PDA

View Full Version : Papering over the Grand Canyon...

Nailrod
13-04-2013, 03:37 PM
:agree:

Beefster
13-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Big time.

Wotherspiniesta
13-04-2013, 05:07 PM
We're in the SC Final.

Lighten up FFS.

Heedersnvolleys
13-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Agree

God Petrie
13-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Who cared

Vault Boy
We're in the SC Final.

Lighten up FFS.

hibeedonald
Not going to be delusional and predict us to win it but at least a Eurotrip is on the cards!

hibs0666
13-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Big time.

Hibs greatest comeback ever? Was a privilege to be there to witness it.

hibsbollah
13-04-2013, 05:14 PM
It was a legendary comeback. At the moment that's all I care about:party:

TornadoHibby
13-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Big time.

:top marks

sleeping giant
13-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Yer glad we are in another final though aye ?

Phil D. Rolls
13-04-2013, 06:29 PM
It was certainly wallpaper paster for me, when Griffiths scored his second. :agree:

scoopyboy
13-04-2013, 06:37 PM

Do you think we should withdraw from the tournament ?

Interesting to see you agreed with yourself regarding the nodding smiley.

Hiber-nation
13-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Do you think we should withdraw from the tournament ?

Interesting to see you agreed with yourself regarding the nodding smiley.

Nothin worse on here than that. "I agree with me" WTF???

Best 2nd half performance for ages and we're there, that's all I want to think about just now.

CallumLaidlaw
13-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Wow the first 45 were bad. But so what. We're in the cup final. It was a day I'll never forget

JimBHibees
13-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Wow the first 45 were bad. But so what. We're in the cup final. It was a day I'll never forget

Yep we got out of jail big time but bottom line who cares we are in the final and that is a great achievement given the very difficult draw we have had. The final is 6 weeks away we can improve and who knows, only 3 teams can now win the cup and we should be delighted we will be one of 2 who do it.

Sir David Gray
13-04-2013, 06:53 PM
We just came back from 3-0 down in a Scottish Cup semi final.

Could we not have at least one night of positivity before we get back to drawing the knives out?

hibsbollah
13-04-2013, 06:57 PM

Could we not have at least one night of positivity before we get back to drawing the knives out?

Ive just watched the 10minutes highlights and still getting my head round it. Unbelievable, legendary comeback. Like Liverpool vs AC Meelan but with more spectacular goals :greengrin

Eyrie
13-04-2013, 07:10 PM
It's only papering over the Gran Canyon if Fenlon doesn't learn from the second half how Hibs should be playing - a pacey 4-4-2.

Nailrod
14-04-2013, 06:16 AM
Yer glad we are in another final though aye ?

I'll be honest, I'm ambivalent about it. The money will come in handy, but right now all I can see is another horsing, whether it's Celts or Arabs. Our team is hopeless and our tactics are hopeless. We went three down in 30 mins against First Division opposition. Credit to the team for coming back, but there's no way we would have done that against SPL top-six opposition, and besides it would probably have been 4 or 5 by HT.

I wasn't glad we were in the final last year because I could see what was coming. We didn't face a single top-six SPL side on the road to the final ("just as well" or "unfortunately" depending on your point of view, since our record against them over the season was played 21, won 1). I don't need to remind anybody what happened when we eventually did.

The same applies this year, although the opposition has been slightly tougher. Our record against top-six is marginally better, but only because of early season results. Our current form (by which I mean form going back five months now) is every bit as woeful as last year.

Hence the thread title. For those who were irritated by the smiley, I put it in because I had nothing to add to the title, but the forum won't accept empty posts. I would have used an expressionless one if there was such a thing. I should have used a full stop.

Onion
14-04-2013, 06:32 AM

If we actually go on to win the thing, that comeback will become legendary. Hibs fans are not daft, we know we have frailties and got things badly wrong in the first half, however, you cannot deny Pat Fenlon has taken 2 very average Hibs teams to successive Cup Finals and - whether by force or design - orchestrated the most amazing comeback Hampden has seen in years.

CallumLaidlaw
14-04-2013, 06:34 AM
I'll be honest, I'm ambivalent about it. The money will come in handy, but right now all I can see is another horsing, whether it's Celts or Arabs. Our team is hopeless and our tactics are hopeless. We went three down in 30 mins against First Division opposition. Credit to the team for coming back, but there's no way we would have done that against SPL top-six opposition, and besides it would probably have been 4 or 5 by HT.

I wasn't glad we were in the final last year because I could see what was coming. We didn't face a single top-six SPL side on the road to the final ("just as well" or "unfortunately" depending on your point of view, since our record against them over the season was played 21, won 1). I don't need to remind anybody what happened when we eventually did.

The same applies this year, although the opposition has been slightly tougher. Our record against top-six is marginally better, but only because of early season results. Our current form (by which I mean form going back five months now) is every bit as woeful as last year.

Hence the thread title. For those who were irritated by the smiley, I put it in because I had nothing to add to the title, but the forum won't accept empty posts. I would have used an expressionless one if there was such a thing. I should have used a full stop.

We now have a 1 off game tho against one of 2 sides that we have shown we can deal with this season. This Hibs team has beaten Celtic, and has been a dodgy penalty away from beating and completely outplaying Dundee Utd. Our 2nd half performance would have beaten most SPL club so right now I'll focus on that, enjoy today's other Scottish Cup Semi, then look forward to our 4th trip to Hampden in 2 years.

RIP
14-04-2013, 06:35 AM

I agree with the posters who are still on cloud nine and don't want to come down. But when we do we need to ask ourselves as a support whether we are forceful enough in putting pressure on the current stewards of the club to explain their continuing underperformance.

