Craig75
14-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Haven't been able to find the McPake interview, any links to it?

FranckSuzy
14-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Haven't been able to find the McPake interview, any links to it?

Can't remember the exact time but it's near the end of this http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?261814-Semi-Final-AWESOMENESS

Beefster
14-04-2013, 06:10 PM

Some supporters who stayed were quite abusive.

You'd think we were bursting at the seams with supporters, the amount of times some posters on here like to suggest some of them should just piss off.

Speedway
14-04-2013, 08:56 PM

Because I've already done it.

That's your assumption projected onto it, not my intent.

sleeping giant
14-04-2013, 10:16 PM
Suggest you download the BBC Scotland football podcast. It's on there

Thanks very much for that mate :not worth

Now . not being ungrateful but is there not a video of his interview anywhere ? cant find it on sky or on BBC :dunno:

sleeping giant
14-04-2013, 10:34 PM
This may not exactly be a TV interview but Fenlon spoke to The League of Ireland Interview Show yesterday and next Sunday it will be on Dublin Community TV's "Sunday Sports Show"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcAotkZHaEk

That was excellent mate thatnks very much.

Would much rather listen to you than some of the bellends in the Scottish media.

Well done :not worth