PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassing Scotland

southsider
10-04-2013, 08:42 AM
'Ref Craig Thompson embarrassed our whole nation with such an inept performane in the champions league last night we will be the laughing stock of Europe. He had three major calls to make, two offside decisions and a sending off for a Dortmund player and got each one wrong. This must be his last game and the SFA must show spme balls and demote him to the lower leagues forewith.

Godsahibby
10-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Were the linesman not at fault for the offsides!

CropleyWasGod
10-04-2013, 09:10 AM
Yeah, I overhead a couple of old guys at a pavement cafe in Paris this morning.

"Euh, you see le foot last night?"

"Ah oui.... c'est merde. Let's all laugh at Scotland."

10-04-2013, 09:12 AM
Yeah, I overhead a couple of old guys at a pavement cafe in Paris this morning.

"Euh, you see le foot last night?"

"Ah oui.... c'est merde. Let's all laugh at Scotland."

:greengrin

FastEddieFelson
10-04-2013, 09:22 AM
didn't see the sending off incident, but you can't really blame him for the offside decisions...

his decision a few months ago in the schalke twente game was much more embarrassing.

Time For Heroes
10-04-2013, 09:44 AM
People make mistakes...
i.e The title of the thread
http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/taunt%20smiley.gif

Beefster
10-04-2013, 09:48 AM
I'm that embarrassed, I'll never be able to show my face outside Scotland ever again.

Siralbertkidd
10-04-2013, 09:48 AM
People make mistakes...
i.e The title of the thread
http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/taunt%20smiley.gif

should i.e not be e.g. ? :faf:

steve75
10-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Whenever I see a terrible performance by a foreign ref I just think, aw other countries must have useless officials too, then move on.

I think we might just get through this.

McSwanky
10-04-2013, 09:58 AM
I'm that embarrassed, I'll never be able to show my face outside Scotland ever again.

*Scotlant

cabbageandribs1875
10-04-2013, 09:59 AM
who the **** are scotlant :confused:

CropleyWasGod
10-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Whenever I see a terrible performance by a foreign ref I just think, aw other countries must have useless officials too, then move on.

I think we might just get through this.

It's times like this when I worry.

Maybe it's a bad idea to ban Trident from Scotland. Maybe we should have our own deterrent, for tough times like this.

blackpoolhibs
10-04-2013, 10:16 AM
I'm that embarrassed i'm moving back.

Lucius Apuleius
10-04-2013, 10:19 AM
I'm that embarrassed i'm moving back.

Me too. :agree::agree::agree:

Ross4356
10-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Just back from the game, wore a kilt, face was beetroot all night, never again

ehf
10-04-2013, 12:38 PM
From the Guardian:

"Spanish newspapers were unanimous in their lament of Málaga's "Offside nightmare," as El Mundo had it and what was the saddest night in the club's history, according to El Pais.

Leading 2-1 going into stoppage-time, Málaga's hopes of reaching a Champions League semi-final were devastated by goals from Marco Reus and Felipe Santana, the latter, as the Spanish press were keen to stress, seemingly in an offside position. Hence, while compliments abounded for the Andalucian side's valiant defending, the defeat coloured widespread condemnation of Scottish referee, Craig Thomson. "

Don't know why the cheating cant is getting any sympathy on here?

CropleyWasGod
10-04-2013, 12:44 PM
From the Guardian:

"Spanish newspapers were unanimous in their lament of Málaga's "Offside nightmare," as El Mundo had it and what was the saddest night in the club's history, according to El Pais.

Leading 2-1 going into stoppage-time, Málaga's hopes of reaching a Champions League semi-final were devastated by goals from Marco Reus and Felipe Santana, the latter, as the Spanish press were keen to stress, seemingly in an offside position. Hence, while compliments abounded for the Andalucian side's valiant defending, the defeat coloured widespread condemnation of Scottish referee, Craig Thomson. "

I can't see any sympathy being shown here. However, I can see light-hearted ribbing of the OP's view that Scotland is the laughing-stock of Europe.

LancsHibs
10-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Embarrassing Scotland! Surely thats the national teams job.