One striker up top for 5 months is bad enough. But AT HAMPDEN AGAINST AN SFL SIDE? WTF!!!

Time we asked those responsible for hiring these coaches and players why they see that as acceptable.

hibsbollah
14-04-2013, 06:47 AM
I agree with the posters who are still on cloud nine and don't want to come down. But when we do we need to ask ourselves as a support whether we are forceful enough in putting pressure on the current stewards of the club to explain their continuing underperformance.

One striker up top for 5 months is bad enough. But AT HAMPDEN AGAINST AN SFL SIDE? WTF!!!

Time we asked those responsible for hiring these coaches and players why they see that as acceptable.

Celebrate. Good times. Come on.

:party:

Onion
14-04-2013, 06:57 AM

Understand what you're saying, but it's a defeatist attitude - the exact problem Hibs FC have been afflicted with over the years and that we need to shed. It sounds like you'd have Hibs apologise for stumbling through to the Final and just hand the trophy to Celtic or Utd. The highlighted bit is tosh. Aberdeen, Hearts and Killie is a tough route to Hampden.

NorthNorfolkHFC
14-04-2013, 07:02 AM
Woke up this morning and thought yesterday was a dream. Absolutely delighted.
However we were shown that football in Scotland is all about athleticism and pace: two things that Falkirk had in abundance. I hope Pat learns from this. Young Harris changed the game for us for that reason.
Secondly, I'd be enquiring about lyle Taylor. He looks the part and would score a rake in the SPL.

Caversham Green
14-04-2013, 07:06 AM
The Grand Canyon is 18 miles wide and a mile deep in places. Papering over it would be a massive achievement and coming back from 3 down in a cup semi ain't too shabby either, so well done Pat and the boys.

Now let's get solidly behind them for the final. If you're scared of getting beat don't go.

hibsbollah
14-04-2013, 07:10 AM
We CAN paper that canyon. Believe :agree:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/22138073#asset

CallumLaidlaw
14-04-2013, 07:13 AM
We CAN paper that canyon. Believe :agree:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/22138073#asset

Just sitting down to watch the full match now.

Nailrod
14-04-2013, 07:15 AM
We now have a 1 off game tho against one of 2 sides that we have shown we can deal with this season. This Hibs team has beaten Celtic, and has been a dodgy penalty away from beating and completely outplaying Dundee Utd. Our 2nd half performance would have beaten most SPL club so right now I'll focus on that, enjoy today's other Scottish Cup Semi, then look forward to our 4th trip to Hampden in 2 years.
As you say, and I take some comfort from the fact that at least it's not Hearts or Rangers. If I was in the country I might even go, although I abandoned Hibs at Hampden after Dundee United in 2005. By that point I hadn't seen Hibs win at Hampden for thirty-two years. There had been more beatings, thrashings, and disappointments than I care to remember. I just couldn't take it any more.

Youngsters who think that it gets easier as you get older can forget it. It gets worse. So as Hibs supporters, you can look forward to decades of increasing pain.

hibbybob
14-04-2013, 07:51 AM
It's only papering over the Gran Canyon if Fenlon doesn't learn from the second half how Hibs should be playing - a pacey 4-4-2.

Spot on! Fenton ****ed up and eventually got away with it thanks to great second half performance sparked by a change in tactics and personnel. The important thing is that he learns from the experience and doesn't repeat his mistakes'

I really think he'll learn from yesterday!

RIP
14-04-2013, 07:59 AM
Celebrate. Good times. Come on.

:party:

Don't worry G - I'm milking it at the minute. We just need to focus on the LWT partnership and see if STF and Rod will come out of hiding and state their success criteria for our football club.

hibsbollah
14-04-2013, 08:00 AM
Spot on! Fenton ****ed up and eventually got away with it thanks to great second half performance sparked by a change in tactics and personnel. The important thing is that he learns from the experience and doesn't repeat his mistakes'

I really think he'll learn from yesterday!

We've had as many crap performances this season with a 442 as we have with a 451. The whole formation obsession is a red herring IMO. Its about individual performances. Robertson and Cairney (who looks not just unfit, butunwell these days) would still have been disasters in that first 45 whatever shape they were playing in.

hibsbollah
14-04-2013, 08:01 AM
Don't worry G - I'm milking it at the minute. We just need to focus on the LWT partnership and see if STF and Rod will come out of hiding and state their success criteria for our football club.

Best of luck with all that mate :aok:

CallumLaidlaw
14-04-2013, 08:12 AM
The thoughts of a Falkirk fan on their forum -

Anyway, huge credit to Fenlon for changes to personnel and tactics. He won Hibs the game today,

JimBHibees
14-04-2013, 08:35 AM
We've had as many crap performances this season with a 442 as we have with a 451. The whole formation obsession is a red herring IMO. Its about individual performances. Robertson and Cairney (who looks not just unfit, butunwell these days) would still have been disasters in that first 45 whatever shape they were playing in.

Agree we played 442 against St Johnstone and were horrific. It is down to performances and a 442 starting with Robertson and Cairney would have been a shambles. How bad did Robertson play in saying that he hasnt really been starting recently so surprised he was put into this game. Felt a bit sorry fro him to be taken off so early as Cairney probably should have gone off early, another who hasnt started recently.

There seems to be some real confidence/fitness/sharpness and spirit issues in the squad at the moment. With Doyle going and possibly Spoon added to Sparky, Claros, Deegan etc also there is real uncertainty also.

NAE NOOKIE
14-04-2013, 09:51 AM
I'm as delighted as anybody that we have made the final and I can understand why some folk dont want to see a 'negative' thread so soon after what is as close to a 45 minute miracle as I have ever seen.

