PDA

View Full Version : Finch Farm Everton Academy

Scouse Hibee
11-04-2013, 06:46 PM
I was at Finch farm on Sunday, the academy U12 lads from Dunfermline were playing an Everton academy team, the previous day they had visited and played the Bolton academy team.

The facilities were pretty much what I would expect from an EPL team, especially one who funded their academy off the back of the Rooney sale but what blew me away was the high standard of the Everton U12 team compared to the Dunfermline team and the professional structure of how the academy and the youngsters are managed.

Alan Irvine who is now the academy manager at Everton conducted a full tour after the game and the explained the structure of the academy from top to bottom. All the games are recorded and each players performance is broken down and analysed, each players is taken through his own performance in a classroom situation and the highs and lows of each performance are discussed on a one to one and in a group. The lads are schooled in diet, physical performance, and receive structured training programmes in the gym including using weights...................this is U12 level!!!! Their progress at school is closely monitored by the club and any ill discipline at school is reported to the academy and can affect their participation. Wow! What a start in the game for these young lads, I wonder how many if any of them will join the list of Everton academy players who have made the grade, there was a couple of standouts on the day that I would love to see if they develop.

The whole set up outlines just how hard it is for youngsters to come through from smaller academy's like Dunfermline when you see the gulf already in the standards of the two teams. Alan Irvine was brilliant with the lads and was fully appreciative of the game in Scotland and the financial constraints and was very complimentary to the the Dunfy lads in terms of their ability in respect to other teams who have visited.

Now I just need to get a visit to Liverpool's academy :greengrin

Since90+2
11-04-2013, 06:51 PM
What was the score?

Scouse Hibee
11-04-2013, 07:08 PM
What was the score?

Everton insisted on 7's instead of the 11 a side that Dunfy thought was going to happen so there was two U12 games at the same time. Each game played a total of 80 minutes in 4 x 20 minute sessions. The game I was concentrating on went 6-1 Everton..........3-0 Everton..............1-1 draw and 2-1 Dunfermline.....................I think, it was getting hard to concentrate on the goals :greengrin so I guess you could say 11-3 to Everton.

truehibernian
11-04-2013, 07:13 PM
I was at Finch farm on Sunday, the academy U12 lads from Dunfermline were playing an Everton academy team, the previous day they had visited and played the Bolton academy team.

The facilities were pretty much what I would expect from an EPL team, especially one who funded their academy off the back of the Rooney sale but what blew me away was the high standard of the Everton U12 team compared to the Dunfermline team and the professional structure of how the academy and the youngsters are managed.

Alan Irvine who is now the academy manager at Everton conducted a full tour after the game and the explained the structure of the academy from top to bottom. All the games are recorded and each players performance is broken down and analysed, each players is taken through his own performance in a classroom situation and the highs and lows of each performance are discussed on a one to one and in a group. The lads are schooled in diet, physical performance, and receive structured training programmes in the gym including using weights...................this is U12 level!!!! Their progress at school is closely monitored by the club and any ill discipline at school is reported to the academy and can affect their participation. Wow! What a start in the game for these young lads, I wonder how many if any of them will join the list of Everton academy players who have made the grade, there was a couple of standouts on the day that I would love to see if they develop.

The whole set up outlines just how hard it is for youngsters to come through from smaller academy's like Dunfermline when you see the gulf already in the standards of the two teams. Alan Irvine was brilliant with the lads and was fully appreciative of the game in Scotland and the financial constraints and was very complimentary to the the Dunfy lads in terms of their ability in respect to other teams who have visited.

Pretty much all of what you saw happens at the SFA Academies mate - all the lads are ages 12 upwards, all are attached to 'parent' clubs at present. Their behaviour not just at school but out in the community can impact on their place. They get inputs on diet, tactical boards, personal training programmes, access to gym, daily football work. It's very intensive and it will bear fruit, trust me. The recent trials in Edinburgh were excellent, very well attended and there are some very very talented youngsters out there. The downside is the SFA Academies only have a set number of places and the lads have to attend the school where the academy is based. The more talented boys nationally (Scotland level) however at through west and in the northern based ones (sadly).

If you like youth football, Spartans U17's reached the Scottish Cup final which is a hell of a good achievement - a few Hibees in their side too. The final I think is in May - some good players at that level who could make the grade if picked up and nurtured.

Scouse Hibee
11-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Pretty much all of what you saw happens at the SFA Academies mate - all the lads are ages 12 upwards, all are attached to 'parent' clubs at present. Their behaviour not just at school but out in the community can impact on their place. They get inputs on diet, tactical boards, personal training programmes, access to gym, daily football work. It's very intensive and it will bear fruit, trust me. The recent trials in Edinburgh were excellent, very well attended and there are some very very talented youngsters out there. The downside is the SFA Academies only have a set number of places and the lads have to attend the school where the academy is based. The more talented boys nationally (Scotland level) however at through west and in the northern based ones (sadly).

