PDA

View Full Version : Penalty Shootout Question

sleeping giant
11-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Scenario.....

During penalty shootout , guy takes penalty and keeper tips it onto the bar. Ball flies up into the air. Keeper runs away celebrating but ball comes back down , bounces of the ground and into the net.
Is this a goal ?

Remember that this is during a penalty shootout , not a penalty during the game.

Im sure its NOT a goal. My Son disagrees :greengrin

Mikey
11-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Yes, it is.

CallumLaidlaw
11-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Purely a guess but I would say it is a goal. No outside interference to stop the ball going in.

TRC
11-04-2013, 09:21 PM
goal as the ball has not come to a halt or gone out of play. pretty sure

allezsauzee
11-04-2013, 09:21 PM
why is it not a goal? if the keeper pushes it onto the post and it goes in off the post it would be a goal :confused:

Scouse Hibee
11-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Scenario.....

During penalty shootout , guy takes penalty and keeper tips it onto the bar. Ball flies up into the air. Keeper runs away celebrating but ball comes back down , bounces of the ground and into the net.
Is this a goal ?

Remember that this is during a penalty shootout , not a penalty during the game.

Im sure its NOT a goal. My Son disagrees :greengrin

It's a goal as long as the ball has remained in and not crossed the boundary of the pitch, there is a similar an example of this on youtube

Mikey
11-04-2013, 09:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6-4vyrtWd8

sleeping giant
11-04-2013, 09:23 PM
why is it not a goal? if the keeper pushes it onto the post and it goes in off the post it would be a goal :confused:

That would be a goal :greengrin

sleeping giant
11-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Hmmmm. Might wait for some more knowledgeable posters before paying up :greengrin

Mikey
11-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Hmmmm. Might wait for some more knowledgeable posters before paying up :greengrin

Yer cash is safe there then :tee hee:

Mr White
11-04-2013, 09:25 PM
as soon as it hits the bar and stops travelling toward the goal the penalty kick is over was my understanding. if a shoot-out penalty hits the post and goes in off the keeper it does not count for the same reason- once the ball has come back of the bar or post it is a missed penalty i reckon.

edit - not true apparently! my mistaken belief according to wikipedia "The ball may touch the goalkeeper, posts, or crossbar any number of times before going into the net."

sleeping giant
11-04-2013, 09:27 PM
as soon as it hits the bar and stops travelling toward the goal the penalty kick is over was my understanding. if a shoot-out penalty hits the post and goes in off the keeper it does not count for the same reason- once the ball has come back of the bar or post it is a missed penalty i reckon.

This was my understanding and the reason for my confidence in my bet :greengrin

sleeping giant
11-04-2013, 09:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6-4vyrtWd8

Cheers for that Mikey. Proved wrong by the boy again :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
11-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Just off the phone to my mate the referee Craig Thomson, he says it all depends on whether it's against Hibs or not. :greengrin

CallumLaidlaw
11-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Decent quiz app called you're the ref. just found this. 9588

sleeping giant
11-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Just off the phone to my mate the referee Craig Thomson, he says it all depends on whether it's against Hibs or not. :greengrin

:applause: :not worth

heretoday
11-04-2013, 09:50 PM
I can picture Boruc in there. Wagging his finger at opposing fans while the ball spins back behind him into the net!

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-04-2013, 09:54 PM
The Gaffer (http://web.orange.co.uk/article/gaffer/Penalty-shoot-out-laws)

hibbysam
11-04-2013, 10:26 PM
None of these clarify when the ball hits the top of the bar hence spinning, then comes back out but the spin of the ball takes the ball back into the net? To me Id say that when the ball has bounced outside of the goal it's dead... Again could be wrong though!

JMac
12-04-2013, 12:07 AM
As long as there is absolutely no interference with the ball and it goes over the line it counts, has happened, YouTube it

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-04-2013, 12:39 AM
None of these clarify when the ball hits the top of the bar hence spinning, then comes back out but the spin of the ball takes the ball back into the net? To me Id say that when the ball has bounced outside of the goal it's dead... Again could be wrong though!

Post 19 does! :agree:

HibeesLA
12-04-2013, 01:14 AM

There are 2 Laws that deal with this. The one in question here is in Law 14 under "Procedure", it states: "The referee decides when a penalty kick has been completed".

This was brought up in my referee course by someone, and I guess it gets brought up in every course. Even though there is a separate area that deals with "Kicks from the Penalty Mark" under "Procedures to determine the winner of a match or home-and-away", the actual procedure of the kick itself falls under Law 14.

Boyle89
12-04-2013, 01:21 AM
Nobody remember this one? 2:10 in ljungberg takes his pen and it hits the bar and bounces off van der sars back and goes in. Goal given.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIMc1Ltp0HE

Pete
12-04-2013, 01:44 AM

I don't believe that for one minute.

You have a mate??

:greengrin