But lets face it ... if that game had finished at half time this board would have exploded due to an overload of the swear filter. We were so bad in that first half that I for one couldnt believe what I was watching 'again!' ... In fact the truth is that but for a good save by Williams and poor finishing by the Falkirk player we could have been 4 down at the break, not 3.

The truth is that PF was more or less forced to go 442 and though I agree that we have played just as badly with that formation at times this season, to start with one striker at Hampden against a division 1 team must have said to Falkirk, hey we are afraid of you, come & have a go, which is just what they did.

If we replicate that first 45 minutes against celtic or Dundee Utd in 6 weeks time there will be no way back. As a Hibs fan of long standing I never expect Hibs to go to Hampden and win, no matter the opposition, but I want to see us enter the game with a fighting chance and unless we can get performances like the ones we have seen in the last few months ... especially like the ones v St Johnstone or that first 45 yesterday we can forget it.

Having said all that hats off to the team for yesterday after 1:45 pm .... a brilliant 2nd half which I for one certainly never saw coming.

inglisavhibs
14-04-2013, 10:13 AM
As you say, and I take some comfort from the fact that at least it's not Hearts or Rangers. If I was in the country I might even go, although I abandoned Hibs at Hampden after Dundee United in 2005. By that point I hadn't seen Hibs win at Hampden for thirty-two years. There had been more beatings, thrashings, and disappointments than I care to remember. I just couldn't take it any more.

Youngsters who think that it gets easier as you get older can forget it. It gets worse. So as Hibs supporters, you can look forward to decades of increasing pain.
Sounds like you better stay out the country:greengrin what a depressing outlook on Hibs. I take it you missed us winning the League Cup against Dunfermline? You are either a supporter through thick and thin or best not to bother. Watched some great Hibs teams and far more crap Hibs teams since 1963 and although we were absolutely useless in the first half it will still be a game I will remember for a long time. Cheer up!

weonlywon6-2
14-04-2013, 10:28 AM

cant believe some of the comments.No wonder we struggle,negative all the time.

Often wonder what some fans want and what do they actually think we are capable of in our country where finance has burst its bubble:rolleyes:

Borderhibbie76
14-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Cant believe some of the comments on here FFS we r in back to back cup finals for first time in a century and we might, just might win this thing!! Yes the first 45 were horrendous and I was as disgusted as anybody but come on, we were tremendous in second half and the players showed they care and were full of energy, fight and passion! If we can get that for 90 mins on 26 may then who knows???

Fergus52
14-04-2013, 12:09 PM

Statement in bold says it all really.

Kato
14-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Understand what you're saying, but it's a defeatist attitude - the exact problem Hibs FC have been afflicted with over the years and that we need to shed. It sounds like you'd have Hibs apologise for stumbling through to the Final and just hand the trophy to Celtic or Utd. The highlighted bit is tosh. Aberdeen, Hearts and Killie is a tough route to Hampden.

Grumpy drawers

Fergus52
14-04-2013, 12:14 PM
The thoughts of a Falkirk fan on their forum -

Brilliant, that's so typical of hibs.

We pull of a comeback like that and then the opposition give our manager more credit than we do.

Bishop Hibee
14-04-2013, 12:18 PM
For Hibs to come back from 3 goals down against any team on any occasion is a cause for celebration. If we play like we did in the second half we'd give any team in Scotland a game. If we played like we did in the first half East Stirling would beat us.

The midfield did not get forward to support Griffiths in the first half and haven't for most of the season. Fenlon was crackers to play 4-5-1. He should think about playing Harris in the middle of the park as he has the energy and can pick a pass going forward which none of the rest of the midfield can.

Iggy Pope
14-04-2013, 12:56 PM

Sorry, but I have to ask. If you hadn't seen Hibs win at Hampden between 1973 and 2005, exactly how many times did you see us there?
You sound like a bogey my friend and you've missed a few good days here and there.

greenlex
14-04-2013, 01:06 PM

Another that needs to go watch rugby I think.

AndyB_70
14-04-2013, 01:23 PM

Couldn't agree more. We are crap. We should never be 3-0 down to a 1st division team. We did not make the top 6 and we have been honking in so many matches this season. Fenlon's signing are dreadful and as for his tactics......aaarrgghhh. Yes we are in a cup final but can you really see its beating Utd or Celtic on our recent form?

AndyB_70
14-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Cant believe some of the comments on here FFS we r in back to back cup finals for first time in a century and we might, just might win this thing!! Yes the first 45 were horrendous and I was as disgusted as anybody but come on, we were tremendous in second half and the players showed they care and were full of energy, fight and passion! If we can get that for 90 mins on 26 may then who knows???

It's not just the first 45minutes yesterday that bothers me. It's the fact that we have been rubbish for most of this season. So slow going forward. No linking between defence, midfield and attack. One striker isolated in so many games and we just punt a high ball to him expecting miracles. Granted sometimes he does make them happen.
If anyone thinks we are playing good football is watching a different team to me every week.

Jones28
14-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Classic .net, fenlon masterminds the best comeback most of us have ever seen and all he's doing is papering over cracks...

Paisley Hibby
14-04-2013, 02:04 PM

Completely agree with this. The second half showed that our long run of crap form has not been about having poor players but their being asked to play Fenlon's mind numbing timid system. Freed from that they showed what they can do.

I said last week on another thread that if we win the cup this year it will be DESPITE having Fenlon as manager and nothing that happened yesterday has changed my mind. He's a decent guy and all that but I'd still be happy to see him binned and replaced before the final with a manager who can inspire our players to get the best out of them at Hampden. It shouldn't take a humiliating first half humping from an SFL1 side to do that. Tin hat well and truly on :tin hat:

Kato
14-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Couldn't agree more. We are crap. We should never be 3-0 down to a 1st division team. We did not make the top 6 and we have been honking in so many matches this season. Fenlon's signing are dreadful and as for his tactics......aaarrgghhh. Yes we are in a cup final but can you really see its beating Utd or Celtic on our recent form?

With fans like you who needs the Jambos?

Beefster
14-04-2013, 02:20 PM

Do you think he puts more money into the club than you? If so, Hibs need him.

Paisley Hibby
14-04-2013, 02:26 PM

No need for that mate. He's entitled to his opinion and FWIW I agree with him.

Kato
14-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Do you think he puts more money into the club than you? If so, Hibs need him.

Do you measure everything by money?

We can be crap and we can be good, as illustrated yesterday.

People who say "hibs are crap" or "Hibs should" get on my thrupny's.

Kato
14-04-2013, 02:45 PM
No need for that mate. He's entitled to his opinion and FWIW I agree with him.

..and I am entitled to mine, no?

Beefster
14-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Do you measure everything by money?

We can be crap and we can be good, as illustrated yesterday.

People who say "hibs are crap" or "Hibs should" get on my thrupny's.

And folk who play the uberfan card or dismiss supporters for having an opinion get on mine.

If Andy's opinion was formed watching the team every week, he's entitled to air it.

Paisley Hibby
14-04-2013, 04:36 PM
..and I am entitled to mine, no?

He was expressing an opinion about the team - you were expressing an opinion about him.

Kato
14-04-2013, 05:02 PM
And folk who play the uberfan card or dismiss supporters for having an opinion get on mine.

I can live with that. I can also live with you calling me an uberfan or whatever term you want to drag out although I'd never consider myself one.

If Andy's opinion was formed watching the team every week, he's entitled to air it.

...and I am entitled to respond.......

Kato
14-04-2013, 05:05 PM
He was expressing an opinion about the team - you were expressing an opinion about him.

...and now there are opinions being expressed about me...what's next? Invade Poland? Concentration camps? Growing a thicker skin?

If anyone want to express an opinion about anything be prepared to have disagreements and personal assessments.

NAE NOOKIE
14-04-2013, 05:30 PM

Bang on mate.

The whole thing that needs to change about us as a support is our never ending ability, willingness, call it what you will, to forget weeks of mediocrity on the back of one admittedly fantastic 45 minutes of football. I would have included myself in that camp up until last May.

The fact is that miracle come back or not ... why the hell did we end up in that position in the first place? Because for the second time running at Hampden we entered a match knowing that we would have to battle hard and play well from the outset and instead were second to every ball, created nothing and had a manager who for not the first time said after the match that he had "got his tactics wrong"

And yet, according to Pat Fenlon, he has seen Falkirk a number of times this season and was well aware of what they could do. If that was so, how come they were able to cut us up through the middle of the park time after time in the first half?

As for tactics ..... If you are going to play one striker on his own you have to be able to support him from the midfield, something Hibs never manage to do in the league, never mind on Saturday. Our lack of forward running from midfield areas is nothing short of woefull and makes it easy to defend against us. Only when we had no choice but to chase the game did the players show that they actually know how to play constructive attacking football.

The fact that this never happens usually must be down to a manager who is over commited to worrying about what the opposition can do, as opposed to making them worry about what we can do.

As I type this we now know that its Celtic in the final .... that guarantees us another 90 minutes of hoping that LG can pull off a moment of magic as he ploughs a lone furrow up front. Frankly I would rather we played with two strikers on the day and had a real go from the outset.

Its not being negative to recognize the fact that we need a drastic upturn in our overall form if we are to have any chance on the 26th of May.

Paisley Hibby
14-04-2013, 05:40 PM
...and now there are opinions being expressed about me...what's next? Invade Poland? Concentration camps? Growing a thicker skin?

If anyone want to express an opinion about anything be prepared to have disagreements and personal assessments.

Not by me.

I'm all for opinions and disagreements about them. However, while I'm not quite sure what you mean by "personal assessments", that doesn't sound to me like something that has a place on a football fans' website. Just my opinion of course :greengrin

Jonnyboy
14-04-2013, 07:21 PM

Are we to take this seriously or tongue in cheek G?

Phil D. Rolls
14-04-2013, 08:15 PM
IIRC in the 80s we made it to Hampden twice. One was a semi final thrashing by Celtic - only notable for me, because the Hibs fans went into the Celtic end, and mixed it up - the first time I had seen "casual" activity.

The other was a League Cup final against Aberdeen, we were 3-0 down after 30 minutes and Fergie's team then played out the clock The semi final had been a two leg affair at ER and Ibrox.

Since the millenium we have been to Hampden at least ten times, by my calculation. It's time to get a bit of perspective, Hibs are one of Scotland's bigger teams. Yesterday's first half was frustrating, and like everyone else, I thought Hibs + Scottish Cup = new ways to screw up.

I mentioned the 80s, there were times that things were so bad, we were applauding Hibs getting corners; every point we gained was like a victory. To get to Hampden at all, was like winning the European Cup.

Now, the present team, which has achieved something we haven't managed since the 20s, is getting barracked for reaching the Scottish Cup Final. It has taken massive courage from the club to face down its demons. What happened in the second half yesterday, was one of the most spirited performances from any group of Hibs players.

These are the players who faced Hearts in the 3rd round, and had the bottle to get over the psychological burden. There must be something there that Fenlon is tapping into to get the passion out of them.

We might not win the Scottish Cup, but we've got a better chance than every other club in Scotland bar one. So, for goodness sake, just enjoy the occasion like we did in the 80s.

hibsbollah
14-04-2013, 08:29 PM
IIRC in the 80s we made it to Hampden twice. One was a semi final thrashing by Celtic - only notable for me, because the Hibs fans went into the Celtic end, and mixed it up - the first time I had seen "casual" activity.

The other was a League Cup final against Aberdeen, we were 3-0 down after 30 minutes and Fergie's team then played out the clock The semi final had been a two leg affair at ER and Ibrox.

Since the millenium we have been to Hampden at least ten times, by my calculation. It's time to get a bit of perspective, Hibs are one of Scotland's bigger teams. Yesterday's first half was frustrating, and like everyone else, I thought Hibs + Scottish Cup = new ways to screw up.

I mentioned the 80s, there were times that things were so bad, we were applauding Hibs getting corners; every point we gained was like a victory. To get to Hampden at all, was like winning the European Cup.

Now, the present team, which has achieved something we haven't managed since the 20s, is getting barracked for reaching the Scottish Cup Final. It has taken massive courage from the club to face down its demons. What happened in the second half yesterday, was one of the most spirited performances from any group of Hibs players.

These are the players who faced Hearts in the 3rd round, and had the bottle to get over the psychological burden. There must be something there that Fenlon is tapping into to get the passion out of them.

We might not win the Scottish Cup, but we've got a better chance than every other club in Scotland bar one. So, for goodness sake, just enjoy the occasion like we did in the 80s.

:agree: good post. Historical perspective is important.

Baldy Foghorn
14-04-2013, 08:32 PM

:top marks:top marks

Totally agree.....

Kato
14-04-2013, 08:35 PM
There must be something there that Fenlon is tapping into to get the passion out of them.

Exactly.

matty_f
15-04-2013, 12:02 AM

Really enjoyed this post. :agree:

You know, you won't find a Hibby that wouldn't agree that the first half was unacceptable on Saturday. The players and the manager knew it, and said it as well. But football's not played over 45 minutes. As it happened we had to play out 120 minutes, and for 75 of those minutes we were by far the better team. We deserved to go through.

Fenlon, while deserving of criticism for not getting the players out the blocks for the first half, deserves credit for lifting the players and turning it around. As you mention, FR, the players too deserve massive credit for turning it around. After what happened last time we were at Hampden, it would have been easy for the players to bottle it altogether and end up on the wrong end of an absolute hiding. They didn't, each of them stood up to be counted and fought for everything and deservedly went through.

Just watching the game again this evening, and seeing every ball that went out of play chased by a Hibs player to get the game started again, after each goal going to get the ball...

As someone said, if people can't enjoy a result and game like that, then football's not for them.

Russ
15-04-2013, 05:13 AM

You and speedway should get together, his posts on the match thread are similar in style to yours. And if you hadn't seen Hibs win at Hampden for 32 years you must have been selective in the games you went to.

whiskyhibby
15-04-2013, 05:51 AM
Hibs greatest comeback ever? Was a privilege to be there to witness it.

Well said !!!

Phil MaGlass
15-04-2013, 07:06 AM

You know, you won't find a Hibby that wouldn't agree that the first half was unacceptable on Saturday. The players and the manager knew it, and said it as well. But football's not played over 45 minutes. As it happened we had to play out 120 minutes, and for 75 of those minutes we were by far the better team. We deserved to go through.

Fenlon, while deserving of criticism for not getting the players out the blocks for the first half, deserves credit for lifting the players and turning it around. As you mention, FR, the players too deserve massive credit for turning it around. After what happened last time we were at Hampden, it would have been easy for the players to bottle it altogether and end up on the wrong end of an absolute hiding. They didn't, each of them stood up to be counted and fought for everything and deservedly went through.

Just watching the game again this evening, and seeing every ball that went out of play chased by a Hibs player to get the game started again, after each goal going to get the ball...

As someone said, if people can't enjoy a result and game like that, then football's not for them.

Thats the problem though, far too many times this season the players and fenlon have said their play was unacceptable but it still happens and regularly, you only had to look at the first half of the semi to see it.Fenlon got out of jail on saturday, he was forced into the changes and it worked, while I am pleased to be coming back for another final( I wont be holding my breath for a win), I can only hope he has learned from the first half debacle, but as we have ALL seen so many times this eason he does´nt really learn.

weonlywon6-2
15-04-2013, 07:19 AM

:top marksExactly

500miles
15-04-2013, 12:00 PM
he does´nt really learn.

Folk used to say that about Mixu. It was garbage then too.

JimBHibees
15-04-2013, 12:12 PM

Brilliant post. You do get the impression that if we win the cup next month there will be posts such as "great we won the cup but".

Lets enjoy it and support the team brilliantly in the final.

Big Frank
15-04-2013, 12:53 PM
:top marks:top marks

Totally agree.....

Very well put gents.

Big Frank
15-04-2013, 12:56 PM

meant to quote this post as well as matty's post

NAE NOOKIE
15-04-2013, 05:49 PM

I enjoyed the second half and full time result as much as anybody. I cant see why peoples justified concerns about our recent performances and the first half on Saturday means they didnt enjoy what they witnessed in the end.

We will be playing celtic in the final, not a mid table first division team .... I want us to win the bloody thing and would like Hibs, if at all possible, to address these poor, poor efforts that pop up every other game Hibs play. The second half effort from the team was as good and whole hearted an attempt by a team to turn a game around as I have seen.

If we face a same or similar situation at half time on the 26th of May there will be no way back .... I dont want to see that happen.

Thats not being miserable or not enjoying a fantastic result ...... Its just being realistic and wanting Hibs to be set up as strongly as possible to take on a club who have beaten Barcelona this season .... I thought the whole ethos of us as fans and Hibs as a club after last May was aimed at that mindset.

Paisley Hibby
15-04-2013, 06:45 PM
I enjoyed the second half and full time result as much as anybody. I cant see why peoples justified concerns about our recent performances and the first half on Saturday means they didnt enjoy what they witnessed in the end.

We will be playing celtic in the final, not a mid table first division team .... I want us to win the bloody thing and would like Hibs, if at all possible, to address these poor, poor efforts that pop up every other game Hibs play. The second half effort from the team was as good and whole hearted an attempt by a team to turn a game around as I have seen.

If we face a same or similar situation at half time on the 26th of May there will be no way back .... I dont want to see that happen.

Thats not being miserable or not enjoying a fantastic result ...... Its just being realistic and wanting Hibs to be set up as strongly as possible to take on a club who have beaten Barcelona this season .... I thought the whole ethos of us as fans and Hibs as a club after last May was aimed at that mindset.

Spot on mate :aok:

Sir David Gray
15-04-2013, 07:22 PM
I'm not being funny but I really hope that there's some people on this thread who will be nowhere near Hampden on 26th May.

Please just watch it at home or in the pub.

hibsbollah
15-04-2013, 07:23 PM
I'm not being funny but I really hope that there's some people on this thread who will be nowhere near Hampden on 26th May.

Name names :agree:

Sir David Gray
15-04-2013, 07:32 PM

I think it's quite evident.

All the negativity I'm hearing about the final is doing my head in. People saying that they're not glad that we're in the final etc!

Seriously? :confused:

I also don't get all this talk about how Saturday's game will have any bearing whatsoever on the final. Of course if we go 3-0 down to Celtic inside half an hour then there will be no way back and we're screwed. That is quite obvious.

But it's a completely different game against a completely different team. There is no logic that says we are going to start that game how we started the game on Saturday.

There's only two teams in the country who can win this year's Scottish Cup and we're one of them.

I can't wait to face Celtic, I've been counting down the days to the final ever since the final whistle on Saturday.

Bring them on.

Kato
15-04-2013, 08:51 PM

Are you the polis or something?

Would you like to be the polis?

NAE NOOKIE
15-04-2013, 09:02 PM

What are you saying then?

That just because there are a number of people who recognize the fact that our chances of winning the cup will be vastly improved if we can get rid of our habit of starting games really slowly they are not worth having as supporters.

or that if you have the cheek to say that improving the attacking set up of the team from the start of a game and not when we are put into the position of having to chase it makes you not worth having as a supporter.

This is not a knee jerk reaction to one half of football, these things have happened in a number of games this season and its something we need to address.

The sort of negativity I hate is from the folk who come on here and give you 20 reasons why they will never be back because the club is doing badly or run down the game in general with no idea of how to save it.

Not burying your head in the sand to the problems that Hibs have to try and overcome to maximize their chances of winning the cup is reasonable, miracle come back or not.

I will be at Hampden on the 26th of May which will be my 4th Scottish cup final .... 6th if you were to count both replays of the 1979 cup final .... If you stick by the team till the bitter end ( whatever the score ) shout them on more than me, sing louder than me or pray harder than me then you will be doing a bloody good job mate. Coz no matter what I post on here during the week, when I go to see the club play I'm behind then 100% from the stands.

Pub my arse.

Sir David Gray
15-04-2013, 09:12 PM
What are you saying then?

That just because there are a number of people who recognize the fact that our chances of winning the cup will be vastly improved if we can get rid of our habit of starting games really slowly they are not worth having as supporters.

or that if you have the cheek to say that improving the attacking set up of the team from the start of a game and not when we are put into the position of having to chase it makes you not worth having as a supporter.

This is not a knee jerk reaction to one half of football, these things have happened in a number of games this season and its something we need to address.

The sort of negativity I hate is from the folk who come on here and give you 20 reasons why they will never be back because the club is doing badly or run down the game in general with no idea of how to save it.

Not burying your head in the sand to the problems that Hibs have to try and overcome to maximize their chances of winning the cup is reasonable, miracle come back or not.

I will be at Hampden on the 26th of May which will be my 4th Scottish cup final .... 6th if you were to count both replays of the 1979 cup final .... If you stick by the team till the bitter end ( whatever the score ) shout them on more than me, sing louder than me or pray harder than me then you will be doing a bloody good job mate. Coz no matter what I post on here during the week, when I go to see the club play I'm behind then 100% from the stands.

Pub my arse.

That's not what I am getting at as that is an indisputable fact.

What I am getting at is there are people who have gone on record on here over the past couple of days as saying that they are not delighted that we're in the final because we're going to lose it anyway.

We can do without that sort of negativity and I hope these people either seriously 'man up' over the next month or so or forget about going to Hampden on the 26th May.

hibsbollah
15-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Are you the polis or something?

Would you like to be the polis?

I ask the questions here, sonny :greengrin

Nakedmanoncrack
15-04-2013, 09:31 PM
That's not what I am getting at as that is an indisputable fact.

What I am getting at is there are people who have gone on record on here over the past couple of days as saying that they are not delighted that we're in the final because we're going to lose it anyway.

We can do without that sort of negativity and I hope these people either seriously 'man up' over the next month or so or forget about going to Hampden on the 26th May.

I must have missed that, why would anyone not be delighted that we are final?

The fact is though that it is the 9th best team v the best team in the country, a points difference of 29, Celtic are odds on favourites, if we win then it will be the biggest cup final shock for decades. That is how big a task it is, That doesn't mean it cant happen, we know we can beat them, we did it a few months ago. But if we are to do so on the biggest stage a lot of things will have to go right, some of those factors are out of our managers & players control, others aren't & its perfectly reasonable to ask questions & air reasonable doubts rather than bury head in the sand & rely on blind, probably misplaced optimism.

Kato
15-04-2013, 09:37 PM
I ask the questions here, sonny :greengrin

Shoaty. Bizzies.

Sir David Gray
15-04-2013, 10:22 PM

The fact is though that it is the 9th best team v the best team in the country, a points difference of 29, Celtic are odds on favourites, if we win then it will be the biggest cup final shock for decades. That is how big a task it is, That doesn't mean it cant happen, we know we can beat them, we did it a few months ago. But if we are to do so on the biggest stage a lot of things will have to go right, some of those factors are out of our managers & players control, others aren't & its perfectly reasonable to ask questions & air reasonable doubts rather than bury head in the sand & rely on blind, probably misplaced optimism.

You'll have to ask those who hold that opinion, it beats me.

I'm perfectly aware that if Celtic play at their best then the chances are, we won't win. They have better players than us. It is a simple fact and one look at the league table will tell you that.

However I am simply objecting to all those people who are basically saying that it's a waste of time getting to the final because we have no chance of winning and we're going to get a repeat, or worse, of last year's result.

I beg to differ on that point and I think if we play to our best then we have a more than decent chance of winning the cup.

Bishop Hibee
15-04-2013, 10:30 PM

Excellent post. Reflecting on the semi, it's games like this that I'll remember fondly 'til the day I die. My 15 year old son's despair turning to joy and disbelief along with my own as we staged the greatest comeback in the club's Scottish Cup history will remain for ever.

Captain Trips
16-04-2013, 08:09 AM
Of course with the delight of reaching another final and a double boost with that now meaning Euorope a few people are now a lot happier with PF and they have a reason to be. I have made my feelings on him known but I am interested some are now saying he deserves more time for reaching final and yes there is an argument there for that but it appears then based on this that our next 5 SPL matches are written off then as a judgement on him?

If told now we lose all 5 but win cup we would all take that but that doesnt happen and we will not know what will happen on May 26th until then and will not know while these games are taking place. I am not suggesting we will win or lose our next few SPL games but I have just got impression of cup final reached so he is ok when IMO there are some important matches that can if we win get us a little more money and momentum.

Incidently from its widest point of 18miles you will require 2880 rolls of wallpaper to go across it.

Hibbyradge
16-04-2013, 08:32 AM
I must say, I do like the paper they've chosen. :agree:

Pat 0-7
16-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Excellent post. Reflecting on the semi, it's games like this that I'll remember fondly 'til the day I die. My 15 year old son's despair turning to joy and disbelief along with my own as we staged the greatest comeback in the club's Scottish Cup history will remain for ever.

Sharing that experience with my sons was one of the highlights of my life, not just my time following Hibs. My middle son asked why I had tears in my eyes when the equalizer went in......he'll learn! I'm tearing up now for feks sake........

:boo hoo:

We can win this cup!!!!!

QMU-1875
16-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Anyone else think that the result of this comeback could be a good run of form? I'm convinced that the players will take an immeasurable amount of confidence from the result and as a result we will hopefully see a good run of form leading up to the cup final!

Pat 0-7
16-04-2013, 08:40 AM
Anyone else think that the result of this comeback could be a good run of form? I'm convinced that the players will take an immeasurable amount of confidence from the result and as a result we will hopefully see a good run of form leading up to the cup final!

I was thinking the same. Could be a big turning point! :thumbsup:

JimBHibees
16-04-2013, 08:58 AM
I think it's quite evident.

All the negativity I'm hearing about the final is doing my head in. People saying that they're not glad that we're in the final etc!

Seriously? :confused:

I also don't get all this talk about how Saturday's game will have any bearing whatsoever on the final. Of course if we go 3-0 down to Celtic inside half an hour then there will be no way back and we're screwed. That is quite obvious.

But it's a completely different game against a completely different team. There is no logic that says we are going to start that game how we started the game on Saturday.

There's only two teams in the country who can win this year's Scottish Cup and we're one of them.

I can't wait to face Celtic, I've been counting down the days to the final ever since the final whistle on Saturday.

Bring them on.

Completely agree. :pfgwa

JimBHibees
16-04-2013, 09:02 AM

Would it be any bigger than Killie, St Mirren and Ross County all beating Celtc deservedly in cups in the last few years. Their performance on Sunday proved beyond doubt they can be got at and Wanyama and his likely replacement being out gives us a fighting chance for sure IMO.

We need to improve for sure however we have 5 weeks and a few games to get up to speed and the motivation of being involved in a cup final squad usually has the habit of improving performance in some players.

BSEJVT
16-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Perversely finsihing bottom 6 might be a good thing interms of building confidence for the cup final.

It is indeed "a funny old game Saint"

Stevie Reid
16-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Whislt they should not be completely overlooked, anyone who chooses to focus on the negative aspects of Saturday at the expense of that amazing comeback really needs to get their priorities sorted so that they may actually enjoy the odd occasions where watching Hibs actually rewards you with something.

At half time we are in turmoil again - surely Fenlon would have gone, and yet again we have a team almost full of losers who could all be cleared out. However, football is a game of fine margins and Saturday could well prove to be a pivotal moment in quite a few careers - Harris has looked like a superstar from his first appearance anyway, but what a performance; similarly Danny Handling didn't half step up when he came on. On the flip side of that, Scott Robertson and Paul Cairney may never recover from their brief appearances, which were significant for all the wrong reasons.

In between all of that is Fenlon - only time will tell if the extra time that Saturday's turn around has bought him will be well used, but we have a chance of winning the cup and even if we don't, the revenue from the run and the extra season tickets sold means we have an excellent chance to strengthen our squad and weaken opposition (like we have done with Liam Craig) with a lot of the quality SPL players who are available at the end of this season.

As others have stated, we are in a cup final and Fenlon is going to be here for a while yeat, so we have a choice - get behind him and the team 100% and hope that we can achieve something amazing, or continue to speculate how bad you think he and/or the team are/will get, and hope that we win the cup despite the misgivings. Seems like an easy choice to me, but this board never ceases to amaze me, and the attitude of many towards Collins, Hughes, and Fenlon as the last 3 managers to achieve something notable shows that there are a ridiculous amount of people who care more about banging the same drum so that they can say that they were right all along, rather than enjoying the fleeting few moments of relative success that come along as a Hibs fan. In short there is nothing bad getting to a final at all and yet we have threads full of negativity on here. Very sad.

Given the size and budget of our club, we are never going to sign complete players or managers who have nothing to learn - people who refuse to believe that managers can learn and improve from their mistakes are denying themselves that crucial element of hope that is essential when supporting a team like ours. I've seen Hibs teams damaged psychologically in the past from losing late goals, 4 goal leads and such like, as well as by that result last May - but maybe, just maybe, we can do the opposite now. This season we have struggled when we have gone behind, maybe now nothing will seem insurmountable given what we have just accomplished. One thing's for sure, the end of the season is going to be a damn sight more interesting than we thought it would be at 12.59 on Saturday.

We have something to look forward to and get excited about - it would be a real shame not to do that.

Stevie Reid
16-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Whislt they should not be completely overlooked, anyone who chooses to focus on the negative aspects of Saturday at the expense of that amazing comeback really needs to get their priorities sorted so that they may actually enjoy the odd occasions where watching Hibs actually rewards you with something.

At half time we are in turmoil again - surely Fenlon would have gone, and yet again we have a team almost full of losers who could all be cleared out. However, football is a game of fine margins and Saturday could well prove to be a pivotal moment in quite a few careers - Harris has looked like a superstar from his first appearance anyway, but what a performance; similarly Danny Handling didn't half step up when he came on. On the flip side of that, Scott Robertson and Paul Cairney may never recover from their brief appearances, which were significant for all the wrong reasons.

In between all of that is Fenlon - only time will tell if the extra time that Saturday's turn around has bought him will be well used, but we have a chance of winning the cup and even if we don't, the revenue from the run and the extra season tickets sold means we have an excellent chance to strengthen our squad and weaken opposition (like we have done with Liam Craig) with a lot of the quality SPL players who are available at the end of this season.

As others have stated, we are in a cup final and Fenlon is going to be here for a while yeat, so we have a choice - get behind him and the team 100% and hope that we can achieve something amazing, or continue to speculate how bad you think he and/or the team are/will get, and hope that we win the cup despite the misgivings. Seems like an easy choice to me, but this board never ceases to amaze me, and the attitude of many towards Collins, Hughes, and Fenlon as the last 3 managers to achieve something notable shows that there are a ridiculous amount of people who care more about banging the same drum so that they can say that they were right all along, rather than enjoying the fleeting few moments of relative success that come along as a Hibs fan. In short there is nothing bad getting to a final at all and yet we have threads full of negativity on here. Very sad.

Given the size and budget of our club, we are never going to sign complete players or managers who have nothing to learn - people who refuse to believe that managers can learn and improve from their mistakes are denying themselves that crucial element of hope that is essential when supporting a team like ours. I've seen Hibs teams damaged psychologically in the past from losing late goals, 4 goal leads and such like, as well as by that result last May - but maybe, just maybe, we can do the opposite now. This season we have struggled when we have gone behind, maybe now nothing will seem insurmountable given what we have just accomplished. One thing's for sure, the end of the season is going to be a damn sight more interesting than we thought it would be at 12.59 on Saturday.

We have something to look forward to and get excited about - it would be a real shame not to do that.

I have corrected one bit to say that 'there is nothing bad about getting to a final at all', as I meant to and not 'there is nothing bad about Saturday at all' - there were bad things about Saturday, obviously!

itslegaltender
16-04-2013, 10:53 AM
As much as the first half was a disgrace, I wouldnt swap the memory of that game for anything. My laddie and I went through every emotion, he was asking to leave at the third goal against, I said to him we would see what happened in the second half first and thank god we did. The joy of that third goal is something I will always remember. My boy turned round to jump on me and found that I had ran down the stairs to the gate and was with a bunch of randoms jumping around.

He joined us down the bottom of the stairs, fathers, sons, brothers, sisters, friends, strangers just celebrating a magical moment together. #hibsclass

Nakedmanoncrack
16-04-2013, 07:24 PM

Would it be any bigger than Killie, St Mirren and Ross County all beating Celtc deservedly in cups in the last few years. Their performance on Sunday proved beyond doubt they can be got at and Wanyama and his likely replacement being out gives us a fighting chance for sure IMO.

We need to improve for sure however we have 5 weeks and a few games to get up to speed and the motivation of being involved in a cup final squad usually has the habit of improving performance in some players.

Scottish Cup final shock- not been any major shocks in last 40 years, Dundee Utd beating Rangers in mid 90s was a surprise result but Utd were a decent team that season, finishing 5th or 6th I think. Dunfermline won it twice I think in the 60s possibly these were shock results? Though this was their glory era, to be honest the one that immediately sprung to my mind was the 1958 final.

Nakedmanoncrack
16-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Actually a bit of research reveals a surprise or two; Dunfermline1968 win was no shock as they were 4th v 12th placed Hearts.

When they won it in 1960 they were 12th beating 4thplace Celtic in final, but the gap between teams was only 8 points.

Most surprising to me was that when we lost to Clyde in 1958 it should haves urprised nobody, they had a much better league season than us.

Clyde beating 2ndplaced Celtic in 1955 though only 6 places below but well adrift of them inpoints most recent ‘shock’ cup final result, I can find.