JE89
10-04-2013, 12:53 PM
From the Guardian:

How did he cheat? :confused:

--------
10-04-2013, 01:10 PM
'Ref Craig Thompson embarrassed our whole nation with such an inept performance in the Champions' League last night. We will be the laughing stock of Europe. He had three major calls to make, two offside decisions and a sending off for a Dortmund player, and got each one wrong. This must be his last game and the SFA must show some balls and demote him to the lower leagues forthwith.

I consider that this OP embarrasses the whole of Hibs.net.

Nine mistakes in spelling and punctuation in a three-line post is unacceptable.

Time for the administrators to demote you to the lower forums forthwith. :wink:

Do you really think that people in the rest of Europe will be laughing at Scotland because Craig Thomson isn't a very good football referee? :rolleyes:

Phil MaGlass
10-04-2013, 01:10 PM

According to Malagas players and coach he never saw the two red cards Dortmund should have had and the blatant offside last goal,they did everything to get the small team kicked out.
**** ref, the whole of Scotland could have told them that, every Hibs fan could tell them that but just like the SFA they refuse to act properly on incompetent refs,(oh no they dont they give them scottish Cup Finals mmmm) if that is the best of Scotlands ref and he is supposed to be one of Europes best, I really would not like to see Europes worst. Whit an embarrassment. And I would agree with the OP it is an embarrassment to Scotland. Diddy ref from a diddy league. No doubt he will be refereeing the SC final.

ehf
10-04-2013, 01:11 PM

He has systematically cheated Hibs for years, culminating in the Cup Final last May.

Phil MaGlass
10-04-2013, 01:12 PM
I consider that this OP embarrasses the whole of Hibs.net.

Do you really think that people in the rest of Europe will be laughing at Scotland because Craig Thomson isn't a very good football referee? :rolleyes:

that is a definite yes, I watched it on Dutch TV and yes they are laughing at us, as I say, Diddy ref from a diddy league

CropleyWasGod
10-04-2013, 01:20 PM
[/B]

that is a definite yes, I watched it on Dutch TV and yes they are laughing at us, as I say, Diddy ref from a diddy league

:agree:

Questions have been raised in the upper houses of Parliaments across the world. The tribute to Thatcher has been postponed. North Korea has altered the direction of its missiles.

We're furrit.

Geo_1875
10-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Apparently, he's not just a cheat. Malaga President reckons there's racism involved.

grunt
10-04-2013, 01:30 PM
It's a four line post on my screen ...

--------
10-04-2013, 02:02 PM
It's a four line post on my screen ...

Then get a bigger screen. That too is UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------
10-04-2013, 02:04 PM
[/B]

Well, I guess we'd all just better curl up and die ....

CropleyWasGod
10-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Apparently, he's not just a cheat. Malaga President reckons there's racism involved.

Confirms what I thought when he sent Kujabi off last year. :agree:

hibs4thecup1988
10-04-2013, 02:13 PM

I agree with him. Let's get CT locked up...

Btw no chance of him getting Scottish cup final. He has a semi final, but I've also heard big rumours within uefa(I know a certain person) that CT will be 4th official for the champions league final. And is that not the night before the Scottish cup final?

He is a joke of a referee

As someone pointed out earlier his decisions in schalke game was horrific. Was that the game where he sent off a defender, gave a penalty and the foul was AT LEAST 5 yards out the box?

Green Fish
10-04-2013, 02:19 PM
CT and his team have been protected after inept performances time after time by the SFA.

It will be interesting to see what happens to him and his team after this debacle.

Trouble is there aren't many ref teams left in Scotland with experience or credibility.

Also CT is running out of holiday destinations where it is safe for him to go.

ehf
10-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Also from the Guardian:

"Poor Scotland! It was supposed to be their big night in Big Cup. There was Shortbread McFiver sitting in front of his television, ready to toast a famous night for one of Scottish fitba's favourite sons, Craig Thomson, who had been given the prestigious honour of refereeing the quarter-final second leg between Borussia Dortmund and Málaga. What could go wrong? Nothing could go wrong! Nothing, that is, until Thomson and his hapless assistants merrily allowed Dortmund's 93rd-minute winner to stand despite four players, the coaching staff and the club mascot standing around 25 yards offside. D'oh! Swoosh! Smash! Well that was Shortbread McFiver's night ruined and that was the sound of his boot swinging through his TV.

Málaga's Big Cup dream had been blown to smithereens too and while Dortmund's infectiously giddy manager, Jürgen Kopp, was making football hipsters everywhere go weak at the knees by laughing like David Brent on a motivational speaking course, the Spaniards were crying foul, which is precisely what Thomson had failed to do a few minutes earlier. They couldn't share in Klopp's delight after his side incredibly scored twice in stoppage time to win 3-2 on aggregate, instead fuming at the inexplicable failure of the officials. "It's so great, the people here are so happy that they'll have a second hole in the backside," buzzed Klopp. Hmm. Maybe that explains the stink around the goal.

For their part, Málaga have responded to the defeat with all the dignity of a Daily Mail columnist kicking and screaming like a two-year-old in a supermarket over the absence of any minute's silences for Margaret Thatcher this weekend, with suspicions raised due to the club being banned from entering European competitions next season due to financial problems. It's a Uefa conspiracy! "On this occasion we could not, or they did not want us to, get through," raged manager Manuel Pellegrini. "After we went 2-1 ahead there was no refereeing. They forced us back with elbows and shoves. There were two sendings off that were not given, a double offside in the third goal which should not have counted." Joaquin, who scored Málaga's first goal, added: "Of course we suspect [Michel] Platini."

Meanwhile Qatari club owner, Sheik Abdullah al-Thani, reacted in the way only billionaires can when they don't get what they want and, in a bizarre turn of events, alleged that racism was behind the defeat. "I'm sorry to go out this way [to] injustice and racism," he tweeted. "This is racism … I hope to open a thorough investigation Uefa regarding the Spanish club out this way. Which does not effect the spirit of sport. Yes, we were targeted from the beginning of the season by corrupt Uefa and based on racism."

But what sort of bias? Towards Spanish clubs like, say, Real Madrid, who beat Manchester United in the last round thanks to Nani's ludicrous red card? Or the kind of bias which saw Platini back Qatar's bid for the 2022 World Cup. All in all, it gets really confusing when you think back to Zlatan Ibrahimovic's offside goal for Qatari-owned PSG against Qatari-advertising Barcelona last week, a glaring example of Uefa's pro- and anti-Qatari bias. Uefa has denied the claims.

Whatever Al-Thani was on about, Málaga have since announced that they will make a formal complaint to Uefa about the refereeing ("I thought his handling was very, very good," declared SFA suit Stewart Regan in Thomson's defence), although they have been surprisingly quiet on the issue of Eliseu clearly being offside when he put them 2-1 ahead, something that Klopp was quick to use as defence when asked about Dortmund's winner. Perhaps it was just a bad night for Thomson then. After all, in October he was described by Romanian newspapers as a "whistle thief" after a controversial World Cup qualifier between Romania and Holland. "We have better referees in our league than this man," said the former Romanian referee, Ion Craciunescu. "He was useless, had no personality and no sense of fair play." Oh Scotland!"

SaulGoodman
10-04-2013, 04:06 PM
He has systematically cheated Hibs for years, culminating in the Cup Final last May.

No he hasn't.

Hibs have got systematically worse for years.

Culminating in getting humped by our closest rivals in the cup final last year.

Golden Bear
10-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Malaga have now submitted an Official complaint to UEFA about Thomson's performance last night.

I never saw the game but I fully endorse their decision and I am 100% certain that their grievance is fully justified.

--------
10-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Also from the Guardian:

"Poor Scotland! It was supposed to be their big night in Big Cup. There was Shortbread McFiver sitting in front of his television, ready to toast a famous night for one of Scottish fitba's favourite sons, Craig Thomson, who had been given the prestigious honour of refereeing the quarter-final second leg between Borussia Dortmund and Málaga. What could go wrong? Nothing could go wrong! Nothing, that is, until Thomson and his hapless assistants merrily allowed Dortmund's 93rd-minute winner to stand despite four players, the coaching staff and the club mascot standing around 25 yards offside. D'oh! Swoosh! Smash! Well that was Shortbread McFiver's night ruined and that was the sound of his boot swinging through his TV.

Málaga's Big Cup dream had been blown to smithereens too and while Dortmund's infectiously giddy manager, Jürgen Kopp, was making football hipsters everywhere go weak at the knees by laughing like David Brent on a motivational speaking course, the Spaniards were crying foul, which is precisely what Thomson had failed to do a few minutes earlier. They couldn't share in Klopp's delight after his side incredibly scored twice in stoppage time to win 3-2 on aggregate, instead fuming at the inexplicable failure of the officials. "It's so great, the people here are so happy that they'll have a second hole in the backside," buzzed Klopp. Hmm. Maybe that explains the stink around the goal.

For their part, Málaga have responded to the defeat with all the dignity of a Daily Mail columnist kicking and screaming like a two-year-old in a supermarket over the absence of any minute's silences for Margaret Thatcher this weekend, with suspicions raised due to the club being banned from entering European competitions next season due to financial problems. It's a Uefa conspiracy! "On this occasion we could not, or they did not want us to, get through," raged manager Manuel Pellegrini. "After we went 2-1 ahead there was no refereeing. They forced us back with elbows and shoves. There were two sendings off that were not given, a double offside in the third goal which should not have counted." Joaquin, who scored Málaga's first goal, added: "Of course we suspect [Michel] Platini."

Meanwhile Qatari club owner, Sheik Abdullah al-Thani, reacted in the way only billionaires can when they don't get what they want and, in a bizarre turn of events, alleged that racism was behind the defeat. "I'm sorry to go out this way [to] injustice and racism," he tweeted. "This is racism … I hope to open a thorough investigation Uefa regarding the Spanish club out this way. Which does not effect the spirit of sport. Yes, we were targeted from the beginning of the season by corrupt Uefa and based on racism."

But what sort of bias? Towards Spanish clubs like, say, Real Madrid, who beat Manchester United in the last round thanks to Nani's ludicrous red card? Or the kind of bias which saw Platini back Qatar's bid for the 2022 World Cup. All in all, it gets really confusing when you think back to Zlatan Ibrahimovic's offside goal for Qatari-owned PSG against Qatari-advertising Barcelona last week, a glaring example of Uefa's pro- and anti-Qatari bias. Uefa has denied the claims.

Whatever Al-Thani was on about, Málaga have since announced that they will make a formal complaint to Uefa about the refereeing ("I thought his handling was very, very good," declared SFA suit Stewart Regan in Thomson's defence), although they have been surprisingly quiet on the issue of Eliseu clearly being offside when he put them 2-1 ahead, something that Klopp was quick to use as defence when asked about Dortmund's winner. Perhaps it was just a bad night for Thomson then. After all, in October he was described by Romanian newspapers as a "whistle thief" after a controversial World Cup qualifier between Romania and Holland. "We have better referees in our league than this man," said the former Romanian referee, Ion Craciunescu. "He was useless, had no personality and no sense of fair play." Oh Scotland!"

My apologies. It appears that the OP is absolutely right. Craig T has indeed embarrassed Scottish football, ably assisted by Mr Regan.

Ach well, it's nae loss when a Jambo ends up in the doo-doo.

hibs4thecup1988
10-04-2013, 05:50 PM
No he hasn't.

Hibs have got systematically worse for years.

Culminating in getting humped by our closest rivals in the cup final last year.

I kind of agree. But only to the extent that CT is a shocking referee and he has not only been terrible to hibs

SaulGoodman
10-04-2013, 06:07 PM
I kind of agree. But only to the extent that CT is a shocking referee and he has not only been terrible to hibs

He's a shocking referee, but no way has he been 'systematically cheating Hibs for years' :faf:

JE89
10-04-2013, 07:06 PM
According to Malagas players and coach

Not the strongest claim there.

he never saw

So he didn't cheat. If a ref doesn't see something he can't take action.

Sure, our players did all they could and were faultless but it was all Thompson's fault.

Don't get me wrong he is a **** ref but what would he gain from cheating last night?

Also, the Malaga owner playing the racism card is the lowest of the low.

leithsansiro
10-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Craig Thomson? Is he really the best we have to offer in terms of referees? Jeez...

hibs4thecup1988
10-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Not the strongest claim there.

So he didn't cheat. If a ref doesn't see something he can't take action.

Sure, our players did all they could and were faultless but it was all Thompson's fault.

Don't get me wrong he is a **** ref but what would he gain from cheating last night?

Also, the Malaga owner playing the racism card is the lowest of the low.

On my phone so can't quote each part. But whose to say he never had thousands on borussia at half time?

As for the cup...elbow on Griffiths was horrific. That really set the scene for the day. Black ran the cup final, if he had been sent off(which he should have) I have no doubt we would have won.

As I say previously tho I don't think its cheating, I just think he is a very poor referee

Ricky Bobby
10-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Whilst he can't be blamed for the the inept offside decisions, I thought his overall performance was on a par with his usual SPL performances.
His decision making is very poor and his positioning on the pitch is even worse. He get's himself in the way of play far too often. I think he is trying to get his face on telly at every opportunity.

nonshinyfinish
10-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Here's tae us; wha's like us?

Damn few, and certainly not you Thomson, you c***! :grr:

CmoantheHibs
10-04-2013, 08:06 PM

Questions have been raised in the upper houses of Parliaments across the world. The tribute to Thatcher has been postponed. North Korea has altered the direction of its missiles.

We're furrit.

:faf:

Colonel_HFC
10-04-2013, 09:49 PM
I think the national team have already embarrassed the country enough. Craig Thomson could have sent off 4 players on each team for looking at him funny and personally scored a hat-trick and he still couldn't add to the embarrassment that the Scotland team have landed us with.

All that said, he is still an inconsistent and generally poor ref - IMHO.

Swedish hibee
10-04-2013, 10:29 PM
[QUOTE=Doddie;3560700]I consider that this OP embarrasses the whole of Hibs.net.

:top marks

Jonnyboy
10-04-2013, 10:38 PM
Amidst all this tomfoolery I'm just dying to hear what Stuart Dougal and Kenny Clark have to say about it :wink:

JimBHibees
11-04-2013, 10:47 AM
Amidst all this tomfoolery I'm just dying to hear what Stuart Dougal and Kenny Clark have to say about it :wink:

Been very quiet, of course according to Clark linesman arent able to run and look at the same time. :greengrin

JimBHibees
11-04-2013, 10:49 AM
CT and his team have been protected after inept performances time after time by the SFA.

It will be interesting to see what happens to him and his team after this debacle.

Trouble is there aren't many ref teams left in Scotland with experience or credibility.

Also CT is running out of holiday destinations where it is safe for him to go.

Lithuania every summer apparently. :greengrin

silverhibee
11-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Lithuania every summer apparently. :greengrin

Sudds_1
11-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Not the strongest claim there.So he didn't cheat. If a ref doesn't see something he can't take action.Sure, our players did all they could and were faultless but it was all Thompson's fault.Don't get me wrong he is a **** ref but what would he gain from cheating last night?Also, the Malaga owner playing the racism card is the lowest of the low....had a bet on the opposition?

LeighLoyal
11-04-2013, 11:52 AM
He is a joke referee, but incompetence doesn't excuse his uneven handling and Kujabi red card/pen at Hampden which was deliberate cheating by him.

ehf
11-04-2013, 12:42 PM
He is a joke referee, but incompetence doesn't excuse his uneven handling and Kujabi red card/pen at Hampden which was deliberate cheating by him.

Exactly. There were photos on here after the final which showed the Spanish waiter going down several yards outside the box and Thomson right up with play and having a perfect, unobstructed view. There was simply no way his decision to point to the spot could be attributable to human error (and he was ejaculating as he did so).

RecobasUncle
12-04-2013, 12:20 AM
His use of a saltire patterned kilt and sneakily attempting to flog irn-bru to foreigners combined with horrible refereeing has made me feel really ashamed to be Scottish.