PDA

View Full Version : Etymology (No Insect Content)

lapsedhibee
10-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Supporters of the wee team have traditionally been known as Hibbies, and of the big team as Jambos.

But how did these words come about?

Why not Hibbos and Jambies?

I can honestly say I've lost as much sleep recently fretting about this as I have over that nice Mrs T's passing.

Geo_1875
10-04-2013, 11:28 AM
I think the use of Jambo is relatively recent. I don't recall it being in use in the 60's. Most of the names they were called were unprintable.

Whereas Hibbies have always been Hibbies.

:flag:

Saorsa
10-04-2013, 11:30 AM
I think the use of Jambo is relatively recent. I don't recall it being in use in the 60's. Most of the names they were called were unprintable.

Whereas Hibbies have always been Hibbies.

:flag:Most of the names I call them still are.

Kojock
10-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Entomology is the study of insects. :wink:

Geo_1875
10-04-2013, 11:35 AM

Ooh!!! Where did that big word come from?

lapsedhibee
10-04-2013, 11:47 AM

Did you not read the thread title? I said No Insect Content :grr:
:hijack:

Shrekko
10-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Pretty sure the Jam Tarts became the Jambos around the time of the Rambo film.

Ross4356
10-04-2013, 12:16 PM
For that matter where di Yam come from. I never use the words or my mates either has never heard of untill untill here. I use Hertz *****

lapsedhibee
10-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Pretty sure the Jam Tarts became the Jambos around the time of the Rambo film.

You are backed up by the font of wisdom that is jamtartskickback:

"It got big after the first Rambo film, we won away to airdrie (i think) and the back page of the paper was a hearts player covered in mud after a hard fought win with the headline JAM-BO.... stuck big after this."

I had wondered, in the light of Hearts' habit over the last couple of decades of dodging tax, bills, etc, whether it might have been a shortening (not the biscuit content) of the popular (biscuit content) Jambo Dodger.

Sir David Gray
10-04-2013, 06:26 PM
For that matter where di Yam come from. I never use the words or my mates either has never heard of untill untill here. I use Hertz *****

No idea either. I've never called them "yams" either and I've never heard anyone call them that except on here.

lapsedhibee
10-04-2013, 06:34 PM

It's an abbreviation once used in the personal columns of newspapers. Young Adult Males. 'Young adult males' being a newspaper-friendly euphemism for 'children wanted for sex'. Applied to HOMFC and followers for obvious reasons.

Baker9
11-04-2013, 06:32 AM
Supporters of the wee team have traditionally been known as Hibbies, and of the big team as Jambos.

But how did these words come about?

Why not Hibbos and Jambies?

I can honestly say I've lost as much sleep recently fretting about this as I have over that nice Mrs T's passing.

It is simply a question of education and levels of IQ. Extensive research in Rose Street in the 70s established the average IQ of a Hearts supporter to be 18.2 points lower that that of the average Hibs supporter. Consequently, when the Hibs debated on the plural of Hibby, Hibbies was the educated answer. When hearts wanted a catchy name for themselves they chose Jambos because it sounded hard like Rambos.

Ross4356
11-04-2013, 11:40 AM
It's an abbreviation once used in the personal columns of newspapers. Young Adult Males. 'Young adult males' being a newspaper-friendly euphemism for 'children wanted for sex'. Applied to HOMFC and followers for obvious reasons.

When did this start?

CropleyWasGod
11-04-2013, 11:43 AM
When did this start?

Around the same time that the acronym for Hot In Bed became fashionable in "contact" magazines.

Craig_HFC
11-04-2013, 11:46 AM
I call them ****s. As in 'Corgie ****s'.

EDIT: Why is g.u.nts censored?

Vini1875
11-04-2013, 02:55 PM
our name makes more sense as a natural progression from Hibernians to Hibernian and then Hibs - which could easily be prounced High bees and the singular High bee or Hibs becoming Hib for the singular and then in Scotland everything gets a y on the end of it especially in football.

CropleyWasGod
11-04-2013, 02:57 PM
our name makes more sense as a natural progression from Hibernians to Hibernian and then Hibs - which could easily be prounced High bees and the singular High bee or Hibs becoming Hib for the singular and then in Scotland everything gets a y on the end of it especially in football.

... which brings us back to entomology.

Sorted.

Bishop Hibee
11-04-2013, 03:03 PM
Hi-bees and Jam Tarts when I was a kid. Jambos and Hibbys came in in the early 80's. My mates' son has a hamster called Hibbo though.