PDA

View Full Version : Minutes silence for Thatcher

lucky
10-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Should the SFA hold a minutes silence for Thatcher at Hampden at the weekend?

Personally I'm not for it but does anyone think she should get this level of respect?

hibs0666
10-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Respect has to be earned, so I'll not be anywhere near any minute's silences.

Sylar
10-04-2013, 03:07 PM

Personally I'm not for it but does anyone think she should get this level of respect?

If the English Football authorities and Premiership have decided against it incase of disruption, when she's more likely to have supporters down there to a degree, the SFA would be absolutely stark raving mental to hold one in Scotland.

Plus, politics should be kept the hell out of football :agree:

green glory
10-04-2013, 03:11 PM
I think the SFA have already said they won't.

It would be pointless trying anyway.

10-04-2013, 03:14 PM
No. Politics has no place in football. I highly doubt they would be so stupid as to organise a minute silence this weekend in the scottish cup semi finals but as I mentioned on another thread, they were stupid enough to have a minute silence for the pope at the celtic v hearts semi final a few years ago! Absolutely ridiculous and although i don't condone the hearts fans booing, the SFA should have known that a move like that would incite sectarian hatred amongst the idiots in the stadiums.

Keep religion and politics out of football, only causes trouble IMO.

Baker9
10-04-2013, 03:16 PM
No. For me, she scrapes into the state funeral category because of the Falklands, but a minute's silence? No.

JMac
10-04-2013, 03:18 PM
I would boo throughout, hope to god there isn't one

Since90+2
10-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Naw :no way:

Saorsa
10-04-2013, 03:26 PM

Personally I'm not for it but does anyone think she should get this level of respect?No they shouldnae, asking for trouble IMO and she'll get nae respect from me, ****in' bitch, should it happen, I will boo it.

Vault Boy
10-04-2013, 03:32 PM
No and I shouldn't imagine there will be. Too (let's just say) controversial a figure to hold a silence for, even more so in Scotland. I believe the mass majority would ignore it if by chance they tried to hold one anyway.

dave62
10-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Thatcher hated football and held football fans in contempt. If people want to remember her that's fine, but they should do it in their own time. Football doesn't owe Thatcher anything.

marinello59
10-04-2013, 03:35 PM
A cracking right winger. If only she was still playing today.

Bostonhibby
10-04-2013, 03:37 PM

Not for me, I am not as young as I was and can't handle as many parties in the same week as I used to.

Kojock
10-04-2013, 03:38 PM
I think we should have a minutes applause for Pope Francis who has performed his first miracle since being elected. :wink:

Speedway
10-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Only if there's a whip round outside the ground to go with it.

She got Ł10m to find for her funeral, poor cow.

oldbiker
10-04-2013, 04:00 PM
nae chance

StevieC
10-04-2013, 04:05 PM
I think that she should be given the same level of respect that she gave those that died in the Hillsborough disaster.

ding dong :witch: :dead:

Billie Jo
10-04-2013, 04:19 PM
No they shouldnae, asking for trouble IMO and she'll get nae respect from me, ****in' bitch, should it happen, I will boo it.

Me neither, ****in evil old boot.

Hibs07p
10-04-2013, 05:04 PM
It won't happen, and rightly so. I hear she's still up to her old tricks, only been in hell 5 minutes and still managed to shut down 3 furnaces. One of her Jambo admirers tried to shut us down, don't ever forget.

GGTTH

neilmartinrocks
10-04-2013, 05:05 PM
I think that she should be given the same level of respect that she gave those that died in the Hillsborough disaster.

ding dong :witch: :dead:

Politics aside and as a football supporter this.:aok:

basehibby
10-04-2013, 05:19 PM

:faf:

...a minute's booing would be much more appropriate.

Can just picture it... ref looks at his watch, 3, 2, 1 F***IN BOOOOOO!!!

Paisley Hibby
10-04-2013, 06:24 PM

I hope they do try to hold this. Will give us all a great chance to let the world know what we really think about her :greengrin

BoltonHibee
10-04-2013, 06:27 PM
Why not just start a minutes booing anyway?

Sir David Gray
10-04-2013, 06:34 PM
I think the responses on this thread gives you the answer to your question.

It would be madness for the SFA to organise anything like that this weekend as there's no danger it would be observed by a sizeable amount of people and it would just descend into chaos.

As it happens, I don't think a minute's silence should be held at a football match for a politician anyway.

lucky
10-04-2013, 06:44 PM
I suspected that this would be the response but I hope the SFA go for it as a minutes booing would give us a chance to show what our feelings for her

Cabbage East
10-04-2013, 06:47 PM
As someone already said, the only way they'll get a minutes silence is if they ask for a minutes applause.

joe breezy
10-04-2013, 06:47 PM
A silence at Raith Rovers for Gordon Brown would be suitable as he was a fan, involved in the club as a ball boy and a supporter.

So those are the instances where politicians should get a silence or applause.

As for one so rightly unpopular in Scotland, no way.

Eyrie
10-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Politics and sport should be kept well apart, so as a Tory voter I'd be against it. The fact that it would be hijacked by numpties is neither here nor there.

Saorsa
10-04-2013, 06:52 PM
A silence at Raith Rovers for Gordon Brown would be suitable as he was a fan, involved in the club as a ball boy and a supporter.

As for one so rightly unpopular in Scotland, no way.Does any other supporter who was a ball boy and fan get a minutes silence or applause?

Saorsa
10-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Politics and sport should be kept well apart, so as a Tory voter I'd be against it. The fact that it would be hijacked by numpties is neither here nor there.away 'n' bile yer heid. :wink:

Eyrie
10-04-2013, 06:58 PM
away 'n' bile yer heid. :wink:I can't - there's nae coal :na na:

joe breezy
10-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Does any other supporter who was a ball boy and fan get a minutes silence or applause?

It depends how much they do for the club, it was an example as an outsider. Sevco had a silence for a long serving member of staff recently.

At least such tributes are more relevant than those for famous people who had nothing to do with the club -the Pope a good example of such.

davidw
10-04-2013, 07:11 PM
No. For me, she scrapes into the state funeral category because of the Falklands, but a minute's silence? No.

Yes, right enough, she scrapes it because of the Falklands. For going to war over twelve people and six sheep so she could secure another election, she definitely scrapes it. For killing hundreds on a boat outside the exclusion zone and sailing away from the islands, absolutely. For refusing to hold peace talks that might deflect her ‘glory’ (but save lives). For trying to prevent any GB injured armed forces personnel taking part in the London victory parade in case the sight of them put a bit of a damper on proceedings – yeah, think you’re right there. For her general standing on the world stage – you know, friend and defender of Pinochet, a murderer and dictator, for resisting economic sanctions on apartheid South Africa, for being a “true friend” to Gen. Suharto of Indonesia who was responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands in East Timor, for propping up Saddam Hussein etc. etc.. - yes, yes you have a point. And then there was what she did at home, rewarding individual greed, sh*tting on the poor, and generally ******ing up society.

So, yes, all in all, you’re right, she just scrapes it.

Jesus wept.

Johnny Clash
10-04-2013, 07:16 PM
She was evil to the core so it would be hypocritical to show any respect

let the Tories and her apologists mourn her - keep the rest of us out of this, I just wish she was never born!

R'Albin
10-04-2013, 07:54 PM
A cracking right winger. If only she was still playing today.

Even now she's probably still more effective than Done.

green glory
10-04-2013, 08:13 PM
@LambieJohn: Minute's silence held b4 jags game in memory of miners, Dockers, shipyard workers, car plant workers, steel workers & Hillsborough victims.

hfc rd
10-04-2013, 08:22 PM
No danger I will join in with a minute silence. Will just turn my back and show both middle fingers like I did back at the PBS at the Mercer minute applause.

EdinMike
10-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Why Boo... When we can have a full blown minute of Party with "Allez Allez Allez Au" ! :flag:

stoneyburn hibs
10-04-2013, 08:27 PM
Yes, right enough, she scrapes it because of the Falklands. For going to war over twelve people and six sheep so she could secure another election, she definitely scrapes it. For killing hundreds on a boat outside the exclusion zone and sailing away from the islands, absolutely. For refusing to hold peace talks that might deflect her ‘glory’ (but save lives). For trying to prevent any GB injured armed forces personnel taking part in the London victory parade in case the sight of them put a bit of a damper on proceedings – yeah, think you’re right there. For her general standing on the world stage – you know, friend and defender of Pinochet, a murderer and dictator, for resisting economic sanctions on apartheid South Africa, for being a “true friend” to Gen. Suharto of Indonesia who was responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands in East Timor, for propping up Saddam Hussein etc. etc.. - yes, yes you have a point. And then there was what she did at home, rewarding individual greed, sh*tting on the poor, and generally ******ing up society.

Jesus wept.

You were not a fan of Thatcher then ?

Hibernia Na Eir
10-04-2013, 08:33 PM
SSN reports that most top EPL clubs probably won't hold min silence this weekend, so almost certainly Scotland will not have to suffer either. and rightly so.

weonlywon6-2
10-04-2013, 08:37 PM

Nope.she had nothing to do with sport.

Not a popular figure in scotland anyway

Bostonhibby
10-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Nope.she had nothing to do with sport.
?? Didn't she win the Grand National? :confused.

HibernianJK
10-04-2013, 09:11 PM
Little bit off topic here. Does anyone think that any non sporting/football related death should be seen with a minutes silence? I cant really decide. Obviously theres remembrance sunday which im all for.

jdships
10-04-2013, 09:15 PM

As for one so rightly unpopular in Scotland, no way.

Your having a giraffe of course !!!!
This is a man that caused the country as much grief as Thatcher and probably ruined the lives of yours and my children an grandchildren
That goes for Blair as well !!

CropleyWasGod
10-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Your having a giraffe of course !!!!
This is a man that caused the country as much grief as Thatcher and probably ruined the lives of yours and my children an grandchildren
That goes for Blair as well !!

It's okay. It wouldn't be compulsory for you to go to Stark's Park. :wink:

marinello59
10-04-2013, 09:18 PM
?? Didn't she win the Grand National? :confused.

No, that was Princess Anne I think. I don't know who the jockey was though .

The Green Goblin
10-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Little bit off topic here. Does anyone think that any non sporting/football related death should be seen with a minutes silence? I cant really decide. Obviously theres remembrance sunday which im all for.

I was thinking about this too. I remember there being a minutes silence at ER around 2005 for Ken Bigley (British engineer captured and beheaded in Iraq) and as it was happening, I stood there thinking "why are we being asked to do this?". I was sorry for the man and his family but this was around a time when for a few months, as I remember it, there seemed to be a minute's silence every other week for someone or other who had nothing to do with Hibs, Scotland or football.

Hiber-nation
10-04-2013, 09:22 PM
No, that was Princess Anne I think. I don't know who the jockey was though .

Captain Mark Phillips used to ride her.

Saorsa
10-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Little bit off topic here. Does anyone think that any non sporting/football related death should be seen with a minutes silence? I cant really decide. Obviously theres remembrance sunday which im all for.No!

FranckSuzy
10-04-2013, 09:25 PM

No!

I would support a minutes silence for the death of HMFC :agree: Mind you, not much chance of it being silent :wink:
:greengrin

Sir David Gray
10-04-2013, 09:26 PM

I am 100% behind holding a minute's silence every year for Remembrance Day and I also think there should be a minute's silence for the Queen when she dies (which there will be), as the Head of State.

That's all.

clerriehibs
10-04-2013, 09:27 PM
No danger I will join in with a minute silence. Will just turn my back and show both middle fingers like I did back at the PBS at the Mercer minute applause.

Am I dreaming this, or have people been arrested at some point in the past for turning their back during these minute silences for being disrespectful?

jdships
10-04-2013, 09:28 PM
It's okay. It wouldn't be compulsory for you to go to Stark's Park. :wink:

Sorry , should have added I don't see the point of ' a minutes silence' for a politician.
For me politics and religion have no place in any sport

CropleyWasGod
10-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Sorry , should have added I don't see the point of ' a minutes silence' for a politician.
For me politics and religion have no place in any sport

I think the point was that he used to be a ballboy at Stark's Park.

Saorsa
10-04-2013, 09:33 PM
Am I dreaming this, or have people been arrested at some point in the past for turning their back during these minute silences for being disrespectful?Cannae say I've head of that TBH. What would they dae anyway? Arrest about 99% of the crowd? :greengrin

jdships
10-04-2013, 09:34 PM
I think the point was that he used to be a ballboy at Stark's Park.

Didn't learn very much as he went on to bankrupt the country
Still put him Blair and Thatcher in the same category - Self indulgent

Colonel_HFC
10-04-2013, 09:36 PM
If the English Football authorities and Premiership have decided against it incase of disruption, when she's more likely to have supporters down there to a degree, the SFA would be absolutely stark raving mental to hold one in Scotland.

So that'll be a minute's silence then...

lucky
10-04-2013, 09:36 PM

Derby recently held a minutes silence before a game for Phillpot children. Do they not deserve respect fromtheir home town team

joe breezy
10-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Didn't learn very much as he went on to bankrupt the country
Still put him Blair and Thatcher in the same category - Self indulgent

as stated before the point was if the politician has played a significant role in the club asides from politics would be the only reason for a silence

Gordon Brown probably hasn't done enough for Rovers, I'm not sure, only a Raith Rovers fan could tell

surreyhibbie
10-04-2013, 10:14 PM

Jesus wept.

:top marks:agree:

Speedy
10-04-2013, 10:17 PM
What's the odds it'll turn into this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&client=mv-google&hl=en-GB&v=37Cmzvt549Y

SJNB Hibby
10-04-2013, 10:18 PM

Jesus wept.

FFS Supporting Hibs, or any footie team (even, God Help us Hertz or Lazio) is more than just turning up on a saturday afternoon hoping your team can score more than Dundee or the Buddies. **** her and the ship she came in on. Listening to Max Boyce right now-think he drove me to this----thanx Max

The Falcon
10-04-2013, 10:54 PM
No they shouldnae, asking for trouble IMO and she'll get nae respect from me, ****in' bitch, should it happen, I will boo it.

Total empathy with that viewpoint Dan but I feel outright booing would perhaps be used against the club. I would be all for turning our backs to the field of play.

Dont think it will happen though.

Jones28
10-04-2013, 11:48 PM
I envisage scenes like those at hampden when the pope died and Celtic were playing hearts. Except it will be the majority doing it.

So no, definitely not. Keep politics out of football.

ScottB
11-04-2013, 01:13 AM
She deserves nothing of the sort. By their very nature Prime Ministers are 'first among equals' sure, Churchill got the whole hog when he died, but he was Churchill! Thatcher was probably the most destructive force unleashed on this country in peacetime in a century or more.

That and even if you were all for her policies and whatnot, the woman herself didn't want anything like this. They should keep it low key. No silences for a kick off.

StevesFamau5
11-04-2013, 03:20 AM
No silence for me. While I may be a young pup and don't really have much recollection of the thatcher era. Instead of being silent or rven booing. I would rather turn my back and hum something patriotic. Don't know why just something I would love to see. Almost unanimously ignoring it. :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Baker9
11-04-2013, 06:06 AM

Jesus wept.

I don't think she went to war for election purposes. A foreign country invaded our territory and she dealt with it.

davidw
11-04-2013, 06:32 AM
I don't think she went to war for election purposes. A foreign country invaded our territory and she dealt with it.

Check the historical facts of the time (including opinion polls, and the alternative strategies she was urged to take), and I think you will find that is exactly what she did.

Still, it's great you can see the bigger picture..

marinello59
11-04-2013, 06:35 AM
There's a thread on the Holy Ground if you want to discuss politics other than the immediate topic here which does have some football content.

weecounty hibby
11-04-2013, 08:14 AM
Never thought i would ever cheer a persons death, but i cheered when i heard about that evil *******. Hated the Scots, hated Scotland, hated football and hated football fans. So why would a game of football played in Scotland be an appropriate place for any tribute to that bitch?
Next year at referendum time we should all remember how a woman/party who were completely unelected by the people of Scotland totally ****ed the country. No votes, no mandate to govern but still all of the power to screw us over big time

Baker9
11-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Check the historical facts of the time (including opinion polls, and the alternative strategies she was urged to take), and I think you will find that is exactly what she did.

Still, it's great you can see the bigger picture..

I lived through it and took a great interest in it all at the time. My own recollection is that the majority of the UK supported her action. All alternative strategies were forms of capitulation.

Keith_M
11-04-2013, 08:31 AM
I lived through it and took a great interest in it all at the time. My own recollection is that the majority of the UK supported her action. All alternative strategies were forms of capitulation.

Still a lot of dead, maimed and mentally ruined people for an insignificant island thousands of miles from the UK.

She didn't half milk the adulation though. She showed no respect for the dead and those adversely affected by doing so.

So that'll be no silence from me.

marinello59
11-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Looks like a straight forward political argument about her policies again then. No need to replicate the Holy Ground thread here really is there?
Thread closed.