If you like youth football, Spartans U17's reached the Scottish Cup final which is a hell of a good achievement - a few Hibees in their side too. The final I think is in May - some good players at that level who could make the grade if picked up and nurtured.

Yes I'm aware of the SFA academies and the recent 20/20 trials, of which Broughton school will be one of the bases. My point was that they are national academies with very limited numbers compared to club academies who still exist and aim to bring their own players through. With regard to the recent trials, I know of several involved in the recent trials and would question the ability of some of those selected for the next stage to be honest as opposed to "lesser known names" who weren't shall we say. Any way that's another discussion, I still think there's a mountain to climb after witnessing both academy teams at the weekend.

Scorrie
11-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Finch Farm is pretty impressive. How does it compare with East Mains?

Big Duncan Ferguson is a youth coach at Everton these days . Doing well by all accounts

Largshibby
11-04-2013, 07:38 PM

Saw a programme a while back about Everton's work in the community. They do a massive amount of good stuff across every sector of the community. I was really impressed despite the family loyalties being more towards the red side of the city. For me this is another example of the good things a football club can do that doesn't receive nearly as much publicity as it deserves.

truehibernian
11-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Yes I'm aware of the SFA academies and the recent 20/20 trials, of which Broughton school will be one of the bases. My point was that they are national academies with very limited numbers compared to club academies who still exist and aim to bring their own players through. With regard to the recent trials, I know of several involved in the recent trials and would question the ability of some of those selected for the next stage to be honest as opposed to "lesser known names" who weren't shall we say. Any way that's another discussion, I still think there's a mountain to climb after witnessing both academy teams at the weekend.

Absolutely agree that through all the ages, for years, there have been some questionable decisions on selections - quite often it's the 'who you know' or 'who your dad was' that got you picked - I played alongside a player who ended up at Hearts and quite rightly spiralled down the leagues as he was or want of a better word, utter pash. His dad however was a very famous Scottish international player who played for your rivals :wink: What that does though is take away the chance for a player who really was good and could have made it (in my opinion).

The selection process is changing - I'm lucky in that I see the kids coming through the academies. Of course, some won't make it, I think more down to the 'premiership type attitude' some youngsters now have. Work ethic needs to be engrained and the lucrative contracts which they (and their families) all dream of need to be put to the side as they are for many pipe dreams. I hear what some of the parents come out with and all they see is possible cash - that is depressing.

I'm going to watch a kids final at Saughton on Saturday evening - the more kids we get playing football and kicking a ball the better. If they make it great, if not I just hope they continue playing well into adulthood even just for fun and beers afterwards.

Scouse Hibee
11-04-2013, 07:43 PM
Finch Farm is pretty impressive. How does it compare with East Mains?

Big Duncan Ferguson is a youth coach at Everton these days . Doing well by all accounts

I've never been to East Mains but pretty sure the players cars in the Finch Farm car park cost more :greengrin

Big Dunc was there watching/coaching the game on Sunday.

Scouse Hibee
11-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Absolutely agree that through all the ages, for years, there have been some questionable decisions on selections - quite often it's the 'who you know' or 'who your dad was' that got you picked - I played alongside a player who ended up at Hearts and quite rightly spiralled down the leagues as he was or want of a better word, utter pash. His dad however was a very famous Scottish international player who played for your rivals :wink: What that does though is take away the chance for a player who really was good and could have made it (in my opinion).

The selection process is changing - I'm lucky in that I see the kids coming through the academies. Of course, some won't make it, I think more down to the 'premiership type attitude' some youngsters now have. Work ethic needs to be engrained and the lucrative contracts which they (and their families) all dream of need to be put to the side as they are for many pipe dreams. I hear what some of the parents come out with and all they see is possible cash - that is depressing.

I'm going to watch a kids final at Saughton on Saturday evening - the more kids we get playing football and kicking a ball the better. If they make it great, if not I just hope they continue playing well into adulthood even just for fun and beers afterwards.

Alan Irvine referred to Stephen Wright and they both recollected their boot and toilet cleaning days as youngsters, Irvine said he agreed things had moved on but if he had his way the boot cleaning would become part of the footballers apprenticeship once again, now that would knock the premiership type attitude would it not. :greengrin He did say that he didn't know how long it would take though with players now having dozens of pairs of boots compared to his one pair!

heretoday
11-04-2013, 09:58 PM
The People's Club.........:wink:

Scouse Hibee
11-04-2013, 10:46 PM
The People's Club.........:wink:

Yes just like the people they too are having to pay tax on their empty room................................you know the one, The Trophy Room :wink:

vanNISHtelroy
12-04-2013, 06:53 AM
I've never been to East Mains but pretty sure the players cars in the Finch Farm car park cost more :greengrin

Like Matty Kennedy who moved to them from Kilmarnock and posted a pic of his new BMW on twitter the other day?

David Weir was at Rugby Park on Saturday watching Mark O'Hara, so might be another Killie player heading to their under 18 to under 21 teams!

seven nowt
12-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Yes just like the people they too are having to pay tax on their empty room................................you know the one, The Trophy Room :wink:

:thumbsup: